• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

O Brave New World - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Renna:

Saiqa nods, "Kabir is a meeting point for several Hisari tribes - hill people, mostly miners and herders. A market where ores are refined, bought, and sold to be shipped down to the sands where the Faqari deliver them to us. The Yafeu Clan holds the monopoly on the Kabir route last I checked, but they're always fighting and the routes change hands faster than we can keep up sometimes. I want those mines operational and the tin flowing, and I grant you the authority to do whatever you deem necessary to make that happen. Give the Hisari whatever assistance they need to resume work. If Dev are sacking Kabir and the surrounding mining settlements, obviously no one will be shipping us anything."

[What would constitute better treatment for her soldiers to Renna? You can make Bargain rolls or arguments in favour of alterations to the contract. Right now the terms are very favourable to Saiqa in that she pays you relatively little up front, and only pays you based on how successful you are at getting tin delivered to the Principate. This means if you all die she hasn't lost too much money, but it also means that if you save the town of Kabir but can't break out to secure the mines you won't be paid very much.

Saiqa is currently less willing to make concessions or lend aid because she doesn't believe this will be a successful long term working relationship given the strong distrust of sorcerers amongst your officers, so if you all get yourselves killed it's unfortunate but not a huge loss.]

Atusa:
Gahiji looks unamused as he enters the meeting room where you sit with light refreshments. "Dakarai is a raging sandstorm. She could not be trusted to behave herself at court, and refused to wait, so we restrained her. We will bring her to account for herself at your leisure."

Atusa sighed and shook her head in mild exasperation. Dakarai being emotional was understandable given the circumstances, but her being irrational was not. Hopefully some time spent dangling in a gibbet on the edge of the palace would help her to calm down, and any subsequent embarrassment would encourage her to act with a more level head in the future.

Ambassador Sebua is ushered into the room by your personal guard shortly thereafter, and prostrates himself until you instruct him to rise. "Your Radiance, thank you for granting my humble request. I bring tidings from Nomarch Khaemwaset Bintanath. Blessed are the winds, for they carry change this season. These winds of change carried us when we found something amongst the shifting sands that is precious beyond measure. Jealous hands will undoubtedly grasp for it, and we will need the strength to demonstrate their place is not so high above us as it once was. The gods smile upon us in this, for we did not find one such treasure, but two. We are daring, and brave, but not so foolhardy as to think we can do this alone. We are generous to our allies, and would be honoured to count the Hematti amongst them. Nomarch Khaemwaset recognizes there is blood between our people, but he believes this was at the behest of hands on high, and that in clashing we have established a level of mutual respect that may become the foundation for a strong future in a world where the only hands who guide us are our own."

"My lord understands this is not a decision to be made lightly. He asks only that you consider it, and offers a standing invitation to meet to discuss terms."

[The implication is clear: The Bintanath have found something they believe is so powerful their lords the Yafeu would seize it immediately, and thus they are presented with three choices: Hide it and thus gain little, surrender it meekly, or fight for it. This find will make them significantly more powerful, but not powerful enough to rebel against the Yafeu and risk a war against the Hematti and Fayum. The ambassador implies an alliance of the Hematti and Bintanath, coupled with whatever this is, might be enough to defy both the Yafeu and Fayum, winning independence and becoming a new major power.]

Before Sebua could begin speaking, Atusa gestured at a chair on the opposite end of the table to her, indicating that he could sit down. As he spoke, she considered carefully the implications of what was being said. If Sebua spoke the truth about this treasure, the Hematti and Bintanath clans could stand to profit greatly, but this risked bringing the attention of their respective lieges. And If Atusa had subordinate clans, she'd want to be mindful of how much power they were allowed to obtain, as well as the ambitions of their leaders.

As much as Atusa believed in honor and loyalty - at the very least, it played a part in how others treated you, and treated with you - she was always looking for ways to improve her clan's lot in life. The way she saw it, every Faqari clan leader sought to do the same, and many of them were willing to do so through unscrupulous means. She might as well do the same.

She gave Sebua a little smile. "You have my thanks for bringing this matter to our attention, and I will most certainly consider the offer made by your lord. You may let him know that I am amicable to further discussion regarding it." she said. "As for these two treasures you speak of, the ones you say are precious beyond measure, is there anything you can share on them? I cannot help but be curious."

[Pass. Was thinking of doing a Read Intentions action to try and figure how truthful Sebua's being here, but Atusa can't get a dice pool larger than the man's guile.]

"I shall convey your words to Nomarch Khaemwaset most gladly, Radiance. I admit I am no savant, and am not privy to the details, but," he pauses dramatically before leaning forward, continuing in a conspiratorial whisper, "I have been told the Bintanath and our allies shall never fear the Raksha again." He places a small beaded necklace with a jackal's head pendant on the table, "Present this token to any of our ships and you will be guided to Nomarch Khaemwaset to discuss terms, or simply deliver a message to any of our traders. I look forward to having the honour of speaking with you again soon, Radiance Atusa." He rises from his chair, bows, and once you dismiss him, departs.

[Pass. You can now call for a scene where you discuss terms with Khaemwaset at a mutually agreeable location at any time. Did you want Dakarai to be hauled in now? I presume you didn't actually have her executed, as hanging from a gibbet might imply. She is, sadly, not immortal. If you want her to chill in a cage hanging off the edge of the ship for a while to cool off before she shows up, we can skip to then, or we can jump to any scene you'd like to have next. Once I have some idea which way Atusa's going to go here, and thus what her Goal is, we can sort out the Obstacles and jump to overcoming them.]

Renna:

Saiqa nods, "Kabir is a meeting point for several Hisari tribes - hill people, mostly miners and herders. A market where ores are refined, bought, and sold to be shipped down to the sands where the Faqari deliver them to us. The Yafeu Clan holds the monopoly on the Kabir route last I checked, but they're always fighting and the routes change hands faster than we can keep up sometimes. I want those mines operational and the tin flowing, and I grant you the authority to do whatever you deem necessary to make that happen. Give the Hisari whatever assistance they need to resume work. If Dev are sacking Kabir and the surrounding mining settlements, obviously no one will be shipping us anything."

[What would constitute better treatment for her soldiers to Renna? You can make Bargain rolls or arguments in favour of alterations to the contract. Right now the terms are very favourable to Saiqa in that she pays you relatively little up front, and only pays you based on how successful you are at getting tin delivered to the Principate. This means if you all die she hasn't lost too much money, but it also means that if you save the town of Kabir but can't break out to secure the mines you won't be paid very much.

Saiqa is currently less willing to make concessions or lend aid because she doesn't believe this will be a successful long term working relationship given the strong distrust of sorcerers amongst your officers, so if you all get yourselves killed it's unfortunate but not a huge loss.]
Renna will try and bargain for better pay for her men up front, and more bonuses for doing a good job in saving the town of Kabir. What do I need to roll, if anything?

"I shall convey your words to Nomarch Khaemwaset most gladly, Radiance. I admit I am no savant, and am not privy to the details, but," he pauses dramatically before leaning forward, continuing in a conspiratorial whisper, "I have been told the Bintanath and our allies shall never fear the Raksha again." He places a small beaded necklace with a jackal's head pendant on the table, "Present this token to any of our ships and you will be guided to Nomarch Khaemwaset to discuss terms, or simply deliver a message to any of our traders. I look forward to having the honour of speaking with you again soon, Radiance Atusa." He rises from his chair, bows, and once you dismiss him, departs.

[Pass. You can now call for a scene where you discuss terms with Khaemwaset at a mutually agreeable location at any time. Did you want Dakarai to be hauled in now? I presume you didn't actually have her executed, as hanging from a gibbet might imply. She is, sadly, not immortal. If you want her to chill in a cage hanging off the edge of the ship for a while to cool off before she shows up, we can skip to then, or we can jump to any scene you'd like to have next. Once I have some idea which way Atusa's going to go here, and thus what her Goal is, we can sort out the Obstacles and jump to overcoming them.]

