Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting people into my group RPs that join and just immediately start airing out all of their horrible life story/mental problems/personal stuff to people they don't know. It's so awkward, it screams attention seeker, and it derails the entire ooc until nobody else wants to talk.

Maybe I'm being hella insensitive but man... I don't know you like that, I don't really care, and honestly I'm just here to RP.

I keep getting people into my group RPs that join and just immediately start airing out all of their horrible life story/mental problems/personal stuff to people they don't know. It's so awkward, it screams attention seeker, and it derails the entire ooc until nobody else wants to talk.

Maybe I'm being hella insensitive but man... I don't know you like that, I don't really care, and honestly I'm just here to RP.
You aren't the only one to feel this way. It sets off alarms in my head when someone starts spouting off about sensitive topics and mental health right out the gate. It almost always leads to pity rule breaking. And in one extreme case I'm pretty sure the person was fishing for info.
Don't get me wrong, I talk about issues with online friends, but sensitive stuff came after getting to know one another. Not before I even know there dogs names, basic hobbies or other casual things.

My friends have complained as well. "I just started an RP and our characters haven't even met and this person is already telling me about . . . ."

I even know someone on a long break from drama burnout.

If you are on a site that allows extra channels try adding a *VENT* channel and have a rule to keep home issue discussion there and the RP discussion page to RP stuff.

Saw this earlier in the thread but ugh when you put a lot of effort into scene making and creating an atmosphere while also being very detailed about how your character is feeling in relation to the other character and the world around them and it’s as if no one even read a thing lol
I’m a worrisome anxious person and I try to be as detailed as possible.. I mean I don’t expect others to be detailed or anything but it sure makes me feel like a loser T.T

Saw this earlier in the thread but ugh when you put a lot of effort into scene making and creating an atmosphere while also being very detailed about how your character is feeling in relation to the other character and the world around them and it’s as if no one even read a thing lol
I’m a worrisome anxious person and I try to be as detailed as possible.. I mean I don’t expect others to be detailed or anything but it sure makes me feel like a loser T.T

I completely feel you on this. I've been their and it can be a real disappointment when it seems like your post or pretty much anything you wrote about your characters motives, emotions and mind space was totally lost on your partner. :closedeyescryingfrown:

Don't take it personally if the other person doesn't pay attention. If you write out details and they don't notice it's not you, it's them. They aren't paying attention. I notice some RPers are into this quick and to the point style of RP instead of story based and it's frustrating for those who like to really build on characters and story.

I completely feel you on this. I've been their and it can be a real disappointment when it seems like your post or pretty much anything you wrote about your characters motives, emotions and mind space was totally lost on your partner. :closedeyescryingfrown:

Don't take it personally if the other person doesn't pay attention. If you write out details and they don't notice it's not you, it's them. They aren't paying attention. I notice some RPers are into this quick and to the point style of RP instead of story based and it's frustrating for those who like to really build on characters and story.

If I've written details into a scene and the other player/s just ignore them, or write something that contradicts them, I just re-iterate them in the next post. Although a lot of the time if the details don't actually matter then I wouldn't bother doing even that, and just forget about it or go with what the partner said. I'm sure it's pretty easy to accidentally ignore stuff.

When it comes to your character's internal thoughts/feelings, how do you want the other player to respond to them? Unless your character expresses the thoughts/feelings wouldn't it be metagaming to have the other player respond to those IC?

If I've written details into a scene and the other player/s just ignore them, or write something that contradicts them, I just re-iterate them in the next post. Although a lot of the time if the details don't actually matter then I wouldn't bother doing even that, and just forget about it or go with what the partner said. I'm sure it's pretty easy to accidentally ignore stuff.

When it comes to your character's internal thoughts/feelings, how do you want the other player to respond to them? Unless your character expresses the thoughts/feelings wouldn't it be metagaming to have the other player respond to those IC?

i suppose I just don’t know how to go about those situations..
but you’re right.. they don’t have anything to really respond to when it comes to emotions or thoughts..
This came up because I was seemingly interacting but there wasn’t a reciprocal response.. they more or less went about interacting with others.. I just don’t know whether to feel like my post wasn’t good enough or if I’m missing something all together?
I was kinda venting earlier..
It just hurt my feelings I guess lol but I’m responsible for my own feelings of course...

i suppose I just don’t know how to go about those situations..
but you’re right.. they don’t have anything to really respond to when it comes to emotions or thoughts..
This came up because I was seemingly interacting but there wasn’t a reciprocal response.. they more or less went about interacting with others.. I just don’t know whether to feel like my post wasn’t good enough or if I’m missing something all together?
I was kinda venting earlier..
It just hurt my feelings I guess lol but I’m responsible for my own feelings of course...

