• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

O Brave New World - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
The shadows cast by the panoplies of the forgotten warriors dance against the walls in the flickering light of the flames that follow you. Despite their warm glow, the light that reflects off the dark pool is pale as moonlight.

Moswen nods, "Yeah, we can set an ambush at the gate, that's a good idea. We can't have people muscling in on our claims, but they aren't going to come looking for this," she taps the Index where it hangs in a pouch at her waist. "The people we took it from were long dead, and I don't think they need it anymore. This building had to have hundreds of people working in it every day. There must be a normal way to get the doors to open, and given this person - the tracks don't show multiple sets of footprints with the same amount of dust in them so I think it is just one person, not counting Djinn or Spirits - knew about these gates and how to use, them I'm guessing they also know how to open the doors. This thing is... some kind of backup key. For emergencies, maybe. We found it in a fortress. Matsi thinks it works in a lot of buildings from this era."

"These people always loved to put their most important stuff at the top of these things. They like giving me a workout. So we can work up a sweat together, orrr we can take a dip and find out where this visitor came from."

Atusa nodded at the confirmation that whoever else had gotten in here hadn't used the Index.

"Let's do the latter. Might as well, considering where we are right now." she said, turning her attention to the limestone ring. "What is this thing, anyway? Some kind of...gateway?"

Health Levels: X, X, X, -1, -1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Initiative: 5
Anima: Dim
Wound Penalty: -1

Personal Essence: 2/13
Peripheral Essence: 33/33
Committed Essence: 12
Willpower: 3/5
Offhand Charge: 2/7

Evasion 4, Parry 5
Armor: Buff Jacket (Soak 3, Mobility Penalty 0)
Natural Soak: 2
Armored Soak: 3
Hardness: 0

Passage to the Underworld (Atusa)
Atusa:

Moswen's blue eyes light up at your endorsement, "Really?! Oh I like you!" She rushes to take off her sandals, hang them at her sash, and step into the pool before you can change your mind. "Yes, almost certainly, and if I told -" She hisses as her feet slip into the water, "Cold! I like it though. It's refreshing. Where was I? Oh, right, if I told my family I wanted to go through they'd be all, 'It's been thousands of years, Moswen. The gate could open onto a sheer drop, the bottom of a lake, or a solid rock wall, if it still works properly at all. Send a slave through first to see if they survive," she pantomimes, waving an admonishing finger. You can't see her mouth, but you can tell she's grinning as she grabs your hand and pulls you along with her, "But it'll be fun. Sure, whoever uses this gate might be able to fly, or breathe water, or walk through solid walls, but probably not, and I bet it goes somewhere exciting. There won't be any traps in this pool," she declares as she pulls, looking at you instead of her feet, "It was guarded, and you don't stab your own people in the foot just for forgetting to skip the right stone."

The water is cool and Moswen's hands warm against your skin, and then you're standing before the gate. Even this close you can't feel the slightest hint of movement in the air, and yet the curtain billows, shimmering in a white light with no clear source. "Ready?" she asks as she shakes the water off her feet and puts her sandals back on. She takes a deep breath and steels herself, "Go!"

You've never plunged into a bath of ice water before - that's a level of conspicuous wealth few can claim - but you're fairly certain this is what it would feel like. It knocks the breath from your lungs, and then almost as quickly as it began it's gone. The air is bitterly cold, but at least you have your armour. Far worse is the sense that you can't breathe. The air feels thin and empty even as the cold burns your throat and lungs, and it takes a few seconds for the initial rising panic to subside before you realize that you can breathe just fine, it's the source of your miraculous power that feels missing from the air. No, not missing, just thin, like when you take a kite too high into the sky. Drawing your power in with your breath has become so natural to you since Exalting that the sudden difficulty feels unsettling. Moswen's chattering teeth and shivering hand in yours bring your attention back to the world around you. These temperatures are going to be fatal to Moswen in minutes, and to you in a few more. A quick glance behind you shows the gate still reassuringly present and reachable, constructed of a light-drinking black stone on this side.

Stretching out before you is a vast undulating plain of ice that curves upwards at the edges all the way to a sky filled with dead stars that don't so much shine as offer a respite from the all consuming darkness that surrounds them. Obelisks of black metal covered in vibrant green arcane sigils descend from the sky to the ice sheet, equally spaced in a perfect grid until they reach the edge of the circle, their size defying easy comprehension, too numerous to quickly count. Those at the very edge are fully encased within the ice wall, little more than black silhouettes, the light of their sigils scattered and refracted. Periodically the darkness is pierced by a scintillating orb falling from the sky with a varicoloured streamer of light behind it before the orb is pulled into the nearest obelisk to vanish in a bright flash, briefly illuminating the ice sheet beneath it.

Between chattering teeth Moswen manages to stammer, "B-Blessed Ptahmah-mah! [Ptahmah, God of Wealth Hidden Beneath the Sands] L-l-look at a-all this ice! I'm f-freezing my t-tits off, but we're r-r-rich!"

She looks down at her feet to search for signs of the intruder's passage, her eyes going wide with shock. Teeth still chattering "Wh-what the f-f-fuck is th-th-that?" You can't tell if she's paling from shock or the cold. Probably both. You're already having difficulty feeling her fingers in your own. Looking down through the perfectly smooth frozen lake around the gate, transparent like thick glass, you can barely make out what appears to be a battle raging far below in a ruined cityscape. Like a rolling natural disaster, some immense hundred-limbed spider is striding over the battlefield, disassembling every structure it passes over and reassembling them into new forms in its wake. The battle lines part for it as it passes, those too slow to get out of the way presumably being crushed or used as building materials.

Last edited:
The cold hit Atusa like a blow to the gut. She was a child of deserts, of constant exposure to sunlight. Even with the Unconquered Sun's blessing, she knew that she couldn't last long in her current state, and she doubted that Moswen would be able to handle it any better.

