Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess being asked to come up with a majority of the ideas for a plot of my own devising and then having those ideas completely shot down :/
Ooo, I feel ya on a personal level. It's like when ya ask someone what they feel like eating and then they hit you with the "I don't know, what do you wanna eat?" You tell'em all the possible places you'd like to eat and they reject every single one (it's surprising how often this happens IRL ... or maybe that's just me and my terrible taste in food who knows). I understand, but if you don't like them then at least tell me what you do like so we can figure out what we're gonna eat. I took the food analogy a bit far, but you know what I mean.

Seeing fandom related RPs quickly getting replies for applicants, but when you do your best to make your plot for RP you get like 0 replies. Feels like time wasted....

Ooo, I feel ya on a personal level. It's like when ya ask someone what they feel like eating and then they hit you with the "I don't know, what do you wanna eat?" You tell'em all the possible places you'd like to eat and they reject every single one (it's surprising how often this happens IRL ... or maybe that's just me and my terrible taste in food who knows). I understand, but if you don't like them then at least tell me what you do like so we can figure out what we're gonna eat. I took the food analogy a bit far, but you know what I mean.
Well your name is Stale Biscuit, I'm not surprised you used a food analogy 😂

Seeing fandom related RPs quickly getting replies for applicants, but when you do your best to make your plot for RP you get like 0 replies. Feels like time wasted....

I think it’s just having a ready made audience. With most fandom groups you don’t really need to do any heavy lifting figuring out the setting or plot. With 1x1s it’s a little more split but that’s because your usually focusing on pairings so it’s a bit more hit and miss.

I would think of it this way. Your not competing with fandoms. Any more than you are competing with 1x1s.
In fact you can filter out fandoms entirely.

Your competing against other original roleplays. So I would look at what’s trending there.

And remember speed doesn’t mean longevity. I do fandom 1x1 and sometimes I’ll get three or four replies right when I put an interest check up, none of which stick around long enough to roleplay. And other times it will take months or weeks, but the person I find ends up lasting for a long period of time.

I think it’s just having a ready made audience. With most fandom groups you don’t really need to do any heavy lifting figuring out the setting or plot. With 1x1s it’s a little more split but that’s because your usually focusing on pairings so it’s a bit more hit and miss.

I would think of it this way. Your not competing with fandoms. Any more than you are competing with 1x1s.
In fact you can filter out fandoms entirely.

Your competing against other original roleplays. So I would look at what’s trending there.

And remember speed doesn’t mean longevity. I do fandom 1x1 and sometimes I’ll get three or four replies right when I put an interest check up, none of which stick around long enough to roleplay. And other times it will take months or weeks, but the person I find ends up lasting for a long period of time.
Hmm... I see what you are saying now. Thanks for giving me this different perspective. I'm just feeling slightly dejected that there is no immediate interest, so I start questioning the quality of my work, I guess.

When one person floods the group interest check with similar but technically different ideas to see which one will catch on (if any). Look, I get you really want to write a story, but my flags start going up if you've hosted more than two groups in the last two days.

I feel you on a personal level. I haven't experienced what you said here on RPN yet, but it is frequent in other platforms as well. What I do agree with what rae2nerdy rae2nerdy said, however, it is definitely frustrating to see hours of original work not being recognised. This is specially painful for roleplayers like me, who don't roleplay fandoms in general.

I think a good way to look at it is this - You are selling oranges to people who want to drink orange juice. What your seeing is the people who are selling apple juice getting a lot of customers who like apple juice.

It isn't really a competition because the people who roleplay fandom aren't the kind of people who are going to join your roleplay anyway. Unless your writing a premise that mimics that specific fandom in some way (ex. a mutant roleplay where the government is trying to register them ala the X-men).

I have done fandoms for almost my entire roleplay career, and back when I started out I did exclusively fandom groups (the only exceptions where as I said original roleplays that mimicked a canon concept.)

So I wouldn't think of it as your work going underappreciated. Because those fandom groups aren't your competition. Other original groups are your competition. So a better way to gauge your success is to select the specific tag your roleplay is under and filter for that.

