Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case, can't they just stick to default colors (as in leave majority of their texts without coloring codes) so everyone can read what they write regardless of the light/dark modes?
I mean that doesn't really fix it as the default colors can be hard to see depending on the mode as well the only safe way to be sure would be to switch between dark and light mode to make sure the color you're using is easy to see in both modes or just not use colored text at all.

Actually if you color the text AND the background then it will look the same in both modes. The reason things are hard to read when you switch is because the text is left to it's default color. And that's different in light and dark mode. If however you just make your background "black with white text" then it's gonna look exactly the same regardless of how others are viewing it. If your going outside of basic primary colors (a simple red or blue or whatever) then it's best to put it on a colored background just to ensure that you can make it readable on all modes.

---------

Now on to my own pet peeve, improperly tagged search threads. I hate it when I see a thread that has the HP prefix and when I look at the search not a mention of the series. Like goodness it's hard enough to find a thread among interested parties. It's harder still when I have to read through unrelated threads as well.

When folks seem to purposely ignore or like rewrite what you said? Just so what they wanted to happen will?

For example(but rlly short im lazy)

Bob reaches for the baby.

NotBob cuddled and kissed the baby‘s forehead, staring at him.

MF HE REACHED FOR THE BABY, AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE THAT AND HAVE THEM PULL AWAY IF THE CHARACTER IS GOING TO DENY THE ACTION.

worse one though is rewriting, heres a more specific example because it literally happened

credence shoved him, clearly wanting out the mans hold and frustrated by his sudden lack of control over himself, but managed a kick and shove to get away- only to step into a dip on the road and hit the ground hard.

notcredence put him in the van.

WHAT.

GMs that make annoying characters and give times them an unfair advantage so that you have to bow down to them. So there was a roleplay I did not on this website but basically, we were all more or less going to a magical school and our GM had a character which was fine, I don't care I participate in my role plays too, but the issue I had was that this character was a straight-up which wasn't an issue within itself, your characters don't always have to be pleasant people. However, she was also a part of the student council and had a stronger friend who acted as her bodyguard so you couldn't rightfully smack the taste out of her mouth and again that's not where the issue lies, again this could make for an interesting dynamic and story thread. Oh but wait there's more. So this school apparently has cameras everywhere to prevent fighting and because there is a probationary program for students whose parents were dark wizards or if the students were formerly criminals themselves and despite this, this girl was allowed to lie to get people in trouble and sabotage other people, she'd lie to the staff and they'd take her side and whenever we'd bring up the cameras and go exactly the staff doesn't know her character was lying or doing misdeeds because all they'd have to do is simply check the cameras her answer was "The staff won't do anything because they're testing you to see how you'll handle the situation" and for this, I call bull because we could do nothing but sit there and take it and our characters were in danger of being expelled based on her lies and actions...that the staff was fully aware of but they were giving us some weird test to see what we'd do...how? We couldn't physically fight her even though she was allowed to sick her bodyguard on us, we couldn't try to sneak and come up with a plan to expose her because the cameras watching our every move and some chairs literally took us straight to our next class and if we attempted anything at any time we got caught and punished for it, we even tried to use one character who specialized in illusion magic but even she got caught yet this winch was allowed to walk around brazenly with no illusions...because.

I really want to do a Harry Potter roleplay but I am struggling again with wanting to do a group but not wanting to GM for the ton of people I know will sign up if I make an interest check, that isn't me being arrogant I just know people love Harry Potter and Hogwarts legacy got people on the mood maybe I'll just look for an existing one.

I really want to do a Harry Potter roleplay but I am struggling again with wanting to do a group but not wanting to GM for the ton of people I know will sign up if I make an interest check, that isn't me being arrogant I just know people love Harry Potter and Hogwarts legacy got people on the mood maybe I'll just look for an existing one.

How big of a group does it need to be? As I would say if you are willing to keep it small and slow moving you should be able to just talk to 1x1 players you have worked with in the past.

The biggest problem with groups is lack of organization and lack of emphasis on compatibility. It’s why so many people go to 1x1s. It’s a lot easier to organize a posting schedule and talk to your partner when it’s just two people.

I would say however if you have some Harry Potter friends and you don’t need a post a day you should be able to get a very robust small group going. So try that rather then rolling the dice on a random group.

