• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I hadn’t read up the crazies, that is extremely interesting, looking at the cultural impacts the entirety of concept has, that might be the go to. It is all very alluring

The two downsides to the Crazy is their mental state and the fact that they are not inherently MDC beings. That can be worked around.

Mega damage is the super weapon damage that is one point of MD to one hundred hit points. MDC is extremely lethal to the "normal" human body.

As a Crazy, you can wear armor, but it is still something that you need to keep in mind that outside your armor you are vulnerable

What is the PPE to start? Could really just plan for death and maybe combine both and go for the mega juicer OCC

There are various martial art powers that you can learn that can temporarily turn you into an MDC being. That is a real help.

What is the PPE to start? Could really just plan for death and maybe combine both and go for the mega juicer OCC
I'm away from my books at the moment, but I can look when I get home in the morning.

Sherwood Sherwood
How wild would it be to juice up an Oni?
Er, you did tell our Frixz that this is a non-Evil campaign, right? We already have one Principled (Good) and two Scrupulous (Good)-aligned characters going. I'd rather not again go through what we went through last time if you remember that "fun." =)

Dann has a point. Teh Frixz Teh Frixz Whatever it is that you finally decide on, it needs to be a good aligned character to avoid me losing my hair even faster than it already is lol.

D. Rex D. Rex Are you looking to be a combat cyborg, or a lighter infiltration style borg?

Goodness i forgot how fast the OOC flies by when you work double shifts.

Alrighty.

Well I got two concepts and they actually each fall in one of those two. Let me pitch the ideas and get some feedback. Nothing fancy, simple and easy to adjust if needed. Details would be fleshed out once decided upon.

NOTE: during writing my story got shorter as tiredness weighed my eyes down.

1. A non-military government worker, Kentaro worked for a special project maintenance team often in zones considered hazardous or dangerous, or more sensitive projects. It was during an expected simple job, where a high profile individual was tagging along to inspect the team in their performance. During the job, unforseen consequences occurred and a critical failure resulted that endangered everyone. Kentaro was able to ensure the safety of the VIP at the of a fatal injury. Due to his sacrifice, the VIP footed the bill for a full cyborg conversion. Sparing no expense to bring their hero back. Now equipped with military hardware and a much more durable body as well as the expertise to back it up, even more dangerous and hazardous opportunities open up in the government. When you need someone to fix something now, in the most dangerous situations, you call Ken.

2. Belonging to the Japanese armored division, Kim worked within squadrons of various combat and transport vehicles. It was in what was supposed to be a normal patrol when her squadron was ambushed by an unknown foe. They were wiped out. Everyone was dead or dying. By the time they had been retrieved and medical treatment arrived, Kim was the last one left.

They did everything they could to keep her alive, even though there wasn't much left, in order to get the Intel. Blah blah, top secret could be anybody, blah blah, opted to undergoe full conversion to continue serving her country, legally considered KIA, now puts her expertise and combat experience to better use. As a cyborg.

Lol Yeah, having a licence is something that I don't see Snowfall having. Just remember that it is not capable of taking passengers.

Assuming that D. Rex D. Rex has no problems with his character, he might be able to help with transport as a driver of a team vehicle. I am also considering a npc from the Republic, but that is up in the air still.

Would happy to do so! Always happy to pilot and drive things! Had actually put both concepts in a situation to do so. Though concept 2 (Kim) might be more vehicle centric than concept 1 (Ken). Yet both could easily fit the bill.

D. Rex D. Rex what do you think of the borg I sent over? It needs some work, but it is mostly done
Am looking over it now. And am liking what I'm seeing. Tech focused yet not notably lacking in other areas to be caught flat-footed.

Very handy cyber implants.

And I don't even mind no special martial arts. Since plenty of other things I can do with cybernetics instead.

As for extra skills, Stealth or camouflage might be a useful one to at least keep from being a hindrance during quiet time.

And I really appreciate those little touches you added.

I do quite a bit.

And after looking it over, I think I might be leaning a bit more toward concept 2. But I'd still like to hear some feedback on which might fit best in the team and story.
Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Feedback requested? Feedback provided. =)

D., I honestly believe a merging of the #1 and #2 is most plausible and possibly a terrific lead-in for future side adventures.

