• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Avatar Legends: The Forbidden Scroll

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
In terms of heists, this one could probably have gone a lot better.

On the other hand, having the audacity to commit such a robbery within the very capital of the Fire Nation arguably deserves some kind of respect.

In any event, right now the three of you are confined within a single cell of Capital City Prison, awaiting the Fire Lord's judgment, having failed in your scheme to steal from the Dragonbone Catacombs.

It's not too much of a stretch to guess what fates await each of you. Yuza is likely looking at a life sentence within the so-far inescapable Boiling Rock Prison. Sesi will no doubt be thrown into the prison used to contain Waterbenders within the northern islands, to be caged in a room with dry air and chained up whenever in need of a drink. Zaran may get lucky depending on how much his parents are willing to grovel before the Fire Lord, but at best he's looking at permanent exile from Fire Nation polite society, house arrest at one of his family's estates in the colonies, and being forced to cut off his topknot.

===

As the light of the early morning sun begins to shine through your cell's window, the three of you hear faint footsteps approaching the door, as well as what appears to be laboured breathing. Instinct tells all of you that it's not a guard; you don't even know if they actually patrol here regularly.

The door then opens with a quiet creek, and sure enough the three of you see an old man in a dark red cloak step inside, his hood up and a pack over his shoulder. He pushes the door closed behind him before approaching the bars of your cell at a fast walk - the quickest pace he seems capable of consistently maintaining in his old age - and whipping out a set of keys.

"There isn't much time." he whispers urgently while unlocking your cell. "I can help you escape. Both this prison, and the capital."

As he speaks, Zaran and Yuza both recognize the man as Fire Sage Niuan. The last time either of them saw him was during the Daishu Clan's most recent salon, following Niuan's return from a tour of the Fire Nation Colonies. On that occasion, he seemed somewhat uneasy for reasons unrelated to old age, though no-one was able to figure out the true cause of it.

Zaran​

Fatigue: [_][_][_][_][_]

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:
Tradition - (_)-(_)-(_)-{B}-(_)-(_)-(_) - Progress

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:
Forgiveness - (_)-(_)-(_)-{B}-(_)-(_)-(_) - Action

Yuza

Conditions: (All start unmarked)
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:
Control - (_)-(B)-(_)-{_}-(X)-(X)-(X) - Connection

Yuza sits seiza, eyes closed, elbows on her knees, palms a few centimetres apart, a blue flame dancing between them without ever quite touching. A well honed meditative exercise. Lose control and get burned. To wit, her present accommodations. Anger and fear are two beloved and well trained mongoose-lizards lying beside her in her mind; coiled, eager, but held in check by discipline fit to shame iron. They are a source of power, fuel for her fire, and not to be spent carelessly. Lose control and get burned.

Regret is a weakness. Scour it from your mind with cleansing flame, and with its ashes paint a better path. She must teach Zaran control, so his emotions do not sweep him away with unrealistic plans that accomplish nothing. More importantly, she must redouble her own control, so her emotions do not sweep her away when Zaran waxes poetic on honour and justice or Sesi spills their bleeding heart. A momentary lapse of control - a flaw to be examined, understood, excised. A step on the path. A step through fire, but pain is life's keenest instructor.

Her eyes snap open as the door creaks, piercing gaze like an eaglehawk following the Sage as he approaches, body relaxed. His decrepitude could be an act, and she dissects his every motion for signs of deception while she rises smoothly to her feet and leads the way out of the cell, keeping herself interposed between the old Sage and the others.

"Explain," she demands, curtly.

Sesi had been sitting cross-legged on the floor wondering if they would have a sunbeam in the water-bender prison. The Non-Binary Water Bender of the Southern Water Tribe had a slight grin on their face as they stared up at the sunbeam with their brilliant emerald green eyes, their hands casting shadows on the ground, the light shining off of their snow-white hair and tan skin. They wore a deep gold hooded shaw with red trim over a simple red sleeveless tunic, with red baggy pants cuffed at the ankles with gold-colored cuffs, a black and gold belt, and a set of leather sandals. Naturally, being from the south pole, Sesi felt way underdressed, and despite the light clothing still felt uncomfortable in the tropical warmth of the Fire Nation. They felt naked and unprotected without their usual coats and gear, particularly their healing kit and water skin.