How big of a group does it need to be? As I would say if you are willing to keep it small and slow moving you should be able to just talk to 1x1 players you have worked with in the past.

The biggest problem with groups is lack of organization and lack of emphasis on compatibility. It’s why so many people go to 1x1s. It’s a lot easier to organize a posting schedule and talk to your partner when it’s just two people.

I would say however if you have some Harry Potter friends and you don’t need a post a day you should be able to get a very robust small group going. So try that rather then rolling the dice on a random group.
Thing is I haven't been on in like...a really long time and I'm just now becoming active again, I have no idea where my friends are or if they even get on this site anymore except for Damafaud Damafaud I think they're still active so I was thinking of making a small group but I'm trying to figure out what the criteria should be because just accepting the first 3 people might not be a good idea.

My issue with group RP's is not organization, that bit I'm fine with I just...I don't want to do it anymore, especially not by myself. I guess I have GM burnout I'm tired of doing absolutely everything by myself.

Thing is I haven't been on in like...a really long time and I'm just now becoming active again, I have no idea where my friends are or if they even get on this site anymore except for Damafaud Damafaud I think they're still active so I was thinking of making a small group but I'm trying to figure out what the criteria should be because just accepting the first 3 people might not be a good idea.

My issue with group RP's is not organization, that bit I'm fine with I just...I don't want to do it anymore, especially not by myself. I guess I have GM burnout I'm tired of doing absolutely everything by myself.

That’s kinda why I said try to find friends. I don’t think groups benefit from first come first serve. You need to find people who you mesh with on a personal level not just a writing level. If you are only looking for four people I would honestly just post an interest check focusing on the people themselves.

If you get the right people they will take up the load for you.

So focus specifically on shared knowledge and similar post schedule over plot or character. As the latter too are usually easy to bang out if you get enough people who are actually enthusiastic.

I implore all who have chosen to colour their texts never to tinge them in such outlandish hues of gruesome neon that they dig into one's eye sockets. I recommend only using colours which are subdued.

Being asked to not ghost someone and to keep communication with them, only to find out that they ended up ghosting you. Several weeks of no response or being online, no word or communication on their part. Sigh.

Everyone is gone from 2018 haha

I'm agreeing with nerdy tangents nerdy tangents . My long running RPs so far have been the few where I know the people, at least well enough, that I know what to expect to a certain degree

Everyone is gone from 2018 haha

I'm agreeing with nerdy tangents nerdy tangents . My long-running RPs so far have been the few where I know the people, at least well enough, that I know what to expect to a certain degree
I think Idea Idea is still here too but that was kind of my point lol oh and Wandering Fae Wandering Fae is still here although I think she's newer which isn't a problem I'm just saying I don't know where most of my RPN friends are, but have just ca confirmed that all of them are probably gone 😆 I mean I don't disagree with the point, my issue is how I go about doing that? It seems a bit weird to just strike up a conversation with a random person online for no reason and starting an RP to find friends seems like a maybe bad idea so I'm just trying to figure out how to proceed.

Oh yes, even though I dislike group rp in general, I also noticed that my most successful ones were those where all or most players knew each other before the rp started. You already know what to expect and people are less likely do drop out randomly.

Starting a conversation with a random person can actually work lol That's how I found one of my main rp partners, wasn't even a conversation about rp 😆

Oh yes, even though I dislike group rp in general, I also noticed that my most successful ones were those where all or most players knew each other before the rp started. You already know what to expect and people are less likely do drop out randomly.

Starting a conversation with a random person can actually work lol That's how I found one of my main rp partners, wasn't even a conversation about rp 😆
Hmm, well I'll be damned guess it's time to talk to random people.

I don't know anyone here much so all I really can do is message random people lol. It's been proving effective tho, most of the people I've reached out to here are super chill and we've vibed. It's honestly really exciting cuz I didn't know about this place for so long and was defo missing out.

That being said my DM's are always open 👀

As for pet peeves in RP I just don't like when people don't communicate, I love to talk about ideas and worldbuild and have it be collaborative, but when people just make it about them and don't communicate and take stuff I've said and add onto it as if they were me and know what I was doing, it really irks me

Hmm, well I'll be damned guess it's time to talk to random people.

