• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

pandakatiefominz

For I, am John Dorian, King of the Nerds
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It is 1955 and your characters, for one reason or another, decide to move into a boarding house. Through correspondence, the owners seem rather nice, normal people. The husband, during the school year, is a history teacher and veteran, and the wife stays at home with their ten year old daughter. The town where the house is located--Orchid Springs--seems to be a lovely, idyllic, small-town American town, one where everybody knows everybody and family roots run deep. Summers are sleepy and long, winters quiet and cold... but when you drive to the end of Stony Croft Lane, the last house on the left, the place you agreed to live, is unlike the other, pretty, normative homes on the street. It is tall and evokes the memory of Dracula's castle, and kept behind a tall, wrought-iron fence. And that is only the beginning.

I am seeking partner(s) for a mostly slice-of-life RP centered around life in a spooky boarding house with eccentric owners. It is somewhat inspired by the Addams family, because my intention isn't for it to be a horror RP, but rather a found-family RP within a house owned by people who go openly go against social norms during a time period where people are fully expected to conform entirely.

I chose "Multiple Settings" and not "Realistic" because although my intentions are for a non-magical universe, if others really want it, I am willing to bring some magic in. It'd work really well for my characters (my woman character is a witch in realistic and non-realistic settings, because in realistic settings she just doesn't have real magic, and instead uses crystals and sages rooms, etc., but where magic exists she's an actual witch, and I can see a scenario where she has real magic but the 'general public' is unaware of it), but my conflict is that I am not particularly interested in a plot where literally EVERY character has magical powers, I'd prefer one where very few do, and it's generally secretive (but not because the government is evil and desires to capture/experiment on them)

Feel free to play either someone who moves into the house or a neighbor! Although neighbors may not have much to do in the plot for the first little while :)

Content

-I am okay with darker themes, but please avoid in-rp intense/graphic violence (a fist fight is acceptable, a stabbing is not), sexual assault, murder, or other events of this nature. Having these events as parts of your character's backstory is acceptable. I would also request no depictions of child abuse (again, I'm okay with these being part of your character's history, but not an on-going event)

-I'm okay with romance (although my characters are not romancable), but no sex. Please, for the love of all that is good and green in this world, do not write a graphic sex scene in the RP. If you want to "fade to black" that's fine, but please do not write smut. And speaking of romance: It is okay with me if you and another player desire to have your characters fall in love, but please do not FORCE another player to fall in love with your character.

Length

-Any reply length is acceptable as long as it is longer than one line. I will match everyone's general length, which may vary depending on the scene

-I'm a college student, I may not have instantaneous replies, but I will reply as quickly as I am able :)

Rules

1.) Be respectful. Characters and writers of all races, sexualities, and genders are welcome in the RP. We place no judgements.

2.) If you begin to feel tired of the RP, please have your character officially move out of the house/neighborhood, rather than ghost. Under normal situations, I'm totally fine with ghosting, but we'll be in a group setting, with a really simple way to exit the story. I urge anyone who wants to play the Owner of the boarding house only do so if you are "in for the long-haul," so to speak, but if at any point you deem it is best for you to leave, I suppose you can pass the ownership of the house to one of the tenants.

3.) If you want to take a break from the RP, but plan on returning, have your character go on vacation. It explains the absence while remaining in-universe

4.) The setting is in the fifties, but I do not expect total historical accuracy. Please be understanding if someone makes a mistake regarding the time period. ALSO INCLUDED IN ALLOWING HISTORICAL ACCURACIES: DO NOT MAKE YOUR CHARACTERS RACIST/HOMOPHOBIC/TRANSPHOBIC. Yes I know it is historically accurate for most time periods. No I do not allow it. If you want to have a POC or a LGBTQ character who has experienced discrimination/bigotry, I'm fine with that, but I don't want to see one character be racist to/about another character, you know? Also, we are deleting segregation. My reasoning for this rule is I don't want some bigoted fellow using this RP as a way to express their beliefs, and I don't want someone who is within a marginalized community (such as myself) to at any point feel unwelcome. See Rule #1. That said, if you want your character to be in a LGBTQ relationship, but want to keep the drama of them trying to hide it... that's okay with me. I've seen Patsy in Call the Midwife, I understand the appeal.

5.) If we do have magic, please don't make it something where your character is a cat-person and leaps onto the ceiling when they're frightened, or anything like that. I want it to remain very grounded--pun not intended, and I don't want magic to ever really be the focus of the rp. I'm much more interested in the relationships between characters.

6.) No discussions of IRL politics.

7.) Please be 18+. I don't like gatekeeping ages, but every time I've ever tried to RP with someone under 18, it ends up quite awkward. I'm 21, for reference.

Well, that's all I've got!!! I really hope people are interested, I think it's a really fun idea! Please comment down below if you're interested. Normally I request DMs, but I think since I'm hoping for a group, it would be easier for everyone who may be interested to see what others are thinking. I'll also begin a DM thread when we have at least two people, and just keep adding people from there!

Last edited:
I'm cool with no magic, but would some very mild empath/psychic abilities be allowed? In a nutshell, he could read when objects have strong emotions attached to them and he could pick up on the general vibe of an environment. Stuff like that.

I'm cool with no magic, but would some very mild empath/psychic abilities be allowed? In a nutshell, he could read when objects have strong emotions attached to them and he could pick up on the general vibe of an environment. Stuff like that.
I'm alright with it as long as it leans more towards "mile empath" and less towards "psychic abilities." Like I'm okay with being able to be like "oof, this room is tense" or being able to pick up an object and have like, a "this object has a happy mood to it," reaction, but I wouldn't really enjoy it if it was like, "Oh, someone was fiddling with this object when they got really bad news" because some of my characters keep their cards close to their chest and don't like to share deeply personal memories, so I wouldn't quite enjoy it if a character could easily discern them, if that makes sense

Yeah yeah absolutely. He doesn't get specific memories or thoughts. Just the general mood/emotion/vibe.

Like he'd know if something was well loved and sentimental, or if something is tied to negative feelings, but he wouldn't get anything specific. And it can't be just any old object that somebody happened to be near or touching when something happened. It has to be something with those emotions often and repeatedly applied to it.

Like, if it's anything like the Addams family, walking into the house, he'd get a sense that the place has generations of pride and love in it. Probably a good dash of chaos.

He'd know if a certain armchair was somebody's favorite place to wind down and relax. He'd know which stuffed animal was a child's favorite for comfort. He'd know that a certain keychain is sentimental and important to someone.

It needs to be either one super strong instance, or a lot of small applications over time. Like he'd get really unsettled and creeped out if he walked into a room where somebody was tortured and murdered, but might not pick up much if anything from a knife that someone was stabbed with.

I guess that's fine then. I presume you won't make determinations about what objects/rooms carry emotional weight, so I don't see a problem with it. (BTW, I have to structure my life on a "30 minutes = work, 15 minutes = break" structure on the weekends, so I saw this hours ago but couldn't respond then)

No worries. Take your time on things. I'll be around. I'm ready to start whenever

hi! is this still available I think I could add a good addition to the family and ill be able to follwo all the rule sets above quite easily! ive got the perfect lay out of a character for this if you allow me to join!

I started a big DM thread to better discuss the RP so it's not in the comments of the recruitment thread, but I got a pop up saying "You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: CyberJackal." I'm not sure how to fix it

I started a big DM thread to better discuss the RP so it's not in the comments of the recruitment thread, but I got a pop up saying "You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: CyberJackal." I'm not sure how to fix it
🤔 Huh... Weird. I'll see if it's something in my settings

Ok, now try it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back