• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Pathfinder or 3.5? [Closed]

If you find a DM for either, I'm game. I don't know much about Faerun though... I tended to avoid premade settings as it usually felt like PCs were clean up crews and gophers for the Mary Sue brigade.

lol yeah, that makes sense. I'm game for a non premade setting as well. I just typically play clerics so it's easier to go with a set pantheon.

What sort of story are you interested in playing?

Honestly... I'm not sure. Most often I either let something strike me from the setting and play off or subvert that in the character concepts, or I draft up a character who didn't get a chance to flourish in their original game due to it being cut short.

Story comes from a mix of character and setting, with a heavy spicing of DM's prerogative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the fish out of water trope. Being from a foreign culture, of a unordinary species, or perhaps being from a great deal of time from the past. Being flesh to stoned ages ago, and only being restored by a necromancer wanting to turn a statue into a corpse, or perhaps being found in a dungeon under the effects of a recurring sepia snake sigil.

oh cool! That sounds like a lot of fun. Lately I've really wanted to make a necromancer and the Undead Lord archetype in Pathfinder seems like a boon but I fear I can't play any higher than MAYBE lawful neutral as that. My other idea is a character with an unusual alignment for their race, like an aasimar who's a rogue or a CG goblin wizard. I haven't been able to play any of these yet.

I know the feels... I've been wanting to play a CN elf barbarianess for a while now.

Welp, I have been GMing Pathfinder for some years, but I am afraid I am burnt: I made extensive homebrew campaign settings and adventures for a group of jerks that tore apart the work of months without caring of any kind of any respect (and no, it wasn't funny or entertaining at all to the point I grew physically sick and was forced to kick out those assholes, literaly, from my life). I have always GMed, so I have never had the chance to be a PC, and I have been acking, for some time, to play an aasimar paladin with the hospitaler archetype on a deep and story-oriented setting to actually EXPLORE the character instead of going around lopping heads like an idiot... *Sigh* But I guess dreaming is for free, after all...

Oh my god! I'm so sorry! Hey, if that's what you want to do, you should ^^ Maybe I'll go with the Aasimar rogue and we can be buddies ;D Either that or I'll GM ^^; haha. I guess we're going with Pathfinder? If you're definitely up for it I'll start the list at the top ^^

If you lot are willing to subject yourself to the will and whim of a mad man, I am willing to DM pathfinder since it's been about... Not sure.m. Uhh... 4 years since I last played 3.5? Not counting the Neverwinter games of course(fun as all hell)

I do have a small idea we can run off of, could even use the normal world of Golarion for it, partially wanted due to the fact I love how it paints the world but leaves so much untouched for GMs to play with.

I'm also offering to help buddy above me, I've seen way to many folk with the GM curse, and it ain't right how some folk can be so foolish to screw with yea for fun, so I put my hat in the ring.

Care to hear my idea?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . (crown) <-- DMing Crown

.. . . . . . . . . . . (O:)) <--Orikanyo

(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*)(*U*) <-- Adoring masses

hey yo its ori in the houuuuuuuuse!

see about the other two first then I'll throw my sales pitch, if not as GM, I'mma play like a player.

Orikanyo said:
hey yo its ori in the houuuuuuuuse!
see about the other two first then I'll throw my sales pitch, if not as GM, I'mma play like a player.
What's in the pot, Orikanyo? After GMing for 10 years to jerks who called themselves "friends" I am really up to anything. Also, Golarion is a nice setting that has a bit of everything (thought I must admit I never played on it, always went with self homebrewed stuff for my games because I hate to missrepresent something that isn't mine out of lack of knowledge, but that's me, don't mind me).

Hey I gotta mind everyone, everyone has their preference, and it's not like my canon will be true canon for the universe in question. I recently got of a 11 month pre made campaign, rise of t runelords, learned a lot about GMING from it as a player, what to, and not to do, what's fair and not fair. I learned from experiencing, also my GM then was new so it was said learning experience for all.

I'm doing a tiny bit of renovation of my room atm, just pushing things around and cleaning, will be abit before I throw my thing at ya'll.

