Experiences Where did you roleplay before you came to RPNation?

A now defunct site called Girlsense, it wasn't a roleplay site but instead it was a game where you could make your own clothes and operate a boutique? It was a cute little site (except for the fact that, in hindsight, there were a lot of people on there that were clearly way older than the intended demographic who didn't have good intentions)

Because it was a site for children, it had a word filter, except instead of doing it normally (a.k.a, ''you can type whatever you want, but there are words that we have blocked you from being able to say") they had it so that instead, you could only type words that were added to their list? Which was... not many. I don't know how to explain properly but it would physically stop you from typing a word unless it was one that was on their approved list. And for some reason, a bunch of celebrities full names were on there? So if you wanted to play a character called, say, Hilary, you'd have to type ''Hello, the character I'm playing is called Hilary Duff Except Ignore The Surname''. weird. Since we were all preteens all of the roleplays were just ''WE ARE IN HIGHSCHOOL!! WE ARE GOING TO PARTIES AND BEING COOL TEENAGERS AND DATING''

theeeeen because I was 11 I started playing Moshi Monsters, and then I discovered the forums? The forums had a designated roleplay section that properly sparked my interest in the hobby. Eventually I was logging in specifically to use the forums and not play the actual game lmao, good times

Because it was a site for children, it had a word filter, except instead of doing it normally (a.k.a, ''you can type whatever you want, but there are words that we have blocked you from being able to say") they had it so that instead, you could only type words that were added to their list? Which was... not many. I don't know how to explain properly but it would physically stop you from typing a word unless it was one that was on their approved list. And for some reason, a bunch of celebrities full names were on there? So if you wanted to play a character called, say, Hilary, you'd have to type ''Hello, the character I'm playing is called Hilary Duff Except Ignore The Surname''. weird.
LOL whoever designed that word filter should be dragged out into the street and beaten with a wet noodle!

It was a dress up site called dollwizard that my sister used that happened to also have an INSANELY active forum and roleplaying community many many moons ago.

If you know you know.

And if you don't, it's probably for the best.

I ended up a mod on there before the site shut down completely in 2013. Me and other mods recreated it and it was never the same. It died for good around 2014 or 2015.

Sorry, if this is going to sound longwinded. I saw the subject line and I’d like to share my roleplaying history.

My first foray into roleplaying was in 1996 where I wrote collaboratively with the other members of our high school’s creative writing club. It was supposed to be a mystery set in our school but became a mess featuring parallel dimensions and two villains. Corny, but one was called Duran Duran and the other was Carmen Sandiego. Yes, the same one from the games. I was the main culprit for the story becoming this way because I was the first to post. If I had my today writing skills back then, it would have been different.

2002 marked the first time I participated in roleplaying with others online. It was on a board called Medaverse. The storyline was called Red Ground Tavern and Inn and featured 12 characters, including mine, with some members doubling. I played as my king mage character. He was bit of a Gary Sue in retrospect and still is for the most part which I why don’t use him anymore. If I had back then the OC roster I have today, I would have played a different character. Back then, I just had the one character and one other that I had barely begun to develop. This storyline continued for about three years until interest waned. I was the one of the few participants left.

A few years after that, I began rummaging around Yahoo message boards and I was referred to a board called Spectrum. Fun times there and plenty of memorable storylines, but interest slowed to a stop. One member created his own message board named Nechana and I followed. The member list was smaller, but we did all right. However, the board would get hacked eventually the board activity halted.

One member created a board called Obdurate. The member list was even smaller until we had a handful of active members including me. Activity slowed down in the past few years which happened around the time that its server was bought out.

That was about a couple of years ago and I had been looking for a message board to continue my roleplaying. About a month ago, I came across RP Nation and here I am.

In all places, I've always gone by the user name of Pokeking.

Last edited:
Sorry, if this is going to sound longwinded. I saw the subject line and I’d like to share my roleplaying history.

My first foray into roleplaying was in 1996 where I wrote collaboratively with the other members of our high school’s creative writing club. It was supposed to be a mystery set in our school but became a mess featuring parallel dimensions and two villains. Corny, but one was called Duran Duran and the other was Carmen Sandiego. Yes, the same one from the games. I was the main culprit for the story becoming this way because I was the first to post. If I had my today writing skills back then, it would have been different.

2002 marked the first time I participated in roleplaying with others online. It was on a board called Medaverse. The storyline was called Red Ground Tavern and Inn and featured 12 characters, including mine, with some members doubling. I played as my king mage character. He was bit of a Gary Sue in retrospect and still is for the most part which I why don’t use him anymore. If I had back then the OC roster I have today, I would have played a different character. Back then, I just had the one character and one other that I had barely begun to develop. This storyline continued for about three years until interest waned. I was the one of the few participants left.

A few years after that, I began rummaging around Yahoo message boards and I was referred to a board called Spectrum. Fun times there and plenty of memorable storylines, but interest slowed to a stop. One member created his own message board named Nechana and I followed. The member list was smaller, but we did all right. However, the board would get hacked eventually the board activity halted.

