Experiences Where did you roleplay before you came to RPNation?

Originally I started off on some 3DS art app that you weren't even supposed to RP on and then I moved onto things like Amino a few years after. Amino is really toxic and so I moved here, a lot safer and friendlier.

I use to roleplay on an old site called SodaHead. It was a strange site where everyone made users and posts based on their hobbies. You could also create questionnaires and polls. Eventually, the company decided it was going to become strictly a polling site so they removed users and posts. They are out of business now though. It took me a long time to find another site that I liked. I am glad that I eventually found RP Nation.

Everything started for me on Marapets and MySpace. Then I stumbled across eliteskills which turned into rp.elitskills and now I’m here.

Quizilla

I miss that site even though it was super cringe-worthy most of the time. xD

Also, Gaia, which I still go on to this day.

I started on gaiaonline way back in the hay day and even ran a few rpgs myself. I've also done D&D in real life in which i want to try to get back into.

That is, IF you can remember. For some of us it's been a while. For me it was back in... for the life of me I can't remember if it was 1997, or 1998.

But the message board was linked into the Yahooligans website. The very first RP I joined in on was a group called Bullets and Blades.

I remember nothing serious ever really got done as everything was drop-in/drop-out. Super casual RP style. You pretty much just made up some kinda premise on the fly and RP'd with whomever was on that had time to message back and forth. Singles, groups... whatever. No profiles, no adverts, no friends lists.... damn. We've come such a long way.

I believe it was around 2004. I had my own forum which was more or less general, about anime and gaming. And one day we just decided to whip up a roleplay and made a roleplay section which was something similar to Hosted Projects here - the entire forum section dedicated to one rp with subforums for various things. In that case it was for different areas, the 'good guys' and 'villains'. We had about 10 players or so and each played multiple characters, most had at least one good and one evil character. Since most players already knew each other, it went well and actually lasted quite a while, more than a year I believe. But eventually died out and later on I shut down that forum too. Anyway, that was my first group rp.

And my first 1x1 happened with one of the members of the same forum who also participated in that group rp. It was more or less around the same time, just a bit later. We just decided to do something smaller and different story. So we set up another small forum just for us, but later on moved into a blog, also just for us two, because it was easier to manage than a forum. We roleplayed there like, the first post in the blog was the setting, and we wrote our rp posts in comments to that post. If we changed the setting we made a new post in the blog and roleplayed in comments there.
It sounds weird when I think about it lol Because it lacks consistency. We had to jump between posts lol I guess we did it in a similar way as our group rp was set up, because this was our first experiences with both group and 1x1. But was super fun anyway and it was then when I decided that I enjoy 1x1 rp a lot more than groups. I've done a few other groups after that and other 1x1s but it was already clear where my preference was and now I only do 1x1s.

I believe it was around 2004. I had my own forum which was more or less general, about anime and gaming. And one day we just decided to whip up a roleplay and made a roleplay section which was something similar to Hosted Projects here - the entire forum section dedicated to one rp with subforums for various things. In that case it was for different areas, the 'good guys' and 'villains'. We had about 10 players or so and each played multiple characters, most had at least one good and one evil character. Since most players already knew each other, it went well and actually lasted quite a while, more than a year I believe. But eventually died out and later on I shut down that forum too. Anyway, that was my first group rp.

And my first 1x1 happened with one of the members of the same forum who also participated in that group rp. It was more or less around the same time, just a bit later. We just decided to do something smaller and different story. So we set up another small forum just for us, but later on moved into a blog, also just for us two, because it was easier to manage than a forum. We roleplayed there like, the first post in the blog was the setting, and we wrote our rp posts in comments to that post. If we changed the setting we made a new post in the blog and roleplayed in comments there.
It sounds weird when I think about it lol Because it lacks consistency. We had to jump between posts lol I guess we did it in a similar way as our group rp was set up, because this was our first experiences with both group and 1x1. But was super fun anyway and it was then when I decided that I enjoy 1x1 rp a lot more than groups. I've done a few other groups after that and other 1x1s but it was already clear where my preference was and now I only do 1x1s.
damn. thats pretty damn good organizing for your first bouts. kudos to that

yeah! its an online game where you play as an animal. kinda like club penguin, but with different animals.

