• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
With those skills , you can also pick up power armor or robot piloting and pilot some of the cool mecha that the Japanese Republic has.

HtH kendo would be one skill above assassin, but as long as your are willing to spend the skill, you can get it.
Sherwood Sherwood Option? If Kendo costs the same as a true Martial Art system, why not go all out for Zanji Shinjinken Ryu (plus or minus the martial art powers as you see fit)?

Man, I have no idea but I’m thinking it best to do some thing a bit different than I normally play, just to flush out things and feel a bit more fresh. I went and looked on through cop/detective archetypical types and I don’t think we have any sort of techie-crime lab type. Someone who can be the field utility expert, do any nasty CSI work or provide basic repairs/fixes to things. So I’m leaning that way.
While that might be useful, it also might make you one of the loneliest characters in the team. In the manga version of Ghost in the Shell, Section 9 have a guy - Ishikawa. While he is completely battle-ready skill-wise, he is also one of their information hounds (think Netrunner in Cyberpunk or ShadowRun?).

Playing a C.S.I.-type might be fun as it might add to the whole mystery of the game (especially with characters like Detective Ando and my own Snowfall), or it may not (if we are truly going Ghost in the Shell in the sense of the animated movie). The former is more cerebral, but I feel it leaves the PCs who have no such skill-set or inclination out in the cold. The latter is more action-oriented (kind of like Masamune Shirow's Appleseed series - Briareos and Deunan hardly did any real C.S.I. work that I recall) and keeps everyone in the game playing together.

I’m not sure what is allowed and what isn’t so I think I’ll err on the side of discretion in terms of species. So my eyes drifted towards a Changeling or maybe a silhouette? Something that while possibly out of the norm, isn’t likely to be seen or noticed without effort. If that’s out of the question, then a human might be my fall back!
May I recommend something at least Asian? =) This game is based out of Rifts Japan, after all? If you were to play a human, it would be beneficial to the group as a whole (you would know the city like D. Rex's and Eon's characters, but differently, I imagine). Also, since this is your first Rifts game, perhaps keeping it simple is the way to go? Later on, change (or have changed) something about your character if you'd like to play something complex?

operator looks perfect! I’ll look it over some more but I like it a lot. Seems like a good way to lean
An ideal solution! Great thinking, Eon! Perhaps one with some cybernetics that help aid in the job? Perhaps your character knows GunMan2's, Eon's, or D. Rex's - or all three?

Sherwood? What are your thoughts? Would this work for you?

Teh Frixz Teh Frixz (And everybody). If you find yourself lacking in the Japanese folklore department, may I recommend the excellent Yokai.com? Talk about a cool website - the author and the artist are the same person! And he's good! =)

Was just about to say, while I’m familiar with some Japanese cultural characteristics, I had been leaning towards the more foreign and exotic (to Japan) to somewhat mirror my own ignorance of the system and setting, I’ll take a look at the site. It’s tough because I don’t really have a master list of playable roles/species/jobs/backgrounds for the setting so I find myself just firing blind into what might be difficult but fun.

I’ll check out the site asap!

Sherwood Sherwood Option? If Kendo costs the same as a true Martial Art system, why not go all out for Zanji Shinjinken Ryu (plus or minus the martial art powers as you see fit)?

While that might be useful, it also might make you one of the loneliest characters in the team. In the manga version of Ghost in the Shell, Section 9 have a guy - Ishikawa. While he is completely battle-ready skill-wise, he is also one of their information hounds (think Netrunner in Cyberpunk or ShadowRun?).

Playing a C.S.I.-type might be fun as it might add to the whole mystery of the game (especially with characters like Detective Ando and my own Snowfall), or it may not (if we are truly going Ghost in the Shell in the sense of the animated movie). The former is more cerebral, but I feel it leaves the PCs who have no such skill-set or inclination out in the cold. The latter is more action-oriented (kind of like Masamune Shirow's Appleseed series - Briareos and Deunan hardly did any real C.S.I. work that I recall) and keeps everyone in the game playing together.

May I recommend something at least Asian? =) This game is based out of Rifts Japan, after all? If you were to play a human, it would be beneficial to the group as a whole (you would know the city like D. Rex's and Eon's characters, but differently, I imagine). Also, since this is your first Rifts game, perhaps keeping it simple is the way to go? Later on, change (or have changed) something about your character if you'd like to play something complex?

An ideal solution! Great thinking, Eon! Perhaps one with some cybernetics that help aid in the job? Perhaps your character knows GunMan2's, Eon's, or D. Rex's - or all three?

Sherwood? What are your thoughts? Would this work for you?