[Had something else in mind.]

A few minutes later, Atusa walked over to where Dakarai was currently dangling, and looked up with her with fond exasperation, as though she was a child who'd been caught stealing from the cookie jar.

"I don't take any pleasure in this, and I don't blame you for acting the way you did earlier. But at the same time, I had hoped that you could go about things with more dignity." she called up to her with folded arms, before giving an order for the gibbet to be lowered. Not opened; she wasn't going to do that until she was certain that Dakarai had calmed down.

"You have my word that I will do what I can to see your betrothed returned. And if that fails, I will see to it that you and your family are adequately compensated." she said, before narrowing her eyes and addressing her in a voice that reverberated with her presence and authority. "In return, I ask only that you avoid trying to make a scene like that in my throne room again, or doing anything else that might be considered rash. Do you understand?"

[Hold. I want to make sure that Dakarai won't do anything stupid before I let her go.]

Dakarai 1
Atusa:
Essence 1; Willpower 6; Join Battle: 7 dice
Personal: 10
Health Levels: −0x2/−1x3/−2x3/−4x2/Incap.
Actions: Sail: 7 dice; Command: 7 dice; Repairing Faqari Vessels: 5 dice; Read Intentions: 6 dice; Intimidate 9 dice;

Appearance 3
Resolve 3
Guile 1

Combat
Attack (Paired Scimitars): 11 dice (Damage 12, minimum 2)
Attack (Unarmed): 9 dice (Damage 9, minimum 1)
Combat Movement: 6 dice
Evasion 3, Parry 5/(Unarmed: 4)
Soak/Hardness: 8/0 (Heirloom bronze breastplate)

Intimacies:
The Gods Favour Us, and the Desert Rightfully Belongs to Our Clan [Defining]

The Hematti (Loyalty) [Major]
Her Crew (Pride) [Major]
Her Own Martial Prowess (Pride) [Major]
"Atusa's blessing is a gift from the Gods, and they demand we use it." [Major]

Aejej (Hatred) [Minor]
Nomarch Khaemwaset (Hatred) [Minor]
The Bintanath (Hatred) [Minor]
Atusa (Loyalty) [Minor]
Atusa (Friendship) [Minor]
Atusa (Awe) [Minor]
Atusa (Jealousy) [Minor]
Hasani Fayum (Love) [Minor]
The Principate (Resentment) [Minor]

Merits:
Djinn-Blooded: Grants two Spirit Charms and a small essence pool.
Born of Flame: Dakari's blood reduces the raw damage from any environmental hazard based on fire damage or heat by 3, and grants +5 soak against any withering attack made with firewands, sorcerously-conjured fire, or similar. Decisive attacks from such sources can only ever deal bashing damage to them and can never fill their Incapacitated health level.

Offensive Charms:
Immolating Pyre (10m, 3wp; Simple; Instant; Essence 1): Dakarai may call upon her elemental blood to release an eruption of flame, forcing all enemies within medium range to roll against a hazard with the traits of a bonfire (p. 230). Allies are unburnt, the flames washing over them harmlessly. Once per fight.

Defensive Charms:
Fiery Terror Aura (10m, 3wp; Reflexive; One scene; Essence 1): Dakarai may emanate a terrifying aura, subtracting one success from all attack rolls made against her. Characters may resist this aura for one scene by paying two Willpower. Characters with an Intimacy representing valor, courage, or a reason to fight fearlessly need pay only one Willpower.

Aspects:
Fire in the Veins
Born to Conquer
Gloryhound
Dakarai looks incomplete somehow without her ever present flame pieces and swords. She only takes them off to sleep, and even then they hang from her hammock. Your father gifted her those swords when he inducted her into the third coil of Steel Devil Style and she's scarcely let them out of her sight since. Over the many years you trained together under your father's stern but effective tutelage you were well matched, but unable to defeat her when she drew upon her power. Today, though, both of you are well aware that you have far surpassed her, and you can see a flicker of badly concealed jealousy in her eyes when she notices your approach.

Her short intensely yellow-orange hair ends in flickering wisps of flame dancing in the desert wind whipping through the cage as she sits leaning against one side. You can see part of her polished bronze breastplate shining under her outfit of white cotton wrap and pants tied with a belt and sash of command both of crimson silk. Her lip is split and bleeding, already swelling slightly, but her perennially self-satisfied expression always seems to say, you should see the other guy. Her scars are subtle, her blood always ensuring she healed well, and serve only to make her handsome to the right kind of admirer.

"No pleasure in this? Are you sure? Not even a little bit?" she asks with a grin. At a look from Gahiji she adds, "Radiance. You always were better at the whole 'dignity' part," she says as she looks out over the desert to avoid your reproachful gaze.

You know her too well. Before she turns back to you, eyes flashing with fiery intensity, and opens her mouth you already know what she's going to say. "I don't need you to get my betrothed back, Atusa, or pay my blood price. I need you to grant me vendetta so I can take him back myself, and present you Khaemwaset's head on platter along with the choicest of his treasures from amongst everything my ship can carry," she says savagely, the flames at the tips of her hair intensifying, "Those Raksha-loving cowards badly overstep themselves, I need only your permission to prove it and bring glory to your name."

Last edited:
The interior of Barker's Alley was moderately spacious for a diner. Booths and tables lined the borders of a U-shaped walkway surrounding an open kitchen flanked on all sides by bar tables. A host of playful aromas wafted across the building and even out into the street. The temptation of savory, spicy, and sweet dishes mingled into an inviting waltz of fragrance building anticipation for those waiting in line.

With John joining Kasra to get through the lunch rush, he hoped to keep much of the fluid traffic moving. Some cliques of regular patrons gathered about various corners of the room while others were merely passing through before returning to work. With lines like this, John was more than happy to expedite their passing. Dish after dish hustled its way across the wooden floors of the aging restaurant. Those sitting at the bar table began to see frequent glares from the staff washing dishes in the back, still the young owner of the establishment continued to build up his pace to churn through the line of hungry, waiting patrons.

Much of the diners at Barkers were of the merchant or peasant class. An occasional merchant prince might make an entry, tantalized by the dancing scents luring them in. Today, however, such esteemed clientele was notably, blessedly absent so far. Upon entering the humble historical eatery, a prospective customer would find a short entryway with a clear view of the bar and kitchen where John and Kasra were hard at work. The entry way itself had modest signage in both Flametongue and Riverspeak. 'Sit wherever you like, respect your fellows, and enjoy your meal!' Opposite to the sign was a single host often busying herself collecting checks as diners departed.

Having little bother waiting in line, Hazel pushed her way inside, enduring what curses came her way. She deigned not even give them the recognition they wanted. Though one insult calling her a filthy beast man did particularly sting. Not because she was filthy... because she was... but she was very quite mostly sure that at the very least she passed as a female. And still human...

Still. Inside and out of the sun. Hazel was, however, under no delusions that she could afford a meal here, but oh how those smells were so incredibly enticing to her. Maybe... maybe if this Golden Queen was not here, she could dine and dash. That way it wouldn't be a complete waste.

Finding a table, she sat down and made herself as comfortable as she could. Though rather than looking at any menus, she craned her neck to look amongst the patrons. Hoping to find any sign of royalty or glorious golden....

Oh wait! Her amulet! She held it up gently, why go through the trouble of looking when the thing would point her the way? Work smarter, not harder, as they always say. She waited to see the thin filament to her destination as she prided herself on being such a clever girl.

Atusa:
Gahiji looks unamused as he enters the meeting room where you sit with light refreshments. "Dakarai is a raging sandstorm. She could not be trusted to behave herself at court, and refused to wait, so we restrained her. We will bring her to account for herself at your leisure."

