• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Gwalihir

“Fifteen minutes to the Grand Opening, everyone! Just remember: our kind are cautious and more likely to arrive late rather than early. So don’t get discouraged by a modest early turnout.”

Tom Nelson strode through his new bar, checking one more time to make sure that everything was in place. Ben, his longtime companion from bar after bar, stood behind the counter pretending to straighten the bottles. Fatima, essentially the house madam, sat at the bar dressed in her finery, with half a dozen young coquettish ladies also dressed to the nines around her. Never mind that they were in fact nymphs: these customers would not care.

“Relax, Thomas,” Fatima said: “How many of these have you done: twenty, thirty? You have planned well, it will go well.”

“I do hope you’re right,” countered Tom. “Yes, I have opened many a bar: but this one is special. I have never tried to create this kind of a haven before. This time, my goals are historic: peace throughout the preternatural community. We _need_ this bar as we have never needed one before.”

“You know, Tom,” broke in Ben, “everyone sees the need for this. Everyone wants a forum where they can talk, have their opinions listened to, and not get shut out. And this is the only way that’s ever going to happen. That’s why I’m optimistic. You set a popular goal, and people will cooperate.”

Tom sighed. “Once again, I hope you’re right. I just know there are plenty of preters who have inflated opinions of themselves and believe it’s their way or the highway, regardless of any equalizing we have done. We get too many of those bopping heads in here, and we’ll be looking at a world of trouble.”

“That is a problem for another time,” Fatima assured him: “right now everybody will be new here and on their best behavior until they figure out where they fit in the scheme of things. So: why don’t you open those doors and let’s see who shows up?”

Tom nodded. “You have a strong point there. Okay: be prepared, everyone, the doors are opening now.”

Tom stepped down the half flight of stairs from the main floor to the doors and twisted three levers. Each one released a massive length of lumber that held the doors closed. Only when all three had been released could the doors in fact open. Now they swung in, and Tom was greeted by the first visitors of this first evening.

(tag)

Roxanne "Roxy" Barland
Ginger with amber eyes.jpgIt had been a strange day for Roxy. Waking up in an unfamiliar town, no clothes, no belongings; needless to say, she had been very confused. She remembered seeing things from the perspective of a wolf. Running and running and running, must have ran here. She thought it had all been a dream. It couldn't be real, could it? People turning into wolves was pure fiction, right? Maybe the dream was still going...going...and going.

The day felt like it went on forever. She hunkered down in an alley. Disheveled hair, black ball cap, black jacket, white tank top with a punkish logo she vaguely recognized, jeans, and black sneakers. The clothes were not hers, but they were well worn. She had found them behind a thrift store. She was still uneasy after stealing them. So far she was lucky enough to avoid the cops, but she could have sword the security camera saw her. Was it just for show? Out of order? Or did management think she was some homeless woman in need and didn't care? Or maybe this whole ordeal really was a dream and that's why the consequences hadn't constricted her yet.

No...this was going on too long to be a dream. "Shit!"

She wanted to call her parents, but even if she managed to find a couple quarters for a pay phone, what would she tell them? "Hey mom, some animal attacked me, so I ran and must have overdid it." "Hey dad...some piece of shit tried to kidnap me, but I got away, please come get me." She couldn't even explain what happened to herself yet.

Evening finally arrived. Getting antsy, Roxy decided to leave the alley. She needed to find a place to sleep; somewhere safe so that what ever had happened to her wouldn't repeat itself. She walked aimlessly around town. The night owls went about their business as if she didn't exist. She felt an urge to approach someone, but again, what would she even say? She shook her head and kept walking without saying a word. Deep down she felt like she was making the wrong move. "I'm just too disoriented right now...I can try getting out of here tomorrow...Mom and dad must be worried sick though...Shit!"

A sign for a bar caught her attention. Last Castle. Grand opening too. She could use a drink right now. Maybe it would help her clear her head. She didn't have any money though...maybe she could start a tab? What about ID? Maybe they wouldn't ask? If this was a dream after all, logic wouldn't apply. It would be a good test.

She stepped inside trying not to look like a lost puppy, but couldn't hide the tinge of sadness in her amber eyes. If the bar had some TVs, she wouldn't be surprised to find herself on the news.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
Fatima started to relax as the preternatural crowd filtered in. Most gravitated towards Tom, who seemed to revel in being the center of attention. Fatima could be a gracious hostess, but her preference was to be a wallflower.

