Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you want to keep writing character sheets but it's getting late and your brain is too tired.

When yu have a new character but you haven't made a profile for them yet so you awkwardly have to try and explain them to your partner who has a profile ready.

the feeling when you want to rp a setting no one cares about 😭 😭 😭
or if someone does, the plot does not fit you 🙃

I wish people wouldn't tag 1x1s "Platonic" if they're going to go on and say "Romance is pretty much required/I'll lose interest if there's no romance/etc" in the post. I'm aro and not really interest in doing romance rps, I already have to filter my search, please don't make it any harder on me!

I wish people wouldn't tag 1x1s "Platonic" if they're going to go on and say "Romance is pretty much required/I'll lose interest if there's no romance/etc" in the post. I'm aro and not really interest in doing romance rps, I already have to filter my search, please don't make it any harder on me!
In general I hate it when people put a filter that isnt something they actually want.

It’s so frustrating when I am looking for something specific and the searches that have that sub genre don’t actually want to do that topic

canon characters being described as "crushes"
that makes me cringe
you could give me the best plot in the entire world and then say something along the line of "my crush is ____, can you play them for me?" and I just cave into myself

edit: ope I was reading through and saw someone said this same thing at the very beginning. lmao, we've came full circle

When a player (or even worse, a GM) apparently only reads the latest IC entry and responds only to that while ignoring any previous entries that might be there before the one they responded to. In my case, it's so chronic that I constantly have to remind them of those previous stuffs with a "Please reply to this/these too" as a little OOC note.

When a player (or even worse, a GM) apparently only reads the latest IC entry and responds only to that while ignoring any previous entries that might be there before the one they responded to. In my case, it's so chronic that I constantly have to remind them of those previous stuffs with a "Please reply to this/these too" as a little OOC note.
I understand this but to be fair sometimes there are like tons of replies to go through and whilst you're trying to read through them someone else replies which adds more for you to reply to, to the point where you will basically never reply because you will always have something new to read. So in that case you have two options, reply and risk missing something or possibly never reply at all which is why I like for people to tag all relevant people in their posts so people will know what's mandatory for them to read and be able to come back wnd read the rest after or I try to have people slow down on posting so people who haven't replied yet have a chance to.

If we're RPing combat, don't make your attack automatically succeed against me.

My reasoning is that if we're roleplaying our characters in a fight, both of us are making attempts at landing attacks, and it's up to the opposite person to reasonably sell said attack(s).

DO:
Roleplayer 1:
Character Uno throws a wild haymaker at Character Dos.

Roleplayer 2: Character Dos is knocked silly.

DON'T:
Roleplayer 1:
Character Uno throws a wild haymaker at Character Dos, knocking them off their feet. Character Dos proceeds to--- (and so on).

It's just roleplay etiquette, IMO, in the same vein of not controlling another person's character without their permission.

This does not mean you couldn't perform multiple attacks within the span of a single post, just that each should be considered an individual attempt rather than one successful attack flowing into the next.

I understand that problems can arise where a roleplayer, in the midst of combat, will absolutely refuse to sell any other character's attacks. That's very annoying. However, autohitting isn't the way to address it.

If we're RPing combat, don't make your attack automatically succeed against me.

My reasoning is that if we're roleplaying our characters in a fight, both of us are making attempts at landing attacks, and it's up to the opposite person to reasonably sell said attack(s).

DO:
Roleplayer 1:
Character Uno throws a wild haymaker at Character Dos.

Roleplayer 2: Character Dos is knocked silly.

DON'T:
Roleplayer 1:
Character Uno throws a wild haymaker at Character Dos, knocking them off their feet. Character Dos proceeds to--- (and so on).

It's just roleplay etiquette, IMO, in the same vein of not controlling another person's character without their permission.

This does not mean you couldn't perform multiple attacks within the span of a single post, just that each should be considered an individual attempt rather than one successful attack flowing into the next.

