• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice [Exalted] O Brave New World (OOC)

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I Got New Rules, I Count 'Em

Random Word

Three Thousand Club
For plotting, scheming, coordinating, and general shenanigans.

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Rykon Rykon jaydude jaydude D. Rex D. Rex Look at me, I figured out how to post threads. For this monumental feat I award myself at least... 12 XP.

Stunts will largely be adjudicated collectively. Everyone here is a great writer and roleplayer, so you can adjudicate your own minor stunts. If it adds to the scene, reveals something about your character, or adds to the setting it's an obvious shoe-in for a minor stunt. The point of stunts is to reward play that the whole table enjoys, and the forum affords us an easy mechanism for adjudicating that. Four cookies or greater on your post (For this purpose hearts, brushes, and paintings are greater than cookies. 4 because it's 2/3rds of a possible 6 participants.) gets your stunt elevated to Major, and four hearts or equivalent gets your stunt elevated to Defining. I reserve the right to hand out a Major or Defining stunt regardless of the reactions, mostly for dramatic or daring actions done in furtherance of Defining intimacies.

In combat posts can come more quickly than people can read and react to them, so I may end up adjudicating stunts by fiat more often in combat.
How will experience work, you ask? No? You don't ask that at all because you assume I'll be handing it out? Wrong! That great and terrible responsibility falls to you. Experience comes in three flavours:
  • Bounties on narrative goals. You can accept example goals I toss out, or propose your own. This is the 'main plot'. (3 Regular XP per obstacle overcome)
  • Awards you give each other for helping to satisfy your Flags. These you set. This is your character's personal arc. (2 Special XP per award)
  • Accepting Compels proposed by others. (2 Special XP per Compel accepted)
I'm going to borrow Aspects and Compels from Fate because I think Compels are a fun way for anyone to get involved in any scene, and a good driver of tension and drama. Aspects distill your character down into a few short descriptors for other mechanics to hang off of. There are lots of those mechanics in Fate, but of them only Compels are something I think Exalted is missing. Explicitly defining your Aspects make coming up with Compels a bit easier for others - you're outlining where you want the complications and drama in your character's life to come from. In Fate these Aspects are also where you derive your strength, but I'm uncertain how that could apply to Exalted. Possibly something improving the effect of spending WP if you Invoke one of your Aspects, like Virtue Channels in 2e.

Each character has 5 Aspects and you can change them any time your character changes, just like your intimacies. You can discover NPC Aspects in the same way you discover Intimacies.

Asuna might be:
  • Princess of Masks and Lies
  • Compulsive Liar
  • Lazy Hedonist
  • Strategic Prodigy
  • Sucker for a Pretty Face
Maja might be:
  • Peerless Explorer
  • Thrillseeker
  • Will Not be Chained
  • Playful Trickster
  • Wracked with Self Doubt
You are the Sidereals now. Fate Points are a reward you can get for accepting Compels or an award others can give you for helping them achieve their Flags, and can be spent for a few different things:
  • Like a free Declare Fact but also covering unlikely coincidences or events that could possibly transpire.
  • Compelling an NPC in accordance with one of their Aspects.
  • Declaring a flashback scene where you describe how you made preparations that would help you out in overcoming an obstacle.
  • Avoiding death. Typically this takes the form of someone or something arriving to intervene and save you in just the nick of time.
For example, when fighting someone with the Aspect 'Invincible Sword Princess' you could spend a Fate Point to Compel the Aspect, declaring that her reputation precedes her and she's constantly dogged by challengers for her title of finest swordswoman in the South. It's unfortunate, but of course just as she was about to run you through one of those challengers shows up demanding to duel her right now and won't take no for an answer.

Fate Points can't negate or trivialize obstacles, but they can make your attempts to overcome them much more effective. Examples:

When trying to sow discord in the government of the city of Beit Alaha you could declare there was an ongoing rivalry between the Suzerain Feisal Hetshepsut and General Askari Hetshepsut. Feisal was appointed Suzerain by the Ur-Pharoah, but Askari was the first living soldier across the walls when the city was seized and has always firmly believed the city was his by rights. All they'd need is a little push to be at each other's throats...