This is probably a style mismatch. I agree its aggravating if you put a lot of thoughts and internal monologue into your post and the other person just writes action-only with no feelings and thoughts of their own. I like to know what's going on in other character's heads even if my character wouldn't know, because it's more fun to read and helps you get to know the other character.

This is probably a style mismatch. I agree its aggravating if you put a lot of thoughts and internal monologue into your post and the other person just writes action-only with no feelings and thoughts of their own. I like to know what's going on in other character's heads even if my character wouldn't know, because it's more fun to read and helps you get to know the other character.

right!! That’s exactly it! Ugh..

thank you for putting it into words.. I just couldn’t figure it out myself.. something just felt off but I couldn’t quite put my finger on !

I totally agree! I like the internal monologue! It certainly adds to the layers of subtleties because it’s not just actions happening there’s also a lot happening behind those actions..

Would love to RP sometime !

I'm not talking about like in the case of a secretive or vigilante character that is thinking one thing and having emotions boil but then I describe how he is hiding his emotions to keep a calm façade before he says something. 😱:3: I'm talking about people who a character can be upfront, give honest reaction to their own thoughts and even show body language and the internal writings and description of the emotion would be used as a way to set the mood of the things the character can see. Then suddenly that doesn't matter. Reply just doesn't even care about what you wrote. Just move the seen along as if their is no such thing as character conflict or actual team building story.

Even worse is when it's like emotion annoys your partner and it's clear it actually is just getting in the way of their idea. Like one character that I had meta knowledge come out he hated a museum. The guy came up with a reason to go this museum suddenly. My second character was like okay I'll go. But no, had to be THAT character for some nonsense reason. Character flat out declines quite vehemently. Partner writes his character saying it will be okay and then skips to them at the museum :b/:

i genuinely cannot stand when people bring in sudden epic trauma in their character’s past just to match mine. it’s happened quite a lot, weirdly.
lets say i have a character and establish early on something horrible happened to them in the past (e.g parent dying, horrible accident, witnessing a murder.) i reference it when necessary and generally just thread it into the rp (e.g flinching at loud noises, face falling when someone mentions a parent, being jumpy)
but sometimes, if i happen to have a character with this, my partner feels the need to just boom, drop something in.
don’t get me wrong, there are plottwists and secrets in some rp’s and i love them but it is painfully obvious when it’s a plottwist or when it’s just my partner adding a little bit of spice because what the hell. i love well developed characters and hints early on and it just grinds my gears when my partner just wants to add trauma because damn it’s cool i guess.

This site acts so stupidly sometimes so I got a new tablet yesterday and I tried to log in here using it because I prefer typing on a tablet than my phone so I log in using google pick the associated mail and it tells me there is already an account associated with this mail please log into that account.

Uh no shit, what do you think I'm doing right now? I'm not registering I'm logging in.

So I go to change my password so I can log in manually but since I made this profile with Google I don't actually have a damn password so I cannot type in my current password to change my password and because I don't actually have a password anything I do or don't type into the current password slot will be incorrect...who's mans is this?

This site acts so stupidly sometimes so I got a new tablet yesterday and I tried to log in here using it because I prefer typing on a tablet than my phone so I log in using google pick the associated mail and it tells me there is already an account associated with this mail please log into that account.

Uh no shit, what do you think I'm doing right now? I'm not registering I'm logging in.

So I go to change my password so I can log in manually but since I made this profile with Google I don't actually have a damn password so I cannot type in my current password to change my password and because I don't actually have a password anything I do or don't type into the current password slot will be incorrect...who's mans is this?
That sounds more like a problem with google with RPing. But google does suck.

i genuinely cannot stand when people bring in sudden epic trauma in their character’s past just to match mine. it’s happened quite a lot, weirdly.
lets say i have a character and establish early on something horrible happened to them in the past (e.g parent dying, horrible accident, witnessing a murder.) i reference it when necessary and generally just thread it into the rp (e.g flinching at loud noises, face falling when someone mentions a parent, being jumpy)
but sometimes, if i happen to have a character with this, my partner feels the need to just boom, drop something in.
don’t get me wrong, there are plottwists and secrets in some rp’s and i love them but it is painfully obvious when it’s a plottwist or when it’s just my partner adding a little bit of spice because what the hell. i love well developed characters and hints early on and it just grinds my gears when my partner just wants to add trauma because damn it’s cool i guess.
This is so weird to me, haha. I have had many people act like their character must have had a life worst than my character. Which, personally, I don't like measuring how bad people have it because to me it isn't a contest. In real life or in character, people suffer and it's just a part of life. You aren't better or more sympathetic because you suffered more. And in stories it is more what you do with that bad/traumatic past than that it happened.

