News & Updates Real Time Update

Hey All,

One of the site's most popular and yet inconsistent features is the fact that when someone replies to something, the post comes in a few seconds later without having to refresh the page. This feature is powered by an old plugin that we've been looking at replacing for a long time now, and we've finally succeeded. Replies to threads should be in real time currently now, as we've swapped to a new real-time system that handles it for us.

As part of this update, the following has appeared:

Screenshot_20230520_205001.png

You'll be able to see when someone is typing in real time at the bottom of the thread. This update also comes with real-time alerts.

Note: Private Messages will receive this update in the foreseeable future.

If you have any questions or concerns, or just want to see it in action, feel free to type here :)!

Oooh wow! I am currently typing. I'm sure someone's seen that.
Awesome job!

Neat function! I did see "Daisie are typing" (I guess grammar isn't its strong point)

I bet this is going to make rapid-fire RPs and discussions a lot more popular. There's something about seeing someone typing, and seeing their replies in real time, that encourages that. That'll be kind of interesting, lol.

I bet this is going to make rapid-fire RPs and discussions a lot more popular. There's something about seeing someone typing, and seeing their replies in real time, that encourages that. That'll be kind of interesting, lol.
I'd imagine so, yeah. Though it also makes me wonder how it handles edits. Time for a test!

Edit: The test is over now.

As I noted in the first post, this doesn't seem to be in PMs just yet, but will be the next thing. The developer said that's the next one he is releasing. Our old real time feature was so busted, ngl.

As I noted in the first post, this doesn't seem to be in PMs just yet, but will be the next thing. The developer said that's the next one he is releasing. Our old real time feature was so busted, ngl.
Hmm, I've noticed that it only seems to show you people who have started typing since you loaded the page, since I just reloaded to see the grammar update, and it didn't show me you were typing before you made this post, and it also cleared out someone else who started typing before I reloaded as well

Hmm, I've noticed that it only seems to show you people who have started typing since you loaded the page, since I just reloaded to see the grammar update, and it didn't show me you were typing before you made this post, and it also cleared out someone else who started typing before I reloaded as well

Nothing is perfect, lol. It shouldn't work like that (I think?), maybe it's playing catch up, I think. It is across the site now. But I could be wrong. Eitherway, its still a huge quality of life change to a system that was busted for years.

I have a question
Some folks (such as myself) have their activity set to invisible because they don't really want to be seen publicly as they're browsing and/or replying to threads. Doesn't this kind of negate that?
Is there a way to make yourself invisible to the all-seeing "x is typing" gods?

I have a question
Some folks (such as myself) have their activity set to invisible because they don't really want to be seen publicly as they're browsing and/or replying to threads. Doesn't this kind of negate that?
Is there a way to make yourself invisible to the all-seeing "x is typing" gods?

I'll double-check, I can see you typing because I'm a staff member. I assume it respects privacy features just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back