Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always pretend that this is just my character's way of telling me to leave them alone. XD They're just not in the mood to talk.

That's a funny way to put it. Maybe that's true. I definitely put the dude through quite a bit of angst but it's really just building off of the shitstorm that was his canon in the universe he's from. Domino effects, I guess. But still. *smacks looming writer's block with a broom*

The conversation regarding writers writing as different races other than their own needs to move away from this thread. Thank you.
sorry, would you mind elaborating a little bit? i just don’t quite understand why a discussion based off a legitimate pet peeve needs to move.

timshel timshel

It is becoming less about the pet peeve, the original intent of this thread, and more of its own discussion. You can always use Staff Contact if you have more questions.

if misportraying black characters is truly as frightening as you all say, and the research is as hard to find as you all imply (when there are ample, highly detailed resources on social media platforms that everyone uses, which are written directly by black people/poc who have experienced racism and prejudices themselves), all I can say is that I, as a black person, feel utterly dehumanized. either they sound like excuses and scapegoats for not actually wanting to put in effort to write characters accurately, or that black people are only seen as our struggles and oppression. that's all I have left to say on this matter.

timshel timshel

It is becoming less about the pet peeve, the original intent of this thread, and more of its own discussion. You can always use Staff Contact if you have more questions.

hey, I'm usually never in this neck of the woods, but I was finding this discussion quite eye-opening, educational and for the most part - peaceful and well-mannered. I understand the idea of the "original intent" of the thread, but as timshel timshel said, it was still within the realms of the "original intent" of the thread. If it needs to move that is fine, but does that not also mean that any kind of discussion that starts on this thread then needs to move? I just find it odd that this thread is over 90 pages long, with multiple discussions on varying topics but once it comes to race...it needs to stop? does this mean all I can do is like someone's post and reply once before it is considered a "discussion" which then must be moved? that sounds quite restricting.

can a thread be created that centres around this topic, or will it be asked to move? I just think education and the expressing of one's opinions are very important.

hey, I'm usually never in this neck of the woods, but I was finding this discussion quite eye-opening, educational and for the most part - peaceful and well-mannered. I understand the idea of the "original intent" of the thread, but as timshel timshel said, it was still within the realms of the "original intent" of the thread. If it needs to move that is fine, but does that not also mean that any kind of discussion that starts on this thread then needs to move? I just find it odd that this thread is over 90 pages long, with multiple discussions on varying topics but once it comes to race...it needs to stop? does this mean all I can do is like someone's post and reply once before it is considered a "discussion" which then must be moved? that sounds quite restricting.

can a thread be created that centres around this topic, or will it be asked to move? I just think education and the expressing of one's opinions are very important.
Because the truth makes people uncomfortable.

if misportraying black characters is truly as frightening as you all say, and the research is as hard to find as you all imply (when there are ample, highly detailed resources on social media platforms that everyone uses, which are written directly by black people/poc who have experienced racism and prejudices themselves), all I can say is that I, as a black person, feel utterly dehumanized. either they sound like excuses and scapegoats for not actually wanting to put in effort to write characters accurately, or that black people are only seen as our struggles and oppression. that's all I have left to say on this matter.
If you don’t mind me asking, what highly detailed resources are you talking about? Can I have links? I think that would be a nice thing to add to my list of “things to reference when writing characters” list.

If you don’t mind me asking, what highly detailed resources are you talking about? Can I have links? I think that would be a nice thing to add to my list of “things to reference when writing characters” list.
You can actually ask us too. I'm not ashamed nor afraid to discuss what makes me who I am and what prejudices/racism I continuously face. I'm not going to get angry at questions you may have but I also won't sugarcoat anything either.