Ambassador Sebua is ushered into the room by your personal guard shortly thereafter, and prostrates himself until you instruct him to rise. "Your Radiance, thank you for granting my humble request. I bring tidings from Nomarch Khaemwaset Bintanath. Blessed are the winds, for they carry change this season. These winds of change carried us when we found something amongst the shifting sands that is precious beyond measure. Jealous hands will undoubtedly grasp for it, and we will need the strength to demonstrate their place is not so high above us as it once was. The gods smile upon us in this, for we did not find one such treasure, but two. We are daring, and brave, but not so foolhardy as to think we can do this alone. We are generous to our allies, and would be honoured to count the Hematti amongst them. Nomarch Khaemwaset recognizes there is blood between our people, but he believes this was at the behest of hands on high, and that in clashing we have established a level of mutual respect that may become the foundation for a strong future in a world where the only hands who guide us are our own."

"My lord understands this is not a decision to be made lightly. He asks only that you consider it, and offers a standing invitation to meet to discuss terms."

[The implication is clear: The Bintanath have found something they believe is so powerful their lords the Yafeu would seize it immediately, and thus they are presented with three choices: Hide it and thus gain little, surrender it meekly, or fight for it. This find will make them significantly more powerful, but not powerful enough to rebel against the Yafeu and risk a war against the Hematti and Fayum. The ambassador implies an alliance of the Hematti and Bintanath, coupled with whatever this is, might be enough to defy both the Yafeu and Fayum, winning independence and becoming a new major power.]

Hazel:
Zahur bundles you up in her arms and sits you on her lap before the table, the platter of fish beside you, and pets you happily as you purr. "Oh, you are so soft! And so pretty. I'm happy you're here. I'm going to call you Bes, because you bring joy. Hello, Bes. I'm Zahur." She shakes your paw and beams at you. "Everyone else is scared of me, but not you." She sighs and her mood shifts, suddenly despondent, "I didn't think this was going to be so... lonely." She continues quietly, "Can I tell you a secret, Bes? You can't tell anyone. I'm really not sure I can do this. A lot of people are going to starve if I don't. I promised I was up to it. Sekhi," she looks briefly mortified, "Don't tell her I called her that, okay? My enlightened ancestor is counting on me, but I've never been this far from home before, everyone here hates me, and this is the easy part."

She looks up at the falls with wonder and trepidation, "I know I can call on her for help, but she's so busy, and important, and wonderful -" her face lights up as she speaks, "Oh! Bes, look at this!" She lifts you up so your front paws are on the desk and you're right above the scroll she was working on. Up close and personal you can see the scroll isn't made of paper at all, but some kind of cloth-of-moonsilver weave with a lengthy embossed inscription in Old Realm around the borders. From only the fragments you can see you recognize an archaic prayer to Phyre, the Third Eye Pyramid, the aspect of Luna devoted to wisdom and guidance, shining light on dark and hidden roads. You can see a stylized variant of its symbol on the end caps of the umbilicus around which the scroll is wound. It's beautiful, and almost certainly priceless. Zahur grasps her quill, which has no ink on it, and continues her writing exercise as you watch, "Can you believe it? An enlightened ancestor is teaching me how to read and write," she says this with such awe that it's clear this carries some kind of deep cultural significance, "Like a real person." You have a sneaking suspicion this artifact was designed to do something more significant than teach children literacy, but it's doing an admirable job regardless, guiding with boundless patience and skillful instruction.

"Everyone in my family took the Gate during exam night. I always stubbornly sat staring at those letters in the hopes they'd make sense. Eventually I got so fed up I yelled at Hanama," she sounds incredulous at her own audacity, "to teach me how to read it, but she just stared at me with those cold eyes and said nothing. I hate her. Sekhi says I could have been a Sorcerer, can you believe it, Bes? That Hanama betrayed me, and failed in her duty. That once I learn to read, and a bunch of other things, she can teach me Necromancy. Then, some day, I'm going to sit the Assay again - I know we aren't supposed to any more, don't tell anyone - and I'm going to get all the questions right, and when Hanama invites me to Ain Soph Aur, I'm going to tell her to fuck off, because my mistress is better. She actually cares about me. I'm a real person to her," she declares this with such vehemence her quill snaps in her hand.

Erembour stirs fitfully from her slumber deep in the prison within your soul, muttering something in her sleep, "This one has a Mara-beloved darkness sleeping in her shadow, cursed of the silver sands. Beware its ire should it wake, kitten. The waif walks the path to my selfsame darkness, my little loving shadow, by the fond light of the moon."

"Oh, sands. Well, I have more of those, but I guess writing isn't very exciting to you, is it, Bes? Lamadu, please make a mouse to entertain Bes." The scroll obligingly creates a mouse from tiny chains of the Old Realm character for mouse and has it scamper across the page.

The instinct to bat it with your paw is strong. Do you resist it? If you touch the scroll it will greet you in Old Realm as Chosen. Zahur will not recognize the significance unless you show obvious intelligence by continuing to interact with the scroll, but if Zahur reports it when Sekhenun next checks in on her Vessel she will deduce the truth of your Exalted nature. If you maintain your cover as a cat, Zahur will let you come and go as you please while she returns to her studies. Possibly Compel-Worthy, but I don't see any Aspects or Intimacies that would fit, only really the instinct of the cat form.

[Pass - You've learned a lot about Zahur, and if you keep your cover nothing more exciting will happen. If you would like to accomplish something in the scene you can still act, otherwise you can just declare this scene complete.

A different angle for a compel aligned with your aspects might be to have to sun or the ship move such that the area where Zahur sits (under a canopy I forgot to mention) is suddenly in direct sunlight and your shadow reveals you as no ordinary cat.]

As the girl petted her, Hazel made sure to purr loudly in the girls arms. Lonely, Hazel figured as much. And even if it was small, she was glad she could give the girl at least some degree of comfort. As Hazel was well aware the path of sorcery was not an easy one. And that this girl was on such a path was impressive. And as a mortal too? I don't hate you. She thought. If anything, she felt a bit of kinship.

And while she could not say it, she was proud that Zahur had learned so much. And with such an scroll helping her. Such an oddity it was.

Sehki... Sehki. What's a Sekhi? A person? An enlightened ancestor... an exalted one perhaps? Or... something else perhaps. Never heard of an exalted being called an ancestor before. Zabur's plight was certainly very curious. Necromancy though... that definitely explained some of the oddities. Not that she was one to talk delving into demonology. Still, messing with the dead was dangerous business. Wait a minute. Wasn't there supposed to be a big honcho lady that ran a big necromancy outfit here? This was Neiths territory. She wonder if this was connected to her and her community.

She would have to think about that later as she was granted an even better look at the scroll. And what a wonder it was. Hazel would have loved to get ahold of such a thing, might have even schemed to steal it if she didn't feel the girl needed it more. Hazel could certainly relate to the struggle of learning to read and right in her late teens.

Then... Erembour spoke. And it did give Hazel a sense of worry for the girl. Was there really such darkness in the girl? Hazel could imagine so... putting herself in her shoes. The feeling of gaining power after everything in life was out to beat you down. Necromamcy did not make a good outlet for such emotions... and a vile one for revenge. Hazel could only hope this girl could persevere the shadow. What she wouldn't give to read the girl her fortune.

Hazel would do as cats do. Batting at the mouse. But as the words changed, addressing her as exalted. With the mouse having faded, Hazel masked her inspection of the words as looking for it. Only to do what cats do and lose interest. Hazel wanted to know more but couldn't risk it.

No. It was best to just stay in cover. So she would. Bes would curl back into Zahur's lap while she studied and vented. Occasionally needing her thigh like happy cats do. Maybe it wasn't much, but hopefully just the company of a pet could give her a small light in a dark world. Hazel remembered some of her hardest times. And how she wished she had something to hold just so it could feel like someone was there with her. So Hazel would spend the trip with Zahur. Amd the free food helped.

Though when it did come time to part ways, Hazel silently wished the girl her best. She probably wouldn't see her again. But the world worked in strange ways.