A brief look at the gigantic, many-legged monster was all she was willing to take, before the Zenith took Moswen's hand and led her back towards the gate.

"Come on. Let's get out of here before we freeze." she said.

[Is the icy area known to the Faqari? What about the many legged spider? Could I make an Intelligence + Lore roll to figure out either?]

Anima: Dim

Personal Essence: 2/13
Peripheral Essence: 33/33
Committed Essence: 12
Willpower: 3/5
Offhand Charge: 2/7

Evasion 4, Parry 5

Atusa:

With another plunge through ice water you materialize with Moswen back on the small island in the midst of the black pool. Aajej's little flames didn't survive the passage, so the chamber is lit only by the faint glow of the curtain behind you and the sigils on the gate. In the dim light you can see the pool has frozen into a solid sheet of black ice out to a distance of a few metres from the island, while the rest of the pool is still liquid.

Moswen is pale - paler than usual, that is - and shaking, but giddy as she smiles at you and exclaims, "Wooo! That was fun!" and then promptly collapses to her knees. "Oooh, I don't feel so..." she doesn't managed to finish her thought before she slumps against you. You can see ice has formed on her feet, still damp from the pool when you crossed, and her skin feels clammy and cold. The air in this chamber is damp and cool, but just outside it's warm and dry.

[Even a professional historian would have some trouble identifying these. They do map to known legends, but they're quite different from the way their mythological counterparts are described. The icy place is a difficulty 4 Lore roll, the many legged spider difficulty 3.]

Hazel & John:

You didn't forget how handsome John was, any more than you forgot the sky was blue, but some days the elements conspire to remind you just how blue it can be. When he's pressed against you like this in the shadows it's hard to remember what it felt like to think about anything else.

In the depths of your soul Erembour stirs languidly, "My, listen to that heart race." Her voice is like nails running down your back, sending shivers down your spine. If this is the tiniest fraction of her power it's unsettling to contemplate what she's like unbound. "Do you need help, kitten? I think you need help." Your shadow forms a hand that gently slips under his shirt to rest at his hip.

You're spared the immediate consequences of Erembour's 'assistance' when footsteps approach the alcove and the hand dissolves as quickly as it appeared. Quiet Reverie clears her throat, "Here it is, Magister. Everything we have related to the Alcazar of Twelve Ewers. Please let me know if you require anything else."

The Magister hums, pleased, "I'll take it all."

Quiet Reverie, clearly nonplussed, attempts to politely demur, "Magister, I'm afraid no one is permitted to remove works from - Oh, I see. Yes, of course you are. I'll have the elementals fetch them." Footsteps can be heard departing down the hall.

A new voice, like a soft wind through reeds, speaks in Old Realm, "Thamina! Don't do that to mortals."

Thamina sighs, replying in Old Realm, "It's fine, Taza. They're our scrolls, the Javurwans were merely minding them for us. Now I'm taking them back so that Necromancer," she all but spits the word, "doesn't get her dirty hands on them."

You hear the sounds of scrolls being unrolled, and Thamina clicking her tongue in disapproval, "It could take days to cross reference all of this and pinpoint the Alcazar. She'll be long gone by then." She grits her teeth, "All the accumulated knowledge in the Alcazar is ours. We made it. How does she have a map?"

Tazadahar replies, reproachful, "You know who she was in life. She could have drawn that map from memory. You're trying and failing to distract me from your transgression."

"Come on! If Ea-Abzu makes the desert bloom we're all doomed! The Lady isn't doing anything!"

"The ends justify the means, Thamina? I know you didn't fail your ethics examination, or you wouldn't be standing here."

Thamina sighs in exasperation, "The thing about ethics examinations is you don't need to believe the answer to write it." Ten seconds of tense silence follows this outburst until she reluctantly, sulkily continues, "Fine! I'll be more ethical. When I was creating you I didn't think I was making my Hanama-damned conscience."

"You're welcome," replies Tazadahar dryly.

Several minutes of silence punctuated by the rustle of papyrus follows before Tazadahar breaks it, "What will happen to the Faqari?"

"You mean the loyalists? Well, I imagine once they aren't always on the edge of starvation they'll lose much of their savagery in time. I'd say, 'Imagine what they could accomplish if they didn't spend all their time killing each other', but we've all learned that already, haven't we?" she observes dryly. "We'll have to exert a civilizing influence over those that remain free to prevent a repeat of that disaster. I understand they were invaluable in the war, but that sort of barbarism is a double edged sword. Perhaps we'll keep those beautiful ships around for sporting events."

Footsteps and the rustle of a small army of bushes heralds the return of Quiet Reverie. "Collect everything on the shelves of this alcove," she commands. "Where shall I have the scrolls delivered, Magister?"

"My carriage, please."

In a flurry of motion the shelves of the alcove are emptied and their contents carted off.

"One last look around, then it's time to get moving. We need to be ready to go when she leaves. I won't lose her."

[Thamina is rolling 6 dice to spot you. Stealth + [Dexterity or Stamina] to remain hidden, if you want to remain hidden at all.]

Being this close to Jean was... why did it have to feel she could just close her eyes and get lost here? If not for those outside. If not for... Erembour.

Stop that! She thought to the demoness. What in earth was she thinking. That now of all times to be "charitable". Ooooh. She was doing it on purpose no doubt.

As Hazel moved to swat the shadow hand away, where it vanished just as Hazels hand reached there to replace it. She could feel her face heating up, not because of the touch, but because now it would surely look like she was copping a feel!

Even still. She had to freeze. Not daring to.move as the conversation took place. An enlightening one at that... things were moving here it seemed. And it seemed like more than she and John were seeking these mysteries.

Despite the awkwardness of the situation, she drew even closer to John. Closer her eyes and calling to the shadows... Not you, Erembour!... Luna had blessed her to be one with the shadows, and drawing on her inner essence she made them her allies.

The darkness of the annex heeded her call, shunning away the light and cloaking Hazel in shadow. None would see her, or John for her shadow was now cast over him.