The Water Bender suspected they would not have such amenities given the stories they had been told but they had normalized over their young life to just live in the moment and take what they could in the current situation. Sesi had learned to survive very difficult times over their 22 years of life, they had faith that they would just learn to take what they could to survive and be happy with that.

The grin melted away when they heard the door open and they turned their emerald gaze upon the newcomer. Sesi had no concept of who or what they were, glancing at their two comrades to see what their reaction was.

Sesi had stood up when the Fire Sage mentioned something about escaping, they glanced sidelong at Yuza's short question and spoke up.

"If we are getting a chance to escape we should not tarry long, no?"

"You make a good point." Niuan says to Sesi once he's unlocked the cell, before turning to look at Yuza. "Still, I suppose your companion at least deserves reason to consider trusting me."

He exhales and reaches into his pack, taking out Sesi's waterskin and healing kit and then handing them to the Waterbender. "For years, I served my country and Fire Lord loyally. For years, I believed the story that we were making the world a better place with our presence, and that the other nations were fools to resist our conquest. But during our tour of the colonies, I saw the truth. The people we rule fear and hate us. We enrich ourselves by taking from them as we please. We're considered nothing but tyrants and murderers outside of the Fire Islands. And I...I want no further part of that."

He then takes out the scroll the three of you tried to steal. The scroll detailing the true reasoning behind Fire Lord Sozin's decision to wipe out the Air Nomads nearly one century ago.

"I know that you tried to steal this from the Dragonbone Catacombs, so I'm assuming that you're not fans of the Fire Nation either. I need your help in escaping from the capital; I fear that I'm too old to do so on my own now."

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Yuza

Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Last edited:
"He's not lying," declares Yuza quietly. If you're too told to escape with the authority of a Sage under no particular suspicion, you're too old to escape with three known criminals under active pursuit. She nods to Sesi, "We go." She opens the door a crack and listens carefully for the sound of any guards in the hallway outside. I hope you know what you're doing, old man. You've brought a great deal of scrutiny down on your escape attempt. If you don't have a use for us, you should never have come here. That use had better not be 'distraction'.

If she hears nothing, she proceeds to slowly stick her head out to look both ways before gesturing for everyone to follow and setting out at a brisk walk - to run would only invite attention. As she walks she addresses Sage Niuan, or anyone, really, without turning, "Plan?"

Sesi takes the offered gear gratefully, shouldering their satchel of healing and other gear with a strap across their body and placing the water skin on their belt hidden under their shawl.

"Thank you, and thank you for the explanation even though I do not know who you are good sir, even though my friends seem to recognize you by the looks on their faces. I am Sesi. As my friend asked, do you have any possible ways out of here and out of the city? "

They then took the offered scroll and started to look at it while talking, their green eyes glancing up at the elder with respect periodically as they scanned the scroll before closing it and holding it out, silently asking their comrades with a look if they should put it in their satchel or if one of them wanted to carry it.

Sesi thought that the elder may have some ways out of the city different than what they already had planned and wanted to hear what the old man had in mind.

Emerging into a curved corridor that serves to connect all the cells here, you see no guards, and begin moving towards a door situated at the corridor's end.

Niuan nods his head as the group walks. "To start with, we need to get out of this crater and down into Harbor City." he says. "I have a friend - Sun Po - who operates a merchant fleet from within the capital. For the right price, she'll be willing to smuggle us out of the city on one of her boats. There's a festival taking place today to celebrate the anniversary of the Fire Lord's coronation. We can use that as cover to get to Sun Po's offices, and then the docks."

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Yuza

Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

So, the old man has no plan. Yuza steels herself for a hard fight. Perhaps an impossible fight. An impossible fight is a significant upgrade over no chance at all. Focus on that. She nods, "So. Quiet and then loud. Be ready." She listens briefly at the door, then opens it and sweeps through, advancing towards the main gate. It's only a matter of time before they run into guards. And there will be no end to them once they start.

