• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Forbidden Scroll Characters

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

jaydude

Five Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Inciting Incident:
Last night, your group broke into the Dragonbone Catacombs - the burial grounds of past Fire Lords - and stole a scroll containing Fire Nation history yet undoctored by propaganda. They were caught before they could escape the catacombs, and imprisoned in a jail within Hari Bulkan (a residential district containing the Royal Palace and the homes of various Fire Nation elite).

Character Creation Notes:
  • All playbooks are available for use. I'll go ahead and provide details for the ten base playbooks below.
  • This game takes place during the Hundred Year War Era, that is, prior to the return of Aang from the iceberg. So no metalbending, and no Airbenders/Air Nomads.
  • As I mentioned in the interest check, all characters start off with two mastered techniques instead of one mastered and one learned, alongside any additional mastered techniques from their playbook.
  • The Adamant will fix the world, even if it means breaking all the rules. Play the Adamant if you want to contend with what “doing right” means in a complicated world.
  • The Bold fights to live up to their self-image and earn others’ trust and confidence. Play the Bold if you want to build your reputation and leadership skills.
  • The Guardian defends someone close to them, steadfast and watchful. Play the Guardian if you want to be the first to see danger coming and the last line of defense.
  • The Hammer is strong, tough, and looking for a deserving face to punch. Play the Hammer if you want to grapple with what force can and can’t solve.
  • The Icon comes from an ancient tradition and inherits some serious standards to live up to. Play the Icon if you want to be torn between your heart and your duty.
  • The Idealist has a past, full of suffering and tragedy, that strengthened their beliefs. Play the Idealist if you want to awaken the hope in everyone around you.
  • The Pillar is an experienced team player and leader of a famous group of warriors. Play the Pillar if you want to be a savvy tactician who binds the team together.
  • The Prodigy not only excels at their training, but has taken it even beyond their masters’ teachings. Play the Prodigy if you want to stretch the limits of your training and abilities.
  • The Rogue is a rule-breaker, a joker, a delinquent—a figure on the fringes who snipes at the people in charge. Play the Rogue if you like the idea of being a troublemaker.
  • The Successor comes from a powerful, tarnished lineage. Play the Successor if you want to struggle against your lineage as it threatens to draw you in.
  • You are all skilled martial artists. Regardless of your training, every one of you is a skilled martial artist prepared to spar and scuffle with competent opponents. Even companions who focus on technology have taken some self defense classes and can handle themselves in a fight. Nearly every corner of the Avatarverse is filled with people who have some degree of training—even if some of those people are nonbenders—but all of the PCs are particularly skilled and capable.
  • You have all answered the call willingly. You might have been pressured to take on the role of a hero (or taken on the role because you feel guilty about your past actions), but you have chosen to be a part of the team. That’s why your team won’t fracture or collapse at the first conflict—one way or another, you want to be here fulfilling your group’s purpose with your fellow companions.
  • You aren’t killers or villains. You’re a team of young heroes. You might have made mistakes or even hurt people in the past. But you aren’t killers or villains; you don’t solve problems by hurting people without regard for the consequences. If your team feels they need to take more drastic action—like killing a dangerous villain to save lives—you might grapple with the complexities of killing as a solution to difficult problems. But so far, none of you have crossed that line or gone down that dark path.
  • You are friendly! While some of the other companions might give you a headache or make you roll your eyes at their silly antics, you are all friendly with each other. You might have only met during the inciting incident or still be learning about each other, but you know your adventures will draw you closer. It’s okay to be rivals with a teammate—or even a bit jealous of them sometimes—but you all are closer to friends than not. If ever your character comes to believe they are entirely at odds with the other PCs—or perhaps even bitter enemies or foes—that’s a sign that it might be time for you to make a new companion who fits in better with the group.
  • You are still growing and learning. All of the heroes of Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game—regardless of age—are people who are still learning who they are and what they care about. Your two balance principles are in tension because you haven’t quite decided what you care about most, and your adventures are in part about discovering what truly matters to you!

