• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Welcome to Doxos (New Planet Colonization)

Which would you prefer ?

• Stranded on Space Shuttle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Planet Colonization

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For now, I hope you all are watching the thread lol. I'm too lazy to go through and tag everyone but I do apologize for taking longer than I expected. I flew from washington to texas unexpectedly yesterday, but now I will finish up what I had been working on for two days and make the character sheet for you all to work on!
Blessed be my friends ❤

So the gist of it so far is that the first round of player characters will be a Team A, and just after they crawl out of their sleepy ice caskets and got used to being alive again they gotta go down to the planet and check things out?

So, my assumption of how this is going to work is this:

First part of the storyline will be team A, mostly exploratory dudes who come down and poke things with sticks. They try to eat stuff and see what you can do on the planet and try not to get space sick. Their main goal will be to find a place(s) to put down the first colony(ies), and then we gotta start building them?

So, is team B going to be the rest of the crew, the big smart administration boys who will then figure out how they should actually live on the planet?

Can team B still be present as a side-story that will eventually merge with team A when team B gets there?

Not to mention I'm already asking hundreds of questions. Very excited.

Why is Doxos apparently habitable to humans? If there's life on it, how come we're already assuming we'll ever be able to eat it? What about the trace elements of the human body that will certainly never be in alien ecosystems? What if it's the same chemicals but of a different chemical handedness, like the turians/quarians in mass effect? Every time we ate a Doxos chicken we'd get super diarrhea, if that was true. Even if we can integrate ourselves into the Doxoan ecosystem, should we do so?

How can we be so sure it isn't already inhabited? Presuming no science fictional hypersensor, Earth still only saw into Doxos' past, not its present. If it was 100 light years away, we saw what it looked like 100 years ago. That means, if we just arrived, all the data is still at least 200 years out of date, presuming we got here at like 99.99% of lightspeed and thus it took a hundred years to get here. That's not planetary changing stuff but that could still mean ayylmaos could've landed here first. What if the aliens are mean? What if they're friendly? What if we can't communicate?

What about the political factors? presuming we land alone, there's going to be people who wants the new world to be just like Earth, with all the upsides and downsides of the society we made on Earth. What about the people who want to create a completely different society? As soon as we land, will there blossom separate political factions? New-Earthists vs Doxoans? New-Environmentalists and Environmental Isolationists? How will the society be governed? Is the ship's captain the arbiter of the law? Do we have judges? Are the security teams cops? Are we already a democratic society? Are we making an autocracy? Was all of Earth's problems because of too much freedom, or too little? Can we change the nature of humanity by being reborn on a new world? Should we do so? What if we just make another disaster from Doxos?

What should we do about our yet unborn children? Should we teach them everything, or just pretend we've always lived on Doxos? Should we teach Earth history when Doxoan history is more important to them? How do we determine what's more important? Should we teach the failures of Earth, or the glories? Should we populate Doxos as fast as possible or maintain roughly 30,000 people?

What about the technology that we have on the Kryptoria? Cryosleep is likely to be an incredibly advanced technology: You basically die when you get put on ice. We'd have to have something that can separately manipulate our cells to revive people in cryosleep. Does this mean our society already has access to macro-scale gene modification? Do we have nanorobotics that can be implanted into a person to change their DNA? That also implies we can create our own, totally arbitrary DNA strands. Can we make artificial life? Can we change Doxoan life? Can we change humans? Can a human adapt their own biology to the Doxoan ecosystem? Should we?

I can't wait to discuss all this shit in-character either.

Team A undoubtedly has the necessary 30k people to run a semi-functional (albeit a human one capable of failure) society considering Team B was launched 10 years after A. The ship can probably support the population for a good while so its not like food is an immediate issue. Which as you pointed out, the native biolife might not be edible not to mention capable of sustaining crops (should we go that route). But I won't really make broad assumptions so the space gods don't wreck me.

Last edited:
So the gist of it so far is that the first round of player characters will be a Team A, and just after they crawl out of their sleepy ice caskets and got used to being alive again they gotta go down to the planet and check things out?

So, my assumption of how this is going to work is this:

First part of the storyline will be team A, mostly exploratory dudes who come down and poke things with sticks. They try to eat stuff and see what you can do on the planet and try not to get space sick. Their main goal will be to find a place(s) to put down the first colony(ies), and then we gotta start building them?

So, is team B going to be the rest of the crew, the big smart administration boys who will then figure out how they should actually live on the planet?

Can team B still be present as a side-story that will eventually merge with team A when team B gets there?

Not to mention I'm already asking hundreds of questions. Very excited.

Why is Doxos apparently habitable to humans? If there's life on it, how come we're already assuming we'll ever be able to eat it? What about the trace elements of the human body that will certainly never be in alien ecosystems? What if it's the same chemicals but of a different chemical handedness, like the turians/quarians in mass effect? Every time we ate a Doxos chicken we'd get super diarrhea, if that was true. Even if we can integrate ourselves into the Doxoan ecosystem, should we do so?

How can we be so sure it isn't already inhabited? Presuming no science fictional hypersensor, Earth still only saw into Doxos' past, not its present. If it was 100 light years away, we saw what it looked like 100 years ago. That means, if we just arrived, all the data is still at least 200 years out of date, presuming we got here at like 99.99% of lightspeed and thus it took a hundred years to get here. That's not planetary changing stuff but that could still mean ayylmaos could've landed here first. What if the aliens are mean? What if they're friendly? What if we can't communicate?

