• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy 🐺 What we call home

Noticing the stares of the baker and the elven girl, Aspen tilted his head in mild confusion and gave them both a questioning smile.
So business wasn't really buisness here... It all worked by trading...
So elves probably were less egoistic than humans. If humans would trade what they had everyone would try to gut everyone within a couple of weeks, most likely.

"What can I offer you for the cinnamon rolls?", he asked a little sheepishly, yet not a bit less happy. Right now it all still felt like a dream. He'd probably just need some time to let it all sink in.
Turning to Nooa he he explained "I want to contribute my part, after all I came here to learn and become a part of this world."
Turning to the baker again he added "If there's anything I can help you with in exchange for the cinnamon rolls, I'd be happy to."

Just when he wanted to ask Nooa about the inn, the door flew open, the little bell ringing violently as the gust of wind, apparently growing more and more insistent, made the back of his long, light gray coat billow out and lifted it over his head.
" What the-"
He had just brought his coat back into blace when Aspen was met by the wind blowing right into his face and back through the door.
"Gee, I don't know what's wrong with the wind, it's been this clingy ever since I arrived here... Seems to like me..."

"Okay... To the inn?", he suggested, still looking a little ruffled from his windy pal's assault.

The baker smiled and just waved his hand as if Aspen didn't need to worry about right now. Nooa would bring them enough herbs for two treats.

The wind baffled Nooa; the elements were often mischievous around potential magic users, but his 'test' had been several months ago, the wind couldn't be here for him.

"You know..", Nooa started as they headed outside with their cinnamon rolls - well, Nooa had only half of his roll left - and directed their steps towards the inn. "That wind was really weird"

Since the village was small, reaching the inn didn't take more than a minute. Nooa greeted the innkeeper as he pushed the door open and asked for a free room. Usually the inn had several as they didn't get vistors too often. Few weeks ago an elven couple from another little elven town had stopped by for a couple of days and then moved on. The village Nooa lived in wasn't too popular due to it's location so close to humans. The innkeeper handed over a key and pointed Nooa and Aspen towards the stairs. He was a tall man with the name Farsight on his nameplate he had pinned on his vest and he lived in one of the innrooms.

Nooa unlocked the door and handed the key to Aspen, it was his now.

Aspen agreed with an intent nod, as his mouth was stuffed with a big bite of the cinnamon roll right now.
He hadn't dared to judge, unsure if the elements usually were this... Upfront, here on the elven's grounds, but apparently the wind's behavior really was unusual.
It wasn't the first time that the elements seemed to have a particular liking for him, one time the water of the river behind his family's inn had just stopped flowing and bubbled like a purring cat when he'd ran his fingers over the water surface. Or that one time when the root of a tree had lifted itself out of the ground just to smack a burglar who had tried to ambush him.
But no element had ever actively tried to be close to him like this.

"I mean, the elements have always been a little weird near me", he finally said after he'd swallowed, "but not like that. It's like the wind is trying to lead me somewhere..."
Giving it a second thought the wind had always blown him towards the old cottage...
"To the cottage with the withered garden... I think", he added thoughtfully.

He turned his newfound friend when he handed him the key and looked around the room for a moment.
It was simple yet cozy. There were flowers at the windows, a bed with a soft mattress, a chair and a small table with a candle and a carpet in various shades of green on the floor.
"Wow, this looks great", he said with a smile before he took a seat on the edge of the bed so Nooa could take the chair if he wanted.
"I honestly am so excited and scared of whatever test Belanor wants to do tomorrow to determine whether or not I am who everything seems to think I am", he admitted with a nervous chuckle. "What will I have to do?"

Nooa sat on the chair suddenly somewhat lost in his thoughts. The empty cottage? Everything seemed to hint that Aspen really was the son of Lennara, even if no real proof had presented itself yet. Nooa didn't need it though, he already believed.

"I'm sure Lennara was your mother!" the elven boy concluded his brainwork and let out with triumphant voice. "And that makes you an Aspenvale-.." he then seemed to think about it. "Soo... you'd be Aspen Aspenvale..." the boy couldn't hold back a small chuckle for the repeated love for the aspen trees. He wiped a strand of blonde hair from his face and pondered.

