• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy 🐺 What we call home

For the first time since Aspen had come here he showed the person he usually was when he completely in his element.
Belanor liked him, even seemed to be certain that he'd be capable of raising the magical shield again.
Nooa was like a little brother to him and the first friend he'd made here in the village.
The elements had accepted him as an Aspenvale and clearly wanted support and help him.
And while Aleksios hated him with a passion he was surrounded by people who believed in him and put their trust in him. He wouldn't disappoint them, hell he'd always been someone to rely on.

His eyes locked directly to Alek's as he straightened up, gripping his family's staff tighter. With his height and broader build it was quite a sight to behold.
"I'm not going to disappoint Belanor, nor will I let the village down", he said, his voice clear and strong.

This seemed to be first time he actually acknowledged himself as equal to the other instead as some intruder who was lucky to even be accepted.
He was a part of this village and he'd contribute what he could.

"I'd suggest we get started right away. Kay?", he said as he looked between the brothers.

"Well, I said I would help, but I did not clarify when. Weren't you just wanting to learn of the elven history the last time we spoke? Is it normal for you to jump from one thing to another without focusing on neither?" Aleksios spoke, looking at the halfbreed with icy gaze. The change in his being threw Alek on guard and made his anger rise again.

Once more Alek found himself hissing at the outsider. His delight of not needing to worry just a moment ago was blown away just as quickly as summer rain caught you unaware, and there he was again, ready to burst of anger. How childish. Realizing that didn't really help Alek and he felt his mood just darkening. Ever since the damn halfbreed had appeared in the woods, Alek had felt like... like... he wasn't even sure how he felt but it most definitely came out as rage. It was really only yesterday he had met with the half-human, half-elf boy and in such a short time he had swooped Alek's life into out of the ordinary.

Alek kept his eyes on the halfbreed, staring like if he stared enough, the other would just go away.

Aspen couldn't help it.
Really.
He really tried, but this boy drove him up the wall. And when he was really, really pissed... He had a tendency to become sarcastic and just a bit provocative. And so the smallest of disdainful grins crept across his face as he looked down at the smaller elf.
"Well, if you care more about teaching our history to someone you hate, be my guest, I'm sure you enjoy stubbornly holding on to the past, but then you'll be the one to tell Belanor that raising the barrier will take longer than it has to."

His gaze flicked to Nooa for a moment and turned apologetic, he really wanted to take the boy's advice, but Alek drove him to the point of thinking about smacking the guy with his staff.

With a few small flames crawling up his arms he raised one eyebrow at Alek and shrugged.
After he'd shaken his hands for a moment to dowse the fire he turned away, walking a few steps across the room with his hands on his hips, shaking his head.
Come on Asp...

"Look, I don't need you to like me, okay?", he sighed as he turned to face Alek again. "But learning how to use my powers to raise that barrier should be of interest for you, too. This isn't about you or me, this is about the safety of this village. So can we please work together?"

With a frustrated deadpan face he offered his hand for a handshake, as if to make a peace agreement.
And internally smacked him with his staff.

The halfbreed really didn't get it, Alek sighed, trying his best to calm down. Neither was he able to control the elements around him and that was dangerous.
He ignored the offered hand and walked out.

Nooa looked after his brother and then carefully up to Aspen, unsure of what to say. He bit his bottom lip and let his gaze wander to the book he was holding.

"Alek isn't always-...." he tried but even he had hard time believing his own words now.

He knew what Alek had meant about switching from history to translating the books, it was no real accusation, simply a way to provoke Aspen. And he had bitten.
Nooa held the book against his chest.

"Can I take this book home...?" he asked quietly. "I-... I'd like to study it alone."

Nooa wasn't good with conflicts. They made him feel small and unable to do anything, no matter how he tried.

Aspen just took a long, deep breath, eyes closed while he focused on regaining his cool.
He could feel the elements growing impatient with the elf, too, most likely because of the way they seemed to want to protect him. And how he would have loved to just let the vines do what they wanted. But he knew he had to be above this bullshit now.

