The Force of Justice - OOC Thread

QuickSmasherEXE QuickSmasherEXE

To go over a few things, there is a Talent called Combat Luck. Each level you purchase gives you 3 PD 3 ED Resistant damage resistance at the cost of 6 points. What it represents is the ability for you to 'dodge out of the way just enough' to avoid taking full damage. It is just a special effect of the Talent, and it only works if you are mobile enough to try and maneuver a bit. If you are tied up or otherwise restrained, it wont work. You can purchase multiple levels of Combat Luck, and in my opinion, that would be a perfect fit for your character.

As far as Mental attacks go, you have two different types of damage that is being done to you: Straight Mental Blast, and the other ones like Mind Control, Telepathy, Mind Scan, and Mental Illusions. Mind Blast is not affected by your Ego stat. You can have an Ego of 50 and still get zotzed hard by a Mind Blast because you lack any Mental Defense. Since Mental Defense is so rare, Mind Blast is a more expensive attack power than the regular Blast that effects the physical body.

Lets look at Dreamy for a moment. She has a 6d6 Mind Blast, and lets say for this example she rolls a total of 20 damage before defenses. If you have no Mental Defense, all that goes straight to Stun and your Ego has no bearing on it at all. Even a little bit of Mental Defense of 10 or 15 points can make a real difference here.

Now we look at the other mental attacks. Lets say that Dreamy has a Mental Illusion (she doesn't, but for this example we'll fudge that a bit) of 15d6, the maximum allowed at this point. Lets also say she rolls a total of 50 on her 'damage' roll. This is where your high Ego comes into play. For the powers of Mind Control, Telepathy and such, they have to do sufficient 'damage' above your Ego to do what the mentalist wants. This damage is broken down into levels of: Over Ego, Ego +10, Ego +20, Ego +30 and beyond. Compared to an average Joe with a 10 Ego, Dreamy's roll of 50 is devastating. That hits at the Ego +30 range, and with a Mind Control of that level, she could make the Pope whip out his wanker and jerk off in front of the world on Easter Sunday and have it seem to him like it was his own idea.

This is a bit different for people of higher Ego. If you have a 20 Ego and 15 points of Mental Defense, that chops off 35 points from Dreamy's effect level and makes it much harder to make a person do what you want with a Mind Control.

Numbers like this are why mentalists are so scary. Everyone seems to forgo buying up their Ego, DMCV and Mental Defense, leaving them open for a mind attack. But consider this: Mentalists are very scarce. The odds of having to have a potent Mental Defense is low (but not zero), so on the average, if you were to put just a few points into some Mental Defense, say, 10 or 15 points, that will go a long ways to keep you from getting mind-screwed big time. At this stage of the game, I would leave the Mental Damage Reduction off, saving you some needed points to be able to afford some other powers.

Power Defense is another rare power, since Drains are also rather rare. Same goes for it as Mental Def; a little bit of even 5-10 points goes a long ways to keep you from getting nailed hard.

To break it down a bit, Dreamy's telekinetic shield has the limitation "requires a skill roll". It's a resistant protection power, but I was thinking of modifying the idea and give Miles a damage reduction power with the same limitation. In lore, it would take the form of a partial dodge or a block or something.
It could also be bought with a Breakfall Skill roll required, saying if you make the roll, you successfully roll with the punch enough to be able to take the reduced damage. Just a thought. That would be a -1/2 Limitation, and save you some points.

Last edited:
Just realized that I forgot to add TARU's pic to the lineup. He's there now.

What is TARU? Some sort of Tron wanabe?
It is a self aware computer program that exited the FoJ's mainframe computer one day, saying it was after the viral program calling itself Petabyte. It has the ability to enter the digital realm with ease, and can apparently take others with it if it wants to.

D. Rex D. Rex D., that last post of yours with Colt is outstanding! Sometimes we learn the wrong lessons. Man, how that hits home with me (I've seen it too). It's also an excellent message toward people like Ultraweapon who might need help with their own inner demons, and while it is clear that this is not a game for the "dark heroes" out there, I think you provided a point of view that reminds us that sometimes, that darkness and those demons are only one bad step away.

