• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Hogwarts 2020: The First Years OOC

Which Hogwarts House is the best?

• Gryffindor

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Ravenclaw

• Hufflepuff

• Slytherin

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I'm sticking to certain keywords so that I don't come out with something weird or absurd. Blue, green, red, and yellow are everywhere on my screen

I'm sticking to certain keywords so that I don't come out with something weird or absurd. Blue, green, red, and yellow are everywhere on my screen
If your search keywords are HP-related, you're going to get HP-related FCs. Just search keywords related to the character's appearance (hair color, eye color, gender...) instead.

That's not the issue. The issue is Google isn't working with me and I don't want to be that guy looking like he's trying to game the system with preferred house in the pic. I'm not trying to pick, but the resources available to me look like I am

Which is the question, would that affect anything?

A little, but not as much as you would think compared to personality. Haha, I'm letting players describe their character's personality. You can completely game the system if you want^^ Your characters can have houses they prefer. Colors they like. In the end, I make the pick, but I take everything into consideration. Though, if you want to make it clear your fc has nothing to do with the house you want them to be sorted in (just that you can't find a better pic), I'll take that into consideration as well.

Aughh, I just realised I had tons of errors in my sheet. Like, at least two of them are because my autocorrect enjoys correcting right words into different words, and another because I was just sleepy.

I'm actually quite interested in seeing what house you'd put her in, for the most part. There are the easier choices, but shoving her into Gryffindor would give her something of a challenge and some character development in the future or something.

Working on the bio and personality now.

Question: aside from a squib, because that has incorrect applications, what would you call a wizard-born child that is seemingly incapable of magic?

Working on the bio and personality now.

Question: aside from a squib, because that has incorrect applications, what would you call a wizard-born child that is seemingly incapable of magic?
Similarly to how muggles with the ability of magic are called muggle-borns, squibs can also be referred to as wizard-borns.

But most just call them squibs.

Similarly to how muggles with the ability of magic are called muggle-borns, squibs can also be referred to as wizard-borns.

But most just call them squibs.
Well, squibs have magic, they just have no control whatsoever over it, as I recall, which isn't quite what I'm looking for. The idea is that they don't have magic at all.

Wizard-born muggle is a bit of a mouthful, though. The 'Muggle-Born' in Muggle-Born Wizard is clarification that the wizard wasn't born to wizard parents. And with the focus on bloodlines, Wizard-Born Muggle doesn't seem like something someone would describe this as, since muggles aren't allowed to see the magical world.

I could be wrong, though

Well, squibs have magic, they just have no control whatsoever over it, as I recall, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.
mmm, according to what i'm reading and what I know, Squibs do not inherit any magic from their parents whatsoever, so they're incapable of using any magic at all. However, it's their blood that carries the magic 'gene', so to speak, so their offspring may have the ability to use magic. Squibs also may have the capability to see what is hidden from Muggles due to this 'gene' as well.

EDIT: On further reading, there is actually a thing called 'Magic Genes' in the Potterverse, which is what determines who can use magic and who cannot. Muggles technically have it as well, but it's dormant for the most part.

Huh, just looked it up on the wiki to check. I had the wrong definition of squib.
Looks like that was the word I was looking for.

You know something I just thought of about patronuses? When Harry learns the spell, it's portrayed as a very difficult spell. Except Harry and the gang later teach half of Hogwarts how to cast it with relative ease.

And it's also portrayed as a very niche spell that's only useful in dealing with dementors, which is why it's not really taught.

And then later it's used to send a message.

I'm just picturing this conversation between a teacher and student in my head.
Teacher: Would you like to learn this very difficult and niche spell that's useful in like one situation you'll probably never experience?
Student, visibly confused: No, why would I need that? I've got charms in two minutes, I gotta go.
Teacher: You can use it to text your friends from miles away
Student: really? *whips out wand* Expectro patronum!

I feel like i haven't been getting any notifications for this.

Also yeah patronus is quite niche. I think it'd be considered a 6th year spell with possibly the basic white field being 5th year.
In HP itself it's usually 2 houses per class, for this are we just gonna have all the students being in the same classes?

I mean, it's the same as muggle schools teaching stuff like Pythagoras and trigonometry, right? It's only really important and useful if you choose to pursue a career that involves the use of it, such as architecture (in this case Auror business, perhaps?).

I'm actually quite interested in seeing what house you'd put her in, for the most part. There are the easier choices, but shoving her into Gryffindor would give her something of a challenge and some character development in the future or something.

You'll just have to wait to find out :closedeyessmile:

But yes, many of the characters submitted can fit into more than one house. Estelle included.

Huh, just looked it up on the wiki to check. I had the wrong definition of squib.
Looks like that was the word I was looking for.

Glad you got that clarified. Lenore looks nice.

Kimby Kimby SomebodyElse SomebodyElse

Dorian and Claire as well. I enjoyed reading them.

You know something I just thought of about patronuses? When Harry learns the spell, it's portrayed as a very difficult spell. Except Harry and the gang later teach half of Hogwarts how to cast it with relative ease.

And it's also portrayed as a very niche spell that's only useful in dealing with dementors, which is why it's not really taught.

And then later it's used to send a message.

I'm just picturing this conversation between a teacher and student in my head.
Teacher: Would you like to learn this very difficult and niche spell that's useful in like one situation you'll probably never experience?
Student, visibly confused: No, why would I need that? I've got charms in two minutes, I gotta go.
Teacher: You can use it to text your friends from miles away
Student: really? *whips out wand* Expectro patronum!

lmao, assuming a pureblood wizard teacher even knows what texting is =P

Making the patronus corporeal (physical) is the difficult part from what I understand. It summons forth your positive feelings into the form of a spirit animal guardian, which is effective against dementors, but I always assumed it would try to protect its user from other forms of harm as well so long as it's maintained. Dark creatures, ghosts, spiritual mumbo jumbo, etc. Anything that can't be harmed by normal means. If the patronus is corporeal and has a physical body, the user can probably summon it to tackle their opponent too, lol. Though the cost of using such a powerful charm for simple physical assault probably isn't worth it in most cases.

In HP itself it's usually 2 houses per class, for this are we just gonna have all the students being in the same classes?

Yes. Or whoever feels like posting for the class really.

Making the patronus corporeal (physical) is the difficult part from what I understand.
Adding to this, the common Patronus charm is a simple blast of light and happiness, and works as a good temporary measure, I believe.

For comparison purposes, think of a regular Patronus charm as a shotgun blast, and a focused Patronus form as a sentry gun of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back