• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Team Miho
"Hohhh, I didn't know there was an exit here," said Miho suddenly as she appeared directly behind Shioreta and Wakanaka. Her usual blue sweater was splattered with flecks of blood but her tone was normal, almost bored. "I blocked the door behind us but it wont hold some of the nutters back there for very long so let's get a move on. From the sounds of it Sachiko has their attention so we'll move through and then circle back to grab her, keep clearing the way, you're making good progress. Don't forget to check the walls and roof too though: these traps are designed for shinobi after all."

Silence reigned over the crowd of hardened convicts as they contemplated Sachiko's Nobuyuki disguise and "his" offer.

"Alright I'll go with you," said a lanky man with long, blue hair. While free he had been something of a swordsman himself though a mere shadow compared to the man who would cut the world. But if they travelled together surely something of the famed man's greatness would rub off on him! Maybe Hanamoto would even take him on as disciple, that would be~

"Nah fuck that take me," said a deep voice, it was Marubishi the strangler again, the huge man seeming to flex slightly as he spoke as if showing off his strength.

"Forgot those losers I'm who you should take!" Piped up Konno the shadow scribe.

"You wanna know who I think you should take?"

"Nobody cares what you think Shuko!"

It was hard to tell who struck first after that. Had Marubishi cocked one of his massive hands back to launch a wild haymaker? Perhaps Konno had unsheathed the wickedly pointed shiv he was known to keep on his person at all times? Maybe the swordsman had drawn his pilfered guard's katana or possibly poor Shuko had finally decided he had enough of everyone's shit and lashed out. Whoever was responsible the end result was immediate and bloody anarchy, leaving "Nobuyuki" standing almost forgotten on the sidelines as tempers flared and old grudges where reignited.

Then a flash of light passed over Sachiko's face, attracting her attention to the side of the clearing the escapees occupied. Miho was just barely visible between the brushes, using her glasses to reflect light towards Sachiko to signal to her. When Miho saw she had her students attention she gestured for Sachiko to join them with a curt nod, holding up a kunai to cover her student's retreat in case any of the convicts noticed. That would prove unnecessary however as the convicts remained absorbed in their bloody civil war, allowing Sachiko to safely rejoin the team.

Once all four of them were a safe distance away from the convicts and she judged there weren't any other Miho sighed and her posture slumped as the tension drained out of her. "Gods what a fucking mess," Miho muttered tiredly, rubbing her head. "Think I pulled something in my rotator cuff mercing that last asshole and this report is gonna be a fuckin ordeal in and of itself." Miho turned to regard the genin with a calculating expression for a moment. "At least you three idiots didn't cause it this time. Well, most of it, I haven't forgotten about that bullshit with the signs but I guess since we're all still alive we can say you all did well enough I suppose. Now don't do anything to make me change my mind before I can get back to the village and get properly wasted,"

Ganryu Ganryu
Hanarei Hanarei
Orikanyo Orikanyo

Sachiko-Nobuyuki watched as the prisoners turned on eachother like wolves. The hoped for scenerio, but still brutal to watch. These were ninjas, not just thugs. If any one of them attacked her... However, a shine caught her attention, and Sachiko-Nobuyuki calmly walked off, leaving the carnage behind her as she passed Miho sensei, a poof of smoke instantly disappearing with the girl collapsing to her hands panting. The instant she saw Shio and Waka, she was back on her feet with a smile.

"Soooo.... does this mean the mission's over? FIIIINALLY. Well, Sensei, consider my oath fulfilled! Now...

Waka, what a way to put that cannibal behind 'bars'!

Miho-sensei, I think you need more iron in your diet, cause otherwise I kunai't explain where you got those weapons from unless you swallowed them.

Sure, I picked up a few... disarmed ones, but you snuck one past! What'd it taste like? Did it have a sharp taste? Did you have to steel yourself for it?"

Sachiko seemed to bounce back up and down. "Speaking of those disarmed kunai... give me a sec." Sachiko bodily flickered aware.

The sounds of a unicorn wretching echoed.

Sachiko was back in a pink flash. "Shio! Wha'ts being a prison dog like?" Sachiko poked her puppet, and gave an obviously fake laugh. "Also, we gotta do a girl's night out. I'd invite Waka, but he thinks I'm the devil, so I'm not sure he wants to associate with me being the good little Shinto Priest he is. Wait... that's a lie, he's a terrible Shinto Priest. Waka, you're invited too on account of you fitting in with the devil. We're hitting up an arcade this weekend!"

"Well, I got that out my system. I'm good to go. Oh, and Sensei, totes taking tomorrow off like I said I was. Mental wellness is important afterall. Maybe I can meet a celebrity to make myself feel super awesome. Sensei, think I can meet a kage? That'd be awesome! The fact her office is radioactive is slightly less awesome though. Think I'd get superpowers if I tried?"

Sachiko would quietly hum to herself the rest of the way back, but didn't scout, open her eyes, or really interact with anyone on the way back as she cheerily fell into her own world.

xwVPfG9.png
Shioreta Koino

Shio was caught a bit off guard by Miho. It wasn't really that unexpected all things considered that she would show up, but given the dangerous situation they were in it did mean it could of just as easily of been an escaped shinobi who would of had more nefarious plans for the two of them. She smiled brightly nodding a bit lifting her one hand up to wave lightly as the other continued to control the puppet. She didn't really need her second hand so much when it came to controlling her dog puppet anymore despite playing it off as if she was still controlling it using both her hands. She seemed to be in a... good mood? Was that the right term for it? Perhaps it was better to look at in a 'not wanting to murder them' mood which was a big plus!

Shioreta followed along now in a much safer place... granted it wasn't saying all that much really. There were likely plenty of escaped prisoners who were likely around that they could stumble into. Still, she figured if they got this far they probably were the more intelligent type that would take this chance to run rather then putting their freedom at risk mingling near the prison. It seemed Sachiko had managed to get out herself in disguise though perhaps not quite as smoothly as she might of liked. Luckily stupidity seemed to be a rather common ailment to the prisoners giving her the chance to slip away with Miho's signal out of the danger. She hadn't expected Sachiko's reaction dispelling the disguise seeming to show a great deal of exhaustion, followed by her jumping to her feet.

It really struck her how taken back she was. Despite her attempts to deliver puns Shioreta could tell she was out of it. She was really so far out of her game today its as if her hair dye washing out just suddenly left her all exposed and unable to completely lift up the facade she normally put on. Perhaps the prison 'event' wasn't exactly the best thing for anyone to witness either. It was something that would likely haunt the dreams of many a person if they had to bare witness to some of what they saw. For Shioreta though her nihilistic view on life made it hard for her to flinch. Empathy was a trait that was far more subdued for her. It was there, but she had to kind of force it a bit and often put on a face rather then it occurring naturally.

Watching Sachiko get it all of her system and enter into her own little world humming to herself, she decided against saying much more. She seemed clearly to be coping in her own way and she wasn't really sure how much she could do trying to be upbeat and responding back directly to her. She looked to Waka as he seemed to be... okay? I mean he wasn't being all grouchy at least right now. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to talk to him a bit in Sachiko's stead a little herself?

"It wouldn't hurt to spend some time together. I've spent time hanging with Sachiko outside missions and on a few though we haven't spent as much time together. It would be nice if you joined us." She spoke putting on a smile trying to be friendly and encourage a positive team environment. It felt as if there needed to be some kind of light hearted moments between the team, much like those filler episodes in those animated shows she occasionally seen where they did silly things together and it was generally pointless but it also built character relationships. Their team was chaotic but it felt a bit more chaotic then normal and this mission only seemed to make things a bit worst. She looked over to Miho smiling lightly.

"I know Sachiko didn't invite you sensei... but you can come too if you like." She spoke with a sweet smile trying to extend a kind gesture. She didn't at all expect she would actually accept it. Hell, she half expected it would of been brushed off and the attempt at a friendly gesture completely just ignored. Still she felt it was good to bring up the offer. Anything to help with team cohesion right?

Mentioned: Orikanyo Orikanyo AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy Ganryu Ganryu

Team Hayate
Kiiro grimaced at Ryuuka’s assault, raising his arms in defense of the hail of strikes. His attempts at blocking and dodging her blows were mediocre at best. It’d seem that for all of his talk, taijutsu wasn’t the Inochi nin’s forte. She would notice that every hit Ryuuka landed, a small puff of yellow would escape the flowers across his body. The pollen starting to stick to her hands, feet, and anywhere else that had touched Kiiro. Occasionally a sharp crack could be heard as a particularly hard strike made contact with the wooden armor. For armor, its defense didn’t seem all that sturdy.

The Inochi genin gritted his teeth. Why isn’t anything happening? Sharp eyes studied Ryuuka through her swaying motions, the pollen that had already built up on her should have had an effect by now. Was it the jutsu she used before rushing me? Or am I missing something else here?

Kiiro sprang back, putting a few arm’s lengths between him and his opponent. He formed the rat handsign. The wind would pick up around them, whipping into a frenzy as it swirled leaves around Ryuuka obscuring her vision. As suddenly as it appeared, the wind died down, revealing Kiiro had vanished.

Demonic Illusion: Hellviewing Technique

Moving further back, Kiiro took a moment to catch his breath and glance over the battlefield before returning his attention to Ryuuka. While he wasn’t a fan of such blunt techniques, it would seem his more subtle style wasn’t having the intended effect. But if this forces her to take a breath…

”AAAWWWW!” Kohaku whined loudly at the sudden substitution. Not bothering to turn back as Aya reappeared behind her. Though Aya might notice the senbon held between her fingers as Kohaku’s arm dropped back to her side. ”You don’t play? But you’re playing with me right now! You could’ve run away and went on with this lame trial thing.”

A flash of lightning illuminated the thin threads Aya had connected to the still fluttering robes, Kohaku’s face lighting up at the sight. ”Oh! Oh! You like puppets too? But that’s your…” The grass rustled in front of them as she let out a loud gasp. ”There are boys here!” The diminutive kunoichi cried out before diving to the side. Having stood there talking, Kohaku didn’t give herself a chance to prepare a body flicker. The small jump only managed to put a few feet between them at best. Aya’s sticky silk clung to one of Kohaku’s sandals, prompting the genin to abandon the shoe.

Riku’s head popped out from the tall grass as she dove, mouth open and a rapid stream of bright green smoke pouring forth. It quickly swept over Kohaku and threatened to do the same to Aya if she didn’t fall back. A sharp, bitter scent followed after the cloud that burned the eyes and throat. ”Lemme cover you up!”

A loud crack resounded as Yoshiro’s fist struck the hastily conjured shield. The genin huffed at the defense, his arm starting to pull back and reform. Catching sight of the clone’s blind charge, he abandoned the motion to instead swing and coil the limb around the clone’s throat like a whip. With a grunt, Yoshiro would try to yank the clone off its feet and slam it into the mirror they had all emerged from. At the very least he wanted to shatter one of the two.

Arm returned to normal, the genin’s eyes narrowed at the numerous crystals now hovering in the air above him. ”Relying on your precious bloodline, huh?” Yoshiro called out before the storm of needles began. He started weaving through the barrage, his unnatural flexibility helping him evade many of the needles. The addition of the clone seemed to make doing so more difficult, however.

Yoshiro lunged at the clone in a lariat, much like he had attempted with Ryuuka before. The moment his arm would make contact with the clone, it would coil around it like he’d done before. Only this time, all four of his limbs joined in. Restraining the clone and holding it close like a shield. Even if it meant taking a few needles, Yoshiro remained stone still.

IG42 IG42 AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy Ace Cream Ace Cream

Backroom Dealing
Sachiko & Miho Collab

Sachiko read the note again.

“Huh. Sensei wants to meet me in a bar…?”

She flipped it upside down, then side to side. If there was a code, she wasn’t seeing.

“How can I mess this one up… hmmm. Well, if its a bar, they aren’t going let a sweet little child like me inside.”

She tapped her chin.

“While it would be hilarious to go as Miho, I’d have to beat her there. What’s the worst thing I could possibly do…?”

=========================================

A few moments later the Tsumikage would be approaching the Silver Leaf Bar looking very tired. It was a hard look to pull off. Mostly cause Sachiko hardly ever saw her. Obviously Sachiko approaching as the Tsumikage was a bad idea. What other idea was worth doing!?

The Silver Leaf was a quiet, but well ordered little watering hole popular with jonin looking to unwind between missions. Though it’s interior was fairly dated these days the business did well enough catering to a small group of loyal regulars rather than the changing whims of the general public and the bartender, aimlessly polishing a glass mug with a rag when Sachiko entered, more or less knew all his patrons by name if not by face.

The Tsumikage was not one of those patrons and so when she entered his establishment he blinked once and then carefully put down the mug.

“Oh good evening Lady Shimizu,” he said politely, with an inscrutable expression. “To what do we owe the honour of your presence?”

The Tsumikage held up a hand as she scanned the bar. “Just looking for a jonin I’m supposed to be getting a report from.”

Inwardly Sachiko instantly knew she’d make a mistake. D-do I run and come back? Man, guess Tsumikage doesn’t slink off as much as I thought. What a boring leader… Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

“Miho Shimamura frequent here often?”

Hey Sensei, meet cart as I throw you under.

The bartender's expression shifted to resigned understanding and he sighed. “Oh I see, well if it’s like that you might as well go through, she’s at her usual table in the back corner. WHen you find her you tell her to stop holding all her business meetings here or we’re gonna have to start charging her rent.

“Heard that you fucker!” yelled a familiar, abrasive voice from the back of the bar.

The bartender shrugged non committedly. “Oh and for next the Tsumikage is actually shorter up close then you’d think,”

The Tsumikage look alive shrugged as well, before redoing the transformation as per his suggestion.

Just cause he knows I’m a fake doesn’t mean he has to know I’m a little girl too.

“Thanks for the suggestion. Granted, worst disguise I could choose in the first place. Regardless, I’ll take something virgin and on the rocks. I take Miho back there probably drinks her worth in rent though.”

She leaned in. “Between you and me, what’s her tab standing at anyways?”

With a smirk, Sachiko sauntered in, and sat infront of the jonin. She tilted her head back.

“How does this day find you?”

Miho sighed tiredly and took a sip from the amber colored liquid she’d been drinking while she waited. “One of these days I’m going to have to teach you how to use that jutsu to attract less attention to yourself instead of more. Siddown, drink your… whatever it is that people drink when they can’t have alcohol,”

Miho was silent for a while after that, regarding her student with a thoughtful frown. “So what’s your angle exactly?”

“N’aw… that’d be no fun. If I’m not a terrible ninja, what’s the point. I’m 1 for… alot so far! Personally I blame your terrible reputation for half of those.”
She shrugged. “And I have no idea what this is!”

Sachiko downed it, then raised an eyebrow as she swished it in her mouth. Waiting a moment, she gulped it down.

“Fruity least. Raspberry, lime, mint, coconut and bit of honey. Not bad.

Anyways, asking my angle makes it seem like I have something not wholesome planned and am deeeefinitely someone to watch out for. Long as my teammates don’t get hurt, I’m fiiiiiine being a terrible ninja. Real catch is making sure they don’t get hurt. Between Wakanaka starting fights, and my bestie’s, Shioreta’s, shynes that makes it hard!

What’s your angle? Cause ya complain alot, but this meeting’s off of hours, and I know if ya doing it for me, doing it for the other two. Man, can’t wait to see how they screw this one up! Hahaha...”

SAchiko wiped away an invisible tear, letting the transformation pop.

“Least I mess stuff up intentionally…”

“My angle is that right now you’re making my life harder than it needs to be,” Miho said, already feeling the beginnings of a headache coming on. “And I don’t like that, I work very hard to keep my life simple, that’s why I have the reputation I do, because it encourages people not to bring their bullshit to me.

See I don’t really care if you want to hold yourself back for whatever reason, as long as you don’t goof off when the shit actually hits the fan it’s no skin off my back. Hell if you make a convincing enough screw up I might not have to do this teaching crap ever again which would be an outright positive.”

Miho broke off to down the rest of her drink, relishing the burn on its way down her throat.

“But the thing is I need to know why. I need you to be a known quantity so I can actually plan around your weird antics instead of having to react to them. Reacting irritates me,”

“Aw… but I thought we were having a moment.”

Sachiko took another sip, letting a moment set in.

“Sorry, looking over the poker chips. I’m not as good as you are at it sensei. Then again, they stuck you with teaching anyways, so maybe you are just as good as I am.”

Sachiko sat tapping the table.

“Decisions… decisions… you don’t want me to bring ‘my bullshit to you’, but deeefinitely wanna know why. What’s a girl gotta do!?

Well, you just wanna know what so you can predict it, right? I just want everyone else to take the credit! That’s good enough, right? Cause you were in ANBU, right? Sounds kinda up my ally. Get results, do terrible things, nobody knows who you are, and you get to lie to everyone! Pree sure sums up what I wanna do pree well! My only ninja skill is I’m lucky after all! You should take me poker playing one day. Or dice rolling. Cause then I could prove I’m lucky!”

“ANBU is not ‘up your alley’,” Miho said darkly and a little more forcefully than she had intended to. “It’s not up anyone’s alley, it’s where people go when they want to hide from something and their too deep into this thing to actually run away without being tracked down by hunter nin. But I guess that’s enough for me to work with, so I’m going to offer you a deal,”

Suddenly Miho lifted up a stack of papers from the bench she was seated on and put them on the table in front of Sachiko.

“They’re your performance reviews for the next two months,” Miho said matter of factly. “Well they will be, right now they’re blank, they could say anything you want them to: ‘Sachiko’s a once in a generation genius; Sachiko’s the worst, most miserable excuse for a shinobi I’ve ever seen; Sachiko’s exactly average in every conceivable way, whatever you want,”

“Oooh, oooh! I want the second!”
Sachiko said with a smile on her face. Then it suddenly darkened as she realized something. It look like it broke.

“Sensei… you’re not fair! Dangit.”

She slumped in her chair. “Chunnin exams are coming up… aren’t they? And if I give myself an awful review, it’d hurt the other two, wouldn’t it? Hmm… Would you consider them in the first place? Cause if not, in a heart beat. If so, guess I have to keep up… or at least be average.”

“Oh I wouldn’t put you little goblins into the exams for like a decade if I had a choice in the matter,” said Miho with a snort that was as close as she got outright laughter. “But I probably don’t. Intervillage relations are a little tense at the moment and the boss will want to put a strong front up. So anything short of an outright fail grade and you’ll probably find yourselves along for the ride, but you could definitely make yourself pretty below average without kneecapping the other two if that’s what you’re worried about,”

Sachiko collapsed into her hands on the table with a notable, “Ughhhhhh…”

“I don’t trust that… BAH! I hate politics…”
She said talking into her elbow. “If it was purely an option, yeah, I’d choice that. Definitely what I’m going for. But the village is more important than my nindo… I could get away with it, and should get away with it are two different things. Bah… Write I’m ‘an average ninja, no ninjutsu or genjutsu skills, but supports her teammates… Uses dojutsu and tools.’ Kill me please… ugh.”

Sachiko then sat up pulled out her black bag. “Fine. I don’t want to do this, frustrating you’s fun, but bah, gotta be serious sometimes. You’d better conveniently forget everything I’m bout to show! Here’s my secret bag of stuff to make things unfair.

There are 3 uranium rods in here as bo shurikens. 4 times heavier than normal, I can throw them.”

She opened her pun book: ‘When Life Gives You Melons, and Satan Gives Gifts, a Dyslexic Jokebook’, and opened it. The inside was completely hollowed out, holding the bo shurikens.

“No one was going to look in there.”

She then pulled out a contact case. “Here’s my dojutsu. I’m immune to flashbangs and dust while wearing them, why that photo at Mt. Fuji makes me look like a black eyed demon. Working on shifting the lenses to see infrared, but not there yet.”

She shuffled through. “Med kit with stuff I picked up from Kurio, the nerd. And thinking of stuffing fake tags in here. Keep real tags in my hat. Then normal toolkit, with a single extra kunai in my shoe. That is everything, and I hate you.”

She collapsed into her arms again. “Still don’t trust the ‘can give myself a bad review…’ And I really want to…”

Miho blinked. “Well, that wasn’t what I was going to ask for so as far as I’m concerned you just volunteered all that information for free, call it a private lesson in negotiation.” Miho leaned around Sachiko to signal to someone at the bar for a refill.

The fuck did she get depleted uranium from anyway? Miho wondered privately before continuing.

“No what I want in exchange for my blank check, regardless of whether I write it with your input or if you do decide to make it up whole cloth is something simpler but more tangible. I want a veto,”

“No wonder you have a terrible reputation…. What do you want a veto on?”

“Your whole “I’m no good at this” act,” Mihho said, letting the jab at her reputation glide off back serenely. “If I say the word I want you to throw everything you have at whatever we’re dealing wtih, regardless of who’s watching and how competent you end up looking, I’ll cover it up in the after action reports if need be, but if you hesitate at all after I call for it then the deal’s off,”

“Deal.” Sachiko said without hesitation. She then reached for a piece of paper. “Though wouldn’t it put it as wholly an act. Try holding this.”