Whynn said:
Oh my god! I'm so sorry! Hey, if that's what you want to do, you should ^^ Maybe I'll go with the Aasimar rogue and we can be buddies ;D Either that or I'll GM ^^; haha. I guess we're going with Pathfinder? If you're definitely up for it I'll start the list at the top ^^
*Haha* I wouldn't mind that, dear: my character might be Lawfull Good, but that doesn't means it has to be the boring one. In my view of things, a Lawfull Good character is one who prefers an ordered world where the common folk is free to be happy and do good to others, which doesn't mean such person is a blinded idealist that can't see that, in THIS flawed world, going against the local and FLAWED laws on FLAWED and corrupted governments is, many times, necesary and, many times, far more righteous and fair in the end when observed from the higher POV. So, as long as you have a GOOD justification for what you are doing, you will not have problems with my character. Besides, heck, a Rogue is not necesarily a thief or a burglar.

Orikanyo said:
Hey I gotta mind everyone, everyone has their preference, and it's not like my canon will be true canon for the universe in question. I recently got of a 11 month pre made campaign, rise of t runelords, learned a lot about GMING from it as a player, what to, and not to do, what's fair and not fair. I learned from experiencing, also my GM then was new so it was said learning experience for all.
I'm doing a tiny bit of renovation of my room atm, just pushing things around and cleaning, will be abit before I throw my thing at ya'll.
No problem, Orikanyo. And, awesome: I am also looking to buy the Rise Of The Runelords entire Adventure Path, so I am putting together my savings after I get my new PC (both things horribly hard when you live in a South American country). There are several APs I want to get to learn the "mechanics" behind constructing a proper AP. Once I made something VERY similar to one with an oriental flavor for one of the afore mentioned jerks. It was a gift from me for him because he always expressed how much he loved oriental wuxia movies, took me 3 months only to brew the first chapter, a heavy 50 pages script with varied possible routes, dialogues, etc. It did not lasted more than 2 sessions.

So, don't worry, take your time.

I like yea already, you seemed to have already went through the three stages of alignment, first, thinking the only proper allignment is lawful good, second, thinking lawful good iis the worst alignment, third, seeing that lawful good is more then simply CLEAVE AND SMITE and simply the following what is LAWFUL and GOOD, its as you describe, just because your lawful doesn't mean you have to follow a tyrant's orders. just because you are good doesn't mean you must spare all you face, the dead deserve justice for trespasses done while they were living. Lawful good doesn't also mean lawful nice either, you can be the grouchiest jack ass you can be, but still do good deeds.

To view alignment as absolute is foolish, its a base, not a full character description, it's something that you label after your done making everything about the character's ways.

I'll be cooking up my little idea now, do know that I am rather open to all ideas in character creation, just remember I maybe the DM, but you guys make the story...

And so ya'll know, if you gotta leave or are sick for some reason just bloody say it, keep tabs on the rp thread add it to your favorites and make a effort to stay in contact, if yea drop out without a word I am not merciful unless you have a VERY good reason.

and thats the most evil I'll go with moderating this, if you have a rather estoteric idea for a character, tlak to me first before you make everything and give me the puppy dog eyes like my avatar here, had a kid run up a Trox barbarian for a one off I was running in the nearby gameshop, I first asked him what the hell he was thinking (Which was of course I wanted to see your reaction) and then told him to make something different... kid turned out to be mouthy and an overall shit stain so I kicked him out.

You can be evil, you can be good, just remember not to be a jack ass yourself, thats what i say :/

Yay! If you're willing to DM, Orikanyo, I'll add your name at the top ^^ I'm so excited ;D Pathfinder sounds amazing ^^ and, sure, let's go with Golarion. I'd love to learn a new setting ;D What's your idea on the general plot?

(Btw, I got up a little late this morning, sorry for the lateness of my reply. I will generally be around earlier.)