"The cottage belonged to our old mage and has been pretty much off-limits since she passed. Belanor says it's not safe to go in because the elements might not allow it.. but you could probably pass them safely!" Nooa explained eagerly, eyes shining with excitement. The cottage had to be Belanor's test too since Aspenvale's staff was inside! Nooa jumped on his feet as he went on bubbling like he usually did.

"And why don't you go by Aspen Vale, I think it sounds nice; traditional and carrying a legacy. But since you're pretty much the only one left of the family, you kinda get the last word!"

"Lennara...", Aspen repeated the name of who most likely was his mother. It didn't ring a bell, sadly, but how could it... He'd been just an infant when he'd been left to die far away in Dalnacreich. What were the chances that a couple had found him that was on its way to settle in Khrais, just a mere few miles away from his dead mother's home? It was a crazy coincidence.

Sometimes he wondered if his mother might still be somewhere out there, but judging by the blood that had covered the lower half of the dress he'd been wrapped in she most likely had bled to death shortly after he'd been born.

A little lost in thoughts he hummed a melody that was burned so deeply into his mind and heart. He'd never heard his adoptive mother sing it though, so he figured he most likely must have picked it up just seconds after or even before his birth... It must have been something Lennara had sung.

Nooa's explanation about the old mage's cottage pulled im from his thoughts, but just as he wanted to reply his keen ears noticed something outside.
A melody.
A melody that was burned so deeply into his mind and heart.
Giving Nooa a quizzical look he headed for the window to open it, just to find a wind chime hanging from the edge of the old mage's cottage silently playing the same melody.
A smile crossed his lips as a feeling of finally being home washed over him.

His eyes still sparkling happily he turned to focus on his friend again. "So that's gonna be the test, hm?", he asked excitedly. "Whether or not the elements will let me enter that cottage."
His smile turned into a wide grin.
"Can't wait for it!"

At Nooa's suggestion he nodded thoughtfully. Aspen Aspenvale sounded quite repetitive and admittedly funny, but Aspen Vale did make sense. Nice and short and still it carried the legacy of his family... A family he needed to know more about!
"Who could tell me more about this family?", he asked curiously. "Guess I got a lot to learn."

Nooa had almost forgotten about the wind chime that had caught Aspen's attention. I had ceased chiming when the old mage died. Nooa shrugged, so many things seemed to have changed since her death and it was sad. Nooa looked at Aspen and thought about his question for a second. The elder could obviously tell him, but he as youthful as he was he still got tired easily and wouldn't benefit from hours-long conversations. Just one other person then...

"Probably Alek. He has literally absorbed every tiny bit of information the elder has ever spoken of", Nooa said carefully. "I'm aware that he dislikes you at the moment but be nice to him anyway, he'll come around eventually." Even Alek coudn't keep on being mad at someone as nice as Aspen.

Alek wasn't a bad person, just so deep inside of his bubble of elves against humans it was hard to make him change his mind. But he was also well behaving and formal and loved the history, that would work in Aspen's benefit if he so wished. Nooa encouraged Aspen to find out. Even though the half elf seemed to have forgotten the promise of talking about Nooa's heavy burden once they got to the inn, Nooa brought it up himself.

"So.. you wanted to hear about the expectations on me... and even if you no longer want to I'm going to talk anyways. The thing is... I have magic." Nooa blurted out, not really knowing how else to put it.

It was a feeling somewhere between uneasiness, annoyance and frustration that settled in the put of Aspen's stomach when Nooa told him that the best person to ask when it came to learning more about the history of elves and the families was Aleksios.
Wasn't that just splendid.
The guy would probably rather walk a hundred miles over broken glass than talk to him. On the other hand Aspen didn't have much of a choice.
He sighed deeply.

"Now you sound like my foster mother", he chuckled silently. "She always used to say 'kill them with kindness'. Even when she'd have to throw some drunkard out of the inn she was friendliness incarnate."
Still though... Dealing with a drunk clod seemed less unpleasant than trying to lead a conversation with Nooa's brother right now.

