• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

O Brave New World - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Atusa grit her teeth and cursed as she saw her personal guard decimated. Then she heard Acekara speak to her, and looked up at the Raksha. Try as she might, the Zenith couldn't help but let her mind be led astray by the thought of kissing Acekara, and perhaps doing more after the business with the Poison Fangs and Bintanath was resolved.

The Solar gave a shake of her head, as if she'd just swallowed something sickening. She remembered her contempt for the Fair Folk, the warnings she'd been given about how Raksha could ensorcel others with but a kiss, and how Acekara and her ilk had warred with the Faqari here, and on countless occasions in the past. No way was she going to let herself be seduced by this monster.

[Not gonna use the Red Rule here. Atusa's Base Resolve is at 3. Her Major Tie of Disdain for Fair Folk boosts it to 6 against Acekara's attempt at seduction, and I'm gonna spend 4m of Peripheral Essence to boost it further to 8. Claiming one-point stunt to boost to 9.]
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1,-1,-1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Initiative: 6

Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 11/33
Committed Essence: 12
Willpower: 3/5
Offhand Charge: 2/7

Hazel's Reading of the Scroll Cap
Hazel:

The drawing is an impressively detailed depiction of a beautifully embossed scroll cap depicting a twelve armed goddess pouring water from an ewer in each hand. The waters form a script in Old Realm that you can read easily enough. It appears to be the motto of an organization devoted to building or creating something: "We [create/make/build] [life/dreams/light] so [all/together we/our people] might [flourish/stand against darkness/defy chaos]."

There is, however, another cleverly hidden reading in the mirrored script, obvious to you where most would miss it for its popularity in Raksi's Shogunate era iconography. The titles of many of the older scrolls in her library make no sense unless read this way. Presumably it was popular with other members of the Silver Pact aligned with her, though you haven't often run across it:

"By the reflected light [A euphemism for the wisdom of a luminary] of <uncertain>[This pair of characters is ambiguous. It refers to something strongly aspected of the moon, and if it were contemporary you would say it was certainly referring to Luna, but in the First Age it was often used to refer to powerful and well respected Lunars. After the Usurpation this usage began to fall out of favour, seen as hubris, but its usage had not stopped completely during the Shogunate. Raksi, for instance, sometimes used this character pair to refer to herself in formal writing up until perhaps a thousand years ago. It could also refer to a powerful moon spirit other than Luna, but this usage is rare.] and the gloaming light of the Child of Satesh [Now here's a character pair you don't see every day. Satesh is the sun of the Underworld, part of the titular Calendar that creates time in that land of otherwise perfect stillness. This character pair was sometimes used to euphemistically refer to dead Solars who did not immediately enter Lethe, for their role in bringing light to that dark realm.] we shatter the chains of the Principle of Hierarchy [You've seen this character before in First Age texts on Demonology in Raksi's library. It seems to be a demon even more powerful than Erembour, focused on authority, rigid codes of laws, and knowing one's rightful place. It's not immediately clear what this section of text is referring to, but it's some kind of euphemism for defiance of something constraining.] and draw forth the spire of dreams. [This doesn't translate well to Flametongue, but in the original Old Realm it's quite a lovely metaphor, playing on both the reflected and unreflected characters comprising it to evoke drawing forth and reifying a beautiful idea from a pool of celestial wisdom.]"

All of this would mean little to you, had you not already seen this scroll cap scant hours ago in Zahur's bag. This was not the cap of the wondrous scroll of cloth-of-moonsilver, instead appearing to be made of ordinary papyrus, but it was amongst her possessions.

Last edited:
Knowing that she cannot allow herself to fall from the saddle, Renna shakes her head to clear the sudden flash of pain as she is stabbed. With a flash of orichalcum, Renna lashes out at the Din trying to harry her troops, trying to cut them down before they get overrun by the reinforcements being pulled off of the attack against the walls.
Withering Attack against the Din - 9 successes to hit

Increasing Strength Exercise Active
Form Charm Active
Liquid Steel Flow Active

Health Levels
-0 [X]
-1 [X][X][X]
-2 [X][X][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Essence: 1
Personal: 13 / 13
Peripheral: 33 / 0
Committed: 10
Willpower: 5

Parry DV: 6 +1 from Adorei
Dodge DV: 4
Resolve: 2
Guile: 2

Join Battle: 7 +3i

Soak: 2
Armor: 8
Total: 10
Hardness: 7

Weapons
Beloved Adorei
Type: Medium (+4 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Adorei grants one automatic success to all withering damage rolls.

