• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Novama

One Thousand Club
Mentions: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars EMIYAman EMIYAman
Intro

This chapter in Isekai Hell history follows a novice Baron Linneus Light of the Light Barony in the country of Ryke and his quest to protect his domain from a hostile threat. To aid in the endeavor, he has purchased additional fighting power from the Adventurers Guild of Ryke. Of those recruited this way, Michael, a new member to the guild answered the callout. Further enhancing the army's numbers, factionless sell swords were also bought. Among their number, the peculiar Artimaya could be found with a large suit of armor always at her side.

The threat the barony faced came from the forests to the south. Heightened demon activity had been reported by scouts. The Baron had limited time to prepare. It was predicted an attack was eminent. Past raids were typically for resources and territory: food, land, magic supplies. The humanoids that occupy the land were sometimes be made into slave labor or food, but they were traditionally killed on the spot. If Linneus and his allies failed in this endeavor to protect his territory, it would be possible for him to be stripped of his authority by the Count over him. The hired hands were risking life and limb and for their troubles, they would be paid hansomely in Rykes. Those that distinguished themselves in battle or some other meritous activity could expect more rewards and prestige.

It was still the early months of the year, but an early spring was predicted in Ryke. The snow was mostly melted, which flattened the land, but was soggy in several areas. It was ideal weather to go to war in, but the terrain could prove treacherous in that it made footing uncertain. The weather was cold but comfortable with properly bundling and/or some layers of armor. The exertion of fighting would keep the men more than warm enough when the time came. Morale was relatively high. No deaths were reported, the numbers of the military were sufficiently high, the rewards were promising, and forest demons weren't particularly scary once they left the forest for the more rocky and settled terrain of the Barony.

The story will begin with all characters at the main castle/manor of the Barony and home of the Baron Linneus. The fighting men will be starting down in the training yard getting outfitted and sorted into manageable groups. Some instruction may be provided for how to fight forest demons or how to operate in groups rather than a horde of individuals. All will be awaiting directions from the Baron on how and when to move out. The Baron will likely begin with a war consultation with his men to determine best course of action and then start giving orders to move out.

876d13c0f8f73c2c7acbf62a9d8b3997.jpg

Linneus Light

cbf6c9dea31108ee1b0ddcf072dc81c8.jpg

Novama Novama EMIYAman EMIYAman

So little time had been available to prepare for the coming threat and now there was even less time to finalize plans and make their move. Linneus hated war. From a merchant's point of view it was costly and from a mortal's point of view it was risky. Yet people had com to aid his soldiers in protecting the realm and he could not be more grateful for their bravery and swords.

In the keep, Linneus stood among his generals and leaders of the mercenary bands who had come to assist them. He tried to listen to them discuss war tactics and debate strategy, but he had very little knowledge of the terms that they used or the methods that they brought up. His eyes drifted to Alanna who stood beside him at the war table and he noticed how she seemed totally focused. To be expected of the leader of his personal guard.

"It is nearly time for us to move out, we cannot spend too much time on this discussion." Linneus finally spoke up and there was a somewhat irritated expression on his face. "I trust you all to make the best decisions in the field and to do whatever it takes to protect the innocent people we'll be leaving behind." He placed his right index finger on the map laid out before them and dragged it forward, then brought it back to their current position and dragged it forward two more times.

"I think we should split the army up into three groups. We can try to break up the demon horde and make fighting them easier, or attempt to box them in once they've entered the open fields outside the forest." His eyes went upward to the others at the table and he looked to them for responses.

The remainder of Linneus' guard contingent were down in the yard, ensuring that the outsiders found armor and weapons if they didn't have any of their own.

The Adventures of Cheems
Cheems was a happy. He found himself work with many others like him. Some worked for the coin, while others worked for the glory. Cheems worked for both, but he also was in search of a master he could serve. Hearing of the Light Barony, Cheems hoped that they would be good masters to serve. He would find out during this mission.

Cheems wasn't in the discussion hall where planning was taking place. Like the other hired mercenaries, he was in the courtyard getting fit with amror and gear.

"Henloo frens. Az u can c, am gud. I came with mai own armor an weaponz" Cheems told the attendants and soldiers that approached him. Holding out his helmet and spear, he showed off his equipement. Having that many people around him just made him more happy. His tongue peeked out of his mouth and his tail wagged from side to side.

"I haz a question tho. Wut can u say about teh Light Baronry? I've only heard gud thingz about them. I hope they're true." Cheems never was the type to go around in circles when he spoke. He was direct and straight to the point. Maybe even to a fault. Nothing he can do about it. He was raised that way.

Artimaya Synthro

07e239835edc285a856635ce5624403b.jpg

To be honest, it was rather interesting how quickly she managed to find work. Artimaya stood to the side of the courtyard, keeping to herself with her arms folded and a general non-caring look on her face. Some of the other soldiers thought to ask why there was a small girl involved in this operation, but their efforts were immediately silenced by the 9 ft tall suit of armor just standing behind her. They were absolutely baffled as to how such a thing belongs to her. A few of the more seasoned soldiers understood that it was more than it seemed. However, it still prevented anybody from getting too close. She wasn't exactly one for polite conversation anyways.

She took this time to herself to go over the plan. Or at least the thought behind the plan. She wasn't exactly too clear on all of the details, but she understood that she was brought here to do some fighting. She was pretty sure that they didn't invite her because she was well known, but rather because the suit of armor looked intimidating. It was a very powerful suit of armor, but it drew a lot of attention. It also stopped all the attention that it drew, but it was still annoying to see other people just staring.

After a moment of deep thought Artimaya simply sighed, sitting upon a stone bench among the foliage. When she moved, Gigatrix moved to keep close to her. One leg laid over the other, her arms folded as she looked out among the soldiers "This better be something exciting. I know the money's good, but I can't stand being bored." She was mainly talking to herself, but the way she glanced at the armor behind her, it made it seem like she was having a conversation with it. Maybe she was? That armor was the only thing that never really left her, so she didn't mind having a conversation with it.