Attachments

• Core Playbooks.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Character Sheet Template​

Code:
[TABS]
[TAB Background]
[B]Name:[/B] (Self-explanatory)
[B]Playbook:[/B] (Self-explanatory)

[B]Training:[/B] (Choose one from Waterbending, Earthbending, Firebending, Airbending, Weapons and Technology)
[B]Fighting Style:[/B] (This doesn't have to be more than just a short phrase or a rough description; it's just something than makes your character different from others with the same training)
[B]Background:[/B] (Choose up to two from Military, Monastic, Outlaw, Privileged, Urban and Wilderness)
[B]Hometown:[/B] (Either a canon location from the Avatarverse that exists during this era, or a homebrew one)
[B]Demeanor:[/B] (Each Playbook has six demeanors that complement it; you can pick one or more of these, or come up with your own)
[B]Look:[/B] (You don't need much more than their most noticeable features, but feel free to go nuts. If you decide to use image claims, please use ones of characters who wouldn't look completely out of place in the Avatarverse)

[B]History:[/B] (Each playbook comes with five questions, the answers of which explain how they came to be who they are today, and why they have this particular playbook. As long as you provide them, you can pretty much write out the history however you like. The questions are generally along the lines of the following.)
[LIST]
[*]The first question concerns your character’s motivation— why they act as they do and what’s most important to them.
[*]The next two questions are about the non-player characters (NPCs) important to you. The GM plays these characters, so if you get stuck, ask them for suggestions.
[*]The fourth question is about an object or symbol that belongs to your character—something really important to them, like Avatar Kyoshi’s makeup or Katara’s necklace.
[*]The fifth question is about why you’re committed to the group—why you choose to be here, with these companions, pursuing the group’s purpose. Make sure to use this connection to explain your character’s attachment to the group focus.
[/LIST]

[B]Connections:[/B] (Two of these, each determined by your Playbook.)
[LIST]
[*] Connection #1
[*] Connection #2
[/LIST]
[/TAB]
[TAB Conflict Stats]
[B]Stats:[/B] (Determined by Playbook, but you can add a single point to one of them during CC)
Creativity:
Focus:
Harmony:
Passion:

[B]Fatigue:[/B] [_][_][_][_][_] (Starts at zero)

[B]Conditions:[/B] (All start unmarked)
Afraid [_]
Angry [_]
Guilty [_]
Insecure [_]
Troubled [_]
[B]Balance:[/B] (Both Balance and Center start in the middle of the graph. Your Balance and Center are represented by "B" and "{_}" respectively here here.)
Principle #1 - (_)-(_)-(_)-{B}-(_)-(_)-(_) - Principle #2

[B]Moment of Balance:[/B] (Determined by Playbook)
[/TAB]
[TAB Playbook]
Playbook Feature: (Determined by Playbook)

Moves: (Pick two from your Playbook)
[LIST]
[*] Move #1
[*] Move #2
[/LIST]
[/TAB]
[TAB Techniques]
(Start with one Mastered Technique, and one Learned Technique. For each Technique, specify what approach it is - Defend and Maneuvre, Advance and Attack or Evade and Observe - and whether it's Learned, Practiced or Mastered)
[/TAB]
[TAB Character Advancement]
(All of these start unmarked.)

Growth: [_][_][_][_]

Growth Question: (Determined by Playbook)

Growth Advancements:
Take a new move from your playbook: [_][_]
Take a new move from another playbook: [_][_]
Raise a stat by +1 (maximum of +2 in any given stat): [_][_]
Shift your center one step: [_][_]
Unlock your Moment of Balance: [_][_]
[/TAB]
[TABS]

• Name: Daishu Zaran
    Playbook: Successor

Training: Firebending
    Fighting Style: Dragon fire
    Background: Privileged, Military
    Hometown: Daishu territory
    Demeanor: Relaxed
    Look: Dark windswept hair and pale blue eyes. Somewhat tall, with a lean fit build.

History:
    • Who is the current head of your lineage? How do you love and frustrate each other?
    "My father, Baran, leads our clan. He is loyal and dutiful, but he is sometimes numb to the humanity of our enemies and even some of his lessers. I don't think he realizes how close he is to dishonorable conduct. Could be that he's scarred from being at war this long, or maybe he's just following orders. Either way, I don't like it. We should be better."

• What close member of your lineage wants to revolutionize it?
    "My aunt, Naoba. She thinks we've been too brutish for those of our station and wants us to fit in with the other clan bigwigs. Not too much of a fan of this either."

• What do you carry that reminds you of the place most associated with your lineage?
    "A cut obsidian stone pendant."

• What part of your lineage’s identity is most important and valuable to you as a person?
    "That we once lived in harmony with dragons."

