• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Wild, Wild West Coast: A Californian Settler RP

holyman1998

The Year is 1849, and the Land of Alta California has freshly been annexed. While this chunk of the West Coast may seem like a sparse, backwater land, there's a shiny incentive that is attracting settlers and miners by the droves...

GOLD!

You are playing as one of the thousands of settlers and prospectors setting forth to achieve their dreams. Will you find Gold before it's all dried up? Will you find a home for future generations to live and flourish in? Or will you get lost in the wanderlust and never come back? The journey is yours to take! Hop on a boat and discover a new life in California Today!

Spots: Open!
Character Limit: Endless! Bring a whole settler family if you have to!
Deadline: January 31st, 2021
Theme: Gold Rush California/Western

Last edited:
I probably can't join but I'm interested.

I want to ask questions. Where will the ship come from? What nationalities do our people have or where did the people live before? Do we need to bring guns, and if so, can you give a few examples? What do we need to take for the trip? What are the known dangers that we need to consider?

And lastly I want to know how much gold sells for and how much my money is worth.

For the players here I want to ask what occupations you will take. I am looking at being a farmer, miner or laborer. I will sell my produce on the market. I may decide to take a specialization on the request of some people.

I also want to ask what skills we can teach each other. I just want to share what I know of the world. I can search for books on history or those books with practical applications. I know a little martial arts.

I would like to know mining, other languages, a bit of history and firearms.

I probably can't join but I'm interested.

I want to ask questions. Where will the ship come from? What nationalities do our people have or where did the people live before? Do we need to bring guns, and if so, can you give a few examples? What do we need to take for the trip? What are the known dangers that we need to consider?

And lastly I want to know how much gold sells for and how much my money is worth.

For the players here I want to ask what occupations you will take. I am looking at being a farmer, miner or laborer. I will sell my produce on the market. I may decide to take a specialization on the request of some people.

I also want to ask what skills we can teach each other. I just want to share what I know of the world. I can search for books on history or those books with practical applications. I know a little martial arts.

I would like to know mining, other languages, a bit of history and firearms.
The ship will come from New York (East Coast to West Coast), The nationalities will include American, Chinese, basically anyone from a foreign country that wants to make it rich. For the trip, they will need to pack clothes, tools for gold collection, etc. I would actually love a researcher, since I'm too lazy to look up this gold rush stuff myself.

If you don't want to join as a settler or prospector, you can join as one of the locals welcoming them to the region. Maybe a tool dealer making money off prospectors...

You can teach whatever skills you like, survival tips and gold mining tips help too.

The ship will come from New York (East Coast to West Coast), The nationalities will include American, Chinese, basically anyone from a foreign country that wants to make it rich. For the trip, they will need to pack clothes, tools for gold collection, etc. I would actually love a researcher, since I'm too lazy to look up this gold rush stuff myself.

If you don't want to join as a settler or prospector, you can join as one of the locals welcoming them to the region. Maybe a tool dealer making money off prospectors...

You can teach whatever skills you like, survival tips and gold mining tips help too.

Can you show us our route? And will our story begin on the ship, with characters boarding in at different times? Or will we start on the West Coast?

In response to your claim of laziness I say this. No, I will not do research for you. I refuse to do all the work. You gotta carry your weight and be worth your salt as the leader of this story. I am willing to enter into discussions with you, but nothing more.

I want to ask if there's a fort nearby. Perhaps I can send a soldier there.

Shouldn't we know how to survive and gold mine already? People in the past knew how. And as for gold mining we can leave that to the prospectors.

Can you show us our route? And will our story begin on the ship, with characters boarding in at different times? Or will we start on the West Coast?

In response to your claim of laziness I say this. No, I will not do research for you. I refuse to do all the work. You gotta carry your weight and be worth your salt as the leader of this story. I am willing to enter into discussions with you, but nothing more.

I want to ask if there's a fort nearby. Perhaps I can send a soldier there.