“Oh, litmus paper,” Miho said as the paper became damp between her fingers

“Great Kounna heir, only ninja in the village probably without an element. Fiiine. Say the word and I’ll throw everything. Kitchen sink and Waka if need be. But not Shio. She’s my bestie!

Uh, long as my actual reviews aren’t good, who cares….?”

“Elemental ninjutsu are mostly a trap for genin anyway, they’re an easy way to wear yourself out and make a mistake that gets you killed,” Miho stood up, discarding the litmus paper and reaching over to shake Sachiko’s hand. “Buuut I’ve done enough off hours teaching to last me the rest of the week I figure, so I’m gonna cut this short, looks like we have a deal,”

“But paper no go boom…”
Sachiko said sadly but sighed, and shook the hand, standing as well. “And you didn’t even get gronk. Man, first time I’m sure the barkeep’ll see you leave sober. Well, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go get myself banned from a respectable establishment. Might wanna get a headstart, sensei. See ya!”

Shibata Yamamoto
Crashing through the mirror the more thickly built clone didn't dispel but was visibly spiderwebbed with cracks and struggled to stiffly pick itself out of the dirt, while Shibata was pleased the clone had remained mostly intact it was obvious to him he still needed to keep working to strengthen his crystals. "Is that a problem?" He asked in response to the half-assed jab at his fighting style. "Would you rather we settle this with a round of Go or just rock paper scissors?" While he was speaking the swirling crystals continued to dip and dive at Yoshiro.

Seeing the attack coming at his undamaged clone Shibata stepped up his barrage as Yoshiro shifted from pure evasion to offence putting more speed behind the needles trying to land a telling blow on his evidently hardened skin. Taking the blow and getting grabbed the clone tried to strike back as best it could with as much of it's limbs as it could move or failing that simply headbutting before throwing all it's weight forward toppling over with Yoshiro underneath. Slightly confused by why Yoshiro would give up his mobility to grab a disposable clone Shibata mustered his needles and launched a tightly clustered barrage at the serpentine ninja's head hoping to stun him before he could slip away, in the midst of hail of crystal the damaged clone approached with a jerky zombie-like stride to collapse it's own weight onto the dogpile.

KageYuuki KageYuuki

Ryuuka Tagamatsu
Ryuuka could feel the wooden armour buckle under her cuts and the boy's attempts at fending off her strikes were pretty sloppy.

Gramps would really chew this guy out, his stance is all over the place Ryuuka mused as she sidestepped an uppercut and jammed a knifehand into her oponnent's neck where the wood was thin, feeling it crack satisfyingly. Then Kiiro jumped backwards and began weaving handseals. Ryuuka followed him instinctively, seeking to keep him pressured and launched a straight punch at him but just before her fist collided with his face the boy was enveloped in flying leaves and disappeared.

Huh? Did I get him? Ryuuka wondered, certain that she had felt something soft crumple beneath her. Ryuuka turned slowly around, searching for her opponent, but she couldn't see him. Ryuuka couldn't see anyone. She was alone.

"Uhhh, guys?" Ryuuka called, an uneasy feeling worming its way into her heart as she slowly scanned her surroundings for anyone else. Ryuuka had never really liked being along, ever since- well it didn't matter, they weren't really gone right? If this guy had some kind of crazy teleporting jutsu that could make everyone disappear then he would have used it before getting his face caved in right? He wouldn't even need teammates if that were the case. Right. Totally. "Guys!?"

Ryuuka forced herself to slowly circulate some of the air stored in her lungs as her heart rate sped up steadily. Okay, okay calm down. Ryuuka told herself. Probably noone is actually gone, which must mean this is one of those gen-whatevers and that guy is around here somewhere close by. If I can get him to attack me then I'll know where he is and I can just kick him really hard.

Ryuuka closed her eyes, trying to focus on her sense of touch and began weaving elaborate hand seals. The handseals wouldn't do anything but hopefully they would make the other guy panic and attack her, thinking she was about to unleash some monster jutsu. At the same time Ryuuka channelled chakra into her legs once more, ready to body flicker in whatever direction a threat came from and unleash a powerful, flying kick one last time.

KageYuuki KageYuuki
IG42 IG42
Ace Cream Ace Cream

Training(???) with sensei.
Wakanaka and Miho

A young man sat on a bench in the training field, his lunch was next to him. Chewing away on some rice, his eyes were on the path into the place. He had been there since 9 am, the time he was told to be there, and had been sitting there for roughly 2 hours waiting, waiting for the person who told him to be there early. Bright and early, she said, with a slight mixture of tone that denoted punishment if he was late.

How ever, he was not late, he infact came 30 minutes early just to be sure, but now he had been sitting on this bench waiting for his sensei, wordlessly disappointed and quite unhappy with being left to wait.

Was this a prank he had wondered around the first 20 minutes, did Sachiko change into Miho and toy with him?

Around the 40 minute mark he had kicked the bench in frustration.

An hour in he started grumbling unhappily like an annoyed dog.

An hour and a half it started to rain, the training area had no cover so… He simply sat there…

At the 2nd hour mark he had hit a form of pure zen, not careing anymore and simply sitting there, peacefully eating his lunch with an empty look on his face. Soaked through from the quick shower, he would not leave yet. He had run through what he'd say to sensei many times, but really all anger had disappeared. If it was a prank, if his sensei was being foolish, if he had gotten the day wrong, it didn't matter.

As the sun warmed his wet body he sighed. "...I should have packed miso soup… Maybe some chicken would be nice… Could really go for some rabbit…" his diet was similar to his mother's, always loved meat, hell he even had her taste for blue steak. Together they could pick a turkey's bones clean at a single sitting. Guess thats why dad took up being a vegeterian…

Meat was good…

Blessings from the animals.

If they didn't want to be eaten, why are they made of food?

He nodded at his silly rationalization, though he made himself hungry again, and really could go for something spicey. Maybe a meat curry? Or a hot meat bun? Spiced pork belly… He should get a pack of bacon when he goes home, not for breakfast but it would be a nice snack to share with mom. He'd get something for dad but… His palate was so different than his…

...Miho probably wasn't coming yet, perhaps he can sneak off and grab a meat bun.

Standing up from his seat he started to walk toward the exit, the thoughts of food on his mind, and a rare smile upon his face.

Waka wouldn’t get far before his progress would be barred by a leg raised to about his waist, attached to his sensei, who was leaning against a wall near the entrance to the training grounds. Miho was a little hard to recognise, having uncharacteristically worn a pair of sunglasses and a large, floppy hat, she was also carrying a bright red drink with a straw poking out of it.

“The fuck are you going?” Miho asked Wakana, adjusting her sunglasses. “I told you to meet here right about…” Miho casually glanced at her watch-

Two hours ago. Fuck.

Miho’s head throbbed painfully. What had started out as a single nightcap to take the edge off writing up her after action report from that clusterfuck of a mission had rapidly evolved into an all night bender that resulted in less of a report and more of a page worth of scrawled obscenities. After waking up in the early afternoon and hurriedly redoing the entire report through her and fixing up something to take the edge off her pounding hangover Miho had managed to drop it off before the deadline but the cost had been turning up to this other appointment pretty solidly late.

“...I was going to get something from the store, simply to pass more time waiting.” Wakanaka responded calmly, still way past the stage of anger and entered that strange euphoria where you simply don’t care any more.

Though he rose his head to look up to her, and tilted his head slightly “...You almost look ready to go to the beach.” He was ready to go about the training, not like he’d be remiss to going to the beach…. Even though he was sure there wasn’t any near here…

That wasn’t overflown with Akuma chakra.

And who knew what would be lurking in the depths…

“Oh,” said Miho, as the tiniest twinge of something resembling guilt wormed its way up past her headache. “Alright fuck it we’re already behind schedule by two hours I guess I can wait ten minutes,” Miho dug out a handful of coins and tossed them lightly to Waka. “Off you go then, get me a sandwich or something too, I didn’t eat breakfast,”Miho turned and walked to a nearby bench to sit down and take another sip from her drink. “We’ll start when you get back,”