It would not be until the last footsteps completely disappeared before she finally pulled herself away from John and stepped out.

John blinked as Hazel drew closer and reached for his hip. By reflex, he reached for hers then consciously committed to the embrace. Why waste the chance to cuddle his mate?

Soon the veil of darkness covered both of them. He quietly drew in a breathe to focus his other senses. With scent being his sharpest sense, he doubled down and drew upon his reserves of essence to lock the scent of this magister into his memory for later reference. In the background, the idle conversation grew curious. A map... Could she, someone familiar with the foundations of this place, not piece it together herself?

[Using Keen Taste and Smell Technique to add the stranger's scent to John's library in case a bloodhound maneuver is necessary later on]

John was still pondering various means of reverse engineering as Hazel exited their hiding spot. Disappointment played across his face. "Over already? Perhaps we'll pick up where we left off another time then." He teased with a playful smile. "In the meantime, it sounds like a necromancer is chasing after this place right? Sassarin officials notwithstanding, I'm not sure it's wise to just let anyone reach this place first. I also can't say that taking over a place like that wouldn't make us a pair of big fishes either. Still in for getting eyes on it yourself with me? I think I know how we can discern its location with what we have on hand."

Atusa took the chance to wrap her arms around Moswen and hold her close, enjoying the feel of the other woman's weight against her despite the coldness. After a couple of seconds - perhaps a bit longer than was strictly necessary - she grinned down at the blonde.

"Come on. If there's nothing else to be found in here, we should leave this chamber and get warmed back up." she said, gently stroking Moswen's back.

[Rolling Int + Lore for both things. Regardless of the results, Decided not to bother with the rolls, seeing is my Int + Lore pool is only 4. Would next like to head to the top to look around for the orbs, as suggested in this post.]

Atusa:

Moswen shivers violently as you hold her, murmuring, " 's n-nice"

When you rise she makes a disappointed noise, "You wanna g-go... where?" She looks pale and lost, like a warrior who has lost too much blood. "Oh, o-okay." She tries to rise but her arm gives out beneath her, "Sorry. J-j-just need a... m-minute..."

Is this what happens to people in the cold? How does anyone live in the North?

[Atusa doesn't have the Medicine to recognize it, but Moswen has hypothermia from even that brief exposure plus the portal transits. She needs to be warmed up in a hurry. Mortals are delicate flowers. Once you've saved her we'll move to the ascent.]

Atusa might not have been entirely familiar with hypothermia, but she could tell right away that Moswen was dying, and her instincts told her that it could only have happened due to the extreme cold of wherever that portal had sent them.

Without hesitation, she picked the mortal woman up - bridal style - and ran with her away from the portal, back into the area connecting all the chambers. This had happened because of cold, so logically she figured that warmth would reverse it. As she ran, she called out to the others.

"She's dying! The portal took us into an area that was beyond cold! We need to warm her up!"

She was afraid. She didn't want Moswen to die, and it wasn't because such a thing would put a damper on relationships with the Bintanath.

[Hmm. My first instinct is to try and get the djinn to help keep Moswen warm (is Sirocco accompanying us, or just Aejej?), but would they have the knowledge/sense to not kill her while doing so? I'm looking up hypothermia online, and from what I've read so far, too much heat and/or improperly applied heat can make things worse. In any case, we're moving her back into the warmer, connecting room.]

Atusa:

[Good point about Sirocco. It doesn't make much sense for your bodyguard to leave your side in a potentially dangerous place, with only the protection of your former enemies turned tentative allies! We'll ignore her inexplicable silence up to now.]

Your flawless balance lets you sprint across the black ice in darkness without missing a step, leap across the rest of the pool, and land at a run. You navigate the central chamber in darkness by memory, and from there the flickering flames of the others waiting in the central passage guide you back. Moswen is in good hands. Yours, yes, but also the Djinn, for while Djinn understand human health little, they have long learned how imbalances of air and fire essence affect the mortals around them, bring creatures of the same, and Moswen's meridians are dangerously full of frigid air essence and depleted of fire.

As you kneel with Moswen in your arms, Aajej materializes beside you, concerned and puzzled, "There is something wrong with the air essence inside her. I cannot command it. We'll have to flush it out slowly." She creates a cheerfully crackling bonfire from nothing, floating slightly above the stone nearby.

Dematerialized behind you, Sirocco's voice is a soft whisper in your ear, "Lay her down and massage her to keep the essence flowing. I will warm the air."

Moswen snuggles her head into your lap, mask and hood removed, and sighs pleasantly as you massage warmth into her upper body while Aajej handles the lower. After a few minutes of this her skin is no longer cold and clammy beneath your fingers and she's stopped shivering, " 's nice," She murmurs softly, "should freeze to death more oft- Ow! Ow!" she yelps as Aajej starts massaging life back into her frozen feet.

A few minutes later she's sitting up beside the fire with you drinking some water, wiping the sweat off her skin with a towel, and looking significantly less pale. She grins at you, "Well, that was exciting!" She seems to remember he manners and averts her eyes and blushes slightly, "Thank you, Nomarch Atusa. I'm in your debt for saving my life." She looks down at your hands, her blush deepening slightly as she feigns a shiver, "I still feel a little bit cold, though, could you...?"

Sirocco's partially materialized form gives you a knowing smile that reassures you that Moswen is not actually chilled at all, let alone in any danger.

[It's all good regarding Sirocco. I kinda assumed from the line "Sirocco materializes and falls into step beside you." in this post that she was going to be accompanying me into the temple, but I just wanted to make sure.]

Atusa had let out a sigh of relief when it became clear that Moswen was going to recover. As they all sat by the fire later on, and the mortal woman started to make her request, Atusa smirked a little when she heard it, especially when she saw the look on Sirocco's face.

"Well, if you insist." she said in a joking manner, sliding an arm around Moswen's shoulders before gently pulling and holding the other woman close against her.

