• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Sherwood Sherwood What are your thoughts concerning martial art systems? I am trying to work up an Atlantean character concept and knowing would help.

Dano, that is a kind offer, but I think I like Sherwood's solution. For what would happen if you decided to change characters?

I was thinking it would be the only way you get a tattoo... I was just thinking a single one... just throwing suggestions out there.

remind me why they must be tied together?

I don't think they have to be, and to be honest... my character probably wouldn't want anything to do with you because you appear just as the monsters he aims to drive out....

They don't have to be; it was simply a better way for the preacher character to get to know yours. Besides, our characters would all benefit if we knew each other one way or another. This was just one option raised.

If you disagree, let it be known. =)

I think it would make for a more interesting party dynamic if two members were polar opposites but had to somehow work towards a common goal... all the while trying not to kill each other.... lol

in truth, it remedies a possible interesting thing far to quickly and backgrounds it, show me the anger, show me the disgust.

It's something people tend to be so afraid of having, let the hatred boil i say, don't you tell me you haven't worked with somebody you dislike before hahaha.

...I work construction as a contractor, i do so everyday...

that said, in a litterary sense it would be fun, plus allows empty air to be filled... As long as somebody doesn't pull a ultimatum immedately. The Anti-monster is a immensely pwoerful being and one who boasts considerable, as you might have guessed, anti monsterosity weaponry, abilities and still has fresh new car smell.

Well maybe not a new car smell.

But at least he doesn't stink, why he bought the air fresheners.

I was thinking the same. Besides, in post-apocalyptic Earth, there are a distinct shortage of good car detailers to be found. =)

So... let's dig a little, shall we, folks?

Orikanyo Orikanyo , what was your character prior to becoming an Anti-monster, or are you yet familiar with their origins?
Epiphany Epiphany Pips, how did your Blind Warrior Woman become a Mystic Knight? Then why join the order and become good?
Dano Dano , what kind of preacher are you playing? Why is he after supernatural evil when instead he could be just holding communions for the faithful?
Psychie Psychie , why would your Controller be drawn to the martial arts (whether we have Hand to Hand: Martial Arts or systems)? What types of creations does he or she like to control?

Sherwood Sherwood Are you allowing clans from the Secrets of the Atlanteans book and if so, would you mind if my character were of the Clan Marciniszyn (the hospitable artists and poets)?

Still working on... most things...

Sherwood Sherwood as i'm currently a newbie as per the usual rifts worlds, where would this anti monster had come from before? What would they had been? I'm not saying build it for me but, help me get an idea please

Orikanyo Orikanyo

Sherwood and I are old friends. I don't think he'd mind me lending a hand here, not the Game Mastering sense, but in the "I have the default information on-hand and I can provide it to save Sherwood the trouble."

From Rifts World Book Six: South America (page 34, The Anti-Monster O.C.C.*).

The Anti-Monster is a mystic cyborg - a creation of advanced trans-dimensional techno-wizardry. At present, the only place on Earth where Anti-Monsters are created is the Republic of Colombia. Although several Anti_monsters have been captured and experimented upon in an attempt to discover the manner in which they are created, not even Atlantis can duplicate the process (so Techno-Wizard characters shouldn't even think about trying to build one). Splugorth bio-wizards suspect that a god or a supernatural intelligence is the developer of the secret magic.

The Anti_monster might be related to the alien Holy Terrors (see Rifts Dimensions Book One: Wormwood), since the end result is similar: a superhuman armored warrior. Of course, Holy Terrors are all but unknown on Earth, so very few people have made the connection. Another possibility is that the process was learned from the extradimensional genius know as Doctor Articulus (see Rifts Sourcebook One) or at least from someone in the Doctor's home dimension.