Waka counted out the coins mid stride, guess sensei wasn’t all toi bad today…

~~~~~~~~~

Okay, he may have splurged abit, the bag was full with various snacks and a couple sandwiches, along with some over the counter pain relievers.

Guess the spirit of generosity came over him… If only he had more chances to employ such…

He returned to the training field with cargo in hand, looking around to try and find Miho.

MIho hadn’t actually moved from where she’d sat down after sending Waka on his errand, although she was now distractedly chewing on the end of a senbon, having left her cigarettes at home.

should’ve told him to buy some Miho mused silently as Waka came back into view He knows transformation jutsu right? I guess he wouldn’t have any idea if they carded him though

The prospect of pain relievers and actual food, even if it was just convenience store fare, was enough to push the nagging absence of nicotine to the back of Miho’s mind though and she relieved Waka of her share of the spoils with relative good humor.

“Alright. Talk to me about this chain you like to swing around,” Miho said, after the two of them had been eating in silence for a few minutes. “Why’d you pick it?”

Waka… Really hadn’t thought TO much on the matter, it… Well… “...It was different enough that it seemed… Interesting…” he wouldn’t admit he saw somebody use it once and thought it was cool, that’d be childish. “It seemed good, dad used it for abit, but I can see why he never specialized in it… Its… Alright in the end..?”

His soul demands more oomph than what the meteor hammer provides.

“Mmmkay, pretty lukewarm,” Miho said wryly, trying to remember if she knew who Waka’s dad was. “Which is… not great to be honest. With weapons you either want to not give a fuck at all or else be a total zealot about it, being halfway about it is a bad idea, you get what I’m saying?”

Waka nodds sadly, he really did feel bad about it. He had a stance for it but didn’t really care to much for the intricacies. “Yes sensei… But… I do want to be able to use most weapons… I hate feeling foolish with a new tool in hand.

But then I’d be trumped hard by any master…

I do not know what I have to do about this, I… Haven’t much of a specialty beyond what I naturally can do.” man.. He hated talking about his skills and such with teachers, made him feel small…

“Ehh those master types aren’t all they’re cracked up to be,” Miho said. “I mean don’t get me wrong there are people who can do things that would make your head spin with a weapon as simple as a stick. You remember that old geezer back at the prison? The one your psychotic little teammate impersonated? He’s a prime example and you got to see first hand the kind of strength you can get by devoting yourself totally to a weapon. But that’s only one kind of strength.”

Miho dug around in one of her pouches and pulled out an ordinary kunai knife, spinning it lightly by its circular pommel on one finger. “Nearly every ninja in the known world carries around at least one of these little bastards and most of us consider it normal to have a dozen or so on us at all times. But despite that probably no one, not a single soul in all of shinobi history, has ever mastered it the way Nobuyuki Hanamoto has mastered the sword. Why do you think that is?”

Waka considered it for a second… Before concluding. “...Because it’s short..? Does not have a long blade..?” kind of thrilled sensei is being a sensei.

“Bzzt, wrong,” Miho said, fishing out a packet of seaweed snacks from the plastic bag between them. “There are masters of the tanto which is about the same size, but they wouldn’t stoop to practicing their art with a kunai, because it’s not a weapon, it’s a tool.” Miho tossed the kunai up lightly before catching it. “Tools are things we humans invent to make our lives easier. We make them to do things we can’t do or can’t be bothered to do and we make them easy to use, so that we don’t have to throw away half our lives learning which way to hold it. A hammer or a plough or a rolling pin that only worked properly in the hands of a master would be damn near useless to most people but that same quality in a weapon makes it refined and noble.” Miho snorted.

“Weapons like that mostly exist to draw out the power and discipline of their wielder. With tools it's the opposite, they have power in and of themselves that anyone can draw out as long as they’re somewhat proficient. The upper potential of a tool’s power is limited compared to a weapon, but you can be proficient in a hundred tools in the time it takes to master one weapon and every one of those tools will have situations where it is especially effective, problems it was especially designed to solve. The trick to using a tool isn’t in mastering the thing itself, it’s knowing when to use what tool,”

“You wouldn’t use a sword to dig or cut down a tree.. You would use a spade and an axe… Thank you sensei… That was incredibly enlightening…” sometimes you need a sensei’s guidance to… Remember that tools are tools to do things… Having alot of tools works to be prepared for most things…

“..There are weapons that can be used as tools though, At times rudimentary but…” he ponders. “The monk’s spade is one, axes in simplicity… But complete weapons are useless beyond their main focus…”

“...Umm… Are you saying focus on tools instead of weapons…?”

“Not exactly no,” Miho said, taking a sheet of seaweed from her snack bag and crushing it in her palm. “I’m saying change your perspective on what is a weapon and what is a tool. Because if a tool is something you use to make your life easier-” Miho opened her palm and blew the seaweed particles into Waka’s eyes, temporarily blinding him as she stood up and left, calling over her shoulder as she left. “Well almost anything can do that if you know how to use it,”

“Oww!” Waka began to rub his eyes quickly, not expecting a dick move from sensei… her words somewhat tainted by the seaweed attack, awful thanks for getting stuff for you…

Great… So make use of whats around you… Didn’t he already do that in the prison?

Whatever…

Sit around for 3-4 hours to get told anything is a weapon and everything is useful.

Sighing heavily the boy finally got his eyes clear. “Tsk… Cheeky… perspective on what is what, I know for sure my whole team is a bunch of arse… Thats for certain…” he grumbled, back to being unhappy.

But he guess thats his normal now…

Last edited by a moderator:
Training to a Fiery Death

Okimi would find a note on her door telling her to meet her at Training Ground #13. She would also find a note duct taped to Feurey as well. Ichiro had a feeling one note would get seen faster than the other. It was probably going to be a brutal lesson today. His favorite.

For one reason or another, Okimi had woken up later than usual. Later than usual being an hour after sunrise. Despite still feeling groggy and fatigued, she tossed herself out of bed to try and get ready. With her vision still blurry, she glanced over at Feurey who was still curled up on the bed asleep. There was a weird square on his back. A note? Okimi’s fatigued vanished, and she snatched the note right off of Feurey. She read it, crumpled it up, and tossed it at the wall.

“When the hell did he get in here!”

Minutes later, Okimi and Feurey stepped out of their home, fully geared up.

As Okimi would leave her house, she would find a half eaten steak in the front yard, raw,and burn marks from Feurey along with a small rabbit trap. How Ichiro had gotten the note on was a total mystery.

“Seriously Feurey? Are you that easy to fool?”

The little green dragon ignored her and picked up the remaining half of the steak, using it as his breakfast.

Some time later, Okimi and Feurey came stomping onto Training Ground 13. She walked near the center and folded her arms.

More oddness for the day, Okimi would see in the distance boulders flying in the air, before falling back down, and looping back up into the sky in a series of loops and juggles, Ichiro literally juggling 5 ton rocks into the air. They crashed around him as Okimi walked up.

“Wondered when you’d get up. We’re doing training today. It's for the chunnin exams. I warn you, it’ll be brutal. Your mother said make sure you don’t die in the exam, nothin’ bout the training leading up to it! So, you always wanted to burn me to death, right? Today’s your chance.”

Seeing giant boulders flying around in the air because her sensei was somehow strong enough to juggle them was more than enough to shake the spirits of the young ninja. Could chakra really make you that strong, or was sensei really just that powerful on his own? Okimi shook the thoughts from her head.

“That’s all I needed to hear!”
With that said, Okimi brought her hands together, forming a quick series of handsigns before pressing her hand against the ground.

Fire Style: Purging Pillar

Flames beneath the ground swiftly snaked towards Ichiro with the intention of blowing up beneath him.

Ichiro watched the handsigns, watched the push of fire into the ground, then sighed. He stepped forward, and stood on the boulder he’d been juggling.

“Did you learn… nothing in that long ass lecture. I hate repeating myself. So I ain’t. You get to figure out the point of this spar on your own.”

“Screw your lectures old man!” Okimi yelled back.

She formed another quick series of handsigns, this time firing a small ball of fire towards Ichiro. It moved slowly, so he figured he’d just jump out of the way again, but she began to form the handsign for her first jutsu once again, getting ready to try and blast whatever boulder he tried to land on.

A sudden howl could be heard from her sensei, and Okimi would hear him from every direction at once, the man sounding more like a wolf than a man. The fireball would strike against the boulder, leaving blackened scorch marks behind… and no sensei.

The mad barking, however, persisted.

“What the hell?” Okimi couldn’t help but but turn around and around at each bark and howl. She hadn’t ever encountered anything like this. Was this one of those genjutsus she’d been taught about, or was sensei really just an animal moving at incredible speeds? Not knowing was the scariest part.

A hand grabbed her wrist from behind, holding it up.

“Genjutsu.” He confirmed. “I hid behind the boulder for cover.” He smirked, and held her wrist away from the other. “So… what do you do now? I am impressed your lizard wasn’t your first answer.”

“Feurey is still finishing his breakfast!” Okimi growled back at him before throwing her fist towards Ichiro’s face. She hadn’t really ever tried to punch someone before, so it wasn’t much of a punch.
The fist collided against the savage man, his face unblinking, though he did let go.

“Fair enough, that would get someone of your level to let go.”

He cracked his neck.

“Right, think I got a good assessment of you there.”

He stepped back, and squatted on the ground, infuriatingly coming down to her level.

“But I want to hear your own assessment, and what we’re going to do about it?”

Okimi frowned, crossing her arms and turning away from Ichiro. “Do about what? The genjutsu? I’ll just blow out of it next time. I just need to get a better fire jutsu. I need a faster one too, one i can catch faster people with.”

Okimi said this confidently, not really understanding what the point of all this was.

Ichiro’s toothy grin grew. “Works for me. What sort of fire jutsu do you think could hit someone you can’t see? Cause as I see it, you are very stabbable as soon as a genjutsu goes off.”

Okimi turned her head back towards sensei, the rest of her body still facing away from him.

“Well if I can’t see them, I need to blast fire in as many directions as possible. So a jutsu that’s a just… an explosion!” The very thought of it made Okimi smile.

“Right. Course you’re pipsqueak body can’t probably make a fireball big enough, so… what about just a shockwave of fire… Hmmm… Or what about a wave of it from the ground? Make some sticky fire and just jump and shoot it below you? Hmm. You might be onto something, I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Just make sure your teammates have some way to not die from it. Paperwork to get you alone was a pain in the ass. Mostly cause I don’t read or write good.

Anyways, let me know when you start working on it, I’ll get some med nin ready.”

“What? You think I can’t do it just cus I ain’t grown yet? Watch and learn then!”

Without regard to Ichiro, Okimi formed the Tiger handsign, started focusing all the chakra she could towards her hands.

Ichiro looked at her, shrugged, then jumped back. He wasn’t training no coward.
“This way Kurio gets some training in too.”

Several moments later, Okimi stomped her foot and thrust her hands forward towards one of the boulders. A rush of flame burst forth from her hands, but it didn’t all go where she intended. Okimi felt her hands burning. It was enough to make Okimi wince and lose her concentration, making the flames sputter out, leaving nothing but some burn marks on her palms.

The boulder itself was burned, but hadn’t sustained much actual damage.

“Pfft. Pansy. I was expecting you to explode. Do it again.”

“Shut up,” Okimi barked back as she clenched her fists, feeling the burns ignite her nerves.

Once again, Okimi formed the tiger handsign, letting the chakra flow to her hands. But this time she added on another handsign, the dragon. It was one she used to summon Feurey, so she figured it could help.

Once again, Okimi let the blast go. This time the wave of flames surged forth in a more concentrated area, crashing into the same boulder with interruption.

The side of the boulder was left totally scorched now, sizzling like a meatball on a grill.

“Again.” Ichiro commanded, staring at her with a… surprisingly serious expression. He stood up from his regula slouch and crossed his arms. “Quit fucking around with the weak flames. You’re a chakra monster. AGAIN with everything. And get rid of your summon, its eating your chakra.”

“His name is Feurey!” Okimi replied with a brief pout. She did as he asked though, motioning Feurey close to pat him on the head and have him disperse in a puff of warm smoke.

Taking another deep breath, Okimi prepped to fire again. Ichiro insisted that Okimi was a ‘chakra monster’. That meant she should be able to blow this boulder straight to hell.

Okimi formed the tiger handsign, and this time took a little inspiration from Feurey. Chakra concentrated in her mouth. Flames began to ignite in her mouth bursting forth in a massive wave of fire.

However all the flames did was scorch the boulder even further, along with the earth behind it in a wide cone. Okimi clenched her fists when she noticed the boulder was still standing.

“Why the hell won’t the boulder break?”

“Because YOU’RE still standing. I thought I told you put in everything you have into it. Chakra exhaustion can do all sorts of terrible things to you. Standing up generally isn’t in that.”

Ichiro snarled as he spoke, walking up to her with a certain swagger to his steps, picking her off the ground. A sizzling could be heard from his feet.

“Question. Do you think there are any Feather Ninja who would put more on the land than you do? The side less afraid to lose will win every single time. DO.IT.AGAIN.”

Ichiro then suddenly slammed something into her mouth, and then stepped away without a single explanation.

Okimi crushed the object between her teeth. Swallowing it accidentally. “You’re fucking insane… I’ll show your ass ‘everything’.”

Feeling reinvigorated Okimi took another deep breath, this time expanding her lungs as far as they could go before exhaling. Her hands came together to form the Tiger seal, as the chakra gathered in her mouth once more.

It wasn’t long before she had gathered the same amount if chakra as she had for her last blast. It felt like her mouth was full of a fresh meatbun. Delicious but painful. At this point it felt like Okimi had to force her chakra towards her mouth. The ball of flames that formed in her mouth grew brighter and brighter as Okimi poured her chakra into it. She felt like she was gonna pass out at this point, so she kept going for a little longer.

That extra moment was all she needed. The fire in her mouth shot forward like a beam. The heat carved a hole through the boulder effortlessly, bursting out the other side only moments later. It continued on across the training ground and off into the distance before the beam suddenly veered upwards into the air before disappearing.

Okimi had fallen onto her back with smoke rising out of her mouth. Her eyes had rolled back in her unconsciousness. The girl wouldn't be tasting anything for awhile now.

“That’s how you use all your chakra!” Ichiro barked proudly

-----------------

Okimi would wake up some time later in white sheets, and in a white gown, in a bed with rails on the side, and several IV’s hooked up to her.

Next to the side of her, a plate with a single shard of glass could be seen. The glass wasn’t pretty or well shaped… and that’s what made it seem natural.

There was a note as well on the plate and it said… something. Ichiro was not kidding at how bad he was at writing or reading, or filling out paperwork…

A nurse ran up to her.

“What were you thinking! If it wasn’t for that soldier pill you took, that much chakra depletion could have killed you!”

“Wha… what?” Okimi didn’t realize she could have killed herself back there. But then again, she wasn’t dead. Her head was still fuzzy though.

Was this what Ichiro wanted? If it was, then he was a horrible sensei. Nonetheless, Okimi had pushed farther than she ever had before. It was like she unlocked a new piece of herself, and that piece was going to make her stronger. So in the end, Okimi called the training a success. Although, her tongue hurt. Finally, she processed what the nurse had said to her.

Okimi turned to the nurse. “Shut the hell up.”

The Mochizuki Meeting
Ichiro took a deep breath as he approached the home of the clan known as the Mochizuki. He hated more the fact he was in a suit than the fact he was in the presence of a fearsome KG. Tsubame was a good student, he was expecting a rather quiet and reserved household. A knock sounded.

“Yo, it’s Ichiro sensei. I’m here to discuss Tsubame. Where’s the folks at?”

Tact… was not in his forte.

It was Tomoko who answered the door and bowed. “Welcome to our home, Ichiro-sensei. Mother and father are waiting for you in the living room.”
She was quiet and reserved as she led Ichiro away from the prying eyes of clan members outside and deeper into the house. It was spotless. Toshiko and Eito Mochizuki waited for Ichiro in the living room and bowed when they saw him.

Behind them a fenced backyard with painted targets and training dummies could be seen through the glass windows. Toshiko shared the purple hair and eyes of her eldest children, while Eito looked like Tomoko. “Welcome. What did you want to discuss?” Toshiko asked.

Ichiro raised an eyebrow, hastily bowing, before sitting with his arms stretched out over the chair. A folder then fell from his hand onto the table, with a picture of Tsubame.

“Your daughter’s performance of as a ninja. Only done a single mission with her, but I’m happy with what I saw. Her taijutsu’s pretty good, and aptitude better. Other two definitely I got points I plan on working with, and while Tsubame Isn't really better than them, I don’t think I have to correct her course either unlike the other two. Who trained her anyways?”

Ichiro’s eyes then flickered between the file and Toshiko. He looked amused, he didn’t say anything.

“We trained her in the basics,” Toshiko said, gesturing at the backyard. “But we have clan members, retired usually, that assess the aptitude of our youngest and then hand them to more specialized teachers if they show potential. Those who don’t receive more generalized training. Tsubame was lucky enough to be tutored under another Shikosumyaku wielder.”

Neither took the folder.

“Do you know of our eldest son, Taro, by chance? He’s quite the star among our clan. I’m sure he’d be honored to meet you in any case,” Eito said.

Ichiro raised an eyebrow. ‘If’ they show potential? General training meant little training at all if his suspicions were correct… that was interesting. They didn’t seem to take the folder though, it probably WOULD surprise them, it being a glowing review. Ichiro didn’t do glowing reviews often. Whole thing annoyed him.

Buuut, Ichiro also wasn’t exactly the most loyal himself. His devotion was to strength, not single person. He was curious.

“Star… hmmm. Sure. But I think I have a bit of test… I’m curious. How well can he land a punch anyways? Gotta admit, you’re clan’s pretty powerful, so I have some pretty high expectations. Oh, and I’m not asking to spar, the hit’s free.”

Eito blinked at him and he and Toshiko exchanged a glance. “Well, we aren’t sure. He hasn’t sparred with us in some time,” he finally answered. “But he’s always leaned more towards kenjutsu than taijutsu.”

They still ignored the folder.

“Our other daughter, Tomoko, is quite talented as well. You met her earlier. She’s proficient in taijutsu and shurikenjutsu, but I’m sure she’d be overjoyed to receive tips from someone as esteemed as yourself in that area,” Toshiko said.

Ichiro smirked. “Alright then. You’ve got my curiosity. Let’s go.”

He stood, his full height again looming. For once he wasn’t slouching. A man with a mission… and an idle curiosity.

The folder was left behind.

Both parents were taken by surprise by the test happening right now, but quickly recomposed themselves. “Of course,” Toshiko said.

Tomoko appeared from the other room, having been quietly waiting and pretending not to listen. “If I meet your expectations will you train me as well? I’m sure mother and father would want that very much,” she said.

Ichiro laughed wildy. “Sure! Let’s see what you got. I’ll train whoever I think’s a better ninja.” Ichiro held up a hand to stop, and looked around for a moment. He hadn’t actually noticed Tomoko sneaking around. Was there anyone else? After a moment, he shrugged, and walked straight up to her.

“Hit me.” He said simply, his voice laden with menace. Ichiro didn’t have quite the same intensity the other Jonin Miho did with Killing Intent, but there was still something to be said of having someone as wild as he was staring one straight in the eye, with nothing but glee in it. His muscles tensed in preparation, becoming like stone.

Tomoko paused, taken aback by Ichiro’s demeanor. After a reassuring nod from her parents, she dropped into her clan’s low stance, ran forward, and drove a chakra-enhanced fist into Ichiro’s gut with all her strength. Her form was perfect.

Ichiro gave an ‘oof’ as he fell back an inch. Stone could still be moved afterall. He stopped for a long moment to look Tomoko up and down. “Genius… aren’t you? Not one flaw in that strike… no desperate flailing, no real feeling behind it, just executed it. In terms of talent, you are leagues above your sister..” He cracked his neck in thought, not answering for a moment.

“Fail.” He stated blankly. “And you two!” He pointed at the Toshiko and Eito. “The reason she’s failing is because you two! She should be an incredible ninja, but she won’t be like this. Tomoko, I’ll take back everything I just said if you can tell me what the difference between your strike, and your sisters. I’ll let you see it, just once, to be fair.”

Ichiro held out a handsign, and his voice suddenly boomed, echoing far and wide.

“Tsubame! Get out here. I know you’re eavesdropping. I want YOU to hit me.”

Ichiro grabbed his stomach. “This is going to suck… Tomoko already made me sore.”

A surprised squeak came from behind a wall. Tsubame stepped out in the open a second later, smiling placidly, pretending the embarrassing sound she made never happened. She bowed, neither looking at Tomoko nor her parents. “I’m sorry for eavesdropping, sensei. I didn’t mean to be rude.”

She did as he wished without a single protest. She dropped low in front of him, remembered what he’d told her about not leaving the ground, and hardened her knuckles with armadillo dance.

She punched him straight in the stomach. She tried to hold back her anger at how her parents ignored what was said about her, but she couldn’t.

Tomoko frowned.. “I know what’s different. She has Shikotsumyaku and I don’t. You don’t have to remind me.”

“Pfft. Like I care about that. And you haven’t either for years, have you? Ever since you surpassed her, it’s been easy rolling… Don’t really know what you want to do, don’t really care; that’s what makes a poor ninja. Meanwhile, you weren’t looking at her eyes, were you? Next time you spar her, if you want to get better, look into them. You’ll probably win the spar, but being better than her right now isn’t much of an accomplishment. If I were your sensei, that would be my first lesson.”

Ichiro reached out, and ruffled Tsubame’s hair. “In a year, though, she’ll one of the more dangerous chunnin of Tsumikage. And every reason why is in her eyes. Oh, also, I’m signing her up for them. It's risking life and limb, so I was getting your blessing. You offered me someone better than her, but, well… Tomoko’ll be plateauing soon unless she gets serious. Tsubame, I’m taking on more… intensive trainings. Speaking of which, Tsubame, get ready for a week long trip next Monday, go pack your things.”

He shooed her, before collapsing to one knee, holding a bloody stomach the moment she was out of sight..

Toshiko and Eito stared at Ichiro in shock. Their daughter, a genin, managed to injure a jonin. Tomoko had not. And it was because of something beyond their bloodline trait.

Tomoko fumed. “You’re wrong. I don’t need a sensei who doesn’t know anything. She’s strong because she was lucky, and that’s it.” She walked off. Neither parent chastised her for her disrespect.

Eito picked up the folder for the first time and flipped through it.

Toshiko stood. “With all due respect, Ichiro, I don’t appreciate you coming to my home, blaming us for these supposed ‘failings’, and then calling my youngest a poor ninja. I’d appreciate it if you would take your leave now. If you look around i’m sure you’ll find one of the clan medics to assist you.”

“You have my permission,” Eito said mildly. Toshiko frowned at him, but didn’t say another word.

“Pity. She’d have made a good kunoichi one day too... 273 ninja killed, 193 confirmed, 17 comrades lost… 31 S…. 301 A… 398 B….200 C... 50 D… I remember the eyes of each and every one…”

He stood without argument, and staggered off of the Mochizuki compound silently.

Inside the folder, Eito would find pictures of Tsubame fighting the Lighting Akuma Bear, one on one at one point, a few with the team, and its corpse in the river.​

Aya

Aya grunted as her attack barely missed her target. She did intent to end this quickly by wrapping her opponent in coccoon, but it seemed that she must gave it another attempt. However, sinister cloud swept over the place and Aya almost got drowned in it if not for her good reflex. She coughed to remove the little bit of gas that she inhaled, but her throat felts like burning and her eyes were flowing tears.