He really was unsure how to even approach the guy, especially as he had quite the sore spot when it came to passive aggressive behavior.
But Nooa had said Alek would come around eventually, and honestly he really didn't want to lead a life long feud with anyone here.

Then Nooa mentioned the expectations and Aspen hastily shook his head.
"I do want to hear about it", he clarified quickly. "It's just so much happening in one day that it's hard to keep everything in mind. Normally I'm not this forgetful, guess I just need a night to let it all sink in, you know?"
So Nooa had magic. Okay.
What exactly... Was the problem?
His gaze wandered around the room while his mind was piecing everything together. The magic shield had disappeared upon the death of the old mage. Why hadn't another mage renewed it? There only was one explanation that would make sense-
There was no other mage.
So he probably was all alone with his ability, left to learn everything on his own.

Aspen nodded slowly.
"I see", he mumbled thoughtfully. "You must be under quite the pressure. And let me guess- your brother is a master at handling the bow and arrow, that's why they expect you to show the same level of skill with your magic, hm?"
He thoughtfully chewed on his bottom lip before he looked back at Nooa after a while.
"I don't know if this might help you... A couple of years ago we had a man from a faraway country staying at the inn of my foster parents. His weapon of choice was a long wooden rod, he called it Bo Staff. I learned a thing or two from him, and the first lesson he taught me was to rest in myself. Calmness brings control over yourself, which again allows you to direct your energy to where it is needed."

Nooa nodded at Aspen admitting that his words made sense. Sudden bursts of emotions made Nooa often feel drained and dizzy and Nooa wasn't exactly the calm one. That trait had been given out to Aleksios. He thought for a moment and explained then that his magic was different - not the destructive kind.

"I.. heal wounds or at least mine heal when I think about it", he worded, continuing how he didn't quite understand it himself yet. Most of the books dealing with magic were locked in the mage's house and the elder's books didn't provide much insight in the matter. All he knew was he was definitely not capable of raising a new barrier. The whole village still kept on hoping though as magic was considered mostly as lost form of art.

And yes, Alek was a master in archery and it would have been amazing to match him in an art of his own, but Nooa had no one to learn from.

"It started only a few months ago, but Belanor won't let me go even near the mage's house. I'm sure I'd find answers there and... maybe, if you're up for it we'll sneak in there tonight after everyone's asleep!"

Nooa had sneaked around the cottage few times. He didn't sense the elements in the way the other villagers did - malevolent and evil. For him they were more mischievous and bantering but he would still not try to reach the door. The young elf had a gut feeling that even if the elements didn't see him like they saw anyone with no magic, he wasn't the one they wanted to meet and he did not want to be disrespectful. His magic was somehow tied to nature, he was sure of it, and upsetting the elements would surely harm his relatioship with them. Without really even realizing it, Nooa's palm warmed up slightly and tiny spark of light flew off of his fingertip. Nooa startled and quickly closed his fist. Sparks like that tended to make him feel nauseous.

Last edited:
Aspen bit his lip as he traced the shape of the flowers at the window with his gaze while he pondered on how to slow his friend down without destroying his hopes in Aspen being able to help him somehow.

"Look I... Don't think it'd be the best idea to sneak into that cottage tonight", he finally said carefully. "You see, I just came here. Imagine we get caught, we might risk me being thrown out. And if I really am Lennara's son and able to enter that cottage and get those books for you- wouldn't it be wiser to wait until tomorrow morning?"

He quickly held up his hands in a peaceful matter, clearly signalozing that he meant no harm at all. All he wanted was to avoid impulsively and thoughtlessly entering that place and risking both their futures. He was pretty sure he'd be able to help Nooa, although he himself wasn't sure why was that certain about it, but he wouldn't be able to help if he'd be told to leave the village.

"That doesn't mean I don't want to help you, don't get me wrong. I wanna. And I will. But we should think ahead a little more. For now-"
He pointed one finger at Nooa's clenched fist and smiled calmingly.
"- close your eyes. Breathe calmly and let your thoughts and emotions pass by like leaves on a river. What do you feel, heat? Energy? Trace it, what's the source? Somewhere inside you? Around you? Feel into it. You can't wield a hammer without knowing the strength of your hands."

