Chitchat Any regrets?

Not talking to my father about death before he died. He said to me, "I'm dying," and all I could say in reply was, "Not today."  He wanted to talk about it and I didn't know how. He didn't want to press the subject because I assume he wanted to protect me. But no one else in the family was brave enough to do it when he needed it most. 

And at another point, I thought I was doing him an act of kindness when he was in the nursing home for physical rehab-- I called him, talked with him for a short time. He was on morphine for his pain and sounded so tired I told him I'd let him get some sleep, but he wanted to talk longer. I insisted on him getting his rest and we hung up. Now I know he wanted me to be there for him and I wasn't. 

And I can never get that night back. 

That's what regret is. 

1 minute ago, CastoffCaptain said:

Not talking to my father about death before he died. He said to me, "I'm dying," and all I could say in reply was, "Not today."  He wanted to talk about it and I didn't know how. He didn't want to press the subject because I assume he wanted to protect me. But no one else in the family was brave enough to do it when he needed it most. 

And at another point, I thought I was doing him an act of kindness when he was in the nursing home for physical rehab-- I called him, talked with him for a short time. He was on morphine for his pain and sounded so tired I told him I'd let him get some sleep, but he wanted to talk longer. I insisted on him getting his rest and we hung up. Now I know he wanted me to be there for him and I wasn't. 

And I can never get that night back. 

That's what regret is. 

I'm really sorry to hear that. Don't beat yourself up over it - You didn't know how to talk about it, as you said. Hope you're doing alright, my friend.

1) Not going out with friends more often. 

2) Being less adventurous in restaurants than I'd like. 

3) Eating fish flavored sushi even though I'm not fond of it.

4) Not diving off the 60 footer when I went cliff diving.

I don't really have many regrets, just decisions that I imagine what-ifs for. What if I'd chosen differently somewhere along the line. 

My biggest regrets would have to be... Not taking proper care of myself through highschool. And letting toxic relationships carry on too long. 

I regret closing myself off from the world as much as I possibly could in my past.

I regret all of my cynicism and anger that drove me before. Really blinded me to a lot of things.

I regret just...not really appreciating my father more while he was alive. He was a great man who struggled with his own problems alone because he had no one either able or willing to help him. I didn't realize how difficult everything must have been for him until after he was gone. I did manage to patch things up with him before his passing, but I know I could have done more.

I regret trying to help someone so desperately, for so long, who is really just a terrible human being. Even so, they're going through some heavy stuff right now and I'm putting forth a half-hearted effort to support them to a lesser degree. They're probably the worst thing to ever happen to me and everyone around me, but if they're going to be biting it soon I just...can't. I don't have it in me to turn away.

I regret not being able to 'save' a lot of people who have passed, which I guess is a common thing. I've seen some unfortunate stuff. Just boils down to "what-ifs" in the end, but there are a lot and it's hard to put aside sometimes.

I regret allowing myself to become disconnected from my dad's side of the family. Trying to fix that now. They're all good people, and honestly I don't really feel worthy of their acceptance.

Can probably think of more. I have a lot. Just gonna lay it bare here. I'm trying really hard to move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have many serious regrets, but the less serious ones make for funny stories.

In the first semester of 7th grade I had to read "Dr.Jeykll and Mr.Hyde". What I'm about to tell you happened after we finished reading the book and after we had taken a quiz on it. I got the highest grade in the class on the grade and I screamed out "I didn't even read the book!". Now in my haste I misspoke. I did read the book, but I didn't finish the book and I had to later correct myself. But, it turns out the part that I didn't read was only a recap of the book's events and so it didn't even matter that I hadn't read it. I had made a fool out of myself for no reason.

I don't really regret it, and it doesn't bother me besides those few times I remember that happening and then flush with embarrassment. Really I regret only because I'm embarrassed by it now.