Be my eyes.

Small white spiders peeked out from Aya's clothes. Two, four, ten, twenty, two dozens of small spiders nesting on her shoulder, each of them connected to their master by an invisible thread. Aya's eyes were closed, but through the spiders she was still able to observe her surrounding, albeit in a much different type of sight.

"You, play... fart." Aya tried to talk back at her opponent but her voice was barely audible. She wasn't good with words but her burning throat and broken vocal cord really didn't help.

In an attempt to minimize the effect of the smoke, the spiders weaved an emergency masker and eyes cover for her. Aya was usually a shy and reserved person, but now that she covered her eyes and seeing through her spiders... She felts a strange boost of confidence within her. These kids... whoever they're had been trampling and playing with their mission. Time to show them who they're messing with. Yeah!

Aya's clothes expanded and covered her body in a big ball of silk. The ball spinned on the spot to gain some momentum before Aya launched herself towards Kohaku. The wind resulted from the ball spinning blew the smoke away as she pierces through it in an attempt to tackle the other girl. The outer side of the ball was sticky so Kohaku would be stuck on the ball instead of pushed away if she got hit by it.

AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy KageYuuki KageYuuki IG42 IG42

Light & Shadow

Sachiko hummed as she approached the training field. 15 minutes late wasn’t… that bad was it? Maybe it was. She was asking for an ‘expert’s’ opinion. But meh, that just made her want to tease him more.

Arriving at the field, Sachiko held her hand to her head, rubbing apologetically. “Sorry, traffic here was horrendous! Hope ya haven’t been waiting too long for lil’ ol’ me.” She lied. It wasn’t likely to be 'heavy traffic' on a Sunday.

Kurio sat reclined on a boulder that was covered in deep claw marks, a book open on his lap. “As far as ninja deceptions go, that one sucks.” He offered his usual smile, stowing the book in a pouch. Sachiko would likely catch a glimpse of the title. “Anyway, I wasn’t here overly long. It’s a nice morning.”

Sachiko blinked at the book title. “On one hand, I’m surprised you and sunlight agree with each other with you reading that. On the other, good to see you! Now I can get strongerer. I’ll be the best ninja ever.” Sachiko burst out laughing at the comment, wiping a tear from her eye. At least she thought it was funny.

“Anyways, wanting ya help. I wanna be a bit better of a support to my team. My ninjutsu sucks so med jutsu’s off the table, but, well, little knowledge never hurts anyone. That, and you know what my best skill is?”

Sachiko pulled out a kunai, and began to balance it on one finger. Flipping it in the air, she went to catch it, and whiffed it, barely missing, nearly impaling her hand, but somehow was less than half an inch away from her palm, the kunai slipping by and falling to the ground.

“I’m lucky! But, well, if I totally get off an accidental shanking on a guy, figure might help me if I know if it’s lethal or not.”

“Funny,” Kurio slid off the boulder onto the dusty ground. He tapped his chin, humming in thought as she spoke. “Well, even without medical ninjutsu you could still give first aid in a lot of situations.” He couldn’t help but cringe slightly as she nearly struck her own hand, “I mean, luck’s all well and good I suppose?” Kurio rubbed the back of his neck before shrugging, “So what are you looking for? An anatomy lesson? First aid help? I mean I could always do both, but we could be here awhile.”

“Yuppers! And I’m good to sit here and all, other than my horrifically short attention span, but then I got to thinking while I was supposed to be filling out paperwork… how could I make it practical… and I got the perfect idea!”

Sachiko then pulled out a sachel… two small paint cans, one orange, one blue. She pulled out two kunai, both with dull edges, dipping one in the orange, and one in the blue, and tossed the blue one to Kurio.

“Let’s do a mock tai fight. I mean, I’m not THAT good, but maybe I’ll get lucky. And if I don’t, you can point out any cuts you make on me if they are lethal or not. And if Waka’s luck gods are worth anything and I get off an accidental hit, we can see if it was lethal on you. After each hit, comment on what you’d do to patch it up!”

Sachiko then tapped her chin, splattering orange paint on her chin and clothes. “Hmm… seems unfair of me learning everything though. Guess I could, I dunno, help you with something? I’m decent with tools I guess. Could whip something up… or give you pointers later…? Hmm… Meh, let’s do this thing!”

Sachiko took up a fighting stance, before realizing she had the wrong hand forward, and swapped over to her right hand forward with the knife in hand.

“That’s…” Kurio caught the kunai, splattering a few drops of paint on his shirt. “Huh… that’s actually a pretty good idea.” Shifting his stance, he couldn’t help but idly wonder what would happen if Ichiro were to do this. Would he have given them sharpened blades? He could practically hear the jounin say ‘let’s work on that healing of yours’ as he did so.

“Honestly, I’m not all that impressive with taijutsu either so I suppose it’s an even match? As for what you could do in exchange?” Kurio shrugged, lunging forward in a low slash. “I don’t know, any idea how to get paint out of clothes?”

“You’ll find all my ideas are good ideas! ‘Cept for the one’s that’ll get everyone killed, but, well, ain’t nobody to complain ‘bout tho-whoa!”
Sachiko tripped backwards, her feet flying out from under her as he slashed, Kuro’s blade going under her. “Ow!” She rubbed her back as she landed on her rear, before her hand flicked forward, sending the blade dead center at his abdomen. She stuck her tongue out at him for good measure.

Kurio arched an eyebrow as she stumbled back and fell. Very lucky… Changing grip on the kunai, he followed her fall and stabbed downward. He twisted with the motion, blinking as her weapon struck to the right instead of dead center. “Only decent with tools, hm?” He deadpanned, offering her a hand up before picking up her kunai.

“Anyway, you would have struck my liver with that. Not inherently lethal, unless you pulled the blade out. Wounds there tend to bleed. A lot.”

“Huh.” Sachiko pulled out a notepad, and began to write it down, only taking his hand after having finished her notes. She stowed it back away into her black bag of wonders.

“And of course I’m only decent. If I had any actual skill as a ninja, I’d never be able to live my nindo, my ninja way. At least I can support my teammates as I be the worst ninja I can be...."

Alright, second point, say Waka gets impaled in the liver, he’s going to mouth off to SOMEONE someday, what would you do to help in the field? I also take it if it’s not lethal and I just disarmed myself, I’d be dead in that little practice set, then?”

Kurio frowned, passing her kunai back. “Your-” He paused, recalling their talk while running through the mines. There was purposefully hampering yourself, then there was putting your teammates’ lives at risk. But he shook his head, now probably wasn’t a good time to broach that subject. “Nevermind. As for Waka…?”

Humming, he tapped his chin with his free hand. “You’d want to control bleeding. Keep whatever impaled him in place if you can. If you can’t… Pack the wound and keep pressure on it. About all you can do in that scenario.” A shrug, “You did disarm yourself, but the whoever you stabbed would probably pause a moment.” Kurio’s usual smile grew somewhat more catty, “and I would assume you carry more than a single kunai.”

“I carry eleven. Most people carry ten. One day it’ll screw with people. One day… Also a few bo shurikens, but I prefer not to use’em. They’re a bit heavy….”
Sachiko rubbed her chin. Keeping it in was about all she could do. She didn’t have miracle ninjutsu that would help too much anyways, and getting teammates to more qualified individuals was the best she could do on the defensive end. Pressure the bleeding to stop it. Use bandages. Don’t let them be stupid enough to remove it.

She half-smiled. Maybe it’d be her? Nah… Sachiko was in truth far too arrogant to take that line of thought. Always a trick up her sleeve.

“Okay. Now, if you were to pick somewhere a bit more lethal… where would you slice?”

“The neck is the most obvious,”
he said simply. “Several vital areas, and barring the use of armor, all of them vulnerable.” Kurio reached forward, dotting the places with paint if she let the kunai touch. “Cutting the major vein or artery here or here would cause massive bleeding. Catch the windpipe and there’s risk of suffocation. If you were really strong - or lucky - a blade in the spinal cord would be immediately crippling if not outright lethal.”

He stepped back, “There are other kinds of injuries you could cause, but those are the most immediately lethal.”

Sachiko’s eyes shined at the word ‘lucky’, but she quickly cleared her throat. She let the paint scrape against her skin, nodding approvingly.

“Alright… alright. Well, show me how it’s done Mr. Sensei! Round 2?”

She picked up her kunai and got ready for another round. She clumsily stumbled a bit, flailing her arms in a series of loops to catch herself, but there wasn’t anything under her feet. In fact, the area she stood in was pretty clear of debris.

Kurio nodded, shifting back into a fighting stance. He kept the weapon in a forward grip, watching her arms flail wildly. After a moment he sprang forward ahead, trying to swat her arm aside and catch her armpit with the blade.

Sachiko smirked, her flailing arm coming down just as the flailing arm came down in an exact X against the incoming blade. “Whoa!” She seemed to regain her balance, pushing back against the blade, and throwing her empty palm against the opposite edge to give it some more ‘oompf’.

The blades connected with a clang, Kurio’s eyes narrowing at the display. To Sachiko’s surprise, she was able to repel his blade easily enough. He still tried to fight back for a moment before sidestepping, trying to make her stumble forward toward a blade aimed at the center of her abdomen.

Sachiko’s smile grew, as Kurio’s blade was repelled, a bit of chakra in the handle let her switch to the grip to reverse to slash better, only for his side step to send her sprawling for real.

Crapbaskets, he’s faster than me!

She tried a swipe, but stopped as she saw paint already on her stomach.

“Ugh… fiiiiine. Alright, how am I dead here?”

“Immediately? Not very,”
Kurio relaxed his stance, failing to stop his surprise from creeping into his features. He hasn’t expected that to actually work given the dodges and parries coming from Sachiko so far. He also hadn’t expected her to be so much stronger than him. Probably because he was smaller than her. Yeah… that’s it. “A punctured diaphragm makes it incredibly hard to breathe. If your opponent can’t breathe right, they won’t have much fight left in them.”

“N’aw, leaving me breathless?.” Sachiko snickered behind a palm, before pulling out a diagram, and beginning to take notes again, running her pencil over the pain on her stomach, then over the notepad. “Alright, think I’ve got a few good tips on saving people, and, well, not saving them. That’d be more a lucky thing of knowing if fates want the guy dead or not, but hey, knowing’s half the battle. Anything you want from me? I make a good practice dummy! And I got a good eye. Two of’em! Partly cause I invented a dojutsu, partly cause I like to see what’s going on.”

“Literally.” Kurio called back as he walked back to the boulder he’d been perched on. Rustling through a bag that had been lying next to it, he retrieved a pair of water bottles and tossed one to Sachiko once she was looking. “You’ll want to stock up on at least some first aid supplies. Everyone should, honestly.” It might’ve been impossible to have a full-fledged medic on every team, but having at least one with first aid knowledge could be the difference between life and death on a mission.

“Really? You made a doujutsu? That’s impressive!”
He flashed a smile before setting his water bottle on top of the boulder. Kurio hummed in thought at her offer, tapping his chin. “I don’t know… Uh, got any advice for throwing these?” He pulled out a senbon, “I’ve never really been great with shurikenjutsu.”

Sachiko flashed a grin, with a ‘shh’ motion with her finger at the impressive comment. It didn’t match her tone. “Careful. Last time Wakanaka tried to compliment me, I nearly let a demon rampage across the village. Do it again and we’ll test how impressive that medical jutsu of yours is.” She immediately took out the senbon, and spun it between her fingers.

Kurio held up his hands in surrender, “I wouldn’t breathe a word of it. But noted nonetheless…”

“Senbon have always been… a bit too light for me. They’re all about accuracy. When you pick a shurikenjutsu you have to pick something that reflects your style. Senbon are light, and don’t do much damage, but sometimes that’s what you want. Say you want to surprise someone with a poison payload, you don’t want them knowing immediately they’d been hit. Or maybe you need to hit a nerve deep within the body. I ain’t good at knowing’em, but you could go straight-”

Sachiko threw the senbon, passing through a knot in a tree, dead center of where two pieces of wood met, piercing deep in it. “-to the target without tearing through harder muscles or cartilage, or bone. Now, there are various types of shuriken you could use.”

Sachiko immediately whipped out both of her satchels, one black, one brown, and began shuffling through them, laying out tools on the ground.

11 Kunai
10 bo-shuriken
3 oddly colored bo shurikens
3 explosive tags
3 smoke bombs
1 bag of caltrops
1 spool of wire
1 contact lens case
And 1 book titled ‘Sleigh your enemies: Christmas Puns’

“There are 2 basic types of shurikens. Bo, and Hiro. Hiro shurikens are ninja stars, and I’m not honestly a fan. They don’t do a ton of damage, and they waste a lot of their force spinning. That spinning makes them accurate, gyroscopic effect, so they are great for beginners and those who don’t have a lot of time to dedicate to the craft. They are hard to stop unless they hit something.

Now, Bo-shurikens are my specialty. They specialize in piercing due to their shape. A lot of ninja prefer kunai for this, it’s honestly kinda a waste. Kunai are so versatile if you throw them all away you’re wasting their potential. They’re heavy, so it’s easy to add a payload to them, and that’s a good use.

Senbon are a type of bo-shuriken, but they are so light their entire thing of piercing isn’t too powerful. Now, these rails, heaven forbid I can get away with throwing them without people knowing it's me, are wonderful! Hehehe. Heavy, piercing, and deal lots of damage. So, pick a type of and show me how you throw them.”

Kurio nodded as she spoke, looking over the various tools Sachiko had laid out. He tentatively attempted to pick up one of the oddly colored shuriken but quickly abandoned the endeavor. He could probably carry one, but no way in hell would he be able to actually throw it. One of those to the back of the neck would be devastating. Or lucky…

“I went with senbon over hiro shuriken for a lot of the reasons you listed, among others.”
The small, nimble weapon could easily disable a joint. He was just lacking in the strength and accuracy to do so from a distance. Kurio looked at the senbon she had effortlessly embedded in the tree for a moment before throwing a pair of his own to match, one after the other. An attempt to make a vertical line with them.

Only the first was off-center, barely biting into the wood. The second bounced off altogether. A half-hearted shrug. “That’s… about how it goes.”

Sachiko’s smile seemed to almost become gentler for half a second as she looked at Kurio. She took another senbon out of his bag and folded his fingers around it.

“You don’t get better by doing the things you can’t do. If you can’t throw two. Don’t. You get better by doing what you can do. Again. And again and again. Same motion. Every day. Just a little bit better.”

She picked up 5 Bo-shurikens from the ground, four in her left hand, one in her right, her right hand tilted downwards as if it was hard to hold.

“Just pick something you CAN do, and it doesn’t matter if you can’t… say can’t do some jutsu like everyone else….”

A ‘thud’ as she hit straight down the middle of the tree. (1)

“Are different from the rest of your clan.”

Another landed exactly 20 cm above the first. (2)

“Don’t feel like you can rely on anyone else.”

Thud. (3)

“Don’t feel any stronger than yesterday.”

Thud. (4)

“Or have an impossible goal. Just one motion practiced again… and again. And eventually you’ll be decent at it.”

As she threw the fifth, a large ‘bang’ resounded, and the wood down the tree split perfectly down the middle, the small tree falling in two halves from the crack. Sachiko’s lips curled as she stared at the tree, her face becoming unreadable.

“So yeah. You can’t throw two senbon worth salt. So don’t. Just do one til ya get the hang of it! That first one landed decently. That’s all ya need, ain’t it? Anyways, I just needed a few notes on medical stuff. I probably won’t ever be able to do medical jutsu, but every bit helps!”

Kurio watched her throw the shuriken in steady succession, each striking with pinpoint accuracy. The Shimizu worked to keep his expression carefully neutral, lest it be taken as another compliment on her hidden skill. Even as the tree split in half with a resounding crack.

He wished he could help or offer her advice in some way. Whether about dealing with her clan or how to better support her teammates without standing out. But no matter how much he tried, the words failed to form. Their situation and goals were just so wildly different from each other.

Sachiko was the heir to one of the great clans, Kurio was so far down the line of succession it’d never fall to him. She didn’t have access to her clan’s power, he did. She wanted to be so mediocre she never stood out to anyone, he wanted to be the most powerful in the village.

“Yeah,” Kurio turned to her with a genuine smile, “glad I could help. If you have any other questions down the road, I’d be happy to help. Honestly, all shinobi should have a basic level of medical knowledge.”

“I know, right!?” She said with a smile, letting it linger before beginning to pick up her tools, humming gently to herself. She then paused. "Feel like I'm late for something..." She hummed as she stroked her chin. Her eyes then went wide... "Oh... Miho Sensei... heh...hehehe... I'm dead."

The Cards Dealt

Two scorpions climbed into the windows of both Shioreta and Tsubame. Large as a dog they'd look menacing, until they merely stabbed the ground, summoning a scroll for both of them, and then scutting back out the window. Wherever they stepped, a footstep was left behind that glowed... a little green. Both could be seen walking towards the center of the village afterwards, without fear of the radiation they were taking. Kanji could be seen on their back, their names apparently: Momo, and Haru.

The scroll was sealed with the Tsumikage's seal, but open opening, a new handwriting appeared, a clients.

Mission: Escorting a Noble
Description: I require assistance in being transported from Gunshugakure to Arashigakure. It's incredibly drab, but I have some overseeing to do for the chunnin exams. I doubt it'll be eventful as I'm headed there several months early, suppose I'll be a tourist or something. Send me some genin, I don't expect it to be a big deal, and young people are always so entertaining. ~ A Noble.

-Meet at Gunshugakure, The Village of Crowds, 9:30, West Gate a week from now. Participants: Shioreta Koino, puppeteer genin, Tsubame Mochizuki, Bone Release genin

Pictures of both were attached, as well as the client, one Kojiro Saemonsaburou. The picture attached had a man with long hair and veil over it, nobles clothing, an arrogant smile. He'd.. signed it.

There was little more attached. It was a legitimate mission. Given to both without their senseis coming along. Or instructing them... or on advice. It was completely expected they would manage on their own.

A gatekeeper would check both their scrolls, eyeing them suspiciously.

"Two genin, allowed out the village?" He double and triple checked the seal against a copy he had on hand on the desk.

"It's authentic and... good to go. Have fun." He'd stamp it, and let them through, though whether this incident happened once or twice depended on if they left together beforehand, or met up at Gunshukagure

1598416517821.png

A mountain journey, which would be far easier than going through Inoichigakure, the Life Village that despised Tsumi nin, would lead them towards a large sprawling metropolis, visible just as they made their way over the mountain, a lonely wilderness opening up to a land of skyscrapers and people flooding every street, so packed once could make out the busy streets from miles away. The glass of the buildings glistened against the sunlight, and the shadows cast by the tall buildings left a visible shade over one side of the city, busy streets leading to massive tunnels that served as the village gates. Finding anyone in such a place would be a hassle...

Last edited:
xwVPfG9.png
Shioreta Koino

A soft sigh escaped Shioreta's lips having finally found her way to the village. The mountain track was... not the most pleasant thing for her. A frail girl like herself with trouble breathing was destined to have some troubles along the way requiring the use of her inhaler to help her out a bit. At the very least she was spared from climbing up to the top of a mountain as she had to in a mission that now felt so long ago. Arriving alive at the village in the end was a plus, another escape from death... or something of that nature. It almost felt a bit old thinking about how many times she seemed to cheat death after the whole prison incident. It made other things she might normally quip about in her own head see quite trivial to her now.

The bright haired genin glanced about looking for a sign of the supposed noble. Her light brown pack resting around her shoulders as her long ponytail partially obscured it. It was clearly rather lightly provisioned preparing just enough to make it there and carry all her essential supplies. The scrolls she carried made it far easier for her to pack things away perhaps to the extent of near abuse of the technique in storing goods. She really needed to work on utilizing them on her puppets more... if it wasn't her obsessive need to tinker and create new gadgets and gizmos for them didn't get in the way of it first. She sported a rather nice new long sleeve shirt having dressed to look a little more nice. It wasn't anything extravagant being a simple shirt but she figured a noble was going to be rather picky in tastes so trying to look somewhat presentable and changing into some extra clear attire after a walk through the mountains would help out a bit.

Shioreta turned her head to look towards Tsubame. The girl had been rather... quiet. It was a bit strange traveling along feeling as if she was the one to instigate conversations for once. She had been too use to Sachiko and her more boisterous nature. It was much easier when she had someone else to go off of and play second fiddle to. Shioreta could admit she could be a little... weird when it came to social interactions without another to help lead the direction of the conversation. It felt a little weird to 'fake' it as well with a complete stranger who she hasn't really gotten to know well enough to properly gauge how to speak with them. She only had to go off what little she could researching up the girl's clan before she left. Not exactly the most solid info to go off of when working with someone new. It was pretty much just assumptions she had about her to work off of.

"Meet at Gunshugakure, The Village of Crowds, 9:30, West Gate. We have his image to work off of, though its possible he might show up in different garments. Just look around for someone sharply dressed with long hair prioritizing the outfit he had in the photo. Given the note... he will either attempt to look annoyed or what I suspect more is he will probably come off excited... though more likely containing it behind a smile to be more becoming of his stature." She spoke with a smile giving Tsubame a little thumbs up trying to be a bit more upbeat. Perhaps the thumbs up a was a bit too much but it wasn't like she could take it back.

Mentioned: Ganryu Ganryu S n o w S n o w

Tsubame MochizukiTsubame felt like she'd only just begun to feel like a member of Team Ichiro, and now she had to start all over again with a stranger. Shioreta Kino. The most she knew about the other genin was that her family weren't shinobi (a bad habit, and she should've learned by now not to judge her fellow genin by where they came from-) and that her stamina was low. Traveling through the mountains had been rough, if only because of the unstable terrain and the climb, but not because it was physically difficult. They were so different from each, but similar at the same time. Tsubame never thought the silence between two people could feel so awkward. But she didn't have anything to say.

Gunshugakure was somehow more busy than she'd thought a village named 'crowds' would be. She couldn't decide if it was better or worse than living in her clan's compound. Tomoko hadn't spoken to her since Ichiro-sensei's visit, and her mother had all but hassled the elders into banning him from visiting. Before it would've bothered her, but it didn't anymore.

She tilted her head Shioreta's way when she spoke. It sounded easy enough to look for their client, but she was firmly against braving the crowd to do so. "We should move to higher ground. We'll have a better view, and if we don't see him, he'll see us." She pointed at a building, or more specifically a side of one they could stick to.

The Cards Dealt

Hanarei Hanarei S n o w S n o w

The city only seemed to get more busy as they walked into it. Crowds bumped into them, and several people jeered, before panicking as they looked at the sun, and ran off.

Suitcases seemeed to be a fashion in and of itself. Everyone had one. A few people in masks and fancy masks were the strangest part in the crowd, but the speeds they moved, they too faded in and out.

As they climbed the building, they'd see more of these mask people, some keeping tabs on them. It'd be far easier on Tsubame with Tree Climbing Technique than Shioreta taking the stairs, or however she climbed it.

Looking down at the crowds below, their suddenly seemed to be less of the masked men. All the ones they kept bumping into were the same people, over and over again. They acted much like the ANBU of Tsumigakure, keeping tabs on foriegners without a word.

As they made their way to the roof, they'd find a man leading over the edge, staring down below. He fit the profile picture to a T, including the incredibly smug smile.