Nooa did as told and took a deep breath as he closed his eyes. He felt the warmth coming from his own body, it was the feeling that usually ended up badly. The boy snapped himself back in the present and looked at Aspen eyes wide. He couldn't keep going, it felt like he was radiating his own energy away.

"I can't.." Nooa gasped. "I don't have the strength", he sighed and bit his lip. He realised Aspen was right about not examining the cottage in the middle of the night too, of course he was. With a given up look on his face, he stuffed his hands into the pocket's of his jacket. Nooa was bad at hiding his feelings, always had been, and the disappointment was clear on his face. He tried to smile it off. It was kind of selfish to even suggest Aspen to go and risk his life in attempt to get in the cottage.

"I'm sorry, I think I got carried away", the boy apologized with a small smile. Sometimes he wished that he had the calm demeanor his brother had, Alek never seemed to lose his cool. Except for when he had first met Aspen. And Aspen really had to be special to make Alek react like that. Or maybe just being part human was enough to trigger Aleksios. For a moment Nooa thought about the next day. The elder would be there and Alek probably too, he would most likely feel obliged to see this through.

"Are you planning see Alek today?" Nooa then asked. In his opinion, it would be best to leave it for tomorrow as well.

Aspen just smiled warmly as he got up from the edge of his bed to lean against the table next to Nooa and placed one hand on his shoulder, looking straight into the boy's eyes.
"No worries, we'll get there", he said reassuringly, and he meant it.
Nooa was such an open and kindhearted guy, he really wanted to help him, in any way he could. If he had to guess he was quite some years younger than Aspen, he'd guess him to be in his mid to late teens, and carrying such a burden, so much responsibility on his shoulders at that age... Wasn't that a little too much?

"Don't apologize, it's fine really", he said calmingly. "Look, I'll help you in any way I can, okay? Whether that's figuring out how to handle your magic or just listening when you feel like everyone's expectations are getting too much to bear. And tomorrow, right after that test, we'll see what useful books we can find."

At Nooa's question whether or not he'd meet Aleksios today, Aspen just shook his head, laughing a little tiredly while he ran one hand through his hair.
"I guess I'll go meet him tomorrow. I've had my daily dose of Alek and I don't want to find out what an overdose will do", he chuckled,winking to signalize he didn't mean it in a bad way. It just was a little jab at the guy's behavior this afternoon.

Nooa laughed.

"You better be careful not to end up liking him!" the younger Silverwind chuckled, covering his face with his palms. He really liked this guy.

After a good while of talking and laughing Nooa suddenly became aware of the time; it was dark outside. He didn't like dark and for that reason, he normally made sure he was hope well before the sunset. With a frown he stood up and gazed out of the window. Back when he was a kid, a large cougar had entered the village and attacked the boy. Back then Nooa didn't have his healing skills and he almost died at the attack. It was Alek and his arrow that had saved him. Nooa frowned more. Sure he had suggested sneaking to the abandoned cottage in the middle of the night just a few hours ago, but the cottage stood at the center of the village, unlike their house that was located a lot further away by the lake and the mountains.

A light tint of pink rose on Nooa's cheeks as he looked at Aspen, trying to figure out an excuse to either get Aspen to follow him or have a reason to stay.

Last edited:
"Hah, you'll be the first to know if your brother and I will ever become friends", Aspen laughed playfully.
Though he really did wonder, would Alek ever come around to at least not loathe him? It wasn't like he depended on everyone liking him, but he didn't need an enemy either.

As Nooa headed for the window with what seemed to be a concerned expression, Aspen's gaze wandered to the night sky as well, a smile crossing his lips.
He'd always like the night, the stars and moon shining bright, the black silhouettes of houses and trees against an almost black sky... It was beautiful.
Nooa however seemed less happy about the darkness.
Scared of the dark, perhaps? He did seem to be the kind of person to which it would fit, especially guessing by the blush on his cheeks.

The wind slapped an aspen leaf against the window from outside and Aspen couldn't help but laugh silently, shaking his head.
Either it had noticed Nooa's demise, too, and was trying to tell him to go with him, or it wanted him to come outside for a talk... Or something.
"I think the wind really wants me to come outside", he remarked a little bewildered.

