• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Of Black Waters - A Witcher 3 inspired, dark fantasy RP (Accepting)

Aww yiss.

We gotta have SOME dark humor and satire :blowkiss:
I'm seriously excited. I'm definitely going for the unwilling King Arthur route. Everyone will be talking about how he's the man destined to unite the world under one kingdom, and to once again bring peace, all the while he's just like, "Uhh... I'm just a blacksmith's son...I shouldn't be here."

Afternoon. I just happened by this thread and was instantly intrigued. It isn't often we have dark fantasy rps on the board anymore, so your rp is a fortunate breath of fresh air.

I am assuming it is low medieval fantasy?

I'm seriously excited. I'm definitely going for the unwilling King Arthur route. Everyone will be talking about how he's the man destined to unite the world under one kingdom, and to once again bring peace, all the while he's just like, "Uhh... I'm just a blacksmith's son...I shouldn't be here."
I love it. I love this, I love...you.

Uhh...thanks? Glad ya like it! I'm also tying the idea of fate into his character, that everything that's happened to him has been controlled by outside forces.

Afternoon. I just happened by this thread and was instantly intrigued. It isn't often we have dark fantasy rps on the board anymore, so your rp is a fortunate breath of fresh air.

I am assuming it is low medieval fantasy?
We don't have dark fantasy rps very often on rpn? Huh...didn't know that. Then again I've only joined like 2 things in 3 years (?)

If by 'low medieval fantasy' you mean 'intrusion fantasy genre', then yeah, borderline that. I'm playing fast and loose here. The key requirement is people cannot be a lvl 99999 bad-ass to start, and an element of overwhelm/surprise/confusion/subverted expectations must exist.

We gotta' struggle before we get good. 🙏

We don't have dark fantasy rps very often on rpn? Huh...didn't know that. Then again I've only joined like 2 things in 3 years (?)

If by 'low medieval fantasy' you mean 'intrusion fantasy genre', then yeah, borderline that. I'm playing fast and loose here. The key requirement is people cannot be a lvl 99999 bad-ass to start, and an element of overwhelm/surprise/confusion/subverted expectations must exist.

We gotta' struggle before we get good. 🙏

There are occasional dark fantasies on RPN. Just hardly any that sound this appealing. I'm also kind of rusty as the last rp I joined was in the neighborhood of October of last year (for the same reason of lack of interesting material).

Anyways, by low fantasy I was talking about our characters are going to be mostly human, right? And aside from the monsters, we're interacting with other humans. Elves and such like in the actual Witcher aren't in this, correct?

There are occasional dark fantasies on RPN. Just hardly any that sound this appealing. I'm also kind of rusty as the last rp I joined was in the neighborhood of October of last year (for the same reason of lack of interesting material).

Anyways, by low fantasy I was talking about our characters are going to be mostly human, right? And aside from the monsters, we're interacting with other humans. Elves and such like in the actual Witcher aren't in this, correct?

I don't quite have a simple answer.

If someone makes a case for why their fantasy race works, and it's compelling, then I'm good.

For example, where would an Elf come from, how wouldn't people recognize them, and why is "The Black Waters Did A Thing" the inciting incident in their species' timeline to show up now? Would they be in hiding? Were there any creatures already in Seldona, but hidden away (and how)? What can we do with what exists, and what can we paint together, within the framework?

Another example: if we (as players) like vampires as a concept, is vampirism a sickness, another species altogether, or is it like The Vampire Chronicles and a highkey demon-energy-spirit-thing that infiltrated after Tybalt's crew screws up the world? Can it infect randos?

WAS Tybalt's crew the reason for the Monster Crap going down? Or...does he only think it is? Has this all happened before?

I have no answers. :p I want us to decide. (We have a player with a lowkey ancient Witch in her backstory; this suggests all this Evil Crap has happened before. I encourage adapting the very loose lore.)