"My, my, and here I was just about thinking maybe I should go reach my escorts. That, or two random Tsumi nin show up after I hired two random Tsumi nin. But what are the odds. I have a carriage down below. I'm ready to go if you are."

He looked at the two, then at Shio, then sighed.

"But we could wait, til, say, someone were to catch their breath. Two little girls sent to protect me. It's somehow scarier knowing you two could kill so easily."

He pulled out a stack of cards, and began to shuffle them between two sleeves.

"I am the glamorous Kojiro Saemonsaburou. You may call me Master Saemonsaburou though. Or non verbal grunts as so many ninja do. I have a very important job at the upcoming chunnin exams. So important, I might be attacked if anyone figured I was leaving. Which is why I'm doing it a few months early. Nobody expects the noble expidition... a few months early. And seeing as nobody knows I'm leaving, it should be some regular boring travels. Your Tsumikage agreed as much. While we're waiting for some to recover your breath, introduce yourselves. I'm sure I won't care, but it's a way to pass the time."

He sighed as a breeze stopped his card shuffling, the rising sun reflecting off the glass buildings and making the entire rooftops shimmer with a brilliant light. Motioning for them to go, they'd find a carriage already prepared below, with a carriage driver nodding as they approached.

"Mi'lord. And welcome hands."

Kojiro smirked as he opened the carriage... and it was a single roomed one.

"Oh my, it looks like you'll have to keep pace. Its alright. We're only going into a different set of mountains. The really really dark ones with lighting every five seconds on an iron ore that makes compasses useless. Let's try not to get lost, shall we?"

xwVPfG9.png
Shioreta Koino

Shioreta had nodded in agreement to Tsubame. It wasn't quite that she was in full agreement though, climbing up a building seemed to be about the most obvious thing you could do to point out the fact you were a shinobi if their outfit didn't already do wonders for that already. The prying eyes she could already feel on her making her feel a bit uneasy. While it was likely it was more for simple observation rather then out of malicious intent, it didn't discount the fact someone out there could easily catch onto them who might seek to cause them to fall or potentially their client. Then again... it could just be her overthinking things.

Finding their client Shio leaned over to catch her breath a bit worn out from the hustling around they had done to try and find him. It felt as if he was making himself more difficult to find on purpose. The fact he wasn't wearing something else to throw them off surprised her... though his smug grin only reminded her of her first impression of him that much more. He was likely far too full of himself to ever dare to do such a thing. That or at the very least he put on the play he was that way.

She couldn't help but observe him handling his cards noticing the degree of finesse he had. Given the lifestyle of what one might expect of a noble it wasn't a skill you would normally see. It wasn't impossible he learned such slight of hand as a hobby though she couldn't help but suspect he was far more capable of holding his own then he let on. His words only making her question him that much more. It seemed far too unlikely some random noble would hold that much significance for the Chuunin exam. Nobles were known to otentially observe portions of the exam as far as she knew but unless it was a way to boost his ego was it really deemed that important?

Her hand slipped through her sleeve grabbing hold of a kunai. The small girl following by him suddenly swung her arm out the kunai extending out as if about to strike him aiming towards his chest sure to reach his eyes. Before such contact could be made she spun the weapon around offering it holding the bladed part with the handle protruding out before him. A bright smile was on her lips looking at him observing his reaction carefully.

"I am Shioreta Koino, it is nice to meet you Master Saemonsaburou. I know its not much and it might not be something your use to, but have this just in case. I'm not sure if one of us can fit in so its good if you have a weapon just in case being as little as I am. I'm sure we won't fail you but if this helps you reassure you I'd be happy." She repeated quite clearly from memory his name missing a beat keeping the weapon extended out as they headed down. A bit of a lie on her part given her main purpose was to judge just how capable the man was and to see if she could see him react defensively or if he was just some average chum noble he wouldn't of even recognized the possible danger. Naturally a cute smile on her part would sell it!

Tsubame MochizukiKojiro Saemonsaburou. Familiar with shinobi. Has a high opinion of himself. An important figure to the exams, but escorted by genin, which meant he was probably exaggerating the truth. It was Tsubame's first impression of their client, but she didn't let her thoughts show. She merely bowed. "I'm Tsubame Mochizuki. I hope our journey goes smoothly," she said. He also seemed to be... a magician of some kind? Still, regardless of self-praise, he had more experience with the exams than she did. He might be a good source of information if she played into his arrogance. ...Or he'd just tell her if she asked, no strings attached, no overthinking involved.

Tsubame saw Shioreta's kunai out of the corner of her eye and reached out to grab her wrist instinctively, stopping herself when she saw that it was just a joke? A test? It made her sigh. Neither of her teammates would act like this. Well, she hoped Okimi wouldn't. She bowed again, because it was only right. "I'm sorry about Shioreta's forwardness, Master Saemonsaburou. Please forgive her."

She waited until he'd climbed in before looking at Shioreta. "Please don't do that again. But, well," she hesitated. "Will you be okay with the climb?" She was trying to make up for not considering Shioreta's stamina when they climbed.

The Cards Dealt

The nobleman's eyes widened at the kunai, and he seemed to loose concentration on his shuffling between his hands, suddenly playing 52 card pick up whether he wanted to, or not. Or... 153 card pickup... the deck was a fair bit larger.

The shocked expression was suddenly replaced by a loud laughter as Shioreta offered him her kunai, brushing it away.

"No, no, far too dirty a thing for me to handle. You ninja have blood on your hands, I prefer to be prompt, and white. Hehehe. Hmm.... "

He picked up two cards from the bottom of his carriage, fanning the two out with his fingers.

"Shioreta Koino, and Tsubame Mochizuki, eh? ... 1...4... 5... 9... 4... Interesting."

Ahead of him, the coachman sighed.

"Master Saemonsaburou, if you keep playing with your cards, we might be late. Perhaps one should put them away, ad we can be on our way?"

"Now, now, Tenzo, you're the servant, and I the master. I'll put away the cars when I feel like it."

He did begin to pick the rest off the floor, and the cart began to move, the coachman cursing under his breath, with Kojiro making a 'hmm?' sound, reprimanding him with a hum.

As they went, the nobleman seemed to turn his attention more and more to Tsubame. "I seem to remember hearing the Mochizuki name somewhere. I can't remember where, but with a Tsumi headband, I'm guessing Tsumi? What is it your clan does a gain? Werewolf clan or someting? Oooh, tell me it's to do with water release." (Making fun of her name meaning 'moon' )

Already the cart was going back up hill, straight through the mountains Tsubame and Shioreta had come from, only with a slight turn... into more more mountains.

However, the scenery began to change, with the clouds growing pitch black in the distance, and lighting sounding. The air became humid, and the pressure was so low it felt like their heads were swimming. Everyone's hair stood one end, a few strands of the girls hair even picking up due to the environment.

"My, my, I forgot how much my hairdresser and I hated Arashigakure. I suppose I must get used to it." Even the pristine noble's hair began to escape his veil, frizzled and on end. " You two ever been before? Its a strange place. Then again, you ninja folk are all strange. And I mean it in the kindest way, radioactive wasteland dwellers."

Shioreta would notice in the distance a shadow flicker being the mass of rocks in the distance. The shadow was far away, but seemed to be about her size. They had company it seemed like. Not that Master Saemonsaburou seemed to notice.

"Jingakure gets soot all over my fine robes, as coalmine villages do.
Sangogakure ruins them with saltwater and foam. Who drowns a village?
Inoichigakure has too many insects, village of life just means village of pests.
Tsumigakure makes me violently ill,
I hate pets and heights so I adamantly refuse to visit Hanegakure,
Nendogakure smells like turtle, then I found out my noise was right and it WAS on the back of a giant tortoise. Also, logistics of getting a ninja to carry a cart and a horse, but they obliged... eventually.
And Gunshugakure, the crowd village, which I just think is a myth. I've lived there my entire life, I have yet to see any ninjas."

He continued to go on and on, despite more shadows getting closer, and closing in.

Wakanaka Tsube Okimi Bajirisuku Kurio Shimizu
A Chilling Hunt

Today in Tsumigakure a certain young man, whom was named Wakanaka, stood in front of a certain mission board with the specific intent of getting into a not so certain mission. While it may be said he should think hard on what to look at, examine each and every single one of its facets and wordy descriptions to ascertain if the mission would in fact be in his range, he had a different act in mind.

You see, he was not with his team, he was far from them to be certain, he wished to grow and not be accosted by the sheer wall of inner anger, pranks, sass, and general vapid miasma that spew out of Shio’s mouth; that he had to face to get anywhere with them.

No, this time he would recruit outside help… But what mission that would be up to fate… For before he began this train of thought he had gotten a fortune, one stating he should follow fate and let his heart guide him. So… He figured he may as well gamble in the best manner he could.

So there he stood, in front of the board with many jobs stapled upon it. He rose his finger and began to close his eyes… “...miney…-tiger… -toe… -let him go…” and with the greatest vector of his choice used he stopped at a mission… A curious one at that, he would certainly need to get new compatriots for it.

Snatching up the piece of paper before some oddly dressed and heavily armored fellows could, he quickly began to walk a few steps away, examining the piece of paper in full.

Huh, it was from the lightning village.

“Hey temple boy! What’re ya’ doing with that?”

While Waka was examining his quest, another young ninja was approaching him. She had a smirk on her face, like she was up to no good.

Once close to him, Okimi snatched the paper from his hands. “Oh? An akuma? You want to hunt it with me?” Okimi asked, barely holding back a giggle. “Maybe we should bring Kurio for something like this…” she muttered to herself, recalling her last encounter with an Akuma.

“AH!?” his focus was disrupted, “Who… Okimi…?” he rose an eyebrow and shook his head. “I think it’s YOU who should be asking ME that question, and I have a name, Lizard keeper.” He snapped the piece of paper back into his hands with a swipe. “I figured it would be a good test of skill, my teammates would make a foul addition to this request, so I WAS looking for outside help…” his nose was high with indignation. “If you want to come with me, that would be fine… So long as you do not attempt to steal my lunch once more.”

“Fine with me! Now we got to go grab my friend Kurio though, he is a healer. He’ll fix you when you get your skull caved in,” Okimi explained with a smile.

“And you shall see us triumphant and with nary a scratch.” Wakanaka countered, almost smiling… Okay, he was. “...Where is he anyways?” he asks as they walk forwards.

The two would eventually find Kurio perched on a boulder in one of the training fields. He stared intently at a walnut pressed between his palms. Shards of walnut shells could be seen scattered all around him, a few bits even in his hair. A black cat lounged on a nearby boulder, seemingly enjoying the sun for the time being. Kurio hadn’t yet noticed their approach.

“KURIOOOOOO!!!” Okimi called out loudly as soon as she spotted him. “What the hell are you doing with all these… walnuts?” Okimi was pretty confused as she realized just how many walnut shells were surrounding Kurio.

Kurio jumped, looking up at the approaching duo. “Okimi? What are you- Uwah!” The walnut pressed between his palms shattered in a burst of chakra, adding to the growing pile of shards. He sighed, looking over the mess, “Training from sensei. I’m supposed to crush the nut inside using only my chakra, but I can’t damage the shell in the process.” Kurio brushed the bits of shell from his hair, “It hasn’t been going well.” Looking back at the pair, his usual smile returned. “What brings you here?”

Wakanaka was intrigued, he knew there were some interesting folks in his generation but…Cracking walnuts with chakra? Guess it solves fetching a nutcracker. Perhaps he should try it with a meteor hammer? Or… would he just end up shooting walnuts in random directions…? Ah well, either way he seems interesting.

“A mission, if you want it. Wakanaka, by the way.” he bowed shortly towards the fellow who caught his curiosity. “I was at the mission boards earlier and Okimi caught me picking off one for an Akuma slaying venture. She mentioned you first and foremost, guess you are a popular one hmm?” he smirked, trying to be a bit playful.

Also because he wants to make SOME gods damn friends his age.

“An Akuma again?” Despite his serene expression having returned, Kurio still quirked an eyebrow over to Okimi for a brief moment. It’d be a dangerous mission no doubt, but it was another chance to feel the rush that came with combat. “I’m a medic-nin, likely why she thought to ask me.” He shrugged, sliding down from the boulder he’d been perched on. “Even a Minor Akuma is a dangerous opponent.” He returned the bow, “Kurio Shimizu, at your service.”

“Sweet! We’re ready to kick some Akuma ass then! What kind of monster we hunting then? Does the paper say?” Okimi asked.

“One that is capable of producing frost in its step, mid summer.” Wakanaka stated as he withdrew the listing. “We should speak with the one listing the hunt first, a ranger named Aito Ukita, of Arashigakure.” Waka listed off the names.

“The village of lightning, it’ll be a trip, so best we gather gear while we can.”

-------------------------

The journey to the outskirts of the Land of Lightning was mostly uneventful. The valley that Tsumigakure was in began to rise up, a visible veil of miasma beginning to clear to clean air, to a lively forest that contained Inoichigakure… somewhere inside. The destination was, however south, and away from the dangerous woods, blacky stony spires and a perpetual lightning storm made it even darker.

While no rain fell, the humidity and pressure would make everyone’s hair stand on end. It was between two of such mountains, a small little cabin could be found, with a peppy ranger between the two.

“Yooohoo!” Waived the woman, who looked straight out of a fantasy novel, one Kurio might appreciate, a hooded cloak over body, with a mask ontop of it. It was an edgy look that didn’t fit her bubbly ascetics.

“So, I’m Aito Ukita, ranger of Arashigakure. Proud one too! Granted, us rangers are kiiiinda jonin who got kicked out and aren’t allowed back in cause we wander the lands to make them safe, and that makes us vulnerable for secrets… but meh. I understand ya’ll are gunna hunt an Akuma for me! Such sweet kids. Man, I love Tsumi. Lungs don’t, but hey, I don’t visit often.

So… let grab my tools, and we can be off.”

She walked inside the small cabin, and walked out with 6 massive blades, each as big as she was, chained at the handle together. She hung them from her back as if it was a normal decoration, before signalling they should go.

They began to walk towards a mountain in the distance, the temperature dropping as they walked.

“You guys brought jackets… right?”

At first Waka was unsure of this person, being open about their situation was odd enough… But upon seeing her weapons and how honestly wicked they were, he kind of fell into that strange state where young men think somebody THAT cool had to be trustworthy and awesome.

So yea, he was sold this mission was going to be great.

Though on the topic of coats, he didn’t really have one, he did buy a bunch of those neat little packets that heat up, he could probably slip them into his clothes and warm up pretty nicely.

Though he’d imagine Sachiko would say “You have a dragon! Have it breathe fire on you!” or something like that…

“I’m ready… Umm… If I may… How do you… use those weapons..?” he asked the woman, trying to hide his obvious complete interest.

Okimi was a little suspicious of Aito, ever since her last hunt out here. Having spent the night at her cabin before didn’t help at all. What kind of village let their secrets walk around a forest all by themselves? Were they being watched constantly? Maybe they planned to kill her soon. Or maybe… they couldn’t kill her?

Okimi rubbed her hand through her hair. It didn’t matter. She had an akuma to blow up. At some point during the journey she had summoned Feurey. The little dragon climbed onto Okimi’s back at the mention of staying warm. Feurey had a pretty high body temp so keeping him close would always keep one warm.

Kurio found himself hesitating slightly as Aito came into view. Spending the night at her cabin following the previous mission in the Land of Lightning had been . . . interesting. Despite tending to his teammates’ injuries and nursing his own broken ribs, he almost felt bad for Ichiro as the ranger flirted almost constantly with him. Kurio couldn’t help but wonder if it was an act, genuine interest, or desperation for company that led to it.

Shaking himself back to the present, the Shimizu gave a quick bow to the jounin. Despite her oddities, he was glad to know she was joining them on this mission. Kurio had been more than a little hesitant on heading out without Ichiro or some other Tsumi jounin accompanying them into battle. Sure, he and his teammates had handled the last akuma themselves, but that didn’t mean things would go as smoothly this time around.

He shrugged off his pack for a moment as the temperature began to drop, pulling on a heavier coat. Kurio had debated bringing it since it meant more to carry, but if it left frost that persisted even in the summer heat… Wonder if I’ll need to tend to any frostbite after this.

Aito giggled as Waka asked the question of how she used her weapons. She smiled, and bent down flirtily to be face to face with him.

“Aw… you’re interested in me? Well, I would be too.”

A small part of Waka wanted to say yes, or something suave, he settled for blushing furiously.

She put her finger innocently on her chin, then motioned for everyone to back up. With a few handsigns, a small hiss of air could be heard, before the giant blades on her back suddenly changed orientation with a ‘shhhhing’, the blade alignment going from parallel with her back to perpendicular instead. Aito crossed her hands, and seemed to step forward, suddenly floating as the blades floated an inch from off her back. Then she spread her arms, the blades blossoming like a set of wings on her back.

“Kinda like this. I like to call it angelic hunter style. And it's my style so not really a village secret. Meh, you kids are cute enough anyways, what does it matter? I actually suck at taijutsu, but with enough creativity, any tool is a deadly ninja. Oh, and they don’t just make me look good.”

Aito motioned her right hand forward, and the three blades on that side of her instantly swooped in, slicing infront of her. The same with the second motion of her hand, them following along in the air easily.

She then crossed her arms again, the blades folding back on her back, as she stepped back on the ground as a mere mortal once more.

“Let’s go hunt us an Akuma!” she yelled with a whoop and a smile.

---------------------------------------------------------

As the group made their way following the tracks, it seemed to get colder and and colder. A few tracks to the perceptive could be seen. They were rather small for an akuma… at least compared to the bear, but were so splintered by ice it was hard to make them out.

A thin mist began to settle over them, and it began to snow on the mountain side around them. A cave in the distance seemed to breathe cold, vapors of mist coming out at regular intervals from it. Then a boom shook the area, rocks from the cave falling. A moment later, a cloaked figure could be seen running out of the cave at rather high speeds.

The way he ran wasn’t regular to a ninja, he looked more like... an idiot as his hands came up to his chest and he ran with high knees.

“Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap! Running, running running!”

He stopped infront of the ground, resting his hands on his knees as he panted. On the back of his cloak a single symbol reading ‘bishamonten’ read.

“Oh goodie! Tsumi nin! I don’t have to clean up my messes afterall! Did you know when you combine a jinchuuriki and an akuma… bad things happen? Cause I sure didn’t.”

What in hell was Wakanaka looking at? It happened so quickly his brain was still trying to process it. He had his mind filled with fantasies of…. THE AKUMA and it sort of caught him off guard to tell the truth.

"...I'm sorry what?" He asked, still unsure of what he had just heard.

“Stop talking nonsense and tell us what we’re dealing with,” Okimi commanded before continuing. “And why the hell are you even out here?” Although what the man said was a little alarming, she didn’t feel like psyching herself out before the battle.

Kurio raised an eyebrow at the cloaked figure that nearly collapsed in front of them. Bishamonten . . . he could’ve sworn he’d heard that name muttered once or twice among the clan members back home. Though they were always quick to drop their conversation the moment they noticed he’d drawn near. Which never took long. Stealth had never been the genin’s forte.

Thoughts of Bishamonten were quickly pushed aside as the man mentioned a Jinchuuriki and an Akuma. It was almost impressive, how pale his already light skin could become as a cold chill swept through his spine. Two thoughts immediately began to wage war in his mind. If that Jinchuuriki’s seal was broken, they could potentially have two full fledged akuma to deal with instead of the minor one they’d been sent to kill. They needed to retreat, immediately. But if the power the minor akuma he’d already fought was impressive . . . imagine the rush that could come from facing a full fledged one.

The man held his hands to his hips and laughed mightily. “But nonsense is all I spout! And I’m here because I’m lost!” He had way too much pride in that statement….

“Something about taking a water Jinchuuriki towards a wind akuma, then I got lost. Then I got eaten. I wrestled my way out. Jinchuuriki didn’t. But it became something awesome! Then it kicked my rear end, and I ran into you four while flee...-heroically seeking reinforcements?! Whoo! No paperwork!”

Suddenly 6 blades descended on the man with a loud crash, Aito’s hands braced forward, having fired her ‘wings’. As the dustcloud cleared, the man was trapped between them, the chain wrapped around various limbs, and the blades acting as stakes in the ground.

“Less whoo?” He said nonplussed. “This is kiiinda uncomfortable.”

Aito swore under her breath. “Berkshire hunt, whore of a… You three… I’m going to need an assessment of that Akuma while me and my new… friend have a little chat here.” She suddenly looked strained, sweating a bit. The man twitched against the restraints.

“You know the reason we keep calling you Tsumi nin to hunt these akuma? Their aura is pretty corrosive, but those little necklaces you wear protect ya pretty well. I don’t mind a sick time, but, well, I also don’t want to call for Arashi reinforcements, but go figure out if I have to! And whatever you do, don’t let it leave the cave!”

Out of the cave, another arctic wind blew.

Waka's eyes were starred with amazement with how cool the woman's weapons were, his hands up and clutched together like a young man catching his favorite super hero show.

"Yes! Of course!" He spoke loudly, all but looking giddy at the sight he just watched.

Nothing cooler than useing massive swords!

Bigger the sword, cooler it gets!

Sure he wasn't very mature about the topic but he can't be blamed for it surely!!!

" So cool…! I mean cold! Yes, very cold. We must remain vigilant! Against this cold… Yes.." he could barely hide his glances towards to swords.

“All that stuff sounds bad and all, but I don’t think we got time to waste getting distracted.” Okimi said as she unsummond Feurey. The little green dragon disappeared in a puff of smoke. She didn’t want to put him in danger against what was sounding like an extremely dangerous Akuma. Feurey had already been nearly useless against the last one.

Kurio’s smile twitched, “incredibly bad…” he quietly confirmed, watching as Aito struggled to pin the man down. If he could free himself from an Akuma, then he was definitely stronger than first impressions implied. The genin felt a presence shift and stir in the back of his mind, likely roused by the presence of one of its brethren so close by.

Not wanting to waste any more time, Kurio started towards the cave. He waited for the other two to catch up before speaking. “I don’t have much in the way of techniques to block a passage. Perhaps we could collapse the cave entrance once we retreat?” He glanced over at Waka, “I’m afraid I don’t know what kind of skill set you have, Wakanaka.”

“Put simply, I smack things. On good days, I try to tend to a garden. And during missions, I deal with idiot teammates who get me in trouble.” he whips out his meteor hammer. “I can conquer a large area with this, entrap and strike.

Simple, but effective.. In word alone, don’t try this weapon without expecting a bruise.”
Wakanaka was abit proud of his choice of weapon.

“If anything, I can keep it’s attention.”

A large ‘boom’ echoed in the distance, before cursing and the smashing of seal. Anyone who looked back would see the man mid punch, being blocked by a floating sword. Flying out of the snow cloud, a large blade smashed like a meteor a few feet infront of Waka. It was covered in seals.

“Use that if you think you have a shot at it. If you can’t, just collapse the entrance! -Shit!”