[Pass. Definitely looking forward to seeing more Zahur! ]

Hazel & John Meet
Hazel & John:

As you elbow your way passed the line to much consternation and indignation the matronly woman adjudicating seating attempts to accost you, reaching out to grab your arm. "No one gets to cut in li- Oh!" her hand freezes as she gets a good look at your face under your wide brimmed hat, just long enough for you to slip by. When her wits catch up with her she gestures angrily at one of the servers and turns her attention back to placating the now incensed line of hungry patrons.

As luck would have it you spot a table being vacated and sweep in to seize a seat before anyone can stop you. A passing serving girl carrying trays of hot food, catching the angry gesture from the maitre d', stops to gesture at you to shoo, "Ma'am, you can't take that seat. It's already assi- Boughs above!" As you ignore her and hold the amulet up to catch a beam of sunlight streaming in from the balcony, a bright golden needle shimmers into existence above it and points unerringly towards the kitchens, and one man in particular, cooking up an absolute storm in tandem with a woman who clearly has some fire in her blood.

The serving girl has clearly never seen magic like this before, and hasn't the faintest what to make of it, nor your face when you lift your head to follow the course of the needle. Seemingly deciding this is well above her pay grade she emits a strangled cry of, "John!" and takes several hurried steps backwards, only years of experience preventing her from tripping over packed seating or spilling the contents of her trays. John glances up from a bevy of orders ready to be dished out to see what commotion now threatens to distract him from his work.

You have eyes only for the chef, and John only for the strange customer, for the moment your eyes alight upon the other you each feel that telltale tug at your soul, that undeniable feeling of connection, a hole in your soul that went unnoticed since the moment you drew your second breath and now is filled, a piece of their soul secured once again in its rightful place in yours. You know this person in a way you've never known anyone before, and yet you know nothing about them.

For Hazel it could hardly be any more obvious that you've found your bondmate, and unless it's an incredible disguise they could hardly be further from a God-Queen of the Sands, and yet you find you couldn't care less. It hurts not at all that he's so delightfully easy on the eyes.

Last edited:
Rykon Rykon

I won't respond to what lead up to Hazel locking eyes John. It doesn't matter. Because as soon as that happened, the road that lead here blew away in the wind. And all her thoughts on what to do next completely disappeared. The present had never ever been more present.

She couldn't breath. She didn't want to breath. Every ounce of her body's focus was dedicated to this man. It was only as the pain of lacking oxygen occurred that she pulled her scarf down and had to force herself to take a breath. It only helped slightly, as her chest was so tight it felt like it had little room for air anyway. Her heart was in the process of exploding, and she wanted to both weep and laugh. Such a mixture of anxiety and relief that she couldn't bring herself to think up the word to describe it.

Outwardly, the apparent beast man, beast woman seemed in almost a trance. Having completely froze. A muzzled mouth hanging open to reveal sharp inhuman teeth. Her green slitted eyes as wide as dinner plates, with pupils that seemed to expand the longer he looked into them.

Finally she rose. Unceremoniously. Stepping forward, putting and hand on the server to gently move her out of her way. It was by force of will that kept her from leaping and running to him. All of her self discipline going into not making a scene. But she would push past whoever was in her way to get to him. Even as she got close. She did not slow.

Hazel walked into him, wrapping her arms around him as she did so and burying her face into his chest, causing her hat to fall off and drift to the ground.

"It's you..." she said. "You are here, you are here." He was here. What more could she say?

By the light of the moon, Hazel had a mate. And the realization suddenly brought Hazel back into this world. She had a bond mate! This man, he was one whom in a past age she had pledged to be alongside through every life thereafter. And that thought made her remember something... something that made her feel regretful and sad. Something that made her forget about how he might have viewed her horrid form...

"I'm sorry..." she said, sounding like she wanted to cry. "It has been so long, I am sorry." How many lives had his soul have lived without her? Hazel had been absent from creation since the first age, until this life. One of the few facts she knew about her past lives. How many times in how many ages did her bond mate go without meeting her? Did his soul know? How lonely could it have possibly been? She did not even want to think of it. It did not matter now. She was here. He was here. She had a great duty to Lunar in fulfilling the responsibilities that came with the bond... but as this hole she never knew she had was filled, she knew that it was more than just duty.

Erembour's perverted shadow! What was she doing! This solar probably had no idea what was going on! She barely knew and she was taught these things! Well. At least she could stop seeming like a baby here.

With a mental prybar, the lunar forced her arms to release the man. Taking a step back and looking up at him. He bore the face and body of a stranger, but behind those eyes was a soul she knew she could never mistake.

And, for the first time in years, she introduced herself without her usual flourishes or embellishments. "I am Witch Hazel, of Greyfalls. And I am a very old friend." She said, quite simply. And yes, that was her name, not a title. Named after a plant. It was only coincidence and the twisted humor of fate that she actually became a Witch and could pretend her stupid name was a title.

Atusa:
Essence 1; Willpower 6; Join Battle: 7 dice
Personal: 10
Health Levels: −0x2/−1x3/−2x3/−4x2/Incap.
Actions: Sail: 7 dice; Command: 7 dice; Repairing Faqari Vessels: 5 dice; Read Intentions: 6 dice; Intimidate 9 dice;

Appearance 3
Resolve 3
Guile 1

Combat
Attack (Paired Scimitars): 11 dice (Damage 12, minimum 2)
Attack (Unarmed): 9 dice (Damage 9, minimum 1)
Combat Movement: 6 dice
Evasion 3, Parry 5/(Unarmed: 4)
Soak/Hardness: 8/0 (Heirloom bronze breastplate)

Intimacies:
The Gods Favour Us, and the Desert Rightfully Belongs to Our Clan [Defining]

The Hematti (Loyalty) [Major]
Her Crew (Pride) [Major]
Her Own Martial Prowess (Pride) [Major]
"Atusa's blessing is a gift from the Gods, and they demand we use it." [Major]

Aejej (Hatred) [Minor]
Nomarch Khaemwaset (Hatred) [Minor]
The Bintanath (Hatred) [Minor]
Atusa (Loyalty) [Minor]
Atusa (Friendship) [Minor]
Atusa (Awe) [Minor]
Atusa (Jealousy) [Minor]
Hasani Fayum (Love) [Minor]
The Principate (Resentment) [Minor]

Merits:
Djinn-Blooded: Grants two Spirit Charms and a small essence pool.
Born of Flame: Dakari's blood reduces the raw damage from any environmental hazard based on fire damage or heat by 3, and grants +5 soak against any withering attack made with firewands, sorcerously-conjured fire, or similar. Decisive attacks from such sources can only ever deal bashing damage to them and can never fill their Incapacitated health level.

Offensive Charms:
Immolating Pyre (10m, 3wp; Simple; Instant; Essence 1): Dakarai may call upon her elemental blood to release an eruption of flame, forcing all enemies within medium range to roll against a hazard with the traits of a bonfire (p. 230). Allies are unburnt, the flames washing over them harmlessly. Once per fight.

Defensive Charms:
Fiery Terror Aura (10m, 3wp; Reflexive; One scene; Essence 1): Dakarai may emanate a terrifying aura, subtracting one success from all attack rolls made against her. Characters may resist this aura for one scene by paying two Willpower. Characters with an Intimacy representing valor, courage, or a reason to fight fearlessly need pay only one Willpower.

Aspects:
Fire in the Veins
Born to Conquer
Gloryhound
Dakarai looks incomplete somehow without her ever present flame pieces and swords. She only takes them off to sleep, and even then they hang from her hammock. Your father gifted her those swords when he inducted her into the third coil of Steel Devil Style and she's never let them out of her sight since. Over the many years you trained together under your father's stern but effective tutelage you were well matched, but unable to defeat her when she drew upon her power. Today, though, both of you are well aware that you have far surpassed her, and you can see a flicker of badly concealed jealousy in her eyes when she notices your approach.

Her short intensely yellow-orange hair ends in flickering wisps of flame dancing in the desert wind whipping through the cage as she sits leaning against one side. You can see part of her polished bronze breastplate shining under her outfit of white cotton wrap and pants tied with a belt and sash of command both of crimson silk. Her lip is split and bleeding, already swelling slightly, but her perennially self-satisfied expression always seems to say, you should see the other guy. Her scars are subtle, her blood always ensuring she healed well, and serve only to make her handsome to the right kind of admirer.

