Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also:

[Weird Name] Academy for [Vague Descriptor]

This reminds me of when I was obsessed with writing a manga called "Delinquent Butler School" and I wrote a ton of notes and made character designs for it too. I even had an artist who said she would draw it for me but like ... I had no idea what the plot would be or anything. I just liked the idea of a bunch of street thugs learning to be butlers at a high-class school for a reality tv show. Actually I still think it's a pretty neat idea so maybe one day I will write it. XD

This reminds me of when I was obsessed with writing a manga called "Delinquent Butler School" and I wrote a ton of notes and made character designs for it too. I even had an artist who said she would draw it for me but like ... I had no idea what the plot would be or anything. I just liked the idea of a bunch of street thugs learning to be butlers at a high-class school for a reality tv show. Actually I still think it's a pretty neat idea so maybe one day I will write it. XD

I'd read that. Sounds interesting and creative to me.

When I voice my IRL discomfort with something in an RP and whoever I'm RPing with keeps it dragging on. Like, do you WANT me to get too uncomfortable and leave!?

Here's a few pet peeves of mine:
  • weak rp boundaries. not bringing up or solidifying boundaries, and then getting pissy if partners aren't up to their rp standards. ie, how frequent replies should be, # of minimum words per post, how to handle ghosting without conflict, etc. no one is psychic.
  • creeps in rp communities. those who use rp as an excuse to be toxic or downright abusive online. be safe kids 🙏💕
  • creatives who romanticize bigoted or abusive characters (don't ask me to explain, but this bs is rampant on some rp sites and fanfic sites).
  • fetishized or demonized mental illness, making them violent or creepy in rp (don't ask either). this includes trauma survivors.
  • straight girls who fetishize gay male charas. same with straight boys fetishizing lesbians, but i see the first one in rp circles more. as a bi girl it icks me out.
  • those who mainly use thin, white, abled, cishet characters or faceclaims in general. surrounding yourself with diversity is key!
  • BB codes with hard to use slidebars, hard to read text. that's inaccessibility, and really gets in the way.
  • one-liners and slim paragraphs that don't further lore or character building.
  • lack of trigger warnings, more people have ptsd than you think.
  • a few basic errors like your/you're, but that's just the nitpicker in me at that point ~

Last edited:
femslasher femslasher that last one reminds me of an old partner who did their level best to help me with homonyms. For some reason I can’t make them stick in my head. It’s like no matter how many times you call it out or how close I read my posts there is always a least one homonym wrong.

it used to get to the point where they would just have a list of them and be like, okay nerdy just look through these before you post.

Not in a mean or snobby way, they were really trying to help. But at a certain point it was just like “we both know this ain’t getting better.“

But every time I see that I remember my poor friend doing their level best to help me work out homonyms.

nerdy tangents nerdy tangents
That's totally fair! I think it's great you tried so hard, but it's OK to acknowledge things that are personally harder for you. I have dyslexia myself from ADHD, so I'm definitely not one to judge with errors. I have to re-read things multiple times to really understand them. It's a shock homonyms are one of my strengths, honestly, because it took ages to learn them when I first learned English. I think whenever I see some grammar rule etc that I actually remember regularly nowadays, my brain immediately goes "hey, that's not right!" in a lightbulb moment. My brain just yells at me to point it out. Which I never do, of course, I hate nagging... but it can be a pet peeve by getting in the way of RPs. For both my partner and I.

I'm sure you still bring great things to the table in RPs, mistakes are just a part of being human! ✨

thinking a lot about race and desirability on this website today. the appeal towards krps always intrigued me since they're wildly popular: i want to think it has a lot of roots in orientalism/fetishization of this 'model minority' race (mainly for the white roleplayers taking part in them) - and rarely are dark-skinned asians ever used lol.
and this isn't me being bitter or complaining at all, but i noticed a group rp i made about a university black student union, with the implication of mostly black characters being used, hasn't gotten quite as much attention/interest. i know my plot, aesthetic, and writing are fine. really just makes one pause to consider what's up!

In fairness timshel timshel school roleplays in general seem to be a sore spot for this site. So it could be less about color an more about people not wanting to do a university roleplay.
gonna respectfully disagree w your on this opinion because i've seen so many academia-based roleplays on this site that attract a lot of attention and have really flourished. my claim wasn't even remotely related to anything about the setting, but to each their own, i suppose!

gonna respectfully disagree w your on this opinion because i've seen so many academia-based roleplays on this site that attract a lot of attention and have really flourished. my claim wasn't even remotely related to anything about the setting, but to each their own, i suppose!

Well yeah but unless your saying all the other academic school roleplays are identical to your own except for the color of the characters than it could very well be the setting turning people off not the color.

Like as someone who specialized in school roleplays for years it’s not a one size fits all comparison. It takes a lot of work to make them successful and usually it comes down to luck and a dedicated user base.

