• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I like the story. I will get Ando updated today and configured to be a Police Officer, and redo his back story to fit what has been discussed.
Eonivar Eonivar You like it that much? That's great! I was just hoping to spark ideas. This makes me feel good. Thank you! =)

Just read his backstory. Very deep, very telling! Eon, you never write "cardboard characters" and I really like that!

Again, use or discard as you please. As Sherwood and Psychie can tell you, I tend to be very detail-oriented and I spotted a few things. When I get Snowfall's character sheet done, feel free to tell me about any of mine? =)

Oda attended Policy Academy in Hiroshima while Reina went to University and became an Accountant.
(bold mine) Policy Academy! Ando is really in the business of helping people with their policies! Hee hee! =)

It was in High School he met Reina, they were a family meant to be at that time.
(see below)
About the time both of them graduated , Raina was pregnant with a girl, whom they named Mei.
Is it Reina or Raina, please?

Ado spent most of the time in a boat on rescue duty in the flooded river.
(bold mine) "Ando?"

He saw on the Empire side a flood had washed out one of the roads and had caught a wagon with a family onboard,
(bold mine, see below)
The New Republic Police Force recognized his new talents and assigned him to work
New Empire and Republic (or Republic of Japan)? This one confused me left and right when I first picked up Rifts Japan. Hiroshima is new to the Rifts world, right? Aren't they the "new" kids on the block? No, says the book. The "old" empire vanished during the Meiji Restoration Period and now this is the "New Empire." Okies! =)

This whole backstory just heaps on details about Ando that I find very telling about the guy. I love the very personal tone of it all. It adds depth to his character. All of this sounds true as well. No crazy drama. Just down to earth writing. I almost feel like I am walking alongside Oda through his life. I also like how he gave his daughter the pearl and now she is starting to "follow in her Dad's footsteps" as it were (where will this leave Mom later on in life?). It is sad to read about their divorce but I really enjoy how you've written it. This is serious business in his life and I can't help but care for the guy (and all three of them, really) as they go through it. I don't know why (I don't even think this is implied), but I just get the idea that Oda's grandpa is just a cool dude to be around! One of those old guys with lots of *something* that make him pleasant company? Maybe it's just my (overactive) imagination. Nice writing, Eon! I enjoyed this! =)

Sherwood Sherwood Did we ever decide on how we are doing attacks per melee?

Ando has 2 attacks from his martial arts plus 1 attack from boxing, does he get any more or does he just have 3 attacks (which I am fine with either way)?
Eonivar Eonivar Sherwood is allowing my take on Aikido (which I call Aikido 2.1). I have a non-Martial Art Power-based version of it in my own Palladium game that might fit Ando well? It starts with 2 Attacks per Round but unlike typical Aikido adds Automatic Dodge at 1st level. (I think I'll be using it for Snowfall + Martial Art Powers).

Also... I cannot help but be curious. What about Oda and the Symbiote? =)

Purr Purr

I will do my best to fix the typos, they is what I get for writing on and off between working.

Yeah...at this point Ando and Oda in his story are interchangable. Both names denote the same guy. In most situations he is "Ando", to family and close friends he is "Oda", to Mei he is "DADDY!" (at least for a few more years until she becomes a teenager...then she will see him as -note the exasperated and embarrassed tone here- "DAAAAAD!")

I will need to look up if it is Reina or Raina...and correct it.

Yeah, Oda's Grandfather is a bad ass...he is Grand Master at Tai Chi and a very proud Great Grandpa even at his age. I would not mess with his Great Granddaughter with him around. I will have to have more detail for him.

I love Tai Chi and have always wanted to learn it (but never got around to it yet). And it starts with Automatic Dodge..so that is why I went with that.

It is up to Sherwood Sherwood if he will allow the Symbiote...I figured with his armor and the ability to create with a thought invisible MDC Telekinetic barriers and having almost 200 ISP at his disposal that a Symbiote would make him a bit OP...but if Sherwood Sherwood allows it, I will happily take it on (if anything for more RP fun and being an MDC creature). He could very easily make it a part of his backstory.

