• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern A Closet Arrangement

Why did he set himself up like this again? At the moment, it sounded like a good suggestion, but now he's going to be left alone with Marguerite for an hour. What are they even going to talk about? How are they even going to start a conversation regarding the elephant in the room? "So are we marrying or nah?" No, that's too straightforward, is it not? And way too casual, but that was merely a conversation within his mind. In any case, he now quietly seated himself on the cushions, awkwardly sitting on it which he was sure made his nervousness even more visible. At this point, he has thoroughly understood that Marguerite was clearly different from all the other girls he has been matched with before, seems to be educated and cool. Doesn't seem to be the kind of girl he can just turn down, must he find a way to do it extremely politely? Or find excuses? How to find good excuses when they basically only knew each other for hours?

As Kairat struggled with royal formalities, there was a soft knocking on the door. A butler, with a tray, two cups, and a teapot on it, proved to be a distraction for him. Major one. He looked a bit older, with a calming look on his brown eyes, a melting cute smile that he politely showed to the two of them. The butler excused himself, setting down the cups and pouring them the tea, his face leaning better in view. It's hard not to stare, not when this might be the last time Kairat ever sees him. His tanned skin seems to glow under the light, and he noticed the dimple that shows when he speaks and smiles. Gosh, so cute. He's just his type.

After Kairat stepped into the small, quiet room, Marguerite stepped stiffly in after him. The servant closed the doors behind them, clearly done with serving them for today. Even though Marguerite kept a straight face, standing in front of the cushion she was going to sit at, her heart was pounding on the inside of her chest. Did Kairat want to marry her? Or did he not? Was he interested in her? Were they going to have this marriage purely based on benefits or on taking a liking to each other? She felt oh so nervous but felt better when Kairat's anxiousness was visible. At least she wasn't showing what she was feeling as he was. She didn't know if that was a good thing or not, though.

Wait. How would Marguerite sit down with this dark yellow dress of hers? It was far too poofy, and it would prove great difficulty to try to sit the same way Kairat was. She stood there for a few moments, having the situation that they were in make her hesitate, before sitting down. Some of the dress strands would poke out from underneath the small table in front of her and the Prince of Vayrn, but what else could she do? Luckily, Kairat didn't seem to mind... or did he just not notice at all? He seemed more preoccupied in his thoughts, as if he were trying to figure out what to say. Marguerite looked at him patiently, waiting for him to start first.

Well, he never did, so they just sat there awkwardly when a knocking came onto the door. Marguerite glimpsed over the butler who came in, and unlike Kairat, she seemed unfazed by him. She simply gave a polite smile before having her thoughts turn to Aileen, her younger and only sister. Wouldn't Aileen always stare at the servants with dimples in the hallways, only to immediately say to Marguerite that she would get "someone like that" sooner than her? Seeing the butler here, with the dimple, the look of adoration Aileen would give out stuck inside her mind.

Marguerite grabbed a cup of tea that the butler had poured out of her, giving a nod of thanks. Starting to sip it, she set her eyes on Kairat again, but only to be filled with confusion. Was that... wait. WAIT. Marguerite had thought for a second that Aileen was there, based on the expression and the look in the eyes, but it was just Kairat. It was just Kairat. Why was he looking at the butler like that!? Not to mention... why did he perk up with Elijah? Why did he... why did he...!

Marguerite choked on her tea out of surprise- something that was very uncharacteristic of someone who has learned to be elegant since the day she was born- and started coughing loudly- also something very uncharacteristic of her-. She was clearly taken off guard with what she was thinking right now, and even though she and Kairat only knew each other for a few hours, he would know that she wasn't herself right now.

The butler came to her side, looking over her worriedly, asking if she was okay. She took a moment to keep her composure, clearing her throat, before grinning at the butler. She caught herself making a big smile and made a neutral expression again, saying, "I am fine. But... may Kairat and I be left alone to discuss?" She made a quick look at Kairat to see if he showed any disappointment before smiling again at the butler.

The butler nodded and agreed, taking all the things he brought it out of the room again. Immediately, as the door closed, Marguerite shot a grin at Kairat. This was the first time since his visit that she ever showed a giddy emotion to him, filled with happiness and surprise. Had Marguerite even given him a real smile before? Whatever. No, no, Marguerite, don't jump to conclusions! Hasn't your father always told you that? Given these thoughts, Marguerite calmed herself down slightly, but she couldn't help the words that came out of her mouth.