Still, there were certain things that would demand her attention. One was the fresh scent of broken pine and forest leaves, and another was the scent of a first shift. Now both were in the air, and to her it was enthralling. She cast her eyes about the room and it was easy to see, among those who were comfortable in their own skins, one who decidedly was not. Disheveled hair, ill-fitting clothes, nervous glances about the room: how had she even made it in the door? Had she been human she would never have noticed the bar at all. Was the Last Castle also calling to preternaturals, drawing them in? It might be.

Fatima ordered two of her favorite drink: a smooth, sweet amaretto in sierra mist, with a splash of grenadine. She took them out on a small tray and approached the young lady.

“Hey, there. You look like you could use one of these. Maybe more than one, but we can work that out later.”

Fatima took whichever of the glasses the girl did not take, and leaned against a barstool.

“Actually, you look like someone who just spent the night running through the forest without any idea why. Don’t worry: been there, done that. Care to freshen up in the restroom and talk about it?”

shadowdude505 shadowdude505

Roxanne “Roxy” Barland

Roxy flinched as a voice called out to her. She didn’t expect that anyone would try to talk to her so soon after entering.

Her eyes focused on Fatima, but didn’t quite make eye contact. Her gaze soon shifted down to the drink tray.

“Thanks.” She grabbed one of the drinks and guzzled it down; she hadn’t ate or drank in a while.

She placed the empty glass back on the tray and wiped her mouth with a hand. She gave Fatima a nod before walking into the bathroom. She sent a couple minutes splashing water on her face.

When she walked out of the bathroom, she started to glance around as she looked for Fatima; taking a seat beside her afterword.

“Where the hell do I even begin...”

As if on cue, a news bulletin replaced the music that had been playing inside the bar. Roxy froze in her seat; she wasn't right next to the radio, but she was hearing like was. "Shit...they're talking about me," she thought. She shouldn't be surprised, she anticipated something like this, but she hadn't been prepared to hear it. The news report detailed what they knew about her disappearance from the woods near her hometown, or what little they knew anyway.

"Roxanne Barland, 21, disappeared last night during a family camping trip. All that remains are her shredded clothes and personal belongings. No blood to be found anywhere on the scene. Was this a strange animal encounter? Or was she kidnapped by a different kind of predator? The police are just as puzzled as we are."

Roxy stiffly stared at the table top while the news man talked, but her head snapped to attention as she heard a familiar voice; her mother. "My baby is out there somewhere, I just know it. Please...don't stop looking for her."

There was static and then the music resumed.

Fighting tears, Roxy clenched her fists on top of the table. "Forget dream...this is a fucking nightmare...," she said to herself.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
<< “Thanks.” She grabbed one of the drinks and guzzled it down; she hadn’t ate or drank in a while. >>

“Good thing I didn’t make that a Long Island Tea,” Fatima chuckled. “I’ll wait for you at a table, then.”

<< When she walked out of the bathroom, she started to glance around as she looked for Fatima; taking a seat beside her afterword.

“Where the hell do I even begin...” >>

“Let me see if I can make this a bit easier,” said Fatima: “You went to bed in a safe place, but you seem to remember running through the woods last night, not as yourself but as a wolf.” Fatima inhaled. “You didn’t kill and eat a prey animal, or I would smell the blood on you. But you woke this morning naked, in a completely different place than you went to sleep. I know: it seems like a dream…”

<< "Roxanne Barland, 21, disappeared last night during a family camping trip. All that remains are her shredded clothes and personal belongings. No blood to be found anywhere on the scene… >>

Fatima noticed the girl’s distraction. “Is that you they’re talking about? I am guessing it is. But like I said, don’t worry: I’ve been there. You’re starting a new life, and I can help you…”

"Ya...that's me." Roxy replied, wiping her teary eyes.

"Are you saying...I'm a werewolf now? And...you are too?" She wanted to protest, but it all started making too much sense now. "There was a full moon last night...Shit! That wolf attack!" She rolled up her right jacket sleeve, revealing the scarred scratch mark on her arm. "...That wasn't a wolf was it?" she asked rhetorically. She started at the scar for a moment. "Guess that makes me some kind of superhero...," she remarked as she rolled the sleeve back down; her train-of-thought teased the circumstances on how she got the scar.