Last edited:

Linneus' guards made their way around the courtyard in an inconspicuous manner as they approached specific figures in the area. Some of the mercenaries and knights present were asked to be here, handpicked by the lord to aid in this endeavor. There were also many unfamiliar faces however and those people interested Linneus just as much. One such person was seated on a stone bench accompanied by a large armored entity. One of the guards approached her slowly, scared and nervous as to how the entity might react to his presence. "Uh...I'm..." His eyes wandered up the length of the suit of armor and then back down again.

"My Lord, Linneus Light has sent me expressly to offer you permanent uh..." His eyes briefly darted back to the armor and then back to the girl. "...employment. Not as a mercenary but as a swordsman under his banner. There are many details to go over and requirements, but he wanted to put the idea before you so that you had time to consider it."

Across the courtyard another of Linneus' guards approached Cheemus, the canine warrior. It was the first time that he'd ever seen a being such as this and he was not sure how he felt about it, but this was what he was ordered to do. "Pardon me." He greeted with a slight bow of his head. "My Lord Linneus Light has sent me wih an offer for potential employment for you. There are a few requirements and details to ironed out, but he would like for you to take this time to think on it and find him after the battle if you are still interested then."

The Adventures of Cheemus
Mention: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

Cheemus heard, and smelled, the guard that was approaching him. He strangely gave off the scent of cinnamon, but that was not a bad thing.

"Henloo." Cheemus responded with a bow himself.

Hearing the opportunity presented to him made him happy, and it was obvious given the profuse wagging of his white fluffy tail. With his tongue sticking out and his panting becoming more audible, it was clear that Cheemus was considering the offer.

"O, I will certainly considr. Plz giv mai thankz to Lord Linneuz." Cheemus pressed his fist against his chest, just above his heart, and bowed on again. He did not want to make it seem that was too eager to join the Light Baronry, but he also did not want to appear disrespectful.

Time: 9am
Weather: chilly and partly cloudy
Mentions: Ar Ef See Ar Ef See LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Eccentric_Undead Eccentric_Undead
OOC: let's see if we can try and group up some of the characters
TLDR: Linneus has a couple plans proposed for him to also choose from and assign roles. Meanwhile Michael is getting beat up in the yard for all to see and hear.
Post Listenings:

Light Barony Castle War Room

fantasy-war-room.jpg

Linneus's men that joined him in the war room were primarily the knights in his service. Each one with a couple exceptions had smaller land holdings within the Light Barony over which they acted as town sheriffs or judges, both law and protection for the villages they oversaw. This attack would see 2 villages and the barony's primary town in the path of the invasion. The 2 knights over those two villages were especially vocal about what should be done and who should take command of forces in guarding those areas. Despite Linneus's short time as Baron and even briefer time in getting exposed to the militaristic side of governing, the knights under him were primarily seasoned. Men that had mostly grew up in the area and trained in military or other war arts for most their lives. Some even had experience repelling previous woodland demon swarms. Of the knights in Linneus's employ, 6 knights were present. Any others were tending to other duties in the courtyard or managing their lands elsewhere in the Barony.

Linneus's proposals were 50% well received by one side of the room or the other. Noone was visibly enthusiastic about all of the proposals. One of the older knights that served in the main town of the Barony raised his hand after looking around to the others to discern turn order.

"Lord Light, respectfully, I would propose we keep a united front and create, like you mentioned, an entrapment in the grassy terrain here. I do not believe we would want to divide our forces prematurely."

The knight then illustrated the proposed formation with little props on the map. About half the knights in the room agreed with the idea. The other knights looked concerned. One of the knights overseeing one of the villages in the crosshairs of the swarm couldn't wait any longer.

"Pardon Lord Light, but I like your idea of splitting the army, but rather than forming up around the plains, I propose positioning the men at here, here, and there. In this way we ensure the protection of the villages and town. Our manpower will be reduced, but in the past the swarms spread out and didn't focus any one area, so firepower is less of a concern than simply having our forces spread out enough to ensure none slip past to cause any damage."

The younger knight proposed while repositioning the map assets to illustrate the plan. The standing army would stay in the town perimeter while the adventurers and mercenaries would each take a village to defend. Some knights and soldiers would be dispatched with each to ensure order and command were carried out.

Both plans were similar to LInneus in certain elements but both were drastically different approaches to each other. All men looked to Linneus to lay out the final plan and give out assignments.

The Manor Yard

1e0599588ed354b0e8327af068392f9c.jpg

Michael

b23ce4889bfa791fbc6ed9c17e020a5f.jpg
Michael stood with the other Adventurers that answered the call. Unlike the mercenaries which were a ragtag bunch of toughs, brigands, and sell swords of varying kinds, the adventurers were certified by their guild to be of a certain level of capability and free of criminal titles. Michael looked around taking in the atmosphere, the buzz of energy in the air before a battle. Made him anxious despite most of the men believing this would be a cake walk between our numbers and the ease with which woodland demons can be dispatched. In his thoughts, Michael did not notice the tall axe man mercanary he bumped into. Was like walking into a brick wall.

"Owe"

Michael groaned as he bounced off the man and plopped into the muddy training yard.

"Hey! Watch where you're going punk!"

"Sorry"

"Oh! You think sorry is good enough! I saw how you were looking at us mercenarious you pompous guildy. You dog for the goody goodies in Ryken! What an arrogant little fool you are coming to a battle field and smelling of your mother's milk. YOu think some extra certification from the guild makes you capable of going to war? You got a long way to go bub and I'm the one to teach ya!"

"OOF!"

Michael grunted as he was kicked by the big man in the middle of trying to get up. The man's tirade had drawn the attentions of others. Mercenaries were generally in agreement with the man's words. The nearby adventurers were 50/50. There no love lost between adventurers and mercenaries, but Michael was a bit too easy a target to disregard all of the man's comments. All the same, the adventurers gripped their weapons just in case the rowdy mercenaries got carried away and started a brawl. The soldiers standing around opted not to get involved so long as no one was about to die. Better to let them sort it out now than on the field of battle later. Looking around Michael saw Cheemus and Artimaya getting propositioned by a couple soldiers. His eyes and face were tense as the pain he felt tried to make Michael have a stronger reaction than he wanted to give away at the moment.