SeemosYantra said:
*Haha* I wouldn't mind that, dear: my character might be Lawfull Good, but that doesn't means it has to be the boring one. In my view of things, a Lawfull Good character is one who prefers an ordered world where the common folk is free to be happy and do good to others, which doesn't mean such person is a blinded idealist that can't see that, in THIS flawed world, going against the local and FLAWED laws on FLAWED and corrupted governments is, many times, necesary and, many times, far more righteous and fair in the end when observed from the higher POV. So, as long as you have a GOOD justification for what you are doing, you will not have problems with my character. Besides, heck, a Rogue is not necesarily a thief or a burglar.
Exactly! In the game I'm playing off site our paladin takes the idea of Lawful Stupid to its fullest, not really exploring the other opportunities for Lawful Good. However, I've never seen anyone do a really good LG character. Your logic is sound. And, no, I wasn't intending to make a burglar. Much more of a disguise/diplomacy build. The girl I'm imagining likely has never stolen nor has she killed, so she will be fun to play. Making this one much more for the RP aspect than the mechanics.

A a diplomacy character, good to have truthfully, I was that in the rise campaign (before summoners became chained in the unchained book)

Orikanyo said:
I like yea already, you seemed to have already went through the three stages of alignment, first, thinking the only proper allignment is lawful good, second, thinking lawful good iis the worst alignment, third, seeing that lawful good is more then simply CLEAVE AND SMITE and simply the following what is LAWFUL and GOOD, its as you describe, just because your lawful doesn't mean you have to follow a tyrant's orders. just because you are good doesn't mean you must spare all you face, the dead deserve justice for trespasses done while they were living. Lawful good doesn't also mean lawful nice either, you can be the grouchiest jack ass you can be, but still do good deeds.
To view alignment as absolute is foolish, its a base, not a full character description, it's something that you label after your done making everything about the character's ways.

I'll be cooking up my little idea now, do know that I am rather open to all ideas in character creation, just remember I maybe the DM, but you guys make the story...

And so ya'll know, if you gotta leave or are sick for some reason just bloody say it, keep tabs on the rp thread add it to your favorites and make a effort to stay in contact, if yea drop out without a word I am not merciful unless you have a VERY good reason.

and thats the most evil I'll go with moderating this, if you have a rather estoteric idea for a character, tlak to me first before you make everything and give me the puppy dog eyes like my avatar here, had a kid run up a Trox barbarian for a one off I was running in the nearby gameshop, I first asked him what the hell he was thinking (Which was of course I wanted to see your reaction) and then told him to make something different... kid turned out to be mouthy and an overall shit stain so I kicked him out.

You can be evil, you can be good, just remember not to be a jack ass yourself, thats what i say :/
I'm glad you like my way to see alignments (which is mostly the same as what you describe: a behavioral guideline). In the other hand, like I said in the first posts, I am really not that interested in getting the +5 Sword Of Badassery and throwing out The Aura Of Instant Death. I have seen enough munchkinning IRL for like wishing to play a Pathfinder game to scalate in power. What I want is all the opposite: I want to be in the boots of this guy I have in my head. I want people to get to know him and him to get to know people.

The idea that has been hounding me these days is to play a Paladin with the Hospitaler archetype. I want to play this guy who has heed the calling of a superior cause. No church training or order, no glorious and prestigious family, no gleaming armor. In fact, I see him looking dressed in very worn, darkened, stained, and discolored garbs, a bit like Bard from Laketown in The Desolation Of Smaug (I'm planning to give him an Armored Coat). Despite this, he is not your rugged and brooding antihero. All the contrary: he is gentle, soft, and treats people with a cheerful and respectful disposition, almost as if he was the waiter of a most luxurious restaurant (the kind that makes you to actually want to leave tips). His looks would likely complement perfectly this personality, his an aasimar after all, so he is supposed to look unusually "charming", if not "otherwordly". This wouldn't mean everybody would instantly like him, only that he, possibly, looks "younger" or inspires a certain sensation of "ease to relate", like people quickly pet-naming him with endearing nicks like you would call someone who you can't really perceive as a threat in any way. Despite this, most people would likely not get past the fact of his poor and worn atires, being more likely inclined to think on him as someone potentially dangerous or desperate. This guy believes the world can be better, but considers that it will not get any better if the real cause of its problems aren't addressed, and he believes the cause lies in the heart of people and their suffering. He believes that the incapacity of people to learn from what life throws at them leads to suffering, and suffering leads to despair, and despair to evil, so he considers despair the foe to vanquish. As such, he firmly and profoundly believes that, methods aside, despair can only be defeated with hope, and hope can only be dispensed with mercy, which only can be granted through wisdom, which means understanding the suffering of others by getting to know them. You could say the idea is to portray that curious character that represents that good does its real work silently and without bombasticness, from behind the scenes, caring for the little sprout as much as for the tree, comming in the most unlikely package. But is just an idea...