"You heard your father offering me the choice of you or one of your sisters earlier, yes?" she asked in a soft whisper, not wanting to include Hasani or Aejej in this conversation. "Tell me, how do you feel about that?"

Atusa:

Hasani has thankfully long since returned to a lower floor to rest his arms somewhere he does not have to hang from narrow stone handholds over a seemingly bottomless shaft while you and Moswen explore. Sirocco and Aajej keep a polite distance away, but they share a glance and dematerialize at the same time when you wrap your arms around Moswen. They almost always materialize and dematerialize together, and stay close to one another, so neither can harm the other's charges before they can intercede. Their command of the wind means no amount of whispering will keep your conversation private, but privacy is a luxury soon sacrificed on the altar of power. There is an unspoken covenant that Djinn don't speak of the private conversations they are witness to, but you know as well as anyone that covenant is not so sacred a determined and powerful ruler can't see it broken.

Moswen sighs pleasantly as she relaxes into your arms. "So cunning and manipulative!" she says playfully, "Father would be proud. To ask me that while my life is in your delightfully warm and very capable hands, and the moment I owe you a life debt. If I answer incorrectly, you might take your arms away, and I don't want that. I could freeze to death!" She runs her fingers along the back of the hand wrapped around her, thoughtful, "Honestly, being bundled up and given away as tribute to a goddess wasn't what I had in mind when I rolled out of my hammock this morning, but I'm... mmmm warming up to the idea." She smiles and snuggles closer to you, "Let's see, how do I feel about it. I feel concerned that If you massage my shoulders again, I won't be able to say no if you choose me."

Atusa gave Moswen a look of mock indignation. "You think I would stoop so low as to take advantage of this situation? You insult my honour and that of my ancestors!"

She chuckled at the act of feigned affront, but continued to keep her arm around the other woman, shifting it so that it was around her waist. "I'm in a similar boat. I wasn't expecting to receive such a reward this morning either." she admitted with a smile, her tone a little more serious. "Still though, while I won't complain, I also want to make sure that you're truly okay with it. I would never force myself upon an unwilling woman. There's only so much that being chosen by the Unconquered Sun entitles us to..."

[Pass. Ready to move on to the next part of the spelunking. Don't think there's much else for me to do here besides flirt, and this probably isn't the most appropriate of environments.]

Last edited:
John unfurls the scroll he pocketed in his haste. With a steady hand, he traces over the diagrams for the manse's design noting the pattern of weaving dragon lines down to the heart of the demesne. The pattern recognition begins to click and the flow of essence plays through his mind. He moves to the section detailing material components used in the design and copied the notes with meticulous accuracy. "I see... not only do the materials give off a signature but this result has an unmistakable byproduct as well." The Solar turned to his mate, now with a satisfied smirk. "There's an aromatic medicinal flower this demesne and manse produce. It's a magically induced hybrid strain called the Afflatus Lily. It's famous in Faqari lands for once restarting the still heart of a chieftain's grievously ill daughter. That's not been duplicated, but it hasn't stopped others from trying. For now, it's often used for topical remedies that go through the skin down to the muscle. That is, when someone actually has it on hand."

John pauses to take more thorough notes to copy the document and replaces it on the now empty shelf. "Legends aside, the now rare plant will only clue us in if we can get in somewhat close. Based on the designs I just copied I have a diagram of the geomantic network that we can cross-reference in the place they stash the maps." He takes Hazel by the hand to lead her through the library he'd infiltrated many times already. "C'mon! this way!"

[John has specialties in Achaen Settlements and Achaen Commerce. I hope one of those would suffice to a miracle flower known to one of the groups of people in Achaea. Hopefully crossing paths with others in the group with help build momentum here.

Assuming a specialty can apply here, John Lore charms add an automatic success and "extra successes are doubled" which I think means threshold. Full Excellency for 19 dice... so technically 9 successes? What an awful roll. Better to get it out of my system now I guess.]

The Overseers (Renna & Morrolan) & The Guardian of the Armoury (Atusa)
[Aaaand we're back to our regularly scheduled program.]

Renna & Morrolan:

Overseer Lualhati's heavy rings rap loudly against his stone desk to cut through the noise of what might generously be called a vigorous debate, and less charitably incoherent squabbling. He's a heavyset man, considerably muscle having run to fat in his later years, with thick arms and hands calloused from decades of hard work. "Fellow Overseers! We have an orichalcum opportunity here! These heroic Chosen have proven the Din can be defeated in the field. With the stone and our combined forces we could defeat the Din and send the King a resounding messa-"

The rest of the council erupts into objections, each seated at a separate stone desk arrayed around a circular shaft that runs deep into the earth. On the rare occasions in which the chamber has been silent since you arrived you could almost swear you heard breathing from the depths. The small bowls of perfumed water are clearly there to mask the dank and foetid smell of the air rising from that shaft. The chamber is lit by small luminous orbs whose light waxes and wanes regularly as they float about the room. Some sort of spirits maybe? These people seem extremely averse to open flames of any kind.

Instead of a desk with an Overseer, the position around the shaft closest to you and the entrance is occupied by a large circular stone table on which is carved an intricate topographical map of the area, with small wooden pieces representing armies. You can see the Din forces are spread out into five groups, four heading towards different outlying settlements and the fifth now a small distance away from Kabir. There are freshly carved pieces to represent you and the Red Arms placed beside the city. The defences of the outlying settlements is clearly much weaker than Kabir. You don't anticipate they'll fare well if left unsupported.

While they're squabbling Adjo leans over, "The hearthstone stabilizes the earth. Invaluable for excavating new tunnels. Also seems to prevent the Din from being able to swim through or manipulate the earth. Very precious."

Overseer Rizal finally manages to cut through the clamor by shouting at the top of her lungs, impressively loud for a woman so slight, seeming to almost drown in her heavy voluminous robes, "Overseer Lualhati, this is an orichalcum opportunity for you to return the tribute you are concealing from this council! These outsiders have paid in blood to save us from your selfish mistakes, and now you ask them to pay more? You shame us all."

