Other What's your religion?

Roman Catholic ^__^

I'm so surprised to see several other Roman Catholics on this thread. 

There are certain things that I do disagree with the church on, but I do believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and Mary. Me being Roman Catholic is more of a cultural identity than anything, as my family of +20 (extended, I do not have that many siblings) are all VERY Catholic and the school I attend is religious. My grand parents extremely religious, but they don't force their beliefs onto us grand children for the most part.

Besides how conflicted I feel about the church' stance on the LGBT+ stuff, my biggest issue is that my uncle is a priest, so I'm unsure whether to call him father or uncle at church. Lol. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Atheist. I hadn't heard of Misotheism before but I wouldn't say I could bring myself to care enough to hate something I don't believe in, any more than the villain of a story outside of the context of that story. I looked up the Kalam cosmological argument, which according to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source of information so feel free to correct it) goes as follows:

1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause;
  2. The universe began to exist;

Therefore:

3. The universe has a cause.

4. If the universe has a cause, then an uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful;

Therefore:

5. An uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful.

I'm with it up as far as 3, but from there it makes too many logical leaps for me to reconcile, confusing uncaused with unknown or even unknowable cause (just because we don't know the cause doesn't make it uncaused, and if you accept there may be a cause, you have to accept that it might one day be understood). It also might be that the whole thing is condensed by wiki, but why would a creator (if it did exist) need be personal or enormously powerful?

But more interestingly, how can anyone be part vegan?

I was Catholic, but I've grown distant from the faith in general for various reasons - mostly just stating it as pure matter-of-fact when asked now. 

I hadn't heard of Misotheism before but I wouldn't say I could bring myself to care enough to hate something I don't believe in

I tend to employ it as an exaggeration of my antipathy toward religion in the real world in general.  The rest of the time I find religion and theology too aesthetically, narratively, and anthropologically fascinating to hate, and it shows in the majority of my work. 

I myself am an agnostic atheist. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of there being a god, there's just no evidence to support the existence of one

I'm actually a Catholic Theologian (in training).  I am majoring in "Catechetics" which is the art of teaching the Catholic Faith.  I plan to one day work for the Catholic Church in some respect.  I have even been discerning the convent for a number of years.  Soooo, who knows, I miiiight be a nun someday.  

Question...

What is the stance of the Catholic Church as far as the existence of an Immortal Soul?

I've done my research, and after reading countless articles, I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a soul. When we die, we simply sleep in the grave until the final resurrection. We are, in our entirety, a soul. We don't have a soul, we are a soul.

Yay!  A Questiong about the Catholic Faith for me to answer!  *Runs to get Catechism*

Oh yeah, and I'm a Catholic Theologian (in training) in case you didn't read my last post. :)  

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that we do have Immortal Souls which give us consciousness and freedom; both soul and body.  At death the soul is sepperated from the body to await the final resurrection at which time the soul will be reunited with the body, now glorified.   (Catechism Paragraphs: 363, 366, 1703)

So the human soul dose not remain with the body in the grave but instead goes for personal judgement before God.  It cannot remain with the body because it is what gives the body life.  

Yay!  A Questiong about the Catholic Faith for me to answer!  *Runs to get Catechism*

Oh yeah, and I'm a Catholic Theologian (in training) in case you didn't read my last post. :)  

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that we do have Immortal Souls which give us consciousness and freedom; both soul and body.  At death the soul is sepperated from the body to await the final resurrection at which time the soul will be reunited with the body, now glorified.   (Catechism Paragraphs: 363, 366, 1703)

So the human soul dose not remain with the body in the grave but instead goes for personal judgement before God.  It cannot remain with the body because it is what gives the body life.  

I have a question for you, that is, if you don't overly offended:

How would you classify Jesus in Christian Catholicism? Is he a prophet? Or something much more?

And, what's the difference between reformist Christianity, and Catholic Christianiy? Why is the latter more popular?

How did the pope/bishop/priest (the system) come to be in Catholicism? Was it something created by humans? Or was it a commandment of the God?

Wow. This is really refreshing...! Finally, a group of people discussing religion without any hate! Just goes to show what a wonderful community RPN really is! <3

I'm not sure what label I can apply.

Like I don't think a god is what most religions depict them as, but I'm thinking that they're a far more abstract, vast, ever-present thing that we're also a part of.

In essence, this entire universe, our conscious, just everything and all laws of physics and whatnot is connected as one sort of "being".

Also I believe in ghosts and spirits big time, yup.

I'm not sure what label I can apply.

Like I don't think a god is what most religions depict them as, but I'm thinking that they're a far more abstract, vast, ever-present thing that we're also a part of.

In essence, this entire universe, our conscious, just everything and all laws of physics and whatnot is connected as one sort of "being".

Also I believe in ghosts and spirits big time, yup.

This is functionally a form of pantheism. 

I am a practicing Roman Catholic . I have gone through several crisis of faith in my life, but I have always been able to return to my religious and strengthen them through experience and through reflection: philosophical, logical and introspective. 

I am more than willing to debate and even encourage debate among religious beliefs and even within one's religious beliefs as I have learned that you can't truly believe in something if you're not willing to step up for it and put it to the test.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Sunni Muslim representing here, one of the Shafi'i sect (if you can call it that). I don't much care about religion as much as many other people do (a surprising thing to say since I happen to be very interested in theology and especially Tawhid); there's not really any extra effort I put into my life for the sake of virtue solely because my lifestyle isn't exactly steeped in sin to begin with. I see religion as something deeply personal, the act of profound faith is truly an experience.