Here's why:

The whole idea of the "VIP footing the bill" is very Japanese, especially if they were some very wealthy higher-up (or perhaps even better, the spouse or other relative, perhaps the wife and their baby were saved?). If the family option is taken, especially if the VIP who had the money were present (maybe they were there, helpless to act, but your character rushed in to save the day and got creamed in the process?). Oh. And to add some topping onto this multi-level cake we're building here, let's say it happened with the Republic's media journalists watching and sharing it with the rest of the Republic?

You want to talk about one honor-bound (if not personally grateful!) VIP! If this happened to a member of the military (even if they were the only casualty!), that VIP probably has two basic choices. #1 - Commit economic seppuku (suicide) by not doing anything and just taking their family home (tell me THAT wouldn't make the news!). Or... #2 - Look utterly fantastic in front of their family, their company, the military, and every single person who caught wind of that story if they didn't happen to see it live or on replay! Doubly so if the VIP were genuine about it all with a reputation to match!

Imagine what would happen if (and I pray this never takes place) during some movie-related gig involving the press interviewing Keanu Reeves, an out of control automobile came careening into the scene, and some military person (there for security), leapt into the chaos and saved Keanu Reeves's girlfriends life nearly at the cost of their own. Something like that. No expense would be too great to save that hero.

Plus, if you didn't want their name in the public, the Republic government could readily say, "we cannot release the name of this brave soldier out of respect for their family" (so the hero's family doesn't get bombarded by the newshounds, rabid Keanu fans, fanatics, random off-the-wall Crazies who now believe your character is the Chosen One, and so forth.

I believe the following might result (if Sherwood likes it):

1. Your character starts the game with one hell of a selfless reputation and a medal to match, but now has that reputation (among those who know or perhaps were there at the time) to live up to (which may be easy or hard?).

2. No bill to pay the Republic of Japan for the costs of becoming a full conversion cyborg. While many are seen as heroes of Japan (literally giving up their humanity for the sake of their fellow Japanese), you've also got folks out there who have to sign "x" number-of-year contracts to pay for all of that Cyberpunk chrome your new Body Player is carrying. Right, choom? But not your guy/gal. They're a hero!

3. Perhaps our "Section 9" is your character's latest promotion?

4. Perhaps our "Section 9" is also your character's first job since the months/years it took your character to recover and learn to use their new body? More eyes than usual would be on your character then, I imagine, as no one wants to be responsible for something in your character's body going wrong.

5. A possible Hook/Line/Sinker series of adventures involving the movie star/government hotshot/literary idol or whomever it is whose life your character altered for the better. Even if it were side adventures. "Keanu Reeves" calls up and says, "Hey! Hero! Want to make a few extra credits? My director wants our film crew outside the Republic of Japan for one big scene for our next mega-hit except none of the security companies we know are brave enough to go out there with us. We hear its dangerous territory, but it's worth it! But you face this stuff all of the time, right? Are you up for it? It would be good to see you again!" Etc. etc. etc. =)

6. Another possibility here. What if the guy at the wheel of the "out of control" automobile was, in fact, a demon in disguise (or in possession of a human) who was actually in the act of trying to kill "Keanu Reeves" or his girlfriend or both... and YOU foiled his master plan with your meddling! Now this supernatural evil is after you! But we don't know about it! Oh noes! As hard as they tried, the cops never found the supernaturally evil source behind it all (because it seemed to know about their tech and how to avoid it!) Hey! Maybe it's one of those mystery cases maybe even our Detective Ando caught wind of or was in some way involved in? The one that got away... OOooOOOoooh! Hee hee. =)

That's all I've got for now. Time for bed. Again, use this, dismiss this, whatever you like! Thanks for taking the time to read it and I hope you found it worth your time.

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Dann has a point. Teh Frixz Teh Frixz Whatever it is that you finally decide on, it needs to be a good aligned character to avoid me losing my hair even faster than it already is lol.

Good for sure, but maybe good by virtue of being in a position of all they have left. The Oni lore says they have a very honor and shame based culture and will commit suicide rather than dishonor. The thought was maybe this is a slow, painful, drawn out suicide. Give yourself a fated death and ensure pain by helping your enemies? Sort of a service based Seppuku

Sherwood Sherwood Teh Frixz Teh Frixz

Good for sure, but maybe good by virtue of being in a position of all they have left. The Oni lore says they have a very honor and shame based culture and will commit suicide rather than dishonor. The thought was maybe this is a slow, painful, drawn out suicide. Give yourself a fated death and ensure pain by helping your enemies? Sort of a service based Seppuku.
That's a neat way of putting it. I think it is also a neat concept except it collides with the setting Sherwood has provided, and pretty hard at that. I'm not saying I don't think it would work; I'm saying it might turn out to be a big-time hassle for our team.