I think a good way to look at it is this - You are selling oranges to people who want to drink orange juice. What your seeing is the people who are selling apple juice getting a lot of customers who like apple juice.

It isn't really a competition because the people who roleplay fandom aren't the kind of people who are going to join your roleplay anyway. Unless your writing a premise that mimics that specific fandom in some way (ex. a mutant roleplay where the government is trying to register them ala the X-men).

I have done fandoms for almost my entire roleplay career, and back when I started out I did exclusively fandom groups (the only exceptions where as I said original roleplays that mimicked a canon concept.)

So I wouldn't think of it as your work going underappreciated. Because those fandom groups aren't your competition. Other original groups are your competition. So a better way to gauge your success is to select the specific tag your roleplay is under and filter for that.
Let's not forget fandom RPs that try something new or different with their premise, at least by the standard of RPN.
Sure, some of those come off like they're trying too hard, or the RP runner thinks they're the smartest person in the room, or the idea is pilfered from a fan fiction, but it's something, right?
It isn't fair to act like every fandom RP is the same thing. Sometimes they're more interesting than the more generic-looking original RPs.

Let's not forget fandom RPs that try something new or different with their premise, at least by the standard of RPN.
Sure, some of those come off like they're trying too hard, or the RP runner thinks they're the smartest person in the room, or the idea is pilfered from a fan fiction, but it's something, right?
It isn't fair to act like every fandom RP is the same thing. Sometimes they're more interesting than the more generic-looking original RPs.
As someone who does some very bizzare fandom stories, I'm glad you said this.

I wasn't intending to say they're all the same. The point I'm making is that they cater to a different audience than original roleplays. I'm not saying that fandom roleplays are all the same thing any more than I'm saying all original roleplays are the same thing.

I'm just saying that when your someone who does fandom roleplays than your only going to look at roleplays in your particular fandom. You aren't going to be looking at original roleplays because that's not what your interested in.

Sorry if that wasn't clear the first time.

I wasn't intending to say they're all the same. The point I'm making is that they cater to a different audience than original roleplays. I'm not saying that fandom roleplays are all the same thing any more than I'm saying all original roleplays are the same thing.

I'm just saying that when your someone who does fandom roleplays than your only going to look at roleplays in your particular fandom. You aren't going to be looking at original roleplays because that's not what your interested in.

Actually I think it can sometimes be easier to get an original story going over a fandom one, as if you've got a weird idea for a fandom rather than pitching it to the whole site you're only really pitching it to those interested in the fandom.

Nah, I didn't infer that from you. I guess I misread Kuonna's post because it didn't mention anything about their RP being wholly original.

Actually I think it can sometimes be easier to get an original story going over a fandom one, as if you've got a weird idea for a fandom rather than pitching it to the whole site you're only really pitching it to those interested in the fandom.

I'm not saying it's easier or harder. I'm just saying the audiences don't overlap. So it's not so much that doing a fandom is easier and doing an original roleplay is harder. That was my core argument form the start. You are not competing for the same audiences so it's a false comparison.

It would be more useful to say - well certain fandoms are more popular OR certain fandom tropes are more popular.

As for original ideas - there are trends to look for but it's ultimately a game of chance. I know years back there was this weird trend on another site of Slice of Life roleplays based on Disney. Don't know why, but the site I was on would have dozens of Disney themed roleplays that were all pretty popular. I always figured that had to be one hell of a swing and a hit for whoever came up with the first idea.

P. S.: When I say "original roleplay", I mean a roleplay that is not a fandom one, simply. There are, as you said, fandom roleplays that are incredibly original, even more than some "original roleplays". I am using this expression simply for the sake of nomenclature.

Yeah I know. On here you can actually search by sub-genre. So there is fandom, futuristic, realistic / modern , and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. You can also search by specific tags : ex. super powers, adventure, romance, etc.

Now I can't speak to all group roleplayers but when I did groups that is essentially what I did. I would go to the fandom sub-genre on the site I was on and then just scroll through to see the roleplays I liked (they didn't have tags unfortunately).

