• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Forbidden Scroll OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Should I be playing a 'destined' instead? I didn't see that one listed. I can also be a plain old fire bender if it fits better. Technology is tricky outside the Republic era.

The Destined Playbook is from the Wan Shi Tong's Adventure Guide supplement, so it won't be among the core materials. I can certainly PM you the details of the Playbook though if you like.

Otherwise, if you want to stay with Rogue, you could have Yuza know a spirit who collects stolen trinkets from her in exchange for favours and information. And it can make sense for this spirit to be known to other thieves, (or vice-versa). One thing you should perhaps keep in mind though is that a Rogue is generally an outcast within their background (even the Outlaw one), which in this case could certainly be explained by Yuza being a spiritual person living in the largely unspiritual Fire Nation.

And yeah, if you're not too sure about pre-Korra tech, it might be better to take the firebending training. I don't know if I'd allow overtly mystic and spiritual stuff to be encompassed by Technology. Sorry.

What does Technology in this era look like to you? Foreign bending styles don't really seem to fit too well into this story, but I could absolutely do Fire or Martial.

Am I wrong in thinking the Fire Nation is very spiritual in this era? Oh, wait, this isn't the start of the Hundred Years war, Ozai only shows up at the end. Yeah, okay, scrap that whole spirit angle.

I could do a Prodigy cousin of Daishu. If none of us are thieves, that explains how we got ourselves caught 😆 . I could make a Rogue on retainer to the family? It doesn't seem like Daishu would have someone so disreputable on retainer, though. A Rogue cousin is a bit of a stretch - gambling and carousing, sure, but a noble engaging in petty theft is a bit beyond the pale.

What does Technology in this era look like to you? Foreign bending styles don't really seem to fit too well into this story, but I could absolutely do Fire or Martial.
I'd say no electricity or portable powered devices. Other than that, you should be okay. Technology techniques tend to revolve around quickly tinkering with stuff during a fight, or using things like smoke bombs, suction boots, entangling devices and traps.

If none of us are thieves, that explains how we got ourselves caught 😆 .
You are breaking into the Dragonbone Catacombs within the capital for the inciting incident, so you don't have to be completely incompetent at criminal stuff. 😁

I could make a Rogue on retainer to the family? It doesn't seem like Daishu would have someone so disreputable on retainer, though. A Rogue cousin is a bit of a stretch - gambling and carousing, sure, but a noble engaging in petty theft is a bit beyond the pale.
You could quite easily interpret a Rogue's Bad Habits as being their coping mechanisms. Also, you only need to pick four from the list.

Oh, but from these new ones the Razor is a really nice thematic fit for Daishu! The adopted branch family 'cousin' who epitomizes everything the family has done wrong (because they did plenty of it), assigned to serve and protect, deadly effective, reluctantly dragged along on Daishu's quest for redemption and honour. I'll switch to the very traditional Fire Bending Razor.

Oh, but from these new ones the Razor is a really nice thematic fit for Daishu! The adopted branch family 'cousin' who epitomizes everything the family has done wrong (because they did plenty of it), assigned to serve and protect, deadly effective, reluctantly dragged along on Daishu's quest for redemption and honour. I'll switch to the very traditional Fire Bending Razor.
Coolio.

I went ahead and made Sesi, a Water Bender using the Idealist playbook. They are set up and ready to go. I have not set up any connections yet. I am open to suggestions and ideas for connections.

I went ahead and made Sesi, a Water Bender using the Idealist playbook. They are set up and ready to go. I have not set up any connections yet. I am open to suggestions and ideas for connections.
Yeah, this works for me. Perhaps we can also tie the contents of the scroll to why Sesi's village was massacred?

Yeah, this works for me. Perhaps we can also tie the contents of the scroll to why Sesi's village was massacred
We can if you want…I thought the nature of the scroll had to do with the air bender annihilation but I am happy to be flexible with Sesi’s backstory for the sake of the adventure.

jaydude jaydude when were you hoping to start?
Probably once you, Eonivar Eonivar and Rykon Rykon have your character sheets done. I don't know if myrkwise myrkwise and Ransokyos Ransokyos still want to take part.

We can if you want…I thought the nature of the scroll had to do with the air bender annihilation but I am happy to be flexible with Sesi’s backstory for the sake of the adventure.
I'm fine either way. The scroll basically contains historical information that doesn't fit with the Fire Nation's propaganda. And I was thinking it could be about the true circumstances behind the Air Nomad Genocide, but you lot are welcome to give suggestions regarding its content.

I think other than connections which I need to determine based on the other characters, I have all of Sesi’s character done, unless there is something I missed?

I think we're all done or done-adjacent. I can very quickly fill in one or two blanks, but generally I think all of our sheets are in a state fit for play.

Random Word Random Word
You haven't yet specified what techniques Yuza knows. Also, you need to have unique names/locations for each of your mistakes.

I definitely did specify my two techniques! Sure, I can come up with some random names and locations for mistakes.

I don't think the playbook says I need that, but I can see it would be helpful. You can also just tell me what Yuza's mistakes were, to fit them into the story. She's been raised as an enforcer for Rykon's noble house, and earned her accession into a minor branch of the family known for recruiting such people for being very good at her job.

I don't think the playbook says I need that, but I can see it would be helpful. You can also just tell me what Yuza's mistakes were, to fit them into the story. She's been raised as an enforcer for Rykon's noble house, and earned her accession into a minor branch of the family known for recruiting such people for being very good at her job.
Sure, I can do that if you like.

I'm looking at the supplement on Demiplane, which generally provides a few more explanatory details than the character sheets on their own.

Aha, okay, then let me know - I can make up literally random names of places and people the family wanted to put down, or you can at your discretion figure out who in the story the family is likely to have wanted hurt or intimidated. I just made up random names and places for her trophies.

Yuza's mostly interested in whether this is some absurdly elaborate deception. The Fire Sages aren't presumably typically in the business of releasing prisoners their order has just arrested, but 'killed while escaping' is a classic way to get rid of prisoners both too important to execute and too important to live. She thinks her friends aren't cynical enough for these sorts of political games, and she needs to protect them. Should I roll a move, or can we assume Niuan is either telling the truth as he knows it or is a good enough liar to progress the plot?

Yuza's mostly interested in whether this is some absurdly elaborate deception. The Fire Sages aren't presumably typically in the business of releasing prisoners their order has just arrested, but 'killed while escaping' is a classic way to get rid of prisoners both too important to execute and too important to live. She thinks her friends aren't cynical enough for these sorts of political games, and she needs to protect them. Should I roll a move, or can we assume Niuan is either telling the truth as he knows it or is a good enough liar to progress the plot?
You can assume that Niuan is telling the truth. He's certainly not trying to deceive any of you.

Yeah there is not a move in this game like in Masks “Piercing the Mask” that is in to reading people. I guess you could “Assess the Situation” here but I am not sure how applicable those questions are in this situation.

(Yeah I am very familiar with PBtA and Masks of which this game was built on.)

In Yuza's case she has a special variant of Assess the Situation:

I’m a People Person
When you watch someone interact with another person, roll with Focus. On a 7-9, ask 1. On a 10+, ask 2. Take +1 ongoing to act on the answers.
• Are you lying right now? <-- Specifically this one 😆
• What are you most afraid of?
• How are you vulnerable to me?
• How can I get you to mark the condition ______?
On a miss, you can’t get a good read on them; mark a condition in frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back