"No pleasure in this? Are you sure? Not even a little bit?" she asks with a grin. At a look from Gahiji she adds, "Radiance. You always were better at the whole 'dignity' part," she says as she looks out over the desert to avoid your reproachful gaze.

You know her too well. Before she turns back to you, eyes flashing with fiery intensity, and opens her mouth you already know what she's going to say. "I don't need you to get my betrothed back, Atusa, or pay my blood price. I need you to grant me vendetta so I can take him back myself, and present you Khaemwaset's head on platter along with the choicest of his treasures from amongst everything my ship can carry," she says savagely, the flames at the tips of her hair intensifying, "Those Raksha-loving cowards badly overstep themselves, I need only your permission to prove it and bring glory to your name."

"I'm glad that you're at least willing to wait for my permission here." Atusa replied dryly, giving Dakarai an unimpressed look. "It's a Bintanath Djinn who's preventing the return of your betrothed, not their Nomarch. As a matter of fact, the Bintanath sent an ambassador to us, offering the Hematti a reward in exchange for me persuading their Djinn to return your man."

Her tone then softened a little, even while at the same time she focused her Essence into her voice, making it clearer and more compelling to all who heard it. "Like I said, I can understand your intentions. But I believe that there is a way for our people to come out of this incident richer than we were before, without anyone having to die. If you have any loyalty to me and the Hematti, you will remain here whilst I seek to resolve the matter peacefully".

[Attempting to Persuade Dararai to stay put and behave herself, leveraging her Major Tie towards the Hematti. Spending 5m of personal essence, and one point of Willpower for an automatic success. 12 successes.]

Morrolan continues to monitor the soldiers as Renna does her part to get them a new employer. He occasionally fires off a glare in the direction of the fancy pavilion that was spelled up. Sorcerers. There are plenty of them out there, but why did we have to run into one here? Especially one that is so eager to show off her talents like this one? He gives the pavilion one more glare, then rolls up his metaphoric sleeves and gets to work taking care of the men.

Atusa:

For just a moment, a fraction of a heartbeat, it seems as if the desert itself holds its breath in anticipation of what divine proclamation you'll make, the wind pausing in its endless howling circuit through jade-bound veins that nothing might distract from your words. It must simply be your imagination, though, for if the wind goes out of anything it's Dakarai, not the sails of the Manzil-Hematti. She slumps against the side of the cage, crestfallen, "Yes, Radiance. I will do as you say, but I don't understand it. What use have we for peace with the Bintanath? What could they give us that we cannot simply take? You're Sun-touched. You could take a kite as high as it would carry you, and still not see to the ends of all that is yours by right. Why do you not let us claim it for you?"

As the negotiations with Saeiqa wrap up, Renna offers up polite platitudes to the woman, reassuring their new employer that the work that the Red Arms were hired for will be done. "All the information on the lay of the land and the composition of the enemy forces that you can provide will be very useful in getting the job done with as few casualties on my part as possible."

Depending on what Saeiqa says at this point, Renna will believe the meeting to be over, and it is time to talk to Morrolan and Rogosh. She walks over to the other two Exalts with a satisfied look on her face as she watches the soldiers go about their business, following the orders given to them. "Well my friends, we have a new job to do, and the sooner we get it done, the better it will look to our new employer." She gives the two a quick rundown on the job that needs to be done, adding, "Once we get some good intel on the layout of our opposition and the surrounding countryside, we can start to make some real plans on how to win the fight."

Morrolan nods as he listens to Renna's briefing about the mission. "Sounds straight forward enough. Do we have any ideas on if we are facing off against other Exalted? That is my only real concern. Otherwise, stomping on some mortal troops will not be a problem for us, even if I don't go into my beastman form."

John largely ignored the chaos in the background of Barker's Alley until his name was called. His eyes lifted to meet hers. He couldn't see the compass pointing at him. He could hardly even breathe. A missing part of his foundational being locked back into place knocking the wind from his lungs and all thought from his mind. Air escaped him for a moment, heartbeat after heartbeat he stood still in shock. He both knew her and didn't know her at once just as it was both a blissful and painful experience. How long had he gone without this person? She looked like she had walked through hell to get here.

Her embrace woke him from the stupor of the paradoxical moment. His arms latched onto her with no less intensity. Tears pried themselves from his eyes just as she wept into his chest. With a gentle kiss on her forehead, he accepted her apology, not like he understood what she might've done. Breath returned to him, and he spoke words that spilled from his spirit as if they'd never parted. "Welcome home, my kitten." His embrace drew tighter around her as he laughed from uncontrollable joy at the reunion.

Still, nothing about this moment made any sense to him, even as they briefly parted. Yet he had a name now. Witch Hazel. He cleared his throat and stood tall introduce himself rightly. "and I... I am Jean Latrans." he said with a thick yet formal accent before returning to the more casual speaking pattern. "Though John Barker or John works just as well. Language is a funny thing." He then gestured to the restaurant at large. "and this... well let's call this my castle." He declared with a gleaming smile. "Ah, right... let me clear the deck here. You must be starving after such a long trip."

John led the way for Hazel to take a seat by the entry-way to the back rooms. He finished loading out the orders he'd already started to clear space for what came next. "Kasra, you're flyin' solo from here. At this rate, you might have to get used to it for a good while." He bellowed, drawing out a perch from an alchemically chilled chest. He cleaved several healthy fillets from its flanks and set them to bathe in an egg-based mixture briefly. Various vegetables he diced and mixed into a bowl and chunked several potatoes into large wedges. Next to that he ground bananas into a paste with coconut milk and a dash of vanilla.

Within moments, he breaded the fish and minced vegetables and fried them alongside the potatoes. Meanwhile, the other mixture sat in a multi-layered box surrounded by a liquid letting off fumes of frigid smoke. Once the fried fish, vegetable bread puffs, and potatoes were pulled from the fryer, John moved onto pulverize a stack of cocoa wafers and chocolate bars to become their own syrupy paste. This one he kept warmed even as it was loaded into a split pitcher beside its pale, chilled counterpart. He poured both mixtures into 2 glasses as they turned, making a two-toned spiral of contrasting sweets. One was light, cold, and refreshing, the other rich, warm and satisfying.

Now that his meal was complete, he set two plates and glasses in a backside breakroom. He collapsed into a chair and pulled the towel from his forehead. "Dig in. This should hit the spot after heading out to a faraway place like this." After he bowed his head in a brief, silent prayer, the young chef unceremoniously chomped down on a piece of fish and started eating. Questions could wait, at least long enough for him to figure out where to even start.

Last edited:
John & Hazel:

As you embrace a shocked silence sweeps out over the restaurant, broken swiftly as a collective cheer goes up from the assembled staff and patrons. No one has the faintest idea what's going on - though speculation runs rampant - but everyone knows a joyous reunion when they see one, and a happy day for John is a happy day for most anyone who knows him, which is at least half the neighbourhood.

"Blessed boughs, and just in time for festival."
"Well that's just it, isn't it? Renewal and new blossoms. Old friends and lost loves made new and found."
"Great Javurwa provides."
"A toast! To new blossoms!"
"Hear hear!"
"Felicitations, Jean!"

Kasra whistles appreciatively and laughs as she fills another pair of bowls. As you guide Hazel into the back rooms and tell Kasra to hold down the fort she rolls her eyes, "Mmhmm, right, don't bother introducing me to your long lost beloved. I'll just be here, chopping vegetables. I'm good, don't worry about it. Not curious at all."