He glared after Alek until Nooa spoke up.
The boy immediately triggered his protective instinct, which made him smile a small apologetic smile.
"You don't need to apologize for your bother", he spoke calmingly. "You're not responsible for his behavior and I'd never hold it against you. I hope you know that."

But a certain thought regarding the boy actually brightened his mood vastly and made a real smile light up his face.
"In fact, I'm glad to call you my friend. Alek's lucky to have a brother like you. And of course you take the book home."

He gave him a brotherly pat on the back before he turned to light the fireplace by just asking the fire to burn. Hopefully Nooa wouldn't feel too bad because of the thing between Alek and him...

Nooa gave Aspen a small smile and left.

The air outside soothed the elven boy as he made his way towards home. The villagers were working on the fields as Nooa walked by, still hugging the book Aspen had given him.
The excitement started to fill the boy, with the book he would learn more of his magic and how to use it. The thought of being a healer warmed his mind, he had taught himself the basics of herbal treatment but having magic was so much more! Nooa felt his fingertips tingling as he squeezed the book with wide smile on his face now.

Nooa waved to his mother, who was tending the lilies outside, as he walked by and to the door. Inside he was greeted by his father, Saevel, to whom Nooa relayed the message of Aspen's roof needing to be fixed.

"So the boy got in the house?!" Saevel amazed loudly, causing Elyona to peek in to see what was so amazing. Nooa nodded smiling, leaving father tell the news to mother.

Saevel promised to stop by the house later on that day and Nooa hurried upstairs. Aleksios didn't seem to be home yet, Nooa listened, the brother was probably still cooling off.
With his hands almost shaking, Nooa placed the book on his table and sat on the chair in front of it, opening the first page and delving into the language of old elvish.

It wasn't until the room got too dark to read when Nooa awoke from his bookworm-mode. He had tried several spell with no result but most importantly he had learned about borrowing the nature's power for his magic instead of using his own. Depleting all the mage's own power will result in death, the line made Nooa feel shivers down his back and he closed the book.
The steps behind his door got him on his feet.

"Alek?"

The door opened and Alek stepped in; he was carrying his longbow. He seemed calm now and Nooa brought himself to ask how was the other. Alek apologized for his outburst earlier, telling him that he had no excuse for it. Nooa nodded.

"Did you find anything in the book?" Alek asked then.

Nooa nodded excited and explained what he had learned and that thewe were so many things he didn't quite understand yet.

"But I'm most likely not going to kill myself anymore with over-using it!"

Alek smiled and wished his brother good night, he was tired and would go to bed early. Nooa didn't ask where he had been all day, the bow told him most of it.
Alek always said that aiming soothed his nerves. While aiming at your target you couldn't be thinking about anything else. It was comforting in a way, to know that Alek was okay.
In a way Nooa was also a bit jealous, he didn't know a way to soothe his own mind when it started racing.

After a while Nooa sneaked to the kitchen downstairs and grabbed an apple for late supper. Once he got too tired to keep reading on his chair, he took the book to the bed with him... and fell asleep with it in less than five minutes.

As it was only early noon when Nooa left, Aspen figured he'd spend a few hours on training to hopefully cool down a little. He'd planned to leave with just his trusty knife to carve a branch into a bo staff, but when he was about to close the door behind him the vines reached out to push the Aspenvale staff into his hands.
"O...kay...?", he said a little taken aback. Had he just known that the elements were trying to make sure he wouldn't get seperated from the staff like his mother had...

While training in the forest he caught himself imagining Alek as his target a couple of times, but he really didn't want that. As much as the elf drove him up the wall, he just wanted peace.

After a few hours, when his shirt was wet from sweating, Aspen had a quick catwash before he headed for the edge of the forest to visit his human parents. He knew if Alek would see this the guy would behead him, but he wasn't his boss. If Belanor would tell him to not approach Khrais again he'd have to accept that... But what Alek thought about it, well, he couldn't care less right now.

