• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Roaring_Dragon

A vagabond of the lavish jungles of my mind

The Derangement: Order Breeds Chaos

Welcome to the world of Val'ashak, a world filled with elves, humans, dwarves and orcs.

Last edited:
"A dragon sire?.... Are you certain you can handle a dragon?... I mean no one has even seen one since-"

" -Since my great great great grandfather shoved his sword into the throat of one. Everyone knows the story Niles. Now hand me my eyeglass"

" I know my lord... I- I- I worry about you, and how lady Alea would fair if you... You know?"

"Ha ha ha. Niles, you jester! I fear no beast, no dragon can kill me!...... My worry is far worse than any dragon"

Darrow peers through the looking glass, his large hands over lapping around it. He squints his left green eye into it, grazing the tree line, moving back and forth along its wide span of trees. This was dangerous territory for a half-breed and Darrow knew he was marked for death and he made sure his journey was made quiet and scouts were sent to snuff out any attacks or be able to spot any purist patrols down the path. Darrow decided traveling by land would be the safer bet, knowing if they were caught by the dragon on a ship they would be hard pressed for escape.

Darrow master of strategy and hunter of beasts waves his armored hand, signaling his coterie of hunters and guides to follow. He begin to trot his horse, A large white stallion covered in thick golden studded armor, and a long cloth barding decorated with the Atheshire crest, a king and queen holding hands anterior a castle and colored black, representing the start of Atheshire and the first union of Elf and Human royalty.

Darrow now a mere days journey from the edge of the forest and his band of non-Calvary men looked exhausted as the sun began to sink behind the edge of the world. He dismounts and orders his men to set up camp. Among them he had Niles, a lanky, older, and visually nervous servant to the royal family. Where Darrow went he followed. He wore clothing a bit more regal than a regular servant, a tight greenish robe, with a darker green tunic and many religious charms and royal jewels rounded his neck. A great knowledge of most religions across the land and a master of linguistics. And then there is Grimace a vetrened and tired old human hunter, who was raised and survived the trials of the Elven Vale and always knew a good story to tell his men. The rest were hunters and guides trained under Grimace numbering 11 strong. While Darrow tried to remember their names he fell short and thought them more as bait for beasts and dragons.

Darrow removes his saddlebag from Chimera, his horse, and throws out his bed roll close to the fire that was being prepared. Darrow begins to remove his armor, which was gold plated and embroidered with bright, shiny blue jewels said only to be found in the dwarven mines of Hern Thorum. The armor was rewarded to him by the high dwarven king Norkon Thorum for slaying the Queen Aracna which almost cost Darrow his life. He removes all his armor except for the thick chain mail that he felt security in. He yawns, stretching his broad shoulders and using the sweat from his forehead to slick back his long brown hair behind his slightly pointed ears. Darrow's body tall in stature with toned muscles made most men envious never minding his wealth and power and engagement to the finest of all elf princesses, Alea Nightmere. Darrow scratched at the hair on his face and laid down spanning across and past his bed roll next to the now prepared fire. He listened to his surroundings, knowing very well that the light and smoke would attract some maybe unwanted or draconic attention. He continued to listen, but the sounds of the fields and plains were few and quite except for the slight breeze that rustled the tall grass. It was then drowned out by the thick, deep, melodic voice of Grimace telling one of his favorite stories of how he bare handlely had fought off the God bear. Most would find it fiction but the amount of detail and emotion put into it made anyone think twice. Grimace's voice reminded Darrow of his father's, the Great king Percyvallus who would tell child Darrow stories before his death, so Darrow could fall asleep. Darrow shuts his one blue eye and then his green one drifting into the dreamworld.

The vast expanse of the temperate forest stretched endlessly under the afternoon sun. Mighty trees, ancient in years, reached towards the sky, uppermost branches as if trying to grasp the heavens. So thick was their canopy that it shrouded the world below in a perpetual dusk. The Elven Vale had stood strong for millennia, precious to it's main sentient residents; the elves. The elves had cultivated it, nurtured it and maintained it with their magic so that it surpassed any other known forest on the land of Val'ashak. And so their magic had seeped into the ground, so much that it had affected even the fauna that lived in it's shadow. Great elk with majestic horns size previously unseen. Birds with iridescent feathers as if pulsing with magic. Foxes with one too many tails. Insects that seemed to swarm and coalesce as if one entity. All manner of creature found harbor in it's depths.

Far above the canopy, a lone red-tailed hawk flew, wings extended as it hovered on the thermals. Its gaze was intent on the emerald expanse below, scrutinizing every gap between branches it could find. A pair of sparrows flew below him; potential prey, yet the bird soared on, ever searching. Unsatisfied, it picked up it's speed, until the Elven Vale became all but a blur beneath him. The afternoon stretched into evening as the hawk broke past the bank of the forest and into lush fields below. As he flew over meadows and rolling hills, the hawk's attention was drawn to a group of travelers, spurring weary horses across the monotonous landscape. The bird pulled up its wings and swooped out of the cloud bank and closer to the land, circling high above. It's head twitched from side to side, it's quick gaze and superior eyesight taking into account of each of the members of the group, not unlike what a more sentient creature would do. Satisfied with his endeavor, the bird of pray circled over the group one more time before soaring back towards the darkening forest in the horizon.

Alaesa opened her eyes, her vision fazing from the sharpened gaze of the hawk to that of an elf. The perpetual forest dusk greeted her, the coolness of her surroundings stirring her back into her own senses and body. Smoothly, she stood and let out an involuntary groan of stiffness as her unused muscles protested to the movement. A head snapped up at the sound, cold gray gaze intent on her. Erolith face was an emotionless mask as he spoke.

"Tell me". A man of few words. It didn't matter that she had been unresponsive for hours, viewing the world though her companion's eyes; there was no need for courtesy. He got straight down to business.
"Eleven of them on horseback. Most seem trained hunters. A few seem unused to battle, but mostly they are outfitted for a fight. It's as the report said; they are hunting something in the Elven Vale." Alaesa said, trying to recall every detail she could through Storm's eyes.
"How far?", replied Erolith. Alaesa closed her eyes, trying to envision the distance she had crossed on swift wings.
"About a day and a half from our current location as the crow flies."

The male elf nodded and picked up his weapon from where he had been sitting, placing the bow on his back. Alaesa did the same, making sure that they left as little trace of their temporary campsite as possible. Without a word, they both turned northward towards the direction of the tree bank. They trekked though the evening and well into the night, their keen elven senses unhindered by the looming dark. The forest came alive around them as they walked, sounds of every creature imaginable in the distant shadows. To a lesser being, the forest would seem eerie and terrifying as unknown eyes glowed at any passing wayfarers. Yet to the elves, this mystical forest was filled with wonders and it was very much their home.

As if by an unspoken agreement, the two elves paused a few miles from the edge of the forest. Dawn was still far away as they both found a perch on one of the forest giants and settled in for the night. They would sleep... and tomorrow, they would kill their prey.

The chill of morning brushes Darrow's face. He twitches awake and is blinded by the rays of golden sun touching his face. The brutish man lifts his body, arms stretching, letting out a boyish yawn. He gazes across his men while twisting and cracking a few vertebrae. The first awake as always. The men always seem to have a fascination with drinking till black out drunk. The fire is but smoke now as Darrow outfits himself with his armor again, it smelling vividly like wood smoke now. The fire didn't attract anything like he had hoped. This worried Darrow for many reasons as he stationed his sword more prominently on his waist, A relic of sorts past down from generations of Atheshireian royalty. It's hilt and pommel made of sanded and polished dragon bone and the blade of refined dwarvish Uclauntine, a extremely rare metal said to dispel or harness the winds of magic. So rare in fact there was only two swords forged from it. Gladius wielded by Darrow and Darkheart, which has been lost or some believe wielded by the Orc tyrant Grukag.

Darrow positions his fingers in his mouth just right enough to make an ear ringing whistle.

"Load it up men! I wan't to make it to the forest's edge by sun down! No wasting around! There's beasts to hunt!"

Darrow's whistle and rallying words works, like it always dose. The men scurry to their feet and have the camp torn down in a matter of minutes. Niles frail as ever slowly moves to Darrow's side while Grimace yells at his men to hasten their clean up. Darrow signals with his hand again to move out and the heard of hunters move, blazing the trail towards the threshold of the forest. Their speed is slow like a heard of cattle lead to the slaughter.

Hours and hours pass walking and trotting through the high grasses of the plain not a creature in sight except for the occasional Val' ashakinan Sparrow or some sort of flying insect that would pester the party. The sun once again hides it's bright face behind the land's edge as the pack enters the area where the supposed dragon was spotted. Described only as huge, black, and had a purple glow, which made it hard for Darrow to believe in. But every dragon claim has to be taken seriously. The danger they pose and the value of their bodies are unmatched. Darrow dismounts laying his dominate right hand on his sword.

"Alright men. Fan out and look for clues!.... Burn marks, scratches, scales, anything you think might resemble a dragon was here, report it to me or Grimace"

Darrow's crew of 11 hunters fan out leaving no rock or branch upturned, smelling dirt and scanning the tree tops for anything slightly dragon, unfortunately none of them even knew what a dragon looked like or even what to look for. All they knew were old legends of Wicraes Au'Andromudus the slayer of the last dragon, well supposedly last dragon. Grimace sniffs the air and utter fear take a hold of his eyes. He scoots to Darrow who is having a conversation with Niles about Niles's uneasiness around these woods and parroting how the other men felt here.

"Niles I've told you time and time again, if there is ever a point where your life was in danger, just take Chimera gallop as fast as you can and tell my family where I am."