"What?" our bosses exclaim. "We send you out to find and destroy supernatural evil and you bring home a demon with the intent of letting it join your team? Are you trying to make us look like the biggest fools in Japan? Do we need to get someone else to perform this important duty?" Stuff like that.

The concept itself is not an unknown one. There is an R.C.C. (Racial Character Class) in Mystic China, p. 56 called the Reformed Demon. If played honestly, it is (get this!) a demon who honestly and earnestly wants to leave behind demonhood. There are only 10 levels to the class (nearly all others top out at 15). With every level, the demon literally becomes more and more human. Its horns begin to drop off (literally!). It loses some of its demonic abilities. A true Reformed Demon sees becoming a human as a goal, not just some way to end its life nor is it probably sad about losing its evil powers. Even at 1st level, a Reformed Demon is bad as hell (that was a pun!) in combat, but...

... I don't imagine this could work in the setting Sherwood has provided us. The first people your character would have to convince is Psychie's dragon-become-evil-slaying-monk and my fox-spirit martial artist/wizard who has spent his entire life evading or slaying demons. There is no question (at least in my head); Demons are the #1 bad guy type in Japan. They are everywhere. To play one in a city filled with humans who have suffered one way or another (they are Japanese citizens after all) at the actions of demons if not by demons directly.

Plus, I for one do not relish the idea of having to watch over this gal.

It might take over the focus of the game and that's just for starters. It might be fun, but I recommend that it be held to a vote with everybody on-board to have a demon in the party, reforming or not. For some, if played right, it is quite a fun thing to do - to reform a demon (it happened in my own Rifts game to great success) - but... the situation (in and out-of-game) can quickly get as ugly as Jabba the Hutt on stage somehow wearing a pink speedo while dancing and singing to Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Hence my desire for a unanimous vote among all involved.

Here's another option? I feel it would easier (far easier) to play a Crazy with similar intentions. For one thing, Crazies are most often human. Yours could be Japanese. That's two wins right there for that kills the "we literally have a demon in our party" problem. The "demon" in the Crazy is her past. She has murdered. Perhaps she was demon-like or saw so much demon activity that she began to think like one and now, she is even crazier than ever. Maybe style-wise in the fun and crazy Riggs/Murtaugh combination of the fun Lethal Weapon series. (Link NSFW - Profanity).

Another tough thing for any team to have in their party is having to hear their "reassuring" bosses order them like this. "She's going with you and that's final. And cheer up! It's O.K.! Medically, the doctors said she checks out fine! Quite healthy! She'll be a devoted member of your party! She'll never go on another senior-only killing spree again! Er, well, probably never! Let her help you find some real demons!" I can't imagine the party who would unanimously be cheering that idea on. Heh! (Unbeknownst to everyone except the Crazy, the aforementioned murdered seniors were demons who stayed in human form after being killed. The Republic of Japan lacks the means to scientifically prove otherwise and - perhaps out of Japanese pride - they haven't gone and asked a mystic from, say, the New Empire about it).

The situation depends on a lot of things. Maybe the Crazy is damned good at hunting demons (or at least thought to be; we are 1st level after all). Maybe the Crazy has a personal vendetta against real demons ("You did this to me, you sons of--"

Yeah. Real Life is calling. I've got to go for now. Again, keep or toss these as you please. Love you guys and gals! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

If you're really sold on playing an Oni, Frixz, maybe an Oni Millennium Druid? If there's one thing that might result in Japan overlooking an Oni, it'd be one that was tight with the trees. It'd also provide a very nice compelling hook for why your Oni would be motivated to work with the team to find the missing tree.

Oh no it’s not a solid I WANT this yet, I actually think I need to catch up on the lore a bit. The source I was using for the Oni had them quite a bit different than what dann has described and the absolute last thing I’d want to do is disrupt any setting concept. We have Sherwoods hair to think about here. I will adjust things and see where to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back