Lol it’s not quiet as extreme as that. Your best bet is to make a discussion thread asking for help with a Harry Potter group.

Best case scenario you find three people on the same posting schedule as you. Worst case scenario you get to talk Harry Potter with other fans. It’s a win win for you,

FC supremacist, particularly realistic face claims. Now I have no issue with realistic face claims my issue with people who scoff and turn up their nose at people who use anime, fantasy, or any form of unrealistic face claims and like it's a cardinal sin like "it so cringes, they all look the same, why do you want your character to look like a cartoon?" I don't know why do you want your character to look like someone who actually exists you think 2D face claims are so cringe, did you ever think that someone might find you creepy for claiming someone's actual face?

Now again I have no issue with realistic face claims I have a few for role plays where people prefer them but I just hate people like that in particular.

I hate how so many action-focused roleplays don't allow you to actually land a punch on another character, instead forcing you to leave wether you actually hit or not up to whoever is playing said character.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why such rules exist and I agree that it sounds great it theory. My issue is just that it doesn't so much fix the issue as replace it with a dozen new ones.

For example, it slows down combat too much.

Secondly, it never feels like the type of character people play is ever taken into account.

I hate how so many action-focused roleplays don't allow you to actually land a punch on another character, instead forcing you to leave wether you actually hit or not up to whoever is playing said character.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why such rules exist and I agree that it sounds great it theory. My issue is just that it doesn't so much fix the issue as replace it with a dozen new ones.

Secondly, it never feels like the type of character people play is ever taken into account.
For this I usually have a rule, you can't dodge absolutely everything, to be honest about rather you think your character could block/dodge the attack. Of course I know some people will still try to nitpick their way around this to come up with a reason as to heh they don'ttaske the hit so every 10 blows you absolutely have to take the 10th hit, but I do understand why there is no isn't a hit because then people can make it so every hit lands and the other person has no chance at countering. Sometimes I even had both players roll dice to see how effective the attack was vs the counter but this was only usually when the players couldn't resolve it themselves and agree if I was a hit, dodge, block or parry.

This used to be such a big thing back in the day of roleplay battle-specific 1x1s. Some sites had this rule that you couldn't autohit, powerplay, or whatever you want to call it. And I never understood the big deal. Like you said, it not only slows down combat, but it's such an unrealistic approach to battle. Some people used to bring up the excuse that you "should use creative methods to get hits in", but that would typically involve people making over-the-top abilities that were so vague that the only reason they hit was because they didn't understand said abilities enough to know how to counter it.

So my point being is I say just let the punches hit. Need to get a grapple in? Let people do it. No problem in those hits being allowed to connect.

Is it possible to solve this by agreeing with the fighting partner first in OOC? So you two already have an idea of who should get hit and when.

This used to be such a big thing back in the day of roleplay battle-specific 1x1s. Some sites had this rule that you couldn't autohit, powerplay, or whatever you want to call it. And I never understood the big deal. Like you said, it not only slows down combat, but it's such an unrealistic approach to battle. Some people used to bring up the excuse that you "should use creative methods to get hits in", but that would typically involve people making over-the-top abilities that were so vague that the only reason they hit was because they didn't understand said abilities enough to know how to counter it.

So my point being is I say just let the punches hit. Need to get a grapple in? Let people do it. No problem in those hits being allowed to connect.
Your point is muted by existence of aforementioned arena writing, or any participant versus participant battle. It is easily solved were there an influencing hand, such as a GM, controlling ego-dead characters, such as NPCs. But people take their own characters too seriously, and will typically feel slighted whenever they lose an actual battle against another person. Add on to the fault of boasting, min-maxing, and all number of other conduct, and it exemplifies gravely why having an actual battle in a roleplay is risk-taking. I wish people could accept defeat without me having to literally railroad them into a loss.

So many years of writing, and I've had 'battles' numbering equivalent to the fingers upon a typical hand, all because of this. And it is, frankly, a shame. I seek to tell stories, not help people boast about which character is stronger. I seek to write stories, with people, of loss, of triumph, and people cannot help themselves but to slay hundreds of people instantly, and unleash world-ending torrents of death-lightning from their legendary blade against a feasome opponent which they expect to die instantly and bore when it doesn't.

There is no worth in endlessly winning, and there is no worth to forced defeat; adding nothing, changing nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back