On here I do fandoms - harry potter - platonic as my go to search for 1x1 partners as I find it helps me narrow down an overwhelming field to just the roleplays I'm looking for. I'm sure it's similar with group roleplayers. No one wants to scroll mindlessly through all the available roleplays so they're probably going to be searching based on interest.

Today's pet peeve:

People who ask you for your opinion and input for ideas, settings, characters, etc. then reject everything you say every single time.
Why don't you just tell me what you want me to say at this point?

When someone says they read your request thread, mentions nothing else about said request thread other than reading it but is readily willing to push out their ideas and plots, which if they bothered to read your RT in the first place, they would know you don't do.

When someone says they read your request thread, mentions nothing else about said request thread other than reading it but is readily willing to push out their ideas and plots, which if they bothered to read your RT in the first place, they would know you don't do.
My favorite is when they come to you and say, "I know you said this... but will you make an exception for this..."

don't answer timely they leave the conversation.
Alright I'll add this to another pet peeve of mine. I'm not always available to answer even if whatever system says I'm online.
I have some people who will nudge constantly and it's like, please. Chill out. Because this is so turning me off to wanting to RP with you.
Not every second of my day can be dedicated to you and sometimes, I just wanna answer other people for a while if I am online.

When I get this brilliant idea for a post, run to my desk, slam open my laptop (don't do this), then
poof-its-gone.jpg

Now I'm sitting here, unmotivated to write, and wondering what's happening on 90 day fiancee.

Not really making me angry. I get that people want to get their request thread noticed but bumping it several times in the same day, wow.

Not really making me angry. I get that people want to get their request thread noticed but bumping it several times in the same day, wow.

I would have to agree. You only need to bump once (maybe twice if it is particularly busy time) a day. It is proper roleplay etiquette to at least wait 24 hours before bumping your search thread.

guys, you know whats making me mf angry today?

ypur partner writing things that your oc is doing when you literally didnt write that or give them permission to do.
LIKE- I JUST- IM YELLING RIGHT NOW. I'm like so fuckimg mad about this. I gave my partner a second chance at our rp bc last time their character was OP, and their version of Canon characters was literally NOT canon. so I was like: see u never buddy.

BUT I CAVED. I'M WEAK.
my partner asked me nicely and gave me promises that they're changing so I was like: heyyy why not?

BOY WAS I WRONG
this is a fandom rp and we are in this scene right now and she's writing out a canon characters actions. and then all of the sudden writes that my character MOUTHED something, and then later said that the Canon character that I AM WRITING had a certain look on his face, mind you I didn't even say anything regarding that nor did I make my oc MOUTH anything ???? like WHY?! why would you do that?!?!?!

and another thing she did was adding in information that characters don't even know yet. she makes her OC just SPEW all of this info that literally no one finds out until later.. and she gives me some bullshit response as to why her oc knows this. im not having any of it so im like: uhhh this ain't it chief. it would make sense if she knew x,y,z instead.

so she's like: ill fix it. and literally didn't listen to what I said.

bro. I'm abouta drop this hoe again. like I'm not a mean person and I say things as a meme, but I'm just so mad right now lmao. like I've told my partner multiple times that all I want in our doubling fandom rp is FAIRNESS. I don't understand how that can be so hard for some people.

I feel like this partner of mine isn't paying attention to my replies too because some of the things they say I'm like: but this happened to this character, not that one.

I'm abouta call her out, but she has such a victim complex where she makes me pity her.

AND IM TIRED. OF. IT. PERIODTTTT.

THAYS ALL IM GOING TO SLEEP ITS LKKE 6 AM BUT I HAD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST. GOODNIGHT

GOODNIGHT

Oh man, have I been here before lmao. With an RP partner I've had for 6 years no less. Sometimes I just gotta tell her look, we're done with this story, you're goofing far too much. In her defense, English is not her native tongue and she follows tropes she sees online because she thinks that's what people like, but still.

update guys, I literally wrote her a pdf of everything that bothered me in hopes of her becoming a better partner or we can realize that we aren't suitable for each other. wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back