Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're just as frustrated as you over this. >_> It's an ongoing problem we most definitely intend to fix, it's just a bit of a mess, suffice it to say.

I am aware, It's sort of a part of the site's identity when you have been here for enough time. But it's been a long time.

I am aware, It's sort of a part of the site's identity when you have been here for enough time. But it's been a long time.

It's not exactly a world-shattering bug, can be frustrating at times but I can imagine there are other more important site issues going on ~ it'll be resolved when it's resolved. :P

It's not exactly a world-shattering bug, can be frustrating at times but I can imagine there are other more important site issues going on ~ it'll be resolved when it's resolved. :P

I have seen roleplays finish because of it, and whilst it isn't world-ending, it is annoying. I don't want my issues down-played.

Nothing. Just like how nothing is wrong if I don't do it.

Ah, yes.. you've won the conversation with a compelling argument ~ not checking something that you're part of and solely relying on using the notifications that you know are buggy atm. Sometimes being a bit proactive will mitigate any problems of missing posts.

Ah, yes.. you've won the conversation with a compelling argument ~ not checking something that you're part of and solely relying on using the notifications that you know are buggy atm. Sometimes being a bit proactive will mitigate any problems of missing posts.

Whilst you may appear to make a point, the one fact of reality existing nullifies what you're saying. I have to manage my time, I have other things to do. Roleplaying is a hobby, and is supposed to be my enjoyment.

It's not even a fact of the notifications being buggy, it's rather that they work flawlessly and then don't. When am I supposed to check? Especially when they work for some threads but not others. You make it seem like you handle it simply, but I do not and cannot. I do not have the time to.

If it helps, 2020 will be the last year that we will have notification issues, we are working on a big update that addresses a lot of these awful bugs. I will eat my hat otherwise.

Can we please stop with the genius child characters training since they exited the womb and have become the leaders of a squad all by the age of sixteen?

Can we please stop with the genius child characters training since they exited the womb and have become the leaders of a squad all by the age of sixteen?
I think capable child characters are an interesting dynamic, depending on your genre and style, but yeah they shouldn't be learning combat skills until much later--and there should be a reason for it. And they most certainly shouldn't be leaders, lol. Seems like this is a trope that people don't know how to write very well or immersively in my experience.

Except for me.

But Kakashi became a Jonin at age six so why shouldn't my character be one at age five?

Anime has a lot to answer for with this trope. XD

Anime has a lot to answer for with this trope. XD
In theory this goes back to the pulps, where characters like Doc Savage where trained from birth to be physical supermen.
It's just that we never really see young Doc Savage fighting evil and doing surgery on people at age 15.

I think the dynamic of a not so genius child is much more appealing. The kid who had to struggle Incredibly hard. Ender of Ender’s game comes to mind. My favorite book trilogy “The Night Angels” has an orphan who isn’t a prodigy. He’s just a kid who wanted out of his crappy life.

a perfect example of greatness is boring. Get that crap out of here.I’m here for the struggle.

I think the dynamic of a not so genius child is much more appealing. The kid who had to struggle Incredibly hard. Ender of Ender’s game comes to mind. My favorite book trilogy “The Night Angels” has an orphan who isn’t a prodigy. He’s just a kid who wanted out of his crappy life.

a perfect example of greatness is boring. Get that crap out of here.I’m here for the struggle.

Ender is a literal genius. He still has a struggle, but he is a child genius nevertheless. It's kind of the point. I'd say that Ender's Game is one example where a child genius protagonist works well given the context of the story. However, he would be a massive PITA as a roleplay character.

Ender is a literal genius. He still has a struggle, but he is a child genius nevertheless. It's kind of the point. I'd say that Ender's Game is one example where a child genius protagonist works well given the context of the story. However, he would be a massive PITA as a roleplay character.
He was a genius in a world of lots of other geniuses. He wasn’t special in regards to his intellect in that regard. But you are right. He was a genius. It’s just everyone else was too

I like making genius young people that are "not so genius". Even if you've been training since childhood in a secret death cult like one of my characters, that doesn't mean you'd actually have that much experience with people outside of said cult. She's really suspicious of anyone outside the cult yet trusts the cult completely, allowing her to be manipulated even when she's in charge. She has really strange gaps in her knowledge and her definition of "fun" certainly doesn't match most peoples, often leading to conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back