Always happy to have prior connections!

D. Rex D. Rex Are you looking to be a combat cyborg, or a lighter infiltration style borg?
Oh yes! And to answer this question, since I'll be going with concept 2. Combat borg. With tech guru focus, and some piloting.

I'll leave the infiltration to the more dedicated ninja char. But I'll try to pick up stealth or camo to not be a hindrance.

Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Feedback requested? Feedback provided. =)

D., I honestly believe a merging of the #1 and #2 is most plausible and possibly a terrific lead-in for future side adventures.

Here's why:

The whole idea of the "VIP footing the bill" is very Japanese, especially if they were some very wealthy higher-up (or perhaps even better, the spouse or other relative, perhaps the wife and their baby were saved?). If the family option is taken, especially if the VIP who had the money were present (maybe they were there, helpless to act, but your character rushed in to save the day and got creamed in the process?). Oh. And to add some topping onto this multi-level cake we're building here, let's say it happened with the Republic's media journalists watching and sharing it with the rest of the Republic?

You want to talk about one honor-bound (if not personally grateful!) VIP! If this happened to a member of the military (even if they were the only casualty!), that VIP probably has two basic choices. #1 - Commit economic seppuku (suicide) by not doing anything and just taking their family home (tell me THAT wouldn't make the news!). Or... #2 - Look utterly fantastic in front of their family, their company, the military, and every single person who caught wind of that story if they didn't happen to see it live or on replay! Doubly so if the VIP were genuine about it all with a reputation to match!

Imagine what would happen if (and I pray this never takes place) during some movie-related gig involving the press interviewing Keanu Reeves, an out of control automobile came careening into the scene, and some military person (there for security), leapt into the chaos and saved Keanu Reeves's girlfriends life nearly at the cost of their own. Something like that. No expense would be too great to save that hero.

Plus, if you didn't want their name in the public, the Republic government could readily say, "we cannot release the name of this brave soldier out of respect for their family" (so the hero's family doesn't get bombarded by the newshounds, rabid Keanu fans, fanatics, random off-the-wall Crazies who now believe your character is the Chosen One, and so forth.

I believe the following might result (if Sherwood likes it):

1. Your character starts the game with one hell of a selfless reputation and a medal to match, but now has that reputation (among those who know or perhaps were there at the time) to live up to (which may be easy or hard?).

2. No bill to pay the Republic of Japan for the costs of becoming a full conversion cyborg. While many are seen as heroes of Japan (literally giving up their humanity for the sake of their fellow Japanese), you've also got folks out there who have to sign "x" number-of-year contracts to pay for all of that Cyberpunk chrome your new Body Player is carrying. Right, choom? But not your guy/gal. They're a hero!

3. Perhaps our "Section 9" is your character's latest promotion?

4. Perhaps our "Section 9" is also your character's first job since the months/years it took your character to recover and learn to use their new body? More eyes than usual would be on your character then, I imagine, as no one wants to be responsible for something in your character's body going wrong.

5. A possible Hook/Line/Sinker series of adventures involving the movie star/government hotshot/literary idol or whomever it is whose life your character altered for the better. Even if it were side adventures. "Keanu Reeves" calls up and says, "Hey! Hero! Want to make a few extra credits? My director wants our film crew outside the Republic of Japan for one big scene for our next mega-hit except none of the security companies we know are brave enough to go out there with us. We hear its dangerous territory, but it's worth it! But you face this stuff all of the time, right? Are you up for it? It would be good to see you again!" Etc. etc. etc. =)

6. Another possibility here. What if the guy at the wheel of the "out of control" automobile was, in fact, a demon in disguise (or in possession of a human) who was actually in the act of trying to kill "Keanu Reeves" or his girlfriend or both... and YOU foiled his master plan with your meddling! Now this supernatural evil is after you! But we don't know about it! Oh noes! As hard as they tried, the cops never found the supernaturally evil source behind it all (because it seemed to know about their tech and how to avoid it!) Hey! Maybe it's one of those mystery cases maybe even our Detective Ando caught wind of or was in some way involved in? The one that got away... OOooOOOoooh! Hee hee. =)

That's all I've got for now. Time for bed. Again, use this, dismiss this, whatever you like! Thanks for taking the time to read it and I hope you found it worth your time.

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Who wouldn't to be in the good graces of the best man?

Merging some aspects of both could be pretty doable.

This thought line is worth exploring.

So to do so, will start with a simple question for Sherwood Sherwood

Me making up a background, I got an opportunity to create some ties in with the world, its events, and NPCs.