• Why are you committed to this group or purpose?
    "I want to preserve my clan's honor, even if I don't feel our nation always acts honorably."

Tainted Past
    Domain that is source of Lineage's power: Military Command
    Domain that their extending into: High Society

Lineage Resources
    Introductions and connections
    • cold hard cash

Connections:
    Sesi has major concerns, fears, or grievances with my lineage—and with me, by proxy.
    Yuza seems free of their past in a way I wish I could let go of mine; hearing them talk about the future feels amazing!

Last edited:

• Name: Sesi of the Southern Water Tribe (They/Them)
    Playbook: The Idealist

Training:
    Water Bending
    Fighting Style: Circular and Defensive Water Bending
    Background: Wilderness and Outlaw
    Hometown: Village
    Demeanor: Lonely, Compassionate, Earnest
    Look: Non-Binary, is a tall, long-limbed, thin person with striking bright green eyes, with shoulder-length straight hair that is bright white in color, usually tied up in a top not.

History:

What tragedy befell you at a young age?
    The Fire Nation Raided their village when they were small, they were hidden while all the water benders were rounded up and executed in front of the village. The village fought back and for doing so the village was annihilated. Sesi survived and survived alone for several weeks out in the tundra and seas.

Who do you hold most responsible for the tragedy? Why? Captain Ji of the Fire Nation Navy was a former Merchant who traded with Sesi's village and tribe. Ji was a childhood friend of Sesi's father and had tried to pursue Sesi's mother, only for Ji to get jealous when Sesi's mother spurned his interest and marry Sesi's father. Ji joined the Navy and got his own command under Zhao, an old family friend. He returned to not only kill Sesi's father, who was a water bender, but also Sesi's mother.

Who helped you through your grief? What did they teach you? Akta, Sesi's aunt, from a neighboring village, helped Sesi with their grief and taught them how to heal with water bending.

What symbol, heirloom, or mark do you carry to remind you of what you lost? The cold, shock, and grief caused Sesi's hair to turn white.

Why are you committed to this group or purpose? Sesi is trying to understand who and what is at the center of the conflict that killed his family and tribe.

Connections: (Two of these, each determined by your Playbook.)
    • I recognize some of the pain I have felt inside of
      Yuza ; I’m going to try to help them.
    • Zuran frustrates me so much when they
      act without thinking about the consequences!

Last edited:

• Name: Daishu Hirai Yuza
    Playbook: The Razor

Training: Fire Bending
    Fighting Style: Tempered Soul Style
    Background: Urban, Privileged
    Hometown: Daishu family compound
    Demeanor: Imperious
    Look:

History:

• Why were you chosen to be honed, perfected, and used by your masters?
      • While in an orphanage for children of dead soldiers from Daishu lands, I severely injured a bully and refused to admit responsibility - or speak at all - even under severe corporal punishment. The Hirai branch family observers found these admirable qualities, and made me a provisional ward.
    • Who was the former master you were closest to?
      • Master Sarujin was cold but never unfair, and taught me the iron self control that was my only shield from the pain inflicted by other instructors. They even, on rare occasions, praised me.
    • Who helped give you the will you needed to break with your masters and be something more?
      • Cousin Cai, Naoba's daughter, who had me reassigned to a more 'civilized' task: protecting Cousin Zaran. He needs it, but his ideas are... interesting.
    • What totem of your masters can you not bring yourself to throw away?
      • Hair clips forged from molten black iron scraps recovered from the gate of Xinhua Fortress, stamped with the Daishu crest. Earrings made from polished bronze fragments of the head of the shattered spear of the peasant rebel Wang Jiayin, partially melted. A brooch made from the pommel of the traitor Zhang Xianzhong's famous blade, scorched. I earned the name Daishu, and in my wake left ashes, blood, and fear.
    • Why are you committed to this group or purpose?
      • I am Hirai. was forged to serve as a spear in the hands of the Daishu main branch, to pierce unerringly and unflinchingly the hearts of their enemies. The thing about weapons is, once you make one and put it in someone's hands, you never know where they'll strike. I hope Zaran strikes in a new direction.

Connections: (Two of these, each determined by your Playbook.)
    • Sesi seems to be able to connect to other people openly, freely, and easily. I wish they would show me how.
    • I see Zaran as lacking control. Maybe I can help hone them, at least a little bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back