The Force of Justice - OOC Thread

60 meters of flight is still a lot. That will certainly get you around the battlefield with ease.
It's a lot more than thirty or so. Speaking of, how does one convert between combat movement and noncombat movement?

How is your powers derived? I mean, is it a natural mutation, or did you pick up a magic jewel that gave you super speed?
It's a mutation.

Consider the level of damage you guys are able to dish out, and look at what would happen to you if you got zotzed by Terranaut or Luminary using their Blast power on you. Then consider that the enemies you will be facing will either be a team of supers at a similar power level or a smaller number of bad guys that are tougher than you in order to be able to take on a team and not get blasted out of the game in the first round.
15d6 Blast seems pretty common so I'll assume you'll want to be able to take at least one blast of 45 STUN damage, which Miles should be able to do without getting knocked out. Stunned is a different matter. If the bad guy rolls 75-90 it might just be better to take the L.

Damage Reduction is a good damage reducer if you get it at the 50% level or higher, but it gets expensive. If you have some talisman that grants your powers, or a transformation from a 'civilian id' to 'hero id' like Luminary, that also trims points off with a 'Only in Alternate Identity' Limitation.
50% Physical Damage Resistance, Energy Damage Resistance, and Mental Damage Resistance would be 30 CP a pop, correct? That is a decent bit but I suppose I could make it work. I'm not sure how well an alternate identity limitation would work with this particular character but I'll see if I can figure something out. Are defenses applied after or before damage reduction?

You may also want to look at getting a few Damage Classes for your martial arts. While the Passing Strike with your velocity is going to hurt, you only have a base 15 Strength, and that is only 3d6 damage before any bonuses you will get from the martial maneuver. Also, you may not have the opportunity to be able to run at your target to get the velocity bonus every time.
That sounds like a good idea- it would reflect the ability to accelerate a punch without necessarily having greater lifting capacity. I'll try and figure out an appropriate number of damage classes to add, and maybe see if I can't take the flavor of his desolidification ability and turn that into some sort of armor-piercing attack.

The Passing Throw maneuver is a good one to look at. It gives you a +2d6 +v/10 in extra damage, and it can be used with a full move. As an added bonus, your target falls, making them vulnerable to others while they are down.
I'm afraid I don't see Passing Throw in my version of the book. Could you give me its cost and full effects?

Last edited:
It's a lot more than thirty or so. Speaking of, how does one convert between combat movement and noncombat movement?
Not a hundred percent sure what you mean. Are you talking about changing from combat to non combat flight?
50% Physical Damage Resistance, Energy Damage Resistance, and Mental Damage Resistance would be 30 CP a pop, correct? That is a decent bit but I suppose I could make it work. I'm not sure how well an alternate identity limitation would work with this particular character but I'll see if I can figure something out. Are defenses applied after or before damage reduction?
Defenses are applied first, then the Damage Reduction is applied after.
I'm afraid I don't see Passing Throw in my version of the book. Could you give me its cost and full effects?
The Passing Strike has the following stats:
1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +2d6 +v/10 FMove, Target Falls and it costs 5 points

Sherwood Sherwood I've got a mechanics question. HERO is probably like White Wolf in that if you gain a Flaw/Limitation after Character creation, it's just yours and you don't get any points for it, right?

Case in point - some of the hopefully-soon-to-be-Force-of-Californian-West-Coasters here have this "15 - Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Strong)." Now, if they spread their way of thinking to the others that don't, it's there for good RP while those that do have it are clearly playing out their Limitations accurately.

Is that the way of things?

Sherwood Sherwood I've got a mechanics question. HERO is probably like White Wolf in that if you gain a Flaw/Limitation after Character creation, it's just yours and you don't get any points for it, right?

Case in point - some of the hopefully-soon-to-be-Force-of-Californian-West-Coasters here have this "15 - Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Strong)." Now, if they spread their way of thinking to the others that don't, it's there for good RP while those that do have it are clearly playing out their Limitations accurately.

Is that the way of things?
That is a good summary of it. There is the option to use xp to buy off Complications, and if it is appropriate, you can switch Complications around and change them in game, subject to Storyteller approval.

Oh, really? How cool! So perhaps for example, Dreamy takes on the above Limitation while learning more and more about human culture, she might eventually switch the two (instead of buying them off with xp/cp)?

Sherwood Sherwood Okies! Moar questions, moar!

Concerning TK, in our Conversation, you and I discussed two different versions of TK - one with Reduced END cost and lower TK Strength, the other with normal cost with higher TK Strength. I was expecting Dreamy to wind up with the former. So... I am curious - if the former is chosen, one can build up the TK Strength somehow? But if the latter is chosen, you're stuck with it and if it becomes too END-expensive to use, well, you can't really reduce its END cost because that's changing the core of the Power or something?

What's it all about, Alfie?

Not a hundred percent sure what you mean. Are you talking about changing from combat to non combat flight?
I was asking about whatever it was you did to get 82 meters from the Megascale movement power I originally had. I'm trying to see what my "megascale" movement would be based just on my 60m combat movement.

Defenses are applied first, then the Damage Reduction is applied after.
Lame.
What's the practicality of having multiple types of damage reduction in a power framework? I assume it would be frowned upon and disallowed to have them in a Variable Power Pool with "Character Has No Choice Regarding How Or When Powers Change" and "VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance" (when about to be hit by an attack), but a Multipower might still work depending on how often attacks of different kinds will be flying at the same target in the same phase.

1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +2d6 +v/10 FMove, Target Falls and it costs 5 points
I see. That looks kind of like a cross between Leg Sweep and Passing Strike, but either way it seems pretty good. I'll add it to the next revision.

Sherwood Sherwood Hey, Bud! Ever have that nagging feeling when a post isn't quite right? Well, probably as a result of too much serious Real Life being on my mind, and after rereading it, I think I wrote Dreamy's last scene with a little too much seriousness and not enough of the comical activity I wanted in it.

So, I've rewritten it again and hopefully it makes for some smiles. =) There's enough seriousness for me out-of-game; I don't want it following me in here! That's what fantasy and RPing is for! Heh! =)

Sherwood Sherwood Okies! Moar questions, moar!

Concerning TK, in our Conversation, you and I discussed two different versions of TK - one with Reduced END cost and lower TK Strength, the other with normal cost with higher TK Strength. I was expecting Dreamy to wind up with the former. So... I am curious - if the former is chosen, one can build up the TK Strength somehow? But if the latter is chosen, you're stuck with it and if it becomes too END-expensive to use, well, you can't really reduce its END cost because that's changing the core of the Power or something?

What's it all about, Alfie?
The big limiting factor in increasing your TK strength is the Active Point limit I have set right now. In time, I will raise it up from 75, but that will be a little bit from now. TK costs 3 Active Points per 2 Strength, then when you add the Reduced End to it, that caps you out at a 40 Str instead of the 50 Str you have now.

As far as End cost goes, your Mind Blast is already at 1/2 End that only uses 3 End per action, and that, for most opponents, should be your primary go to for an attack power. Combine that with the End Reserve of 100 points you currently have and you can really go the distance, even if you occasionally spice things up with a TK attack at the higher strength with the standard 7 End per action. If you find that even with your End Reserve and its Recovery being what they are is not enough, the point return for that power is I believe 10 End per 1 Character Point, so it is fairly cheap to get more bang for your buck.

But once the decision is made (and the only reasons I'm even considering letting you make changes are the fact that you are new to the Hero System and we have not started any combat yet) you are locked into it and cannot change the slot from a 50 Str TK at normal End cost to a 40 Str TK at 1/2 End. The only other option then would be to buy another slot of your Multipower.

Lets just say that you have a different focus on what your power set is, instead of trying to say who's armor is 'better'.

Thats what the loser says to make themselves feel better.

So, I'm just going to say that I have a different focus on what my power set is, rather than either of our armor is "better".

I was asking about whatever it was you did to get 82 meters from the Megascale movement power I originally had. I'm trying to see what my "megascale" movement would be based just on my 60m combat movement.
The original write up had you with 30 meters with the MegaScale Advantage tacked onto it, putting its Active Cost at 82 points. So if you were to stick with that in a Multpower, you could have a second slot for your combat flight with the full 82 meters, since Flight is a 1 meter-for-1 point power.