To become an Anti-Monster, the character must be a minor psionic, a latent psychic, mystic and/or other magic practitioner. The candidate then undergoes extensive surgical procedures in which most of his bone structure and internal organs are removed and replaced by techno-wizard created bionic parts. The surgery is accompanied by a prolonged magic ritual, during which almost all the I.S.P. ** and P.P.E.*** of the character is consumed (retains only 1D4 of each) as the link between man and magical machine is established. When the ceremony is over, the metal components of the cyborg become "alive" and can heal on their own (see O.C.C.* abilities).

The Anti-Monster is a supernatural creature, able to inflict massive damage to vampires, demons, and other creatures of magic. Furthermore, the character's new body is enchanted with several spells which can be used up to four times per 24 hour period.

Vampires and supernatural monsters consider the Anti-Monsters to be their deadliest enemies and will do anything in their power to destroy them. At the same time, most humans and D-bees**** tend to fear and mistrust the mystic cyborgs because they seem so cold, merciless and inhuman. These characters are tragic heroes committed to defending a world that does not completely accept them. Surprisingly, they remain loyal defenders of humans and most innocent beings and are dedicated to destroying supernatural evil wherever it is encountered. An evil Anti-Monster working on the side of supernatural monsters is an extreme rarity.

(Definitions mine)
* O.C.C. = Occupational Character Class. Your character's class (as opposed to R.C.C., a character's Racial Character Class - a PC plays one or the other).
** I.S.P. = Inner Strength Points. The resource psychics like Mind Melters use to perform their psychic powers.
*** P.P.E. = Potential Psychic Energy. The resource magic-users like Undead Slayers and Mystic Knights use to cast spells.
**** = "D-bees" = Rifts Earth slang for "Dimensional Beings." I.e. non-indigenous creatures to Earth.

Actually, my Controller only has HtH Expert. I guess with the heavy focus on magic and learning how to control a Automation, I never had the time to learn a more complex style, even if I would love to have a dedicated martial art style. Unless Sherwood changes his mind, I'll just go with what I have.

Psychie - well, I don't remember reading that he had decided one way or another. I can offer help with my background, of course, but I can understand his desire not to want to overpower the PCs. You'll recall my defining the martial arts in our game - it was a delicate process of balancing, but I'm very glad with what we came up with.

I was looking at playing an experienced dimensional traveler, an Atlantean Undead Slayer that has seen his fair share of evil and dangers, but he's no veteran. Think Corporal Hicks from the movie Aliens. =) If Sherwood allows it, I'd like for my character to have some knowledge of martial arts, perhaps from Mystic China or Japan. As it stands, I've never played an Atlantean and as far as I can tell, they are much like Greeks in their fighting system, and in real life, I know of only one - Pankration. If we don't use martial systems at all, I'm stuck with only that image of fighting style.

I have other elements of my character coming along too, and some of them will also require his approval, but I think I can make a balanced character that I'm interested to play long-term. Such characters, at least for me, require a lot of work to form, but once created, are sure fun to play! =)

I would love to have a better Martial Art style, if I can convince Sherwood to let it go. A good, aggressive style would fit well with the OCC of a Battle Magus Controller. Krav Maga? Tai Kwon Do? Some kind of Kung Fu? I don't know what would be the best fit for my character yet.

So... let's dig a little, shall we, folks?

Orikanyo Orikanyo , what was your character prior to becoming an Anti-monster, or are you yet familiar with their origins?
Epiphany Epiphany Pips, how did your Blind Warrior Woman become a Mystic Knight? Then why join the order and become good?
Dano Dano , what kind of preacher are you playing? Why is he after supernatural evil when instead he could be just holding communions for the faithful?
Psychie Psychie , why would your Controller be drawn to the martial arts (whether we have Hand to Hand: Martial Arts or systems)? What types of creations does he or she like to control?

1538780459415.png

I am just wanting to make sure that we don't go too far, but then, I remember we are playing Rifts and it is designed to be able to go over the top. Ok, I will go ahead and allow the inclusion of the specialized, dedicated Martial Art styles. Once you upgrade to regular Martial Arts, you can then spend 2 skills to buy one of the advanced styles. No Automatic Dodge, though, so no Tai Chi or other soft art.