I'm expecting a majority human cast, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get someone more fantastical. There's a high likelihood sentient monsters are out and about, doing their thing, also. The main thing here is the average person is too dump-truck stupid and feeble to know how to deal with a bile-puking Basilisk on steroids.

I don't know if this quite answers your question.

My answer is: if it makes sense and makes people happy, we can flex in the direction we want. We'z a community~

Typical fantasy-medieval fare, yes? Or is this erring more toward bloodborne/warhammer in regards to infrastructure?

Typical fantasy-medieval fare, yes? Or is this erring more toward bloodborne/warhammer in regards to infrastructure?
I mean...I don't know if I'd call it typical fantasy-medieval.
For more info you could check out the main thread, or for a really quick TLDR:

"What if Witcher didn't have Geralt, the Conjunction of the Spheres was extremely recent, nobody is prepared for anything, the True Heroes are still level 1 noobs just starting their adventure, and oh look at that giant amalgamated monster made of 72 babies slapped together with sinew who wants to suck out our souls, hey how are you?"

Throw in a hot side-helping of dark demonic deities vying for control, entitled royalty ruining lives, big boobed barmaids, pitiful peasants proving as smart as potatoes, confused creatures acting curiously kind, and all the lore of the world basically being borderline botched (reality rarely matches up with fairytales), and you've got a recipe for a sandbox that does what you want it to.

I can't make this simple by saying 'fantasy-medival or warhammer/etc'. I have a bunch of quests charted, but at the end of the day, we're building this together.

I hope this helps?

“Typical” did come across as somewhat dismissive. That wasn’t my intent.

I suppose I mean somewhere along historical lines of the War of the Roses as far as worldbuilding goes. Before the time of pike-and-musket warfare. A correct assumption based on the tldr in the main thread?

“Typical” did come across as somewhat dismissive. That wasn’t my intent.

I suppose I mean somewhere along historical lines of the War of the Roses as far as worldbuilding goes. Before the time of pike-and-musket warfare. A correct assumption based on the tldr in the main thread?
Naw, I didn't take it as dismissive. I'm just trying to answer your question around a very amorphous world that we're all spilling some ink on top of.
Yes, before pike-and-musket. :) Yes, more 'War of the Roses'. Arrows, shields, swords, et al.

Where it gets tricky is adding the splash of magic. I don't assume anything CANNOT happen, now that the world has been Bad Touched by Badness.

Just got my character up! Sorry if it's a bit plain. Like it says on my post, I've been going through a lot lately, and just wanted him up as soon as I could.

Thank you!
I love Addam so far! Can't wait to read his backstory; but totally can wait, because you've had a long week. What I mean to say is I dig the idea, and I'm happy you tied into 'what he's doing next' to Medreen. AKA: giving him a reason to be there. I'm very excited. :)

I also really enjoy that he's a somewhat reluctant hero/sort of just has this hoisted on him. It's a lot to grapple with.
If you have any time at all, and want to bum around the Discord, feel free! I can PM you the link if you want.

I love Addam so far! Can't wait to read his backstory; but totally can wait, because you've had a long week. What I mean to say is I dig the idea, and I'm happy you tied into 'what he's doing next' to Medreen. AKA: giving him a reason to be there. I'm very excited. :)

I also really enjoy that he's a somewhat reluctant hero/sort of just has this hoisted on him. It's a lot to grapple with.
If you have any time at all, and want to bum around the Discord, feel free! I can PM you the link if you want.
Thank you! I'll go into more depth when possible. A link to the Discord would be appreciated!

Definitely interested
Hello again my canadian friend! If you wanna join the discord I shot you a friend request over and I can give you the link there
I thought, ya know the last time I saw a Gunrunner was in Malediction. And indeed it was you. LOL!

Hello again my canadian friend! If you wanna join the discord I shot you a friend request over and I can give you the link there
I thought, ya know the last time I saw a Gunrunner was in Malediction. And indeed it was you. LOL!
Oh, hah, yeah that's me. Accepted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back