I understand that problems can arise where a roleplayer, in the midst of combat, will absolutely refuse to sell any other character's attacks. That's very annoying. However, autohitting isn't the way to address it.
I feel like the simple solution is to just decide beforehand in OOC who is going to win the battle. That way people might be able to autohit once or twice and everyone can have faith that it's still gonna go the right way in the end. Communication is key for sure.

Rp partner gives you a premade character annoys me so much! "Your character must act so and so and have this personality" bruh just write fanfiction or smth

Rp partner gives you a premade character annoys me so much! "Your character must act so and so and have this personality" bruh just write fanfiction or smth

So I am on a period kick right now and prior to that I did a lot of fandom specific roleplays. So my one caveat would be when it’s :

“So this is how women behaved in the 1800s or characters in this position would act this way.”

Just because I don’t want to be in a Victorian roleplay where the main character is wearing a mini skirt and using modern lingo.

So I am on a period kick right now and prior to that I did a lot of fandom specific roleplays. So my one caveat would be when it’s :

“So this is how women behaved in the 1800s or characters in this position would act this way.”

Just because I don’t want to be in a Victorian roleplay where the main character is wearing a mini skirt and using modern lingo.
Yeeeeah, I don't call myself a complete stickler for historical accuracy - I absolutely let small details slide all the time, especially if it is something really minor but I cannot stand when we are supposed to be playing in a historical setting and everyone looks like they are wearing modern prom dresses and speaking like they are in the 21st century. It just takes me completely out of it.

Now, I am a history buff. So often I actually do study exactly the type of outfits that would have been worn and I understand they often aren't aesthetically pleasing so I do usually just say as long as the outfit looks vaguely historically accurate (i.e. not what you would wear to a prom or something) I am fine with it. But my GOD is it annoying when someone tries to basically play a modern character in a historical setting.

This has probably been said before but my word it annoys me to hell and back when people join RP's, make enough posts for them to get caught up in a lot of the RP, then the player just drops the RP without making an exit post. I'm trying to run a RP now and a pair of players do this throwing a curve ball in two sets of interactions and it's making my job harder, and I feel bad for one RPer whose new to group RP's whose trying to figure things out and something like this happens to them. It's really frustrating and disappointing.

That's perfectly fine since you're just asking that my character fits the setting. What I'm referring to is when someone starts the thread with "your character is a teenage boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. He's top of his class and always behaves well. He's also in love with my character"

I'm back once more!
Someone joined a roleplay with me where I was using my deaf OC. They planned all of these interactions with my OC, learned about her, then quit the roleplay. They have now joined another roleplay with their own deaf OC with a very similar backstory to mine. I feel like they've essentially taken my OC and made her a guy, and the GM thinks they're a genius for using a deaf OC.
This has happened before, where people roleplay with me then make their own OC very similar to mine. The worst part is the form asked them if it was an OC or inspired by someone from the universe, and they literally wrote "original character, all new material." It's SUPER frustrating. I worked hard on that OC and it feels like they've made a bootleg version.

I'm back once more!
Someone joined a roleplay with me where I was using my deaf OC. They planned all of these interactions with my OC, learned about her, then quit the roleplay. They have now joined another roleplay with their own deaf OC with a very similar backstory to mine. I feel like they've essentially taken my OC and made her a guy, and the GM thinks they're a genius for using a deaf OC.
This has happened before, where people roleplay with me then make their own OC very similar to mine. The worst part is the form asked them if it was an OC or inspired by someone from the universe, and they literally wrote "original character, all new material." It's SUPER frustrating. I worked hard on that OC and it feels like they've made a bootleg version.
I've never experienced plagiarism myself, but I understand how horrible it is to create something you love, only to have it stolen by someone else. I'm sorry for you, and I hope that guy gets what they deserve.

I've never experienced plagiarism myself, but I understand how horrible it is to create something you love, only to have it stolen by someone else. I'm sorry for you, and I hope that guy gets what they deserve.
I think the most frustrating part is watching the GM praise them for their amazing OC and how they're excited to see how their character interacts with others when they're deaf when it feels like this person watched me do it then decided that was their idea now. It's really disheartening that they're getting so much praise for this after I spent so much time on my own character.

