• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Beginning of a New (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
We need a world map so we know where each country is in relation to each other.
If we used a map of the real world, The Empire of the Gierlands would take up almost all of Eurasia.

We need a world map so we know where each country is in relation to each other.
If we used a map of the real world, The Empire of the Gierlands would take up almost all of Eurasia.

You're welcome to make one.

Also, no. You're nation is not as large as Eurasia. Not allowing that for obvious reasons

We can't make a map without knowing where everyone is.
Then how large is it?

Something that is reasonable and not nonsensical? I'm not sure you realize how large Eurasia is.

55 million square kms is Eurasia. The total land area of the earth is 148,940,000. You are not getting a third of a planet.
For reference:
The Roman Empire was 5 million square kilometers.
Even the Mongol and British Empires, at their height, were only around 33 million square kms.
Mainland France is 551,394 square kms.

Most nations who say they are 'bigger' will be France sized. Normal nations will be Germany sized [300,000ish square kms]. Small nations will depend on how small they want to be. The great sized nations will be around 1-3 million square km depending upon terrain and location.

If I trust someone to not power game I would allow them to be Roman Empire/Achaemenid Empire sized.

Considering the history, setup, and who's running it I'd guess that The Empire of the Gierlands would be the largest nation.

Don't know that yet. Pride may be the Largest because they are the Strongest of the Sins and their pride would almost demand they be the best.

Envy could have a massive nation that is nearly, or even bigger, due to their... nature of looking at another nation and wanting what they have.

Gluttony could have a massive nation born from their desire to consume.

Wrath's nation could be massive due to their warlike mentality. [Although I imagine parts of it are currently occupied].

So, until we see all the other nations, we should hold off on what we consider 'largest'.

That would depend on their policies, not their Sins. People shouldn't just be able to claim a massive nation without justifying it in-universe.
The Empire of the Gierlands uses policies proven to work in real life in China, The Soviet Union, and the USA. I came up with enough background and detail to justify how it's gotten and stayed so big.

And...
Pride might spend so much time trying to get their nation perfect it never grows.
Envy might focus on making other lands worse or spend so much time trying to get other lands their own falls to ruin.
Gluttony might strip their lands bare and end up with smaller and smaller territory.
Wrath's...well it's Wrath.

That would depend on their policies, not their Sins. People shouldn't just be able to claim a massive nation without justifying it in-universe.
The Empire of the Gierlands uses policies proven to work in real life in China, The Soviet Union, and the USA. I came up with enough background and detail to justify how it's gotten and stayed so big.

And...
Pride might spend so much time trying to get their nation perfect it never grows.
Envy might focus on making other lands worse or spend so much time trying to get other lands their own falls to ruin.
Gluttony might strip their lands bare and end up with smaller and smaller territory.
Wrath's...well it's Wrath.

No nation is as 'so totalitarian that everyone is always fed and usually happy despite having no real room to move up or down'.

Why? Pride is Pride. The second someone thinks they are big and bad because their land is bigger, it is very likely to ruffle his feathers and make him expand to prove he is the best. Its really that simple.

Which depends on how Envy decides to build their nation.

And Wrath could follow the Mongolian very aggressive, rapid style warfare that let them become one of the largest nations on the earth, while he may lack the strong government foundations and sense of inclusions the Mongolians have, he could instead use a more Alexander the Great force of personality to hold things together, and unlike Alexander, he doesn't have to fear dying young.

Gluttony may strip their lands which requires them to spread further and further out, an aggressive conquest by necessity, or, they may become a nomadic locust kind of nation. They come, they eat, they leave.

So. Wait for the nations to be made. Then, if it becomes relevant, we will discuss it.

No nation is as 'so totalitarian that everyone is always fed and usually happy despite having no real room to move up or down'.
That's where the secret police and reeducation camps come in. Centuries of that, combined with enforced cultural norms, the unending reign of an immortal Emperor, and quite a bit of magic to keep the population down have made it incredibly efficient at being repressive. It's 1984 levels of thought control except without as much deprivation.

So. Wait for the nations to be made. Then, if it becomes relevant, we will discuss it.
I will. I'll just hold you to the part about justification for size being necessary.

That's where the secret police and reeducation camps come in. Centuries of that, combined with enforced cultural norms, the unending reign of an immortal Emperor, and quite a bit of magic to keep the population down have made it incredibly efficient at being repressive. It's 1984 levels of thought control except without as much deprivation.

The reign of an Immortal Emperor is only effective if there is not 13 other Immortals they can turn to if they are tired of a clenched fist.

I will. I'll just hold you to the part about justification for size being necessary.

I judge every nation the same. Just like I didn't let you have both resistance and magic, I will not let someone have a massive nation without cause.

The reign of an Immortal Emperor is only effective if there is not 13 other Immortals they can turn to if they are tired of a clenched fist.
That's like saying North Koreans have plenty of countries to turn to if they are tired of living there. It's not the "tired of living there" part that's important, it's the "trying to escape is a crime and you'll be sent to a reeducation camp or executed" part.
Judging by how bad it got in North Korea, the Soviet Union, China, etc. after just a few decades, life in the Empire of the Gierlands is going to be like a version of 1984 without the forced inefficiency after over a thousand years.
Not that there won't be dissent, rebels, etc., just that they'll be less than effective without a lot of outside help.

I've done my research.

That's like saying North Koreans have plenty of countries to turn to if they are tired of living there. It's not the "tired of living there" part that's important, it's the "trying to escape is a crime and you'll be sent to a reeducation camp or executed" part.
Judging by how bad it got in North Korea, the Soviet Union, China, etc. after just a few decades, life in the Empire of the Gierlands is going to be like a version of 1984 without the forced inefficiency after over a thousand years.
Not that there won't be dissent, rebels, etc., just that they'll be less than effective without a lot of outside help.

I've done my research.

North Korea is a small country with a small border with South Korea and strong [or, well, used to be strong] diplomatic ties to its other neighbor. Keeping your people in the South/North Korean borders =/= keeping people from the USA/Mexico [or US/Canada] border. The larger the nation, the harder it becomes to police it if the population is dispersed and the more impossible it becomes to control the border.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back