Last edited:
Your reply to the insult that spilled your blood is swift and decisive when you bisect both of the Din who managed to wound you with two clean strikes that move faster than the eye can follow, pieces of their stony bodies slumping to the churning earth. The rest fall back out of reach, their gemstone eyes glittering in the brilliant light of your anima, a beacon of gold and silver visible for miles around.

The Ruby Bey rides its wave of earth counterclockwise around the edge of the battlefield in an effort to keep a wary distance from the indomitable force of nature that is Morrolan, but he merely smashes though all the obstacles placed before him in his implacable pursuit and closes the distance regardless. The Ruby Bey redoubles its efforts to keep distance, dodging strikes from Morrolan's lance and summoning a great sinkhole in the earth to slow him down. No longer having any illusions about what it's fighting, and recognizing it has almost no hope of wounding Morrolan, it pulls another large hunk of stone from the earth and hurls it at Renna, trying to take advantage of her distraction and wounds to take her out of the fight.

Correct me if one of you isn't actually at Iconic Anima.

Adorei gains 1i for a successful attack, going up to 7i. The Din suffer 2 points of Magnitude damage, knocking them down to Size 2 6/12 magnitude.

I'm going to treat Morrolan's roll for the move action over difficult terrain as a Rush action, though technically you need a Strength Charm to roll Rushes with Str + Ath instead of Dex + Ath. The Ruby Bey is rolling 10 dice for combat movement due to a +4 mobility from its earthy mount. Only 1 hit, almost a botch. Fails to contest Morrolan's Rush, so Morrolan closes to Close Range.

Ruby Bey will spend 2i to try to disengage. Pool is still 10, Morrolan is at -3 on his Dex + Athletics to oppose due to difficult terrain. (Renna can help here, as if anyone beats a disengage roll the disengage fails. She can pin him in place for Morrolan with her excellent combat movement [Dex + Ride + Mobility Bonus] pool. The Red Arms can also do the same. Cavalry are good at pinning fleeing targets.)

Ruby Bey scores 3 hits to disengage.

The Ruby Bey is making a Thrown attack at Medium Range against Renna with 14 dice and 16 damage.

Morrolan, the Din, and the Red Arms at 9i
Adorei at 7i
the Ruby Bey at 1i
Finally Renna at 0i

Last edited:
Renna was hurt, but could not let this fact show to the Red Arms. She raises up her blade and spurs Asha forward, her anima blazing in the night. With a powerful swing of Adorei, she chops at the boulder, seeking both to knock it out of the sky before it could hit her and to prevent Ruby Bey from being able to escape.
I will spend 10 m on my Martial Art Excellency to raise my Parry DV, and a point of Willpower to add a auto sux. Base Parry DV is 7, minus the penalties drops it to 4. Do the motes spent give me a +1 DV for every two points? If so, I now have a total of 10.

Rolling to prevent the Disengage effort.
7 successes

Form Charm Active
Liquid Steel Flow Active

Health Levels
-0 [X]
-1 [X][X][X]
-2 [X][X][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 13 / 3
Willpower: 5 / 3

Weapons
Beloved Adorei

[Rolling 14 dice for attack; 5 hits. Renna deflects the attack easily. Renna's up next at 0i. Morrolan can still contest the disengage, as that doesn't affect Renna's turn.]

Feeling a bit of relief with having deflected the boulder, Renna calls out, "Morrolan! Deal with that thing! I have my hands full with these Din!" She swings her sword around her as Asha dances nimbly about, trying to do as much damage to the Din's line as possible.

Withering Attack - 6 successes

That gives me 3 dice and 1 success from Adorei.

3 total successes

You charge to pursue your retreating assailants and cleave two more in half with a single swing before the rest scatter out of your way, their cries of fear and rage like the grinding of stone on stone in a mill.