Overseer Vaktri slams the rune-scribed hardened clay fist of his left hand down onto his table to pre-empt the outcry sure to follow, "Regardless of whether the tribute is found and returned, we have a perfectly serviceable set of defensive emplacements right here. We should hold here, gather reinforcements, hire mercenaries if necessary, and engage the King, whether in diplomacy or battle, from a position of strength. To sally against his forces now would risk lives needlessly."

"And what of the lives of the miners outside these walls, Vaktri? If we do not counterattack now, you -" replies Lualhati, trying to keep his tone measured and failing.

"And whose fault is that, Lualhati?" retorts Rizal.

Lualhati turns to Morrolan, "Moon-Chosen, I beseech you to offer your wisdom to this council. Surely we cannot permit the tyranny of the Eight-Forged King to continue, nor leave these people to their fate?"

Renna's Limit Trigger trips again - that one's nasty. You could force Lualhati to give up his son and the princess. This would sacrifice an innocent, but likely let you negotiate peace, not only saving the outlying settlements and avoiding any further casualties amongst the Red arms and the Hisari of Kabir, but opening the mines as soon as possible, giving you more money and making your employers very happy. Since your limit trigger is simply being presented with any opportunity to sacrifice an innocent to benefit you, it triggers here. 3 Limit dice.

John & Hazel:

John's transcendent insight has given you a means of navigating to your goal, now you only want for the blessing of the Lady to secure your passage through the jungle. The priests will not intercede on behalf of a pair of ordinary mortals unaffiliated with any powerful organization to petition for a hunt. They aren't in the business of sending the foolish to die pointlessly. They will need to be persuaded you have what it takes to complete a hunt, or you will have to petition the Lady on your own.

Deep grooves have been worn into the side of the Javurwan Heartwood by what must be millenia of almost continuous passage by the huge wooden spiders bearing ironwood platforms of goods and passengers on their backs, rising with creaking limbs through neighbourhoods and branch-orchards filled with thousands of workers rushing to bring in the season's harvest. These tireless elementals form the literal backbone of the city's economy, doing the heavy lifting required to make life in the treetops possible. In return they are regularly honours with lavish festivals throughout the year marked by webs of colourful lanterns strung throughout the eaves and branches.

The higher you rise into the canopy, the less cover there is from the light of the evening sun. The day is catching up with Hazel - you've spent all day up and about instead of sleeping, and you know Erembour won't let you sleep at night. Already you can feel her stirring slightly in your soul, her power waxing as the sun wanes. Still, a cycle of the Sun without sleep is not enough to put someone as tough as Hazel down for the count. What gives you pause is the beautifully manicured moon garden around the temple to the Lady for the Forest, high in the branches of the Heartwood. The canopy has been cleared away here to ensure nothing obstructs the light of the moon, and this has unfortunately left no respite from the sun. You could wait until the sun sets and the flowers of the moon garden bloom to enter, but this could cost you valuable time.

Atusa:

Moswen seems genuinely touched by your concern - it's more regard than one might expect for a political union. "I don't know you very well yet, but so far I like what I see, and I want to see more," she turns her head from where it rests nestled in your shoulder to kiss your cheek. "You're right, though. We have a job to do, and we aren't done. Come on, let's get climbing."

You return to a lower floor to meet up with the others to relay your findings and plan your ascent, made much easier by the rope strung between metal anchors now chiselled into the stone. Matsimela asks a barrage of questions and then wanders off to consult her notes. It takes some juggling, neither Aajej nor Sirocco willing to leave their charges to ascend and ascertain how high you'll be going, finally settled by summoning the blue-flame Djinn Harmattan to make the ascent and report back. She sends word that there are 80 floors above you, and that some sort of stone platform fills the centre of the shaft near the top, anchored in place using the slots carved into the walls that you've been using as handholds. Some of the doors on the upper floors are marked with warnings in both Flametongue and Old Realm indicating the areas are restricted and entry is forbidden.

At this Moswen smiles, "And that's exactly where we're going." She looks at you appraisingly, and not for beauty for once, "I think I'm in better shape than you, so I'll go first in case you need to turn back. Hasani, are you sure you're up for this? We'll stop for a break every ten floors, so it shouldn't be too bad."

Hasani looks indignant, "After you didn't let me see the magic gate and the fields of ice because I'd disturb the dust, then proceeded to knock it all out of place anyway? There's no chance you're keeping me away from this one. I can make the climb."

Moswen rolls her eyes, "It's not going anywhere. You can freeze to death any time you like."

The ascent is difficult, but the ability to open doors periodically along the way for rest stops makes it much easier. You see floors filled with cells for holding prisoners, sealed vaults of unknown purpose, working areas for clerks and administrators, and in one case a floor that was completely empty. Finally you arrive at a sequence of restricted floors, one of which is labelled the armoury. Far below you can see the distant points of light where the others await your return. Moswen reads the passphrase from the Index and the door dissolves into sand and slips aside. You can see a circular outer chamber dominated by an immense lion headed stone statue seated in a throne, impassive ruby eyes reflecting the flickering light of the flames hovering over your shoulder. Time has caused the paint to chip and peel under a thick layer of dust, but the jadesteel of the immense ornately embossed shield and khopesh at its sides still shine brightly. To its right and left sit stone plinths above which hover your prizes, a pair of beautiful White Jade Spheres inlaid with Orichalcum surrounded by spinning rings or Orichalcum, all hovering a small distance above the stone. To each side of these are large doorways into a long hall beyond, in which you can barely make out what appear to be racks of weapons shining in the darkness.

Moswen holds her breath, barely moving for ten seconds before she slowly lets it out. "Fuck. Of course there would be a guardian spirit. There's no way we're getting siege weapons up here any time soon," she whispers softly. She glances down at you, "Can you defeat it?"