When trying to court Sassarin support for a revolution you could declare the Sorcerer-Prince Ezmera al-Kimyai was captured when the city was seized and has been imprisoned in a tower ever since. If you could free her she would likely lend both her own personal might and her many political connections to your cause...

Have fun with them and write the story you want to read.
Flags are scenes you want your character to experience and events you want to see come to pass. Think of them as how you define your personal character arc. They can be very specific or very general, but it's always up to you to decide when they're satisfied. They're not guaranteed to happen, but fate will bend over backwards to give you opportunities to fulfill them, and in general I won't bother to set up any scene that doesn't either directly further a narrative goal you've chosen to fulfill, set up one of your Flags, or explore the consequences of your actions. Flags should generally specify situations rather than outcomes - outcomes are less certain than situations, but they'll still get a nudge from fate. Examples of flags:
  • I want to find out exactly how far my character is willing to go to fulfill their goal of abolishing slavery.
  • I want an establishing scene that sets up how much of a badass my character is (tavern brawl, bandit raid, extortion attempt, etc).
  • I want an establishing scene that sets up my character as a trusted and respected mediator of disputes in the community.
  • I want my character's belief that all Anathema are baby-eating monsters to be challenged.
  • I want someone to threaten my character's sister so I can drop everything and go berserk on them.
  • I want my character to be captured by the enemy, learn something important, and escape or be rescued by allies.
  • I want my character to have a chance to show off their incredible dance skills. It doesn't have to be a dance-off with a Deathlord, but I wouldn't say no.
  • I want my character to duel their nemesis over a waterfall, and have one of them fall dramatically to their 'death'.
  • I want my character to have dinner with their magnificent bastard affably evil nemesis and play you know I know you know I know over fine wine.
  • I want my character to meet their Abyssal Mate Husbando, get off on the wrong foot, cut that sexual tension with a Daiklave, and hate-flirt-fight until dramatically interrupted and they have to retreat.
  • I want my character to discover an important secret about NPC X.
  • etc etc etc
How does this relate to experience? If you judge one of your flags is satisfied then you can optionally nominate any other character who you decide significantly helped you reach that scene, or made the scene more fun for you, and award them their choice of 2 of their flavour of special XP or a Fate Point. This is entirely at your discretion, and helping you doesn't necessarily mean helping your character. If you have a Flag about wanting to fight to defend the ramparts of your city and another player obligingly brings an army to your gates that may be exactly what you wanted. It's presumed that you chose flags that are fun for you, and thus for you satisfying them is its own reward. Let everyone know when your Flags change so they and I can help fulfill them.

