Anime & Manga Do You Call Anime by Their English Name or Their Japanese Name?

AnimeGenork

The Duck Overlord
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I'm honestly wondering about this point. I often call a lot of anime by their Japanese name, mostly because I use MAL to track my anime and that's what it's set to. But if I knew the English name already, I tend to go by that. Some English names I use because I don't know how to say the Japanese name/it's too long to remember. (For example, I say Classroom of the Elite instead of Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shuji no Kyoushitsu e. But I say Digimon Xros Wars more often than I say Digimon Fusion...)
But sometimes, and this is very rare, I use them interchangeably. The most notable example of my doing this is Snow White with the Red Hair/Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. Either way, it's fun to say.

Which version of the anime's name do you use? Do you do English AND Japanese names? Or do you use English for some and Japanese for others?

For the sake of simplicity and for others to know what I am talking about most of the time. I go with mostly English names even though I watch subs and dubs interchangeably depending on their quality. One anime I do interchangeably use Japanese name and English name is Mirai Nikki otherwise known as Future Diary. Otherwise it's rare for me to call an anime by its Japanese name

For the sake of simplicity and for others to know what I am talking about most of the time. I go with mostly English names even though I watch subs and dubs interchangeably depending on their quality. One anime I do interchangeably use Japanese name and English name is Mirai Nikki otherwise known as Future Diary. Otherwise it's rare for me to call an anime by its Japanese name

I do the same with Mirai Nikki. It's one of the few where I saw the Japanese name more, but if someone is confused by the title, I switch to Future Diary.

Typically I call anime by their Japanese name. I only call them by their English name when I don't know the Japanese name or when I'm in a hurry and want to write it faster. I suppose if I'm talking about/with someone who mentions the anime by it's English name, I'll likely also start using the English name

If there's an official English name, I'll refer to that. But there are a lot of shows where the romanized Japanese title is also the official English title, so in those cases I'll use the Japanese title. It gets a little messier in the case of shows where the English title usually refers to an edited dub version, in which case I'd probably use the English title if talking about the edited version and something closer to the Japanese title if discussing the original version.

Last edited:
I usually go by the english name. My friends are usually recommending animes to me, and they use the english name. It also depends on the difficulty of the name. For example I go by the Japanese name for boku no hero acedemia, because I found it (instead of my friends) online and it's simple to say.

It really depends on the anime for me. Sometimes I refer to it as the Japenese name just cause it flows nicer in my opinion, or I use the English name cause the Japanese one is too long. But sometimes I use both like with Mirai Nikki and Shingeki no Kyojin -- usually it depends on who I'm talking to and whether they use the Japanese or English name.

I tend to go with the English names of just about everything I watch, even if I’m watching subs or dubs. And that’s simply because I know I’ll butcher the heck out of it other wise ??

I would have to say that it really depends with me. It normally depends how I first hear/see it. Then I'll call it by whichever name!

Sometimes I say the Japanese name - e.g. "Boku no Hero Academia"
Sometimes English - e.g. "My Hero Academia"

AND SOMETIMES

e.g. "Boku No My Hero Academia"

Though I just usually use acronyms or a shortened version for most anime.

"BNHA"
"SNK"
"Raildex"

I usually go with whichever one I am more used to. Say I've been reading a manga, or watching an anime, with the Japanese title I'll more than likely refer to it by that title instead of the English title and vice versa. This does change if I'm talking to someone who is more used to the English, and/or Japanese, title just to make it easier for both of us.

Japanese names! Always their japanese names. There are exceptions, though. In Tales of Symphonia(okay this is a jrpg but it did have an anime) there are these characters called Raine and Genis in English. In Japanese, they're called Refill and Genius. No other characters had their names changed except for those two. I just don't really want to call characters Refill and Genius, you know?

It depends, sometime English sometime Japanese. In Japanese I usually refer them to

ごみ or Gomi, while in English it means trash.

Usually Japanese, but I use English for those anime with official English titles like Evangelion or Gundam.

For me, it depends on how long the Japanese name is and how hard it is to pronounce. So, it's really 50/50, when it comes to calling anime franchises by their English name or Japanese names lol.

I use what their title shows.. If the anime or manga has a romanticized or english title Like Blame or xxxHolic then I used that...

Exceptions when I troll people who has a dirty mind in which i would do for Boku no.....Hero Academia. (people would oddly assume I would say Boku no Pico for some Reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

It depends. Some animes are more well known or easier said in Japanese.

When the Cicadas Cry can be said as "when they cry". But that can also be confused with the 2nd series When the Seagulls Cry. So instead of English, I just say Higurashi (Cicada) or Umineko (seagull). Just easier.

And then there's something like Laputa/Castle in the Sky or Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi/Spirited Away. I find it hard to find people who know Ghibli movies by the Japanese title because they're becoming popular in the west, even with general audiences.

Usually English, but it depends on what everyone else around me is calling it. Like, I know "Mirai Nikki' but if you said "Future Diary" I'd have a rough time remembering which series that was because I don't know anyone who calls it Future Diary.

I usually just interchange it depending on who i'm talking to or my mood. i try not to use shortened names (like hrak) because most people don't know them lol.

I usually go by Japanese names, easier to find on certain anime sites, who don't translate the titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back