Going with concept 2. Possible thoughts I could probably narrow it down into two paths of designing it. Or a combination of the two, however ill put both as separately explained so as to get my thoughts across a bit better. As well as to see which ideas you might want to see played out.

1. NPC ties: Entertaining Dan's idea, of incorporating the rescue or involvement of a VIP NPC into the backstory. This "sponsor" of sorts being what got Kim the conversion, earned by rescue, or some other event we can hash out. They could be of the nature of military or corporation. This would create more writing work on your part to make up new NPCs, but then again you may also have NPCs waiting in the wings that might fit the bill. This of course comes with the benefits of more personal connections for any of us to take advantage of if the need arises..

2. Event ties: Far more optional, but I left the event of Kim's initial demise vague on purpose. Given I don't know what conflicts or dangers might have destroyed a patrol so thoroughly (obviously the nature of her demise can change from a mission to patrol to even a skirmish, depending on the need). You might know a good fit in your world about what would be lore accurate. However, the potential arises for it to be plot relevant and make Kim's involvement more personal. For example, the attack might have been related to this current demon problem, perhaps having been decimated when it was stolen, been there as a guard, and now more duty bound to fix her failure. Or could be been something elsewhere, perhaps a diversion, or maybe even a prelude that hinted at demon problems to come, or other nasty involvements that could be foreshadowed. Alternatively, could also tie it in with other characters, to get more connections between the party.

Hey sherwood can you check the cyber netices that i added to my guy and tell me which ones i can and can't place on my borg

Researching Japanese Police Culture.

I think I may need to change Ando's title to Inspector or Chief Inspector.
I can certainly see inspector, but why a chief? Won't that make Ando responsible for more than just himself?

Why would a chief inspector join a group like our "Section 9?" Aren't we trying to not draw attention from the public (or at least as much attention as Section 9 tended to draw in the manga/animated movie - sorry, I never saw the live action movie)?

Eonivar Eonivar

So with the help of Sherwood, I’ve managed to start pinging down a character for this race to recover the stolen seed.

Still brief on details but I’ll start figuring out the history and character details now. If anyone wants to establish some backstory, I’d love that too. D. Rex D. Rex

But, basics, yeah!

A true Atlantean, born of a people with their land destroyed, fourth generation so young by Atlantean standards, a hint, maybe more, of that creeping Atlantean superiority complex, an Operator, technically minded but comfortable in the field. More to come but I’ll keep whittling.

I can certainly see inspector, but why a chief? Won't that make Ando responsible for more than just himself?

Why would a chief inspector join a group like our "Section 9?" Aren't we trying to not draw attention from the public (or at least as much attention as Section 9 tended to draw in the manga/animated movie - sorry, I never saw the live action movie)?
To be fair, I assume he is assigned to a different government agency and not a Prefecture, so he may not have a "rank" per say. He may just be "Agent". This team is probably a special case, and we are just debating details that really will not be pertinent in play.

I remember in the Ghost in the Shell SACs (I would love to find these and watch them again, does anyone know if these are streaming anywhere?) , Aramaki would often call Togusa "Detective"...I assume this is a cultural translation into english, and I would be interested in what Aramaki is actually calling Togusa here in the original Japanese.

Ghost in the Shell SACs (I would love to find these and watch them again, does anyone know if these are streaming anywhere?)
I did find these, both the 1st and 2nd GiG of this show are streaming on Funimation.

So with the help of Sherwood, I’ve managed to start pinging down a character for this race to recover the stolen seed.

Still brief on details but I’ll start figuring out the history and character details now. If anyone wants to establish some backstory, I’d love that too. D. Rex D. Rex

But, basics, yeah!

A true Atlantean, born of a people with their land destroyed, fourth generation so young by Atlantean standards, a hint, maybe more, of that creeping Atlantean superiority complex, an Operator, technically minded but comfortable in the field. More to come but I’ll keep whittling.

Well, first idea from hearing your basics. If your an operator, well I happen to have a tech focused cyborg. Well, aside from having hardware, you will likely have the skills.

This creates a good opportunity! Now I'm not sure if you plan to hang back in a safe place or come along, but either way, you can use the cyborg as field equipment. My handler, of sorts, where you can be connected to my system, where I can get you connected to systems and you access them through me, or you can upload information and schematics into me, or other such things.

As for background ties! Well again, being a cyborg, plenty of reasons we might know each other. Could have helped with my conversion, or do the maintenance, or been someone I worked with before the conversion, once was or currently are my handler, friends, colleagues, assigned as partners for the team, etc.

Also, now you all have me wanting to watch Ghost in the Shell again.