[The Din fall to 4/12 Magnitude, Size 2. Morolan is up next at 9i]

Laying about himself with his spear, Morrolan laughs as his mystic weapon bites deep into the Din foolish enough to stand before him. He hears Renna's order shouted over the noise of the battlefield, and with a nod continues to push his way through the rough ground towards the Ruby Bey.
Performing a Withering Attack as I push forward: 6 successes

DBT Active
Ardent Handshake Mein Active to up my Soak to 28.
Halting the Scarlet Flow Active for 5 / 3 Turns

Health Levels
-0 [X] (+[X] Only in DBT Form)
-1 [X][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
-4 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16 / 16
Peripheral: 38 / 23
Willpower: 7 / 5

Parry DV: 6
Dodge DV: 2
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Join Battle: 8 + 3i - +5i from Sinuous Striking Grace (3m)

Soak: 5
Armor: +8, +2 from Argent Handshake Mien
Shapeshifted: +8 from Unusual Skin, +5 from DBT
Total Soak: 13 human / 26 DBT, +2 from Ardent Handshake Mein
Natural Hardness: 4
Armor Hardness: 7, +1 from Argent Handshake Mien

Weapons
Zelator
Type: Heavy (+1 ACC, +14 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 5)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Piercing, Reaching;
Two-Handed when on foot
The spear makes baneful attacks against sorcerers, sorcerous constructs, sorcerously transformed opponents, and summoned spirits. Its decisive attacks against such foes add one bonus die to the damage roll and deal aggravated damage. If the target is a sorcerer who has gathered sorcerous motes, three of the gathered motes are dispersed and lost.

[That drops the Din to 10/11 Magnitude Size 1, rolling 5 dice to check for rout: Failure! The Din break and run.]

As Morrolan smashes through yet another hastily erected defensive line without taking so much as a scratch, this is more than even battle hardened elementals can take. It begins with only a few, but soon all of them are withdrawing beneath the earth for safety from this unceasing onslaught and the slaughter of their brethren. The Ruby Bey soon stands alone, intent only on harrying and delaying you while the rest of its forces disengage from the city and begin an orderly - possibly fighting - retreat. The great lizards harnessed to the pyramid begin to turn it around in preparation for withdrawing.

The Red Arms take up a great cheer, echoed on the walls of the beleaguered city. The bulk of the cavalry form up around Renna while others take care of the many wounded. The infantry have almost caught up with the formation. Wisdom's Star comes up beside you, lightly wounded but otherwise fit for battle. "You're a terror, Captain, but we should have someone bind that," she gestures towards the wound in your side. "Shall we pursue the enemy commander? I admit I'm not excited about the idea of picking a fight with those great lizards."

[At this point we can exit combat time and initiative tracking. The Ruby Bey is only going to try to slow you down until you force it to retreat underground.]

Last edited:
Atusa gave Acekara a grin, having successfully resisted any appropriate thoughts she might have had about the Raksha, at least for the time being.

"A tempting offer, I will admit. But I am not one to submit without resistance." she called out in Old Realm, making her voice clear over any fighting that might still be going on. "What do you say we decide the matter with a duel between the two of us? Leave our respective forces out of it. If I make you yield, you will take your forces and depart this area with them. If you make me yield, I will kiss you, but you and your forces will stop this attack and leave peacefully, as you swore you would. Are those terms agreeable to you?"

Atusa might have spontaneously joined in this conflict, but she and her people hadn't come here on a matter of war. Right now, her goal was to extract herself, the Hematti and the Bintanath from this situation they'd all found themselves in, with as many survivors as possible.

[Rolling Charisma + Presence, claiming one point stunt for two extra dice, and spending 2m Personal Essence on Presence Excellency, giving me 13 dice.

Forgot to use any of my other Presence Charms, but I still get six successes, beating out Acekara's Resolve of 4.]

Anima: Glowing

Personal Essence: 11/13

Atusa Duels Acekara
Atusa:

Acekara blushes, the emerald scales on her cheeks shifting to ruby, and fans herself with her free hand, "Ssso intimate."

All pretense at embarrassment fades in an instant. "Halt!" she commands with a voice like the crack of a whip. Immediately Nethesua and the naga abort their charge, close enough to smell their foetid breath, hot against your cheek, over the scent of blood and death.

This only makes it easier for Sirocco to kill them as they flee the inferno she's created. It takes her a moment to step outside her fury induced focus and recognize what you've said, but once she does her head whips around, "Atusa, no! You know these monsters do not know the meaning of fighting fair." The crew are clearly nonplussed by the sudden retreat of the enemy, but despite the look of deep uncertainty and concern Captain Jabari gives you, they hold their discipline and at her order do not pursue.