Last edited:

Cheemus' attention was called by the roughhousing that was happening in the courtyard. Without a word, he left the guard that was talking to him and walked to where the commotion was happening. Cheemus was not mad or did he feel any anger at what he was witnessing. It was more of dislike. In his mind, everyone that had gathered under the Light Baronry, whether employed or not, were allies if not friends. Teasing was one thing but senseless violence was something Cheemus did not like to tolerate. Approaching the larger man from the behind, Cheemus grabbed the neck and rear end of his spear, bringing it over and in front of the larger man before pulling it back, aiming to press it against his neck.

"Chonky boi, that'z not nice!" Cheemus panted and drooled as he attempted to incapacitate the mean mercenary and make him pass out.

Artimaya Synthro

07e239835edc285a856635ce5624403b.jpg

Mentions: Ar Ef See Ar Ef See Novama Novama LadyOfStars LadyOfStars
Interestingly enough, the courtyard was more than entertaining. First, someone actually approached her. A knight if she wasn't mistaken. Something about offering her some job for someone. It was all well and good, but before she could say anything, her attention was snapped to a fight. Some guy getting kicked by a mercenary and some strange sounding beast man attempting to break it up. As much as she wanted to just let this happen, she had a feeling that this scrap would effect her in one capacity or another. A deep, bothered sigh escaped her lips. Of course she would be dealing with this.

Taking a small hop off the bench, she started towards the altercation, Gigatrix following close behind. The massive armor simply walking through the stone bench she was sitting on. As she approached, she seemed to slow a bit "Armament." As the armor walked closer and finally made contact with her, it seemed like she simply melted into it. Or it molded around her. It was seamless and effortless. The armor didn't even stop moving. It just absorbed her into it and she vanished.

Now safely inside her armor, she cracked her knuckles and stopped just a few feet from the fight. The armor towered over the others. She looked down at them "Are you all going to stop or do you really want to fight?" She punches her fist into her hand, the loud pounding sound echoed off the armor as she waited to see if she was going to his someone.

Linneus had hoped his idea was a good one that would end the discussion of strategy, but it seemed to only prolong the debates. Now he was the center of attention and wa expected to make the deciding vote. He felt his heart pick up pace and thumping harder and harder in his chest. The future of his territories, his reputation, and all his plans could end with this invasion. Slowly his eyes looked to every face at the table and he tried to imagine what each person would personally want from this war. They were of course fighting for their lives and their families, but who was fighting for glory and fame? Who was fighting with ulterior motives in the hopes to gain the advantage over someone else?

"We will...divide the army and protect the villages as well. That is our responsibility as leaders." Linneus declared. His voice had started out weak and low, but grew as he spoke. "I will travel with my personal guard and a handful of the sell-swords to Redcliffe village." He looked to Alanna and she nodded her head to she her support of the decision. Linneus then looked to the older knight who had spoken up earlier. "I want you to remain here at Osun Keep and prepare a solid defense. Should we fail to stop the hordes we will need a place to fall back to and i know your years of experience will do better than anyone else in this task. The remainder of the army will travel to Highgrove village and we will fight the demons on every front."

It made sense in his head and he hoped that as other envisioned it, they could see why he wanted to take this course of action. The work he had put in to reach this rank could all be for nothing if they failed. "I don't want us to end up like Lanost. Hold nothing back and remember that you're not fighting for me, but for the families and loved ones who will be standing behind you. Ready your men and move out as soon as you're ready."

Last edited:

Cheemus was busy attempting to strangle the mercenary that was beating up Michael. He didn't notice the towering suit of armor that approached him from behind. Turning around, Cheemus had to look up. This wasn't something he did most of the time since he was taller than most of the people he encountered. Although impressed by the sheer size of the suit of armor, Cheemus did not waver and continued to try and incapacitate the mercenary.

"I'll stop only when chonky boi stopz." Cheemus was frowning, his face turning into a scowl but more like a pout.

Time: 9:02am
Weather: chilly and partly cloudy
Mentions: Ar Ef See Ar Ef See LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Eccentric_Undead Eccentric_Undead
OOC: we'll be winding down these scenes and moving to 'the field' so write with that in mind
TLDR: Linneus has voiced a plan that gives his men pause and concern. Soldiers step in to ensure the axeman and cheemus situation settles.
Post Listenings:

Light Barony Castle War Room

fantasy-war-room.jpg

While half the room was enthusiastic about Linneus's plan to split the forces and do better village coverage, all in the room were aghast at his final proposal. The old knight took one for the team and chose to talk back and voice his concerns about Linneus's plan.

"Lord Light, pardon my impertinence, but to leave the most defended position where you can be kept safe and continue to give direction to your forces from a more centralized location is far too risky to your life and the smooth operation of the war effort. What's more, to put your life in the hands of men who only have a loyalty to coin rather than your own soldiers and knights who have served this household and region for years is just pure....I plead you reconsider, my Lord"

The older man, in his passion, was still able to table some of his words, but his opposition was clear. The other knights agreed or looked away to avoid being entangled in the potential fallout. The merit of the old knight's plan was it would ensure Linneus's safety but directing the defense efforts for the villages and offensive in the fields would be slow and less accurate. There was also merit in staying with the main force rather than a merc or adventurer squad with different loyalties. A knight sworn to fealty is more likely to lay down his life for his lord than any sell-sword would, and that's assuming none of the men belong to rival lords hoping to capitalize on this skirmish with demons. Aside from coin, Linneus's own men also have incentive to ensure their lord stays safe because if Linneus falls, so too does the house of light and all those sworn to it. A new baron would be appointed to the barony and they would very likely appoint their own men to the key positions currently staffed by the men present in the war room.

There were no easy solutions, however. Even if Linneus were to rely on his own soldiers more for his protection than sell swords, the groups without Linneus in them would mean they would be primarily manned by the hired men and potentially less reliable. It would not be too hard to imagine how a village or town in the clutches of opportunists could be taken advantage of in this chaotic time.

The Manor Yard

1e0599588ed354b0e8327af068392f9c.jpg

Michael

While Cheemus pulled the axeman away from Michael, Michael was able to stand. He had several spots splattered in mud. Brushing himself off, he coughed a few times trying to catch his breath. He was going about it awkwardly, his brain scattered between the attacks, the embarrassment of the situation, and the personal need to get away from the situation. He unknowingly backed up.

Soldiers finally decided things had escalated enough to get involved. A handful of them walked up to stand around artimaya, cheemus, and axeman.