"Aspen!", his mother greeted him with a stormy hug when he pushed the door of the inn open.
One might call it weird that he was still calling her his mother, but she was. She had raised him since he was an infant, he just had another mother now that he knew about Lennara.
"Mom", he sighed happily as he hugged her back. His father joined in the second he saw who had come over for a visit.
"So how's it going?", he asked, worry for his son clear in his voice.
"Well, I've been accepted into the village. Turns out my mother- my elven mother- was part of a family of powerful mages. They hope I'll be able to raise the magical wall around the village again... And then there's Alek."
Frownimg deeply he told them about the eternally angry elf and how he got on his nerves like no one before. His mother just chuckled softly.
"Aspen, sweetheart, have you tried talking to him?"
"I feel like I've tried everything! Really, I feel like a lion in a circus performing tricks to please its master so it won't get beaten up!"
"Remember Ol' Deacon Frollo?"
"Yeah, he's great, supported me ally life... Why?"
"He kept telling us that you, a changeling, are a child from hell, sent to bring sin and fraud into our life. But as the years passed he changed his mind as he saw what a ray of light you are."
Aspen sighed groaned silently before he looked into his mother's bright face again." But that elf is so annoying!"
"Just give him some time. Talk to him. It'll get better", she promised, her smile reflecting her unbroken faith in the good in everyone.

That evening Aspen didn't sleep all too well. Saevel must have been there to repair his roof when he had been gone, Aspen noticed as he came home, and decided to thank the man with some pastries he traded against two hours of reviving the vendor's plants.

He went to give them to Seavel the next day, and had a short talk with Alek afterwards after which they agreed to work together- for the best for the village.

The elf was oddly formal the following days, not even cold, just... As if he had lost his fire, what drove him.
He'd thought about asking Nooa what was going on with his brother, but honestly he didn't want to drag the boy into this. It clearly got to him, and he didn't want his young friend to bear the weight of a comflixt he had nothing to do with.
So he sat next to Alek once again, working his way through the book with him.
After a few hours he got up.
"I'll just quickly make some tea. You want a cup, too?", he offered, internally praying for a reaction that wasn't as worrying as his recent behavior.
"Got mint, wild berries, ginger or camomile."

Past few days Nooa had been completely devoted to the book of healing arts. So devoted it neared to addiction as the boy would eat and sleep with it, keeping the book always within his reach. He could understand a lot by himself, for the rest he asked help from his mother and together they translated the text chapter by chapter yet still the few days had got him through only around twenty pages. At times Nooa felt he'd grow old before the book revealed its secrets to him.

Nooa hadn't seen Alek that much after he had stormed out of Aspen's house but knew that brother had apparently given in and was translating the books for Aspen now. He left early in the morning and came back late in the evening.

Ignoring the halfbreed turned out to be a working solution to Alek's problematic behavior. When the other had shown up in his home uninvited to meet his father, Alek withdrew into his room upstairs, only to be called back when the halfbreed wanted to discuss the books again. Alek couldn't really decline in front of his father, so they had agreed on starting the studies the next day.
Alek left home early every morning, taking a walk through the forest and just taking in the chill morning air. Nature soothed him, as it did to any elf. After this morning routine, Alek headed to the halfbreed's house and kept recalling the feeling he had in the woods, managing to pull off the formal act through the day.
Once the day was done, Alek left and headed to the woods again, emptying his mind as he walked towards the old tree. While it only reminded him of the halfbreed at first, after a few days he started finding comfort sitting under the branches. Even if the halfbreed had come to stay, not everything would change in Aleksios's world.

The two sat beside the books once again on a warm afternoon, Alek had written down several keywords that repeated in the texts and while he was indeed fluent in old elvish, the book they were going through was older than his knowledge of the old. He massaged his head with his fingertips when the halfbreed stood up.

"No thank you", he replied automatically without raising his gaze and focusing his eyes back to the text instead. Only a couple of more hours and he could leave.

Last edited:
With a silent sign Aspen headed for the kitchen and made some ginger tea for himself, leaning against the counter while he quietly sipped at it.
His feelings towards Alek were more than strange, it was a weird mix of relief, confusion, concern, annoyance... He didn't really know what to make of it, but what he did know was that he was really growing worried for the other by now. It was so unlike Alek to be this quiet...