"So why don't you come with me then", Nooa suggested casually, deciding not to reveal this silly truth about himself.

As the two left the room and walked downstairs, they were greeted by the innkeeper Farsight again. The tall man looked surprised to see Nooa out so late. Everyone in the village knew of the animal attack. He did not say a word of it though, only bid them both good night and disappeared into the backroom. Nooa thanked him silently.

The night was rather chill as they stepped out of the cozy inn, a sudden gust took them both by surprise, well maybe Aspen a little less. Nooa pulled his jacket tighter around his upper body and shivered. As if the darkness wasn't enough, now there was a creepy wind dashing around.

"The wind should just tell you what it wants and stop freezing me to death", the boy complained a little, but with a smile on the corner of his mouth. He noticed the scout squad getting ready for their night patrol on the other side of the square, in front of their unnamed building. Aleksios seemed to be giving out orders.

"I suppose that's your answer right there", Nooa grinned and pointed at the squad.

Aspen just kept a knowing grin in as he followed Nooa out of his room and down the stairs.
Sure, of course that was the only reason he wanted him to come with him. He totally wasn't scared of the dark.
After he'd waved the innkeeper goodbye he followed the boy outside.

Like Nooa he pulled his gray coat a little tighter around his broader frame, silently cursing himself for not having packed some warmer clothes. It sad fall, after all, it for sure wouldn't get any warmer for the next couple of months.

He chuckled silently at his friend's comment and had just wanted to make a comment back when Nooa pointed out the squad apparently getting ready for another patrol.
Did that elf never sleep?
"The wind must be trying to bully me...", he huffed wryly.
It wasn't like he had a particular dislike for Alek, in his book he was just another unfriendly guy who happened to be his newfound friend's older brother, but being able to avoid each other in a village this small probably was a little too much to ask for.

"Should I accompany your for the rest of your way home?", he asked, while keeping an eye on Aleksios from the corner of his eye. He would've taken the opportunity to ask him for some history lessons, but he clearly was busy right now.

Nooa was already making his way to Aleksios, waving his hand from the distance. Alek noticed him and paused his gear up. The taller elf's eyes darkened, well, turned colder actually as he saw who Nooa was with. Both Tanel and Meriel waved at the approaching two. There were no other squad members out at this time, they would take over for the early morning patrol.

"Have you been with that guy all day?", Aleksios asked visibly irritated as Nooa and the halfbreed got close. He wasn't too good at hiding his emotions either. "And why are you still outside?"

Nooa just smiled widely and explained Aspen was so nice he had totally lost the track of time!

"And then it was dark already but he decided to come with me even if I did't ask-..." Nooa's voice faded as he didn't want to mention his fear. Aleksios caught what his little brother was on about however and turned his eyes at the outsider.

"Thank you", he said seemingly using his formal tone to hold back his feelings.

"Hi Tanel, hi Meriel", Aspen greeted the two elves he already knew from earlier, and, remembering Nooa's advice to just counter Alek's frostiness with kindness, quickly added "Hey Aleksios.", cracking a bit of a helpless smile.

As Nooa and Alek were busy talking for a moment Aspen took the chance to finally answer the impatient wind that had been pestering him all day by silently whistling the melody from before.
Of course it answered immediately, the wind chimes ringing loudly again for a moment, before the wind wound around him like a cat begging for cuddles.
Aspen chuckled softly.
"Okay, okay, calm down, gee have you been lonely lately?"

His befriending with the wind was cut short when Alek addressed him with a short, formal 'thank you'.
He just lifted his shoulders and smiled faintly, a little unsure how to interact with the hostile elf.
"Ah don't mention it, I'm glad I could help."
Go! Ask! Now!, he told himself, after all asking Aleksios for some history lessons wouldn't be any more pleasant if he waited for some longer. Could just do it right now as well.
"By the way", he spoke up a little hesitantly, "I was wondering if you could tell me more about our history? Everyone tells me that I'm most likely an Aspenvale and... I honestly feel quite stupid for knowing a thing about this family."