But it doesn’t come down to how the characters look.

So I do agree that people play characters that fit their skin tone. I don’t think that’s a reason for the lack of success in your school roleplay.

Well yeah but unless your saying all the other academic school roleplays are identical to your own except for the color of the characters than it could very well be the setting turning people off not the color.

Like as someone who specialized in school roleplays for years it’s not a one size fits all comparison. It takes a lot of work to make them successful and usually it comes down to luck and a dedicated user base.

But it doesn’t come down to how the characters look.

So I do agree that people play characters that fit their skin tone. I don’t think that’s a reason for the lack of success in your school roleplay.
as an individual has engaged in many a dark academia based roleplay (as the roleplay tim is talking about is) the lack of interest does seem a tad peculiar!! additionally, as someone who tends to play characters of color (which for the longest were SHOCKINGLY rare to find in roleplays of any variety), i’ve noticed that rps based around communities of color and minority experiences (even when the general premise is one that generally gains a lot of traction) tend to be left in the shadows. it can be hard to understand, in fully, an issue you’re not often presented with, and it’s in human nature to be inclined to say there’s no way it’s because of color! because we want to assume the best of our comrades, but i DEFINITELY think there’s some tertiary feature holding back interest that i know does not lie with the plot. have a lovely day, honeybee!!

krper here. and yes, the desirability of races is an issue in rping. it would be ignorant to deny it. often it DOES come down to how the characters look because many people are using rping as an escape into an ideal world. their character is likely to be an idealization, or at least someone they identify with. that's why a lot of people like to play characters who are their race, have a similar background, have similar struggles, etc., because it's easier to identify with them. unfortunately, that does leave AMPLE room for biases (unconscious idealization, fetishization, and internalized xenophobia). as a personal anecdote, from the age of 10 to perhaps 13 the majority of my characters were white. i am an asian woman. but white characters took up the vast majority of what i saw in media at that age, not to mention there were way more resources for white faceclaims than any other. brushing off the issue and blaming it on plot or setting alone would be completely invalidating this very real problem that has always plagued roleplaying communities

as someone who is active in krp community, i can definitely see your point here and will fully admit that there is a lack in portrayal of p.o.c characters in general. though i would also like to lay out my personal thought that the lack might be due to people being hesitant in representing a race that has a certain weight behind it. i, myself, admit to being hesitant about roleplaying black characters simply because i am not familiar at all with the racial struggles they deal with and i don’t want to cause accidental harm in my portrayal of them. i understand that this is also a point of research and that it should not stop me or anyone from creating roleplays that are centered around p.o.c characters but i feel like this might be a factor nonetheless.

that being said, it is definitely a concern worth bringing awareness to and something we as a roleplay community on its own can improve on!

as an individual has engaged in many a dark academia based roleplay (as the roleplay tim is talking about is) the lack of interest does seem a tad peculiar!! additionally, as someone who tends to play characters of color (which for the longest were SHOCKINGLY rare to find in roleplays of any variety), i’ve noticed that rps based around communities of color and minority experiences (even when the general premise is one that generally gains a lot of traction) tend to be left in the shadows. it can be hard to understand, in fully, an issue you’re not often presented with, and it’s in human nature to be inclined to say there’s no way it’s because of color! because we want to assume the best of our comrades, but i DEFINITELY think there’s some tertiary feature holding back interest that i know does not lie with the plot. have a lovely day, honeybee!!

Like you hit it on the head it’s a minority experience, so obviously it’s not going to be as popular.

Like I get it, I hate that all fantasy settings seem to default to pseudo white European. Like for duck sakes peoples lets expand our horizons. But if I made a fantasy roleplay based on a lesser known time period or ethnicity I am not gonna be like - y’all low key racist for not doing this.

Im gonna be like...welp people like to stick to their comfort zone. It is what it is.

Now if I make let’s say a generic superhero roleplay and every single person is white heterosexual I’m gonna be salty as hell. Cuz there’s no excuse for that.

Hell even in the pseudo medieval fantasy settings their better be queer people of color. It’s ducking make believe, don’t come at me with realism.

But if I made a fantasy roleplay based on a lesser known time period or ethnicity I am not gonna be like - y’all low key racist for not doing this.
exactly. "lesser known." and that's really the terrible crux of it. anything that's not white american/eurocentric has been relegated to this realm of "lesser known" obscurity, other-ness, that many rpers don't want to touch. kpop's recent rise in popularity is responsible for the influx of new krps and krpers because now that this media is readily accessible, people are getting more comfortable with writing within that realm. it makes one think about the general lack of effort in the real world to explore unknown/foreign experiences and how that apathy is reflected in the demographics that are most commonly celebrated in roleplays.

no one here is playing a blame game – i'm certain timshel's intent wasn't to attack rpn at large. they wanted to point out the issues of racial inequality which are specific to rping, and this is a needed conversation in any rping circles that want to call themselves inclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back