pixel gun 3d, mansion map, team/blue vs red
server was titled like "family, no killing"
i was either in 4th or 5th grade

Yahoo Chat 1998. Back when you could make your own rooms, the Arts and Entertainment section was full of roleplaying rooms. It was mostly script style or very short posts and was full of wackiness with very little internal consistency. XD

Enough said. XDDDDD (Also, playing DnD at my friend's huge dining room table for the first time lol)

mirc.jpg

My first crack at anything rp was on ‘Leafninja’ or some name like that and was a poorly run and operated Naruto based forum. 2008/2009 I think was the year, also was my first forum experience in general, I grew up without internet half the time if not most of my youth and regular computer access was not a common thing for me. Anyways a brief 1x1 rp that didn’t last long and was pretty cringey from what I recall.

I like to think Naruto.viz forum which I joined shortly after was where I main and true first experience came from rp wise and better forum experience wise as despite some of the problems there, it was pretty well run and respectable crew keeping things in check. Even if like here my rp activity was in spurts, it was where I really started to learn about rping and improving or how to improve as a writer. (Still not always great, but better then those cringe moments of my past) Since Viz pretty much came to a final end forum wise, I’m now here. But from 2009-2014/15 was a run that kicked off with my early/first time rping experiences.

November, 2006. I was rummaging through a prehistoric Google sack, looking for JRPG fan boards (I'm not a geek, though! I'll beat you up or something! >.>). I stumbled into the gates of a bustling little berg on the outskirts of the Interweb region known by the locals only as RPGFO. It was a strange and mystical place teeming with folk of all manner, shape and size. Together we created worlds. Together, we were gods.

My first session was a RP I create out of debilitating fear of soiling someone else's project. It was called Pride Sin & Glory, and it was a stew of the following genres: post-apoc, vampiric/demonic horror, western, and fantasy.

Good times.

Last edited:
There was this MMO I used to play called Free Realms. It was more of a social game with deep lore as well but most people formed guilds where they roleplayed whatever. I wasn't in a guild, but I had three friends in which we would roleplay (although I didn't know it was called that) our own thing. I remember it was vampire/werewolf oriented. Lots of asterisks were thrown, and late night sessions. The game had Halloween costumes of werewolves and vampires already which made it easier for "immersion" I even got into writing because of this. My first stories were based on our roleplays.
The most popular topics of roleplay in this game was Warrior Cats (it's a novel series by Erin Hunter about cats who live in clans in the wild). There were no costumes for this, so most people bought mounts that were some type of feline creature to substitute.
The game closed in 2014, much to my disappointment.

Then I slowly moved toward forum style. There was an app I used to use but the community turned to the crapper and I found RPN in 2015 and... Well, here I am.

pixel gun 3d, mansion map, team/blue vs red
server was titled like "family, no killing"
i was either in 4th or 5th grade
I've never heard of any of this. lol

Yahoo Chat 1998. Back when you could make your own rooms, the Arts and Entertainment section was full of roleplaying rooms. It was mostly script style or very short posts and was full of wackiness with very little internal consistency. XD
Yup. this was my next move... or Aol. I can't remember, tbh
I believe 2008 or 2007 chickensmoothie briefly (that is when someone told me what rp was) then I moved onto Gaiaonline.
I think my gaia account might still be active.... fuck if I can remember the password though

There was this MMO I used to play called Free Realms.
I've heard of free realms. used to get ads on some of the game sites i used to visit. never checked it out tho

My first session was a RP I create out of debilitating fear of soiling someone else's project. It was called Pride Sin & Glory, and it was a stew of the following genres: post-apoc, vampiric/demonic horror, western, and fantasy.

Good times.
Sounds like a fun time. haha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back