Renna listens to the arguing for a while, then sets herself to join the fray by standing up and waiting patiently for the squabbling to cease. Once a relative level of calm has taken over the chamber, she begins to speak. "Overseers, I am a outlander and do not know your ways, so please forgive any unintended insult over my ignorance as I pose a few questions. While it is possible to face the King in open battle and win, there are too many small communities for the forces gathered here to be able to protect with what I see laid before me. If battle is the only option, I would suggest we focus on dealing a blow against this King himself. There is an old saying, 'cut the head off of a snake, and the body dies'. With their leader taken out, the rest of the Din should be less of a threat."

"But before we commit ourselves to this, I would like to know why this King has chosen to attack your people. Has there been no effort to speak with him? I am a pragmatic leader, and I know that no matter what is done, many of my people will die, and I would avoid that if at all possible. Please, tell me what has sparked this war."

Rolling Limit: 2

Renna & Morrolan:

Vaktri and Rizal share a glance, as if trying to wordlessly determine who draws the short straw. Finally Overseer Vaktri turns back to you, pained, tapping his clay fingers nervously on the desk, "One does not truly negotiate with the mountain, Chosen. The earth itself carries its diktats, and one either complies or weathers its fury. To negotiate is a man trying to move the mountain. So we comply. Every Overseer offers their firstborn child to the mountain when they reach age of majority," his expression is bitter. "They do not return." This is not a hypothetical for him. "Lualhati's son, Dalisay, was given, and all was well until weeks later when the mountain roared. The Eight-Forged King spoke through the earth, demanding the return of both Dalisay and the King's daughter. We have no idea how he escaped, or where-"

Rizal interjects, "Nonsense. We know exactly where the tribute is," she glares pointedly at Lualhati. "I know you conceal it, and in so doing you bring ruin upon us all."

Lualhati gives her the vicious look of a cornered animal, "Nothing in our oaths demands we return the tribute if it escapes."

Rizal snorts, "Legalistic nonsense. The King demands tribute, he does not have it, and we all pay the price."

Lualhati turns a bright shade of red and all but explodes, "This is not justice! It's sick! The Sassarin have sent us Chosen - they could scarcely have sent a stronger endorsement of ending this travesty once and for all." The chamber erupts into outraged cries and yelled insults.

Vaktri looks livid, "It becomes an injustice when your son is on the line, Lualhati? What was it when my boy went? And now for your 'justice' I have nearly lost a second son, wounded in the breach!"

Moswen seems genuinely touched by your concern - it's more regard than one might expect for a political union. "I don't know you very well yet, but so far I like what I see, and I want to see more," she turns her head from where it rests nestled in your shoulder to kiss your cheek. "You're right, though. We have a job to do, and we aren't done. Come on, let's get climbing."

You return to a lower floor to meet up with the others to relay your findings and plan your ascent, made much easier by the rope strung between metal anchors now chiselled into the stone. Matsimela asks a barrage of questions and then wanders off to consult her notes. It takes some juggling, neither Aajej nor Sirocco willing to leave their charges to ascend and ascertain how high you'll be going, finally settled by summoning the blue-flame Djinn Harmattan to make the ascent and report back. She sends word that there are 80 floors above you, and that some sort of stone platform fills the centre of the shaft near the top, anchored in place using the slots carved into the walls that you've been using as handholds. Some of the doors on the upper floors are marked with warnings in both Flametongue and Old Realm indicating the areas are restricted and entry is forbidden.

At this Moswen smiles, "And that's exactly where we're going." She looks at you appraisingly, and not for beauty for once, "I think I'm in better shape than you, so I'll go first in case you need to turn back. Hasani, are you sure you're up for this? We'll stop for a break every ten floors, so it shouldn't be too bad."

Hasani looks indignant, "After you didn't let me see the magic gate and the fields of ice because I'd disturb the dust, then proceeded to knock it all out of place anyway? There's no chance you're keeping me away from this one. I can make the climb."

Moswen rolls her eyes, "It's not going anywhere. You can freeze to death any time you like."

The ascent is difficult, but the ability to open doors periodically along the way for rest stops makes it much easier. You see floors filled with cells for holding prisoners, sealed vaults of unknown purpose, working areas for clerks and administrators, and in one case a floor that was completely empty. Finally you arrive at a sequence of restricted floors, one of which is labelled the armoury. Far below you can see the distant points of light where the others await your return. Moswen reads the passphrase from the Index and the door dissolves into sand and slips aside. You can see a circular outer chamber dominated by an immense lion headed stone statue seated in a throne, impassive ruby eyes reflecting the flickering light of the flames hovering over your shoulder. Time has caused the paint to chip and peel under a thick layer of dust, but the jadesteel of the immense ornately embossed shield and khopesh at its sides still shine brightly. To its right and left sit stone plinths above which hover your prizes, a pair of beautiful White Jade Spheres inlaid with Orichalcum surrounded by spinning rings or Orichalcum, all hovering a small distance above the stone. To each side of these are large doorways into a long hall beyond, in which you can barely make out what appear to be racks of weapons shining in the darkness.

Moswen holds her breath, barely moving for ten seconds before she slowly lets it out. "Fuck. Of course there would be a guardian spirit. There's no way we're getting siege weapons up here any time soon," she whispers softly. She glances down at you, "Can you defeat it?"

Atusa didn't mind Moswen taking the lead. It certainly gave her a good excuse to direct her gaze in the vicinity of the other woman's backside. When they reached the armory, she took a moment to look around in awe at the place, before directing her attention to the lion-headed statue. She guessed that it was the guardian spirit Moswen referred to.

"I imagine so." she replied in a whisper to Moswen's question. "It's the statue sat on the throne, yes? Or is that just a decoy?" she asked, recalling a trap she'd encountered a few months back.

Assuming the statue on the throne WAS the guardian spirit, Atusa would slowly approach it, without drawing her daiklaves.

