Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear god I agree. I noticed Sephiroth in two rps where he’s part of a ridiculous redemption plot. As if forgetting he burned down Nibelheim killing innocent villagers or he murdered president Shinra.

There’s no chance of him being redeemed for the murders including Aerith. Not to mention nearly destroying the planet by the meteor. These kinds of characters can’t be redeemed. I think in Sephiroth’s case he’s too insane and far gone.

Though forcing themselves in part of your mind post makes me angry.
As I mentioned the vast majority of people do not know how to write a convincing redemption arc so shouldn't even try. This goes for many professional writers as well. Sympathetic villains are honestly some of the most complex characters, thus are difficult to write in a way that is believable and convincing.

As I mentioned the vast majority of people do not know how to write a convincing redemption arc so shouldn't even try. This goes for many professional writers as well. Sympathetic villains are honestly some of the most complex characters, thus are difficult to write in a way that is believable and convincing.
But in some cases there is no redemption, once you have passed the event horizon, the only plot really left for a character is atonement. Everyone cannot be redeemed unless you bend over backwards and retcon things like in Steven Universe where they handwave away mass genocide by making Steven and Yellow Diamond be able to restore shattered gems.

As much as I agree that a poorly-done redemption arc sucks, I think it's a bit far so say that people shouldn't even try it. Getting better at things usually takes practice. I would be really annoyed if someone tried a bad redemption arc and acted as if all characters are required to treat their character as if they're perfectly redeemed now, but that's more a problem with OOC interaction than the attempt itself.

As much as I agree that a poorly-done redemption arc sucks, I think it's a bit far so say that people shouldn't even try it. Getting better at things usually takes practice. I would be really annoyed if someone tried a bad redemption arc and acted as if all characters are required to treat their character as if they're perfectly redeemed now, but that's more a problem with OOC interaction than the attempt itself.
Agreed, I've seen some very stark redemption arcs, and I think a very skilled writer can turn any scumbag into a good guy with enough planning, foresight, and care. And the way you get skilled at things is doing them, even when you suck at em lol.

Yeah I agree with this. No one starts out making things perfectly. I encourage people to try with things like this and keep on trying until you get it juuuuust right. There is absolutely no shame in not making the best redemption arcs the first time around. A really good redemption arc takes loads of planning and a very good balance between showing your character's mess-ups and then how they redeem themselves in a way that feels satisfactory compared to their scumbag ways. That is why when it is done very well it is 👌

When people don't realize that saying "oh yeah my OC just has uh, lots of guns and such" will trick the GM into just letting them run with it in an RP that's fairly specific about what every character is carrying. No weaseling; be honest with what you want your character to be packing and more importantly, be reasonable.

People who get mad that you aren't keeping up a one-sided conversation. I had this partner we were working on a fantasy RP, and I mean we built this world from scratch, they seemed super enthusiastic about it and then all of a sudden they just stopped replying. I replied for a while, with the usual, posing some idea, sending funny pics and videos, got nothing. So I decide to just focus on world-building, add some no locations to the map, add more monsters to the bestiary, post some quest ideas our characters could possibly go on. I asked every now and then if they were okay and still wanted to continue got no answer despite them being online. Okay, maybe they're busy, maybe they're talking to someone else no big deal, but here is the thing. If I feel like I'm bothering you I'm not going to keep replying to you and after a certain point I'm going to assume you're not interested, all of this I expressed to them before we even started. So when they went months without answering me I felt that either they were busy or I was bothering them so guess what as I said I stopped replying because I wasn't getting any sort of response despite them being on every day and I know that just because their on doesn't mean they owe me time or that they don't have other partners, but I'm not going to keep replying to a conversation where I am the only participant.

Now, this is the part that irritated me, almost pissed me off. This person had not replied to since 2020 had been on everyday damn near but never made time to respond to me which again is fine but it adds to the foolery that took place just about a week ago. I only know they were on because whilst going through to get to DM's with other partners and friends I could see their icon was on almost every day. So they come back and they have an attitude with me because I as they put it ghosted them and if I wasn't interested in the RP anymore I could have just said so...now I will remind you that for months I was the only one replying be the conversation, for months I added things here and there to the world we were creating, I even sent them DM's to check on them make sure they were okay and ask if they were still interested every week or so and you can see all of this on the server we made together, there is no way to miss it, there is no way that whilst they found it within themselves to post this message to tell me off about how I had somehow ignored and ghosted them that they did not see it. So essentially the only reason you can be mad right now is that I didn't continue to talk to the air for over a year. I swear I almost cursed them out, I almost did it I was so close but I ain't got time for that so I just blocked them, deleted the server, deleted the DM, I want nothing to do with them and I refuse to entertain whatever foolery that was.