"But my lord that dos-"

Niles is interrupted by a panicked and kneeling Grimace.

"My lord....we are not alone!"

He says urgently but deafens his voice, looking into the trees, but not in any specific location. The sun had gone and torches were lit, but the shade of the trees and the darkness tendrils of the vale seemed to extinguish the torches light. Darrow felt the eyes of the vale watching him. This prompts him to raise a fist in the air. The men stop, becoming completely silent. They listened to only the breeze and the crackling of their torches. Darrow knew someone was after him, but the unknown location and the threat of a dragon put him and his men between a rock and a hard place.

The faint rays of morning light streamed though the coarse canopy as the two elves stirred from their light sleep. As Alaesa opened her emerald green eyes and stretched her lithe body she was greeted by a shrill squawk. Her gaze turned to her left to be met by a disgruntled looking red-tailed hawk perched on the protruding branches above her. His feathers were fluffed out, looking very much like a menacing ball of fluff, as if wanting to make it obvious how annoyed he was at not having been acknowledged yet. A faint smile adorned Alaesa's lips as she offered out her right arm to the hawk as a perch. The hawk unfurled it's speckled wings and with two powerful flaps, closed the distance, sharp claws embedding into the hard leather of her gauntlet. Storm peered at her with one all-seeing eye.
"Good morning boy" Alaesa muttered, reaching out to tickle the feathers under the hawk's beak. Storm's demeanor changed, eyes half closing in pleasure at the gesture and beak clicking lightly. Alaesa's mouth stretched into a smile of amusement at her companion.

Alaesa felt the hot disapproving gaze of Erolith on her back, a boring on her shoulder blades. She dropped the smile immediately, sobering up and allowing her usual emotionless mask fall into place.

"The elders won't like it." He stated, his hands swift on his pack as he reorganized his minimal equipment. His opposition towards the connection with her companion was starkly obvious. Alaesa allowed her eyes to drop in shame at his words.

"There is no harm in it." she said, eyes back on the hawk. The bird's gaze was intent on the male elf, as if he wanted to claw his eyes out. Alaesa shifted her arm, levering Storm back into the air. His great wings stretched as he soared out of the treetop.

"We are tools, Alaesa. Tools don't have feelings and connections to pets." he scoffed.

"I don't have feelings towards it" She replied, but the words sounded empty even to her. She cast her eyes down, anything to avoid the searching gaze of the other elf as she tried to compose herself.

"We are the arrow that strikes from the dark. We are the divine weapon of the pure blood" The familiar words echoed in her head, and she found herself repeating the phrase after him, mechanically. The words of her organisation that she had uttered so many times before. They were nothing but weapons, used at the whim of the Chosen of the Blood. This was their purpose in life and nothing more. The words reminded her of that and she allowed her emotions to drain away, leaving her nothing but the tool she had been forged into. Erolith nodded, satisfied at the change in her demeanor. He shouldered his light pack and adjusted his recurve bow on his back. His slender form jumped off the tall branch as he made his way to the ground.

"Let's scout the area. They should be entering the Vale by sundown." Alaesa nodded as they set off into the ancient forest.

The night loomed eerily as dark fell. The ring of torches elongated the forest shadows, branches appearing to stretch like vicious claws trying to ensnare their unsuspecting prey. The forest had fallen unusually silent as the intruders stomped their way through the clearing.

"They're all idiots" Alaesa concluded "It's like they've never been in the Vale before. Those torches are like a beacon; they will attract any hostile creature within a two mile radius". Erolith nodded
"This might be easier that we thought" Replied Erolith, gaze intent on the consuming darkness. "Lets wait and see. We have all night" The elves took account of the group, mumbling plans of attack to eachother as the night progressed. Their target was the halfbreed Darrow Du' Andromudus, the direct descendant of the first royal elf and human union. The rest were just collateral.

A wave of unease ran through the hunters. Momentary alarm flashed through Alaesa's mind, but the unease wasn't because they had been detected. The elves felt it too, a prickling at the back of their neck as the air pulsed with magic. Dark magic. A shiver ran down Alaesa's back as her gaze turned to the edge of the camp. A deep, guttural growl pulsed though the air, seeming to come from everywhere an nowhere at the same time. The halfbreed's men tensed, unsure of the Vale around them, retreating into a tighter circle.

A man, a hunter probably, was too close to the rim of torches. Before he could retreat, an undistinguished shadowy figure reached out from the dark and yanked him into his depths. A shrill scream sounded, high pitched and terrified as the man was dragged away. The scream ended as abruptly as it began as the man met an unknown end. The shadowy entity growled again, from a different location this time. A pair of eyes materialized in the darkness, purple and emanating a surreal glow. The eyes were filled with menace before they blinked and disappeared back into the night.

Erolith's eyes narrowed as he muttered a curse under his breath. "What in the name of Arun is that?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back