• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
FYI - I am switching out one of Ando’s super psionic powers since Palladium saw fit to completely nerf the Mind Melters best powers in this BS FAQ

I will be switching out pyrokinesis since “only Bursters can do MDC fire”

(and I am bitter one cannot fly with super telekinesis…total BS, one can lift tons of weight and mass but cannot lift themselves?!?!? Really Kevin?!??)

Eonivar Eonivar
(and I am bitter one cannot fly with super telekinesis…total BS, one can lift tons of weight and mass but cannot lift themselves?!?!? Really Kevin?!??)
Maybe you can?

Eon, buddy. Hold your horses.

Before you change the single thing, I highly recommend you talk to Sherwood Sherwood . He and I have been playing Palladium a lot longer than most and we have our own way of doing it.

Remember how we do Attacks per Round a little differently? Well, we also ignore that whole rule about Boxing only adding one attack per round while you are in melee.

Sherwood's Mind Melters and their powers might not be Palladium's internet-modified Mind Melters. I run rules like the ones you have discovered past him before I make a single correction on my characters. We discuss it first.

We do things differently in my games too. For example, the Action Points we're using? Those did not originate in Palladium. I found those in a Pathfinder website. I put those in my games and they worked, so now Sherwood and Psychie do too more often than not.

When in doubt, we tend to go by the book and when that doesn't make sense we will make up our own rules. (Psychie too if I can be so bold.) So, yeah. Ask Sherwood first, please? It might save you a lot of rethinking and writing! =)

Just an fyi, I just got to work and I'm away from my books, so a solid answer may have to wait a bit.

Sherwood Sherwood it looks like Pyrokinesis and Super Telekinesis. And that might just be for starters.

Sure, but in the meantime, I'd like to know the answers to those too.

Can a Mind Meelter fly using his Super Telekinesis?

Does a Mind Melter's pyrokinesis cause Mega-damage in your game? Or is it only for Bursters?

Just having the answers for those two might help Eon quite a bit.

two things

1. Pyrokinesis - can Ando use the 6D6 MDC fireball?

2. Super Telekinesis - Can Ando fly?

two things

1. Pyrokinesis - can Ando use the 6D6 MDC fireball?

2. Super Telekinesis - Can Ando fly?
I'm off the opinion that Mind Melters are at the top of the mental power food chain. Busters may be more powerful in their one area of focus, but that doesn't make them tops in my book.

I will say that yes, you can use the MD fire blast from pyrotechnics. Also, the ability of telekinetic flight is not a game changer, so yes to that, too. I'll just have to decide how fast you can go with that power.

I will say that yes, you can use the MD fire blast from pyrotechnics. Also, the ability of telekinetic flight is not a game changer, so yes to that, too. I'll just have to decide how fast you can go with that power.

Is the speed stated in the power's description? (I don't have my books in front of me either.)

Eonivar Eonivar Eon, are you in a position where you might copy/paste the information here please? That might help Sherwood out. =)

No there is no speed. The question of flight speed is asked in the FAQ, but the question is answered with “You cannot fly with super telekinesis”

No there is no speed. The question of flight speed is asked in the FAQ, but the question is answered with “You cannot fly with super telekinesis”
I think Sherwood just said, "screw the FAQ." =)

Off the top of the head, I'm thinking something that increases with level, like 80 mph +20 mph per level. That is a rough thought, butt it feels reasonable.

Off the top of the head, I'm thinking something that increases with level, like 80 mph +20 mph per level. That is a rough thought, butt it feels reasonable.
That is fine with me...I never pictured Ando going any faster than "Magneto Float Speed"

Sorry if my little rant came off a bit snide, its been a week. I am excited to write Ando though.

FYI - I am switching out one of Ando’s super psionic powers since Palladium saw fit to completely nerf the Mind Melters best powers in this BS FAQ

I will be switching out pyrokinesis since “only Bursters can do MDC fire”

Nothing stops you from telekinetically ripping the paving stone in the road you're standing on out of the ground and lifting it and thus yourself around. ;)

Sorry if my little rant came off a bit snide, its been a week. I am excited to write Ando though.
Speaking only for myself of course - not snide, but stressed. And perhaps disappointed.