With a sigh, a small frown etched into his face, he set the cup down and headed back into the living room while he put on his long gray coat.
"Come on, let's have a walk", he suggested. The look on his face spoke of concern and care as he waited for Alek to get up.

Back in the forest, after about twenty minutes spent walking side by side in silence he stopped at the river. It's splattering sounded like distant murmuring to him, and even though he wasn't really hearing words he started to understand its distant, foreign whispers.

"Alek, I'm worried for you", he said softly as he turned to look the other in the eye.
"You've been so quiet lately, I can guess why, but-... See I'm glad you aren't snarling at me anymore every second of the day, but, just-... If there's anything I can do... I know you think I'm some asshole, but I really don't mean to cause you any harm or something..."

Last edited:
Alek stayed silent.

When the halfbreed had dragged him outside the village without his bow, he had been furious. No one in their right mind pranced around the woods unarmed.
Obviously the half-human didn't understand such things! Alek's anger subsided lightly as they walked, he was too focused on listening to his environment.
When the halfling spoke again, Alek bit his lip to remain calm.

"I don't care what makes you happy, nor what do you think I think of you", the elven boy spoke, his eyes revealing no emotion.
"I want to get the translating to an end and just be done with you." he continued, his voice giving away tiredness. Alek didn't care if everyone else in the village loved the halfbreed, he would not. The guy was still part human and would never pass as an elf. Angrily he walked up to the river and looked into the swirling water rushing by. It came somewhere from the mountains with force, raging like Alek's thoughts.

"I simply want you gone from my life."

It was like something hot wired in Aspen. Damn it, hadn't he tried everything to make things between Alek and him ease up and get better, but every step forward seemed to be followed by two steps back.
This guy would drive him insane one day!

He tried to think of Nooa, tried to tell himself that yet another argument between them would only hurt his friend, but although he wanted to protect him the younger elf something about Alek just made him snap.
He'd never experienced anyone before causing him such emotional turmoil, this weird mix of positive and negative feelings all mixed up into one giant mess.

"Seriously Alek. I don't know what's wrong with you, but unlike you I'm trying to fix things here. I just want to talk to solve whatever problem you have with me, but you've made your mind up before you knew me. I'm not some human trying to wage another war against the village! I'm an elf, too, or could a human do something like this?!"

With a flick of his hand he allowed the river to do what it had been wanting to do for a while now-
It sent a jet of water splashing right into Alek's face, while Aspen was just smirking sarcastically and high fived with another jet of water sent by the river.

Last edited:
Soaking wet Alek looked at the halfbreed, eyes filled with rage. How had he dared to speak about not waging a war when he just started one!

"A true elf would never use their skills against another one of their kind. You're just like every other human, you proved me right yourself!" Alek raised his voice, scorn, and revulsion clear in it now. Whatever disdained hatred Alek had harbored towards the halfbreed before had now magnified tenfold. He would never be allowed back in the village once everyone heard what he had done!

Suddenly, the sand beneath Alek's feet gave in and he was pulled away by the river that now rushed him downstream in no gentle way.
The elf screamed in anger as the thought of the halfbreed's another trick crossed his mind but it soon turned into horror as Alek was having a hard time keeping his head above the surface.
It felt like the river was determined to drown him. Alek tried to scream again but water splashed in his face and made him try to cough it away.
The second time Alek swallowed water made him disappear beneath the water for two seconds until he fought back to the surface, panting, gasping for air.
The third time the water got in his lungs and Alek sank again, hitting his head on the underwater rocks. When he re-emerged from the water, he was no longer screaming.

Last edited:
Years ago Aspen had been caught in a landslide. That day his father had ran after him as the mid whisked him away for what felt like hours and pulled him out with nothing but his own human strength. Aspen had always been left to wonder how he'd done that, but today, he finally understood.
The rush of Adrenaline that surged through his body seemed to make him faster, stronger.