"That's enough of that. Save it for the demons, mercs,"

One of the soldiers said in a firm voice. Despite their aloof attitudes, all of them had a hand on their own spears ready to use them. It was not an uncommon opinion that beast men were on average less intelligent than the other humanoids and needed cold steel encouragement from time to time to get the message through. Still trying to recompose himself, Michael was vaguely aware of the situation and looked up concerned.

"I'm fine. It was just a misunderstanding."

Michael said louder than he needed to try and ease the situation. Even the axeman who was wrestling against Cheemus got the picture and tried ease the tension.

"Yo, man. Ease up. Like my associate over here has just said, it was just a misunderstanding. No reason to get all grabby"

Axeman choked out while continuing to fight against Cheemus's hold. He was not as strong however.

Linneus Light

cbf6c9dea31108ee1b0ddcf072dc81c8.jpg

Novama Novama

Linneus had expected some praise perhaps even an applaud when he shared his intentions to be on the battlefield. He was me however with the disapproval of his generals and although he wouldn't share it, he was embarrassed to have been doubted so. The young baron cleared his throat and snuck a glance at Alanna, but she had looked away to abstain for the conversation. She knew that they were right, but she more than anyone worked closely with Linneus and did not want to deal with the backlash.

"I have no head for battleplans and strategy." Linneus replied with an embarrassed grin. "I would be more useful in the field where I can inspire and ensure these hired blades behave as they should. Plus they'll want me to survive to ensure they get paid." Linneus chuckled nervously as he stepped away from the table. "You will do a much better job than me in issuing orders as the battle progresses, I have no doubt of that." As Linneus moved around the table and started towards the door, Alanna stepped to follow behind him.

"Let's not waste anymore time. We have a war to win." The Baron demanded as he departed from the room.

Time: 12:02am
Weather: cool and clear
OOC: Eccentric is pulling out of the rp for the time being. Ar Ef See, not sure where you went but feel free to hop back in at some point.
TLDR: Linneus and Michael move to the village of Highgrove. The attack of the woodland demons commences

Post Listenings:

Highgrove Village

maxresdefault.jpg

Michael

Shortly after the abrupt ending of the Light War Council, the knights in charge acted independently to best fulfill their lord's wishes in a manner most in the Lord's favor whether he wished it or not. It was decided that if Lord light would be going to the field, he would have significant guard presence and some adventurer support. No sell swords that may stab the lord in the back at an inopportune time would be allowed in the force that moved with the Baron.

Even with Linneus's limited level of leadership skills, he could tell something was off. The morale of his men was lower in his presence. They seemed riddled with anxiety and worry that their lord with little to no tactical skills or martial prowess was taking to the field and would be slain or captured on their watch due to some inexperienced miscalculation. Fortunately, the enemy was perceived to be fairly weak and they would have the homefield advantage. Overall, Linneus's choice was seen as a risky one and was actively having an adverse effect on his men. On the other hand, the adventurer's going with the Linneus party openly whispered and fantasized about saving the lord from some sudden near death experience and being handsomely rewarded for it. Those not worrying for their lord's well being were openly hoping for some catastrophic misstep that would allow them to show off. The fact that only the adventurers got to go with the Linneus party further stirred the pot. The mercenaries raged and fumed at not being given such a prestigious task as the adventurers guild and they also complained that their meal ticket was taken to the field and demanded to know who would pay them if the adventurers got him killed.

Michael simply took it all in. He had no mind for tactics or strategies. Even the loose politics around the drama between mercenaries and adventurers was apparently more than he could navigate as he had been made aware of earlier. This was the first time Michael had met a noble in person and he wasn't disappointed. The entourage around Linneus at all times was a testament to his status and station in society. Despite Michael and Linneus likely being close in age, Linneus had much more presence than Michael had. Felt to Michael like Linneus had a host of goals, ambitions, and responsibilities beyond anything Michael had to contend with. It suited the adventurer fine that way. It was too early to be tied down.

The village of Highgrove was a simple peasant settlement. Buildings were mostly single story and made of wood and straw. Most residents knew little beyond their trade and how to read and write. Primary businesses in the village was its wool and the products it made with the wool. Their proximity to the forest made them ideal for forestry except that lacked a sufficient means of transportation like the towns and villages along the river, so they contented themselves selling and trading in their animal products.

Highgrove was mostly evacuated as the men with Linneus entered the village. By the time conflict started, it was hoped that most of the people would have been able to pull back to the perimeter of the town of Osun so as to have some protection from the Baron's stone walls. The livestock would be the deciding factor. Soldiers and Adventurers dropped and positioned supplies and tents in the area. Amidst their preparations the first of the demons started stumbling out of the woods into the grassy field between Highgrove and the Forest.

"Enemy Sighted!!!!"

Shouted a soldier positioned on lookout. The base camp had not had its setup finished yet. The adventurers were instructed to march out there forest and hold off the enemy while Linneus's protections were put in place so he could properly lead the war effort without constant threat of enemy attack or visible distraction. Michael would anxiously straighten his swordbelts and start moving with the other men to confront the threat.

(F grade creature with particularly hardy vitality. More plant than flesh and blood, killing one requires excessive violence as if hacking at a zombie with no head weak point. Will scratch and rip and flail at anything it can get its hands on.)

35cd1d9c439868f3ce48ed84b62381cb.jpg

Last edited:
Steve
Steve had reached a point in his life where he was no longer used to being strong, agile, and full of vigor. As a fragile old man, he had forgotten that feeling. Fortunately, through the generosity of the heavens, he was allowed to reexperience those feelings yet again. Though small and scrawny in appearance, Steve was possibly in the best shape of his life. Testing his limits, he took on whatever task he was given, but none were capable of pushing him. Eager to see what he could do, Steve sought work with the adventurer's guild.

The thought of hunting down a beast or solving an elusive mystery both sounded intriguing, but the idea of combat and going to war hit Steve differently. It made him nervous, there was no denying that, but it also made his blood boil in excitement. What better way to test a man's limits than on a battlefield.