Isn't he awfully cheerful, Alek thought as he looked at the halfbreed. And it was our history, as in his history already? Anger began to raise its head again until Nooa interrupted him by telling it was his idea to ask Alek rather than Belanor. Alek saw the reason behind the action, the elder one needed rest. And... the outsider had looked after Nooa, there was no denying that.

"As I was saying, Aspen's really cool and since you know our history the best, I think you should teach him!" Nooa assured. "You are so good at remembering details!"

Aleksios looked at his brother in disbelief. Since when had his little sibling turned into such a manipulative monster!

"I see what you're trying to do there..."

"And it's working, I'm succeeding, aren't I?"

Alek tried to force his face straight but he gave up and smiled at Nooa briefly. Fine, he'd do it but later, now he had a patrol to deal with. At this point Tanel interrupted the brothers with a suggestion of him and Riel taking care of the duty and Alek would take care of the newcomer. They'd be just fine with just him and Riel. Alek sighed, Tanel's adult excitement was almost adorable as he thought about the night alone with the elven woman. Finally Alek nodded, gave his orders to the two and sent them off into the night.

"Very well.." he directed his words to the halfbreed, straightening his posture. "I don't have time for you during the daylight, but you may come see me in the evenings."

Aspen has to blink a couple of times in disbelief, was that guy actually capable of smiling?!
He could see that there was something more to the angry elf than just resentment and arrogance, but as it seemed it was reserved for his brother only.
He signed internally, it was like he was trying to kill all the comfort the time with Nooa had given him. Being a person who just needed a certain grade of harmony between him and the people around him, it was exhausting.

Nooa's way of making his brother agree to his suggestion did make Aspen grin internally though. Clever. Really clever.

Though he wasn't really sure whether or not he should be thankful for Tanel's offer to patrol without Alek. He knew that the guy probably wouldn't be any nicer tomorrow, but it didn't make him feel any better about having to spend time with him. How could those two brothers just be so very different?
He watched Tanel and Meriel disappear into the forest with a small smirk playing on his face, which he however forced into a polite smile when Aleksios addressed him.

"Alright, great", he said, forcing all the bits of optimism left somewhere inside him to show outwardly.
"Where should we go to talk? The inn? I could get us some snacks at the bakery too, if you'd like", he offered.
Kill them with kindness, kill them with kindness, kill them with kindness -!

"We should walk Nooa home", Alek said, looking at his brother who smiled at him encouraginly.

The fact that Nooa liked the halfbreed so much was suspicious, but maybe it was just his curious nature taking over. Alek wasn't curious at all, yet he could still almost hear Nooa's voice telling him to loosen up a little and get to know the new guy. But for the love of the woods why did he have to be a human!? Half elf, Nooa would correct him and the thought brought another small smile on Alek's face. At that point, he realised the mental conversation he was having inside his head and pulled out his serious face again. They would leave now and preferrably walk in silence.

The Silverwind house was built further away from the village, by the lake. First the dirt road out of the main square went through large cornfields until it dove in to the woods for a while to re-emerge on the other side, narrowed to only a path now, where Lake Serene greeted it with its calm waters. The house stood to the left of the path, it was slightly larger than the average elven cottages in the village and covered with ivy. It was also one of the oldest buildings in the village, hinting that the Silverwind family had been around for a good while.

Just then the door opened and a woman came outside. She had long, platinum blonde hair and pale blue eyes. She was lean and rather graceful with her movements as she watered the white flowers in front of the house, lilies in fact. She straightened up as she heard someone approaching.

"Mom! We have a visitor!" Nooa announced excitedly and hurried ahead.

Aleksios felt like his own steps became slower the closer they got to the house. Once there, he greeted his mother politely. The elven woman looked at the mentioned guest; this was no elf!

"Who is this and what is he doing on our yard?" she asked with a cold tone.

"I decided to bring him here to learn of our life and history, he wants to learn", Alek explained, feeling like he was suddenly defending the halfbreed! Wouldn't it just be easier to have mother have her way and the outsider out of their lives! Still, Alek wanted this to be his decision, even if Nooa had pushed him into it, and that his mother respected it. The woman looked at the outsider again when Nooa joined in the defense lines.

"Aspen here has been approved by both Tanel and Belanor!"