Again using Asuna and Maja as examples:
  • I want a scene where Asuna plans and executes an important operation without anyone realizing she's behind it.
  • I want a scene where Asuna confronts Manato about the dangers of his plan.
  • I want a scene where Asuna learns more about Satori.
  • I want Asuna's supreme confidence in her ability to manipulate people to take a serious blow when she gets steamrolled by a social Celestial. Intellectually she knows Anathema are scary but she doesn't viscerally understand it's a lot more than their ability to stab you really well. Inability to read someone else, or worse, being made to care about someone else when she doesn't know if they care about her, will really do a number on her, and possibly inspire some self reflection on her abusive behaviour. Or just make her really angry.
  • I want Asuna to demonstrate her value by learning something important about one or more of the Anathema leading the invasion. Through her spy network, by personally joining the refugee stream to spy on the enemy camp, by being captured by the enemy, etc.
  • I want someone to try to capture Asuna so she can exploit her carefully cultivated reputation for being personally nonthreatening to try (and quite possibly fail) to turn the tables by surprising them with White Veil and poison to capture them in turn.
  • If one or more Hearthmates are killed and the city falls, I want Asuna to become the Batman terrorizing the regime in the night.
  • etc
  • I want Maja to have a scene where she goes berserk and is horrified by the consequences, then someone comforts her or helps her come to terms with it.
  • I want Maja to have a cute romantic scene with Kuiadao.
  • I want a scene where Maja's rage at the Realm from her last incarnation conflicts with her empathy and fear of killing.
  • I want Maja to have someone help her come to terms with her Exaltation. (Temple of one of Luna's aspects? Shahan-Ya? Something else?)
  • I want Maja to have a scene where someone teaches her to act like a proper Dynast.
  • I want Maja to have a scene where she tricks a group of people into thinking she's an easy mark, then learns to play - and cheat at - games of chance to take them for everything they have.
  • I want Maja to have a scene where she learns to pickpocket by making a game/competition out of it with someone else.
  • I want Maja to participate in a con with someone else.
  • I want Maja to lead an expedition to find an important lost site and recover something of significant value either to her people or Kuiadao.
  • etc
I think Limit is largely a failure as a mechanic for driving drama and tension in Exalted 2e/3e, as the Storyteller often has to push really hard to get players to significantly violate their intimacies, or aggressively push NPC social influence to generate consequential amounts of Limit, and Limit Breaks themselves are often too large, nebulous, and narratively cumbersome instead of being fun and dramatic. I went in search of a mechanic that could supplement it and settled on Compels from Fate Core.

At any time anyone can propose a Compel for another character. Compels add a dramatic twist to a situation that will cause problems either immediately or going forward, but they do not directly stymie or undo the successes of other players. They should directly reference some important aspect of the target character (A strong Intimacy, a Limit Trigger, or an explicitly stated Aspect are all good examples), and it's up to the player of that character to decide first if they believe the Compel fits their character and second if they accept or reject the Compel. If they determine the Compel doesn't fit their character by citing an aspect that's at least as strong as the one used to support the Compel there's no cost to decline - it simply doesn't fit the character they envisioned. If the Compel fits, then accepting yields 2 Special XP and either a Fate Point or a WP and the Compel comes to pass. To decline they must spend a Willpower or a Fate Point, and they gain three dice of Limit. For example:
  • You succeed at winning over the King with your display of hunting prowess and your victory in the impromptu drinking competition you started, but you were 'Raised by Wolves', so unfortunately you do it at the expense of several powerful members of his court who you humiliated and made off-colour jokes about. The King ate it up, but you've made some powerful enemies today.
  • You pick the lock and escape, but you 'Love the Finer Things in Life' and you can't resist going back for that jewelled sculpture. Now the guards are hot on your heels, and one of them got a good look at you.
  • You've subdued your nemesis and secured the gem with the temple collapsing around you, but you're a 'True Hero' and you believe 'Everyone Deserves a Second Chance' so you can't just leave them there where they might die. You'll have to take them with you.
  • You're a 'Lovable Rogue', so it's unfortunate but of course just as you're about to get the city god to buy into your latest con one of your old partners shows up looking to get back at you for that time you had a little bit of difficulty splitting the loot.
You can retroactively request a Self-Compel if you realize you've roleplayed yourself into a sticky situation by playing one of your character's Aspects or powerful Intimacies to the hilt. If approved you get the rewards as normal.
Major narrative goals will require a certain set of obstacles be overcome, and overcoming obstacles will give everyone 3 regular XP, regardless of whether they contributed or even which side they're on. I'll post some possible goals with some mix of obvious and to-be-discovered obstacles, but you can also propose a major narrative goal. We can work together on the obstacles for your goal. Each obstacle will require a certain number of points to overcome, and how you score those points is up to you. Any player can propose how they want to make progress towards overcoming an obstacle, and I'll tell you how impactful and risky the proposal is. The more impactful the more points it will accumulate towards overcoming the obstacle. The riskier it is the graver the consequences for failure - or in some cases even for success. You can always call for a scene where you investigate one of the mystery obstacles to try to discover it.