He ran after Alek faster than he'd ever run, jumping over fallen trees and ducking under branches in his way as he slowly closed up on Alek, who wasn't even screaming anymore.
"Alek!!", he yelled before he jumped into the river after the elf, certain it wouldn't harm him.
On a wave he surfed after him, trying to grab him, but without any success.
"Release him!!"
The river didn't react, it seemed to be just as caught up in its wrath as Alek.

Then he had to take a different approach.
He'd read about the two sources of magic, external and internal, and while he instinctively went for the right, the external way, by asking the elements for their support, it wouldn't work right now, he'd already tried.
The internal way would drain him off his energy, it was dangerous to say the least, but he couldn't possibly let Alek die.

"I'm sorry", he said to the river as he jumped off his wave and into safe ground, where he raised his hands and focused on his own energy.
All of a sudden the river slowed down, stilled, and started to flow backwards until the unconscious Alek was close enough for Aspen to drag him out of the water.

Breathing heavily he released the river from his grip and immediately got his payback as it sent a massive surge of water right into his face.
Unfortunately it had caught a fist-sized rock that hit him right on the forehead, knocking the soaked mage out cold with Alek in arms.

Alek woke up coughing roughly, splurting water out of his mouth. What happened? He saw the other boy next to him, arms holding him when he turned his head. It hurt and Alek fell unconscious again.

The forest was silent and it had got dark when Alek opened his eyes again. He shivered as he moved, his still wet clothes clinging on to his lean body. Carefully Alek crawled away from the arms around him, sitting up and looking around. The river was still raging right next to the boys, Alek remembered how the sand had just melted away and he had fallen into the water. It was a small miracle he had no broken bones, only bruising all around his body and a sore area on the back of his head.

The elf turned his gaze to the halfling. He had a serious-looking wound on his forehead.

"A-... Aspen..?" Alek whispered, teeth clattering. Had the halfling done this? Had he ordered the river to drag him under, nearly killing him? The wound on his head suggested otherwise and carefully Alek reached out his hand to remove some hair from it. It would need some treatment.

Cold night wind made Alek whine as he wrapped his arms around himself. They could not stay here.

"Aspen... Aspen! Wake up!" Alek tried again, realizing he had never spoken the halfling's name before. Heck, he hadn't even acknowledged the fact that he had a name!

Alek touched Aspen's arm gently, carefully shaking it to make him come to.

Last edited:
A silent groan was the only sign that Aspen was slowly regaining consciousness.
He tried to open his eyes for a moment, just to wonder why he couldn't open the left one... It was incrusted in the blood that had ran out of the severe laceration above his eyebrow.
However when the dizziness got too bad to bear he quickly closed his eyes again.
God his head was throbbing like an elephant was dancing samba on it...

He just wanted to fall back into sweet unconsciousness when he realized what had woken him-
Had Alek just stroked his hair out of his face?! His eyes shot open again just as he rushed into a sitting position, once again taken over by dizziness.

Groaning he slumped forwards and ran his left hand through his hair, but quickly looked up again when he remembered Alek was sitting right next to him.
"Alek!", he gasped relieved, the boy seemed to be okay.

Upon looking around he spotted a couple of vines holding his coat that he had thrown to the ground before he'd ran after Alek to avoid it getting tangled in some branches and slowing him down.
As he reached out weakly the vines approached to hand it to him.

"You know... You look awful", he chuckled torturedly and offered his coat to the other, who was obviously freezing like hell.
"Here, take it... You're cold..."

That was when it struck him-
"You said my name", he said surprised, and despite the pain he was in a small smile crossed his lips. Honestly he really hoped this was a good sign. He was so tired of all this fighting. Though he had to admit... It hadn't only been Alek's fault today.
"Alek, I'm sorry", he sighed silently as he exhaustedly leaned against the tree next to him. "You're right, I shouldn't have used my powers against you... But I swear, what the river did was none of my working. The elements seem to be extremely protective of me, but I can't figure why... Maybe because they lost my mother...? I don't know..."