"Has Elijah and that butler been of... interest... to you?" She needed to know. She searched for any sign of embarrassment from Kairat's face, and if he gave this expression or something similar, then she would know. She said the word interest so that if Kairat was who she thought he was, he would know exactly what she was talking about right now. Gosh, how much was she risking for her to know this information? She was probably wrong... but what if she was right?

When Marguerite choked on her tea and started coughing, Kairat felt as if he has been slapped back to reality. What sweet feelings that he (secretly) experienced were dashed away and replaced with a sense of dread and worry. His worry was not just a simple worry about Marguerite's well-being, but beyond that, something of a "bigger picture". His mind raced to the worst possibilities, fears that are only soothed when she gave the butler a wide grin and assures him that she was fine, to which he gave a sigh of relief. He took his own cup of tea and sip it, the warmth seems to calm him even more, the thoughts of the cute butler no longer occupying his mind as he knew that Marguerite want to discuss something.

Just not the kind that he expected.

The young prince stiffened, his grips on the cup tightened just in time, before he could accidentally let it drop onto the floor (though the carpet might have softened its landing). He gritted his teeth, collecting whatever composure he may have as he studies his opponent, and Kairat could feel the energy that radiates from her. Has she always been this cheer? He thought that she clearly looked a lot more alive than she's ever been throughout the day. Does she find joy in questioning him? In investigating his secret? "I... I am not. He was just a beautiful creature, and beauty is something that we are all free to admire, are we not?" Kairat chooses his words carefully, flashing a smile before taking another sip as a pause. "And I must say, beauty is not something of a rarity in this kingdom, princess. Though I am confident the same could be said for our kingdom."

The few moments that Marguerite had of freedom and recklessness quickly disappeared with the prince's response and reaction. The gritting of his teeth. The careful choosing of his words. The girl's face fell like a child's would for a moment before she went back to a business mode, straightening her back. She may have just offended the prince of an important trading kingdom, all based off of her kid-like words. This day had been very uncharacteristic of hers. She couldn't just assume these things about others. Have she forgot all the lessons she learned from her father, King Hao? She straightened her facial features, and the energy died down from around her.

After Kairat was done with his talk, she gave a polite smile and answered calmly yet dully, "I deeply apologize, Prince Kairat. It seems I'm taking after the recklessness of my younger sister." A fake chuckle, with fake words that had no true meaning in her heart besides the fact that she wanted to cover up her past mistake. Fakeness to cover up the emptiness that she was now feeling that the optimistic conclusion she had on Kairat was now disproven. Hopefully he would forgive and forget, but based on his reaction, she extremely doubted it. She had to cover it up. Oh, how would her father react if he heard of her words? In a pause, she took a sip out of the cup- although not chocking on it this time- and recollected her thoughts. Lies. Lies. Think of more lies, Marguerite.

After his thoughts of beauty, she nodded her head slowly, giving another meaningless smile. She thought of her lie now. "Of course." She looked down at her cup, as if she were telling the truth, when only lies were coming out of her mouth. "I apologize for getting excited for a moment, Prince Kairat. Aileen... she had an eye for beauty as well, which may be a surprise to you if you have seen her attire." Another fake laugh. Then she died down her facial features. "I do not normally meet many others who take in an interest for beauty as she does, and I saw a look in your eyes as I usually do see in Aileen. I seemed to have cheered up when thinking that a suitor of mine may actually be similar to those I deeply care about, but I apologize if I gave the wrong idea to you. Please do not fret of it."

She gave off a dry smile now. "You are correct, though, Prince Kairat of Vayrn. There is much beauty in our kingdoms." Her eyes glazed over with a dark emotion she usually would experience with her suitors. Her eyes glazed over with annoyance. "I do not experience beauty as others would, however, so your point of view I cannot quite understand." She sipped into her teacup again as she continued. Before she started talking, though, the same emotion of bashfulness, as what was with Eleanor earlier, showed up, leaving behind the negative feelings she was expressing. "There is much beauty from your kingdom as well. It quite surprises me." If Kairat didn't know any better, he would most likely believe she was talking about him.

The look of embarrassment quickly got wiped off her face as she soon looked up at the male in front of her as she smoothly walked into her next topic. "I believe we should talk about another type of beauty, though." Her eyes looked momentarily down at the table before locking with Kairat's, if he was even looking at her. "The beauty of marriage. If I am being completely honest, dear Prince..."

What should she tell him? That she wasn't interested in him? That she would only become interested in him through only benefits of their kingdoms? "...what do you feel as though we should do about this?" Before she stated any opinions of her own, she wanted to get on the safe side and see what Kairat believed would be best for them.