Acekara ignores Sirocco's outburst, "You are alwaysss ssso ssstubborn when you are new. I accccept your termsss, little bird." She sheathes her knife, plants her hands on the stone beneath her, lifts herself up to curl her feet in under her to rise, and walks out over the bridge to the centrepoint beneath your vessel and her own. The sand races passed beneath her and the fierce wind whips her hair out to the side. She spins on her heel to face you and grins widely, fangs bared, "We will dance here, between our ssshipsss."

The Red Arms take up a great cheer, echoed on the walls of the beleaguered city. The bulk of the cavalry form up around Renna while others take care of the many wounded. The infantry have almost caught up with the formation. Wisdom's Star comes up beside you, lightly wounded but otherwise fit for battle. "You're a terror, Captain, but we should have someone bind that," she gestures towards the wound in your side. "Shall we pursue the enemy commander? I admit I'm not excited about the idea of picking a fight with those great lizards."
Renna takes a few deep breaths before answering Wisdom's Star. "The men are the priority. Take care of them, first." It is clear that she is upset, and it was not for the wounds she's taken. "I should have seen that ambush long before we tripped it. Damn, I'm getting sloppy, and because of that, we've suffered for it. Shit!" Renna slams a mailed fist down onto her leg in frustration. "The next time we run into earth elementals, remind me that they can manipulate the fucking ground around us to break up our charge!"

She was only halfway joking about that.

Looking at the ruined wall of the city, the Solar says, "We need to send a runner to the city's leaders under a flag of truce and let them know we are not here to ransack them, and we are under contract to protect the place by Magistrate Prissy-Britches." Looking around at the chaos of the battlefield, Renna then looks for Morrolan. She wasn't worried that he would be badly hurt; his beastman form is far too tough to take much in the way of serious injury.
Form Charm Active
Liquid Steel Flow Active

Health Levels
-0 [X]
-1 [X][X][X]
-2 [X][X][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 13 / 3
Willpower: 5 / 3

Weapons
Beloved Adorei

Atusa just gave Sirocco a shrug of her shoulders. "Since when does anyone fight fairly in a battle?" she asked in reply, before turning to look at Acekara. "See to our wounded. Right now, this fight is between me and her."

With that, she moved to some nearby rigging and climbed up it, keeping her daiklaves in her hands and her gaze fixed upon the Raksha. Once she judged herself to be high enough, Atusa jumped from the rigging towards the head of the stone serpent, somersaulting through the air to land in a crouch and then quickly raising both her daiklaves in anticipation of an oncoming attack. No such thing came, and, still keeping her blades up and her eyes on Acekara, Atusa stood to her full height and began slowly walking towards her.

As she advanced, her headscarf, already loosened from all the action she had taken part in so far, was blown off by a sudden gust of wind, allowing Atusa's wavy brown hair to flow freely in the breeze. The Zenith barely noticed this, aside from thinking that it might give Acekara something to be distracted by, instead continuing to slowly approach the Raksha.

Then all of a sudden, like a lioness leaping from a rock, or a coiled cobra lunging at an unlucky mouse, she shot forward, slashing and striking at Acekara's torso with both blades in a pair of swift attacks.

[Took a move action to get within close range of Acekara. Withering attack, still in Steel Devil Form, and using Double Attack Technique for 2m Personal Essence. Claiming one point stunt. Only 5 successes, meaning Acekara can evade.]

Personal Essence: 9/13

Last edited:
Morrolan is still in his beastman form, his breath heaving as he watches the Din slip back into the earth. His eyes turn to the strange pyramid, wondering again what it is supposed to be. If it is still nearby, he will move towards it to investigate. If not, he'll turn back towards the rest of the Red Arms to check on the status of the men, especially Renna, since he can recall seeing her take several nasty hits.
DBT Active
Ardent Handshake Mein Active to up my Soak to 28.
Halting the Scarlet Flow Active for 5 / 2 Turns

Health Levels
-0 [X] (+[X] Only in DBT Form)
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
-4 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16 / 16
Peripheral: 38 / 23
Willpower: 7 / 5

Parry DV: 6
Dodge DV: 2
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Join Battle: 8 + 3i - +5i from Sinuous Striking Grace (3m)

Soak: 5
Armor: +8, +2 from Argent Handshake Mien
Shapeshifted: +8 from Unusual Skin, +5 from DBT
Total Soak: 13 human / 26 DBT, +2 from Ardent Handshake Mein
Natural Hardness: 4
Armor Hardness: 7, +1 from Argent Handshake Mien

Weapons
Zelator
Type: Heavy (+1 ACC, +14 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 5)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Piercing, Reaching;
Two-Handed when on foot
The spear makes baneful attacks against sorcerers, sorcerous constructs, sorcerously transformed opponents, and summoned spirits. Its decisive attacks against such foes add one bonus die to the damage roll and deal aggravated damage. If the target is a sorcerer who has gathered sorcerous motes, three of the gathered motes are dispersed and lost.