Ramping it up to MegaScale puts you way out of the combat range, even with the base level of 1m = 1km. If you are looking at 60m of movement, that is 60 kilometers in one phase. Quite a lot, and that puts you across the city in mere seconds. Each level up adds another '0' to your movement non combat. The way that Luminary and Terranaut have their own movement powers bought is, in my opinion, the best way for you to go if you are wanting a MegaScale movement and a high level of combat movement to represent your speedy nature.
What's the practicality of having multiple types of damage reduction in a power framework? I assume it would be frowned upon and disallowed to have them in a Variable Power Pool with "Character Has No Choice Regarding How Or When Powers Change" and "VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance" (when about to be hit by an attack), but a Multipower might still work depending on how often attacks of different kinds will be flying at the same target in the same phase.
Having a Damage Reduction in a Multipower would be ok under some very strict conditions. Since the power must be the active slot for it to work, if you shift it to a different power, you no longer have the Damage Reduction active and running. That means if you have one slot with say, 50% Physical, and another with 50% Energy, and still one more slot for 50% Mental, you can do that. But you will have to declare which slot is active at any one time, unless you have a large enough Multipower to have more than one slot running at once.

There is an alternative that I came up with. If you buy the Damage Reductions with the Charges Limitation and make them Continuing Charges for at least one Turn, if you then switch slots, the Charge is still running for that length of time. In the past, I have purchased Damage Reduction and defined it as a painkiller shot that lasts 5 minutes each Charge, with a total of 4 charges on my character. Depending on how much normal Defense you have, you could go as high as 50% on a setup like that and I would allow it.

Thats what the loser says to make themselves feel better.

Maybe, good D., but always consider the source. If any other Game Master were to say this, I think I would reflect as you do, however, I think Sherwood genuinely means it the way he has said it.

And, if the other Power Armor hero is stronger than yours, well we are just starting out, aren't we? If a starting character has a total of 500 character points, and this person has 700, there was probably a day when they were at 500 and looked up to somebody else. That's how heroes and role models are made after all, right?

Maybe, good D., but always consider the source. If any other Game Master were to say this, I think I would reflect as you do, however, I think Sherwood genuinely means it the way he has said it.

And, if the other Power Armor hero is stronger than yours, well we are just starting out, aren't we? If a starting character has a total of 500 character points, and this person has 700, there was probably a day when they were at 500 and looked up to somebody else. That's how heroes and role models are made after all, right?

Lol was making joke at my expense. I'm quite interested in seeing how the power armors compare and seeing how Colt will look at things.

Unlike people with superpowers, Colt isn't locked into a framework of powers or theme. With tech, if he can think it and build it, then he can incorporate it into his suit.

While he suit centers around Ice, it doesn't have too. It was the suit he used underground, which he had used to fight in Lava zones and against Inferno.

At this point, his suit is already heavily upgraded from where it the standard ones of the Terranauts. (I don't think Sherwood would like a team of 500cp power suits running around unchecked). So upgrading it is definitely in line for him. Always trying to push the suits abilities one step further.

In that way it will be fun to see how Colt and Ultraweapons design philosophies differ, as well as how those differences manifest narritively.

For example, Ultraweapon could have top of the line modern future tech. The best the surface has to offer!

On the other hand. The deep earth project started in the 30s, being almost cut off from the surface they essentially went down a separate path. Taking a "retro art deco" futuristic sort of design. With this being what Colt knows, it is what Colt makes.

Essentially, Ultraweapon's GTX-5000 Particle Beam Rifle and Terranaut's Destructinator Ray Gun may look and feel different, they are both equally advanced and do the same thing.

But once the decision is made (and the only reasons I'm even considering letting you make changes are the fact that you are new to the Hero System and we have not started any combat yet) you are locked into it and cannot change the slot from a 50 Str TK at normal End cost to a 40 Str TK at 1/2 End. The only other option then would be to buy another slot of your Multipower.

Your descriptions of recovery help put things into perspective! If my character doesn't have the "physical punch" that she might need on her own against zombies and robots, well that's why she has teammates!

Unless for some reason you need Dreamy to have the normal TK, I would like to go with the reduced cost TK.