I love Tai Chi and have always wanted to learn it (but never got around to it yet). And it starts with Automatic Dodge..so that is why I went with that.
Ah! Tai Chi is a lot of fun! I like it because it requires patience (this is no fast road to good health; it is instead a gentle climb). I like that it demands balance and if you're good, sensitivity! Who could have thought so much could come from so little? And it all begins and ends with something we do every day - breathing!

I also like it because of the personalities - the people who want to fight? They go to MMA or Brazilian Jujitsu or Boxing or what have you. There is no place for hostility in the Tai Chi I took. It was moving meditation that I use today, a peace-promoting activity that nearly anyone can do. It is one of those martial arts that brings people together.

I think the world could use more of that kind of thing. =)

But when it comes to gaming (where all of the bad guys and gals are made-up people), that Tai Chi Open-Hand Push Technique is terrific! I recommend placing your opponent's back to a flight of stairs, over a swimming pool, or maybe into other bad guys! Here in Rifts, if you have the Chi, I bet that dude will fly like he had wings! (Tai Chi was Snowfall's martial art in our last Rifts game here. Much fun!) =)

It is up to Sherwood Sherwood if he will allow the Symbiote...I figured with his armor and the ability to create with a thought invisible MDC Telekinetic barriers and having almost 200 ISP at his disposal that a Symbiote would make him a bit OP...but if Sherwood Sherwood allows it, I will happily take it on (if anything for more RP fun and being an MDC creature). He could very easily make it a part of his backstory.
If memory serves, it was ol' Sherwood's idea to reintroduce the Symbiote to his Rifts game in the first place - but I think I get what you mean - that is before the idea of the Mind Melter. Still, I would be surprised if your character did not have access to Mega-damage protection of great means given what we appear to have in the party already (combat cyborgs, dragon, and my Kitsune/Ley Line Walker).

Sherwood Sherwood First, how is your back? How have you been recovering?

I am at home from work today. I took the day off and since I am awake, I may as well be productive. And so I have a draft on "Snowfall 2.0." Enjoy folks and friends! I had a good time putting all that together! Heh! =)

What I think I have here is the basis of what I really want to play - a heavily martial-arts-based character with survivability and versatility. That it turns out to be Snowfall the Ley Line Walker ("Dragon Trail Walker?") is a source of much fun! But let's talk a little shop? The character sheet has lots of information and I'd like to run the "nuts and bolts" past you for your approval.

1. O.K.. First, the "dragon in the room," if you will. This build gives Snowfall a Chi/I.S.P. total of 356! He can only use this to shapechange (costs 1 Chi anyway), to use his Martial Art Powers (except for the Zenjoriki powers that now cost P.P.E. instead of Chi (sigh, but oh well), and he cannot use any of it for his spells. Only to activate Techno-Wizard gear (which the Tech-Ninja of the Republic have a monopoly on, so good luck with that).

2. (The following are not criticisms, but just things I would want to know were I running this game. I'm also writing this out for my own sake - to get to know Snowfall 2.0 better.)

Some of the major changes from Snowfall 1.0 and the Snowfall we knew in your old 9th level Rifts game include the following: No tattoo magic, of course, so no more Blazing Comet, Dimensional jumping and so forth. No Atlantean anything. No long list of weapons or items (but, boy were they fun to earn and new items and rewards await in the years ahead!). He goes from having millions of credits to a handful of thousands. Snowfall no longer has Supernatural Strength (he has normal strength). No combination of Tai Chi and my Hand to Hand: HEMA. And being 1st level changes him a great all by itself.

So... what is he now? Well, Snowfall remains hard to kill, but he's not terrific in terms of offense. He has gained in versatility! Unless you want this changed, I have him using Aikido 2.1 (my version) and Te (The Karate Kid Okinawan karate I imagine Mr. Miyagi shares with Daniel-san). With this combination, I can give Snowfall toughness without making him dragon-tough. He also has more martial options than ever (like Atemi powers which can paralyze an opponent). He has Chi powers (Healing and buffing himself). He also has Zenjoriki powers (he and Ando separately chose the extremely-useful Calm Minds which kills fears. I may change mine as to keep that field for Eon and Ando. Snowfall continues to have Karumi-jutsu (can decrease his weight to 15% enabling him to leap like martial art characters in the movies, fall without damage, and tread softly across floors and whatnot).

