Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really angry but it's just kind of out there for me when I see characters being described as being submissive or dominant. I have seen it on different platforms and even here. Whatever happened to simply playing a character?

That’s relationship dynamics really. It’s short hand for saying my character is the “masculine one” or my character is the “feminine one”. It tends to fall into the old fashioned gender roles type of relationship dynamic.

That’s relationship dynamics really. It’s short hand for saying my character is the “masculine one” or my character is the “feminine one”. It tends to fall into the old fashioned gender roles type of relationship dynamic.
Not really, some of my characters are both feminine and dominant.

Admittedly I usually dislike "submissive" male characters more than female ones, but both kind of annoy me.
I play both submissive and dominant roles so I wouldnt know. Sometimes I do it. So my character approaches situations differently.

I play both submissive and dominant roles so I wouldnt know. Sometimes I do it. So my character approaches situations differently.
I don't mind the concept (in fact my future father in law is quite submissive and he's a lovely guy) but I've very rarely seen it done well. Most of them time it's some cringey K-pop nightmare of uwu soft boi madness.

I stay away from RPs/ers who say they play dominant/submissive character types.
I'm with Tove on this one - just let characters be characters.
From personal experience people use this as an excuse to play certain stereotypes that are far from what I enjoy.

Plus I've noticed a lot of "submissive player only" types don't tend to add much to the RP.

I stay away from RPs/ers who say they play dominant/submissive character types.
I'm with Tove on this one - just let characters be characters.
From personal experience people use this as an excuse to play certain stereotypes that are far from what I enjoy.

Plus I've noticed a lot of "submissive player only" types don't tend to add much to the RP.
I find it kind of odd as I always thought of it as more of a sex thing, so I don't personally use it. "Confident", "argumentative" or "shy", "nervous" work perfectly fine for me.

I find it kind of odd as I always thought of it as more of a sex thing, so I don't personally use it. "Confident", "argumentative" or "shy", "nervous" work perfectly fine for me.
I did m// roleplays for years. To the point now I have 0 interest in touching same sex RP relationships.
If I wanted to roleplay, I always had to play a "dominant" role. I am so over the dom/sub stereotypes that I just can't stomach it.
And no, "feisty, hard headed subs" are nothing new, different, fun, or exciting for me to play against.

And it was very much a "sex thing" but people also tied their personalities to it.
I'm just so turned off and bitter after like 7 years of that.
😭

I did m// roleplays for years. To the point now I have 0 interest in touching same sex RP relationships.
If I wanted to roleplay, I always had to play a "dominant" role. I am so over the dom/sub stereotypes that I just can't stomach it.
And no, "feisty, hard headed subs" are nothing new, different, fun, or exciting for me to play against.

And it was very much a "sex thing" but people also tied their personalities to it.
😭
Yeah it's one of the things that really puts off about mxm as the whole sub/dom thing feels really unsavoury if it's not developed properly.

😭
I used to play MxM but pretty much everything you outlined drew me away from it. It became less about telling a genuine story and developing characters and more about exploring stereotypes, roles.

May I request some anecdotes? I'm interested in hearing examples, as another GM myself.
Sure, the most outrageous example I can think of was a Fairy Tail rp in which the GM banned S-class (i.e the strongest type of) wizards, only for 2/3 of the characters to be "strong enough to qualify for S-class but since they never could be bothered to officially take to the test to offically reach that rank, they technically were below S-class."

Sure, ... a Fairy Tail rp in which the GM banned S-class wizards, only for 2/3 of the characters to be "strong enough to qualify for S-class but since they never could be bothered to officially take to the test to offically reach that rank, they technically were below S-class."

Wow, what a big-brain, subtle strategy. Got any more?

To be fair, it was apperently subtle enough for all of those characters to be accepted.

Yeah, another time I was in an DC universe rp in which the GM banned Kryptonians for balance reason, only for one guy to make a character from the planet crypton which just so happened to have all powers Kryptonians had.
I’m deceased lol

To be fair, it was apperently subtle enough for all of those characters to be accepted.

Yeah, another time I was in an DC universe rp in which the GM banned Kryptonians for balance reason, only for one guy to make a character from the planet crypton which just so happened to have all powers Kryptonians had.

Oh my god I had someone do essentially this. It was also a DC roleplay, kinda of a teen titans OC thing. I had said that players could have up to three powers and each power had to have an equal weakness.

Now this still allows for some pretty OP characters but tbf real Titans has some pretty OP characters anyway.

This guys basically makes a knock off of an original character who is supposed to be Superman powerful. I don’t remember the name but he was apparently a freed slave that got alien powers or something (there was slavery, time travel, and aliens I just can’t remember in what order)

I was like sure this seems like a really interesting character. But the weaknesses where an issue.

So this guy basically has Superman strength and flying. His weakness was antisocial and anger issues. I’m like yikes no. Give him an exploitable weakness.

The players response (a villain of comparable strength). And he was literally described as being Superman level strong.

Like who is he going to be fighting that’s that powerful? Superman? The threats we’re dealing with aren’t that big.

So I said no. Cue whining and bitching about how I was unreasonable and he dis what I asked and blah blah blah. I blocked him so he probably went on for awhile I just didn’t listen.

Admittedly, I'm making it seem a lot dumber than it actually was. Like, the planet said character was from is in fact canon to the DC universe so it wasn't like he completely pulled it out of his ass.
Was it Daxam?

This guys basically makes a knock off of an original character who is supposed to be Superman powerful. I don’t remember the name but he was apparently a freed slave that got alien powers or something (there was slavery, time travel, and aliens I just can’t remember in what order)
Like, slavery in the context of what happened in the real history of the united states? Because at that point it's just Icon.
Icon was cool.

As someone that done dc. I hate kryptonian characters mainly because they have every ability to god strength and only a few weaknesses. While alot of powers are not a disqualifying. I wish people take chance with actaully exploring powers like young justice. Which was the point of the series to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back