The punch won, and sent Aito flying back, five blades behind her, the chain broken between them, and the man in a cape making goofy kung fu noises and he made nonsensical movements with his hands.

“Guess that big sword lady ain’t as strong as she looks,” Okimi said to herself before turning back to the cave. “Anyway, let’s crush this Akuma!”

With that said Okimi started running straight towards the cave. Mid stride, she formed the tiger hand seal and created a small but bright flame in her hand to serve as a light source.

Kurio let out a sharp breath, whether at the sword landing or Okimi taking off it was hard to say. “Because you rushing in blindly went so well last time…” He’d spent hours tending to everyone’s injuries at Aito’s cabin while she seemed intent to dote on him and Ichiro. The Shimizu glanced at Waka, his calm smile remaining despite the faint edge to his voice. “Never underestimate an akuma, even a minor one. We’ll likely need to retreat as soon as we confirm how many are in there.” [/color]

“Having an even head with me is a breath of fresh air. I’ll keep that in mind, if these things are as tough as you say… We’re in for a fight…” he puts a hand on the giant blade and hefted it up. Very heavy, and was immense…

“I’ll go back up Okimi, keep an eye open.” he seemed to be smiling, happy to have competence around him as he went inside.

Kurio’s eyes narrowed as both teammates ran on inside. “For the love of…”

As the group ran in, the cold sat in, and ragged breathing filling the air. Hunched over like a feral beast, a woman could be seen inside, though she had several things off of her. White clothing covered most of her body, but her skin was pale with shades of blue across her body. Ice glaces over her eyes, and the way she stared at the group was unnatural. Her fingernails were encased as well in ice, appearing as claws. A shriek ran out across the cave, shaking it, and several ice stalactites started to fall behind the group, a few outer ones crashing at them. Frost began to cover the jackets of both Waka and Kurio.

“What the hell is wrong with her?” Okimi asked loudly. She barely noticed the ice stalactite dropping down next to her before it was too late. Okimi doved to the side, suffering nothing more than a few cuts from flying ice shards. Okimi rose to her feet and formed a few swift handsigns. A small orb of fire appeared in her hand. It was her Hellfire Bullet. Okimi launched the little ball forward, and it glided slowly towards the woman.

Okimi didn’t have a plan when using this jutsu on the woman. She just felt like she had to strike first, before the woman could perform an attack as terrifying as she looked.

“...So the akuma is… A Yukionna!?” Waka blurted out as he drew out the large blade, more or less going to attempt to block with the hefty iron slab of metal.

A large stalactite of ice would remind Waka of how heavy ice was, though he’d be able to shrug it off with the giant blade well enough. The snow woman in front of them didn’t seem to be in a mood to give a yes or now, merely howling and shrieking like a man woman. The ice glazed eyes revealed she was blind, and nothing human remained.

Waka talking drew her attention as chakra began to condense in front of her, white and glistening, at first it looked like snow, but the showball infront of her mouth it was forming didn’t look soft at all… it also looked sloppy and unstable, shaking and bubbling.

Running in after his teammates, Kurio froze in his tracks. Not from the cold, but from the scene playing out before him. “A . . . a human . . . ?” His heart pounded in his chest and thrummed in his ears as his mind started to race. Such a thing shouldn’t be possible. Humans can’t become minor akuma, it’s never--

His racing thoughts screeched to a halt as the blind akuma began gathering chakra. Kurio knew that technique, unstable as it might be. “Okimi! Wakanaka! Get the hell out of there! Now!” Panic clawed its way out of his throat, Kurio’s normally calm tone long gone.

Okimi was midway through a series of handsigns when she heard Kurio’s panicked cries. Normally, she would have just ignored him. He was just a healer after all. But she hadn't heard him like this before, and she hadn’t fought anything like this. Weren’t they supposed to be fighting an akuma? Akuma never looked like people, so this had to be something different.

Okimi gave up on the jutsu with an angry grunt, before turning and running back towards the outside of the cave. It might’ve been the first time Okimi ever thought to herself, ‘better safe than sorry’.

Waka guessed, by the nature of the headstrong girl following the retreat order, it was his turn to as well.

He hefted the blade up upon his shoulder and began run- whoops almost slipped, that would have been dangerous, he had to get used to the new weight with this weapon!

Man was it heavy.

And… kinda hitting stuff as he ran, icicles falling and rolling off the blade as he kept trying to find the best way to carry this metal behemoth.

"I expected something more manageable honestly! Guess that's my luck at work." He did remember the morning's luck fortune was "Great courage is oft mistakable for great foolishness." So maybe he bit off more than he could chew here…?

Nah, he could deal with this, he was a priest, this was an akuma, perhaps finding its weakness would be prudent.

The chakra infront of the woman continued to condense as the group ran. She opened up her mouth, and swallowed whole. Suddenly she ballooned, her body growing several sizes as ice spikes grew out her center, impaling various parts of her.

A roar deafened the area as they ran, and a beam of light with a scissor like pattern shot from the Yukionna Akuma. It was far more powerful than even the beast expected, as the knockback sent her head reeling in odd direction, the beam shooting at random direction in the general area of the group rather than at them. A few lines would cross dangerously close, before flying off hundreds of feet in the wrong direction.

Each place an ‘X’ of the beam hit, a large glacier of ice sprung into being. As it danced over the roof, a hailstorm began to fall all across the group.

The beam continued for about a minute before the akuma was left panting, a hole still in their body. Ice began to replace the missing rib and skin, the beast worn out for a moment.

Okimi didn’t even have time to voice her reaction to the giant icy beams blasting around the cavern as she ran. Unfortunately Okimi wasn’t very fast, so she found herself having to weave around in order to avoid all the falling ice.

Suddenly she thought she had finally found a clear path. Those hopes were quickly cut off when Okimi ran face first into a big chink of ice, no doubt leaving a bruise right on her forehead.

With a pained huff, Okimi quickly rolled back to her feet, turning to face the now bloated and disfigured woman.

“What the hell is wrong with this woman?” Okimi grumbled to herself, before fluttering through a quick series of handsigns. Okimi could tell that the attack was over, so she figured it was her turn to go on the offensive.

A fireball blasted from her hands towards the bloated woman. Whatever it would hit, it’d bounce off of, leaving a scorch mark in its wake no doubt.

Waka, for his part, took a dive to avoid the incoming wave of hellish ice coming their way. This meant the blade laid atop of his back much akin to a strange flat tortoise shell, absorbing the impact of walling icicles, but was quite still uncomfortable.

But beggars cannot be choosers, especially when the other option is being impaled.

Flipping to his side he pulled himself up, grasping the blade in hand again. He was hesitant to move forwards given the… state of the battlefield… And Okimi's flames… But the Akuma was staggered! He must strike!

He took his moment to rush after Okimi's flame, performing a leaping strike to attempt to cleave the woman down with the blade's full weight.

A sizzling sound followed Okimi’s fireball, steam generating around it as she fired, bouncing around the cave, melting holes in stalagmite after stalagmite, having several surfaces to choose form.

It warmed up the room as Waka charged, allowing him near the Yuki-onna, the paths burned by it warm enough for him to walk upon. Even still, he would find ice creeping up his jacket, veins down the sleeves, and frost covering his hair, whitening past even its normal as his hair was becoming as spiky as an anime protagonist.

The Yukionna gave a horrific hiss as Waka slashed, and batted away the sword with an arm.

The moment it touched, time seemed to stop for both Waka and the monster, Waka left midair in the strike, and the creature left frozen from the strike. Suddenly, the seals across the weapon began to spread out, forming a circle of ink in the middle of the air, swirling around in a sphere, still freezing both of them as seals worked.

Meanwhile, the fireball bounced off a stalactite, leaving out a deep gash in the crystalline structure, before flying straight at the Yukionna.

As the seals spread out, they enveloped her arm, before suddenly collapsing in a rapid implosion, a squelching heard as suddenly everything within the sphere radius was absorbed into it with a pop, literally ripping off the arm, and snow exploding from the wound in place of blood. The yukionna screamed, a shockwave travelling from her, and covering Waka in a thin sheet of ice which instantly shattered off of him, leaving very red skin behind. Behind her, the fireball froze in the air, being pushed back, and falling as a sheet of ice on the floor.

The woman panted, before leaping away. She held her hand over her shoulder, and began to slough it down, snow reforming into the shape of an arm, and beginning to take its color, before suddenly turning white again, and falling off in a simple mess. The arm was sealed and would not regenerate.

Above Kurio, cracking could be heard, before the hole from the fireball started to show spiderweb cracks which grew and grew, until it shattered. A massive glacial crash echoed as the structure collapsed, several shards of the ceiling falling with it, threatening to either impale or crush him, or both.

Wakanaka's whole body screamed, his face was raw and pained, his eyes dry, to call himself chilled wasn't right. The damn thing was looking to freeze him and his soul solid!

He was happy that his mouth was closed or else he worried he may have a dentist visit up coming…

But the sword's effects on this creature… It seemed to seal the arm that it touched. It couldn't regenerate, or even have it form when it was gone.

This was a great sign!

He had to hit her again, somewhere in the torso could work first, any of the limbs would help. Perhaps aiming for the other arm? Or maybe the legs?

If… he could aim with this slab of metal.

Damn it, if only his chain could be able to seal like it does….

Oh…

The chain!!!

"Okimi!!! Lets do this! Heat this place up with your dragonfire! Teach her what it means to face a dragon!"

She didn’t need to be told twice. Sliding out her left foot, Okimi widened her stance. A deep breath of air entered her hungs, before she exhaled slowly, letting the chakra gather in her mouth. Her mouth grew hotter and hotter, as more and more of her chakra gathered. An orange light began to brighten in her mouth. She’d need a little bit of time to pull this technique off, so hopefully she didn’t get frozen before then. All Okimi could do was hope that Waka would be distracting enough so Okimi could try to end this with one blow, or at least collapse the cave on the creature… woman… thing.

“Nice and hot, lets melt this bitch!” Waka was getting heated up as well! He began by quickly wrapping his chain around his arm and wrapping it to the blade.

“Lets do this Okimi! Ignore me just fire at her!!”

God he hoped this plan didn’t backfire completely, but he can’t see any other way of getting the heat on the blade… And having her mouth the damn thing to the proper temperature wasn’t gonna happen quick enough.. He had to use the fireball.

And that, was gonna hurt.

The term ‘bitch’ ignited something in the cave… and suddenly it seemed less cold in the cave. The akuma screamed, grabbing her face with one hand, trying again and again to regenerate her arm hysterically, while contorting, and generally being inhuman in how her body twisted and flailed.

At another hiss, suddenly all the frigid air and snow started to pull towards her. A warm, humid cave was left, with water dripping off the stalactites above. Water dripped many places around with a disturbingly regular calmness and pattern. Around the woman, a thin veil began to condense around her… and then a hiss rolled out with fog from her, covering just a small area of the cave.

Her shadow could be seen in the center, and she seemed to calm down as it began to rain only in the fog cloud.

Crystal clear, the rain didn’t look like water though, and the fog around her glistened with diamond dust throughout, almost looking beautiful if not so deadly. The ground below her seemed covered in what looked like shiny styrofoam.

Okimi’s head reared back. All her focus was on decimating her target with this next attack. The fiery light emanating from her mouth suddenly brightened, before Okimi took a step forward, and sent a blazing beam of heat flying forwards. Okimi could barely keep her eyes open as she used every ounce of effort possible to hold her technique in place as it made a beeline for the woman’s center.

That's hell you’re walking into, a voice ringed in his mind, the brief seconds he had to think before he was god damn going to pull what is to be the most stupid stunt he has pulled thus far. But the way he looks at it, if this thing doesn’t die here while they are on equal footing it may go wreck havoc everywhere.

And not many will have the chance he has right now…

So foolishness be damned.

This thing dies.

The ray of heat was jarring, but he moved forwards, feet slightly slipping on the wet cave floor as he rushed side by side with a beam that was threatening to burn the skin right off of his bones. And with teeth gritted he lunged the sword into the beam, his body screaming with every movement of its weight.

At first, his eyes, barely saw a change, but his hand felt it long before the steel heated up to show the true temperature. He kept moving, drawing a painful path towards the woman! His hands screaming to release the blade he chained himself to, the blade heated by dragonfire and desire to destroy this akuma!

Upon his approach, his body had another problem to greet, the cold coming off of his woman was beyond this world, beyond what could truly be seen in nature… perhaps even beyond what could be done with jutsu. He could feel his body freezing, thawing from the blade, freezing again, seared by the ray.

He couldn’t feel the pain, in this brief moment between the fires and ice of hell itself he felt nothing as his mind focused on the singular purpose in front of him.

Set aflame and frozen to the core he screamed in defiance of what stood in his way.

And struck with a fiery sword of vengeance, without mercy.

The Yukionna’s entire focus went to the charging fire, the ice around her condensing, and the rain growing harder as air itself froze. Rains of Nitrogen, gravel of oxygen at her feet, she seemed to drool ice instead of breath.

The ice and fire met head on with a menacing sizzle, the air momentarily exploding around them, and pushing the ice demon back, forced to her knees and bracing with her one good arm, before staring defiantly at the stream of fire, and screaming, before shoving her hand out at it, more ice meeting it, and a hot steam erupting around, mixed with the ice, snow melting off her from the sheer temperature of the steel melting beam of fire.

Her entire focus, and all of her chakra was combating Okimi, not even noticing the hero charging through it, even if it weren’t a mindless beast, someone charging through the song of fire and ice between them wasn’t even the realms of logic. And so her counter assault continued, liquid rain splashing all across the lone soldier, ice forming over his jacket one one side, and fire burning away the other. And only at the last minute did she see it. “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!” She roared, trying to unleash another barrage of cold, only for the distraction to cause Okimi’s beam to slam into her, melting away the spare arm. She screamed loud, and started to regenerate it through the fire, only to look up at Wakanaka with that blade coming down.

Similarly, the runes spread out of the blade on impact, and shot out in a sphere around both of them, time seeming to stop, and Okimi’s fire suddenly stopping short of the sphere. The seals seemed to slowly rotate, with time crawling in the center as every detail could be seen of the Yukionna’s shocked expression, the beam of fire piercing part of her torso, and the frozen rain, several drops mid freeze on Waka’s face, the sword bisecting her.

And after the seals finished a single rotation, the entire sphere imploded, a new shockwave dispersing her cloud of cold, and Okimi’s stream of fire, the shockwave visibly rippling across the cave, and zipping across the ceiling, tearing it apart.

And in the middle of it all, Waka was standing alone, the Yukionna sealed within the blade, ice frosting down the middle of it, and clear blue runes now running down it.

And Waka indeed stood alone, body very hurt, still burning coat slipping off his body and onto the soggy ground, the sword was firmly planted in the ground, just abit in the stone that it stood up on its own as if smug in its triumph over the yukionna.

Wakanaka however… Was not looking too hot… or cool… Rather lukewarm in truth, his body went through a couple levels of freezerburn and literal fire burning in under a few seconds. Plus, the liquid nitrogen that was raining down made his skin tough and desperately trying to recover…

His body waved and swayed as feeling was somewhat coming back to him, the chain on his arm falling off, revealing VERY unpleasant burns where it once lay. Hell, it even sizzled once upon the ground.

Stumbling to his left, then to his right, he stood straight once more, half of his hair burnt to a crisp, the other.. Quite literally crispy and breaking appart in icey chunks. He looked towards Okimi and with a fading look on his face and a dumb smile, gave her a thumbs up.

“G-g...Good job.” he then passed out, upon impact the rest of his froze hair shattering like glass… Nothing left but a singed mess of short patches.

Okimi had been busy trying to catch her breath during this whole ordeal. It felt like she had smoked a gigantic cig by the way her mouth and lungs burnt. That was nothing compared to how burnt Waka was looking though. It was impressive, to say the least. Not as cool as a fire beam but cool enough.

After slowly stretching out her neck, Okimi slowly strode over to Waka’s unconscious body. She pressed her hand to her chest, and in a puff of smoke, Feurey emerged and grabbed Waka by the collar.

“Take him out of the cave, I’ll go find Kurio. Hehehe… Ichiro is gonna love this story.”

Wakanaka And Sensei ichirou

For whom the big ass sword falls

Unedited, uncut.​

Suffice to say, having a big ass sword was one thing, wielding it? Another all together. He had been sort of hefting it everywhere it was allowed, trying to get used to the hefty thing that Aito tossed at him without much a care in the world. He brought it to a smith to ask if anybody had bought anything similar, so he could possibly ask for some pointers, but he got laughed at and pointed to the door. His misfortune continued as he was asked if he was making up for something by children passing by…

Nonetheless, he wished to utilize the slab of metal.

So he had begun to ask around for the strongest man in the village… Which he got a few stupid answers, but many spoke of Ichiro the feral, one of the sensei who were instructing his year.

He heard he was near constantly trying to get stronger, so best try and find him at the training grounds. Best place to find meat heads Waka guessed…

Step by step he followed the path there, wondering what type of man gets the title "the Feral."

A scream like a werewolf lit up the entire quarry that was Training field. An explosion of rock flew around Waka, and left in the middle of a boulder the size of a small building, a shirtless man stood panting, a hand on each side of the boulder… like he had literally just ripped it in half with his barehands.

The expression he had was fuzzy, his eyes unfocused, and he looked like a weight lifter who had just screamed out the last rep.

“Teach that bitch to call me flabby. Her and her stupid dragon. Tch. Why do I have to have a specific ‘do not kill my students’ policy.”

He fell to one knee, sweat just starting to pour down his his body, debris sticking to his skin, though with his torn clothing… it was hardly a downgrade.

Waka didn’t fully know what he had just witnessed but his eyes were staring at the man who just ripped a boulder in two… Out of apparent anger.. He had the same feeling he had when watching Aito perform her cool maneuvers with her blades, this man…

Was fucking rad.

...But seemed to be in a rather unpleasant mood… Maybe Waka should come back another time when he wasn’t so angry? He was cool, definitely strong as all hell… But the pride in his heart seemingly just had it’s tail put so far between it’s legs it could smack it’s face with it.

But.. however…

He had a job to do…

Plus his mouth was not currently being watched over and decided to speak out.

“...That was awesome…”

The man’s eyebrows twitched.

“Yes, but spying on me ain’t.”

A hand rested on Waka’s shoulder.

“You got ten seconds to explain to me why I don’t make you the next boulder.”

His eyes lowered to Waka. This man was tall. Very tall. His fingernails were a disaster, ripped and torn, they had dirt in parts that looked like they’d never come out.

“Oh shit, it’s a kid. Tsumikage would kill me if I ruined any of her little projects. Bitch. Alright, what’chu here for though? Seriously.”

Waka’s body was stiff as a board.. Or the sword on his back… This guy could use something to fix his hands.. Those certainly don’t look healthy.

“I-I’m sorry! I… Was simply here to…” come on damn it, why did he feel like he was being stared down by a beast?! Wait.. Actually thats an apt description given his title… Hopefully this is the guy anyways, he’d hate to think of somebody more frightening.

“I...Want to become stronger! Very strong! Strong enough to use this damn sword.” Okay to much calm down Waka stop panicking. “Ryuuka seemed strong… And people say you are the strongest man here… So… I came to ask how you do it.” he explained, slowly loosing gumption and adrenaline.

God… He felt like he had made his mom angry.. She was a terrifying person too at times.. Maybe it’s because she was his mom..?

...This guy was a definitely different beast though…

Ichiro audibly growled before crossing his arms. He had the faintest smile on his lips.

“Tch. Well, I guess if you ask like that, I can’t say no. But let’s not pretend I like it. I’m a feral beast, damnit, not some damn daycare teacher. … oh shit, is that Aito’s?” (Tsundere spotted)

He lifted it off Waka’s back, and began to exam it one handed. “Yup. One of hers. Just tell me you ain’t trying her stupid angel style too. Cause how we met involved an opposing mission with Arashigakure, and me throwing a very large boulder at her. I keep drilling it into Tsubame that being grounded’s a good thing. And being in the air isn’t being grounded. Alright, show me how you use it. Go ahead and hit me.”

He tossed the blade back to Waka.

“Yes sir! No sir.” Waka tried answering, only getting lost in his answers. “I mean no.. I don’t want to be like her… I can barely handle one sword like this not to mention…” he pauses for a good solid few seconds before looking at the man, both hands now upon the sword, which was half resting on the ground.

“...You want me to.. Hit.. YOU…?” he emphasized that you with a pointing finger. “...Are you certain..?”

Ichiro simply stared. “Did I fucking stutter?” His muscles tightened, audibly stretching despite his stance.

“Fair.” Waka stated, fully realizing he was either going to help this man commit suicide or see something insane.

Likely both.

Hefting the blade up he was arguing with the weight of it, he barely held a stance, which was basically the young man’s attempt at holding it like a large katana… the best he really knows for bladed weapons in truth.

Stepping back once he raises it high and, with a brief prayer he comes up with an excuse as to why he had killed Kurio’s sensei, brought the blade down on the gigantic beastman.

With a massive thud, it struck true, slamming into the man, and forcing him to step back from the blow, a red line forming over his chest, and a crack definitely heard. And the man laughed.

“You actually swung it! Crazy! I might need to visit a medical nin later. One second.”

He closed his eyes, and the blood instantly stopped, drying in an instant over the wound. Ichiro then picked up the sword.

“Aito uses ninjutsu to control these, it’s not really something easy to just pick up. But its a helluva thing to get hit by. Here’s where I’d start. You ain’t getting the muscles to do this overnight, priestboy, but a bit of knowledge’ll do you good. First of all, all the damage of a blade comes from the swing or thrust of it. Know sounds simple, but it’s where we’re going to start. If you want to swing it, you need some good leverage. Your hands were too close together.

Hold it as far apart as you can, almost like a spear. See a blacksmith to extend the handle if you need to.

Second, sword like this is heavy as hell. So or someone like you, don’t let gravity drag it down. Hold it straight up til you’re going to strike. That way it doesn’t fall to the side.”

Ichiro demonstrated a proper form with it, holding it straight up with a wide grip on the handle.

“And third, never work against the momentum of this thing. Once you’ve swung, you’ve committed. Wait til it’s done to turn it around, or bring it around like an X to save momentum.”

With vicious force Ichiro cut diagonally down, before looping a figure 8 and rending an ‘X’ infront of him.

“What’chu working on with this? Any techniques you’re up to, or general tips?”

Wakanaka’s eyes sparkled like stars… Holy shit that was cool.

“Yes sir!” he nodded with enthusiasm. “Learning how to handle it was the first step sir. I wasn’t thinking to much on technique due to it’s…” he looked to the sword. “Well it seemed like a thing that wasn’t much beyond a big piece of metal..” he admitted, looking at the blade in a new light.

“If anything… I’d like to be able to… Though it’s silly…” he scratched his head.. “..I’d like to be able to cut something down in the blink of an eye with it. I’ve seen swordsmen do it with lighter blades, this sword can break a guard but…” he dare not admit in any way shape or form he thought iaido with a big ass sword would be cool.

“..I’m not sure Miho sensei would care for that idea…”