I have made an effort to holding him back and not choosing the huge powers that would increase his M.D.C. to Psychie's dragon's neighborhood. Snowfall has less than half of her M.D.C. and given his Automatic Dodge in Aikido, his penchant for acting like the prey-spirit-animal that he is, and his own magic and tricks, I imagine he'll be fine. If not, I can gain another power and buff him at a later level or change him now should you recommend it.

3. Losing Spirit Host, he's taken a hit to his Attributes, but nothing serious. After all, I got great rolls after all this time around - Yay! (The Snake Spirit Host added some extremely nice benefits, but hey! Snowfall is a Kitsune! =) ).

4. He has a handful of Weapon Proficiencies with Energy Rifle being his only ranged W.P.. I imagine this is where our cyborg buddies might shine? And hey! Being walking suits of power armor and armed, armored, and electronically-outfitted maybe like a UEEF Cyclone should have its benefits! =)

5. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Maybe I'll think of it later. In the meantime, I had a fun-filled time just writing up his character sheet with the gifs and all! I do like how he has turned out, but I'm not the guy running the game. Tell me if you want anything upped or downed and I'll look under the hood again. =)

So yeah. What does everybody think?

Last edited:
First, let me say that my back, while still sore, is getting better compared to yesterday. I have a bit more recovery to do, and I want to get into see the chiropractor before too much longer, but otherwise, I'm doing ok.

Second, I have an interest check from Teh Frixz Teh Frixz asking to join our little group. This will close out our recruiting for a time, and give us an expansive field of players to interact with.

Now, lets answer a few questions.

I am liking the idea of Ando having the Absurr parasite to help keep him alive and well in this mega damage game setting, even with your psi powers, the demons you'll be running into are no slouches, and this will aid you in times of need. That will also aid you in the number of action/attacks you start with; only having three at first level is not very much. Even our dragon-monk has four when using her staff weapon. The Absurr will have 300 MDC to it, plus the 4d6x10+20 MD that it transforms its host with.

Now, on to our foxy guy.

My only thought for this character is that he has a lot of attacks per melee; nearly double the next highest character. Not that this is a bad thing, it just makes your kitsune a lot more of a combat threat than before. Perhaps you could consider dropping your Boxing skill for a time? That would get you a skill back to put into something else, and slow you down just slightly. If you don't mind being the team's resident speedster, you can keep the Boxing skill, just keep in mind you will outpace the rest of the party.

First, let me say that my back, while still sore, is getting better compared to yesterday. I have a bit more recovery to do, and I want to get into see the chiropractor before too much longer, but otherwise, I'm doing ok.
Sherwood Sherwood Glad to hear it. Hope you can see the local "back-cracker" sooner rather than later. =)

Second, I have an interest check from @Teh Frixz asking to join our little group. This will close out our recruiting for a time, and give us an expansive field of players to interact with.
Teh Frixz Teh Frixz Frixz! I have to warn you! Our Game Master is craaaaz, er, wait, you knew this before you even applied. =)

Second, I have an interest check from Teh Frixz Teh Frixz asking to join our little group. This will close out our recruiting for a time, and give us an expansive field of players to interact with.

Now, lets answer a few questions.

I am liking the idea of Ando having the Absurr parasite to help keep him alive and well in this mega damage game setting, even with your psi powers, the demons you'll be running into are no slouches, and this will aid you in times of need. That will also aid you in the number of action/attacks you start with; only having three at first level is not very much. Even our dragon-monk has four when using her staff weapon. The Absurr will have 300 MDC to it, plus the 4d6x10+20 MD that it transforms its host with.

Now, on to our foxy guy.

