• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Nation Building The Last War OOC

The Swedish - Russian deal was a trade between two players, which  makes a difference. Sweden directly acquired it from another player in a deal that saw a mutually beneficial exchange. 

The Norway - Denmark deal is between a player and an npc. I haven't seen why Denmark would agree yet, but I won't challenge it if the mods ok-ed it. Could make for interesting competition between Sweden and Norway. 

I hope you don't think I was trying to stir the pot any more, just wanted to use that event as an example of events unfolding. The player interaction is the obvious difference but it doesn't negate the event being a bit unrealistic. More like a what if scenario, either way it makes for good fun! 

On a side not I did PM with @Jolteon about and have to continually do so. 

Everyone calm down about the nordic union thing- I assure you its balanced. I did think it through and Denmark will still have disagreements with Norway. Its much more like close allies than annexation.

@Bloodmancer  Check out what @Gregor said.

*Likes the idea but considers the probability of a convenient "gas line" explosion*

what?! you think this is just a ploy to kill the English monarch ? don't be stupid .

*hides pipe bomb*

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone calm down about the nordic union thing- I assure you its balanced. I did think it through and Denmark will still have disagreements with Norway. Its much more like close allies than annexation.

@Bloodmancer  Check out what @Gregor said.

In realism, it wouldnt be disagreements, it'd be revolution.

Also... wait tech cap is 1918  off the bat?

Im about to have way too much fun.

Reading back through the turns, Sweden also did some sht that should piss a lot of her citizens off.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lordvader59 You have good points but you also have to remember that if it was completely realistic, we would just be writing down what actually happened. If a country lessened some of its taxes to improve something then you could make the augment that the king would never let that happen, etc. Somethings have to be downplayed or over exaggerated in order to have an rp.

I'll edit this/make a new comment answering the tech cap question.

Reading back through the turns, Sweden also did some sht that should piss a lot of her citizens off.

Fuck, I may have misunderstood you. What I mean is that if it fits the time where it was in development then research it (for example, research fighters es in 1914 and get them 1915 etc.). I thought you meant overall in the war. Whoops.

Like what? (:

I'm curious to hear your thoughts, nationalizing the steel industry and prioritizing worker's rights might make some upper class citizens mad, but it's aimed at diffusing labor tensions...I think the 1910's Swedish working class would be jumping for joy. That's a huge victory for leftists. It also goes in the direction the country was moving, just hopefully not too fast. 

Increasing the size of the military might turn some heads, but it's a policy that was trying to be implemented by the conservatives who were in power at the time. That'd be a right wing victory.

Readmitting Finland as part of Sweden...that'll be a huge shock in the papers, but conservatives remembering the Swedish empire will be elated. So will leftists against Russian occupation of the land. I'd say that's a victory for the whole nation. It also strengthens the national identity, even as neutrals, Swedes viewed their ancestors as a martial culture with pride and justified neutrality as 'armed neutrality'. There was a much different culture in the past then there is now. 

Like what? (:

I'm curious to hear your thoughts, nationalizing the steel industry and prioritizing worker's rights might make some upper class citizens mad, but it's aimed at diffusing labor tensions...I think the 1910's Swedish working class would be jumping for joy. That's a huge victory for leftists. It also goes in the direction the country was moving, just hopefully not too fast. 

Increasing the size of the military might turn some heads, but it's a policy that was trying to be implemented by the conservatives who were in power at the time. That'd be a right wing victory.

Readmitting Finland as part of Sweden...that'll be a huge shock in the papers, but conservatives remembering the Swedish empire will be elated. So will leftists against Russian occupation of the land. I'd say that's a victory for the whole nation. It also strengthens the national identity, even as neutrals, Swedes viewed their ancestors as a martial culture with pride and justified neutrality as 'armed neutrality'. There was a much different culture in the past then there is now. 

The main thing I noticed is the MDA with Germany. Sweden is historically a neutral nation, and it's people like that. The nationalization of the steel industry will also, now that you mention it, piss off business owners who will have just lost everything, but not to the extent of the MDA.-

The main thing I noticed is the MDA with Germany. Sweden is historically a neutral nation, and it's people like that. The nationalization of the steel industry will also, now that you mention it, piss off business owners who will have just lost everything, but not to the extent of the MDA.-

Nationalization- Business owners won't lose everything, I should note on my post that I intend for them to be reimbursed at a fair price for the government's takeover, also, they may remain in control but under the direction of a government director. 

MDA- I don't think this should cause any ruffled feathers. Most of Sweden's neutral culture came from sitting out both world wars, which hasn't happened yet. Sweden's early history as actually very martial...Vikings and later the Swedish Empire and such. Historically, Germany and Sweden have been very close. Sweden traded heavily with Germany during the First World War and at one point almost entered beside her in order to justify invading Russia and retaking Finland. That fell heavily out of popularity as the war developed. During the war, the two did aid each other in taking from Russia a group islands, which were surrendered to Finland after its independence from Russia in an incident that almost saw a Swedish-Finland War. 

The MDA with Russia...that should cause argument, but I think the prize will justifdy it. Regaining Finland should poke holes in the Swedish people's dislike for Russia, even if it doesn't remove the distrust. 

Fuck, I may have misunderstood you. What I mean is that if it fits the time where it was in development then research it (for example, research fighters es in 1914 and get them 1915 etc.). I thought you meant overall in the war. Whoops.

So a 1 year rolling or is it just the technological abilities nations had at the time? Because most nations have Semi-Auto rifle designs and I know of 2 who have access to tanks already. 

So a 1 year rolling or is it just the technological abilities nations had at the time? Because most nations have Semi-Auto rifle designs and I know of 2 who have access to tanks already. 

I guess we'll have to wait for Jolteon to write it down. Idk

How will fighting play out? Like when two nations go to war against each other? Is there going to be grand strategy involved or is it simply bigger country/bigger army wins? 

How will fighting play out? Like when two nations go to war against each other? Is there going to be grand strategy involved or is it simply bigger country/bigger army wins? 

Basic strategy exists but nothing complicated. If a bunch of infantry go up against a fortified position with little troops, the defending team will have a chance at victory depending on what equipment both sides have. 

Attacking team submits orders about the attack (optionally detailed). If the defender has defensive orders, then they're taken into account. If not, then the defense is assumed as a basic defensive line. 

Depending on the moderator, the attacking side will make a move to which the defender will counter. Depending on the result, then the defender will be able to make a move where the attacker will have to counter. This is initiative (who makes the first move in any engagement or period of an engagement). 

That's what we've talked about trying and it's the best system I've ever seen but we'll see how it looks when we get to that point...

unless someone wants to play wargames with the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back