She turned her gaze toward Fatima. "So...what's your name? You've heard mine; I go by Roxy."

"And what do you mean by 'help?' What is this place?"

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
<< "Are you saying...I'm a werewolf now? And...you are too?" >>

Fatima nodded. “Now you’re getting it. I know it’s a lot to absorb, but you hit the nail on the head.

“Yes, werewolves are real. So are vampires, and a lot of other magical creatures generally known as fae. And now you’re a part of their world.”

<< "...That wasn't a wolf was it?" she asked rhetorically. She started at the scar for a moment. "Guess that makes me some kind of superhero...," >>

Fatima shook her head, then laughed. “No, that was not a real wolf. And I suppose you could consider this a superhero thing. Regular weapons won’t kill you, only silver or magical ones. You are stronger and faster than a human can even dream of. You will barely age at all.

“But you won’t be able to go public with it. No running around taking down villains or anything: if the public found out about preternaturals, they’d crucify every one of us. You will have to be careful.”

<< She turned her gaze toward Fatima. "So...what's your name? You've heard mine; I go by Roxy."

"And what do you mean by 'help?' What is this place?" >>

“I’m Fatima. Nice to meet you, Roxy. And what I mean is, you are going to have to make some changes in your life now. We can help you through that, figure out what you want to do. You probably don’t want to risk turning your family members. You may want to relocate, and sever all ties. But if you decide to stay there, we’ll try to help you with that, too.

“And this place? It’s a gathering place for preternaturals. Everyone you see around you is either a werewolf, a vampire, some type of fae or magical human. Usually there is a lot of arguing between members of different races, but this place is a sanctuary. No one will try to hurt you here.

“I am sure you have many questions still. Feel free to ask away. The more you know, the better prepared you will be to meet your Pack. Azalea and I will be happy to help you in any way you choose for that.”

Fatima nodded at the singer on stage at the moment. “Azalea is kind of a nature witch, focused on werewolves. She usually introduces new members to the Pack, but since she was busy, I thought I’d pitch in. You can ask her and me anything you wish.”

“And when we are done here, we have rooms upstairs where you can stay while we straighten this all out. I am sure you are wanting a hot shower. There’s a warm bed as well, but tonight is still a full moon, so you’ll be wolfing out again. Azalea will lead you back here tonight when you’re done, and then you can get a rest.”

Werewolves, vampires, and other things. It was like a Twilight fan-fiction, but it was actually real. It was a lot to take in. For a moment, Roxy sat quietly, thinking about what she should do next.

"I think I'll take you up on all that...I think it would be best if I stayed here and get adjusted; though, I'd need money to get my own place. Is there any work around here? Maybe you could use another waitress or something?" she asked.

"I could go for a hot shower, but it would be nice to have another set of clothes. This is all I've got right now..."

"...An I meeting the pact tonight, then? If I transformed in my room, would I be locked in? Would I have to wait for someone to get me? Is there a doggie door? Would that be considered offensive? What should I expect? Are they a bit aggressive toward outsiders? Are they all werewolves...or are there some regular wolves mixed in?"

"Is that too many questions?"

Gwalihir Gwalihir

<< "I think I'll take you up on all that… Maybe you could use another waitress or something?" she asked. >>

“I’ll speak to Tom about it, but I am sure the answer will be yes. And you should find it interesting getting to know some of our patrons.”

<< "I could go for a hot shower, but it would be nice to have another set of clothes. This is all I've got right now..." >>

Fatima nodded. “For now, what you really need is just a robe for when you step out of the shower. Moonrise is just an hour away: no point dressing up nicely and ripping them all to shreds minutes later. We’ll get you a robe, and something comfortable for tomorrow.”

<< "...Am I meeting the pact tonight, then? If I transformed in my room….

"Is that too many questions?" >>

Fatima laughed as Roxy spouted off question after question. “_Almost_ too many questions, but I think we can manage.

“Yes, you will meet the pack tonight. Azalea and I will both be there to help you through. You will transform in your room: leave the back window open and you can get out down the fire escape. Tonight there will be a spirit guide to lead you: follow it, and all will be well.

“As far as aggression: you will meet what you take. If you are aggressive, they will respond in kind: if you are calm, they will be calm. There may be some violence tonight, but not directed at you, so stay calm. Justice in the Pack can seem a little harsh to an outsider.

“There will be times when the Pack runs with regular wolves, but not tonight. Tonight is business, and that doesn’t concern the brethren, as we call real wolves.

“So: I’ll have one of the girls bring you a robe and show you to your rooms upstairs. I will see you later tonight, but in wolf form. Go on, then: enjoy your evening!”

Almost too many questions. Roxy sheepishly brushed her hair to the side with her hand, but Fatima didn't seem to be bothered by her noobish questions.

"Thanks. I will," she replied. After her strange day, the thought of relaxing was a godsend.

it wasn’t long before she was ushered up to a room and given a bath robe. She nodded her thanks, and once the door was closed, wasted no time getting into the bathroom.

She sighed happily as the warm water ran down her skin. It was just what the doctor ordered. It was so relaxing that she spent a little longer in the shower than she usually would, but not to long for nightfall to hit.

After her shower, she dried off and changed into the robe. She opened the window before she plopped herself down on the bed. She wasn’t intending to fall asleep, but she couldn’t help letting out a yawn and must have dozed off at some point.

When she woke up, she saw paws instead of hands. Fearing that she was running late, she wiggled out from the robe and hopped onto the floor. She was about to rush out the window, when she caught sight of herself in the mirror. A beautiful red wolf was staring back.
Red-wolf.jpg
“Woah!” She exclaimed, awestruck. She inched closer to the mirror, but suddenly stopped herself. She didn’t want to be late, if she wasn’t already.

She jumped out the window and ran down the fire escape. That’s when she spotted a ghostly white wolf. Before all this, she would have thought it an odd sight, but now, her new werewolf instincts were compelling her to follow; she didn’t give it a second thought.

Feeling the wind in her fur, Roxy sported a wolfy grin as she ran after the white wolf.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
<< Feeling the wind in her fur, Roxy sported a wolfy grin as she ran after the white wolf. >>

Roxy didn’t know how long she ran for, but it was a while. They left the town and went deep into the woods, until they reached a clearing. The ghostly figure turned towards her, then slowly transformed to the living figure of a woman. Roxy vaguely recognized the singer who had been onstage at the club. The woman smiled and approached Roxy.

“Hi, there. We haven’t been introduced yet, but I’m Azalea Vargamor. My, you make a lovely wolf!

“In just a bit we’re going to have company. Don’t be scared: they’re here to welcome you to the Pack.”

Azalea reached out to stroke Roxy’s face. “I can see you’re a Beta: a lover, not a fighter. That’s good: you won’t have to go through a trial of initiation. See? Here come some of the Pack now!”

Indeed, wolves were gathering in the clearing in a circle around Roxy. One wolf approached the two of them and touched noses with Roxy. Roxy could immediately tell this wolf was Fatima, just in another form. Azalea stepped away to allow them to speak.

“Hi, Roxy! Wow, you’re beautiful! The boys will be fighting over you! Don’t worry: They are under strict instructions to leave you alone for a time, let you get used to your new skin.

“In the meantime, it’s time to meet Lucas, the Pack Leader. Allow me to introduce you.”

A large wolf was approaching, a male with a thick grey mane and a commanding presence. Fatima lowered her head to him briefly, then spoke.

“Greetings, Lucas. Allow me to introduce Roxy. This is her second night as a wolf: she was apparently turned the last full moon.”

Lucas growled and spoke to the Pack. “Is this true? Has somebody from this Pack risked us being found out, by infecting a human? I will have their name: come forward, and acknowledge your work.”

He turned back to Roxy and took a deep scent. “Don’t worry, little one. None of this reflects on you. Welcome to the Pack.”

First Azalea, then Fatima; Roxy blushed at the remarks on her beauty. Was it noticeable as a wolf, or was it more of a body language thing in this form? "T..thanks...," she stuttered.

She was a little relived that the boys wouldn't try to hit on her right away. What was the courting ritual of the werewolf like anyway? A mixture of human and wolf culture? On second thought, she didn't really want to know at the moment.

Following Fatima's example, Roxy also bowed toward Lucas. "Thank you, sir," she replied. "...Though I doubt it was one of your pack members. I'm originally from a few towns over...so...unless your territory is just really big...," her voice trailed off. She was a little nervous despite how well the pack meeting seemed to be going at the moment.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

<< Roxy also bowed toward Lucas. "Thank you, sir," she replied. "...Though I doubt it was one of your pack members. I'm originally from a few towns over...so...unless your territory is just really big...," >>

Lucas nodded. “Civil and courteous. Very good. Fatima: do you vouch for this newcomer?”

Fatima nodded. “I do. She is as she seems, a good soul. She will be a fine addition to the Pack.”

Lucas turned back to Roxy. “If you were able to travel here in a night, then you were still in my territory. Yes, in human terms, it is big. But for Packs, it is actually fairly small. We only have about a hundred wolves in the Pack. As you can guess, that means we are rather scattered.”

Looking around, Roxy could see there were probably close to a hundred wolves gathered.

Lucas let out a brief howl, then spoke quietly to Roxy. “As they come by, greet your new Pack members. But be sure to let me know if you smell the one who attacked you. I know, it seems odd that you would remember, but trust me, you will.”

The wolves filed by, each one touching noses with her in turn and greeting her with varied tones of acceptance. With each one, she sensed an individual behind that particular scent: ones she was not likely to forget, though there were so many. And then came one, a dark wolf that she immediately recognized by sight, and yes, by smell. From his guarded “welcome,” she could tell he recognized her, too...

The number of wolves was almost overwhelming. She was a bit shy when greeting the first few wolves, but started to get more relaxed as she repeated the process. Her tail wagged as the pack began to feel more like her family, but all of that changed when she caught the sight and scent of the dark wolf.

Her ears drooped in fear and took a step back. "It's him!" she gasped. "W...why...?" her voice cracked. She wanted to ask why he tried to attack her friends, but she couldn't get the rest of the words out.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
<< "It's him!" she gasped. "W...why?" her voice cracked. >>

The Pack moved like a wave. Suddenly the smaller less aggressive wolves were on the outside of a circle made up of the larger more aggressive ones, who circled around the dark wolf in the center. He was a larger aggressive wolf himself, but seemed small compared to the other brutes. He turned round about as if looking for a way to escape and finding none. Lucas approached and cuffed him, hard.

“Answer the lady, Altheus. Why did you change her life forever? Why did you risk the security of the Pack and all the Tribes?” Lucas snarled.

Altheus was knocked over by the blow, but was quickly back on his feet. His head was low and his ears back, but his teeth were bared and he snarled in return. “They were on my turf! My hunting ground! I only meant to scare them away. How did I know she would jump up in front of her mate? She didn’t look the type. So I snapped at her and because she moved, I got her when I meant to miss. Could have happened to any of you.”

“Any of us stupid enough to confront humans, you mean,” growled Lucas. “You had no business being there. Your turf is large enough to hunt elsewhere. That’s not an excuse.”

“What would be, oh, Great Pack Leader? If I were one of your favorites we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Who are you to play favorites and judge among us?”

Obviously furious, Lucas launched himself at Altheus. Altheus tried to defend himself but got cuffed to one side, then the other, then Lucas locked his jaws around the dark wolf’s neck and shook him hard. Then he flung him down and caught one of Altheus’ rear legs in his jaws. Roxy could hear bones crack, and Altheus yelped.

“Oh, brave Altheus. Bave and stupid Altheus. By challenging me you escaped the wrath of the Pack, but not mine. Azalea, do not heal him until the next full moon. A limp may teach him the error of his ways.”

Azalea bowed. “As you wish, Lucas. But little teaches humility like having to apologize.”

Lucas gave a short bark, which Roxy took to be equivalent to a laugh. “Indeed.”

He placed his foot on the neck of the defeated Altheus and pressed down, grinding the dark wolf’s chin into the ground.

“You will apologize to the young lady for attacking her and her kin. Then you will apologize to me for challenging my authority. And finally, you will apologize to the Pack for placing us all at risk.”

The dark wolf’s resistance was gone. He turned his eyes towards Roxy. “I-, I am sorry for attacking you. It was not my place to do so…”

It was an accident? Meant to scare us? She wasn't sure if Altheus was telling the full truth, but she didn't know him well enough to not take his words at face value.

"Mate?" That word stuck out to her. He was talking about Randy. Was that how Altheus saw them? She liked Randy, sure, but she didn't see him that way...or did she? While the fight started, Roxy zoned out. She drooped her head toward the ground, lowered her ears, and stared at the grass (without really staring at it.) "Randy..." If she had fell in love with him at some point, there'd be no chance for romance now. She didn't want to turn him against his will. There was no doubt in her mind that he'd keep her secret, but she didn't want to drag him into the drama either. If the humans found out about werewolves, would they try to kill him too if he knew and didn't join in on the eradication? Could they really be friends anymore?

A crunching sound brought Roxy out of her thinking spell. She quickly looked up and noticed Lucas crushing Altheus' leg. She winced at the sight, but it looked like the ordeal had knocked some sense into the dark wolf.

"Apology...accepted...," she said softly. She wasn't sure if she was ready to forgive him. If he had been telling the truth, that would mean she was an accidental werewolf. It was a lot to process; she almost wished that he had done it on purpose.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
<< "Apology...accepted...," she said softly. >>

“Courteous and gracious as well,” Lucas growled his appreciation. Then he turned back to Altheus. “Now: tell me why I should be so gracious to you.” He flipped the dark wolf over and set his jaws at Altheus’ throat. “Make it good, or else…”

Altheus gasped as Lucas closed his jaws. “You’re right,” he gasped, “I said it to save myself from the Pack. I spoke out of turn. You have been gracious: I have not seen you play favorites. I just said what I did to challenge you, unfairly. Forgive me, please.”

Lucas released his grip on Altheus’ throat. “Well spoken. Good for you. Now: apologize to the Pack.”

Altheus sat up and faced the ring of wolves who surrounded him. “I beg your pardons, all of you. I was arrogant, and pressed my claim where I should not. I made a mistake, and I placed us all in jeopardy. I will be more discreet in the future.”

The members of the Pack looked silently to Lucas, who appeared to be satisfied. “You are hereby demoted from the Council. When you are ready, you may challenge to be accepted once more. But beyond that, you are forgiven.”

Lucas turned back to the Pack. “Is there any other Pack business to attend to this evening? If there is not, feel free to mingle. Tomorrow, we each hunt on our own turf. Roxy: tomorrow, Azalea will help you to negotiate a turf of your own.”

The circle slowly broke up into wolves congregating in smaller groups throughout the clearing. Roxy could see Fatima approaching her from one direction, and two wolves whom she identified as young male Betas approaching from another. Fatima reached her first.

“Well! An exciting first night for you, no? And it looks like yet another bit of fun. Don’t worry about the boys. They are friendly, and won’t bite. But set your boundaries if you have to. No need to let them get too friendly!”

Fatima stepped back, out of the way but not gone, as the two males approached. One of them spoke up. “Hello! I’m Chuck, this is Amos, and we just wanted to say welcome to the Pack again!

“So, if you don’t mind us asking, where do you come from? What do you do, what do you like to do? Just curious about you…”

It was like a nature documentary was playing out in front of her. A male challenged the alpha, but the alpha lives to lead until the next challenge eventually pops up. Altheus was lucky; Lucas could have killed him.

Exciting first night was an understatement. Roxy's head was spinning with information. Tomorrow night she'd be forming her own territory. Did that mean there'd be another full moon tomorrow?

She wanted to talk to Fatima, but two male werewolves started to talk to her before she got the chance.

"I'm from a town called Rocksprings...," she replied. She got the feeling that Amos and Chuck were low-key trying to flirt with her, or maybe her brain was still stuck on the word: mate.

"Look, fellas...it's been a weird day. Brain's pretty fried," she added, trying to sound as friendly as possible. "I'd like to head back to the bar." She glanced over at Fatima.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

<< "Look, fellas...it's been a weird day. Brain's pretty fried," she added, trying to sound as friendly as possible. "I'd like to head back to the bar." She glanced over at Fatima. >>

Fatima chuckled and approached again. “Go on, boys: you know she’s off limits right now anyways.”

“No harm in a friendly greeting, right? Maybe some other time…” Chuck answered.

Chuck and Amos moved off, and Roxy was left alone with Fatima. “I’m sure you have tons of questions,” Fatima said. “I’m happy to answer. If you’re ready to go back home, we can walk and talk on the way, or we could run now and talk later. Up to you…”

"Let's walk and talk," Roxy replied.

As she started to walk, she began to formulate questions. There was still a lot she could ask.

"If I'm getting a hunting territory tomorrow, does that mean there's going to be another full moon? Or is there some other way to become a werewolf?"

She waited for a reply and then asked. "How would I know what days were meeting as a pack? Is it usually on full moons?"

"How is being a werewolf going to affect my work schedule? Assuming that's been worked out...Should I talk to Tom when we get back?"