As you step through the door to the storage area you can hear Kasra taking bets, "Alright, who should I put down for, 'Eloped until her family kidnapped her back'? Yennet, take these down. 'Lost step-sister'? He doesn't have a stepsister, you say? Well that's why she's lost you twit. 'Sister lost to the Wyld'? Fanciful, but I'll take it. 'Cursed Faqari Princess'? Alright, now you're just getting silly. Despite what the stories say not every man who visits the desert gets a cursed princess. They'd run out. Fine, I'll put it down. 'Betrothed as children, kidnapped by bandits'? Who's down for 'Betrothed as children...'"

----

Renna & Morrolan

Rogosh snorts, "She didn't tell us everything she knows, sure as this desert needs rain. If her reports are to be believed, these Din are elementals run amok, get of some Mountain God too big for his britches. No Exalted, but this Eight-Forged King's a right mean bugger; old, powerful, and ticked off something fierce about something or other. Been a few centuries since he got himself up to no good, but he makes a right big mess when he has a mind to. Old Gods are not to be underestimated."

[Pass - You can plan, pick up anything you'd like to buy/find/recruit while in civilization, enact any plan for overcoming the Desert Obstacle (Convincing the people of the outlying villages on your way to lend you aid will contribute towards that Obstacle, as it helps you resupply), or skip to the night of the siege.]

Rogosh snorts, "She didn't tell us everything she knows, sure as this desert needs rain. If her reports are to be believed, these Din are elementals run amok, get of some Mountain God too big for his britches. No Exalted, but this Eight-Forged King's a right mean bugger; old, powerful, and ticked off something fierce about something or other. Been a few centuries since he got himself up to no good, but he makes a right big mess when he has a mind to. Old Gods are not to be underestimated."

[Pass - You can plan, pick up anything you'd like to buy/find/recruit while in civilization, enact any plan for overcoming the Desert Obstacle (Convincing the people of the outlying villages on your way to lend you aid will contribute towards that Obstacle, as it helps you resupply), or skip to the night of the siege.]
Renna nods. "I have yet to come across a potential employer that tells us all they know, or at the least, doesn't shade the truth a bit to make themselves look better than they should. In any case, we have a job to do. Once the men have finished getting a bit of a rest, we'll move out once more. I want to try and get some of the outlying villages to provide some fresh supplies for us. It will help to keep the morale up. Morrolan, I trust that you won't have any issues with taking to the sky to give us a literal bird's eye view of the city we are to take to get a feel for the defenses and troop layout? We have some time, but the sooner I know what I'm faced with, the better."

Atusa:

For just a moment, a fraction of a heartbeat, it seems as if the desert itself holds its breath in anticipation of what divine proclamation you'll make, the wind pausing in its endless howling circuit through jade-bound veins that nothing might distract from your words. It must simply be your imagination, though, for if the wind goes out of anything it's Dakarai, not the sails of the Manzil-Hematti. She slumps against the side of the cage, crestfallen, "Yes, Radiance. I will do as you say, but I don't understand it. What use have we for peace with the Bintanath? What could they give us that we cannot simply take? You're Sun-touched. You could take a kite as high as it would carry you, and still not see to the ends of all that is yours by right. Why do you not let us claim it for you?"

Atusa gave the other woman a warm smile, wanting to reassure her. "Warfare isn't the only way we can fulfill our goals. And it isn't the only area in which I've been blessed." she answered, before becoming more serious. Not chastising, but making clear that she had something important to say.

"I have told few of the clan, and none outside of it, but the Unconquered Sun has charged me with forming the Faqari into a great empire, a nation that matches the Sassarin Principate. If we are to do that, as well as safeguard our own position and prosperity, we're going to need to gather allies and loyal vassals. We must prove ourselves to be more than warmongers and barbarians. Do you understand me?"

[Pass. I think that's everything I wanted to do here, so I'm ready to meet with Khaemwaset.]

The Blade that Turned a Hundred Ships (Atusa)
From the clues I have, I'm going to say your Goal here is one of, in order of scope:
Peacefully Resolve the Diplomatic Incident
Build Alliances Among the Neighbours of the Hematti (Everyone? Specific Clans?)
Unite the Southern Clans into One Empire

They could each flow into the next, so I'm not going to worry so much about which one you want as your immediate Goal, but feel free to pick something that more accurately reflects what you where you want the immediate story to go.

For the first one, I think the Obstacles would be:
Persuade the Fayum to Stand Down (4) [Returning the Kheru Hasani, offering concessions or reparations from the Bintanath, honeyed words, skilled negotiating, etc]
Placate the Warmongering Faction of the Hematti (2) [This is optional, but will undermine clan unity if not pursued. Possible approaches: Extract concessions from the Bintanath; Give them a more enticing target; Consolidate power and neutralize them as a faction]

Atusa:
All sandships are prepared for war, but relatively few are made for it. It's a luxury to devote so little space to cargo and so much to weaponry. The Mandjet is made for war. Ten flame cannons, two catapults, two harpoon launchers, three kite reels, and a crew of two hundred fifty make it a formidable threat, while protective ironwood plates at alternating depths grant cover without sacrificing too much flexibility between segments. Warships tend to be of a more rigid design, with a solid central beam to keep weapons platforms stable and aligned, and make the whole structure more resilient to damage, at the cost of taking considerably more effort for their complement of Djinn to hold aloft. Their long and narrow hull profile is extended on all sides by small sails running parallel to the ground to increase lift-generating surface area, the better to hold aloft the heavy armour and weaponry they carry.

Flanked by the Neferirkare and the Niuserre it races down one of the many flat dry riverbeds that cut through the dunes, marked by great Jade obelisks every ten kilometres, Black Jade at the bottom, Blue at the top. The lorekeepers insist that once, before the collapse, these duneways overflowed with lifegiving waters to rival the Achaea, but now the Black Jade merely condenses what little moisture is carried in the air into rivulets that run down their flanks before evaporating under the harsh sun. The Blue Jade, however, still channels and guides the desert winds to form lanes on the left and right of the duneway where the wind travels swiftly in opposite directions. This network is by far the fastest way to reach almost anywhere in the desert, and control over the nodes where many duneways meet are one of the principal markers of wealth and status amongst the Clans.

Three days sailing passed silent towers, lonely pieces of long forgotten and longer buried cities, and huge wind-scarred outcroppings of red rock has brought you close to the meeting point Khaemwaset has chosen; a point unsettlingly but not suicidally close to the Maelstrom, one of the great Wyld pockets that sit at the intersection of many duneways. Each day it looms larger on the horizon, a hungry, swirling purple cloud cut through with lightning, domain of the great and terrible Lord of Chaos, Apophis.

Gyasi ever so softly slips down from the gently swaying hammock you share in the one small private cabin on the Mandjet, generously ceded by Captain Jabari. She dresses herself swiftly and silently, slips out to check on breakfast, then returns to wake you with a kiss. "Time for the sun to rise, Radiance," she says with a smile as she dresses you. You don't need to look at the soft glow in the east to feel it's almost dawn as you step out of your cabin onto the second of three decks. The wind is bitterly cold this time of day, but it carries the tantalizing smell of roasting meat and beer. Sirocco materializes beside you as Gahiji stands at attention and calls out, "Nomarch on deck!" All the sailors within earshot, whether in the rigging, manning weapons, patrolling the deck, praying at the shrines to the ship's Djinn, navigating, or performing maintenance, salute and reply, "May she reign eternal!"

Captain Jabari beckons you over to sit with her and her son and first officer Mudada beside the firepit where the Djinn Beacon in Darkness has been slowly roasting a goat to perfection all night. Jabari is three months pregnant, and has been relentlessly preparing her son to temporarily take over her command for when she can no longer fulfil her duties.

"Blessed morning, Radiance," she says as she hands you a mug of the thick, filling beer enjoyed all across Achaea, complete with ironwood straw. You could subsist off of it if you had to, and have more than once. "I'd be well asleep, but this old hunk of coals keeps insisting my dinner isn't yet ready to serve," Jabari says with a yawn. She's a hard looking woman who has seen her fortieth calibration come and go, and spent more of those years than not commanding a sandship with the scars to prove it.

