• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Order of Seven - OOC

Howdy, Im back from my hectic weekend. I see that a lot has changed in the story :)

I have been thinking about some changes to the character. one of which is questionable and it is one that I have not worked up the courage to tell (I wont have it as a part of the character but it has been burning a hole in the back of my mind).

Anyways, I have an idea of a product from the incident between the character and the wendigo- seeing as that would probably be a traumatic experience. I have done some research on a certain product if traumatic experiences. DID is a disorder which is characterized with a disconnect between different Identities, memories, and even voices. These identities would have different names, personalities, preferrences, everything except the body that they share.

(Dissociative Disorders | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness )

I'm still doing research on what exactly it does, and if anyone has tips on how to handle making a character with this type of disorder appropriately: I'll be glad to hear it (If this is allowed or approved by the gm of course... Im not sure if that is a good idea or not).

Howdy, Im back from my hectic weekend. I see that a lot has changed in the story :)

I have been thinking about some changes to the character. one of which is questionable and it is one that I have not worked up the courage to tell (I wont have it as a part of the character but it has been burning a hole in the back of my mind).

Anyways, I have an idea of a product from the incident between the character and the wendigo- seeing as that would probably be a traumatic experience. I have done some research on a certain product if traumatic experiences. DID is a disorder which is characterized with a disconnect between different Identities, memories, and even voices. These identities would have different names, personalities, preferrences, everything except the body that they share.

I'm still doing research on what exactly it does, and if anyone has tips on how to handle making a character with this type of disorder appropriately: I'll be glad to hear it (If this is allowed or approved by the gm of course... Im not sure if that is a good idea or not).

I don't have a lot of experience playing characters like this. I do have some experience playing with characters like this, however, as they seem to turn up in every third or fourth game I'm in for some reason. ;) So my feedback is largely of an IC and OOC perspective.

ICly, if these voices or personalities influence your character's behavior visibly, he's likely to be seen as mad and probably locked up in a sanitarium. If he had a really useful skillset, he might get a pass but everyone would be watching him to ensure he doesn't flip out and kill a dozen people or compromise the mission or something. Historic England (as with most places) had very little understanding or tolerance for 'crazy people'. That lack of understanding also meant that people with such disorders historically rarely recovered. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

OOCly, it's a risky choice. For one thing, it puts a lot more burden on you the player as you'd need to basically write out this mental landscape, what's going on in the character's head and be solely responsible for that, which is a lot more work than the average PC. Done well, it can be enjoyable, but it rarely seems to be done well. ;) Which leads to the other concern; the average player/reader is likely to skim/skip interior monologue. Er, or at least I do. Mental illness isn't something I personally enjoy reading, as I've seen enough of it IRL. So it's about your goal. If you're content to enjoy multiple personalities for your own amusement, consider doing it. If you're hopeful that suffering from a mental illness will be something other characters/players will engage with, you might wish to reconsider since I've rarely seen a positive reaction.

Your mileage in this game may vary.

I like the fact that you are doing so much research and willing to take risks, but I have a concern.
This character concept will be very complicated to play, and though I am not saying you shouldn't do it, I would like to see a character profile with the basics that fall into the specifications I have set first.
I am worried that this character will still have a slim grasp on their control which the Order will not tolerate. What you can do is delve into the character's mental state slowly over time IC and for starters just put a vague explanation and highlight a few quirks of the character, then, when you are feeling more comfortable with the character and their direction you can take it deeper.

I don't have a lot of experience playing characters like this. I do have some experience playing with characters like this, however, as they seem to turn up in every third or fourth game I'm in for some reason. ;) So my feedback is largely of an IC and OOC perspective.

ICly, if these voices or personalities influence your character's behavior visibly, he's likely to be seen as mad and probably lockednitarium. If he had a really useful skillset, he might get a pass but everyone would be watching him to ensure he doesn't flip out and kill a dozen people or compromise the mission or something. Historic England (as with most places) had very little understanding or tolerance for 'crazy people'. That lack of understanding also meant that people with such disorders historically rarely recovered. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

OOCly, it's a risky choice. For one thing, it puts a lot more burden on you the player as you'd need to basically write out this mental landscape, what's going on in the character's head and be solely responsible for that, which is a lot more work than the average PC. Done well, it can be enjoyable, but it rarely seems to be done well. ;) Which leads to the other concern; the average player/reader is likely to skim/skip interior monologue. Er, or at least I do. Mental illness isn't something I personally enjoy reading, as I've seen enough of it IRL. So it's about your goal. If you're content to enjoy multiple personalities for your own amusement, consider doing it. If you're hopeful that suffering from a mental illness will be something other characters/players will engage with, you might wish to reconsider since I've rarely seen a positive reaction.