Example Goal: Start a revolution in the city of Beit Alaha against the Ur-Pharoah's appointed Suzerain.
  1. The Legions in the fields.
  2. Legitimize the coup.
  3. The newly established Hetshepsite nobility.
  4. Control of the courthouse, granaries, Suzerain’s palace, Great Chamber, and garrisons.
  5. The Ea-Abzu Sand Navy.
  6. Ea-Abzu military reinforcements from upriver.
  7. The Suzerain’s War Sphinxes.
  8. The Pharaohnic cults and their Vessels.
  9. The local aristocracy.
  10. ???
  11. ???
Sometimes a goal will be actively opposed. NPCs or even other players may be working to overcome obstacles that represent your advantages. In that case it might be a race to see who can fulfill their objectives first, or win a net number of objectives.
Combat in Exalted 3e is big and heavy. I will never call for Join Battle unless there is something significant at stake, but you as a player can roll Join Battle any time you'd like to use the combat system to resolve something. If there's something significant at stake and you find yourself losing you can always Concede. If you Concede you've lost the conflict, the stakes go the way your opponents dictate, but you can dictate how you exit the conflict, and as it isn't a total loss you may be able to inconvenience or mitigate your opponents victory in some way. If you Concede you gain a Fate Point to help you make your comeback.

If the fight doesn't have anything major at stake and you don't want to go full on Join Battle then I may just call for a few Clash attacks or another competitive roll-off to decide who wins. Obviously if it's your Dawn against a handful of mortal thugs you simply narrate how you crush them.
In an effort to reduce deadlock and keep the game flowing, I'll ask that you put either Hold or Pass at the end of any post. Hold indicates you have more you want to accomplish in a scene and don't want events to move forward yet. If you don't have time to write a post or don't have anything your character wants to accomplish or establish in the scene, a post with nothing but Hold (to be filled in later) or Pass is fine. If no one has a Hold on their last post, or everyone has an explicit Pass, I'll assume it's safe to move on to the next major event or scene. If I have a Hold in a post it indicates something narratively significant is still going to happen this scene, so leaving now may cause you to be absent for something important.

Last edited:
Alright. I've got my template up, and I've pulled from my own favorite charms list to build a wishlist I can draw from. The general idea I'm tentatively working with is an artisan scholar. Since I expect Craft to be his major focus, I'll probably end up dabbling in Melee for combat. I've got Bureaucracy and Investigation on the radar as professionally relevant abilities, but if others want to run with those, be my guest.

Hopefully, I can piece together the actual identity of the character after a break.

Posted Hazels complete CS! Done!

Just kidding... just copied her over. Got to rework the CS and reset her to base essence and remove all the goodies she took for granted.

Lol its going to be fun having Hazel get used to not being able to use Many-Pockets Meditation.

Random Word Random Word
Hazel was a wyld mutant with dots of Mutation bought 5 dots of mutations bought with points of permenant limit. Would i be able to use that or would you want to alter the cost or concept of that?

Hey everyone. I've been working on my sheet, and I am almost ready to post my Dawn caste. I just keep on moving points around, trying to make up my mind on what I want to use.

Random Word Random Word In the original PM, you made mention of getting some bonus xp for starting with connections between one another? Is that still an option?

Sherwood Sherwood

Hey! Love your char BTW. Saw some good opportunity for a negative connection between our char!

Renna hates herself some demons and yozi worshippers, right? Well Hazel did up and swallow a Yozi soul, essentially. So how might that effect any relationship they might have?

There would be plenty of reason to see Hazel as untrustworthy, or as nefarious as Neith or Raksi who dabble in dark sorcery. Moreover, Hazel might even attract Yozi cultists given to what Random Word alluded to about her being considered a princess of malfeas (of which I still need to respond to that comment).

Your thoughts?

Psychie Psychie

The negative tie would certainly apply to handsome elephant man too! With a major tie of distrust to sorcerers, it would be hard not to reason it would apply to Hazel as well.