Somehow, Kairat felt like he was magically cast away to the middle of a deep, dark jungle. Each step he took hesitantly, each path he took perilously, and the funny feeling of being watched constantly from behind the bushes. Is it a dangerous predator? Or something cautious? Perhaps Marguerite is something in between, her controlled gestures and carefully selected words seem to prod him, testing his thoughts and responses. It's intimidating, but in a way, he was also intrigued by it. Kairat took another sip of his tea, another gesture to buy a few seconds to reorganize himself, his gears moving again the way they should be, no longer panicked.

An idea came to his mind, one that is as if he picked up a stone and threw it toward the thick bushes and the line of trees, testing back the reaction of whatever it is that is observing him.

"Ah, such profound question." Kairat started and mulled deeply, or at least pretend to, as he already knew what answer he'd like to say. "Beauty of marriage is something different from a couple to couple, it is not? I cannot speak for others, but my parents, they are married with love within their hearts. If you have ever met them in person, you could see it from the way they looked at each other, that deep adoration from each other. It was the same with my older brother, they made a rather couple too, you might feel sick from seeing them! But my second brother... well, let's say the sense of duty is stronger than such pure raw emotion... Oh my, forgive me, for speaking at such length about such personal stories." Kairat apologized, pausing for a few moments, and with a sharp look in his eyes, he tested the princess in front of him. "I have met many princesses and noble ladies, or any other ladies of... interest. If I may say, none of them are as mesmerizing as you, princess. You are a beauty, of course, but that is not what drew me in. It is what lies inside, as a person."

Will she understand? His view on marriage, how he values her as a person... how will she respond from there?

Marguerite only seemed to watch Kairat more intensely when he seemed to relax from her words earlier, her nerves seemingly crawling up and down her spine. She felt as though she were looking into the eyes of a predator, and one wrong move of weakness would let her get eaten alive. She felt as though something dreadful was creeping up behind her, and the moment she made another mistake it would swallow her whole, leaving no hint of what made her disappear from the Earth. Maybe... is this what they called having high stress? Hm. Marguerite didn't feel this horrifying feeling with her other suitors and when they were talking about their arrangement, but then again: she didn't accuse them of liking males and didn't possibly insult them.

But did Kairat here like males? It made no sense to Marguerite, the different signs coming all at once to her. The way he stared at the butler, the way he lightened up with Elijah, the way he stiffened up at her words... perhaps he was simply more comfortable around males. There were many who were like that. It was simply natural, social interactions. Though, through Marguerite's intense look at Kairat, a hint of suspicion crept into it. A childish suspicion, really. It was like she was making sure Kairat wasn't reading her mind, that he wasn't reading the obvious assumptions going through her head. But, if Kairat could read her mind, perhaps he would understand why she assumed he took an interest in Elijah and the butler.

And then Kairat started mulling over her question. Marguerite still watched him intently, hanging onto every word that came from his lips. However, she couldn't help but feel a jealous pang in her heart when he started talking about his loving parents and brother, finding the perfect partners in their lives that made them happy. Oh, how she envied them. How she wanted to believe in true love like that. How she wanted to be young, believe in the fairy tales of the realm that had happily ever afters that ended with a Prince... er, Princess Charming. But it didn't exist. True love didn't exist. "Love" was a fake message your mind sent you when you were lonely, making you believe that you cared and others cared for you, but really... if put to the test, people put themselves above others. People will always be selfish. True love was only to make the loneliest of citizens of the Earth feel like they may have a chance to be happy, but nobody will truly be perfect for you. It would never end happily ever after.

Marguerite's eyes scanned Kairat once more. It seemed like Kairat grew up with that type of family, one believing in love (besides his second brother, of course). Marguerite's family was the complete opposite of his. Marguerite's father, King Hao, only got attracted to her mother because she was the perfect, trophy wife. The perfection of a child raiser, cleaner, and obeyer: the perfect Queen. A little cold, yes, like Marguerite, but not many outwardly flaws showing. Perhaps Queen Matilda was flattered by King Hao for him choosing her, but the only love they seemed to show was the love of benefits for their kingdoms. This "love" they had seemed to let Marguerite, Aileen, and Cadby follow quickly in their footsteps. Well- maybe not Aileen. She was a special case. But even Cadby seemed to know what "love" was.