“That’s cause that bitch don’t got no imagination. She hates her job, so putting in anything extra’s too much a pain in the ass. But sometimes, you gotta be a man. Imagine what is is you want to do, and pull it through, no matter how stupid it is. Little things like that are called job satisfaction. Like ripping out a man’s spine and beating him to death with it. You gotta use your imagination, cause if you ain’t enjoying your job, who is?”

He started to chuckle, creepily, as if remembering good times.

“So you wanna do iaido with it? Cause sounds stupid, but if you’re going to do that, you’d best start learning how to hold this damn thing one handed. But if you want to end things in an instant in one blow… hmmm… Give me a second.”

Ichiro swung it quizzically as he though, one hand swinging it to get its weight, the other scratching his chin. Slowly a smile started to come to his face.

“Kid. How fast are you? I need you to run to that boulder and back for me. I’m getting an idea. Ninja shouldn’t get a technique in an instant, but fuck tradition… I’m getting an idea. Hehehehe…. hahahaha ! I’m getting an idea!”

Ichiro began to point the sword at the boulder, and back down, back to the boulder, and back down. His legs were starting to tense.

Wakanaka nods, having quite abit of fun actually. He cracked his knuckles first and then took off towards the boulder, once arriving he slapped it quickly, whirled around and rush back to the place he started, he couldn’t help but feel excited.

“If this tech works, and you like it… you’re going to have to get faster. A lot faster. I like to call it ‘Shooting Star’.”

Ichiro’s knees began to bend, and is body lurched forward, a crazed look in his eyes. He held the sword with both hand with the blade towards the ground for an upwards strike.

(Soundtrack is important.)

In a burst of speed, he shot forward at the boulder, looking less like a man running, and more like a flying kunai.

He stopped suddenly infront of the boulder, his legs anchoring themselves as a line of spiderwebs shot into the rock under him, breaking the ground under him, and sending small rocks flying from the sheer force of him stopping, and Ichiro brought the sword up in a rising strike.

In an instant, the force of him running transfer straight into the ‘fuck off sword’, and the boulder fucked off. A shining star could be seen twinkling in the distance where he had flung it. Then a loud cat crying in the distance.

Ichiro looked proud as he handed the blade back. “Yup.” He said simply.

Wakanaka was speechless, awestruck, he didn’t have time to lament his lack of speed when the man had shown him what a true ninja could do. “Shooting star…” he was absolutely pumped, as much as a bright eyed young man could be about seeing something wicked cool.

“That was awesome sensei!” the young boy pumped a fist in the air, thought then wondered where exactly that boulder ended up…

Whatever!!!

“I need to get stronger and faster, looks like I have my work cut out for me!” it had been a long time since he had been instilled with this much energy, “Blade placement, speed, strength…” he started repeating this as if to break it into his mind…

“...OH! Umm, Sensei! How do you think I should get stronger? Faster means alot of running, but you are very strong.

How did you do it?”

Ichiro growled again, his mouth snarling and teeth showing… with the slightest hints of a blush.

“Beating ninja to death with my bare hands until they gave me a headband. Dont’ recommend it. Just when you think of something cool, figure out how to get there. If you can do that, you’re strong. IF someone does it better. They’re stronger. It’s about the follow through. I have a training regimen to focus on different aspects personally. Find yourself something to do.

Strength, mostly take it out on rocks, being surrounded by a quarry is a blessing.

Reflexes, ask Kurio about ‘clock training’ some time. I get a few ANBU to try and kill me.

Genjutsu, I have a few candles filled with illusions in them. I gotta catch the illusion, otherwise I pass out and the candle burns my house down, there’s fire department involved and pap-

Anyways,

Endurance, hot spring trainings

Breath control, gourd breaking.

But for you, you need to work on speed. There’s a mine shaft I get some Kounna folk to set up for me once in a blue moon. Just run from one side of the mine to the other. Tell someone when you’re going, otherwise you’re probably going to die. Make sure one of you two got tree climbing jutsu and rope. I’ll have it set up for you. Pick a training buddy. It’ll do your speed and balance good.”

Ichiro then cracked his neck, sighing as he realized he’d been monologuing.

“Now… payment. I ain’t doing this shit for free.

I got this one student I want you to prank… Do that, and we’re golden. ”
-ten seconds, looking up a doc I had-

Waka naka looked up from the quick note he was writing. He wasn’t fully certain how hotsprings would work for endurance.. But he figured the man knew of some very hot springs…

Payment, a prank?

Hmm…

“...I happen to know a master when it comes to pranks, a teammate who is more trouble than shes worth at times. Whom I am probably going to get flack from for having a large sword. But I’m certain I can get the job done, if by picking her brain abit.” he pauses and looks towards the man.

“Who is this student?” he asks, almost feeling like they were setting up a mission or something. May as well treat it like one, this man did alot for him right now.

A Clan Affair
-Sachiko's 'Day Off'-

Boring... boring... boring!!!!!

Sachiko sighed as she knelt in the ceremony room, her hair was without it's regular pink, the natural black tied behind her in a bun. White socks and a kimono similarly looked out of place, and she pined for her hat, but that one wasn't likely to happen.

A killing intent went through the room, and she looked up to see her father staring at her behind their guest. Sachiko gave a sheepish smile that somehow didn't look sheepish in the least.

Their guest was the head of Akechi, and his daughter. Some complaint about the mines had turned to a bloody ceremonial affair. Someone getting married off probably, minor households of both clans.

-------------Come back to

Silence pertained once more. It would take over an hour just to finish their confounded drinks at this point. Sachiko was tempted to sneak off. Claim she needed the restroom and just not come back. However, she noticed out the corner of her eye Koki's fan at an angle below him. Her father hadn't given him a death glare purely because Sachiko had messed up first, and drawn attention away from it.

Sachiko smirked, before 'loosing' a pick for her sweets, bending over the grab it, and fixing his fan placement before anyone could notice. Better she take the wrath of the old dragon than Koki. He'd probably be moody for days. Waaay to sweet to let their stupid old dad be mad at. As she came back up, her finger gently grazed his tea cup, turning it slightly for him so that no one would get mad at him for that either.

And Sachiko was a ninja, so no one seemed to catch her. They were all SUPPOSED to be ninja, but a clan of demolition experts sometimes forgot the important things. And a INFLUENCIAL clan of demolition experts would then tie a bow over the frivilous things, like ceremony.

We're not even a major village, Sachiko thought dryly to herself, before noticing their guest giving the ceremonial thanks and drinking. Then their dad stared at her and Koki, and motioned towards the tea cup with his eyes.

Oh heck no. This things not even cool yet!

Scalded lips would heal.

------------------------------------------

In the end, it took over thirty minutes before they actually began speaking business. Sachiko had tried escaping, felt a heavy hand grab the back of her collar, and sit her back down.

"The clan heir should attend matters of business. It would be the Kounna honor to listen to you request, o noble Akechi family."

Sachiko gave a plastered smile, while regretting where her Saturday had gone. She bet Waka or Shio never had to deal with this! As she sat back down, she noticed Koki sit as well.

You are the best little brother, and I am buying you so many sweets after this...!

He didn't even have to stay! It was masochistic! It was empathy!

---------------------------------------------

Three hours for negotiations. Sachiko could hear the clock tick tocking off the back of her skull, like nails on a chalkboard. She looked over at the rest of the guests. How were they not bored out of their mind!?

Finally, they were standing and bowing. Sachiko followed suit, waiting for them to leave, only to see sake bowls being brought out. She could swear she heard glass shattering somewhere, so much so she looked around.

Nope... just my psyche.

A waste of a perfectly good Saturday! Wasn't she supposed to be preparing for the chunnin exams!?

Koki whispered to her.

"Hey... sis... after this, think you can help me out wit-"

Laughter erupted in the room, covering them, Sachiko's cue to be honest.

"Whatever it is, yes, happily. Just get me out of here! I feel like I'm going to literally die of boredom."

"It's not so bad...."

"... You're going to make me feel bad for being the older one."

"Sorry."

Sachiko saw the laughter die down, and plastered the smile on her face, waiting for another moment of merriment before elbowing Koki.

"Ow! What was that for?!"

"Being too perfect. Makes me want to bully you."

"You already do!"

"Well, yeah, but, not really. I mean, there's this kid named Waka, and my sensei and them I bull- anyways, what'chu need help with anyways."

"Shurikens... I know you keep saying you suck at them, but I can't get a jutsu to work, and no one else will help me. Sensei's sick, and dad's been worrying about this stupid ceremony all day."

"Well, I mean, how can I refuse a request like that. Might not get out before dusk though."

"Oh."

"So late night training it is!"

Sachiko realized she'd been a bit too loud when another death glare was shot at her. She looked absolutely non plussed, but at least didn't make things worse. Man... trolling the team's so much more fun than this...

------------------------------
Sachiko sighed, then near collapsed as the last guest left. Way to late. Waaaay to late. She was tired... she saw her brother standing over her. She held out a hand. "Drag me, Koki!"

He began to form a handsign, and Sachiko leapt up. "Wah!" Under her, a small explosion blasted the wood where she'd been laying.

"Fine! Fine! I get it!"

He crossed his arms and pouted. Then handed Sachiko her hat. Her eyes gleamed. "Where'd you find it!?"

"Dad always hides it in the same place. Puts it in with the clan records, because he says you'd never look there."

Sachiko held a fist angrily. "That sly oni! The one place I'd never look!"

She adjusted it, and felt the chakra flow around it, holding it place. It felt normal... Sachiko was here again, not that china doll she'd been pretending for the last..... she looked at the clock. SIX HOURS!?

She just slowly groaned, before walking out, and grabbing a ninja pack. It wasn't hers, but hey, most ninjas were the same. She looked inside. Nothing but explosive tags. She put it back.

"MOOOOOM! Where's my bag?"

"Sachiko, we're finishing up."

A killing intent filled the room. Sachiko, again, was non plused. If they were going to murder her, they would have done it a loooooong time ago. She walked up, and offered her own version of the technique.

She looked her mother in the eye, and raised a single eyebrow... and smiled.

She didn't have to hold the look of mischief for long before her version worked.

"Oh no... what did you do this time...? You said you'd behave. Uh... fine, it's in your room. Just make sure we get this off without a hitch."

Sachiko bowed politely, before grabbing it, and meeting Koki out back.

"Why don't they hide your stuff?"

"Because I don't put fireworks in the snacks, and they don't need to give an ultimatum." He said without any emotion.

Sachiko just shrugged. "To be fair, I behaved this time. For SIX HOURS! Ugh... now they're going to expect me to do it again."

"Not as bad as Uncle's wedding."

She facepalmed at the memory. Then again, Sachiko hadn't... quite behaved then. She smirked as she remembered the false floorboards in the dance room. They said he might walk again....

"Alright, squirt, what'cha got for me."

A kunai flew by the side of Sachiko's face, leaving a slight graze. Sachiko reached down, and felt the cut.

"Aaaaaaand now I have tetanus. Seriously though, you threw that just fine. What's up?"

"I was... aiming at your arm. Every time I throw it in a spar, the other ninja just blocks it. How do I do anything with kunai or other tools if the other guy can just intercept it."

Sachiko's eyes lit up with interest, before grabbing Koki, and giving him a noogie. She saw the handsign, and squeaked a little too late. She ended up halfway through the shrine before she managed to right herself, her ceremonial kimono hissing from the flame.

"Oh no... my kimono...whatever will I do."

She looked at the shrine. "Oh. Actually, crap baskets from that one. Let's, uh, maybe flee, and say were were never here!"

She flickered away, finding Koki behind her, gulping. Sachiko sighed. "OH, don't worry about it. You're annoyingly perfect, Dad's not ever getting on your case. He'll immediately yell at me instead. I got all the spotlight, whether I like it or not. Anyways, tools, whole thing about them is misdirection. Tools don't take chakra, which means you get alot more chances to get someone off guard. Two ninja's fighting can block eachother's techniques as long as they want, but for the most part, a shuriken can kill a kage, or a genin. You just gotta look for the chance. 'sides, I don't know why you're complaining about being blocked. You have the clan's pride and joy."

"Pride and joy...?"

Sachiko sighed, and then signalled to stop. She grabbed Koki's wrist, and shoved a kunai in it. She began to fold his hands into a sign for 'explosion'. "Yes! There's a technique you could do, I can't. Learn chakra flow! It would make a kunai hecka deadly. You gotta get creative with tools. You have all the tools to be unstoppable Koki! You know, you really should be the clan head."

"Ugh. You say that like, every time we do this, Sis."

"Still not wrong."

In the distance, a yell could be heard. "SAAAAAAACHIKO!"

"See, now they'll be angry with me. I'm just not cut out for this heir stuff."

"You know Dad's only harsh cause he thinks you can do it. He pays you attention, and hardly cares about me."

"Yeah, well, Dad's an idiot. I used to be in your shoes befo... A-anyways... just keep it up lil bro. You got this. You'll be genin like me before long."

"But then you'll be chunnin..."

Sachiko laughed, falling to a knee. She laughed, her face going red. Then she felt a fist, and the laughter stopped.

Koki looked angry. "I mean it! You'll be chunnin then! You'd better!"

Sachiko raised an eyebrow. "Why? I suck at being a ninja."

Koki folded his arms. "Because, you're a really bad liar."

"I'm pree sure I'm a dang good liar."

"Because.... because... I want you to."

"Convincing, but, uh, doesn't make me a magically good ninja."

"Because... HE'D want you to!"

Another punch, but this time from Sachiko. Koki went flying back. Sachiko didn't pull that one. She snarled. "Go back to working on your stupid tools.... I gotta go get flak for blowing up a shrine...."

xwVPfG9.png
Shioreta Koino

Shioreta made note of the man's reaction as he ultimately brushed it away flipping it around and putting it away giving a nod with a warm smile on her lips. It wasn't quite the reaction she would of expected but it still worked none the less. She nodded lightly as if in agreement with what he said. No sense in her pushing things further, she knew all she really needed to know for now. Pestering for anymore information was beyond what the mission called for. Not to mention he was the client... so it wasn't exactly the best thing to cause trouble. She would leave that shtick for her teammate Sachiko. She looked to Tsubame scratching the back of her head.

"Ah.. s... sorry... I guess I got a little carried away."
She spoke with an awkward smile on attempting to act a bit apologetic. She didn't see much reason to tell her anything else it seemed irrelevent. "I'll be fine, really! I think! I mean I have my inhaler so I can always use that!" She spoke giving a thumbs up to her teammate smiling brightly trying to be reassuring while not quite saying the most reassuring things. She was being a more more mischievous then she normally would... suppose it rubbed off on her... as long as she doesn't inherit another persons pure hatred and rage.

Shioreta had kept focused during traveling, the signs of being worn down showing a bit though she did her best to hide it. She didn't exactly have the luxury of taking a rest this time as they traveled up the mountain. She paid attention to the conversation he had with her partner though she didn't say anything electing to act more focused on the walk. A few uses of her inhaler helping to ease her up as she would shuffle forward to catch up as they traveled further up the mountains. As they traversed the very air seemed to change feeling a bit of her hair stick up not really caring all that much though it wasn't the most ideal condition to be in.

Shioreta caught the shadow from the corner of her eye. The young shinobi becoming alert as she glanced over at Tsubame nudging a little bit before speaking in a low tone as the man droned on.

"Incoming, allow them to think they have the element of surprise and counter attack. They will likely hit us first before going for our client." She spoke out letting own a yawn as if bored with his little ranting about the villages reaching back slipping out a smoke bomb from her pack pocketing quickly under her sleeve acting as nonchalant as she could. The coach could at least keep him safe, not that she doubted he would be alright without them. He was going to likely play it off as if he wasn't very capable unless he absolutely had to act. As far as she knew it was a test in itself... or worst off he would nitpick their performance beyond what a normal clueless client was capable of. She had plenty of likely negative files with what her team got up to already, best to not add ones of her own.

She readied the smoke bomb in her sleeve preparing to quickly grab her scroll and spring to action as soon as the attack began.

Tsubame MochizukiTsubame wasn't convinced that Shioreta would be okay during the journey up the mountain, and was even less convinced as her partner visibly struggled and relied on her inhaler. But Tsubame couldn't do anything about it, unless Shioreta squeezed in to ride with their client or Tsubame carried the other girl. Both were improper; the latter because of her clan, of having to act like she was being watched and judged all the time. And if the lower clan members caught her carrying Shioreta back to Tsumigakure they would gossip, or faint at the sight. The thought made her smile, despite herself, and she hid it behind her sleeve. The former was because 'Master' Saemonsaburou didn't seem like the type to simply scoot over and allow Shioreta to ride with him without putting up a fight.

"The Mochizuki clan is a shinobi clan, Master Saemonsaburou," Tsubame said with practiced ease, pretending not to have noticed the joke. "We've taken many difficult missions far away from home in service to the Tsumikage, which is how you may have heard of us. It's a great compliment to know that my clan's accomplishments reached you."

The static in the air and lightning in the distance made her think of the akuma-tainted lightning bear. Specifically, being shoulder checked by it. Tsubame didn't have any scars from it, but the experience would follow her forever. It was a fond (ish) memory, if only because it made her think of her teammates and sensei. They'd only been on the one mission, but she still felt she should tell them she appreciated them, sometime.

Tsubame blinked as Shioreta nudged her and felt more than a little shock at the fact that she'd been distracted. She'd been walking on auto-pilot. She'd become sentimental about lightning, of all things. "Understood," she said back. She didn't look for whoever was coming but discreetly hardened the bones in her elbows under her sleeve. She did this with her palms too. It hurt more, but her expression didn't change. If needed, she could make herself a shield for their client, or simply protect herself.

It would all depend on what happened next.

Thanks for the Memories, Even if They Aren't so Great

Merchant of Memories
Kei, the dreamer, a retired ninja of lore, these days he's known as the merchant of memories. He'll sell you any memory he has for a price... and a trial. Problem is the guy's a jerk! I've been trying to pass his stupid trial for the last few weeks, and while the traps aren't too bad, the genjutsu gets me every single time. Looking for some nin with a bit of genjutsu talent, cause I sure don't have any! Oh,as far as why his memories are any good, Kei's been to every single chunnin exam for the last 50 years

A cavern to the south of the village was the listed meeting place. The mission client, however, wasn’t there exactly promptly at 9:00. It took nearly 15 minutes before a pink haired blob shuffled out of the cavern, before collapsing on the ground with a grown.

“I hate… genjutsu…”

Sachiko said, full of rancor. She’d look up before sitting against a wall. Makeup ran down in streaks on her face, Sachiko looked like a mess.

Shibata looked down at Sachiko from where he perched cross-legged on a nearby rock. “You truly are a marvel, arriving early to an appointment you yourself set up and still managing to keep us waiting.”

“Whoo! Got people here! Hope I’m mostly on time. Probably not.”
She shrugged. “So, here’s the mission, old man Kei’s a jerk. Sure you read how he’s got a cave full of trials, and anyone who can pass it can buy stuff from him. It’s kinda a pain though. Got normal stuff like hidden spike traps, walls filled with needles, nerve gas from the walls, etc. I’m… not actually sure if he’s trying to kill us or not yet. Thing I CAN’T DO is genjutsu. Ugh… But that’s why I have backup this time!”

“Also, any important events you guys wanna see first hand? I wanna watch a chunnin exam and see if I can’t cheat by observing what the other villages got. Afterall, got one coming up I’m willing to be you guys are forced into! But he’s seen wars, diplomatic meetings, important clan members like the Yamamoto, etc. Maybe some dirt on them too if anyone, say, wanted to blackmail their grandpa.

Pree much anything important in last 50 years he can show ya. I don’t know how he seems to just be at the right place at the right time… every time!”

Unfolding his legs Shibata hopped off the rock. “Who needs to be forced into it? The chuunin exams are an important rung for any shinobi looking to make something of themselves to ascend and it’s certainly not cheating to gather information.”

“Mmm I’m gonna be honest, I mostly tagged along because Gramps won’t fuss about me skipping morning training if I say I have a mission. This one seemed like it would be the most interesting,” Ryuuka said without sitting up. She had picked a flatter rock than Shibata and was lying on it comfortably, enjoying the morning sun with her eyes closed.

“I think the exam’ll be pretty interesting too, I kind of wanna meet kids from other villages without them starting a fight right away. I guess it couldn’t hurt to know what to expect though. As for Gramps, he’s pretty much unblackmailable, he has his own idea of what’s embarrassing or not,”

Sachiko raised her hand to ‘who needs to be forced into it’. Laughing as if something funny was said, she motioned towards the cave entrance. “Man, you two sure you’re teammates? So different. And what sort of person’s unblackmailable? Sounds boring! I don’t trust nobody with nothing to hide!”

Walking inside, a glittery mist rolled out, sparkling with a dark blue like the night sky. It made sight of the walls difficult. Sachiko groaned.

Letting Sachiko lead the way Shibata quickly decided that the mist was probably real enough. “As much as having three of me making up the team would make it run more efficiently it is importantly to have some variety.” He cast a sideways glance at Ryuuka. “Though I’m a little unsure what brings you along on a request for someone with knowledge of genjutsu.”

“Mist is through the whole thing… makes finding when Rei decides to do genjutsu difficult. And he keeps resetting the traps when I walk out! How annoying! Like, I know he’s retired, but he’s gotta be bored AND loaded to keep this up!”

As they walked, a pin clicking could be heard. Suddenly a line of crossbow bolts shot out from the distance, the mist making it so they seemed to just appear infront of the group, each one shot at chest level in a perfect line.

“It’s not like he doesn’t have his secrets exactly,” Ryuuka said as they strolled into the cavern. “It’s more like.. Well if someone found out about his secrets he would just deal with them being out in the open, beat em up maybe. He’s straightforward like that,” Before anyone could add anything to this statement there was a clicking and a twang as crossbow bolts were launched towards the party.

“Ooh! I know how this works now!”
said Ryuuka excitedly, here yes lighting up as she made no effort to dodge. “These are illusory crossbow bolts, we don’t even have to dodge!”

Having instead decided that the average genjutsu wouldn’t have included the sound of the trigger Shibata grabbed both girl’s arms and pulled them behind him, allowing the bolts aimed at them to sail harmlessly past before deflecting his with a rotating prism shield.

“Wah!” Sachiko yelled as she was secret serviced behind Shibata, a crack sounding as a bolt smashed against the rotating shield, deflect just enough to whizz past Ryuuka’s ear instead of Shibata’s chest, and embedded itself into the wall.

“Did I say I’m not sure if he’s trying to kill us? Cause I think I know the answer now!”

Sachiko then annoyingly hugged Ryuuka for ‘protection/meat shielding’. “It’s alright, we’ll just have our hero protect us!”

She then lurched forward and whispered into Shibata’s ear, not so quietly, “So… is this how your squad missions normally go?”

A creak could be heard in the distance in the mist, but nothing flew at them, the cavern growing quiet one more.

“Nah normally I would have punched something by now,” Ryuuka answered breezily from a pace behind Sachiko as she allowed herself to be dragged forward by the arm. “Still this genjutsu’s pretty realistic huh?” Ryuuka lightly tossed the crossbow bolt she’d snatched out of the air in the confusion with one hand. “I really can’t tell the difference between this and a real bolt,”

Being called a hero made Shibata puff his chest out slightly without him even noticing. “That doesn’t mean you get to slack off the whole time, speaking of which didn’t you already know about that trap or are they changing as well as resetting? If you want to punch a trap that badly Ryuuka feel free to-” He stopped in the middle of his snippy comment when he glanced at his teammate and saw her holding a bolt. “A-anyway if they weren’t real I wouldn’t have bothered to block them would I?”