I've been reading about how open a Hero is when they decide to take a Phase to rest. Yow! I also like the idea of having a low-END TK because it implies a sense of naturalness and effortlessness toward mental powers that I think I would like her race to possess, even at the cost of strength. I also don't mind Dreamy working her way up to greater strength in the far future, especially given that we have strong Characters in the party already.

I was hoping to unlock a slot for Mind Link so that we could all seamlessly communicate together in the future. How many XP would that cost?

Lol was making joke at my expense. I'm quite interested in seeing how the power armors compare and seeing how Colt will look at things.

Oh! Sorry, man! I am so clueless sometimes. Maybe that's why I can play a character like Dreamy! Ha ha ha!

I have been mean to mention that I really like your Character concept! It brings up memories of the comic books of old where humanity explored the universe with techno-goodies like Colt's suit. Plus, I can't help but like the name Colt. It's wild like the horse!

Oh! Sorry, man! I am so clueless sometimes. Maybe that's why I can play a character like Dreamy! Ha ha ha!

I have been mean to mention that I really like your Character concept! It brings up memories of the comic books of old where humanity explored the universe with techno-goodies like Colt's suit. Plus, I can't help but like the name Colt. It's wild like the horse!

And thats sort of what I was going for! Almost exactly. The sort of retro exploration adventure vibe going. And was what the Terranauts are. Going to the earth and exploring the sort of things you would see in comics. Underground lands of dinosaurs. Crystal caves. Lava oceans. With every new cavern being like a different planet.

And I tried to play on those sort of naming conventions too. Colt Campbell seemed like the sort of campy style name i could pull from a early comic book adventure hero, and thinking of a hero name I couldn't help but think of The Rocketeer.

Yeah! Everything you mentioned is right up there with the Character you've created! That's exactly it! It's all right there in your Character sheet. Even the picture of the armor compliments it. I am reminded of like an underground version of the BioShock video game. =)

To that end. Now that you mention it,

Sherwood Sherwood
Given that Ultraweapon is also a techie, would it be reasonable for Colt to no more about him?
Go ahead and give me a Weaponsmith or Mechanics roll, depending on what focus you want to have on Ultraweapon's armor; either general systems or his firepower.

Go ahead and give me a Weaponsmith or Mechanics roll, depending on what focus you want to have on Ultraweapon's armor; either general systems or his firepower.

Can I do both? Or do I need to choose?

And, to do a roll.

I make a 3d6 roll and need to get lower than my number in that skill?

Unless for some reason you need Dreamy to have the normal TK, I would like to go with the reduced cost TK.
I will make the adjustment ASAP. That will give you the 40 Str TK at 1/2 End.
I was hoping to unlock a slot for Mind Link so that we could all seamlessly communicate together in the future. How many XP would that cost?
Mind Link in a slot has the same issues as having Damage Reduction in a Multipower. Once you switch slots to a different one, the Mind Link will be cut.
Mind Link costs 5 points for one person, and every x2 number of minds is 5 points. It goes 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. In order to be able to link up the team, you'll need the 5-8 level. Then there is a modifier of either a group of related minds for 5 points, or any willing mind for 10. If you go with the Any Willing Mind will cost you 30 points before any Limitations. Ones that you can add on without any issues are: Concentration to Activate for a -1/4, Normal Range (which will give it an effective range of Active Points x10 meters) for another -1/4, Requires a Skill Roll for a -1/2, Skin Contact Required to Establish Link is also feasible for a -1 (once the Link is established, you can then move away from the person). Stops Working if the Mentalist is Stunned is a -1/2, and Stops Working if Mentalist is Knocked out is a -1/4. Finally, there is Costs End to Activate for a -1/4.

This is by no means a required set of Limitations, and as you get points, you can buy off any of the ones you do get on it. So, if you get the Link with that whole set of Limitations, your 30 point Mind Link with any 8 minds at once would cost you only 7 points.

Some things to keep in mind with Mind Link. It is not 'always on', so if there are thoughts that one person doesn't want to share with the others, it is easy to pick and choose which ones get 'broadcast' to the rest of the people in the Link. Also, Mind Link is only with a willing target, so you cannot force a person to join in, and exiting the group mind of the Link is totally voluntary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back