I did find these, both the 1st and 2nd GiG of this show are streaming on Funimation.
Huh! I know nothing about SACs or GIGs (I can be lousy with acronyms sometimes! Heh!).

Amazon has them for purchase and stream as well, not free though.
I don't mind paying; I prefer to pay - like RP Nation, how else can I support are the people who put what I love together? =) What are the titles I'm looking for, please? If I can find them for a decent price and I like what I see, I'd like to own it.

To be fair, I assume he is assigned to a different government agency and not a Prefecture, so he may not have a "rank" per say. He may just be "Agent". This team is probably a special case, and we are just debating details that really will not be pertinent in play.
Well, that would be a big benefit were he working for the Republic of Japan's government as a detective who went all over Hiroshima instead of being bound to one prefecture (I mean, I'm sure Ando's got his roots in at least one of them, right?).

I like how some of this is turning out. We have Hiroshima natives, each of whom who probably have different realms of experience and location-based knowledge, plus we have folks like Kimi and Snowfall who probably don't know much at all (I haven't gotten into what Snowfall's been up to since Terra's Terminators disbanded, but I imagine he spent a great deal of it in the New Empire, the spirit-world, and wherever Inari sent his Foxiest of Messengers!).

Any idea which clan your Operator is from? I'm asking because Snowfall was (prior to this game) trained as an Atlantean Dimensional Voyager (made it to 9th level). He belongs to Clan Aurelous (that small clan of marvelous and peaceful tree-hugging healers). As such, Snowfall holds a great love for many Atlanteans and will not hesitate to help them. =)

Sherwood Sherwood With my bringing Snowy in here, I think he'd have a different spell selection than Isamu, my snaky-boi. Would it be all right if I changed up his Ley Line Walker spell selections?

Also, now you all have me wanting to watch Ghost in the Shell again.
I know, right?! =) I've been watching scenes from the animated movie again and again for the sake of character development. Plus, it's just really good! I wish the second animated movie were just as good, but I feel the director strayed too far from Masamune Shirow's own original work in that one. The Appleseed movie (Appleseed Alpha), however, is just a blast! So, I feel, is the Appleseed 13 series. =)

Thanks for the Hearts/Love on Snowy's character sheet! That feels good! =)

Edit: In the spirit of hoping others feel good too, I added a few more past Haiku poems. Terra is Psychie's character, Zeph is Rykon's, Daisy is D. Rex's, and Shaona is one of Silanon's. =)

Last edited:
Always happy to have prior connections!

Oh yes! And to answer this question, since I'll be going with concept 2. Combat borg. With tech guru focus, and some piloting.

I'll leave the infiltration to the more dedicated ninja char. But I'll try to pick up stealth or camo to not be a hindrance.

Who wouldn't to be in the good graces of the best man?

Merging some aspects of both could be pretty doable.

This thought line is worth exploring.

So to do so, will start with a simple question for Sherwood Sherwood

Me making up a background, I got an opportunity to create some ties in with the world, its events, and NPCs.

Going with concept 2. Possible thoughts I could probably narrow it down into two paths of designing it. Or a combination of the two, however ill put both as separately explained so as to get my thoughts across a bit better. As well as to see which ideas you might want to see played out.

1. NPC ties: Entertaining Dan's idea, of incorporating the rescue or involvement of a VIP NPC into the backstory. This "sponsor" of sorts being what got Kim the conversion, earned by rescue, or some other event we can hash out. They could be of the nature of military or corporation. This would create more writing work on your part to make up new NPCs, but then again you may also have NPCs waiting in the wings that might fit the bill. This of course comes with the benefits of more personal connections for any of us to take advantage of if the need arises..

2. Event ties: Far more optional, but I left the event of Kim's initial demise vague on purpose. Given I don't know what conflicts or dangers might have destroyed a patrol so thoroughly (obviously the nature of her demise can change from a mission to patrol to even a skirmish, depending on the need). You might know a good fit in your world about what would be lore accurate. However, the potential arises for it to be plot relevant and make Kim's involvement more personal. For example, the attack might have been related to this current demon problem, perhaps having been decimated when it was stolen, been there as a guard, and now more duty bound to fix her failure. Or could be been something elsewhere, perhaps a diversion, or maybe even a prelude that hinted at demon problems to come, or other nasty involvements that could be foreshadowed. Alternatively, could also tie it in with other characters, to get more connections between the party.

Sherwood Sherwood

I know your probably busy, but gonna poke you on this anyway so it don't get lost in past pages. No rush!

Sherwood Sherwood Hey, Bud! How is your back doing? Did you see a chiropractor yet? Or do you still feel the desire to?

Terrific! Did a chiropractor have to help with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back