Whynn said:
Yay! If you're willing to DM, Orikanyo, I'll add your name at the top ^^ I'm so excited ;D Pathfinder sounds amazing ^^ and, sure, let's go with Golarion. I'd love to learn a new setting ;D What's your idea on the general plot?
(Btw, I got up a little late this morning, sorry for the lateness of my reply. I will generally be around earlier.)

Exactly! In the game I'm playing off site our paladin takes the idea of Lawful Stupid to its fullest, not really exploring the other opportunities for Lawful Good. However, I've never seen anyone do a really good LG character. Your logic is sound. And, no, I wasn't intending to make a burglar. Much more of a disguise/diplomacy build. The girl I'm imagining likely has never stolen nor has she killed, so she will be fun to play. Making this one much more for the RP aspect than the mechanics.
Oh, that sounds lovely. A character like the one I am planning is someone who would have much appreciation for someone who can come to non-violent solution to things, even if that means lying or covering the truth in favor of a greater good. Besides, not saying everything does not counts as lying. You are simply saying... *hmm*... what is convenient. (>u>)

Well, it really sounds like the rogue will be the best build to go with in this. Why'nn will have to wait. I'll post the Pathfinder SRD and stuff in the top post, easy to find. Should I also link character sheets? And what level are we initially building do?

SeemosYantra said:
Oh, that sounds lovely. A character like the one I am planning is someone who would have much appreciation for someone who can come to non-violent solution to things, even if that means lying or covering the truth in favor of a greater good. Besides, not saying everything does not counts as lying. You are simply saying... *hmm*... what is convenient. (>u>)
Haha. ^^ In truth I've never made a character that didn't jump straight to violence... so a diplomacy build would be very enjoyable. Your character sounds very interesting and I'm excited to meet him.

Whynn said:
Well, it really sounds like the rogue will be the best build to go with in this. Why'nn will have to wait. I'll post the Pathfinder SRD and stuff in the top post, easy to find. Should I also link character sheets? And what level are we initially building do?
Haha. ^^ In truth I've never made a character that didn't jump straight to violence... so a diplomacy build would be very enjoyable. Your character sounds very interesting and I'm excited to meet him.
Awww, thankies. I don't mind beginning from Lvl.1. What I am more concerned is about the actual Ability Scores array. Are we rolling or using Point Buy? If the second, how many points available? And, in regards of this, I have found that (as absurd as this might sound), a 40 point buy replicates better the actual common results on a 4d6 rolling. When my players used to randomly roll their character stats, 18's were very common, to the point of a lucky girl having two 18s with a 15, 16, 11, etc. Nevertheless, I'll stick with whatever the GM dictates.

Also, I have a Word format that has served me lots in organizing detailed character information. I can offer that if you wish. Is a docx, so you would have to do the math yourself, but I can assure you would have your info well explained for calculation matters.

Also, if someone is gonna use magic, I have the Spell-Point Compilation from Rogue Genius Games which transforms Spells-Per-Day to Spell Points without it being broken (it has served me CRAPLOADS in making the life easier for spellcasters without making them broken).

oh? I've never done a point buy system... and I'm cool with starting from lvl 1 as well. I'm just excited to play a rogue ^^; I've only ever played clerics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back