I have a question for you, that is, if you don't overly offended:

How would you classify Jesus in Christian Catholicism? Is he a prophet? Or something much more?

And, what's the difference between reformist Christianity, and Catholic Christianiy? Why is the latter more popular?

How did the pope/bishop/priest (the system) come to be in Catholicism? Was it something created by humans? Or was it a commandment of the God?

I don't get offended easily.  It's literally my job to answer questions.  

Jesus Christ is both fully God and fully man.  He is not a prophet, He is God himself in human flesh.  

I'm assuming you mean Catholicism Vs. Protestantism?  Roman Catholicism can trace it's roots all the way back to the time of Christ.  The Catholic Church was in fact founded by Jesus Christ Himself while he was on Earth and this founding is chronicled in the Bible, of which the Catholic Church both wrote and compiled.  (Even protestants will admit we wrote the Bible.)  There is a saying among Catholics, "to study history is to cease to be protestant".  The vary name "Protestant" means to "Protest".  The "Reformed" Christianity began as a protest against Catholicism.  It was a revolt of sorts.  Protestants, while they are well intentioned, lack the fullness of the Christian Faith and are called, "Separated Brothers and Sisters in Christ".  

The first Pope was appointed by Jesus Christ himself, his name is "St. Peter".  Peter in the language Jesus would have been speaking means "Rock" and Jesus says in the Bible, "Upon this rock I shall build my Church." and he says this right after renaming Peter who's birth name was "Simon".  (This is why every once in a while you might hear, "Simon Peter" mentioned. The writers were trying to prevent confusion due to the name change.)  The Priesthood was also instituted by Jesus Christ, this is where the "Washing of the feet" comes into play.   The 12 disciples were our first priests.  (Yes, some of them were married, but that's a different story.)  The office of Bishop is just a Priest who has been hand picked by the Pope to take another set of vows and then he is responsible for a group of Priests.  He makes sure all of his Priests are teaching the Faith properly and no one falls off the rails.  This job was also instituted by Jesus Christ, though the 12 disciples and their followers who wanted to be sure everyone was teaching the same things Christ teaches.  (To ensure nothing is changed on purpose or mistake.)

We believe as Catholics that God still chooses Our Popes and Bishops through the Holy Spirit.  

Dose that answer your questions? :)  

I don't get offended easily.  It's literally my job to answer questions.  

Jesus Christ is both fully God and fully man.  He is not a prophet, He is God himself in human flesh.  

I'm assuming you mean Catholicism Vs. Protestantism?  Roman Catholicism can trace it's roots all the way back to the time of Christ.  The Catholic Church was in fact founded by Jesus Christ Himself while he was on Earth and this founding is chronicled in the Bible, of which the Catholic Church both wrote and compiled.  (Even protestants will admit we wrote the Bible.)  There is a saying among Catholics, "to study history is to cease to be protestant".  The vary name "Protestant" means to "Protest".  The "Reformed" Christianity began as a protest against Catholicism.  It was a revolt of sorts.  Protestants, while they are well intentioned, lack the fullness of the Christian Faith and are called, "Separated Brothers and Sisters in Christ".  

The first Pope was appointed by Jesus Christ himself, his name is "St. Peter".  Peter in the language Jesus would have been speaking means "Rock" and Jesus says in the Bible, "Upon this rock I shall build my Church." and he says this right after renaming Peter who's birth name was "Simon".  (This is why every once in a while you might hear, "Simon Peter" mentioned. The writers were trying to prevent confusion due to the name change.)  The Priesthood was also instituted by Jesus Christ, this is where the "Washing of the feet" comes into play.   The 12 disciples were our first priests.  (Yes, some of them were married, but that's a different story.)  The office of Bishop is just a Priest who has been hand picked by the Pope to take another set of vows and then he is responsible for a group of Priests.  He makes sure all of his Priests are teaching the Faith properly and no one falls off the rails.  This job was also instituted by Jesus Christ, though the 12 disciples and their followers who wanted to be sure everyone was teaching the same things Christ teaches.  (To ensure nothing is changed on purpose or mistake.)

We believe as Catholics that God still chooses Our Popes and Bishops through the Holy Spirit.  

Dose that answer your questions? :)  

By God those were excellent answers! I must really applaud your knowledge of our faith! :) xD  

I'm a Catechetics major at Franciscan University.  So I've kearned from the best. :)  

Oh nice. I´m just one of those worrywarts that just gets a bit annoyed at how many claim to be catholics without actually believing (in practice) or even knowing what we believe in (and I don´t mean nitpicks, just basic information such as the one you posted there), it's quite the relief to see someone putting them so eloquently (is that misspelled? I don´t think so...)

Oh nice. I´m just one of those worrywarts that just gets a bit annoyed at how many claim to be catholics without actually believing (in practice) or even knowing what we believe in (and I don´t mean nitpicks, just basic information such as the one you posted there), it's quite the relief to see someone putting them so eloquently (is that misspelled? I don´t think so...)

After Vadican II there was a lot of confusion among the laity and some of the clergy.  Few people were reading the documents that came out of Vadican II themselves because they were mostly in the high minded Church language.  It was the job of the clergy and Catechetis to read and translate that high language for the laity.  Sadly, that didn't happen and everyone was confused.  The worst of the damages was when they stopped teaching the Faith with that same conviction they once did to the youth and new converts.  If this had not happened I bet a lot more people would be saying they are Catholic on this thread, and meaning it.  Because now we are three or four generations removed from Vadican II and the damage has only gotten worse with each generation.  You can't teach what you don't know....  It's really sad.  but that is the reason why my school offers my major.  We're trying to put good Catechetis out there again. :)  What I'm saying is, there are more of me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back