I want to join a new RP group, but none of the interest checks are legible.

It feels like everything posted is either over-engineered BBCode that hides important info behind invisible tabs and scroll bars, or that no one knows what the hell a paragraph break is.

It feels like everything posted is either over-engineered BBCode that hides important info behind invisible tabs and scroll bars, or that no one knows what the hell a paragraph break is.
BBCode is a blessing and a curse. I love how it looks when I can actually read it that's for sure...

This.

Mood. I hate reading interest checks on this site sometimes.

Honestly, me too. Even the so-called "mobile friendly" BBCode designs can be a drag for mobile users.

Sometimes I think that impossible to read designs are already a good sign you wouldn't match with this rp partner anyway. Because there is at least one major interest you already don't have in common, and there will likely be more :)

lmao, my bitching has resonated with the masses, love it.

I got that -7 prescription on my bifocals, and a 27in monitor zoomed in to 150%. This grandma 'bout to make some ADA compliant RP threads.

That's very relatable for my vision. I try and use BBcode that has a bright background with dark text font so everything is readable and keeping them mobile friendly as well.

Over the years, I've developed a decent handful of pet peeves but my biggest one by far is when I put in maximum effort creating a character for an RP that is supposed to be long with an intricate plot that allows the characters to develop and I get 10% in return and details are disregarded. An example was when I made a neutral evil sort of character that had a rich personality and backstory meant to cause obstacles for other characters but rather than anyone take the time to develop there characters through the set ups I had, there was one person with a classic hero/savior character that disregarded the interactions, powerplayed where it was not allowed and who's only goal was to romance another character as quick as possible.

It annoyed me on the fact that I made three to four paragraph posts and got maybe four sentences in return or I made rounded characters and I got stock in return.

Wow this is a old thread but- man probably folks that say they have a deeply flawed character. He has anger issues, she’s bipolar, they have a gambling problem, and then proceed to show absolutely none of that in rp. Or just little glimpses of anger. Just because you feel angry or yell at someone does not make you or your character have anger issue. Especially not ”severe anger issues”. Then they’ll say “Oh but my character just loves yours so much and theyre the antidote to make them never angry.” Mf I joined for angst!! I want them to blow up in my character‘s face! Why are you so shocked and hurt that my character is being an asshole, when we started this rp accepting and originally were searching for deeply flawed meanie individuals.

Like. Ahhhhh- I understand that sometimes things go too far, but my character just said fuck you and refused a hug and kiss after yours didn’t do what they wanted. Yes. It’s supposed to be selfish! My character is selfish! You wanted- Lmao idk

Dont wanna run my mouth too much like Im perfect but, man. It happens enough to just- ahhh-

Not necessarily aggravating, but a little upsetting.
I'm certain everyone's had to deal with this atleast once in their career of rp hosting:

Views: alot
Replies: 0

Not knowing if there is an issue with your rp intro, whether or not people do like it and are shy or not willing to communicate, or if the theme / topic is out or date or not popular (or only veteran writers/role players inhabit the site and you're a new writer).
I hate asking for help and am naturally very paranoid and skeptical of things, so a whole rollercoaster of emotions goes through me after working on an rp for a long time and not getting any responses, its the reason why i moved to rpnation in the first place : /
Not sure if i belong here or i just need to be patient or grow / learn more / improve.

Last edited:
when people claim to have read the interest check but they ask for something that you specifically stated that you will not do

RPing with a "brick wall" of sorts. Meaning, giving a pretty lengthy response with plenty of areas to reply to and receiving a sentence or two back. In my interest checks, I state that I don't reply to one liners...and this is why. If we're doing a quick back and forth, like a post every couple of minutes, then I understand only a paragraph or so. And I agree with quality over quantity, but...I need the quality if it's going to be short. Most likely, it's neither full of quality or long.

Like, without adding their own characters' replies to it? It probably would be tricky if the response is intended to be short but it's a lit RP or something.
when it includes things you already said more or less verbatim

When people clearly aren't paying attention and their replies show as much like retcon levels of negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back