I think the most frustrating part is watching the GM praise them for their amazing OC and how they're excited to see how their character interacts with others when they're deaf when it feels like this person watched me do it then decided that was their idea now. It's really disheartening that they're getting so much praise for this after I spent so much time on my own character.
I've had things stolen from me too, I've had character ideas stolen me, literally plots and RP ideas were stolen from me, someone even attempted to steal the art of my OC from me and the fact that they were using the picture didn't bother me really, it was the fact that they lied and said they drew it and it was theirs both of which was a lie but luckily I had receipts to prove it was mine and that another artist drew it.

Overly controlling partners.

I’d like to think that I’ve always been pretty open-minded and receptive to other people’s ideas. I like to build on their plot and contribute to the story in a meaningful way. However, what truly irks me and makes my blood boil is when they try to monopolize all the major plot points AND THEN have the audacity to say that I haven’t contributed anything of significance.

Listen here bud, if you’re just going to completely ignore/bulldoze my ideas (that I’ve already voiced and advocated for) and then try to remake/reword everything to solely fit your needs/character, you might as well write the story all by yourself. I’m not here to beta-read your novel. It’s not what I signed up for.

So as we all know autocorrect hates humanity, so I hate when I see a typo or a mistake in my post, and then when I got to fix something autocorrect takes it upon itself to fix things that didn't need fixing so I constantly have to go back into my post to fix new crap autocorrect has done to me. From changing words that aren't spelled wrong to words that don't make sense in that context like its weird insistence that no matter what context I write the word were in that I clearly meant we're for some reason adding the word I in the middle of things for no apparent reason and turning the word liar into list. Sometimes this ignorant program will straight up erase my passages and move my text when I'm typing so now I'm typing in the wrong place.

So as we all know autocorrect hates humanity, so I hate when I see a typo or a mistake in my post, and then when I got to fix something autocorrect takes it upon itself to fix things that didn't need fixing so I constantly have to go back into my post to fix new crap autocorrect has done to me. From changing words that aren't spelled wrong to words that don't make sense in that context like its weird insistence that no matter what context I write the word were in that I clearly meant we're for some reason adding the word I in the middle of things for no apparent reason and turning the word liar into list. Sometimes this ignorant program will straight up erase my passages and move my text when I'm typing so now I'm typing in the wrong place.

I feel this, especially since most auto-correct is set to default US English spelling. When I type dialogue in a different language, it freaks out in a sea of red squiggles. And if the character I’m portraying isn’t a default English speaker, I could see auto correct changing words that make it read like my character is literacy level is of a toddler. I actually have to manually set auto correct off my keyboard (on mobile) and in the browser (on PC).

Overly controlling partners.

I’d like to think that I’ve always been pretty open-minded and receptive to other people’s ideas. I like to build on their plot and contribute to the story in a meaningful way. However, what truly irks me and makes my blood boil is when they try to monopolize all the major plot points AND THEN have the audacity to say that I haven’t contributed anything of significance.

Listen here bud, if you’re just going to completely ignore/bulldoze my ideas (that I’ve already voiced and advocated for) and then try to remake/reword everything to solely fit your needs/character, you might as well write the story all by yourself. I’m not here to beta-read your novel. It’s not what I signed up for.
On another site I had to deal with a partner like that. I did enjoy writing with her for the most part as our styles worked well together and our characters had chemistry, but she was very controlling when it came to certain plot points. Like, for one plot she wanted to make my character's older brother. I was like "okay, sure", but then she wanted to change a bunch of the established lore of the family to fit her own vision for the character. Ugh. I argued with her about it, but then eventually budged and allowed her to do things her ways. I simply got mentally exhausted and could no longer argue with her about it.

Eventually said person left the site due to a ban and honestly a part of me was relieved even if I did enjoy some of the plots we wrote together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back