What trait do you Love to see in Characters the Most.

Truthblade

I am the truth. Deal with it.
Since there is one for annoying ones, I thought I should balance things by asking which traits do you like seeing.

Just give me a moment to think of one.

Loyalty. 

No matter if a character has had issues in their past so as long as they are loyal to their comrades and a cause, that's all right with me. 

Patience, had plenty of people I've rped with with brash and indecisive characters. Patience truly is a virtue and a breath of fresh air

understanding. this is more a trait in the roleplayer than a trait in the character. patience and kindness are decent secondary traits. i get sick quite often and have many moments where i do not respond for long periods. i am very kind to others and understand when a roleplayer disappears for 6 months, the least you could do is to do the same for myself.

Depends on the writer in most cases for me. I may like a certain character type in one rp and hate it in another because of how differently people portray things. 

My favorite trait would have to be respect. Because it can be portrayed in different ways, and beautifully. It can lead into other traits, or be the line between a rival and an enemy. Character's who have respect for others, or grow respect for others, are typically more appealing to me. 

Insightful.  

As I work on showing more and telling less in my writing, it is nice play across from a character that picks up on subtle expressions and such.  Also, playing a character with a high sense motive, so to speak, is fun.

I like to see traits that people usually overlook in favor of something more positive or something they think would make their character more "cool" or "likable."

Neutral traits like maternal, impressionable, conservative, ordinary.

Negative traits like dishonest, anxious, self-conscious, cowardly, narcissistic, unattractive, absentminded, unreliable.

That's a hard question to answer. Nothing so simplistic to be defined by a simple sentence. A mixture of qualities and traits on the whole that make for a mature, down to earth character who's played responsibly, and realistically, in any setting... Whether it's your own fantastical world, aliens, gods, etc.

I mean there are tons of traits and combinations of traits and elements that work, provided they are done properly, by the right writer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Humor, especially an intelligent sense of humor. Clever humor, I suppose would be a better way to describe it, that's teasing and fun and sharp and maybe even flirtatious. 

I like to see traits that people usually overlook in favor of something more positive or something they think would make their character more "cool" or "likable."

Neutral traits like maternal, impressionable, conservative, ordinary.

Negative traits like dishonest, anxious, self-conscious, cowardly, narcissistic, unattractive, absentminded, unreliable.

Umbrie is Sweet and also has both a mother complex and an older sister complex. but she doesn't fight fair, because despite being a faerie and knowing death is temporary, self resurrection is still a painful process, and she is too trusting to the point it causes problems for her, and she is sickly and sometimes acts in a self conscious manner by literally defending her small frame and getting upset when people bring up bodily enhancement surgery, because, she wants people to like her as who she is, rather than modify herself to suit a form of desirability. so her self consciousness comes in the form that she wants to keep her small figure and wants to be seen as cute rather than as sexy. plus, she is constantly seeking validation in the form of affection from motherly or older siblinglike figures.

Relatable OR Exotic

I like when characters are not total edge lords, people who seems like you could know them. Those characters are quite easy to play and not necessarily powerful but they often make good partners.

On the other side, If you indeed make your character to be of a strange race, I want to see something else than an human, I'm tired of "He was raised by humans, He act like a human because he like it".

A primary character flaw.

I feel like farrrr too many characters are perfect. And not the type of "mary sue or gary stu", I mean there are a lot of "quirky" characters out there. A quirk is not a character flaw. Every single one of my characters (even npcs) have a primary character flaw.

genuinely kind and considerate characters. everyone is playing angry edgelords these days, it's gotten boring. i have a few characters like that, but they're absolutely everywhere on my main roleplaying site and it's so overdone at this point. 

Conviction - those characters that move the story along

Adaptability - characters that can adapt to changing circumstance without becoming a totally new creation.

Over the Top - anyone who exists at an 11 when everyone else is a 5. ( now provided they are paired with a player who has a sense of humor and isn't out to railroad everyone else )

Strength and independence. Even if they were to lose everything, finding the will to live again and make their own decisions is what I admire best. Sometimes they'll need someone to lean on, but if there are none, they'll find a way to persevere.

Ubermensch qualities, the ability to lead and inspire, tendencies to tear down societal concepts and standards to instate your own.

I love me some Ubermensch.

I love hubris. I like characters with a lot of self-confidence anyway, but characters whose self-confidence far outstrips their ability really do it for me, but only if they suffer real, harsh consequences for their hubris.

Lust, greed, and the general dark side of humanity. No person is pure good or pure evil, and it gives the character more depth and makes them more grounded to have the complex emotional matrix of an actual human, which, unlike what cinema would like to convince you of, is more than just romance and happiness.

Humans are more complex than good and bad responses, and characters that have an actual notable negative trait beyond 'gets angry' adds a whole extra dimension to that character that just can't be achieved through positive attributes.

Compassion

My friend in the first rp I ever was in had a compassionate character and he brought the others together. Every other character could count on that one character to care.

A primary character flaw.

I feel like farrrr too many characters are perfect. And not the type of "mary sue or gary stu", I mean there are a lot of "quirky" characters out there. A quirk is not a character flaw. Every single one of my characters (even npcs) have a primary character flaw.

do Sickly and Physically underdeveloped count as primary character flaws? i can see disadvantages to a childlike figure in combat. especially for a rogue type character/

do Sickly and Physically underdeveloped count as primary character flaws? i can see disadvantages to a childlike figure in combat. especially for a rogue type character/

i duno, depends how it helps develop your character. if it helps your character have some sort of arc, then yeah, if it doesnt then it falls under "a quirk", masking itself as a "flaw"

i duno, depends how it helps develop your character. if it helps your character have some sort of arc, then yeah, if it doesnt then it falls under "a quirk", masking itself as a "flaw"

the Sickly and Physically underdeveloped portions are truly never fully overcame. but the character developed some level of fitness to work against her illness and compensate her small frame as part of her storyline. essentially, she trained strength and endurance as a means to overcome her hindered strength and endurance as a self taught routine, using public guides, because she was tired of having lousy stamina. she was tired of fainting from hard excercise, so she trained her endurance for a matter of months and deliberately pushed herself. and still continues trying to upkeep that endurance conditioning. i mean, an 80 kilogram or heavier opponent can still wreck her 43 kilogram body in combat, so she uses her stamina to prolong her dodges and counters. the arc was about her learning to improve her endurance so she wasn't such a weakling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back