"IT IS ALMOST READY!" booms Beacon in Darkness, taking a long swig from a wineskin and belching fire. He's a hulking mountain of a man in corporeal form, eyes like glowing coals, much of his dark red skin decorated with luminous red tattoos, especially his bald scalp. He's something of a perfectionist when it comes to barbecue and not even the captain would gainsay him; alcohol, food offered up to flame, and meals dedicated being amongst the Djinn's favourite sources of prayer, and thus the only thing keeping these ships flying.

"You've been saying that all night, Beacon. There wouldn't be anything left by the time you were done if you had it your way," chides Mudada playfully. He gives you a nervous but determined glance as you approach, but he hides it well. He has a lot to prove stepping into his mother's boots, and you are who he most needs to prove it to.

"YOUR IMPATIENCE DOES YOU NO CREDIT, MORTAL!" he retorts, the faintest flicker of a smile in his eyes that never touches his lips.

Gyasi crosses her arms, "Not all of us can wait until the end of time for breakfast. Serve her Radiance, or would you let your Oathbearer go hungry?"

He examines the stuck goat for several seconds, then pauses dramatically and declares, "IT IS READY!" to a chorus of groans.

"I see how it is," Jabari says, but it doesn't stop her from taking one of the cuts doused in spicy sauce and wrapped in flatbread. "If you weren't so good at this I'd have thrown you overboard years ago."

Beacon in Darkness makes a sound you've long learned to interpret as a guffaw, a deep crackling like wood breaking in a firepit. This ship was his before Jabari was born, and will be his long after the desert calls her home. "YOU MAY TRY IT, OLD WOMAN."

You've barely begun breakfast, the sun only just cresting the horizon, when Sirocco interrupts, "Radiance. The lead kite reports firedust discharges and faerie lights to the northeast."

Gahiji mutters darkly, "Idiots. Bait monsters, don't be shocked when they bite."

Last edited:
Atusa made sure to wrap her arms around Gyasi and deepen the kiss, sighing pleasurably into the other woman's mouth as she stroked her back with both hands. She kept it going for a good few seconds, before reluctantly ending it and swinging her legs out of the hammock, allowing Gyasi to dress her in her boots and buff jacket of camel hide, as well as a pair of loose, sand-colored trousers. For her head, she wore a dark red headscarf that covered everything but her face. It was all attire that was practical for the desert, its quality the only indication of Atusa's status.

Once dressed, she encircled Gyasi's waist with both arms and drew her in for another long kiss, letting her know without words how much she appreciated the other woman's company in and out of bed. "I look forward to another night like the last." she said softly. "I hope you're just as eager to have the sun set upon you again."

She grinned as if to emphasize her own innuendo, then released the other woman for the second time that morning. Buckling her sheathed daiklaves onto her belt and stepping out onto the deck, Atusa gave a smile to all the members of the crew, before walking towards the firepit and sitting down at it. She thanked Jabari for the cup of beer, and smiled throughout the banter between her and Beacon. As she started eating her own bit of pork wrapped in flatbread, she made casual conversation with the others around the firepit, asking how they were and if they had slept well last night.

When she heard Sirocco's warning and Gahiji's assessment of the situation, she stood up calmly, but with the thought that there was going to be some drama today. "How far away from us is it? Can our kites get a clearer picture?" she asked the djinn.

Her first thought was that there was a clash of some kind going on between members of the Court of Bleached Bone and some other desert travelers, possibly another Faqari clan. Whatever the case, Atusa wasn't going to commit her own forces without a clear idea of what was happening.

[OOC: Are Bleached Bone attacks common to this part of the network?]

Atusa:

Gyasi gasps and shivers as you run your fingers down her back, so lost in the sensation she nearly falls over when you abruptly slip out from beneath her. She adjusts her dress, slightly chagrined, and gets to work.

When you wrap your arms around her waist she melts into you, reciprocating the kiss enthusiastically. "I always look forward to having the pleasure of serving you absolutely any way you please, Radiance," she replies breathily, eyes shining, blushing happily, and innuendo aside you know she really means it. She takes serving you extremely seriously, and as your concubine how others perceive her reflects upon you, so she considers her appearance to be an essential part of her duty. The sheer linen of her kalasiris does absolutely nothing to hide her body, cinched at the waist by a blue jewelled kamarband with only a short white linen wrapped skirt underneath. As always, before you've even stepped out of bed she's done her makeup, beaded her hair, and donned her jewelry. Between the heavy pectoral, bracelets, rings, and anklets, more of her is obscured by bronze, lapis lazuli, and sapphire than linen. The beads in her hair proudly mark her as your property and extol your virtues in a novel way each day - you can tell she enjoys being a living testament to your glory.

"I enjoy dressing you just as much as undressing you. You're too important to spend all day in bed with me." She sings softly as she puts the finishing touches on you,
"And if only you knew
just how much the sun needs you
to help him light the skies
you would be surprised."

"Perfect," she declares with a smile, donning a fur cloak to ward off the chill before following you out.

-----

"Yes, Radiance," replies Captain Jabari crisply, all signs of exhaustion banished from her face as she sets about the business of readying the ship for danger. She fills her white linen uniform well, loose pants tucked into black boots, loose shirt tucked into red belt and sash of command, sword and flamepiece at her hip, the metallic beads in her braided hair signifying heraldry and rank shining in the early dawn light. "Beacon, clear first and second kite for launch."

Beacon cranes his head back and takes a deep breath at which point Mudada and several other nearby sailors prudently cover their ears. He passes on the Captain's orders with a deep booming voice projected high into the sky on surging winds, "FIRST AND SECOND KITE, RECONNAISSANCE LAUNCH!"

Of the three kites currently aloft above the Mandjet, two unhook from their lines and immediately dive to pick up speed, levelling out to race towards the distant conflict until they're tiny dots on the horizon. Their Djinn-blooded pilots have enough command of wind and fire to spot and, when necessary, create thermal updrafts and gusts to keep them flying for quite a while when not laden with weapons, weather permitting. Their lines stay aloft on their own sails so the kites can reattach when they return to be reeled back in.

"Mudada, bring us to arms, and signal the Neferirkare and Niuserre to do the same."

"Yes, Captain," he says with a salute, his dress the same as his mother except for sash of orange instead of red, before dashing up a nearby ladder to the top deck. "Herald, arms if you please!" he orders as he passes the drummer who promptly starts hammering out a slow pulsing beat that reverberates through the ship, sparking a flurry of activity as bleary-eyed sailors pour out of hammocks, weapons are distributed and readied, and everything not strictly necessary for war is tied down. As he climbs into the rigging he passes along the message to raise the colourful kites that indicate possible approaching danger and commanding the escort ships to come to arms.

Fifteen tense minutes later and both kites have safely hooked themselves back on to their tethers and Sirocco closes her eyes to concentrate on listening to their distant report. Finally her eyes open and she raises her fist to cast a plume of fire into the air to indicate the report has been received before speaking quietly, "The kites report four vessels sporting Bintanath colours under sail in a junction twenty minutes ahead and to the left, pursued by a large Poison Fang raiding party." Her report delivered and her duties discharged, she looks to the horizon wistfully, "Aejej will fight back to back with her beloved, then weep over him as he dies in her arms." She turns to you, eyes burning painfully bright, "If you should die in my arms Atusa, I shall compose a song to capture the depths of my grief at your passing that will be sung for a thousand years."

Gahiji growls, "How about you focus on keeping her Radiance alive, instead of writing songs about her untimely demise?"

Sirocco looks at him like he's a complete moron, "If I didn't give everything fighting valiantly to defend her life, who would ever want to sing the song?"

Captain Jabari speaks loudly over your bodyguards, "Radiance. There's a fork ahead - shall we commit or disengage?"

Last edited:
"Don't start brainstorming just yet. I have no plans to die on this day." said Atusa, grinning at both Sirocco and Gahiji. Then she became more serious as Jabari asked for orders.