Eon, if I were to guess, these are powers that you were very much looking forward to seeing an action with Ando. I might be equally frustrated to learn that my kitsune could not transform as they are known to do throughout Japanese folklore, all due to some website that was published far after the book his R.C.C. came from.

I appreciate you taking my advice and coming to Sherwood with it. That provided Sherwood with the ability to fix it in a way that is right for his world.

And now, your mind is free of doubting these matters! Hooray! =)
Proud The Karate Kid GIF

Lol I'm glad to hear that. An intro post is up for Ando. Others are forthcoming.

Purr Purr how wide would Snowfall spread the tale of how you helped to restore a God?

Why Clan Dhonnchaidh? What have they got (including flavor) that you like?

My god you guys post quickly, I just got off work and I’m already behind!

Clann Dhonnchiaidh, I don’t see a ton of information freely available but what I did see, I liked! How can you not adore a Gaelic themed culture, even more so I liked how they are supposedly limited in their dimensional travel. It makes the concept of one (an Atlantean) being away from home and the clan a bigger commitment. Possibly even a one way trip for a long time, it makes the commitment a noble endeavor. To travel and record her stories for the clan, to experience new culture and find the best of her own to gift to them. Even immersion in other cultures would be a wonderful thing to bring back home one day. I think it all lines up pretty well with the type of character I’m thinking of.

Lol I'm glad to hear that. An intro post is up for Ando. Others are forthcoming.

Purr Purr how wide would Snowfall spread the tale of how you helped to restore a God?
Sherwood Sherwood That depends on who was doing the asking and the circumstances.

Bragging about it a bar full of heroes? No chance - not even if he got him drunk. They have no good reason to know and Snowfall's confidence outweighs his ego.

Now... Inari or one of Inari's people ask Snowfall to share the entire tale with someone of Inari's choosing? The full story, every detail, in a heartbeat. Pull up your tatami mat and let's have some tea because we're going to be here for a while. =)

Sherwood Sherwood That depends on who was doing the asking and the circumstances.

Bragging about it a bar full of heroes? No chance - not even if he got him drunk. They have no good reason to know and Snowfall's confidence outweighs his ego.

Now... Inari or one of Inari's people ask Snowfall to share the entire tale with someone of Inari's choosing? The full story, every detail, in a heartbeat. Pull up your tatami mat and let's have some tea because we're going to be here for a while. =)
Trying to get a good plot hook for Snowfall. It's brewing up in my mind.

My god you guys post quickly, I just got off work and I’m already behind!
Teh Frixz Teh Frixz I highly doubt that this tempo will keep up for a long time. =) Like many games, the energy in this one is like waves on the shoreline and we're currently in high tide is all. To each game their own flow. All we have to do is... "just add water." =)

Trying to get a good plot hook for Snowfall. It's brewing up in my mind.
Sherwood Sherwood Hey Bud! If I had to create a reason out of thin air for Snowfall being invited to this group... my first thought is his background and skillset. Am I wrong in thinking that, out of the party we currently have, he is the strongest in terms of lore, mythology, and experience with things of supernatural nature?

O.K.. Yes. He IS a supernatural creature. But... in my head, his 750+ year lifespan surely includes trips to one of Japan's most famous cities (perhaps even back before it was named Hiroshima and became the ship-building historical city that it was known for. I mean... the famous World War II battleship, Yamato, was made in Hiroshima. I imagine the Musashi was too. How can a Japanese Japan-loving kitsune with three-quarters of a millennia under his belt NOT at least go to such a storied place if only to send post cards to his fellow Kitsune?

So... just the idea of supernatural evil being inside Hiroshima's city limits is enough reason for him to desire to go. Plus the added desire to see the city as it is now? Hmm.

I meant to ask these questions earlier, but I'll try to keep this reasonably brief. How long ago did Terra's Terminators disband? Would it be all right if Snowfall spent that time all over Japan? He remains, after all, one of Inari's own spiritual messengers. He could go wherever you liked for him to be (all the while collecting martial arts histories and all the things that would interest the professional chef he is now, having formerly been a really good cook back in the Terminators).

If some authority, say in the New Empire, prayed to Inari for help with this trouble in the Republic of Japan, and Inari chose to send Snowfall, then this whole thing might be wrapped up very neatly, especially if said authority was a high-ranking Shinto personage from Kimi's temple.