While sellswords and soldiers alike gathered around and cheered over some rough housing, Steve busied himself with being outfitted with equipment. "A pleasant morning, sirs." He humbly bowed his head, his eyes fidgeting, pressured by the knights and soldiers around him. With little words left to share, Steve pulled out his waterskin and took a swig of ale for some courage before proceeding to look around the gear made available to him. Lifting them in his hands and getting a feel of their heft, Steve was not a fan of the idea of getting weighed down by heavy armor. Picking up select pieces, along with a small shield, he opted to get a few parts instead of an entire set. As far as weapons went, Steve swung and thrusted a few swords around, but it did not feel right. Aside from a few tactical knives, Steve had little experience with blades. However, as he continued to look around, he found something oddly familiar. Holding an axe in his hands allowed him to remember fond memories of a log cabin.

F Grade Gear
  • 2 Broad Axes
  • Buckler
  • Light Armor
  • Pauldron (worn on the left shoulder)
  • Breastplate
  • Gauntlets
  • Greaves

Steve had just finished assisting in the evacuation of the villagers when he heard the call to arms. His chest pounding and heart racing, he hurriedly ran back to their camp. "Enemies this soon?!" This was what Steve signed up for, but even so, he couldn't help but feel anxious. The idea of being a hero and going into battle was all well and good, but when it actually happens, it hits differently.

Steve's eyes swelled as he laid eyes on the monsters that crept out of the forest. "What the?" As calm as he wanted to remain, Steve could not avoid showing worry in his face. He heard stories from the locals in Ryke, but this was the first time he had seen such creatures. With shield in one and his axes around his waist, he joined his fellow adventurers and slowly advanced forward. Instead of rushing in, Steve kept his guard up since being cautious was better than being dead. As he drew closer, instead of engaging the creatures head one, Steve decided it would be better if they were approached instead.

Picking up a few stones on the ground, Steve forcefully hurled them towards a single monster, hoping to agitate it and direct its attention towards him.

Last edited:
Xack Gransuke

sword, prince, warrior, general, nobleman_ clipped, this might make a decent avatar.jpeg

Xack Huffed and puffed as he jogged to the village wearing his armor, he had checked the details at the guild before rushing over as he could with the gear he was carrying. Xack Glanced around his surroundings taking stock of the situation, what looked like slim tree golems came from the trees. "Gah what rott'n Fuckin' luck I Got T'day, Them critters are already attacking" as he was agitated his irish accent slipped something that only happens during times of heightened emotions and he fucking hated it. "Whelp better earn my pay else no drinks tonight" Xack muttered as he stretched and cracked various joints in his back.
----
~Earlier~
Xack went through standard procedures to apply for the post before heading to the baron's armory only borrowing a single shield.
------------
~now~
Drawing his longsword after strapping his shield to his left arm, he proceeded to walk to the front grabbing a stone with his shield arm before chucking it at the nearest monster to grab its attention before tapping his sword on on his shield making a racket before entering a defensive stance and shouting "Come on you cocksuck'r I haven got all day" at the monster his accent slipping mid-swear.

The talk on the way to Highgrove was less than inspiring and even a bit irritating to listen to . The cocktail of emotions created a sort of divide among the swordsmen and even Linneus own guard had their thoughts on the situation and strategy. It made their trek to the village feel longer as he kept watch to prevent any sort of distraction or altercation from occurring. While most people seemed unsettled in some way by his presence, Linneus' personal guard were used to the young Baron being in harms way, but they could not be as prepared to protect him during a war as they would during a robbery on the road or a bear attack. All the same the group kept quiet and refrained from adding their own thoughts to the mix.

Linneus looked pass the dark strands of fringe that hung down in his face and watched the village come into view. Finally they had arrived and could begin making their preparations. His feet hit the dirt ground and he smiled as he looked around at the quaint homes and simplicity of the settlement. This was somewhat similar to the country home where he was raised. Now he was homesick on top of everything else.

"The demons advance!" Alanna shouted to the rest of her guard unit. Right away they formed up around Linneus and Alanna attempted to rush the baron back on to his horse. ""Stop!' His voice rang out over them, commanding obedience and their attention. Seated atop the stallion, Linneus turned the horse to face the forest. An audible gasp left his lips when he saw several of the adventurers had already started towards the danger. "We didn't come here to make me look important. Two of you join the fight and we will continue preparing the defenses." He knew it was important they weren't defenseless, but he didn't want the demons to have the chance to overwhelm their front line.

As Linneus commanded, Alanna took one guard with her and the two rushed to the front to aid the others. She drew her sword and with the her comrade backing her up, made the first swing at the demon before her. The remainder of the guard quickly set to the task of raising their defenses. "Let's get some barricades set up and close off some of these paths!"

Finnegan Huttman
129f6ff55fad064eef6ad84135315087.jpg

Well, guess it was time to get to action. He hadn't said too much since he been here, all the thinking was better done with folks who actually think. He, was busy preparing for his part. It was in the end mostly the same in regards to most type of work.

Heavy lifting, hit things, be hit by things.

It was true ultimate simplicity at it's finest.

So when it all came down to it, the fact the demons showing up early in this mission and not drawing out was a blessing!

Though, he isn't fully certain how to best slay a plant...

At least a plant that didn't have a descernable root. The young man grasped his broadsword and stepped on up. His orders were to stall and slay. So that is what he will do, it is just a matter of time before more showed up regardless so best he buy as much time as possible.

The armored man kept his approach up, eyeing the tree lines for more... He was expecting a good few, or atleast some kind of ranged back up that will hit them soon. Instead he will stand firmly where the other two adventurers weren't aiming to prevent them being flanked by foes approaching too quickly. He will be a wall against their tide.

"...I wonder... Can you eat any part of these...? Maybe a stew? No... Demons probably aren't edible in the slightest.

Check after, see what smells decent." He readied up his stance and prepared for incoming foes. Time to hold the line.

Novama Novama @ and others present

Time: 12:03pm
Mentions: Ar Ef See Ar Ef See LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Eccentric_Undead Eccentric_Undead Orikanyo Orikanyo Goran Glacial Goran Glacial Discusstu Discusstu
OOC: accidentally didn't properly upgrade the am to pm for the time in case anyone got confused. it is daytime around the noon hour.
TLDR: everyone had something to fight while the soldiers continued their base building effort.