i am very sorry if what i said might've come across this way, but that is not at all what i meant. i would never want to dehumanize black people through any expression of my own insecurities and faults-- i assure you that was 100% not my intention, and is not at all what i feel towards black people, either. i am neither trying to make excuses nor creating scapegoats to cover up for a lack of effort, nor do i only see black people as their struggles and oppressions. every time i play a mixed character, i honestly prefer not to focus on the struggles and oppression of their minority halves, let alone do i put much attention on their race at all, unless it is specifically relevant to the plot... in most of my verses, i actually edit out racism and most other forms of bigotry altogether, because, in a perfect world, it simply wouldn't exist, and in writing, we can create those perfect worlds if we wish. i just play the characters based around my idea of their personalities, and that's all. so, no, i do not reduce POC to only their struggles and oppressions (edit: or i try not to? i hope?? i hope it doesn't come across that way, and if it does please feel absolutely free to smack me with the truth).

everything that i said in my previous comment is only relevant to the plots where the struggles and oppression of a race specifically cannot be set aside, such as in timshel's grp search, which is POC-centered and seems to specifically revolve around the types of stories that DO involve putting a specific focus on that struggle and oppression. which i, personally, do not feel i am educated enough to portray, and do not want to portray inaccurately under any circumstances. even if i could do the research, to be completely transparent, my anxiety prevents me from thinking i would ever be able to do it justice ENOUGH, and that's what holds me back. not any sort of... dehumanization, surely. just my own personal mental block.

again, i am very sorry that what i said came across as any sort of dehumanization. i hope i have represented myself a little better... but i do hear what you're saying, and it is incredibly valid, too.

Last edited:
Additionally I find writing characters as gender/color blind also helps to start with.

Like I get that a lot with LGBTQ+ characters where it’s like just the existence of a bisexual character is going to automatically cause some massive change in the storyline.

And it’s like dude their just people the same as straights. The characters aren’t some radical feminist SJW having orgies in the streets. Their just regular people going through the plot who happen to have a physical attraction to both genders.

Same thing happens with color and gender. Treat them like default humans first and the rest just comes with practice.

Alas, I don't have time to read all the discussion threads, so I don't know about those other discussions in this one. One of the downsides of being on staff is that all too often my attention is only called to threads like these when conflict arises. That being said, I think it's pretty clear conflict has arisen and not everyone has been civil to those they disagree with, though at least you've managed to move on from that point and get back to being polite, if not back to the purpose of this thread. Which, if you look at the OP, is to vent frustrations, not to discuss or educate. Honestly, why shouldn't the discussion on playing a race other than one's own get a new thread? Doesn't it deserve it? Wouldn't it attract more people who might otherwise not see it? It's a great topic and one you're welcome to discuss, we just didn't think it belonged in this particular thread.

So please, respect that, and carry on in a new or other thread, or in PMs if you prefer those.

Now, to get back on topic... one of my pet peeves is when there's that driver ahead of me on the highway, y'know, the one going about 5 mph slower than I want to drive, but when traffic finally allows me to pass them... they speed up so I can't! And then slow down again when traffic no longer lets me pass. :P

lol Kaerri Kaerri i think they meant specifically roleplay pet peeves.

But that said I can see that being analogous to people who wait forever to post but then five minutes after their post up it’s a full on emergency if you haven’t responded.

I don’t get that often but it is annoying. Like Jeeze dude I need to eat and take a shower calm down.

Now, to get back on topic... one of my pet peeves is when there's that driver ahead of me on the highway, y'know, the one going about 5 mph slower than I want to drive, but when traffic finally allows me to pass them... they speed up so I can't! And then slow down again when traffic no longer lets me pass. :P

This and slow drivers in the left lane are the bane of my daily existence.

Ooops. Even I failed to be properly on topic, since I was so caught up in the discussion I didn't notice either the topic of the thread or the subforum it was part of. Mea culpa! Please forgive. I shall try again!

When I have plans for a character, not big plans, not even specific plans, just, y'know, "I'd like her to be all quiet and submissive, a follower, not a leader" and one thing happens and another thing happens and the impact of other characters' decisions have pushed her so far off track she's actually in charge of everything, and I don't know how to get her back to herself >.> (Note, this did not happen on this site, so please no one read this and feel guilty)

Last edited:
I know I've had a thread like this before on RP discussions here, but I'll say it again:
Getting into small fandoms is like hating yourself. It's all fun and games until you're like >_> but what if... what if I wanna rp x fandom?