Zaran sat at the corner of the cell eyes closed, seemingly resting. Rather, he was focusing on breathing exercises just to stay on top of bending fundamentals when the Fire Sage arrived. This offer was a bit too convenient, too easy to sit well with him after only recently being arrested.

He took the scroll to keep on his person. "In for a coin in for a talent." He sighed, knowing this escape wouldn't change that he and Yuza were going to have to find a new home for the time being. "The faster we can get in disguise the better. We didn't do this to start street brawls with city officials after all. We'll have to worry about the aftermath later."

Sesi thought a bit, there green eyes looking away a moment pondering while they walked, and then they asked the three fire nation citizens present: the Fire Sage, Yuza, and Zaran.

“So what is the deal with this festival, are there any traditions that we can use to blend in? Is there something like a dancing dragon costume we can all go and use to entertain people as well as not get any attention and make our way through to the docks? Or something similar? Some sort of costumes or masks worn for the celebration that would enable us to blend in?”

Niuan nods his head thoughtfully. "We do indeed use giant dragon puppets during the celebrations. Obtaining one would certainly allow us to move about unidentified." he says, before the four of you step through the door and into another, wider corridor. Metal beams supporting the structure above are dotted along the walls and ceiling, and at the end of this corridor you see a large set of double doors that presumably lead outside of the building.

Niuan points towards the double doors. "This way. Once we get into the prison courtyard, we'll be able to scale the walls and get out into Hari Bulkan proper."

The group barely has time to take a few steps down the corridor before hearing footsteps up ahead. Given your circumstances, the only obvious conclusion is that a guard patrol is about to emerge into the corridor in front of you.

What do you do? If you want to hide, the support beams are large enough to conceal you from whoever's approaching until they go past you. Or you can go back into the corridor you just exited. And of course, you can always opt to confront whoever's about to step into the corridor.

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Yuza

Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Yuza nods. From no plan to too many plans. Disguises first. Parade dragons later. As she hears footsteps approaching the corner she holds up a hand to indicate silence, then makes prearranged hand gestures to indicate 'hide' and 'ambush'. Those uniforms might not fit perfectly, but no one looks too closely at what a Sage is doing if they know what's good for them.

She snuffs out the closest brazier with a sharp gesture of rebuke and bodily steers the old sage behind a beam. Coordinating an ambush in a dark alley, redolent of fear and sweat and offal? She's done this dozens of times. It comes as easily as breathing, and given the smell is about as pleasant.

She concentrates, visualizing her victory. First control the breath, then the world. This must be flawless, for a single mistake will end the second chance the Sage has given her. At the opportune moment she slips out behind the trailing guard and channels all her perfectly controlled fear into a clean blow to the back of the neck, her anger rousing the guttering brazier to a brilliant blaze to blind the rest while using the guard's interposed body to shield her eyes, signalling the others to strike.

Yuza is aiming to render the patrol unconscious and steal their uniforms. She's going to Rely on Her Skills and Training. I'm also going to use I'm a People Person to retroactively observe the Sage and Sesi interacting, just to see if I can squeeze out an extra bonus.

2d6+3 for both.
IAPP: 6+3=9 - Yuza will ask if the Sage is lying, and determine he is not. She resolves to trust him as he has given them some small chance to salvage the ruins of their plan. She takes +1 Forward for helping the Sage escape.
RST: 6+3+1=10 (or 9, if you rule the +1 forward doesn't apply.)

Last edited:
Four guards - two carrying spears, the others unarmed - come past where Yuza and Niuan are hidden. As the three in the front yelp in surprise at the brazier's sudden flareup, the one at the back - an unarmed woman - collapses to the floor, courtesy of Yuza's blow.

Yeah, I'll say that the +1 applies to your second roll. And yeah, if you want to do a uniform grab, I'll go ahead and have there be four guards in the patrol. I hadn't actually planned for there to be that many, but hey, "Ask questions and let your players answer" is one of the guidelines here.