"We commit. I'm already planning to try and defuse a delicate situation for the Bintanath, so we may as well save their skins here." she said, looking ahead with a determined expression. "Let's find out if the Poison Fang have ever fought a Solar before."

Atusa:

The sandships of the Poison Fang are things of nightmare, beautiful and menacing in equal measure, sails of skin and scale and pearlescent light driving thin black gossamer frames covered with intricate animate carvings of serpents, seemingly held aloft by nothing more than ravenous hunger for mortal souls. One is unsettling, ten frightening, but the full hundred you see pursuing the Bintanath ships as the Mandjet clears the red rock canyon would be a significant threat to even the Manzil-Hematti. Around the larger vessels coil immense black serpents with scarlet eyes spitting globs of caustic liquid like siege artillery, and astride a dais on the top deck of the largest vessel sits a pair of thrones that proclaim in no uncertain terms their occupants sovereigns of nightmare, carved of thousands of petrified snakes, backs like a cobra's hood.

The dry riverbed here forms a ring around the remains of a towering stone temple complex, a hundred metre tall obelisk at its centre, the ring acting as an interchange for half a dozen duneways. The four Bintanath vessels, two nearly as large as the Mandjet, though nowhere near as well armoured, and two smaller escorts, are racing at top speed towards the junction where your river merges with the ring. The frontmost vessel flies Khaemwaset's personal crest, the other three forming a bulwark of fire and cold iron between it and the fastest and lightest of the pursuers that seek to harry and slow their victims with a hail of poisoned arrows, viciously hooked harpoons, grappling lines, and reckless high speed boarding attempts. As you watch one of the flame cannons of the rear guard catches one of these light raiders on approach, incinerating half of its crew of serpentine hobgoblins and ritually scarred mortal cultists and sending it careening into a stone wall where it dissolves into fragments of unreality and charred flesh. Its three sister vessels fare better, hooking the unfortunate escort with harpoons and pulling themselves alongside for their crew to attempt the leap into the waiting arrows, flamepieces, swords, and spears of the crew, slowing the beleaguered ship dangerously in the process such that it begins to lag behind the others. The largest rearguard vessel destroys one of the attached raiders with a well placed shot from a flamecannon before being forced to swerve to narrowly avoid several incoming globs of acid from siege serpents by the grace of Djinn erected wind barriers, but the escort vessel is still dangerously out of position and falling further behind by the second.

"Merecheas, gaze upon us and ward us against your roving right eye," mutters Gahiji softly, a traditional prayer to ward away death, and similar prayers to a myriad divinites can be heard on the lips of every crew member. This is no mere hunting party but a full on war host, and the crew is shaken at the sight of the enemy arrayed in all their terrifying glory.

[Merecheas was once the Goddess of Life, Death, and Rebirth, opening or closing her left eye of life and right eye of death as the situation demanded, but when she banned Necromancy in the Principate in ages past she was said to have gouged out her eye of death and sacrificed it to defeat a great evil. It roams free now, frightened off only by the gaze of her life-giving left eye. The Sassarin believe it spends most of its time in the desert, far away from Merecheas' watchful gaze over the floodplains. The Faqari do not disagree.]

So the sail rules are trash, but you can choose to roll Sail or War + Intelligence for Strategic Maneouvre if you'd like to pull off a Stratagem. The Raksha Cataphracts will be rolling 7 dice, but at a penalty of -2 for already being committed to battle. If your Stratagem requires you enter the battlefield in a different position than I've described, or requires the terrain be different to accommodate your chosen battlefield, go ahead and extend or overrule my description at your leisure.

There are two main ways I can see to handle this battle. You can go for the throat and try to take out the pair of Cataphracts, either by attracting their attention so they come after you or by going for the throat and assaulting their ship. If they're destroyed the rest will break and run. For that we'd use the regular Join Battle rules. Or you can help the Bintanath disengage by holding off the pursuers and outmanoeuvring the enemy to escape. For that we can do extended command and martial prowess rolls to find out how many, if any, of the allied ships are lost in the escape, and how many crew die, or we can do full on Join Battle for any boarding actions you participate in. Your choice there.

Raksha are proud and in it for the theatrics as much as the souls, so they will be amenable to things like personal challenges and wagers if you can prove you're worth their time and attention.

You can also do something completely different, and we'll sort out mechanics for that.

Last edited:
As directed, Morrolan takes a moment to shift his form into that of a splendid eagle and takes to the sky, heading for the far off target that the Red Arms are about to assault. The more information on troop layouts and numbers that he can bring back to Renna, the more lives it will save of her men.

Morrolan:

Rogosh jumps as you abruptly transform into an eagle before him and take off. "Never gonna get used to that," he mumbles, bemused. "They really are taller than you! I'm not telling tales, Sir! You'll see!" he calls after you, then shrugs and with a nod to the men pitching the tent he sets off to find the Captain.

It takes you only an hour of hard flying through dark skies to reach Kabir, avoiding much of the time added by the rough terrain and switchback roads and avoiding the worst of the ash storms by flying above them. The city itself is composed to several immense beige domes surrounded by sturdy walls. The domes themselves don't seem large enough to support the population in the reports you read, nor the volume of trade this city is purported to see, so the city itself must stretch underground.

Rogosh was not wrong. Through the darkness you can see in the low hills west of Kabir are arrayed an impressive army of tall, heavily muscled humanoid creatures with horns of widely varying lengths, their eyes, spears, and shields glittering in the light of the large bonfires the defenders have lit on the walls. The darkness doesn't make it easy, but your estimate lines up with his: Almost a thousand in total are mustered here. In the middle of all of them, pulled by several huge lizards, is a large black stepped pyramid that seems to plow through the earth like water. At its summit drummers pound out a furious beat that you feel in your bones even from high up in the air. From the way you see the walls shake, and the many soldiers atop them struggle to keep their footing, you can only imagine how much more intense the tremors in the earth must be. This must be some sort of sorcerous siege engine the Din intend to use to breach the walls.

The defenders seem outnumbered two to one, and these Din look much more than equal to a mortal soldier. Without their walls to protect them, you wouldn't wager a sliver of a dinar on the city holding out for the night.

Renna:

Your command tent has only just been pitched, your furniture still being unloaded from the wagons, when Rogosh arrives to present his report, with Wisdom's Star dismounting to follow close behind him. Rogosh salutes, "Captain. Good news is Kabir is another few hours march uproad. Bad news is the city's already well under siege. Worse news is I've now seen a Din. Right big fuckers they are. Taller and thicker even than Master Morrolan, with horns like Ahlat and claws like a krait dragon. I don't think he believed me, because he took right off as soon as I told him. To go see them for himself, I think. Anyway, the better part of a thousand of them by my count, with some kind of giant siege lizards, siege towers, and... well I'm not sure what it was. It was large, like a big moving temple, but I think it was some kind of weapon. I don't even know how to describe it proper other than 'loud' and 'probably bad news'. It looked like they were preparing for a night assault, and I don't put good odds on the walls holding against that."

Wisdom's Star listens attentively as Rogosh speaks, taking off her helm to wipe off the sweat from her brow. When he finishes she steps up beside him and salutes. "Captain. The mounted scouts uproad have stumbled across a caravan bound for the city carrying foodstuffs stopped on the road. They report the caravan driver has heard rumours of the city's plight and is refusing to go any further, and he's willing to sell us the food he's carrying. We could certainly use it, especially if we intend to run an extended campaign here what with how little forage there is, but I suspect he's already been paid for the goods he's delivering to the city. Merchants never miss a chance to charge twice. We could just seize it. Food won't do the city any good if they're dead, and it sounds like they're dead without us."

"Full bellies would do wonders for morale," grumbles Rogosh grudgingly.

Her official report concluded, Wisdom's Star peers up at the sky. "The is ash makes them hard to read, but the stars speak of tragedy, though it isn't clear whose. They speak of violence and a fleeting chance for glory." She looks back down at you, "Sometimes the future isn't hard to read. I recommend we take the food, have a good meal, and ride hard for the city before it falls."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back