Atusa:

Join Battle 8; Essence 2; Willpower 7; Personal 14/20
Movement 8
Health Levels: -0/-1x2/-2x2/-4/Incap
Soak 10/H0, Parry 3, Evasion 6
Command Battlegroup 8; Senses 11; Disguise: 12 dice; Inspire: 14 dice; Instill or Persuade: 13 dice; Read Intentions: 12 dice; Seduction: 16 dice; Senses: 12 dice; Resist Poison/Illness: 12 dice; Stealth: 11 dice; Craft (Gossamer) 8 dice
Appearance 7, Resolve 4, Guile 6

Glittering Knives - 14 dice, 13/2 damage

After Atusa's attack the round ends, everyone gains 5m

Acekara is in at 13i
Atusa is in at 7i

Acekara is no mouse, and has the fangs to prove it. As you lunge forward the ground shifts alarmingly beneath you, all three stone serpents unhooking from the Mandjet to rise as one. Acekara front flips over your lunge, laughing as she runs upside down along the left stone serpent as it rises to arc overhead, blades flashing in a rapid series of spinning slashes directed at your head and neck. As she reaches the end of the left serpent she leaps to the rising right serpent, throwing one of her knives before flipping to land in a crouch. She extends her now free hand and flicks her fingers towards herself, summoning a blade she left hanging suspended in the air, concealed by sleight of hand and the body of the left serpent, to strike you from the opposite side as it returns to her.

To model Acekara's control of the terrain here she'll count as 'Mounted'. She gains +1 DV and +1 dice on attacks against 'unmounted' enemies. The 'unhorse' gambit will represent denying her the ability to move freely between serpents, or take advantage of the mobility they confer.

Atusa would have to roll Dex + Ath to keep her footing, but she has Graceful Crane Stance, so if she activates that she can ignore the hostile ground. As it stands, she takes a -2 penalty to physical actions.

Acekara is making a Decisive Attack against Atusa with 15 dice. Declare defenses.

Last edited:
A look of alarm crossed Atusa's face when she felt the serpent shift beneath her. Instantly she realized her mistake, taking the battle into her enemy's territory. She focused her essence upon the parts of her that were responsible for maintaining her body's balance, and instantly, the shifting serpent became no different to her than the deck of the Mandjet. After that, she was forced to contend with the swarm of attacks being sent her way, channeling yet more essence as she parried the flying knives as best as she could.

[Atusa activates Graceful Crane Stance for 3m Peripheral Essence. She then spends 8m Personal Essence to raise her Parry up to 9. Claiming one point stunt to raise it further, to 10.]

Personal Essence: 1/13
Peripheral Essence: 13/33

Evasion 4, Parry 5
Armor: Buff Jacket (Soak 3, Mobility Penalty 0)
Natural Soak: 2
Armored Soak: 3
Hardness: 0

After deflecting the Raksha's attacks, Atusa found herself settling down into the rhythm typical of combat. Keeping her attention focused on Acekara as she jumped around, depriving her of the chance to access any of the Zenith's blindspots, Atusa waited patiently for her opponent to slip up.

Her chance came when she saw that Acekara's next leap would take her to within a few meters of the Zenith. Before her feet could touch the ground, Atusa moved forward and slashed at her with both blades in a single motion, hoping to tag her while she was deprived of the opportunity to jump away again.

[Withering attack. Assuming that, in terms of mechanics, both fighters are still within Close Range of each other. Not going to spend any essence this time, but will claim a one point stunt for two extra dice. Will roll once you declare Acekara's defense.]

Personal Essence: 1/13
Peripheral Essence: 13/33

Evasion 4, Parry 5
Armor: Buff Jacket (Soak 3, Mobility Penalty 0)
Natural Soak: 2
Armored Soak: 3
Hardness: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back