My only thought for this character is that he has a lot of attacks per melee; nearly double the next highest character. Not that this is a bad thing, it just makes your kitsune a lot more of a combat threat than before. Perhaps you could consider dropping your Boxing skill for a time? That would get you a skill back to put into something else, and slow you down just slightly. If you don't mind being the team's resident speedster, you can keep the Boxing skill, just keep in mind you will outpace the rest of the party.
Consider it done! I was mainly putting that in for the combat bonuses (Parry, Dodge, Roll, P.S., S.D.C.) anyway. For what it's worth, neither Aikido 2.1 or Te gain a lot of Attacks per Round down the road. If folks want Attacks, better to go for Tae Kwon Do or Muay Thai. =)

Adding Ando's little parasitic buddy...

Sherwood Sherwood Could I get a 4d6 roll for Wrestling S.D.C., please? I've put it into the place of the Boxing skill. =)

Sherwood Sherwood Eonivar Eonivar Also, concerning our resident Mind Melter and Master-level I.S.P. recovery, I found this on the Palladium forums (on the 13 October 2007 post). The answers evidently come from Palladium staff (some of the questions on another thread were answered directly by Erick Wujcik).

Food for thought? Plus, nobody wants to be that person whom the whole party is waiting for while they "gas up the car," right?

Question: I have a Mind Melter, my first, and have just found out it takes 40+ hours to recover all my ISP (265). The only recovery rates I have found are 6/hr meditating. Thats way slow IMO. One of the players seems to recall that you can burn PPE for ISP at a rate of 1:2. That would allow me to cut down my recovery time as I have 60PPE. Cause if I can then every 6 hrs of meditation I could recover 156 ISP by converting my PPE to ISP. So is there a way?

Answer: According to Psyscape, Mind Melters have a special O.C.C. ability to restore 12 ISP per hour of Meditation rather than the usual 6. This was apparently omitted from RUE, but it's listed in the I.S.P. entry for all the other Master Psychics in the book. There's also the psionic power of Advanced Trance State, found in several books, including PF2 and BTS2. Other than that, while there is a psionic power called Restore PPE that lets you burn 2 ISP to get 1 PPE, there is nothing to turn PPE into ISP. Psychics CAN draw 1d6+1 ISP per melee on a ley line, but this ISP can't actually be saved up in any way.

Ando's MDC Roll 4D6x10+20 = 15x10+20 = 170
(Rerolling 1s)

Ando's MDC Roll 4D6x10+20 = 15x10+20 = 170
(Rerolling 1s)
I thought rerolling 1s was just for Attributes? (Sorry if I missed something; I'm kind of off right now. =) )

I thought rerolling 1s was just for Attributes? (Sorry if I missed something; I'm kind of off right now. =) )
Maybe not, ,I did not roll any 1s anyway. So it is fine.

Ando is done? I hope? Is there anything else I need to add to him?

Other than the correction to Meditation recovery at 12 ISP per hour, what is posted does not really answer the question does it?
Other than providing direction to other books, it really doesn't. However, if the one who answered is correct and it is an omission, then I like the solutions they tried to offer. =)

Sherwood Sherwood Eonivar Eonivar A few changes to Snowy's Martial Art Powers here if it is all right?

Could I swap out Snowy's Calm Minds Zenjoriki power (/silly on - so Detective Ando can calm the crowds of smiling ladies trying to get his phone number! Woooo! 8D - /silly off)? Instead, I'd like Vibrating Palm (70 P.P.E. to shake inanimate objects to pieces given enough time and concentration). I think the other Zenjoriki powers like Discorporate, Two Minds, and the like are a bit much, so why not go with a power that might get us good guys and gals out of a jam (or say, a prison if things go sideways some day?). =)

Also, for years, I have felt Chi Mastery's Body Chi/Kokyu is... just potentially overpowered even with its 15-second duration. I had forgotten that Snowfall once had Radiate Positive Chi, so if it's all right, I'll swap it out for that old power from Mystic China? (Boy, how emanating beams of pure sunlight came in handy in Central America against those vampires! 8D )

Finally, I would like to change up the Healing Atemi (which restores those knocked out, stunned, etc. to Mystic China's Enlightenment Strike (which, for the price of all of one's Attacks in the Round, cures possession or mind controlling spells - that is big time up Snowfall's alley and I don't know why his previous incarnation didn't have it)? =)

I've made the changes on my character sheet so you can see how they balance out, but if you don't like them, I can just as easily return them.