Atusa:

Essence: 4; Willpower: 6; Join Battle: 9 dice Health Levels: -0x4/-1x4/-2x2/-4x2/Incap.
Personal Motes: 90
Actions: Appear Inanimate: 10 dice; Knowledge of Ea-Abzean Law: 10 dice; Ministry of Law Bureaucracy: 7 dice; Command: 6 dice; Feats of Strength: 14 dice (may attempt Strength 8 feats); Threaten: 7 dice
Appearance 3, Resolve 5 (see Automaton), Guile 4

Combat
Attack (Slashing sword): 14 dice (Damage 18, minimum 2)
Attack (Unarmed): 16 dice (Damage 15)
Attack (Grapple): 10 dice (14 dice to control)
Combat Movement: 6 dice
Evasion 1, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 14/7

Special Attacks
Colossus Strike: The automaton may make a powerful but slow-moving blow, devastating enemies but leaving itself vulnerable to attack. It may double 9s on a decisive attack, but takes a -2 penalty to Defense until its next turn.

Criminal Cowing Mien (Reflexive, 10m, 1wp): Upon rolling Join Battle, the Intransigent Pillar of Law may make an intimidate roll against all criminals present, penalizing their Resolve by the severity of their crimes. (-4 Defining infraction down to -2 for a Minor). If it succeeds, it strips initiative equal to the net successes (which is not awarded to Ragalabash), and they suffer a -2 penalty to all attempts to resist arrest unless they pay 1 wp to resist.

By Law Empowered: When enforcing the law, the Intransigent Pillar of Law may buy successes for 2m each, up to a limit based on the severity of the law it is enforcing. (4 successes for a Defining infraction down to 2 for a Minor)

Banish the Offender (Supplemental, Dual, 5m): The Intransigent Pillar of Law may trade points of damage for up to 3 range bands of knockback. For withering attacks, this trade is made at a 4:1 ratio, and can only be used if the damage is at least twice the victim's Stamina. For decisive attacks, this trade is made at 2:1 ratio. If the victim would strike a solid surface they take damage as if from falling.

Principle of Motion (10m, 1wp; Reflexive; Instant; Essence 2): The Intransigent Pillar of Law moves with blinding speed, taking a flurry without the usual restrictions—it can flurry two of the same action if desired, and it ignores the usual penalties to dice pools and Defense.

Merits
Automaton: Automatons are immune to poison and disease, and have no need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. As a general rule, they treat all social influence as unacceptable, unless following the orders of their master or faced with magic such as the Dawn Caste anima power. Automaton battle groups have perfect morale. Independent sapient automata, such as the statue of Tahaki Shant, are exceptions, but usually remain immune to fear.

Your question is answered almost immediately as you step into the chamber. The ruby eyes of the statue shine with a fiery inner light as neck bends with a terrible grinding sound to look at you in a cascade of dust. It's mouth doesn't move, but its voice is thunderous and reverberates throughout the hall, "CRIMINAL. YOUR CRIMES ARE MANY AND GRAVE. YOU WILL BE ARRESTED. SUBMIT, OR BE SUBDUED." Stone grinds on stone as it slowly, haltingly rises to its full six metre height, dust streaming off with its every movement.

Sirocco materializes beside you, taking a step forward to interpose herself between you and the statue.

[If you'd like to resist arrest, Join Battle.]

Morrolan raises up an eyebrow. All of this, over just one person? Holy crap. I've heard of spirits being very . . . particular . . . over the oaths made to them, but this? "So, not only has the 'tribute' escaped, the King now wants an additional one? Is there no provisions in the accords you have with this god to make changes on the deal made with him?" He looks over at Renna, concern etched in his face. "I don't know about you, but I for one do not like the idea of sacrificing even a single soul that doesn't want to go willingly."

Atusa:

Essence: 4; Willpower: 6; Join Battle: 9 dice Health Levels: -0x4/-1x4/-2x2/-4x2/Incap.
Personal Motes: 90
Actions: Appear Inanimate: 10 dice; Knowledge of Ea-Abzean Law: 10 dice; Ministry of Law Bureaucracy: 7 dice; Command: 6 dice; Feats of Strength: 14 dice (may attempt Strength 8 feats); Threaten: 7 dice
Appearance 3, Resolve 5 (see Automaton), Guile 4

Combat
Attack (Slashing sword): 14 dice (Damage 18, minimum 2)
Attack (Unarmed): 16 dice (Damage 15)
Attack (Grapple): 10 dice (14 dice to control)
Combat Movement: 6 dice
Evasion 1, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 14/7

Special Attacks
Colossus Strike: The automaton may make a powerful but slow-moving blow, devastating enemies but leaving itself vulnerable to attack. It may double 9s on a decisive attack, but takes a -2 penalty to Defense until its next turn.

Criminal Cowing Mien (Reflexive, 10m, 1wp): Upon rolling Join Battle, the Intransigent Pillar of Law may make an intimidate roll against all criminals present, penalizing their Resolve by the severity of their crimes. (-4 Defining infraction down to -2 for a Minor). If it succeeds, it strips initiative equal to the net successes (which is not awarded to Ragalabash), and they suffer a -2 penalty to all attempts to resist arrest unless they pay 1 wp to resist.

By Law Empowered: When enforcing the law, the Intransigent Pillar of Law may buy successes for 2m each, up to a limit based on the severity of the law it is enforcing. (4 successes for a Defining infraction down to 2 for a Minor)

Banish the Offender (Supplemental, Dual, 5m): The Intransigent Pillar of Law may trade points of damage for up to 3 range bands of knockback. For withering attacks, this trade is made at a 4:1 ratio, and can only be used if the damage is at least twice the victim's Stamina. For decisive attacks, this trade is made at 2:1 ratio. If the victim would strike a solid surface they take damage as if from falling.

Principle of Motion (10m, 1wp; Reflexive; Instant; Essence 2): The Intransigent Pillar of Law moves with blinding speed, taking a flurry without the usual restrictions—it can flurry two of the same action if desired, and it ignores the usual penalties to dice pools and Defense.