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Yuza

Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Last edited:
Sesi initially went to hide but then saw Yuza move to attack and then turned, opening their waterskin with one hand and spinning drawing out a long training stream of water, which seemed to harden into a comet-like blunt ball of ice to strike at one of the lead guards while spinning almost as if dancing, and ending into a crescent kick, ready to bring the ball of ice around again in his dance.

Rely on your Skills and Training = 2D6-1 = 5-1 =4

FAILURE

Brace for the hard move...

Zaran had opted for concealment behind a column but preferred not to stir up more of a fight than necessary. These people were still fire nation folks doing their jobs same as anyone else. His facial expression soured at the prospect of an ambush. No point arguing now. He thought as the flash went off. In sudden exhalation he leaped upward with a short burst of flame at his feet, taking to the air to avoid what would normally be their line of sight. He turned about when his brief flight reached its apex, now moving into a wheeling kick hurling a streaming plume of fire down as he landed.

Niuan stays back and gives a little grimace as the violence takes place.

"Forgive me. I can accept that such measures may be necessary for our escape to succeed, but that doesn't mean I'm fond of them." he says, before moving towards the guards and grabbing a set of keys from the belt of one. "Come. We should get them out of sight before they come to."

Between the four of you, it doesn't take long to drag the four guards into an empty cell, strip them of their clothes, and then bind them with their own cuffs. Niuan locks them in the cell, and the four of you change into their uniforms. As Yuza feared, they don't fit perfectly, but it's still more than enough for all of you - even Sesi - to escape casual discovery.

"With these disguises, we can likely leave through the front gate of this prison, instead of scaling the wall." Niuan suggests.

Do you want to leave now? Or stay in the prison a bit longer?

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Yuza

Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

Yuza takes the black metal clips out of her long red hair as she bundles it up under the helmet, and tucks her jewelry inside her armour. At Zaran's look of distaste and the Sage's complaints Yuza gives a flat look. "You chose to walk a hard path. If you aren't strong enough, turn us in to your father and beg forgiveness." You asked for disguises. You have them. Next time be more specific. She looks to Sesi, expecting support - they may have a bleeding heart, but they appear to have no illusions about the stakes, or the consequences of failure. She doesn't think Sesi for one will lose any sleep over inflicting a few headaches to buy their way out of prison. Flames forbid she doesn't help every passing street urchin, though.

She arches an eyebrow at Niuan as he struggles with a cuirass, observing dryly, "Wise one. You are allowed to leave this prison. We are guarding you."

She grabs a spear and forms up behind Zaran. The time for blows to the back of heads in the dark is passed. A silver tongue will decide the day now.

Niuan shakes his head, while looking like he wants to kick himself over Yuza's assumption. "If I could leave this prison freely, do you think I'd need your help getting out of the capital?" he asks. "My fellow sages learned of my change of heart and had me confined to my quarters at the High Temple. I'm as much a criminal in the eyes of the Fire Lord as you three are right now."

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Yuza

Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

"Strength isn't about beating others because you can, but knowing when to use force and when not to. Pretending otherwise is why our leaders had to bury their shame." Zaran said in a dry tired voice. "Ultimately this was unnecessary but harmless. Still, being dressed as guards is markedly more conspicuous than suits our purpose. We'll change into street clothes in town and leave these behind. The dragon puppets may also draw far more attention than a mere hat." He said as he placed the helmet on his head. " On the bright side, thanks to this the authorities will likely be looking for us within a patrol, but that's all the more reason to change again even if it's annoying." Thinking ahead, he turned to Niuan. "Speaking of once we're down there, how much time do we have to meet this friend of yours? She doesn't know we're coming yet does she?"

Last edited:
Thinking ahead, he turned to Niuan. "Speaking of once we're down there, how much time do we have to meet this friend of yours? She doesn't know we're coming yet does she?"
"She is well-connected in regards to the nobility here, so it might be that she's already heard a rumour of my arrest. In any case, the news will surely have spread throughout Harbor City by afternoon." answers Niuan. "As for how much time we have, before anything else, we need to be out of the capital by nightfall. The other Fire Sages will not want the contents of this scroll to spread any further than they already have; while the city needs to be kept open to accommodate festival-goers and merchant traders, they'll be able to put the place on lockdown after the evening's end."