"Is Lucas always hostile toward a werewolf that turns someone, or does it depend on how they replied? Let's say, hypothetically, someone wanted to turn..."
She was thinking of Randy again, though she didn't think she had it in her to ask him at the moment. Keeping her distance and secret seemed like the best course of action, but how long would that actually work?

Her family seemed to think she was missing, judging from what she heard on the radio earlier. Once the thrift store realized what they had, it would only be a matter of time before they tried to find or; if the police didn't find her first. "Any advice about what I should do about my family? It feels wrong not telling them I'm OK..."

Gwalihir Gwalihir

<< "If I'm getting a hunting territory tomorrow, does that mean there's going to be another full moon? Or is there some other way to become a werewolf?" >>

“There are three nights of the full moon each month. And no, until you have been a werewolf at least a hundred years, your only way of turning is the full moon, or Azalea or other magics.”

<< "How would I know what days we’re meeting as a pack? Is it usually on full moons?" >>

“The first full moon, everyone runs free on their own turf. Second moon, everyone gathers for the Pack meeting. Third moon, run free again.

“Until now, there was no safe place for the Pack to meet as humans. We don’t know yet if Lucas will be expecting full meetings sometime outside of the full moon, or just he and the Council. That seems more likely, though.”

<< "How is being a werewolf going to affect my work schedule? Assuming that's been worked out...Should I talk to Tom when we get back?" >>

“Obviously Tom knows all about your situation, and of course your schedule will be adjusted. You won’t be expected to work on full moon nights, of course.”

<< "Is Lucas always hostile toward a werewolf that turns someone, or does it depend on how they replied? Let's say, hypothetically, someone wanted to turn..." >>

Fatima stopped walking and turned to face Roxy. “Let’s not go there. ‘Hypothetically,’ there are times when it is valid to turn a person, but that’s rare. First, you would ask consideration from Lucas to allow it. Lucas and other Pack members would check out the person you were asking about. Then, if they all agree, he or she would be brought to the Pack meeting to see how they interact with the rest of the Pack. The following month the Pack members would vote on whether to include the new person or not. Three votes against, and they are not allowed. Less than that, and they are invited back the next month where they would vow to give up all of their former lives and start over fresh, with a new identity. It’s very solemn and ceremonial, and in twenty years I’ve seen it happen five times.

“As far as turning someone without Lucas’ consent, yes, that would wind up a very hostile situation. You don’t want to do that.”

<< "Any advice about what I should do about my family? It feels wrong not telling them I'm OK..." >>

“Aah, yes: the family…” Fatima turned and continued to walk towards home. “They will rest easier knowing you’re okay, and when you move and tell them they won’t hunt you down. We need to figure out some story to tell them that they’ll buy about your disappearance: maybe that you went out to relieve yourself and got attacked by a would-be rapist, fought them off but lost your clothes and banged your head and couldn’t find your way back to the campsite. Not ideal, but it will keep them from losing sleep anymore. We could say that I found you and took you in, let you rest up, and we formed a strong bond, which is why you choose to move down here. That could work. Feel free to think of anything else that might help, but best to keep it simple and as close to the truth as possible.

“What do you think? Does that cover all the bases?”

Roxy nodded, packing away the info.

"I think that covers everything, but there's one complication," she replied. "The thrift store I stole the clothes from...I need to pay them back...and there was a camera. If it was working, it could complicate our story if they send it to the media... Do you think that's something Tom could cover up? If he hasn't caught on already. I get the feeling you guys have helped a lot of my kind over the years..."

Gwalihir Gwalihir

“You’re very thorough. That’s good,” said Fatima.

“If we compose the right story, which maybe we already have, it won’t contradict anything about your little raid on the thrift shop. You were attacked, stripped of your clothing, but fought your way free, even though you bumped your head. Of course you grabbed the first clothes you found: who wouldn’t?”

“And yes, we can send one of the wolves around with a payment. He can say you’re too embarrassed to show your face, but you wanted to pay them properly. He’ll claim to be your brother, or something.”

“And you are correct: Tom has been assisting new wolves and vampires for almost a hundred years now, and knows all the tricks of the trade. Just as Azalea and I have helped you, he will be glad to lend his assistance.”

At this point they had reached the backstreet behind the bar. “Time to rest,” said Fatima, “and we can deal with this some more tomorrow morning, okay?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back