One member created a board called Obdurate. The member list was even smaller until we had a handful of active members including me. Activity slowed down in the past few years which happened around the time that its server was bought out.

That was about a couple of years ago and I had been looking for a message board to continue my roleplaying. About a month ago, I came across RP Nation and here I am.
long-winded is good. I appreciate long-winded. It's fun to read how everyone came about to where they are today, Also, wow. i wish I could remember all my past happenings in such precision. lol

I believe it was in 2012 or 2011, about 8 years ago. I made a character in a fandom forum RP focused around digimon. I had come off the heels of finding a season of that series that I had missed, data squad, and was super eager to write about it, and share all my ideas with people. I didn't even know what roleplaying was at the time, but I understood it had something to do with writing pretty quickly and when I read the forum rules I was just really in love with the whole thing. For context, this wasn't like RPN where you make individual RPs in their own settings with their own characters and such, the whole forum's story was shared and took place in one setting, and you just made a character for that setting that you played.

So I made the character and soon I would find my first roleplay. In it, my character who was a digimon who was living in this very polluted river, thinks that the other person's characters were coming to invade his territory. He was quickly bribed with marginally better food than whatever ends up floating by in a dirty river and wents to the guy's house where they just kinda hanged out and talked about their stories, gave each other some encouragement, and the RP kind of ended there if I recall correctly.

I absolutely loved it back then, and I was constantly excited about when the next reply would come, what would it say, what kind of things could happen between our two silly fellas... And that experience would begin a journey to truly immersing myself in the world of roleplay, which has become a much bigger part of my life than I ever would have thought back then.

any Quotev survivors here? formerly Quizzaz for the real OGs. that place was an absolutely cesspit of eleven year olds roleplaying in the comments section of quizzes from their ipod. I'm not proud to say I was one of the people creating those quizzes. topics ranged from 'TALK TO LOKI!!' to 'TALK TO TONY STARK' with an occasional 'UR LIFE AS AN AVENGER!!'. I feel the peak of my writing career was the 2013 smash hit WOULD LOKI DATE YOU?!. In all of the above I pretended to be the characters so I was roleplaying before I realised it. When I truly hopped into the saddle my first OC, my most divine and thorough creation to date, was an Avenger who could turn into a cat. It made her good for running through a battle scene (?) without getting hit. Nobody is going to shoot a cat! Aside from that, she didn't do anything other than yell a lot and make out with everyone?

First official RP with sheets and all that? Some island RP thing on the MonkeyQuest forums involving an island. My character was horribly overpowered and I'm so glad none of it was recorded on Wayback. I think I might actually die if I had to see any of that again. I know I was like, 9 and I didn't know any better, but it'd still hurt to look at.

First RP, period? I dunno, I think I did a whole bunch of roleplay-ish messing around on Pixie Hollow Online when I was very smol. Like, kindergarten age smol.

Oh boy... Roblox, a game called Kingdom Life. I distinctly remember this one fight I was in where, after every attack I received, I would just type "regenerates" as a response. Eventually, the other guy got understandably angry, and we stopped the RP there.

Oh boy... Roblox, a game called Kingdom Life. I distinctly remember this one fight I was in where, after every attack I received, I would just type "regenerates" as a response. Eventually, the other guy got understandably angry, and we stopped the RP there.

This reminds me of when we just used to type "sidesteps" to evade any type of attack for laughs. XD

We didn't get reliable internet access on my corner of the island until 2002, maybe. Or perhaps that was when my dad moved out and I was finally allowed to use the family computer for more than games. I did all my roleplaying in those fixed MSN chatrooms until it crept into a creative writing forum I was on. And at some point I went to a roleplaying convention in Dublin and bought a very weird French RPG called Mechanical Dream without really knowing what it was.
From there it was all Vampire: The Masquerade and Exalted and enough D&D to decide I don't like it.

Super-casual, Harry Potter setting (with first or second book?), Geocities-hosted messageboard. This moved to Neopets' guild boards, and I moved into Digimon.
Dabbled in MUDs until I got established in a primary one. Eventually properly introduced to tabletop with Exalted and some nWoD. I wandered into RPNation for the Exalted and stayed for the Grey Grey Crucible. Dabbling in other systems.

My first role play site was called Neko Kugyay. While I didn’t want to leave it became a site that got over run by people not interested in roleplay. They created so much spam the owners of the site decided after having to redo the site so many times to just shut down the entire site once and for all

I miss my old site but have found so many friends and role partners here that I wouldn’t give up.
I'm also from Kugyay!

I started on both DnD and Kingdom of Loathing, ( of all websites ), I was on Roll20 for a short while before I dug deeper into the world of forums and found this place!

Right before here I was at Elliquiy. They are an 18+ site, though. I was there since 2015, and the quality has gone down a lot since then. Hence why I eventually made the decision to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back