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Sesi

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance:

Yuza

Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
Balance:

The ice ball orbiting Sesi, turned back into water and then flowed back into their waterskin as they recapped it and hid it back under their shaw. They helped the others carry the guards over. They glanced from Yuza to Zaran to the Sage regarding the reactions to their attack. "They would not have held back against a water bender, and I prefer to practice mercy, yes unconscious is mercy, as I do not want to become like those who attack and destroy my people, I like to think I am better than that, and I do realize that not all Fire Benders are bad. Sadly I doubt that this experience will cause them to have a change of heart. Nonetheless.."

Sesi knelt by the four unconscious guards, checking them over to make sure they were not seriously hurt, before picking a guard close to their size and grabbing their long tunic, shirt, and helm, and putting on the gear. This was not the first Fire Nation Guard outfit that Sesi had taken before. Adjusting the helmet, Sesi looked at the party.

"I agree with Zaran that we should ditch these uniforms once we get out and onto the streets, our street wear should blend in sufficiently at least in the present time. So how are we to meet up with this friend of yours?"

Last edited:
Yuza pointedly does not cast her eyes heavensward. He probably thinks sneaking out of the family compound at night to party can't possibly be any harder than escaping a prison. Flames preserve us from a noble boy armed with a nice hat. She snorts laughter at Sesi's observation they haven't won over the hearts of their captors. Most interesting, though, is the Sage's revelation, which sends her eyebrows heavensward in shock and no small amount of admiration. "You escaped from house arrest in the High Temple alone? And then broke into a prison? How?" This man is full of surprises.

"No, I don't think it will either," Zaran replied in agreement, letting go of the argument. "Still, that's why we're here though. To help the people confront the truth and hopefully choose a better path forward."

He turned to Niuan and Yuza to consider the question. "I'm not so sure Niuan. Information doesn't always travel quickly and rarely accurately. Perhaps the Fire Sages chose to keep the arrest an internal matter as well. If for once, political posturing is making our lives easier, it'd be a nice change of pace being on the other side of the nuisance... But with our luck I doubt it..." Zaran said with a scowl as realism set in. "Regardless, I agree. The less time we waste, the better."

Last edited:
"I agree with Zaran that we should ditch these uniforms once we get out and onto the streets, our street wear should blend in sufficiently at least in the present time. So how are we to meet up with this friend of yours?"
"Sun Po's offices are located within Harbor City, overlooking the main harbor. She'll be working there for most of the day."

"You escaped from house arrest in the High Temple alone? And then broke into a prison? How?"
"I've been friends with one of the guards at the High Temple for years, and he wasn't very happy about my imprisonment either. I used a grappling hook to scale the wall while avoiding the patrols on top of it. After that, it was just a matter of hiding from the guards and finding out where the three of you were imprisoned."

"Regardless, I agree. The less time we waste, the better."
Niuan nods. "This way."

As the rogue sage had hoped, the stolen uniforms are enough to get the four of you past the guards at the prison gates. Walking past, you can see that the prison is built right next to the side of a large volcanic crater, most of which looks to be taken up by the neighborhood of Hari Bulkan ahead.

Once out of sight of the guards, Niuan leads you towards a cave within the crater's side. As he explains, it leads to a little known underground route that will allow the group to bypass the heavily guarded and fortified "official" pathway between Hari Bulkan and the rest of the capital, and get into Harbor City without fear of running into anyone. The route turns out to go through a borderline labyrinth of caverns and natural tunnels; without the sage's guidance, you'd likely become hopelessly lost within a matter of minutes.

You all feel the route take you down and deep into the earth as you walk for what seems like hours, before the warm light of the morning sun is there to greet you as you emerge out through the mouth of another cave, the streets and buildings of Harbor City stretching out before you. A couple of people are about, but the streets are largely quiet at this early hour, and it doesn't take long for you to find a place where you can ditch your stolen uniforms and change back into your street attire.

What do you all want to do now?

Clock: [X][_][_][_] (Morning)

Zaran​

Conditions:
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]

Balance: