• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
That's how I felt when I first saw that art! =)

How can Snowfall go about making this a reality for him?

Alrighty, lemme join the discussion real quick - getting late here, but I heard it might be related to my character choice or something... the thoughts are in no particular order, I think...
So, first off : There's a ton of stuff I do like about Shaona - but I'm looking for a bit of a different mindset and approach for a change. That doesn't necessarily mean a different role in the team - as Dann figured out, I do like my supporting characters. It's more about the way to do things.
In Shaona's case, the main themes were high-tech and magic, to different degrees during the rp. Think I want to leave both, or at least one of them behind. Probably no magic for once; preferably nothing that solely relies on superior tech, either, so no glitterboy/mecha/robot (sorry, Rex, thanks for the suggestions tho!).
Leaves psionics as a likely option, though I'm open for other stuff that allows for a different worldview than the usual one. You know, mystic, tw etc have that point that lets them think differently from most others, in their own ways, and I like that part. Also means that I'm not too interested in the standard soldier classes that are out there, and also means that any dbee is worth a second thought.
Alignment is clearly going to be good, no worries there. Not sure yet which exact variety, I'll see. Don't mind characters with a particular doctrine (think paladin, monk) if they're a bit off the norm, but wouldn't want to go with the classical coalition, for example.
I usually prefer elegance over brute force - so probably not the bulky giant that stands in the first row, or the kind of creature that overpowers by pure strength (think dragons, minotaur). Though maybe there's something out there that gets me excited, who knows. MA's are certainly a great option if they fit in. Clearly preferred over a character who simply uses the best gun available at all times. One thing I liked about Shaona was that "I just shoot, I guess" was rarely the obvious choice, I like having another option at hand.
Mystical beings etc are generally on the table;I usually prefer those inspired by the more western culture, with some exceptions in-between.
That's all I can think of right now, more tomorrow ;thanks for the suggestions thus far already.

A Cyber Knight is a good choice; they have a variety of psi powers, and they are a good mix of skills and powers.

That's how I felt when I first saw that art! =)

How can Snowfall go about making this a reality for him?
I believe that after discussing it with the were-jaguar clan, you will be able to see that potential inside you and tap into it.

Thank you, Sherwood! Cool beans! Wooo! I'll add it to his character sheet after we chat with Jaguar people! That makes my day! 8D

Cyber-Knights are fun, mostly good-hearted, powerful, with deep RP history but I wonder if it's the class that Sil will like most? Their code doesn't leave much room for imagination (meaning, I think the PC had better like it because like Paladins, it's what Cyber-Knights do). Cyber-Knights also have Hand to Hand: Martial Arts (if memory serves, Sir Dru had Hand to Hand: Zanji Shinjinken Ryu from Ninjas & Superspies probably because that's one of the few sword-based martial arts out there and definitely the most popular in my experience. But there are others. I've always wondered why no one ever wrote up European fencing styles as a Martial Art? I might do that sometime for the fun and learning? But I digress).

Sil, it sounds like you're looking for fun with options. With Cyber-Knights, it's either use their skills (and they do come with some education), psionic powers (mostly battle-oriented), or go and beat it up. While the new car smell might be nice, I don't know how much mileage you'll get out of this hot rod?

There are many other psionic classes out there, most don't have codes to follow, and the ones I've seen are sometimes so far into psionics, they don't have much else (like the Mind Melter). What are some other psionic O.C.C.s out there with options? Or perhaps, what are some fun R.C.C./O.C.C. combinations that will light our buddy SIl's imagination on fire (the way Snowfall and Gradicus have done for me)?

If you are looking for something with psi powers and not wanting to go with the classic Burster or Mind Melter, there are a number of other classes that offer up options. The Crazy has a small selection of powers, along with the added flavor of their mental disorders. I would say a dragon would be good, but we already have one. Hmmm. There is a whole bunch of races listed in the book DBees of North America. I'm sure that there are many options in there that would be interesting.

One race I suggested that is rather unusual is the Dirari, also known as the Ecto-Men.

1594248805478.png

The orb up at the top is the actual being; the rest is a ectoplasmic body that they make to be able to interact with the physical world. They are top rate mentalists.

Neat! Never heard of them. Which book?

Yeah, but what's a class that has one heck of a "toolbox"? I bet Sil would like that sort of O.C.C./R.C.C..

Neat! Never heard of them. Which book?
DBees of North America. The Dirari are normally a bunch of scoundrels, but I would let Silanon play the less common 'good' aligned ones if he is interested.

Cyberknights might be a good call - a bit away from the things I usually play, and with a great theme. I'll have to take a closer look at their oaths etc though, see if there's enough wiggle room for me to be happy.
The traditional psykers never quite got there for me since they felt a bit one-dimensional at first glance; I'll take a look at them again, though, if only to see what I might like about their kit.
Will certainly look at the dbee book, see what gems are hidden in there.
So more to come, thanks for the suggestions.

Sure, Sil! Perhaps play a non-human Cyber-Knight?

Does certainly look like a promising idea - right now, I kinda like the combination of some psionics with martial prowess, not too convinced by the pure psykers I found thus far. Crazies actually look interesting, too, not sure how easy it is to actually pull them off. They look like a lot of fun when they work, though. For now, my ideas for cyverknights are definitely more solid at this point.
There's a ton of different races, so I'll have to take a look at those later. Gotta have to say though, there's damn much cool stuff out there. Not necessarily what I'm looking for right now, but damn - all those options...
For those more familiar with the matter - are there any other hybrid classes between martial and psionics out there that are worth looking at? Might want to compare a few more options if there are any... That said, cknights do look damn convincing, and I think the code is very much in line with most things I generally had in mind beforehand.