Alek wrapped himself in the offered coat, it was too large for him, and held it tight around himself; it had a faint scent of... Aspen? Even with the coat Alek was still shivering.

"I know, I know..." the elven boy nodded at the other's apology. "I just wanted to make you leave..." he continued shivering. "But honestly.... I-I'm glad that you're here right now..."

Aleksios didn't believe Aspen would've gone to the lengths of smacking himself with a rock to make his claims believable. He did believe however that Aspen had saved his life and for that he was grateful. Alek wasn't ready to die. Now they would just have to save both of their lives and get back to the village fast.

"W-we can't stay here..." Alek gasped. He made an attempt to get on his feet when sharp pain shot through his leg from his knee downward and he fell forward.

What. The heck.
Had Alek just really said that he was glad he was here right now? Those words would've been the last he'd ever expected. The more he was happy about it, though.
But as much as he was happy to hear some friendly words from the boy for once he was worried for him. Aspen himself wasn't as soaked as Alek was, plus he was used to the cold - he'd spent so many nights out on the roof of the inn, even during winter.

Suddenly Alek fell forward, his leg was clearly injured in some way, so Aspen reached out to catch and support him.
"Careful!", he gasped a little startled.

There were a million questions running through his head, but Alek was right, they should get back to the village as quickly as possible.
He wasn't sure what kinds of animals were living here, but he really didn't want to find out by risking both their lives right now.
"Here, you can use it as a crutch", he offered his staff to him, still supporting the elf with one arm.
"Okay? Can you walk?"
Aspen winked, grinning playfully.
"Or do you want me to carry you piggyback?"

Alek gave Aspen a mortified look as he leaned on the staff, trying to balance himself, awkwardly aware of how quickly Aspen had caught him.

"Let me keep the little I have left of my dignity, please", he sighed, looking away but soon adding that perhaps slight support would help him walk after all.

Alek was expecting to run into a bump or two which would make his leg hurt, but Aspen was actually strong and held him firmly.
The situation felt embarrassing and Alek just limped forward in silence. Three times Alek needed to ask Aspen to stop for a while and let him rest.
The nearer they got to home, Alek noticed how tired the other boy started to seem, maybe he had exhausted himself in some way when saving Alek. The elf dreamt about his own at home, quietly suggesting that Aspen could spend the night in his house as well, they were both tired and should have someone watching over them, Alek's parents could do that.

It took nearly an hour to reach the village again. The night patrol had just returned from their rounds and Meriel was the first one to notice them. She called Tanel to assist her as he rushed towards the comers. Only when she was closer, she recognized Aspen... and Aleksios!

"What happened?" she asked, looking at Aspen since Alek seemed to be passing out again. The sight of the boys, mostly just soaking wet Alek clinging on to Aspen demanded an explanation. Tanel moved on Alek's other side and helped Aspen to hold him.

"Let's get him home quick, you're coming too, Aspen!" Tanel decided.

Last edited:
Okay, what had happened to Alek the eternally angry elf? And who was this guy looking just like him?
Aspen had a hard time wrapping his mind around how Alek was suddenly behaving so differently. Maybe he'd finally managed to prove his loyalty? Or something?
Whatever had made him change his mind, he just hoped it would stay like that. He vastly preferred living in peace, especially with the people he relied on. Working on translating the books would be much easier with Alek not exuding hate and disdain.
"Accepting help has nothing to do with losing your dignity. But if it helps you could hiss at me a little", he joked tiredly, his smile clearly showing that he meant no harm.

After several breaks Aspen sighed relieved upon finally reaching the edge of the forest.
Thank God, they had made it. Alek seemed to be close to blacking out again, and he himself was exhausted beyond words.
He barely noticed how Meriel and Tanel came running to help, he just kept holding on to Alek like a guard dog.

"We fell into the river", he mumbled silently, not even sure whether or not Meriel had actually asked what had happened. But he still made sure to avoid saying 'Alek fell into the river'. He figured Alek would be embarrassed enough without Aspen making it seem like he'd saved a stupid little boy from drowning.
"I made... The river run backwards to save us..."