Yet, Kairat apologized for his personal stories. Marguerite nodded respectfully at it, matching the sharp look he gave to her. She was on guard at the pause, awaiting what he had to say to her. If Marguerite were a cat, her back would have arched with fear and alarm with the compliments Kairat soon gave her. Her eyes showed these emotions, though. She was suspicious of where Kairat was going with this. When he said his final sentence- about being drawn in by the personality inside of someone- Marguerite kept staring at him as her mind was fully concentrated on finding a way to respond. So... Kaira was that sort of person, hm?

Marguerite paused for a few moments, like Kairat had done, before speaking up with a plain tone. "You are peculiar, Prince Kairat. Speaking of how you appreciate beauty one moment and then speaking of who people are on the inside the next." Maybe he would even find the subtle hint of amusement in her voice. "How strange it is, trying to find the goodness inside a person. How strange it is for people to be attracted to the acceptable parts of one's own soul. To be drawn into something like that..."

The thought was unfamiliar to Marguerite. "...isn't that what everyone tries to seek, Prince of Vayrn? Beauty is merely something that captures the eyes and the densest parts of our minds. We all try to see inside everyone. We all try to see the deepest parts of their heart, to see what lays there." She smiled. "Isn't that what makes us human on this Earth, though? To try to see the parts that others hide from us in an attempt to understand them better? Maybe that's why I am sitting here with you today." Maybe.

"But thank you for your comments about my outward beauty. Perhaps... perhaps I will be able to see more beauty in you as well." Maybe Kairat would pick up on how Marguerite didn't bother to compliment his appearance back, but said how she would perhaps see the truest parts of who he was if they got to know each other more later. As said before, Marguerite sees beauty differently than others would.

She collected her thoughts for a moment before going to what Kairat said earlier about marriage. "Our senses of duty are what define us in this world, Vayrn Prince. How can we keep on going in this cruel world if we do not believe that we are appreciated, that we are needed? If we do not do what others need of us... our existence has no purpose. How can we truly love others if we are not appreciated?" And that was how Marguerite thought of marriage. She didn't need love to exist: she needed others to need her. Everyone needs to be needed here. "But it sounds like a fairy tale, to have someone you idealize in your life love-"

A knock interrupted Marguerite from her small speech, and she widened her eyes momentarily at this. She disconnected her eye contact with the prince to turn towards the doorway, waiting for a few moments before whoever behind it went in. Again- it was the dimpled butler. Maybe Kairat would appreciate him again. He gave them enough time to speak for a little bit: that was enough, she supposed. She didn't give an exact amount of time that they needed to be left alone, after all. Marguerite nodded in formality at him, quickly turning her attention back to Prince Kairat as she opened her mouth to speak. The butler moved towards them, though, having some sort of tray with mint leaves on it, and only when he moved from the doorway did Marguerite catch the eye of a certain someone.

Black haired and brown eyed, an awkward, thin handmaid stood there. A beautiful handmaid. Her black strands of hair poked out, and she was nervously looking around the room. Her hands were on top of each other on top of her brown maid outfit, and a white cloth was tied around her black hair. She had fair skin, although a few rough patches were seen. Those weren't too obvious, though. When catching the eye of Marguerite Sikhanyiso Adelaide, she awkwardly waved before suddenly realizing that was too informal. She rushed to make a curtsy, and this inexperience that this maid obviously had even brought a laugh and a smile to Marguerite's face.

When the maid eyed the cups on the table, she hurriedly rushed over to Marguerite's side, gave another unnecessary curtsy, and voiced out, "Are you done with those, Princess Marguerite?" Her voice was so sweet that it even left a taste in Marguerite's mouth. Were all the maids here this cute?

"I-I-" Marguerite stammered out, a light pink shade encircling her face as she tried to find a good response. The smooth way she was talking earlier seemed to be nonexistent now as she struggled to find her words for the maid. The black-haired girl seemed to be oblivious, now asking Marguerite how she was feeling and if she was alright. This only further made Marguerite embarrassed as she heard her voice again. Oh, how quickly Marguerite got flustered at the cute, awkward ones. Even though she didn't want to, she couldn't help as her mouth twitched upwards. Welp.

Marguerite's answer disappointed him, in a way. It was as if seeing the reflection of his second brother, a profound and deep thought on a love that will never be attained due to duty and position, something that Kairat understood well himself due to his "circumstances". A thought began to form in his mind, that they might not be a suitable pair. Marguerite deserves someone who can love her for who she is, and while Kairat could offer her a degree of love, he will never be able to love her truly. He does not want to bind her to the same fate as her second brother, the trappings of pure political marriage. His train of thoughts was cut by the soft knocking from the door, the same one that has also cut Marguerite's sentence short, and the person that appeared next has seemed to distract him yet again.