Shouldn't we know how to survive and gold mine already? People in the past knew how. And as for gold mining we can leave that to the prospectors.
Well this is a lot to ask for. Thankfully, I set the interest deadline as Jan 31st so I got plenty of time to set it up. For now, we'll start by getting off the boat in San Francisco Bay.

Well this is a lot to ask for. Thankfully, I set the interest deadline as Jan 31st so I got plenty of time to set it up. For now, we'll start by getting off the boat in San Francisco Bay.

I just don't know anything about California so if you could provide a clear picture of what the place is like I'd be happy. Try to find out the condition of the soil, the climate and local flora and fauna if you can. I will consider sending animals of my own and seeds to that area.

It is a lot to ask for, especially for someone that might not even join, but I always feel the need to ask more details. I am also testing if you can handle the pressure as well as think on the balls of your feet. That's to determine the amount of work I will do. And it tells me how much you can help players here should they ask for it.

It looks a little bleak since we know so little about this time period, California and our own occupations. We need preparation for a dangerous journey, strong leadership and hardy settlers.

You may also ask questions of your own, I don't want this discussion to be so one-sided.

Edit: I suggest you post a board of occupations available. Who will be the prospector? The miners? Blacksmiths? Farmers? Carpenters? Etc. And if no one takes a certain job, let us pretend we have them already and they automatically do their work as scheduled.

Also, I am curious, will you divide this story into episodes? All of them filled with events?

And dare I say this, that you don't have to do all the work all the time and may delegate certain parts of the episode or even an entire episode to some writers here? That is so we will be assigned work and set our minds to crafting a product. And this is to arrange the most efficient manner of starting our work, which will be on time and everyone knows what everyone else is doing. I do not know what the end result will be but I hope it will produce a hierarchy in which authority is respected and that authority will rule with justice. Justice as it is understood in its most original sense.

Edit: Take these, you may need them.

This one has video on the frontier life: https://m.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

And use this archive to search for books: Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

Edit: I will remind you all to abide by the copyright laws: Copyright law of the United States - Wikipedia . There are some authors whose books are uploaded there, probably without them knowing about it. I wish we would all act in good faith and not turn against the very persons who provided so much knowledge for us.

I also want to ask, are we part of a mining company or simply a band of settlers?

Edit: There is a book that has caught my attention and subject it deals with is divine. I have to go and can only leave the courtesy of a reply. It may be the most important thing I do in life.

Do make good use of the resources available. There is always more should you be willing to search.

Last edited:
Potentially interested. I have a prospector that I made for a game set post civil war, but part of his back story is that he was a 49er. Do you think he'd fit? (If events during this RP end up clashing with his backstory, I may simply revise his backstory! )

His character sheet: Elmer Stroud

He'd be a good bit younger (since I used Bill Pullman as his face claim, I found a younger pic that I think would work out okay 1849!)

gl-1432903-1604010702.jpeg

Potentially interested. I have a prospector that I made for a game set post civil war, but part of his back story is that he was a 49er. Do you think he'd fit? (If events during this RP end up clashing with his backstory, I may simply revise his backstory! )

His character sheet: Elmer Stroud

He'd be a good bit younger (since I used Bill Pullman as his face claim, I found a younger pic that I think would work out okay 1849!)

gl-1432903-1604010702.jpeg
This will be perfect! Welcome to the RP crew. I'll make a CS by next saturday.

Update! Unfortunately I've been smitten by chinese history and now I have no interest in doing this RP. If someone can pick this up and reboot it, go right ahead.

To everyone still interested I will strongly encourage you to keep this discussion open. If God be willing, we may have someone take the story and run it. Even if that doesn't happen, I'd like to know what you thought of the story. And if it is worth mentioning, perhaps we can see what we can do with it.

For the time being, I will retire for the day and perhaps explore other avenues in which a story may take place.

I would like to add that this story can take place in an established mining community, in the frontier, in the wild or even in a town or city.

If we are in a mining community or frontier I would like to run the general store. And if any wish to join me, they can be the shopkeeper or a delivery man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back