Then he just followed Tanel and Meriel to wherever, maybe Alek's house, but he wasn't really able to focus on anything but what had been his number one task during the past hour- get Alek into safety.

Alek opened his eyes again when Meriel knocked on the door at the Silverwind house. Saevel came to open and his eyes widened when he saw the four elves behind his door, his gaze then focusing on his son who raised his head a little. Saevel opened the door wide open and hurried them inside, telling his wife to take Alek upstairs and get him in dry clothes. Elyona nodded.
Tanel turned to look at Aspen and smiled.

"It's okay, boy, you've done your part, let us take care of him now", he spoke softly as Elyona moved to take Aspen's place and they supported him to his room. Alek was still shivering, even more than before. He tried to say something, but his teeth were clattering too much.

Saevel looked after the three and then turned to look at Aspen, offering him to borrow some of his clothes and insisting that the boy should stay in the house tonight. Then the man wanted to know what had happened. All of it.

Aspen was barely able to perceive what was going on around him, he felt so tired, so drained... Like a black hole swallowing itself.
He vaguely recognized Saevel and Elyona and ply managed to let go of Alek when his mother basically had to push him away.
In a way holding on to Alek and supporting him had been the one thing that had kept him awake and going for the past one and a half hours, so when the boy finally was in safety Aspen found himself fighting to stay awake.

He somehow managed to change into some of Seavel's clothes, even though he couldn't remember how he'd pulled that off, and finally stood in the middle of the living room, leaning heavily onto his Stagg and still swaying like he was barely awake.
Well, he was.

"We... We fell into the river-", he sighed silently. "We were translating the books... Alek's been acting weird lately so I asked him to have a walk."
His eyes fell closed for a moment before he fought to speak on.
"We got into an argument... The river, it was angry... I allowed it to splash water into his face, but it got out of hand and dragged Alek under water and downstream. I-... The river wouldn't listen so I used my own energy to force it to release him-... And it got its revenge by hitting me with a rock..."

That was when his eyes closed for good and he collapsed to the ground.

Saevel acted swiftly and with Meriel's help, he lifted the boy from the floor to sit on one of the armchairs around the fireplace in their living room.
Meriel promised to watch over Aspen, as Saevel headed to the guest room to make a bed for the boy. He thought about what Aspen had told him before collapsing; the boys had finally clashed... and with dramatic consequences. Saevel wasn't angry however but believed that this needed to happen instead. Maybe now they could start building their relationship again, with no prejudices.
Together with the elven woman, Saevel dragged Aspen to bed, tucking him in carefully. Meriel said she would stay with Aspen, so Saevel could go and see his son.

Elyona had removed Alek's wet clothes with Tanel's help and dressed him in soft linen pajamas, Alek was too tired to groan about privacy, only let out a relieved sigh when his mother tucked him in.
He fell asleep instantly. Elyona pulled a chair beside the bed and sat down, Alek's shivering had calmed down a little but just in case she had given him another blanket.
When Saevel came in, Elyona looked at him worried.

"Do you still think that letting that halfling stay in the village was a good idea?" she asked.

"I do", Saevel answered. "I believe Aleksios has learned more about life today than during his whole life til now", he continued smiling.

Elyona smiled too, his son had taken after her when it came to forming opinions about the people outside the village.
She too had to be convinced outsiders meant no harm before she would allow them in their lives.

"I will look after Aspen, so you and Meriel can go home", Saevel said. "Thank you for bringing them home, both of you", he smiled then and shook Tanel's hand.
Together they headed back downstairs to the guest room, Aspen was sleeping quietly. Tanel offered his arm to walk the elven lady home and with best wishes they left. Saevel sat beside Aspen's bed.

"You are one remarkable person... First, you shake my son's world by coming here, next you do it again by saving his life", he spoke quietly and smiled.