What about the political factors? presuming we land alone, there's going to be people who wants the new world to be just like Earth, with all the upsides and downsides of the society we made on Earth. What about the people who want to create a completely different society? As soon as we land, will there blossom separate political factions? New-Earthists vs Doxoans? New-Environmentalists and Environmental Isolationists? How will the society be governed? Is the ship's captain the arbiter of the law? Do we have judges? Are the security teams cops? Are we already a democratic society? Are we making an autocracy? Was all of Earth's problems because of too much freedom, or too little? Can we change the nature of humanity by being reborn on a new world? Should we do so? What if we just make another disaster from Doxos?

What should we do about our yet unborn children? Should we teach them everything, or just pretend we've always lived on Doxos? Should we teach Earth history when Doxoan history is more important to them? How do we determine what's more important? Should we teach the failures of Earth, or the glories? Should we populate Doxos as fast as possible or maintain roughly 30,000 people?

What about the technology that we have on the Kryptoria? Cryosleep is likely to be an incredibly advanced technology: You basically die when you get put on ice. We'd have to have something that can separately manipulate our cells to revive people in cryosleep. Does this mean our society already has access to macro-scale gene modification? Do we have nanorobotics that can be implanted into a person to change their DNA? That also implies we can create our own, totally arbitrary DNA strands. Can we make artificial life? Can we change Doxoan life? Can we change humans? Can a human adapt their own biology to the Doxoan ecosystem? Should we?

I can't wait to discuss all this shit in-character either.
A decent amount of information has been calculated by the "rovers" (they are actually drones) that were sent to Doxos the moment the planet was found to be sustaining life. Team A is the first colony, and they will be poking with sticks but the drone have already identified a decent amount of toxic plants and different animals that live within the area that the Kryptoria will land. Yet, there will be many, many more plants and animals that will show themselves, so it will give the characters a sense of danger. So Team A has the necessary equipment to protect themselves a considerable amount, as well as build a safe haven or reside within the ship as well.
Team A will have a large amount of different colonists, like security, but also biologists, ecologists, doctors, midwives, botanists, any occupation that can be used to secure the area and provide assistance.

Team B will land in approximately ten years after Team A, which Team B will be set to land a decent way away from where Team A landed, to create another colony. The two will be in close connection once B Team arrives, so both of them can be played once they do arrive. Of course there is no guarantee that where Team B lands will be safe enough for a colony, and the two may end up merging to create a large colony. It will all depend on how we feel once we decide that Team B arrives, if they arrive at all. (ooooooo, spoopy noises lol)

I hope this helped! i know i left out a few details and especially wild life but i promise i am working on the current wild life that has been spotted by drones and their habits!

Team A doubtedly has the necessary 30k people to run a semi-functional (albeit a human one capable of failure) society considering Team B was launched 10 years after A. The ship can probably support the population for a good while so its not like food is an immediate issue. Which as you pointed out, the native biolife might not be edible not to mention capable of sustaining crops (should we go that route). But I won't really make broad assumptions so the space gods don't wreck me.
Yes, the ship has quite a stock of food. While it may not be the best luxury meals, it does have plenty of space for the colonists to live once the ship lands while the carpenters work on securing and building buildings that can sustain the expected families to come.

I do plan on there being crops to grow, but i haven't decided if they could be earth crops or if they should be Doxos crops. But, as i said in the previous post, there will be a lot more information, plants and animals for the colonists to find themselves. So i may make crops for them to find and grow.

The animals and plants that i create currently will have information if they are edible or not as well! to prevent anyone from accidentally snacking on one of the most toxic plants lol. I plan on all colonists having taken a class before landing to familiarize with some plants and animals so not everyone depends on the biologists while going exploring as well.

Tasteless Tasteless So what roles aren't being fulfilled that you would still like to see present?
Well, we don't have many carpenters, or roles that involve the wildlife and plants. Yet, i am not going to force roles, since there are 30k colonists, i plan on roles also having npcs that will work and get stuff done as well.

Tasteless Tasteless Not to bother you, but speaking of roles, will there be particular premade roles created that people will slot for, or will each character be able to choose what they like and create roles based on their best judgement?

Edit: Disregard, at the time of typing I didn’t see that you addressed the question a minute or so ago.

Well, we don't have many carpenters, or roles that involve the wildlife and plants. Yet, i am not going to force roles, since there are 30k colonists, i plan on roles also having npcs that will work and get stuff done as well.
I'm totally down for zoologist.

Tasteless Tasteless Not to bother you, but speaking of roles, will there be particular premade roles created that people will slot for, or will each character be able to choose what they like and create roles based on their best judgement?

Edit: Disregard, at the time of typing I didn’t see that you addressed the question a minute or so ago.
Hm, so i think i understand what you are asking. i do apologize i am very sleep deprived so i will do my best with this question.
while i would do just premade roles, there are so many roles that are needed for colonization that i think trying to write them all down and slot them all (even the ones no one has chosen) would probably kill me.
so, i will let everyone decide what roles they think would be needed for new planet colonization, and when i put down everyone's characters under roles i will only include roles people have chosen. (So i dont die).

I think letting everyone decide what they think for colonization will be good and hopefully not restrict anyone from their ideas. I cant think of any job that may not be helpful during colonization, besides maybe like selling or something.

i hope this helped!

On a different note, i finished the notes of discovered flora and fauna! i know its not incredible or flashy, but i did what i could with sleep deprivation! I hope you all like it and ill begin the character sheet now.

Why do they already have names? Wouldn't "Specimen (plausible earth equivelant)-XXX" be more prudent?

Why do they already have names? Wouldn't "Specimen (plausible earth equivelant)-XXX" be more prudent?
Possibly, but the drones found these species while the Kyrptonia was on the way. So how i saw it, was the scientists back on earth named them after seeing the footage that was sent digitally from the drones.

Here is the CS !

Take your time and have fun creating your characters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back