I regret that car wreck in 2013, regret some of the friends I still try to maintain relationships with, regret the influence high school antics had over me, regret the love I had in my first year of college, regret the friend and ex who went against me and almost had sex (they did some kinky shit while I still dated that ex), I regret developing apathy, anorexia, depression, and the job I had a year ago that constantly ignored me and called me a fake when I had anxiety attacks from all the stress of trying to be noticed. But then... I'm here, I'm alive, I'm becoming successful at a young age... regrets will only bring me down. What's in the past needs to stay in the past.

I regret that car wreck in 2013, regret some of the friends I still try to maintain relationships with, regret the influence high school antics had over me, regret the love I had in my first year of college, regret the friend and ex who went against me and almost had sex (they did some kinky shit while I still dated that ex), I regret developing apathy, anorexia, depression, and the job I had a year ago that constantly ignored me and called me a fake when I had anxiety attacks from all the stress of trying to be noticed. But then... I'm here, I'm alive, I'm becoming successful at a young age... regrets will only bring me down. What's in the past needs to stay in the past.

Proud of you for surviving all of this and still being here, still going, and immensely proud that despite all of the struggles, you're also becoming successful. Keep going and look after yourself. 

I was once given some advice and I share it because it helped me and might help others.

Have no regrets, each mistake has brought you to where you are now and you have the benefit of experience to not make them again.

I have so many regrets. For one thing, I got banned.another, i have yet to join another one, since no one has suggested to me an alternative superhero rp. And finally, no has replied to my email.

I'm sorry but, I'm just frustrated right now and I need some comfort.

I regret being a complete bitch to people I was in a relationship with in high school.

I'm a very selfish person in the way that if I see it will not benefit me in any way or will become toxic, I'd have no problem with ending it and hurting them in the process. If problems arose I wouldn't bother trying to fix it.

With that being said, I regret ruining a person's love they had for me and probably ruining their hopes and ideals when it came to relationships.

He truly loved me and I was with him because I was pressured by everyone around me. I didn't care for him on the same level he cared for me and after a certain problem that arose (it hit me hard and scared me to death tbh) I couldn't bring myself to even face him anymore. Ignored every call, text, confrontation... I disappeared from him without a goodbye.

I'm sure he's fine now and I absolutely am in love with the person I'm in a relationship with now but I just wish I could bring myself to just say sorry for the things I put him through. He didn't deserve it at all.

1) I regret not being comfortable to be myself for such a long part of my life.

2) Trying to live to peoples expectations.

3) Staying silent in moments that I could have been heard. Possibly could have made some great friends from this.

Not Serious

1. Not making all those sandwiches when I had the chance.

2. Not developing my taste buds fast enough at a young age so I would have a refined pallette. 

3. Falling onto the pavement multiple times. It's just a scratch wound.

Serious

1. Being a cooties asshole licker when I was 10 years old and pushed away some classmates that I would have loved to be friends.

2. Didn't managed to hook up with someone that I didn't realised was a good person until the end of a school year. 

3. Not connecting with my grandpa more before he died. 

I like the idea of not having major, life regrets. I have had a lot of bad stuff happen in life, some of it  my fault, some of it just from life being... well, life. But I find comfort in the thought that I wouldn't be the person I am today if I didn't have those experiences. So, whilst I wish things could have gone differently or maybe not happened at all, I don't straight up regret much I've done.

Some serious things I do regret; dropping out of college... that's actually the only thing I can think of. If I didn't drop out of college two years ago, I'd be in university doing a degree right now instead of stuck in college again. However, if I did that, I would have ended up doing a degree I didn't enjoy instead of finding the time to choose a degree I really can't wait to start now. So yes, I regret it, but like I said before, I wouldn't be where I am now and I'd probably be more unhappy.

If I'm going to answer this now, I'd say no. 

But at 2am on a weekday? My regrets from 3 years ago come barging through the door like 'suh dude'

I regret not being a better sister for my little brother when he was younger, and even now. I just feel like I missed an opportunity to really connect with him and bond, and now I'm afraid it's much too late for both of us.

1. Confessing to someone who didn't deserve to hear it that I loved them

2. Using other's infatuations with me as a crutch

3. Trying to be something I'm not

4. Eating the entire damn container of strawberries at once every time I buy one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back