The woman raised her eyebrows in recognition and nodded then, introducing herself as Elyona, the mother of the two brothers. She was still not too welcoming, but would allow the halfbreed to stay for now. Then she pushed a strand of blonde hair away from her face, in a very similar manner Aleksios did, and opened the door to the house.

The walk to the house was awfully silent, and even though Aspen would've liked to chat with Nooa a little he figured it would be better for his own health to stay silent.
He wondered what made Alek hate him so much. Sure, he was half human and they had started the war, but he had only been born when the war had been as good as over! It wasn't like he'd had any influence on the war.

He was a result of it, he realized, while they were walking through the oceans of golden wheat. Just like the fact that they had lost who most likely would've become their new magician after the old one's death, had lost big parts of their territories, suffered so many losses and the destruction of nature, he was a result of that war.
Maybe that was why Alek hated him. In the end all the younger elf knew about humans was probably how they had waged this war against his kind.
They weren't all bad, though. Sure, there was so much wrong with them, they stole, they murdered, they were loud and inattentive of their surroundings and themselves, but so they were compassionate, caring about those they loved, and hardworking.
His foster parents had saved him when he'd been just an infant, just because they knew he needed their help. And they had never expected any kind of repayment.

He slightly shook his head upon realizing that he'd been lost in thought until they had left the woods and were greeted by the sight of a lake.
The wind blew past his left shoulder, towards the water, as if to greet an old friend.

It was a second after Elyona's rather frosty greeting- she clearly was Alek's mother- that a small jet of water hit him right on the back of his head.
"Hey!", he eeked in surprise as he shot a warning glance towards the lake.
Weird, it wasn't especially windy, why was the lake's surface so riddled with waves?
Was it... Waving or something?
Aspen, now you're going nuts.

So he just followed Alek and Nooa inside, waiting for the older brother to tell him he could sit somewhere. He really didn't want to offend him any further.
"You got a beautiful home", he finally managed to say a little hesitantly. It was like walking on glass with Alek...
Maybe he should just address the tension between them? He wasn't sure, so he just but his tongue and remained silent.

"Oh, a guest? Welcome!" a loud man's voice filled the room and a tall elf with short blonde hair walked in. Nooa rushed to hug him and the man lifted the boy in the air and span a full circle making Nooa shriek in embarrassment.

"Dad! No!"

The man grinned and stepped forward, almost matching their guest in height, and grabbed his hand in a firm grip, shaking it as he spoke.

"I am Saevel, the head of the house", he introduced himself with a warm smile, much different than Elyona's or Alek's but just as kind as Nooa's. "Please, come sit with us."

As everyone followed Saevel to the living room, Nooa directed his steps to the kitchen. His parents were always drinking tea before going to bed and he would bring some for the three of them as well.

Aleksios sat down, glanced at his mother, and then began explaining the story of the halfbreed to his father. Saevel firmly corrected that the term 'halfbreed' was rude and should be avoided in such well-behaving family as their's were. Alek bit his bottom lip and nodded, using the word 'outsider' as he went on. Saevel nodded and turned his eyes at Aspen. It was certainly an interesting story. The boy looked like an elf indeed, if you ignored his broader bodytype, and if he wanted to learn about elven culture, he should be given the chance. Saevel did consider making Aleksios his teacher rather bold move, definitely Nooa's idea, but maybe it would do some good for him, too.

Nooa returned from the kitchen carrying three teacups, two of them he placed in front of Alek and Aspen before he sat down with his own. It was silly how Alek and Elyona eyed Aspen dubiously while he and dad were being like the most welcoming people ever. Ever since Alek had started his bow training, mother had hovered over him, pushing and prodding him to strive for better and better skills. Nooa remembered that few years after Alek had started to turn more like their mother. Nowadays he seemed to have developed a will of his own though, at least at times. Elyona had been a virtue with a bow back in her younger days. After marriage, she had given up training however and sometimes it felt like she regretted it. Saevel on the other hand came from a simple family of farmers and woodcutters. He was handy and was in charge of most of the repairing jobs in the village. It was his handiwork that kept the Silverwind house in such a good condition as well. In elven tradition the family name could come from either parent and Elyona had made it clear that only if the kids had blonde hair, they could become Silverwinds. If not, they would be named after their father.