It will take some doing to get Renna to be able to look at Hazel and not see a demon, but it won't be impossible for it to happen.

It will be interesting. Perhaps I should make it a Minor one instead.

That's up to you. I don't mind it. And it might be a good idea to keep it given there are likely plenty of less savory sorcerers around.

Could make for some fun interactions as we figure out how to get them in good terms. We could make use of some of the Compel system Random put forth too.

Besides! There always needs to be a dilf around to keep Hazels lunacy and ambition in check or punch her in the face when she is getting too sassy or unbearable.

It will take some doing to get Renna to be able to look at Hazel and not see a demon, but it won't be impossible for it to happen.
Indeed. Could make for some fun narrative moments, especially considering Hazel is primed to delve further into demon summoning and demon magic. Having that sort of heel could help keep Hazel from losing herself to the temptation of malfean power or from becoming grade S bitch like Raksi when she starts getting power.

I made a slight change to my sheet. I wasn't feeling the Melee Charm set very much, and switched to Martial Arts using Single Point Shining into the Void Style.

Since I expect Craft to be his major focus

Are you cool with the base Craft charmset, or do you want to use a rework? I know it's, uh, contentious, but if you like the core set I'm happy to run with it.

In the original PM, you made mention of getting some bonus xp for starting with connections between one another? Is that still an option?

Yes it is. I'll copy more of the stuff in the PM thread over now.

switched to Martial Arts using Single Point Shining into the Void Style.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Hazel was a wyld mutant with dots of Mutation bought 5 dots of mutations bought with points of permenant limit. Would i be able to use that or would you want to alter the cost or concept of that?

You're going to need to slow down and explain that to me like I'm five. You did what, now?

It will take some doing for anyone to be able to look at Hazel and not see a demon. During the day her shadow is monstrous and occasionally picks up objects. Canny observers will ask themselves, "Mad sorceress who went too far, or Akuma?" The average mortal will just scream demon and either run or back away slowly. She bears a heavy burden. Erembour won't let Hazel sleep at night if she can help it, so Hazel will either be fighting with her every night or sleeping during the day. During the night it's much easier for her to blend in, as Erembour stops messing with her shadow - most of the time, unless she does something that displeases her roommate.

I'll try and get my character sheet up tomorrow.

No rush! Everyone should enjoy any holidays they're celebrating as much as they're able. You don't have to skip New Years just to work on a character.

Are you cool with the base Craft charmset, or do you want to use a rework? I know it's, uh, contentious, but if you like the core set I'm happy to run with it.
I like the idea of crafting more than it's 3E implementation. Characters get 10 favored/caste abilities after all, and I'd prefer the character to be capable of meaningful action in scenes alongside the other PCs to back them up. Is there a particular rework you had in mind? I haven't done much research on homebrew patches to the game.

I didn't have one in mind, but I can round a few up. If you're mostly worried about having five billion dots in various craft abilities, I'm happy to house rule that craft disciplines are Specialties, not Abilities. Does that help?

Edit: Oh, and any Charm that does nothing but mess with Craft Project Slots can be skipped in the tree. No one ever uses those. I've never heard of anyone actually running out of project slots before.

That alone helps a ton. Even to the point where I wouldn't need to take certain charms. I'll probably end up spending a lot of BP on specialties between Lore and Crafts, but that's a small price to pay in comparison to almost 20 XP or 5 BP to pick up a new craft, assuming it wasn't circumvented by a charm and whatever pre-requisites that may have.

You're going to need to slow down and explain that to me like I'm five. You did what, now?

It will take some doing for anyone to be able to look at Hazel and not see a demon. During the day her shadow is monstrous and occasionally picks up objects. Canny observers will ask themselves, "Mad sorceress who went too far, or Akuma?" The average mortal will just scream demon and either run or back away slowly. She bears a heavy burden. Erembour won't let Hazel sleep at night if she can help it, so Hazel will either be fighting with her every night or sleeping during the day. During the night it's much easier for her to blend in, as Erembour stops messing with her shadow - most of the time, unless she does something that displeases her roommate.