Purr Purr do I have your permission to copy the changes to the MA styles for replacing the Body Hardening Exercises and Chi stuff?

Orikanyo Orikanyo

Sherwood and I are old friends. I don't think he'd mind me lending a hand here, not the Game Mastering sense, but in the "I have the default information on-hand and I can provide it to save Sherwood the trouble."

From Rifts World Book Six: South America (page 34, The Anti-Monster O.C.C.*).

The Anti-Monster is a mystic cyborg - a creation of advanced trans-dimensional techno-wizardry. At present, the only place on Earth where Anti-Monsters are created is the Republic of Colombia. Although several Anti_monsters have been captured and experimented upon in an attempt to discover the manner in which they are created, not even Atlantis can duplicate the process (so Techno-Wizard characters shouldn't even think about trying to build one). Splugorth bio-wizards suspect that a god or a supernatural intelligence is the developer of the secret magic.

The Anti_monster might be related to the alien Holy Terrors (see Rifts Dimensions Book One: Wormwood), since the end result is similar: a superhuman armored warrior. Of course, Holy Terrors are all but unknown on Earth, so very few people have made the connection. Another possibility is that the process was learned from the extradimensional genius know as Doctor Articulus (see Rifts Sourcebook One) or at least from someone in the Doctor's home dimension.

To become an Anti-Monster, the character must be a minor psionic, a latent psychic, mystic and/or other magic practitioner. The candidate then undergoes extensive surgical procedures in which most of his bone structure and internal organs are removed and replaced by techno-wizard created bionic parts. The surgery is accompanied by a prolonged magic ritual, during which almost all the I.S.P. ** and P.P.E.*** of the character is consumed (retains only 1D4 of each) as the link between man and magical machine is established. When the ceremony is over, the metal components of the cyborg become "alive" and can heal on their own (see O.C.C.* abilities).

The Anti-Monster is a supernatural creature, able to inflict massive damage to vampires, demons, and other creatures of magic. Furthermore, the character's new body is enchanted with several spells which can be used up to four times per 24 hour period.

Vampires and supernatural monsters consider the Anti-Monsters to be their deadliest enemies and will do anything in their power to destroy them. At the same time, most humans and D-bees**** tend to fear and mistrust the mystic cyborgs because they seem so cold, merciless and inhuman. These characters are tragic heroes committed to defending a world that does not completely accept them. Surprisingly, they remain loyal defenders of humans and most innocent beings and are dedicated to destroying supernatural evil wherever it is encountered. An evil Anti-Monster working on the side of supernatural monsters is an extreme rarity.

(Definitions mine)
* O.C.C. = Occupational Character Class. Your character's class (as opposed to R.C.C., a character's Racial Character Class - a PC plays one or the other).
** I.S.P. = Inner Strength Points. The resource psychics like Mind Melters use to perform their psychic powers.
*** P.P.E. = Potential Psychic Energy. The resource magic-users like Undead Slayers and Mystic Knights use to cast spells.
**** = "D-bees" = Rifts Earth slang for "Dimensional Beings." I.e. non-indigenous creatures to Earth.
bless your heart.

So... A practicioner who went through this horrific ritual to become a vanguard of people against the horrific beings that dare try and harm good people. they would be a fellow with great will power to go through with this and one with a strong desire to protect, even when those to be protected consider them to be as monsterous as the ones they fight.

To understand this helps, but that pain can rarely be fully taken away that people would never be welcoming to him again.

But every pain fades in time, or in the very least one gets used to the stares, crying children and the occasional barking scared dog. A strong desire to protect, even at the cost of one's self, a true and pen-ultimate martyr.

All well and good and righteous, but god damn hes ugly.

Like, god damn.

beauty is only skin deep but you gotta dig real deep to find it here.