Nooa woke up the next morning, sat up and looked around. Alek hadn't come home from Aspen's last night and Nooa had been so worried.
Even if he didn't want to get involved in their fight anymore, he feared that something had happened. Quickly he left his bed and walked towards Alek's room on the opposite side of corridor.
When he pushed the door open, he saw his mother sleeping on an armchair pulled beside the bed. Alek was sleeping too. Nooa felt confused, but didn't wake either one up.
Heading downstairs now and to the kitchen, he was greeted by his father, who was making tea and sandwiches on a tray.

"Why is mom sleeping in Alek's room?", Nooa asked raising his eyebrows at the tray as well.

Saevel told him the events from last night and explained he was bringing the tray for Aspen, who had stayed in the guest room. Nooa fell silent as his father left the room. Something had indeed happened.

Last edited:
Aspen was stirring during most of the night, caught in nightmares and with an agonizing, throbbing headache that would have woken him up hadn't he been this exhausted.

He was all alone at the edge of a clearing in the woods. The leaves of the trees all around were rustling in the soft breeze, clearly the work of his windy, playful companion. Something was different though, he could feel it, he just couldn't really-
Was the earth beneath him moving?
Aspen went to his knees to rest his hand on the ground to feel that he hopefully was being delusional, but unfortunately... He wasn't. It was moving, faintly but definitely slowly moving up and down... Up and down... Like it was breathing...
He felt oddly torn between fear and serenity. It was scary, that was out of question, but his usually very reliable instincts didn't sense any danger.
His gaze wandered across the unsettling clearing just when a beautiful, bright comet cut through the dark night sky. Beautiful... But why wouldn't the feeling of dread deep down in the pit of his stomach leave him?
Suddenly the ground was shaking violently.
Aspen looked around in panic, what was going on?!
His eyes widened when he saw the giant wave building up by the river, getting ready to devour him. Alek!
Where was he?!
"Alek!", Aspen screamed across the clearing, but got no answer.
"Alek!"

"Alek!"
Aspen woke up yelling the boy's name as he shot up into a sitting position.
When he finally realized that it had been nothing but a nightmare, he sighed and sank back into the bed again.
Wait...
This wasn't his bed.
His memories about yesterday evening were gappy and messed up, but he was 70% certain that this was the Silverwinds' house.

He exhaled slowly as he pushed himself to his feet.
God, every muscle felt sore. His body was screaming for him to lie down again, but he pushed on as he heard Saevel and Nooa's voice outside.

As he'd opened the door to follow the voices he almost ran into Alek's father.
"Oh!", he squeaked surprised, but soon managed a sheepish smile. "Good morning..."

"Well, good morning young man!" Saevel greeted surprised, managing to balance his tray once more.
"I have some breakfast for you. Since you're awake, would you rather come sit at the table?" he asked smiling, eyeing the boy's condition.
"Oh! And Alek is still sleeping in his room."

Nooa heard his father talking to someone and hurried after him.

"Aspen! You're okay!" he let out, relief in his voice as he saw the older boy. The thought of them both drowning had shaken the boy to his core, so seeing Aspen now on his feet made a weight fall from his shoulders.

Aspen released a breath of relief upon hearing that Alek was sleeping safely in his room. Thank God they had made it out of the forest.
The tray, loaded with breakfast, that the man was carrying made his stomach growl furiously, he felt like he'd been staring for days, but staying here longer and risking to run into Alek...?

But through the fogginess of his mind he could make out a faint memory of how the other had behaved differently after he'd dragged him out of the river.

He was worried for the guy, blaming himself for not being able to handle the angry river, scared to find him acting like he'd always done because, let's be honest, he still was exhausted. It wasn't really tiredness, though, it rather felt like... A part of him was comatose, it felt incomplete, yet not in the way of missing an arm or a leg...

Nooa's voice took him back to the here and now and made a smile cross his face.
"Nooa!", he said, glad to see his friend. "I've barely heard anything of you for about a week, is everything okay? How are your studies going?"
Turning to Saevel, Aspen's smile widened a little; still tired, but alive and glad about it.
"Breakfast sounds like heaven, I'm starving... Have the two of you already had breakfast or will we eat together?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back