Slow down speed for mutant stuffs.

Alrighty.

Narrative:
Hazel original Concept: wyld mutant sorceress.

Hazel hid in the wyld for a while before she was found and recieved the moonsilver tattoos.

During her stint in the wyld, mutations occurred. By the time she was found, she seemed more beastman than human, and was thankfully taken from the wyld before becoming chimera.

Reasoning: A slightly mad mutant sorceress with a talking tail seemed to be more flawed and fun than just a beastman with equivalent form. And it got me closer to limit breaks which I still had yet to see, so figured it would up my chances of seeing a limit break happen in game.

Mechanics:
3e had yet to catch up. There wasn't any section yet for wyld effects and mutations for 3e. Therefore. I fell back and looked into 2e regarding wyld mutations, chimerism, and lunars. So with the permission of the Storyteller I used some of that.

Which. In 2e, when a lunar was in the path of becoming a chimera. If I remember correctly. For every dot of mutation they received from the wyld, the cost was filling a dot of Limit permanently. So thusly with mutations picked out for the form I intended her to have, I marked off the limit accordingly. Leaving her with 5 empty limit dots rather than 10.

Where you come in:
Knowing that she incorporated out of book standards for certain aspects of her, I am not about to assume that I can do so again. So I come to you to see how you would like me to resolve this issue.

Now, I got 5bp tucked away right now for 5dots of mutations should you wish the simple road of just buying the merits that way.

I could reason she has now a human form. For example. The the ritual to contain erembour had additional effects, such as fixing her mutations or taking on Erembours human visage as her in.

Or perhaps, you have another way you would like me to handle this or would like me to scrap that aspect of her entirely. I am opened minded for whatever change you would like me to make.

So you spent five permanent Limit and bought a prehensile tail, one point of soak, and the ability to jump higher? That's a devil's bargain, but never let it be said I denied a player something flavourful so we could have less drama. If you're sure you want to pay a price that high, I'll approve it. I will leave you the option to buy off those points of Limit with XP later (same price as the mutation dots) if you come to regret your choices.

So you spent five permanent Limit and bought a prehensile tail, one point of soak, and the ability to jump higher? That's a devil's bargain, but never let it be said I denied a player something flavourful so we could have less drama. If you're sure you want to pay a price that high, I'll approve it. I will leave you the option to buy off those points of Limit with XP later (same price as the mutation dots) if you come to regret your choices.

A devils bargain seems oddly appropriate the way things are for her now.

Lol I actually just bought it for the flavor rather with the bonuses as an after thought at best.

And I didn't buy a prehensile tail. I bought a tail with a talking mouth.

As for the price, well I certainly would not be against getting more for my dollar if you know what I mean and if you have any ideas. Otherwise I got no problems making Hazel suffer for my own amusement.

More than stepping out of character creation with a Third Circle Demon as an Ally? It never hurts to ask for more, but that's some pretty sweet value for money. Excellent use of the principle of asking for forgiveness rather than permission.

Regardless of where it ends, I was hoping for an arc of studying Hazel's condition in search of treatments. Both in terms of the mutations and the bound Erembor. I suspect that Erembor would have to be dealt with first though.

Out of character, my thought has been that the moonsilver tattoos only nullify exterior forces from changing the Lunar's shape, but not interior ones. In simple terms, the solution would be some sort of ritual or quest to unlock either a new shapeshifting charm or perhaps even an evocation of the tattoos themselves to flush out Wyld influence. Though I suspect a Lunar might prefer digesting and consuming it to fuel yet another new power rather than leaving them on the ground like droppings woven of dreams and nightmares.

Given the significance of that sort of development, it would have to be a difficult hurdle to overcome. Were something like that attempted while the Demon was still present the results would likely be most unfortunate. Probably akin to handing Sauron his ring back if a roll went poorly enough.

On the note of narrative hooks, we all still need to add Aspects for compels and tags with Fate points and Flags for gaining XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back