I just find it weird when people treat it like a contest. Like their character has to have a monopoly on suffering. It is so weird because I have seen it so many times and I still just don't understand it haha.

And like you said it is really obvious when they just drop it in there, or are just piling it on. Tbh, I have always had a 'you do you' approach. As long as your partner is still happy, whatevs. But it irks me personally whenever that happens.

When creators deliberately hold out on creating a main thread, even though seventeen people have already joined.

I only started RPing here full time in early November, so I don't know if this is just me being a bit uppity about a generally excepted norm, but so far it's been really annoying.

This is so weird to me, haha. I have had many people act like their character must have had a life worst than my character. Which, personally, I don't like measuring how bad people have it because to me it isn't a contest. In real life or in character, people suffer and it's just a part of life. You aren't better or more sympathetic because you suffered more. And in stories it is more what you do with that bad/traumatic past than that it happened.

I just find it weird when people treat it like a contest. Like their character has to have a monopoly on suffering. It is so weird because I have seen it so many times and I still just don't understand it haha.

And like you said it is really obvious when they just drop it in there, or are just piling it on. Tbh, I have always had a 'you do you' approach. As long as your partner is still happy, whatevs. But it irks me personally whenever that happens.

Literally had this IC. Our characters were talking about their shitty dads and when my partners character was like "yeah well my dad did x and y shitty things! My childhood was HARD" My character was like "I'm not trying to compete with you!"

This was the one and only time they talked about their family issues. Both too manly for that stuff normally. XD

That sounds more like a problem with google with RPing. But google does suck.
That's just as much on this website, it shouldn't be a log in option if it can't be used properly on this site.

That being said try logging in using your username instead of your email, I know it says username or email but...let's just me real it means username.

i know this has been said before . . . but I just had an encounter . . . so . . . why does your post layout have two scroll bars, one for a small box and another for an even smaller box . . . that I gotta mouse over just right to make the right one scroll when I want it to . . . people can we stop using thread posts as miniature web browsers? Please. Please stop your threads are very difficult to read (and by that I mean I can't read your threads).

Last edited:
Bunnying even if the one doing it is the host.

I remember having a 1x1 RP where there was some misunderstanding about how my character's Rotom Phone should be played (the RP itself is about Pokemon btw). The host played it as if it were Rotom Dex from Pokemon Sun & Moon, but I intended to make it somewhat like ROBO_Head from Cytus 2. And in the end, we both had to resort to a personality glitch to explain it in-universe.

I've never heard this term before. If the example you included is it, does it mean something like characters playing the same NPC, but giving it a different personality? Or does it just mean two people playing the same NPC in general?

I've never heard this term before. If the example you included is it, does it mean something like characters playing the same NPC, but giving it a different personality? Or does it just mean two people playing the same NPC in general?
It's more like the former. And honestly tho, it gave me quite a headache.

I remember having a 1x1 RP where there was some misunderstanding about how my character's Rotom Phone should be played (the RP itself is about Pokemon btw). The host played it as if it were Rotom Dex from Pokemon Sun & Moon, but I intended to make it somewhat like ROBO_Head from Cytus 2. And in the end, we both had to resort to a personality glitch to explain it in-universe.
Oof, sounds kind of cool, but also a headache. I like how you resolved it with a personality glitch!
My partner and I share NPCs a lot, especially lately. If it's ever anything super important, we discuss it OOC to great lengths. OOC communication is soooo much more important than one would think!

The pressure felt to always place your group rp first. Always feeling like you have to give it attention every day, like a need dog that'll eat your shoes if its not attached to your hip. I make an effort not to let it get to me, but it sits at the forefront of my mind; because what if my players get bored and leave. I really dislike the feeling of always needing to be the energy of the conversation because you're the GM.

Lets just say I have totally left my group chats alone for days on end without a peep. I know it makes things feel dead or neglected but gosh I can not focus on it, life, friends, D&D and other hobbies! But I still feel that inkling of guilt when I do it.

I feel you on this. It tends to go with lack of interest in story discussion OOC. And those who like to only stick with one character and never introduce their own NPCs but want someone to do something to kickstart an idea they have.

I dislike when roleplays try to balance characters by forcing you to list three strengths and three weaknesses.

There's nothing wrong with it in theory, but it always ends up with people judging those characters on how many weaknesses/strengths they have and not what those actually are. It's how you end up with characters that supposedly balance out their strength of "telekinesis" with their weakness of "lactose intolerance".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back