Short question, weighing the options: Does anyone have experience with crazies? I'm wondering how disruptive they become mid-to longterm, after taking a look at some of the respective insanity tables. Some things on there are pretty neat, others feel like they don't do much good for the team chemnistry. Kleptomania and worse stuff on there...
They're damn far away from the usual thoughtful characters I tend to play, but I smell some potential. Not sure yet if it's just because they're so different.

Heya Sil! Incoming brainstorm to help you with character creation! Enjoy, everybody! =)

There's a ton of different races, so I'll have to take a look at those later. Gotta have to say though, there's damn much cool stuff out there. Not necessarily what I'm looking for right now, but damn - all those options...

Yes! This is one thing I really enjoy about Rifts - you can, within balancing reasons, play whatever the GM will allow!

That said, cknights do look damn convincing, and I think the code is very much in line with most things I generally had in mind beforehand.

The Cyber-Knights are more than an iconic Rifts class, they are the paladins of North America and wherever they may roam. They've got a combination of powers and history that no other class has, plus they carry with them a reputation that makes them the instant allies or enemies of many (just like paladins in Dungeons & Dragons/Pathfinder). That can be fun to play if the player is all in on it.

For those more familiar with the matter - are there any other hybrid classes between martial and psionics out there that are worth looking at?

Oh, yes! On the surface, having martial arts is just a matter of having three skill slots handy and a GM that doesn't mind your O.C.C. having it regardless of what the books say. One could play a Mind Melter with Hand to Hand: Martial Arts as long as Sherwood gave the O.K. (and with the current party roster, I'd be surprised if he didn't allow a little change like that).

Going a little deeper, for classes that inherently combine, you might check out Rifts: Japan. They've got Ninja Crazies! I cannot, however, recommend many classes in Mystic China as they drift toward Chi powers and that's a place where Sherwood doesn't seem comfortable putting into the game (which is just fine! Rifts can get overly complicated in the blink of an eye). You might check out Ninjas & Superspies for any of their martial arts-containing classes (Dedicated Martial Artist, Wordly Martial Artist, Espionage Agent, etc.) and then play an R.C.C. that contains psychic powers. =)

Short question, weighing the options: Does anyone have experience with crazies?

Oh yeah! I've been the Game Master where my player ran an excellent Crazy in North America and I've had them in my games as NPCs. I feel that the core of any character is their fun factor, so I made all of my Crazies fun! Crazies are only disruptive if you make them that way. My PC, a creative buddy who loves to play the unusual, let me help him with his first Crazy. Together, we created this guy who had a really fun alter-ego complex - the guy was kind of a cross between Spider Man and Popeye the Sailor Man! He'd go about life like a Peter Parker, unassuming, low-key, and very skill-driven. Most folks had no idea he was a Crazy (he kept his M.O.M. implants covered up).

That is, until evil reared its ugly head! Then, he had to get to his Twinkies! The American age-old snack was the secret to unlocking his superhero powers! With the power of Twinkies, evil stood no chance! So, the character would whip out a Twinkie, gobble it up, and go to town with his Crazy powers fully "unlocked"! And boy, was he a do-gooder! He would have to eat one every 20 minutes (until the sugar rush wore off). His dream was to find a Hostess factory (the company who creates Twinkies and other snacks) and become one with it all.

As another example of Crazy funness, I created a gang of Crazies operating out of Manistique Imperium (before they joined the Coalition States). I wanted a bunch of weirdo space cases all united by a single cause. One of them got a hold of some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles media and the "Crazy Ninja Fucks" were born! Imagine somewhere between 30-50 Crazies all running around with makeshift ninja gear, complete with their own Japanese-style code of honor. Super-loyal, maniacal, and eager for action!

All the CNF needed was a daimyo (Japanese feudal lord) or someone to act as one and they were complete. They eventually found one and followed that "daimyo's" directives for cash and gear! It was great! They'd be all over the news just messing with bad people. The Manistique Imperium largely thought them a welcome nuisance that worked for the betterment of the city. The best part was, they were all very poor ninjas! Having no connections to Japan, none of them knew what ninjitsu was, much less covert operations, espionage training, etc. They were a unique merc group who got the job done their own way. Boy, they were fun to play!

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

If you are interested in a Crazy, I will say that I won't screw you over with your various psychoses. I want you to enjoy your character.

How about a crazy Cyber-Knight who runs into battle shouting, "HEEERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAAAAAAY!!"? (I am SO kidding here!)

"Here I Come To Save The Day"

Oh, dear Lord.

That reminds me of a scene I ran into a few years ago. A middle aged co-worker of mine had a teenage daughter that came into work one day, talking about a cool band that she just discovered, going on about how awesome they sounded with a real kick-ass beat. We asked her what the name of the band was, and her reply?

Led Zepplen.

We told her to check the copyright date on the album, because their music is older than she was. Her reply at this point was, "Oh, and here I was, thinking that they were good."

I almost had to be physically restrained to keep from beating the poor girl.

Hey, Sherwood! Since you're the older of the two of us, am I one of the kids too?! 8D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back