• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic [OOC] Sail the Stars : Living Quarters

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Gonna assume you've never seen

Gonna assume you're not familiar with certain 40K tyrannids or Alien Isolation :y
Nope. I seek balance in everything though. For every strength of a character, there must also be a corresponding weakness. You can't have a tank sneak like a rogue and you can't expect a rogue to have the strength and defences of a tank. In your CS I see an overload of strengths yet can't really find a single weakness. Then again, I'm not the GM so I'll leave you to sort it out with BlobMan.

Oh that is fair, but I was throwing around suggestions. I don't like the idea of locking people into rigid roles based on their physicality personally. Regardless, I lean towards picking up; maybe they get a communications from him near where their first mission is.

For the sake of simplicity I'd lrefer "was always there" or new recruitment at a mission or something. Sneaking in doesn't fit with becoming friends. This isn't anime.... yet?

True. Was going with him being just a dude with a questionable sense of manners but we can go that he lumbered in late.

I'll do bug in a box after I get up. It's nearly 4 AM. I'm thinking they had robots or something trabspirt it to the cargo bay without checking what was in it; it was simply tagged for storage on the Essex.

I was thinking he could be picked up later - maybe they're informed they'll have someone joining them for the forthcoming mission.

Or he just sneaked on board because he is a sneaky bug.

As for suggestions, I think this could be fun. The crew hired to disable "rogue ordnance" - experimental bioweapons created by some corporation from stolen vrexul archaeotech at an abandoned research facility. The thing is the actual vrexul are also there and these bioweapons are very, very predatory and clever.
Yeah. We’ll take a while to get to places in the galaxy. OP said human had colonised 40% of milky way galaxy, so for the sake of easy calculations I’ll just take that as ships can travel 40,000 lightyears (as our galaxy is 100,000 ly across) in a reasonable time, like, 4 years, we’re going for 10,000 times the speed of light. So, say we’re going for a place, say, 200 lightyears away, it would take a bit more than a week to get there. Let’s just do the box entrance.
DACE301F-22CD-447C-BC61-2FD3DAC20D63.png

Last edited:
Yeah. We’ll take a while to get to places in the galaxy. OP said human had colonised 40% of milky way galaxy, so for the sake of easy calculations I’ll just take that as ships can travel 40,000 lightyears (as our galaxy is 100,000 ly across) in a reasonable time, like, 4 years, we’re going for 10,000 times the speed of light. So, say we’re going for a place, say, 200 lightyears away, it would take a bit more than a week to get there. Let’s just do the box entrance.
View attachment 857886

Hmmm... I do have a suggestion of my own regarding speed. For narrative purposes, the space ship is effectively treated as regular ship travel. As such, I think it would be useful to make the distances in the galaxy equivalent to the sea distances. I'll make an equivalent of the galaxy size and the size of the Earth's circumference times 0.75 and I'll use the speed of travel of a cruiser for comparison.

40075 * 0.75 = 30056.25

30056.25x = 100 000 * 9.7 trillion <=> x = (100000 * 9.7 /30056.25) trillion = 32.2728217925 trillion (aprox 32.27 trillion)

According to google, a cruise ship goes 20 knots per hour or 37.04 km/h.

30056.25 / 37.04 = 811.453833693

divided by 24 that is 33.8105764039

37.04 * 32.27 / 9.7 = 123.224824742

So approximately 33.81 days to cross the galaxy travelling at a speed of approximately 123.2248 light years per hour.

Again, these numbers are based on what we want narratively speaking, rather than anything that would be realistic (though I think from the moment a ship can travel faster than the speed of light realistic physics are already pretty much out the window, but I digress).

33 days to go cross the galaxy would be too fast for it’s own good, for comparison modern day world cruises are three to four months long, often 120 days or something, average freight voyage take 40-50 days. And I think it would be better to make the sense of scale of the galaxy more standout as it’s real fucking big. And narratively speaking it would be appropriate to say it would take several years to go across the milky way, as it’s also the amount of time people in the age of discovery took to sail around the world (like Magellan's men took 3 years for the Magellan-Elcano circumnavigation)

Last edited:
I picked Alcubierre Drive because it’s theoretically possible and easy to understand. Rather than exceeding the speed of light within a local reference frame, it shifts space around an object so that the object would arrive at its destination more quickly than light would in normal space without breaking any physical laws. We also don’t have to worry about time dilation since strictly speaking, a spacecraft that is driven by warp drive is stationary while space itself is “pushing” it and the ship is in it’s own reference frame, as the speed is zero then naturally there will be no relativistic effect.

as for the power source for this stuff...i dunno, harvest from quantum fluctuations i guess. which are always created in particle-antiparticle pairs and annihilate each other. Since they are created spontaneously without a source of energy, vacuum fluctuations and virtual particles are said to violate the conservation of energy. This is theoretically allowable because the particles annihilate each other within a time limit determined by the uncertainty principle so they are not directly observable. Or you guys could invent some technobabble for this stuff if need be.
B109DC9E-ED1E-4ECF-86F1-55FB26686574.jpeg

Lol, but isn't it fun to have some sort of basis in quasi-science in a futuristic fantasy...what i'm going for is presuming human have solved the Theory of Everything and the four fundamental force (strong nuclear, weak nuclear, electromagnetic and gravity) had been combined into unified formula, so with the framework based on ToE human could transform energy into gravitational force the same way we control electromagnetic stove, then we can use gravity to bend space to make warp drive, create artificial gravity in spacecraft, use strong interaction to make durable ship hull etc etc.

What actually bugs me as a kid in those sci fi show is how we convinced everyone in the galaxy to use the same standard of time based on Earth....I imagined human terrorising every alien they came across. "A day is 24 hours, an hour is 60 minutes, a minute is 60 seconds, a second is the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom, ACCEPT IT OR FACE TOTAL ANNIHILATION"

Lol, but isn't it fun to have some sort of basis in quasi-science in a futuristic fantasy...what i'm going for is presuming human have solved the Theory of Everything and the four fundamental force (strong nuclear, weak nuclear, electromagnetic and gravity) had been combined into unified formula, so with the framework based on ToE human could transform energy into gravitational force the same way we control electromagnetic stove, then we can use gravity to bend space to make warp drive, create artificial gravity in spacecraft, use strong interaction to make durable ship hull etc etc.

What actually bugs me as a kid in those sci fi show is how we convinced everyone in the galaxy to use the same standard of time based on Earth....I imagined human terrorising every alien they came across. "A day is 24 hours, an hour is 60 minutes, a minute is 60 seconds, a second is the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom, ACCEPT IT OR FACE TOTAL ANNIHILATION"

It could just be a bi-product of translation, translating their measure of time into one the humans could understand easily.

I imagined human terrorising every alien they came across. "A day is 24 hours, an hour is 60 minutes, a minute is 60 seconds, a second is the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom, ACCEPT IT OR FACE TOTAL ANNIHILATION"
Good luck explaining time to inhabitants of a tidally locked planet without day-night-cycles, seasons etc.

hmm, i'd imagine calendar based solely on movement of constellations?
I'm talking about Gehenna. Since their red dwarf star is in a permanent sunset/sunrise position aka permanent red sky, stars are barely visible. They rely more on counting the time between flares or using hourglasses. Overall though, time is meaningless to them.

I'm talking about Gehenna. Since their red dwarf star is in a permanent sunset/sunrise position aka permanent red sky, stars are barely visible. They rely more on counting the time between flares or using hourglasses. Overall though, time is meaningless to them.
"So how old was he when Keith died?" "Good question"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back