Okies... Here are some things I would like help with, please. =)

1. If my character (default name: Daxus Helios of the Shining Isle) knows martial arts, then I can select either Chinese or Japanese weapons as his tattoos (I'll go with one or the other). If not, then I guess he'll be like a gladiator out of Spartacus (gladius, shields, spears, tridents, etc.). In the end, it would be neat if he were a combination of the two (having started with the latter and learned the former from his travels). While gladiators are fun to a degree, I am kind of playing this Atlantean because they are a dimension-hopping people. I'd like to do some cool things with that as part of his origin if that's all right?

2. The animal and monster tattoos as they are do very little for my "fun" factor. Yes, it's nice to summon a hawk or a leopard, but... what if my character visited an alternate Earth where there were "robotic animals" that covered the Earth (as in Playstation 4's excellent Horizon Zero Dawn game)? I'm not going for a change in statistics or power - those should not change at all - I am going for something that makes me excited to use the tattoos. Call it a cool look and origin for flavor.

Instead of a typical leopard, this "Sawtooth."
Sawtooth-Render.png
(Image credit: Horizon Zero Dawn Wiki - Fandom )

This "Glinthawk" scavenger instead of a typical bird.
Glinthawk-Render.png

And maybe this Ravager at later levels instead of a normal tiger?
Ravager-Render.png

In the end, neither the normal creatures nor their Horizon Zero Dawn counterparts are "real." The tattoo magic just creates something that acts like one made out of ectoplasm. So why not let them at least look different?

3. I'm not entirely certain just what to do with the Monster-summoning tattoo? I get the idea that it's a Mega-damage version of the animal (a creature with animal abilities but nothing with above-animal intelligence), but what kind of monster might be useful? Should it be basically a "tank" (something to soak up enemy hits) or should it be more? Sherwood, what does your tabletop Undead Slayer PC do with theirs?

4. Weapon Tattoos. Sherwood, earlier you mentioned the 7th level Undead Slayer in your game is using a bow that does 6D6 M.D. per hit? How are they doing that, please? Knowing will help me select good weapons. I definitely don't want to play an all-melee character because there are some threats that just need to be taken out at a distance (who else knows what a Gelatinous Cube or Rust Monster from D&D is? =) ).

5. What types of weapons and gear do you recommend we get or go after?

That's all I can think of for now...

bless your heart.

You're welcome. I like to help. =)

beauty is only skin deep but you gotta dig real deep to find it here.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." - Old adage. =)

I think you have a good grasp of the Anti-Monster thus far, Orikanyo. Keep in mind, of course, that information is just what is in the book - Sherwood may or may not have changed things. If he hasn't, here are some things (put briefly) from the book to keep in mind:

1. Inhuman Appearance: Anti-Monsters are 7 feet tall weighing in at 400 pounds. They have an automatic Horror Factor effect of some potency (their very presence causes people to "save versus Fear", if you will).
2. Debilitating Complications & Death: Something to worry about only if the character is played for years; there is a small chance the elements that put them together may come apart. That is as bad as it sounds, but I doubt somehow that you'll have to worry about it.
3. A loss of humanity: They tend to forget about human necessities (like eating, resting, etc.). Half of them get impatient and intolerant of human frailties and weaknesses.
4. Insanities: 80% of all Anti-monsters develop an obsession. Anything from destroying undead, all supernatural evil, protecting humans and innocent D-bees, or something random, or pick one and roll for an additional obsession. (The book says "Roll or pick one" but I think that's up to Sherwood).

Anti-Monsters are not hot on skill selections, but they are hell-on-wheels (heaven-on-wheels?) when it comes to tracking down and crushing evil supernatural beings. =)

One last reminder - all this is just from the book and up to Sherwood's approval. Anti-Monsters may work differently in his game.

hmm, I see.... i shall give it thought.

likely, he shall hide his form in... polite.. company, not all needs to see what has been done, but those who need to must fear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back