Your mileage in this game may vary.

Splendid! I shall keep this in mind! thank you :D Ill try to find and avoid certain stereotypes within creating a character with this and I'll try not to make it anything light or edgy. I can also create conflicts not only with other characters but with himself and his own image. I have had a plan for him to fight this certain part of him that was indirectly caused by himself (long story) and changed his life; as well as it has become a part of the wendigo's form -that part is the second idea which Im not confident about-. He would have also has an aspiring goal to become a part of the Order, meaning that the thing that he despises is the thing that he must use to keep his dream alive. The extra personalities are there to build up this tension and essentially put more pressure to find some way to cope with this curse.

I like the fact that you are doing so much research and willing to take risks, but I have a concern.
This character concept will be very complicated to play, and though I am not saying you shouldn't do it, I would like to see a character profile with the basics that fall into the specifications I have set first.
I am worried that this character will still have a slim grasp on their control which the Order will not tolerate. What you can do is delve into the character's mental state slowly over time IC and for starters just put a vague explanation and highlight a few quirks of the character, then, when you are feeling more comfortable with the character and their direction you can take it deeper.

Ah, mkay. So I will have to keep it purposly vague to allow room for changes and adaption if the direction of the character is desirable. Sounds like a neato plan, stan. I can make him seem normal in the beginning (he may act different per day, but one may not realize this.). And slowly reveal the in-between conflicts and issues that will slowly heat up along with the outer situation that they find themselves in.

as for the control thing, he technically has control over the were-beast, just not himself. The identities are like other human beings, so they will also know the set rules and regulations set for the were-beast (some of them will know more than others of its uses). Rest assured that if you are fearing an animalistic rampage, that will not occur. He will act normally to begin with. - he -(or any identity that decides to change into the state)-would have full control over the Wendigo state.

I can semi-explain the other personalities in the CS (maybe in a "spoiler" to keep tabs with them) , then in IC I may explain their "memories" and their goals. Then I can slowly build tension between the identities and explain the conflicts that cause wars to erupt from within him as the story continues. Then it may boil to a point of drastic change to the character. that is the plan-anyways. It may be complicated, but it should go smoothly granted that I keep the pace correctly and the information untangled and clear.

I will keep this as a bookmark for me to look back on to make sure that I keep these two comments in mind. If you feel that I did not grasp it clearly (I am prone to do that...)I can re-read through and analyze the text as much as I can. Hopefully I got it right though . :D

Last edited:
Alrighty, I filled out the cs...
But Im not confident in it's excecution. I need a "fresh pair of eyes" to quickly skim it for errors and such, as I am likely to miss many of them. :/

Panzer Panzer

This CS has several of the problems I was trying to warn you against. Your character was admitted to an asylum. In this world the Order wouldn't have taken him in, at the first sight of instability they would likely have killed him. He also has no significant or unique skills to recommend him to a specialized task force, I still don't think you have a good grasp of the story's framework.

I'm going to make a post tonight or tomorrow, SirGrey SirGrey may I borrow your rat? Or if you were going to post before me, you can find the boy in your post.

Well I posted again, I hope y'all don't mind. The itch to write was far greater than waiting. Plus there was so much to go off of I thought it best not to wait.

Great post Silver.

Now just to be clear those three masked people in the last paragraph of your post. I'm assuming you want the group to not see them correct? Also, I figure that vial in the kids neck ain't a good thing lol....

Sad.

Great post Silver.

Now just to be clear those three masked people in the last paragraph of your post. I'm assuming you want the group to not see them correct? Also, I figure that vial in the kids neck ain't a good thing lol....

Sad.
I mentioned them so you can do what you wish. I would tell you IC if they weren't supposed to be seen.

Beaurmont Beaurmont accepted. Our companions are in the London slums, in a run-down apartment building room. We've just caught the boy witness to the case and there are assassins coming up through the staircase and one on the roof of the adjacent building.

I want my next post to be polished and up to standards, so I'll have one up on Monday. I have house chores and I'm gonna be out of town, then on Sunday I'm gonna be working thanks to American Football Season.

Hate to sound like a broken record here. I'm just curious to know how everyone's posting is coming. I guess one could call me eager lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back