Post Listenings:

Highgrove Village

maxresdefault.jpg

Michael

Despite all the adventurers leaving the village for the forest side field, the village still would feel full to LInneus. Soldiers crawled most of it, hurrying back and forth, carrying supplies to build fortifications and barriers near the forest side of the village. The demons were not particularly intelligent and were just as app to run headlong into the fortification as they were to run around it. Linneus would find his men would stay close to him on all sides. For any demon to reach him, it would have to go through at least a few of his men first and that's assuming it got past the guards putting up the barricades of stakes and wood board. As secure as he was, there wasn't much for him to do.

Conditions in the field were different. Even with the sun out now, the ground was soggy and slick. It would be incredibly easy to lose footing if one started or stopped suddenly without a strong sense of balance. A few overeager adventurers charging in immediately slipped and tripped over themselves allowing the demons to draw in close. It was nearly a disaster from the start but they were able to fight off the few numbers at the start. Something else that became quickly apparent was the lack of leadership among the adventurers with almost all of the soldiers hanging back to work on their lord's defenses. As such, adventures were grouping up or working solo at random and charging into or aggro'ing enemies as they saw fit without much coordination. Those that fought alone had a harder time than those that grouped up, but none of the fighting was particularly hard so long as no one got grouped up on and kept swinging until the creature was good and dead. The creatures became obviously dead when they shriveled up and crumbled to dust with their glowing light dispersing into the air.

Steve was the first to draw a woodland demon to himself. The rock was not necessary. There was more than enough enemies staggering out of the woods toward the village. Their slow, awkward gate was deceptive. Once it seemed to lock onto Steven, it bolted as fast as any average man toward Steve with Clawed hands flying. Despite the shoddy gear Steven had picked up, his raw ability was more than sufficient for dealing with this creature. The question was how, but more importantly he would need to resolve the creatures charge else it would start digging into him.

Xack would find himself in a similar situation with a demon charging his position. While normally he would be faster or at least more agile than the demon, the sudden attack would be difficult for Xack to dodge. Fortunately he was wearing heavy armor that would seemingly have the ability to resist some of what was coming his way. He too would have to deal with the creature attack him without giving it too much time to rip into his flesh. It smelled of rotting, wet logs.

The 2 soldiers (alanna) that Linneus dispatched to the front would each have their own share of problems. Too slow in their armor to dodge the creatures that suddenly lunged for them, they would likely have to rely on their armor and desperate stabbings of their spears at close range to see them through, maybe. Those with a perceptive eye would note the adventurers were faring better than the soldiers on average. Not surprising, those that chose fighting monsters and adventuring into hostile terrains as a profession had more experience and deadlier techniques than those who were merely peasants that started holding spears and were merely trained in keeping the peace among humanoids.

Finnegan stood alone on the outer edge of the combat zone. No monsters had yet to wander out from behind this point, so he effectively made up the outer edge of the defense on that side of the line. A single demon charged his way. Like the others before, its attacks were frantic and would likely turn out to be mostly useless against Finn's impregnable defense so long as he kept his guard up. The real challenge would come when the shadows, rapidly growing in number, emerged from the forest. In the meant time, Finn needed to discern an effective way to kill the thing trying to hurt him. (repeat for finn: "It smelled of rotting, wet logs.")

Michael was cautious enough not to immediately charge into things. His years as an athlete made it obviously you should ascertain the ground you'd perform on. Only took one bad fall to ruin an entire season for a hopeful athlete. Finding a spot that seemed dry enough for the moment, he basked in the sun to ward of some of the chill and warm up a bit with a few loose jumps. Drawing out his blades, Michael had 2 shortswords: one of mithril that gleamed a bright blue in the sun and the other a standard steel one with some custom etching in it for flare from the smith (sophia). Watching some of the more experienced adventurers dispatch their demons, it became apparent that 'excessive' was the right level for these creatures. In addition to having no vital points and being able to handle most stabs and blunt trauma with ease, they also seemed to have portions of their bodies designated as a tougher wood like armor.

One such demon finally tottered Michael's way. Michael readied his blades and crouched slightly with every muscle in his body tensing up like a spring under tension. The monster lunged for Michael, a gnarled claw going straight for his face. Michael released the tension:

"Shredder"

Michael suddenly spun like a top with blades whirling about him to create a blue blur. The demon was gone. Instead scraps of stick,root, branch littered the ground behind Michael in a splintered heap. The woodland demons were tough, but they weren't as touch as the chimeric beast Michael had encountered on a previous mission. Off to a good start, he cautioned himself against getting too big headed and made sure he was ready to run if things got suddenly dicey.

Dicey, things would become. Before the first herd was even resolved, another batch of woodland teams, twice the number of the previous batch stumbled out of the woods.

(F grade creature with particularly hardy vitality. More plant than flesh and blood, killing one requires excessive violence as if hacking at a zombie with no head weak point. Will scratch and rip and flail at anything it can get its hands on. Addition: many of them wear F grade wooden armor that acts as an extra layer and/or an extension of their bodies. They lack vital points. Piercing and Bludgeoning damage doesn't seem to effect them as much.)

Steve

After a third stone, Steve had successfully caught the attention of the monstrous sapling. His knees weren't quivering, but his nerves weren't exactly calm. Taking a deep breath and establishing some sort of resolve, Steve readied himself for the inevitable. He wasn't worried though. With the size of their group, he believed that they could manage the demonic threat as long as they picked them off one by one. Looking back briefly, Steve hoped to inspire himself with the image of seasoned veterans to turn to. As they said, no man was an island. And unfortunately, it looked like there was no island. A cold sweat passed over him as he saw not a rallied party of adventurers, but individuals who did things individually. At least most of them were, but who could blame them, they were mercenaries.

Shaking off whatever uneasiness he felt, Steve turned back but realized his mistake. Although momentarily, he should have not averted his gaze from the battlefield. Steve was reminded this the hard way as he was welcomed by a a raging plantkin rushing at him, claws bared and arms flailing. Instincts told him to dodge and jump out of the way, but the soggy ground said otherwise. Standing idle had caused Steve's feet to sink into the softened ground. It wasn't deep, but it was enough to hinder any evasive maneuvers. Partly fueled by intuition and mostly by panic, Steve grabbed tightly on to his shield, throwing away his plans to avoid the creature. Tucking his arm closer to his body, Steve had his shield closer to his shoulder and partly covering his lower face. He would take it head on, but not through brute force alone. Steve wanted to make the most of both his size and strength. Once the demon was close enough, Steve would crouch down before yelling out and launching a tackle, shoulder and shield first, aimed at the shins.