Sherwood Sherwood Could I get a 4d6 roll for Wrestling S.D.C., please? I've put it into the place of the Boxing skill. =)
Here ya go:

Sherwood Sherwood Eonivar Eonivar Also, concerning our resident Mind Melter and Master-level I.S.P. recovery, I found this on the Palladium forums (on the 13 October 2007 post). The answers evidently come from Palladium staff (some of the questions on another thread were answered directly by Erick Wujcik).

Food for thought? Plus, nobody wants to be that person whom the whole party is waiting for while they "gas up the car," right?

Question: I have a Mind Melter, my first, and have just found out it takes 40+ hours to recover all my ISP (265). The only recovery rates I have found are 6/hr meditating. Thats way slow IMO. One of the players seems to recall that you can burn PPE for ISP at a rate of 1:2. That would allow me to cut down my recovery time as I have 60PPE. Cause if I can then every 6 hrs of meditation I could recover 156 ISP by converting my PPE to ISP. So is there a way?

Answer: According to Psyscape, Mind Melters have a special O.C.C. ability to restore 12 ISP per hour of Meditation rather than the usual 6. This was apparently omitted from RUE, but it's listed in the I.S.P. entry for all the other Master Psychics in the book. There's also the psionic power of Advanced Trance State, found in several books, including PF2 and BTS2. Other than that, while there is a psionic power called Restore PPE that lets you burn 2 ISP to get 1 PPE, there is nothing to turn PPE into ISP. Psychics CAN draw 1d6+1 ISP per melee on a ley line, but this ISP can't actually be saved up in any way.
The 12 ISP an hour and the ability to tap (even a little bit) into a ley line are good things to know about. Thank you for sharing that.

Also, the changes to your martial arts powers are fine. I'll make sure to have you guys thrown in a prison cell at least once to make sure you can use the Vibrating Palm to escape. lol

Now, we have our newest player to consider. Teh Frixz Teh Frixz tells me that he's not played Palladium before, so it is up to us to assimilate him into our collective! Mwuhahaha!

Seriously, now. There are two different and distinct groups here that we are pulling characters from. The first is the Empire of Japan. They are the oldest of the two, and are more mystically bent, steering away from high technology in favor of more magic. The second is the Republic of Japan, which is just the opposite. They are very much a high tech group, dealing with implanted cybernetics and technological upgrades instead of the magic side of things. This is a joint team from both groups working together, so you can easily come up with a character that comes from either side of the fence.

Playing a human is going to be the easiest of your choices, but hardly the only one you can make. What are you in the mood for? High tech or magic for your background?

I’d say I’m leaning towards high tech but that’s just my bent, is there a level of restriction between magical old world beings and new tech? Could I Jam Pack an oni with cyber ware?

Magical beings lose their powers if they ever get cyber implants. One drawback to being a psycihic or magic user.

So there is a built in level of inherent friction between the two, might be an interesting trade off. Is there a master list in the books of what is available? I do like crossing borders but if not I think then I’d lean towards a pure old world creature just to add some spice to the not section 9.

Also, the changes to your martial arts powers are fine. I'll make sure to have you guys thrown in a prison cell at least once to make sure you can use the Vibrating Palm to escape. lol
Yes, but with or without the 70 P.P.E. required to use the power? Oh noes! 8D

Could I Jam Pack an oni with cyber ware?
Plus, oni are the bad guys!

Now, we have our newest player to consider. Teh Frixz Teh Frixz tells me that he's not played Palladium before, so it is up to us to assimilate him into our collective! Mwuhahaha!
Teh Frixz Teh Frixz Ah, I would like to use the correct gender pronoun here. Frixz? Not like it matters to a guy like me, but how would you like me to refer to you? With your often-female avatars, I was under the impression you are female. Not that it's my business. Feel free to not disclose this if you'd rather not! It's your business after all! =)

There are techno-wizardry bionics (Momano Headhunter), but even with that stuff you have to strike a balance between your PPE/ISP and how much bionics you take on so you can power the techno-wizardry stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back