Sure, you might get lucky (like I have currently!) but for the most part, it's a hit and miss. I've been wanting to RP this one videogame since last year but no one seems to know it outside a couple of tags on freaking tumblr lol. And it's so sad... ;_;

just to reply to this unanswered question, here's a list of Instagram accounts to scroll through that are run by black people and are focused on the black experience. some are more insightful than others though (some are more like meme pages) since I'm just going through my follows

the more educational pages are:
@mariebeech, @diversifyournarrative, @blackfemmesoul, @averyfrancis, @blckgrlmgc, @soyouwanttotalkabout, @byshara, @americanmachineco, @melaninanimated, @granvarones, @inclusivetherapists, @notsoivorytower, @brookeoflove_
here's more about the black experience in day to day: (these give more of a sense of how things look/how life is from our perspective)
@afrocentricwomen, @braidskulture, @boldmelanin, @embracingblackculture, @prettyshadesofmelanin, @themelaninshaderoom

Last edited:
so here's a list of Instagram accounts to scroll through that are run by black people and are focused on the black experience. some are more insightful than others though (some are more like meme pages) since I'm just going through my follows

the more educational pages are:
@mariebeech, @diversifyournarrative, @blackfemmesoul, @averyfrancis, @blckgrlmgc, @soyouwanttotalkabout, @byshara, @americanmachineco, @melaninanimated, @granvarones, @inclusivetherapists, @notsoivorytower, @brookeoflove_
here's more about the black experience in day to day: (these give more of a sense of how things look/how life is from our perspective)
@afrocentricwomen, @braidskulture, @boldmelanin, @embracingblackculture, @prettyshadesofmelanin, @themelaninshaderoom

like y'all see how many there are just from one person going through her follows? and honestly they're so easy to find on Instagram too, half the time all you gotta do is search "black" or "melanin" lmao
Thank you! I’m not much of an Instagram person (the account I have I only used to find faceclaims for two roleplays and I haven’t used since) so I probably wouldn’t have found these on my own.

Alas, I don't have time to read all the discussion threads, so I don't know about those other discussions in this one. One of the downsides of being on staff is that all too often my attention is only called to threads like these when conflict arises. That being said, I think it's pretty clear conflict has arisen and not everyone has been civil to those they disagree with, though at least you've managed to move on from that point and get back to being polite, if not back to the purpose of this thread. Which, if you look at the OP, is to vent frustrations, not to discuss or educate. Honestly, why shouldn't the discussion on playing a race other than one's own get a new thread? Doesn't it deserve it? Wouldn't it attract more people who might otherwise not see it? It's a great topic and one you're welcome to discuss, we just didn't think it belonged in this particular thread.

So please, respect that, and carry on in a new or other thread, or in PMs if you prefer those.

Just going to point out there is already a thread about that here: Advice/Help - Is it okay to roleplay as characters that aren't a part of your race/ethnic group?

I don't think I enjoy forum roleplaying anymore :[ like I'm in one right now and I couldn't care less about it haha

nerdy tangents nerdy tangents It's to the point i don't care -- I can't say they're exceptionally bad or really good. I'm neutral to the point of apathy, y'know. I think it reflects my enjoyment of the hobby when I can't even evaluate what "good rp" means for me lol

nerdy tangents nerdy tangents It's to the point i don't care -- I can't say they're exceptionally bad or really good. I'm neutral to the point of apathy, y'know. I think it reflects my enjoyment of the hobby when I can't even evaluate what "good rp" means for me lol

Not really. I mean I have had partners I didn’t like for no clear reason I could pinpoint. Like they weren’t outright objectionable but I still didn’t want to write with them.

A roleplay is powered by collaboration, so a lot of issues ultimately come down to - I don’t like this person.

I would try to take a break anyway but I would see if talking to other people helps.

Last edited:
Break sounds good to me 😪 Game's still new tho so I'll ride it out and see what happens but I'm deeefinitely not jumping into anything else.

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate when someone contacts me for roleplay, says they're interested, but instead of saying "Yes, this is what I was interested in from your ad" and then proceed to drop their ad in front of me. Like huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back