“Aw… Caught again. One day I’ll get away with slacking off. Anyways, far as the traps, it’s kinda weird. I’ve tried this a few times. Sometimes the traps change, sometimes they don’t. First time they’ve been crossbow off the bat. I think each room of the cavern has a few different types, so predicting them useless.

But isn’t it odd they’re changing…? Meh, I just hope the genjutsu trap comes up soon, cause I’m going to feel embarrassed if it doesn’t. I mean, I can only call Shibata ‘my hero’ for so long before he turns around and clocks me.”

In the distance, a shadow flickered in the wall.

Sachiko then rubbed her chin, and looked at Ryuuka inspecting the crossbow bolt. She… wasn’t sure it WASN’T genjutsu, but it seemed pretty unlikely. She had to admit, as soon as ‘chakra usage’ came up, she generally tuned out. Sachiko’s manipulation was great. But the amount of chakra she had was pretty tiny overall. And no element dissuaded her too. But if it wasn’t genjutsu, Ryuuka would probably not enjoy a crossbow to the chest.

“Hey, Ryuuka, I hear if you die in the dream, you die in real life.”
She lied.

The next room, mirrors in the wall, and a ton of lights made it blindingly bright. A few makibishi on the ground would provide… a painful but mostly minor distraction. After a moment, a hiss began to fill the room, with a charcoal taste starting to fill everyone’s mouths.

“Oh is this a poisonous gas?” Ryuuka asked brightly, beginning to weave hand seals as soon as the hissing became audible and taking a deep breath of still clean air.

Wind Dragon's gift: Heavenly Provisions

“I have a thing to handle gas,”
Ryuuka explained. “Still can’t see anything tho- OW! My foot!” Ryuuka winced and backed up. “If someone points me in the right direction I can kick down a door or something?”

Thinking that it would just lead to more teasing Shibata didn’t comment that he was fine with being called a hero every once in a while. In the next room he blinked furiously under the bright light and stumbled slightly around one of the spiky objects littered about. Noting the hiss and odd smell he gambled that whatever it was might be heavier than air and jumped to the ceiling using the opportunity to knock out some of the more excessively bright lights to make it a little easier to see. “It could just be smoke to throw us off but try to find where it’s coming from anyway, listen to the hissing and follow it.”

“I really hope not, cause that would be new. Flashing lights not so much, or the Makibishi, but… seems like they’re getting harder this time around! Wonder if its cause there’s three of us, but then he’d have to - *cough * cough * Yup.. .definitely poisonous.”

Sachiko looked at Ryuuka’s dance, then Shibata on the ceiling knocking the lights away. Shibata would see Sachiko’s eyes fully blackened like an aliens, with her having no trouble with the light.

“So… is that thing for gasses for everyone, or just you...”
Sachiko pulled out her book, spotting a closed vent. “Ryuuka, smash forward, chest level.

Sachiko threw her book infront of her, so that it would land over the Makibishi, giving Ryuuka a clear step.

More Ninja Puns? Sure I Can!

Sachiko then scowled. “Shibata, aim that light to the right 45 degrees, 30 degrees up.”

“Smashing in process,” Ryuuka said cheerfully as she lunged forwards blindly in the direction Sachiko pointed her, extending her fist to launch a powerful straight punch trough the vent Sachiko had scene.

wyvern straight

“The gas thing is, sadly, a one person kinda deal,”
said Ryuuka to Sachiko, extracting her fist from the broken remains of the vent and giving it a shake. “If you need something to cover your face you can borrow my jacket though!” Ryuuka added, shrugging the aforementioned jacket off her shoulders and tossing it in the direction of Sachiko’s voice. “It’s only like, somewhat sweaty!”

Finding the air seemed to be clearer of poison if not of mist higher up Shibata obligingly angled the light as Sachiko requested. “Done.” He called out over the noisy clatter of glass, looking down he could at least see

A fist smashed through the vent, a hissing sound ending in the room, and air starting to return to normal, the burnt taste fading away slowly but steadily. Without the blinding light, Ryuuka would be able to see down a long corridor, with various machines and machinations whirling and spinning ahead.

However, as Shibata shone the light on the side of the room, a sudden yelp was heard on the other side of the rock, the surprised gasp and stumbling behind it echoing in the small chamber. The sound of running footsteps… on metal could be heard.

Sachiko coughed, collapsing to one knee. “Yup… definitely harder traps… never had a gas one yet.

So, how’d you two feel about cheating? Cause I don’t wanna do more of these stupid traps, I want to buy! *cough*

Anyways, Ryuuka, wanna smash? Thiiiiiink there’s a one way mirror there. He can’t change traps unless he’s moderating them… That, or I’m wrong and you’re going to break ya wrist. Or you’re a freak and punching rock is fun.... Thanks Shibata! You can break it now!”

Sachiko stood with a smile, crossing her arms as she waited to be proven right or wrong.

As the fist connected, it would fly straight through an illusory wall, and against a thick sheet of glass. After a moment after the impact, a chink sounded. Then another, and another. Then in an instant the entire wall broke apart, glass falling everywhere. The illusory sheet of rock was still up, but there was no glass wall behind it, and Ryuuka’s fist clearly moved through it.

“Aww man he cheaped out and used crappy, non laminated glass,”
Ryuuka complained, wincing and gingerly picking out fragments of glass from her hands. “That stuff goes everywhere when you punch it, does anyone have a pair of tweezers?”

Finding a relatively clear patch of floor Shibata descended from the ceiling and peeked through the fake wall to find a relatively clear corridor beyond. Pulling back he took hold of Ryuuka’s uninjured wrist and led her through. “I’ll handle that, let’s get clear of the gas first.” Once in clearer air he formed a pair of small flattened crystals then took Ryuuka’s injured hand in a careful but firm grip and set about meticulously plucking out each fragment without leaving room for any protest.

Sachiko gave a grossed out look as she looked at the damage to the hand. She knew enough from her little training on first aid that it wasn’t that bad, but Sachiko never liked to put herself in danger. Self inflicted wounds were something she never intended to go that far from. It was a good thing Shibata had a way to pluck out the glass...

Gingerly poking her head through the rock, Sachiko climbed the rest of the way in, disappearing like she could suddenly phase.

The rock would phase through for everyone entering it.

==============

Shibata would find himself walking out the stone surface and into a familiar white room. A regular ‘beep’ sounded within, and every aspect of the room was white. Sterile even. Behind a sheet in front of him, a small, femine voice sounded.

“Shibata? That you? Thought I told you to quit worrying about me… I’m *cough* fine.”

A hospital room.

A wave of dizziness passed over Shibata making him stumble slightly but quickly shook it off looking around the room. “If you didn’t want me to worry you’d wouldn’t have stopped using that nickname nee-san.” Feeling a heaviness in his limbs he slowly raised an arm to brush the curtain aside.

Sitting on the bed, the long locks of his sister could be seen, with a smile, yet heavy expression.

“But I thought you wanted to be grown up, Shi-chan? I mean, you’re the heir aren’t you?”

She looked out the window.

“You’d have wanted that, even if I weren’t sick… wouldn’t have you? What have you done to earn it so far?”

She coughed.

Perching on the edge of the bed he ran a hand experimentally over the sheet and followed his sister’s gaze then looked back to her. “I’d always wanted to make myself the best at whatever challenges I faced whether they were set by myself or for me until I realised I’d been given yours. I’d planned to one day surpass you but never to replace you.”

The coughing fit grew louder, until she quieted down.

“So you still think you can do better. Least you aren’t replacing me. I want to hear it out your mouth. What is it you plan to be? What is your greatest challenge that you’re wanting to be the best at?”

Seeming to stare straight ahead through a ‘solid’ wall Shibata smirked slightly. “You really do want to know don’t you? Fine.” He sat back apparently completely at ease. “I’m not looking to be the best just because I enjoy it, I want people to see me and want to make themselves greater and in doing so drive me to get better. Lead by example in a nutshell and what role sounds more appropriate for that than the Tsumikage?”

“Tsumikage? Hahaha- Urf, *cough*cough*. Always aiming high, huh? What makes you think you got what it takes? Remind me who your sensei is?”

The heart monitor started to become a bit erratic, with Fubuki’s cough getting worse, and nurses yelling down the hall

Shibata’s smirk dropped and was replaced by a scowl at his sister’s apparent distress. “Looks like this is where I get off. It was interesting to see how your genjutsu operates but this is just in poor taste now. Kai!” Scrunching his chakra into a tight ball he released it to race through his pathways driving the foreign influence before it.

===============

As Ryuuka would walk through the wall, she’d find herself in a dojo. A rather familiar tone sounded from above her.

“DOOOOODGE”

Above her, a crotchety old man was already midstrike, his fist coming down at Ryuuka like a meteor from the heavens.

Ryuuka sprung backwards at the least second as the old man’s hand sliced through the space she had been occupying a moment ago.

“Nice try ‘Gramps’” Ryuuka said with narrowed eyes as she adopted a fighting stance, bouncing lightly on her toes. “But the real Gramps would never warn me before trying to crack my skull open! You’re an imposter!” Before her opponent could answer the charge Ryuuka body flickered forwards, launching a flurry of quick punches and kicks.

The old man cracked his neck.

“That’s because you keep failing sneak attacks, and I was worried you have a few screws loose. Least you enough sense to dodge the obvious. ”

Oddly, he didn’t block as much as normally would have, seemingly not letting Ryuuka touch him as he bobbed back and forth.

“Can’t even land a blow. Pitiful. Are you even the strongest of your genin squad of three?! What have I been teaching you!?”

Ryuuka stuck her tongue out. “It seems more like you’re afraid to even take a blow if you ask me,” The Gramps imposter hadn’t quite nailed his style, they were more evasive and less efficient in their movements, to the point where Ryuuka was beginning to develop a theory she would have to test out.

WIthout warning Ryuuka launched another attack, a flying kick that she followed up with an elbow strike, then she flicked her forearm out to add on a quick backfist. At the last possible moment Ryuuka unfolded her fingers, turning her backfist into a weaker slap but extending the range of the attack quite suddenly.

Gramps dodged backwards, barely out of range, before Ryuuka’s fingers unfolded. There was no way even he could dodge at that range, but Ryuuka would feel nothing as she pass through with the slap.

“You foolish fool! Who is it who taught you to fight! I want you to say my name! Who is it who is master of this style!”

He began to stand in a stance Ryuuka would recognize well, her Grandfather’s Emperor Dragon Punch was something like his signature move. He had never used it on her but Ryuuka had seen him use it to obliterate an old office building when the demolition crew had asked for his help. Ryuuka doubted she was being faced with the real technique here though.

“Gramps is just gramps, who else would he be to me?”
Ryuuka said simply, loosening up her stance to shrug bemusedly. “Listen guy, my relationship with the old man is pretty healthy even if he is a grump. You’re probably going to need more than twenty minutes of genjutsu fueled psychoanalysis to really freak me out over it. Can we maybe just wrap things up? Or at least skip ahead to the part where I punch you in the face, that’s really more my jam,”

The old man sighed, his stance dropping, and he crossed his hands. “Have you EVER actually hit me? And those pansy slaps hardly count, could hardly feel those! Tch. Do you even remember what is it was I dreamt about you?” He started to pace away, trying a different direction.

“I’m pretty sure you didn’t feel them because you’re an illusion my guy,
” Ryuuka said patiently. “Or do you not know that?” Ryuuka frowned. “That’d be kind of a trip to find out, I don’t know what you do with that information, I guess you’re free to be your own person now though? Or uhh, you’re own illusion anyway.” Ryuuka folded her arms over her chest. Anyway I do nooot remember how to do that genjutsu bust out thingy so I’m gonna just hang out till Shibata does his thing. Good talk,”

===============

As Shibata would break the genjutsu, he would find himself standing in a corridor with the other two. Sitting on a crate with a cane in one hand, and old man watched him. He had a rather rugged cape one, torn and tattered through better years, with a fedora, and leathery skin.

“You broke out first I see… And I didn’t get to learn too much about you other than you want to be Tsumikage, and you have a sister.”

Behind him, he might notice words from the other two occasionally coming out.

Ryuuka muttering in a half trance “Or at least skip ahead to the part where I punch you in the face, that’s really more my jam,”

And Sachiko muttering. “I hate them all, and you left me to protect them!”

The old man’s face though, held it’s poker like expression. Then he sighed. “I suppose that passes. Traps were easily enough bypassed, and you’re not too much a talker. Good skill to have if you’re ever tortured. Information is more important than even lives.”

“‘Old man Kei’ I presume?” Shibata asked with his level tone back in place. “I do wonder just how long you’ve been holed up in here to be ignorant of such simple knowledge of a significant clan’s structure. Still that was quite an intriguing genjutsu, had it not taken the turn it had I would have been tempted to see more of how it played out.”

Hearing Ryuuka mention his name and her inability to do much of anything to help herself he rolled his eyes and went to her, rather than perform his chakra based ‘bust out thingy’ he lazily raised a hand and flicked her dead centre in the middle of the forehead.

Ryuuka blinked suddenly, then she spotted Kei and her mouth opened in an “Ahh” of recognition. “You’re the guy I said I was gonna punch!” Ryuuka said loudly, lunging forwards to do exactly that with a traditional karate straight

“Oho, but I must admit, I don’t know which clan you’re from. You never mentioned it, sir Shibata. Perhaps I should remember it if you wish to be Tsumikage… much like every other genin. Ah, and the other one awa-”

A resounding crunch could be heard as Ryuuka made contact with the old man, sending him stumbling backwards over the boxes, and against the stone below. It seemed rather thankful he was a retired ninja, as he managed to right him self, despite taking such a heavy blow, though bones cracking as he readjusted himself could be heard. He then looked at his broken cane and snarled.

“The test is over. Idiot. Unless, of course, you want to be REALLY tested. Because I know a few genjutsu you WON’T wake up from.” He began to weave hand signs, though no rise in chakra could be felt. An empty threat for the moment.

“Nah I’m good,” said Ryuuka cheerfully, rubbing her fist. “I just wanted to get one good one in”

“Do you know WHY I test those I give information to? What’s the worst thing that could happen to an information dealer?”

“Some kind of global communication network could be invented that makes access to information widespread and practically free, making your whole career obsolete”
Ryuuka said absently, “But that seems pretty unlikely,”

“FOOL!” A sudden killing intent filled the room, and the frail old man seemed suddenly as deadly as reaper for several seconds, a literal skeleton appearing perhaps as part of some genjutsu, before fading.

“I care nothing for my career, but if you were to do that, you would make my job more important than ever! A memory is information. And more important than who gets information is who DOESN’T get information. You would make the dirtier part of my job so much more difficult if you did that.

What’s the worst thing that can happen to an information dealer, is their information gets leaked.

Mine once did, and I’m fortunate the Tsumikage didn’t hang me. A chunnin once asked me about our villages Song of Rage. I foolishly aquiested. He and his squad was captured by one Katsuhito Okabe of Sangogakure, and the information spread. War happened. From one little piece of information. That said… you three seem resistant to traps… and at least two of you resistant to genjutsu…”

Sachiko was still muttering on the ground, the phrase ‘fuck the Tsumikage’ coming up, rare of her to even curse. Kei waved it off.

“I’m hesitant, but the price is yours. What memories would you all like to see…? I believe mid classified is allowable for your skills at genin.”

Scowling at having his ambitions belittled, Shibata took a step forward. “Do not take me for some child idly daydreaming that it would be fun to boss everyone around, in any case if you were actually paying attention while we worked through your traps I expect the crystal would have given away just who I am.”

He came to regret his bravado just a little a moment later, intimidated not so much by the skeletal imagery the old man conjured up but the apparent ease with which he did it. Slightly shaken he looked away and down at the still enthralled Sachiko, seeing that their host didn’t seem inclined to release her Shibata squatted next to her and freed her from the genjutsu.

“Anyway I’m here because the chuunin exams are coming up and I’m interested in learning about how they’re operated in Arashigakure.”
Having made his more practical request he hesitated before adding a personal one. “I also wanted to know if you might have been present for the chuunin exam when Fubuki Yamamoto took part.”

Sachiko finally woke up as the genjutsu was dispelled, looking up. "Where’s Koshirou?” She asked, with a raised eyebrow, and sitting up. She then looked around, and her eyes immediately were down cast. “Oh.”

“I too want to see a chunnin exam. One with… Koshiro Kounna.”

Rubbing a bruised head, the old man looked sternly from one, to the other, and then to Ryuuka.

“You too have anyone that miraculously is a single match can satisfy....? Then again, if you’re Ryuugen’s brat, I suppose his would be further back.”

“Look man I’m just here to kill time,” Ryuuka said breezily, folding her arms up behind her head,

”Alright… well then, let’s begin. I warn you, everything you are about to see is merely an illusion, and you cannot interfer with history one way or another, and neither can history interfer with you. I have had many clients have near heart attacks, or violently attack my lair because they can’t distinguish a genjutsu.”

Kei began a series of handsigns, and cleared his throat. When he spoke again, his boom roared… and took on an enthralling effect.

“In the summer three years ago, the chunnin exams were once again held in Arashigakure. The day was hot, and overcast.”

Immediately around them, the cave seemed to fade away to dust, and their hairs stood on end as the pressure lowered seemingly around them. A boom of lightning, and the trio would find themselves in a stand, seated next to old man kei. They would see their legs clipping through a sign that read ‘Reserved Seating, Kei of Tsumi, leaving it empty.’ Popcorn lay next to them, but infuriating was illusory as well.

The stand was raised high up on a column of rock, several other column holding stands, and in the middle of it all, a leveled plateau where two ninja could be seen, Shibata would recognize his sister, and Sachiko her brother, making the seal of confrontation.

“This was a memorable match for many reasons. Two opponents from the same village, while not rare, becomes much rarer when that village is minor, much like our own. And not only that, these two ninja were far above their peers in skill. And the physical display of their strength was… unnatural.”

Immediately as soon as the seal was released, a series of handsigns from the two began, their hands blurring to their respective ninjutsu. Before most of the genin could have made 5 seals, these two had made over 40.

“Tora, Ne, Ushi, Inu, U, Hitsji-”
“Saru, Uma, Ino, Mi, Ino,”

“And of two elemental kekkei genkai users? I haven’t seem such a scene in 50 years beyond these two.”

Immediately, a blossoms of explosions, and flowering crystals seemed to appear out of nowhere, the ninjutsu so fast it was blurring to watch. Crystals over ran and cut Koshirou’s left arm, while explosions singed Fubuki’s right, and in the middle, the collision of the two started to send shrapnel in every directions, barriers appearing over the crowd as fragments pierced into it, leaving cracks behind.

Before the collisions had even finished the two were upon eachother, alternating tai and ninjutsu in dizzying displays.

Sachiko watch with an open mouth. “So… uh, Shibata… did you know your… sister? Aunt? cousin? Was such a, uh, well, so scary’? Cause, uh, I didn’t think my bro was that, uh… good a ninja. And, uh… this a normal level for chunnin, cause I was hoping I could goof off a bit more and still be prepared for the exam...”

Looking on with bright eyes and a wide smile Shibata took a moment to realise he was being spoken to. “Huh? Of course she was the best!” Realising he might be a tad over excited he tried without much success to get his usual composure back in place. “Nee-san was always strong and I’ve seen her practice a lot but never go all out since there were some tensions at the time that stopped me from being able to see this.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the center, a particularly fierce kick sent Koshirou flying back, before an up throw sent shards at the genin. He clapped his hands together, and then dropped crystals like firecrackers below him. With a sigh, he said something exasperated, hands on his knees, causing Fubuki to laugh slightly, and the two began to circle around eachother.

Talk began to rattle through the stadium, and the proctor began to look nervous. It was a fight above his paygrade, and he was unsure he could stop it.

In a moment, the two were at it again, Fubuki began a series of handsigns, while Koshiro charged.

A fist was deflected, exploding as it missed, followed by a knee stopping a crystal blade. A crunching and boom could be heard as a melee devolved, heavy blows landed one after another, and between each one, a new hand sign, while each blow got Koshiro closer inside Fubuki’s guard. With full leverage, and a heavy blow that echoed through the stadiums and uppercut was landed… only to be blocked by a crystal guard. A follow up kick landed, sent Fubuki flying back… only to catch her self with her hand across the stone floor.

As she slid backwards, from her hand, glass seem to radiate out, crackling like ice as it spread, a path slowly encroaching out, and covering more and more area, until the entire surface of the arena was covered like a frozen lake.

Koshiro jumped back and back, until he saw he couldn’t stop it… then stood with his arms out, and closed his eyes. All around him, clones began to rise out of the crystal lake, but he didn’t move. They charged. He stayed still. They were upon him with crystal blades out, and suddenly he moved like a wild beast, dancing between each one, and striking with a flurry of explosions, only for more and more to be replaced. The speed of the combat got faster and faster, until a stray punch sent a ball of energy careening out, and against the barrier. An explosion blasted through it, and screams in the audience were heard.

Koshirou immediately gulped, and held his hand up. “I surrender!”

All around him, and infinite amount of clones paused. He definitely was worse for wear of the two as well. The scene started to fade, the group finding themselves in the cave once more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I allowed for confidential information… and you lot chose confidential information. Immediately after the fight, ANBU from the 4 countries involved wiped everyone’s memories. Everyone not jonin and above. And there were 1,438 spectators, of those 134 ninja, 43 genin, 53 chunnin, 24 jonin, 14 ANBU, 4 kage. But it would be bad for village confidence if an incident like that were to get out. Both Fubuki Yamamoto and Koshirou Kounna were asked to leave the exams… and promoted without question.

Thankfully, no one died from the incidents, but about 13 individuals were injured. Rumors say some of the individuals were more… important than others.

It was… quite a fight. I think its one of the more memorable fights I’ve seen. Well, minus Goro the canni-, well let’s skip that. Hahaha… if any of you can fight like that, you will have no problem with that exam. Oh, and if there’s any argument who won… it was Fubuki without question. From the ninja able to resist the mind wipe, Crystal Terrain became a hushed rumor, and the price for information for it became quite high. I had to track down quite a few bad dealers about it…

Now, does that answer any questions”

“Wait,” Ryyuuka said suddenly, her expression uncharacteristically grave. “There’s something I need to know about my Grandfather, something dark that he swore to take to his grave a secret,” she paused for a second as if gathering her resolve. “Take me back to the day he invented his teriyaki sauce recipe! I’ve tried everything but I just can’t crack the last ingredient!”

Old man Kei looked over at Ryuuka, his face perfectly calm, before he began a series of handsigns, before Ryuuka would feel something sticky drip across her forehead… a bit of … teriyaki sauce? Suddenly the ceiling would collapse as a river would wash her away, the feeling of drowning in her lungs. He then turned to the other two.

Back in the not drowned cave the old man snarled.

“I could have explained how I only can do memories I was only there for… but I think it would be a waste of my time, and I really didn’t want to hear the next blathering thing.” He slid a small piece of paper in her tool pouch that read ‘sesame ginger dressing’. “You two are welcome back any time you wish to view a memory. Especially you, little Yamamoto. Not many genin have any interest or skill in genjutsu.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back