Alignment (if you don't mind the D&D term) is a path of decisions. The decisions we make when times get tough, hurtful, or so traumatic as to shake your very soul, matter and form us whether we are aware of them or not. Walking with those choices makes our Characters (and us) what they are. =)

Bringing that argument into the game, even if only for a moment, helps to humanize it (at least for this Player). Good stuff, man! =)

To go over a few things, there is a Talent called Combat Luck. Each level you purchase gives you 3 PD 3 ED Resistant damage resistance at the cost of 6 points. What it represents is the ability for you to 'dodge out of the way just enough' to avoid taking full damage. It is just a special effect of the Talent, and it only works if you are mobile enough to try and maneuver a bit. If you are tied up or otherwise restrained, it wont work. You can purchase multiple levels of Combat Luck, and in my opinion, that would be a perfect fit for your character.
Ah, so are the regular Physical Defense and Energy Defense characteristics non-resistant then? Either way I think you're right, 30 CP of that should be a fitting and useful addition.

Everyone seems to forgo buying up their Ego, DMCV and Mental Defense, leaving them open for a mind attack.
Meanwhile, I bought a ton of Ego just to represent a character's unyielding narcissistic tendencies. I'll look at snagging a little bit of Mental Defense and Power Defense but keep my reductions to physical and energy.

It could also be bought with a Breakfall Skill roll required, saying if you make the roll, you successfully roll with the punch enough to be able to take the reduced damage. Just a thought. That would be a -1/2 Limitation, and save you some points.
For a character with 30 dexterity, I think that would be a brilliant strategy, thank you.

Combat luck and damage reduction have been added.

What's the power I would use to move my teammates out of the way of enemy attacks? Would that be Aid or Deflection or something?

Can you verify the correctly-done-ness of this multipower?
Multipower: "Flight"
  • Reserve: 75
    • Disadvantages:
      • Only in Contact with a Surface, -0.25
      • Cannot Hover, -0.5
    • Cost: 75 / 1.75 = 42
  • Power 1: Flight
    • Base: 60
    • Advantages:
      • Reduced Endurance (Half END), +0.25
    • Cost: 60 * (1.25/1.75) / 10 = 4f
  • Power 2: Flight
    • Base: 50
    • Advantages:
      • Megascale (1 m -> 100 km), +1.5
    • Cost: 50 * (1.5 / 1.75) / 10 = 4f
  • Total Cost: 50
I may cut the megascale movement down to 30, both to save a couple of points but also because I think the idea of a close race between someone who flies really fast and someone who runs a little faster would be interesting.

Last edited:
Without pulling out the calculator, that MP looks set.

I think Dreamy has a lot of questions and this seems like a good time to get into them (especially given her background and the FoJs are very different). Time to discuss some of those! =) (writing post now) =)

Sherwood Sherwood
Did Colt get an answer on if they would be considered subordinates or equals?
Sorry that I missed that one.

Starting out, you will be provisional members of the team. That is one reason that Blue Bolt will be assigned to the West Coast team. Once you have proven yourselves, you'll be moved up to full on members of the FoJ.

Well, after a decent deal of deliberation, I think I've put something together which is relatively complete and coherent. I'll try and find an image later, but as far as mechanics are concerned, this is alright.

Well, after a decent deal of deliberation, I think I've put something together which is relatively complete and coherent. I'll try and find an image later, but as far as mechanics are concerned, this is alright.
Looking good. A few quick questions.

Do you maintain a Secret Id at all? I noted that there is no Complication regarding Secret Id/Public Id on your sheet, and I don't want to step on toes.

What is your profession? Are you a full time hero? Do you want to be a new member to the FoJ, or a old hand that is transferring to the West Coast team?

Also, I would suggest getting Deduction, Tactics, and Teamwork when you can afford them. Those skills are always a good thing to have.

Do you maintain a Secret Id at all? I noted that there is no Complication regarding Secret Id/Public Id on your sheet, and I don't want to step on toes.

What is your profession? Are you a full time hero? Do you want to be a new member to the FoJ, or a old hand that is transferring to the West Coast team?
Not in the slightest- Miles very much uses his abilities for publicity. The "Chaser" persona is almost wholly subsumed by his on-camera persona.

He is a full time superheroic "social media influencer," which isn't a real job but he manages to make money from it anyway. I think it makes much more sense for his character to be a new member.

Also, I would suggest getting Deduction, Tactics, and Teamwork when you can afford them. Those skills are always a good thing to have.
I'll consider those, but they seem somewhat at odds with Miles as he currently stands so I may prioritize some other things.

It'll probably happen quickly! I mean... with a quickness! Er, I mean.... you know - SOON! 8D

Deborah listens intently to the many details being brought up by the leaders of the team, feeling reassured that her identity will be kept safe. Not even her family knows that she has the Melari symbiote in her, and at least for now, she plans on keeping it that way.

Deborah's mom: "So... honey, when are you going to bring a nice guy home? I mean... have you been meeting anybody?"

Deborah: "Well Mom, I... I know this Dude..."

=)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back