He noticed that the butler wasn't alone this time, bringing a maid to help him, perhaps worried that he might do the same mistakes as he did with Marguerite before. Ah, so thoughtful of him! But when Kairat realized how this means he will be servicing him and him alone, a small smirk started to form on his face. "May I ask if you want another serving of tea?" The butler politely asks, his lean figure sitting on the floor at the ready beside him. When Kairat nodded, the prince watched attentively as his hands moved swiftly to take his nearly empty cup, place it down on the table, and pour down warm tea to fill it in again. If one could look at how Kairat looked at this moment, one would find that he looking like he was appreciating an art inside a museum, a statue of the angels or Gods or other statues of beauty.

"Princess Marguerite?"

"A-ah-"

Marguerite didn't even know she was staring until she was put on the spot, snapping her attention back into planet Earth. A sudden spotlight seemed to be shined on her, showing the minor details that she could not focus on before: the dilation in her eyes, the flush in her cheeks, and the irresistible smile on her lips. It was not until after a few moments that she felt her senses rise again, a new self-doubt taking over her as she flickered her eyes over to Kairat. She suddenly felt an extreme flash of uncomfortableness with acting this way around her suitor. If he connected the dots, after all, what would he think?

Fortunately, Kairat already seemed preoccupied with communicating to the butler. ...a different way, for her own case, but he certainly wasn't paying attention to either of the female citizens in the room. That same look was on his face: a glance of pure interest and observation. A look that showed he was looking at something special, something that he wanted to look at. Marguerite squinted at him suspiciously, as if trying to understand the emotions and thoughts the Vayrn prince had but was utterly interrupted by the girl nearby.

"Miss?"

"Oh!" The walls of Marguerite Adelaide came crashing down once again at the candy voice, striking her right where her heart would beat. Kairat got lost in the waves of her thoughts as her attention shifted, landing on the maid who was speaking to her now. Fidgeting hands were now found on the woman, as if all the giddy energy inside of her had to be expressed somehow. Her right hand picked at her puffy, yellow dress, and she was choosing whether to look into the maid's eyes or on the ground. "You... you may take it."

The awkward, black-haired girl nodded contentedly, taking the cup from the table into her palms. While Marguerite may have wanted more tea, she didn't exactly get enough courage to say 'no' to this maid. The brown-eyed one then grabbed some sort of towel from the tray, an antique plate, and placed multiple mint leaves on this plate. She wrapped the plate with the towel, and ever so gingerly placed it in the center of the table.

Marguerite looked at the plate carefully, as if not believing this maid touched it, before making up her mind on where to look. A complicated expression came over her as she stared at the ground, tips of her ears red to agree with her emotions. The fiddling of her hands got worse as the maid stood near the door, awaiting the butler to be done pouring his tea and the prince to be done examining him.

The calm atmosphere came nowhere close to what Marguerite was feeling inside.

Kairat couldn't believe what he was looking at. Of course, he was referring to the angelic figure before his eyes, who sweetly ask whether he requires another cup of tea or if that's fine and he could take the cup away, polite caretaking that he wish could extend beyond mere duties. But there was something else, something much more significant.

It was way much more apparent than before and so obvious, that he felt like seeing a self in the mirror. The way Marguerite seemed to lose herself before the maid, the -- he can't believe he is using this word-- heartstruck way she looked at the girl. Could it be? Could it be just what he is thinking? He was shocked, though not for long, as the butler brought him back to reality, and a slight look of concern appears on his expression. Kairat wrestled himself back to control, reminding himself that he still is a royal guest and must act properly, or else an odd rumor might spread around among the maids and butlers around. "Yes, you may take it. It was a fine cup of tea, thank you." Kairat made sure to flash a smile to reassure, which seemed to work.

The butler quickly made his way toward the door, where the maid was waiting for him, and once they stood side-by-side the two of them bowed their way and slowly closed the door from the outside. And thus the two of them are left alone together again, but Kairat could feel that the conversation is about to move to a different tune, no-- he'll make sure of it. The gears of his brain are still turning, trying to find the best way to suggest the idea, but for now...

"It's incredible how this kingdom is filled with many beautiful people, male and female both." Kariat started. "I see that the gods have been kind to this land, just as how they had with my kingdom, hahaha~!" That laughter sounded so fake, that he almost cringed, but perhaps it will allow Marguerite to catch his hints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back