Merits
Automaton: Automatons are immune to poison and disease, and have no need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. As a general rule, they treat all social influence as unacceptable, unless following the orders of their master or faced with magic such as the Dawn Caste anima power. Automaton battle groups have perfect morale. Independent sapient automata, such as the statue of Tahaki Shant, are exceptions, but usually remain immune to fear.

Your question is answered almost immediately as you step into the chamber. The ruby eyes of the statue shine with a fiery inner light as neck bends with a terrible grinding sound to look at you in a cascade of dust. It's mouth doesn't move, but its voice is thunderous and reverberates throughout the hall, "CRIMINAL. YOUR CRIMES ARE MANY AND GRAVE. YOU WILL BE ARRESTED. SUBMIT, OR BE SUBDUED." Stone grinds on stone as it slowly, haltingly rises to its full six metre height, dust streaming off with its every movement.

Sirocco materializes beside you, taking a step forward to interpose herself between you and the statue.

[If you'd like to resist arrest, Join Battle.]

Atusa grimaced as the statue rose and addressed her, swiftly drawing both of her daiklaves.

"I am Atusa Hematti, Chosen and Champion of the Unconquered Sun." she declared to the statue. "By the authority granted to me thus, I demand that you recognize me, and tell me what I am charged with!"

As if to emphasize her claim of having the Unconquered Sun's authority, she channeled her Essence into her voice, deliberately allowing her caste mark to shine upon her forehead.

[Rolling Charisma + Presence while spending 5m Peripheral Essence on my Presence Excellency and claiming a one-point stunt, giving me 16 dice. Also rolling Join Battle for 5 dice, spending 8m Personal Essence on Naked Fang Draw and my Awareness Excellency, giving me 10 dice and two automatic successes with a one-point stunt.

Note: Atusa doesn't know that the Automaton Merit is a thing, but she and I are both assuming - or rather, hoping - that she can use her Solar status to get Raglabash to defer to her on certain matters, assuming of course that this place was created prior to the Shogunate. If nothing else, she's at least hoping that somewhere down the line, Raglabash's master gave instructions to be at least somewhat willing to listen to reason.

5 successes on Charisma + Presence roll, 6 5 on Join Battle roll. Not going to try and shift successes into Offhand charge yet.

Edit: Just remembered that Atusa has a -1 wound penalty. Disregard the last dice on each of the two rolls.]

Anima: Glowing

Personal Essence: 1/13
Peripheral Essence: 23/33
Committed Essence: 5
Willpower: 5/5
Offhand Charge: 0/7

Evasion 4, Parry 5

Renna & Morrolan:

Rizal scowls and Lualhati relaxes ever so slightly, cautiously allowing a small smile of hope as you voice your support for keeping his son Dalisay out of the King's clutches.

Vaktri shakes his head, "We have no way to communicate with the Eight-Forged King. He never leaves his Fortress-Manse, and we like it that way. He permits no visitors. We did not even know he had a daughter until he demanded her return. The boy must have escaped with her somehow."

Rizal turns her scowl on Lualhati, "There would be no 'somehow' if he would just hand the boy over for questioning."

Atusa:

The statue pauses at this, "YOU ARE NOT A CITIZEN, BUT YOU ARE AFFORDED THE RIGHT TO HEAR THE CHARGES AGAINST YOU, CRIMINAL. YOU ARE CHARGED WITH SEVENT- EIGHTEEN COUNTS OF THE FIRST DEGREE CRIME OF DRAWING BREATH, ONE COUNT OF THE THIRD DEGREE CRIME OF TRESPASS IN A SECURE STATE VAULT, AND ONE COUNT OF THE SEVENTH DEGREE CRIME OF UNLAWFUL TRANSIT TO THE UNDERWORLD WITHOUT A PERMIT." Having discharged its obligation to you it begins its advance. You feel its thunderous footfalls as much as you hear them echoing through the hall, each kicking up a cloud of dust on impact. "SUBMIT" it demands, and this word bears the great and terrible weight of your crimes. It falls over you like a blow that nearly brings you to your knees, like chains of essence that slow your every movement, pulling you inexorably towards the ground.

Rolling JB with 9 dice, spending 8m on By Law Empowered to buy 4 successes, and activating Criminal Cowing Mien for 10m 1wp. As 'Drawing Breath' is a First Degree crime, it penalizes your Resolve by 4. You can stunt/Charm/leverage as appropriate to boost it. Ragalabash will roll 7 dice against your final Resolve.

Sirocco is rolling 8 dice for JB.

Ragalabash: 12i
Sirocco: 9i
Atusa: 8i

Last edited:
Renna & Morrolan:

Rizal scowls and Lualhati relaxes ever so slightly, cautiously allowing a small smile of hope as you voice your support for keeping his son Dalisay out of the King's clutches.

Vaktri shakes his head, "We have no way to communicate with the Eight-Forged King. He never leaves his Fortress-Manse, and we like it that way. He permits no visitors. We did not even know he had a daughter until he demanded her return. The boy must have escaped with her somehow."

Rizal turns her scowl on Lualhati, "There would be no 'somehow' if he would just hand the boy over for questioning."
Renna looks over at Lualhati, and says, "I agree. We must hear from the boy to know his side of the story before we can move forward. I have a feeling that the daughter of the King helped your son escape, and she can also provide much needed information for us to be able to make an informed decision. You must have them both brought forth." The tone she gives is not hostile, but she will brook no disagreement.

Atusa had to struggle to not flinch when the statue commanded her to submit, calling upon yet more of her Essence to try and bolster her resolve. She wondered if this was how other people felt when she made demands of them.

She had a grim feeling that she was in for a harder fight against this guardian than anticipated.

[Spending 4m Peripheral Essence and claiming one-point stunt to boost Resolve by 3.]

Anima: Glowing

Personal Essence: 1/13
Peripheral Essence: 19/33
Committed Essence: 5
Willpower: 5/5
Offhand Charge: 0/7

Evasion 4, Parry 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back