Last edited:
A certain sense of normality washed over Aspen upon hearing Saevel's booming voice and found his hand being held in a tight handshake.
The man actually kind of reminded him of his own father. Foster father, mind you, after all he didn't know his biological father.
The way he'd spun Nooa around in a hug was so much like him.
They would've gotten along so perfectly. He could definitely imagine them sitting at a table at the inn, playing cards and drinking mead.
"It's nice to meet you, Sir, I'm Aspen", he said with a halfway relaxed smile. Now it was obvious where Nooa's friendliness came from.

While he followed the man to the living room his gaze followed Nooa, who headed for a different direction, for a moment before he took a seat at the table along with the others.
Soon Nooa came back with three cups of tea and Aspen thanked him with a smile before he focused on Alek's explanation of what he was doing here.
Halfbreed, how nice...
And Outsider wasn't any better! He didn't call him a rude lubber either!

Bite your tongue, kill them with kindness!

It was slowly starting to become his new Mantra, as it seemed.

"Thank you for explaining my situation", he said after he'd slapped a smile into his face and nodded at Alek before he turned to look at his father.
"There's not much more I can add, I guess. I just really want to affirm my good intentions. It's understandable that some people might feel... Uncomfortable around me, knowing that my father was a human, but I can assure you all, I'm not sharing the intentions of the people who started that war."

For a moment he looked Alek straight in the eye before he took a sip of his tea and couldn't help but grin happily at Nooa.
"That's a great tea!"

Saevel seemed interested in Aspen's human life and kept asking questions. His wife soon got tired of faking interest and got on her feet, announcing that she'd go to bed and that she expected his husband to join him shortly. Alek wanted to just leave as well, oh how much he wanted, but he sat still, sipping his tea, glaring at the unwanted guest. Human ways were so mind numbingly uninteresting. They wanted to own everything and what they coudn't own they'd destroy so that no one else got to own it either. They fought over power and status deserving neither. Aleksios felt so annoyed by how everyone just seemed to be fine with the halfbreed even when they surely knew how did he ended up being a halfbreed. Not to mention he was raised by humans, they just believed any word coming from his lips.. Alek stopped himself right there as his gaze had wandered on the mentioned part of the halfbreed's face. Quickly he got on his feet and headed for kitchen.

"I need cold water", he excused himself, raising his cup a little and disppearing from the room

Nooa looked after him, smiled briefly and apologetically to Aspen and followed Alek. He found his brother leaning against the desk they used to prepare food on. The bucket of water was right next to him untouched.

"What's wrong?", Nooa asked worrying. Aleksios shook his head and let out a tired sigh.

"He creates so many negative feelings in me that I get tired by only knowing he's in the same building", the older brother spoke quietly.

"Should I tell him to come back tomorrow..?" the younger one asked.

"Please..."

After a while Nooa came back and sat to the chair next to Aspen with a worried look on his face. With another apologetic look he explained how tired Alek was and that it would be better if they tried this again tomorrow.

"He... um.. he seems really anxious about you..."

Aspen sighed deeply at Nooa's explanation; as if he hadn't noticed that already. It seemed like everything he tried to make the other feel a little less threatened around him just ended in him hating him even more. Being more of a hands-on kind of person all he wanted to just talk turkey and get it solved, but he was pretty sure there was no way in hell Alek would agree to a serious, eye to eye talk.
The guy really was exhausting him.

Head in his hands he let out one more sigh and just shook his head faintly.
Wasn't he already doing his best?
"Really, Aleksios seems to enjoy hating me", he sighed, not sure whether or not the other would be able to hear them from wherever he had gone.
"What did I do to him? I'm really trying to make peace here..."

With another sigh he got up and gave Nooa a pat on the back, along with a faint smile.
"I guess I'm gonna leave then. Thank you for your hospitality and help, I really appreciate it. See you tomorrow pal."

His travel back to the inn was rather slow as Aspen was lost in thought and brooding about what to do about Alek. He hated this tension between them.
But it was late and so, as soon as he was back at the inn, he headed to bed immediately, laying awake for what felt like an eternity before he finally fell into a light slumber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back