"Haaaaah!"

Given his small stature, going low would make him more difficult to hit and make his attack easier to pull off. Once out balanced and knocked to the ground, pinning it down with his feet and hacking through their body with his axes would become more feasible and less risky.

Steve's moment would have looked less lame if his voice matured a bit more and hadn't crack mid shout.

(If successful, Steve would hack away at the down tree thing.)

Last edited:
Finnegan Huttman

"Ah, I see..." the young man deflected i coming blows like a champ. He knew his capabilities, the beast was slowly learning them. But he was also learning it... Rotting wood, wet... Wet wood doesn't burn well, but rotting wood was good enough on the burn. He deflected another set of claws with his blade, eyeing the beast up and down. Everything had a heart or something, even if it wasn't really alive it had a point of weakness.

He wasn't being harried, but... Others were. Best somebody speak up.

"Oi you lot! We're not here to plunge into the woods! Get yourselves back here and take em together! Yea can count big kills not these damn small fry!" He called out to the adventurers around them all, knowing at least some of em are already counting.

"We got a foreat full of blighters, letting out all yer steam now will just wind yea!" He kicked his beast back to get some room, the stage set for another move. He would aim first for right leg wih a downwards slash, seeing if that would mess with it. Moreso than it would a normal man at least.

Novama Novama Discusstu Discusstu LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Goran Glacial Goran Glacial

Xack Gransuke
sword, prince, warrior, general, nobleman_ clipped, this might make a decent avatar.jpeg
Xack Finally got what he wanted... a woodland creature was charging toward him like he killed it's parents, Xack cussed "Fuck!" as he judged it was moving faster than himself. Xack shifted his weight to make sure the shield was between him and the woodland demon as he stabbed at its joints from behind the shield, every time the demon tried to go around the shield Xack move the shield there to meet it because no matter how strong an armor is you shouldn't assume it would protect you all the time. Although he tried to keep the shield in front of it there were times when it slipped through slashing at his sides. Xack gritted his teeth to weather a blow to stab at the neck hoping it would stop its Movement without a head. as he reached in he used his shield to shift a blow away from his left while he endured one on his right which was his sword arm as he stabbed forward.

F204A7E4-40E1-499C-AE48-654D342CD2B5.jpeg

Aria

Aria gasped as she was violently awoken by a nightmare. Drenched in sweat as she rose to sit up, covering her face with her hands leaning forward balancing her elbows on her knees. The sound of a trumpet startled her even further, before a knock on the door called out to her, “Aria! Wake up! They’re evacuating everyone! They’ve waged war against forest demons!”

Aria opened the door and got as informed as she could, the Nobility seemed to be accepting recruits. She couldn’t turn this opportunity down, she’d been training as best she could, but now it was time.
Aria was ill equipped, a fact she knew as she quickly tied her boot laces. With only a dagger, she imagined there’d be weapons supplied by the armory. Or perhaps she’d simply take it from a fallen soldier. She struggled somewhat to remember how the balance of a sword felt in her hands.

She’d head down the stairs and out of the local tavern heading straight for the barracks. She quickly went through the usual customs of military service, then searched through the armory for a satisfactory weapon. Aria browsed then held the sword up to her eyes as she gazed into her reflection for a moment before placing it in its sheath behind her back. A sudden feeling of anxiety seemed to work it’s way into her thoughts. Not out of fear, but because of her incomplete memories of combat. Something she considered her biggest obstacle here.

With a glistening flicker Aria teleported outside of the barracks already running towards the palisades that we’re currently being constructed in defense of the village. She gazed out into the battlefield and observed as soldiers, mercenaries and adventurers carried out their duties. Although the adventurers were scattered about they seemed to have a grasp on the situation. The war had begun, and more came out of the forests abutting the village.

The shield maiden then swiftly made her way to the front running past a battalion, as the slippery ground would throw her slightly off balance, yelping as she regained her footing.

It was then that one of the many shambling tree folk locked in on her, charging towards her in a frenzy. Aria would mutter some indescribable words as she used her ability Psionic Blade - Magic affinity E- dagger/knife Telekinesis affinity F - Area of effect F (10ft range) - Duration Spell F - Jewel Focus E - places her Jewel Focus in a dagger which allows for a psychic connection with it to manipulate as Aria sees fit within a 10 ft range around her for 1 RP minute - Grade E - 1 post cool down.

The dagger would float in front of her as it began to spin at tremendous speed as she drew the sword from behind her back. Aria would send the spinning blade towards the plant demon's face, if it proved effective it would slice its head clean off sending rotting plant matter into the air.

Even so it wouldn’t be enough to stop the charging creature's frenzy, as she attempted to overcome the adrenaline rush coursing through her blood. She took a few steps before using Teleport Strike F - Teleport F - Fighting Style - Swordcraft - Continuing (Bleed) (1 min ) F - Teleports within a 10ft distance of target before slashing target with equipped blade. Grade F - 0 post cool down.

She’d appear behind the charging creature before slashing straight across its shoulder and down its back. If the creature would still stand she’d follow up with a volley of slashes and blows, yelling ferociously while the Psionic dagger continued to strike through the tree folk like a boomerang.

Novama Novama @ Everyone involved in the battle

As the camp went up around him, Linneus watched the frontlines with a half decent view from atop his horse. It stomped in circles, impatient and anxious while the guards worked nearby on Linneus' fortifications. He tore his eyes away for a split second to look at the progress the other soldiers had started to make and quickly came to decision that he was not making the most of his guard. "You three!" He called to the warriors. "Join the other in the fight! Help draw the attention of the demons so the adventurers have an easier time killing them!"

As the number of enemies increased, Linneus feared the adventurers would be overwhelmed and although his guards were few in number, a somewhat decent strategy would be useful in the situation. Right away the guards raced forward to join their companions Spears held firmly in their hands they split up to join the different groups and assist the lone fighters.

"We'll draw their attention and take the brunt of their attacks!" They informed the others. The guards acted with courage and started attacking the nearest demons with unrivaled ferocity.