Or we might do something entirely different? I don't know what you've been musing upon. =)

And an intro for D. Rex D. Rex is up. Making slow progress to getting the game rolling with everyone together.

Detective Ando Oda had gotten used to the way that his superiors always treated him since he had gotten his powers, it was either like he was a dangerous weapon to be feared or like a kid who had some amazing but dangerous toys.

As soon as the Chief tapped his head to imply Ando's own "mental powers", Ando flashed the Chief a half grin, a knowing nod, and a finger gun.

Ando felt his symbiote, whom Ando called Ix, express an odd confusion at the gesture. Ando spoke in his mind to the being that was a part of him. Just roll with it Ix, it is fine, I suspect the Chief wants me out of his hair for now anyway.

And then a familiar voice came unbidden into his mind. "Daddy, Mom is going to call you soon to get your signature for a field trip for me."

A feeling of warmness and love came from Ix at the mental message from Ando's daughter Mei.

Mei clearly picked up on the feeling "Oh HI Ixy!"

Ando shut and open his eyes to try and maintain a neutral face despite the conversations going on in his head between him, his daughter, and the symbiote attached to his body, and the conversation between him and the Chief of Police.

Give me a second dear, Ix...both of you...I am talking to my boss at the moment, it is hard enough to focus on one conversation.

Ando felt a feeling of remorse from Ix.

"So yes Chief, I..." Then Ando's cell phone buzzed. Ando stopped, pulled out his cell phone, and silenced it without even looking at it.

Told ya she would call Daddy...

Ando recovered. "Sorry about that Chief, just my ex." He then continued. "You are asking me about working with the Empire? I was stationed in Shiso for five years, working hand in hand with them..." There goes the Chief again focusing on my powers and not on my history, I bet he has never read my file. "...many of their leaders are very wise. I received a commendation for a river rescue involving Imperial citizens. I have no objection at all working with anyone from the Empire, I have never had a bad experience with them."

Eonivar Eonivar Sherwood Sherwood O.K.. First, a disclaimer: I mean no harm. It is a good and fun scene. I am just confused (big surprise, given the brain I've got) and curious as to what is going on. Can someone please explain? I am having difficulty understanding the scene because I can't tell which characters in this game belong to Sherwood and which belong to Eon.

According to the above post, Eon is playing:

1. Ando (of course!)
2. Ix the Symbiote
3. Ando's daughter, Mei
4. Ando's wife
5. And apparently his police superiors. In the first paragraph, the Player appears to provide us with how all of his superiors feel about Ando and his powers in the first paragraph.

To be fair here, I have, with Sherwood's permission, played a single extra character from time to time (Snowfall's schizophrenic hydra Juu when he was a Tattooed Voyager and Gradicus's sweetheart-of-an-Anti-monster, Smoochie; both summonable creatures who were most often not in play). But is this a joint post between Eonivar and Sherwood? I mean, if this is some deal between Sherwood and Eon, hey! Great! Just tell me we're doing things differently and I'll be happy to roll with it.

I'm also bringing this up because I've had bad roleplaying experiences with other Players (no one here) playing or attempting to play NPCs. It never works out unless everyone understands the PC/GM situation and is in agreement. I thought we just had a similar discussion in Sherwood's Robotech game. Perhaps I missed something again?

Again, I mean no harm. I just want to fully understand what is going on. Because as things stand, I am suddenly... quite lost.

Last edited:
Purr Purr Sherwood Sherwood

I just portrayed the scene as I felt. Since Ix is attached to Ando I assumed I would be writing him. Although I can see Sherwood writing in if Ix senses danger or not.

Mei and Reina, I assume, only will occasionally come up. If there is any issue with it, I am happy to rewrite and adjust it.

If Sherwood wants to write those characters going forward he is more than welcome to, I just felt they made for an interesting opening scene is all, and I do not have to write them going forward.

Overall, I was not upset with the portrayal of the NPCs, knowing that the odds of the ex-wife and daughter coming up again are slim. There may come a time where I pull one or both into the game for a plot reason, but right now it is too soon to say. The same goes for the symbiote. I will use it to provide hints and warnings, but if Eon wants to include feelings from it in his posts, I'm ok with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back