Linneus was trying to keep watch of those fighting and how they fought. He needed to see who these people were when faced with danger. While he was hoping to be surprised, he was shocked and left speechless when a villager seemed to rush to the battlefield. That was the kind of bravery he had been searching for.

Time: 12:03pm
Mentions: Ar Ef See Ar Ef See LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Eccentric_Undead Eccentric_Undead Orikanyo Orikanyo Goran Glacial Goran Glacial Discusstu Discusstu RavenSong RavenSong
OOC:
  • Aria teleported twice in her post, that counts as using an F grade ability twice and generally can't be done without energize or other relevant reasons.
  • Normally, if I post that a character is being attacked, not stating what they are doing by name is the same as allowing the attack to go through. Remember this the next time I mentioned an attack is effecting one of your minions and especially the named ones like Alanna.
  • Should be noted that Alanna, being a minion like the other 4 in her squad, only has a spear and armor like the rest in her group. No sword and no plot armor.
TLDR: everyone had something to fight while the soldiers continued their base building effort. Only a handful of seconds have passed. Linneus Minions are currently holding back the mobs meant for the rest of the party as well as their own.
Post Listenings:

Highgrove Village

maxresdefault.jpg

Steve successfully countered the Woodland Demon's charge with a shield bashing charge of his own that went low. Destabilized, the creature went down where Steve was able to stand over top of it and lay into it with his axes. Despite the simplicity of the axes, they were at least sharp enough to penetrate the wooden hide of the demon's when propelled by his strength. Unfortunately for Steve, the demon didn't seem to feel pain like other creatures do. Rather than recoiling, flinching, and otherwise cowering beneath the assault until Steven finished having his way, it ignored all of it and tried staking Steve's legs with its spear like fingers and hands. Steve would need a bit more time to finish this one off.

Finn was having a more relaxed time with his enemy. It failed to penetrate his defenses and before long, Finn hacked one of its legs off. The creature certainly didn't seem like much, but then it scrambled toward Finn on all threes, moving even faster with the missing leg and more stable base. It launched itself at Finn after quickly repositioning and tried to leap on him to go after his less armored part. It was noted the creature seemed to ignore the slick, muddy terrain. As it and others moved, they seemed to anchor themselves to the ground briefly with each step.

Xack's defense could use some work. The shield was barely useful as the lanky arms of the creature tried clawing at him from around the shield. His armor protected him for the moment though. There was more bad news. The sword thrusts from around the shield were equally showing minimal effectiveness. While the demon was much more full of holes than it was before, it didn't seem to much mind nor was its movements deterred, seemingly not operating with muscle fibers like normal creatures. The creature would continue to harass Xack. If they continued to struggle without Xack gaining a clear advantage, it would likely be Xack who would fatigue first.

Aria easily surprised her target with the initial dagger volley followed by the surprise teleport slash. Unfortunately, neither was particularly effective on this type of creature. The dagger eventually bore through the demon's wood armor and left a hole in its face, but the hold didn't seem to bother it. Nor did it mind the half a dozen more holes she put into it with her dagger. Arguably, her teleport slash was more effective as it actually cut into the body of the creature and left a large gash, however, she lacked the strength to force the blade all the way through in one go. Now aware of her presence as the victim of her frenzy, it would frenzy back and ignore her attacks to try and slash and claw at her in turn.

The 5 soldiers directly under Linneus's command fought valiantly. While some of the weaker fighters and adventurers were on the brink of getting overran or making serious mistakes, the group of 5 charged to the front to act as the point of the spear head that mad up the adventurer's defensive formation. This gave the rest time to readjust their tactics and regain their composure. The defenses of the village had not yet been finished, so there was nowhere to run if their push against the demons failed now. Unfortunately, the soldiers were unable to properly or quickly dispatch any single demon on their own. Took a minimum of two of them working together with their spears to eventually dispatch one. The situation made that sort of cooperation nearly impossible however. They had drawn the attention of demons double their current number. What the demons lacked in offense was quickly made up for by their numbers. Alanna would witness one of the more energetic men lose his footing in his desperate attempt to stave off 2 demons at ones. As soon as he went down in the muddied battlefield, it was like an alarm had went off as 2 additional demons joined the first two in pouncing the man. His armor would not save him anymore if nothing was done.

Michael

Despite the chill, Michael had worked up a sweat. Behind him, the pile of a woodland demon scraps had grown some. Fortunately, the soldiers had pulled them away so he could catch his breath and reevaluate. The little island of mostly dry turf was now mashed and muddied. If he continued fighting here, it would likely only be a matter of time before he fell. He started to move on.

Looking around, there didn't appear to be any casualties other than a few guys pulling back that got injured. Good news. But morale was slipping. Michael overheard a couple of adventurers catching their breath and griping about how the woodland demons were tougher to deal with this year than last. Something about them being bigger and sturdier. Michael had to agree. His mundane shortsword had a few areas where the edge was blunted due to chopping through all that bark armor.

Everyone suddenly looked to the front of the defensive line. The soldiers up there were carrying on, drawing enemy attention, and struggling to keep them at bay after having done so. With more enemies behind those already presenting a challenge, the situation looked dire. Rushing to the front at this point would not only risk several more people falling down and possibly getting in the way of those fleeing, but even if the line didn't have any mistakes, the enemies horde baring down on them would not be one they could face in an open field. They would likely have to rely on the village defenses being completed very soon or else...

While he had the luxury not to attack and could take his time to make a sound decision, he acted on his gut feeling unsure whether it was the right or wrong choice. Who could say. He found one 'dry' patch of grass he wouldn't immediately slip on that was close by and got himself ready.

(F grade creature with particularly hardy vitality. More plant than flesh and blood, killing one requires excessive violence as if hacking at a zombie with no head weak point. Will scratch and rip and flail at anything it can get its hands on. Many of them wear F grade wooden armor that acts as an extra layer and/or an extension of their bodies. They lack vital points. Piercing and Bludgeoning damage doesn't seem to effect them as much. Addition: to aid in walking and standing upright, they temporarily root themselves. Their connection to the earth also seems to give them an extra sense that allows them to better pick up on the movements on and in the earth like a tremorsense.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back