• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy On Thunders Wings

"I think you are right: We need to prioritize the hostages. If you can get them that would be good, but I can't go with you. I'm not much of a sneak, and I would do better pulling attention away." Sylas sounded a bit grim, but determined. It was true, he was likely to get spotted, which would put everyone in danger, but if he could draw their attention forward, that would give Bea an even better shot.

"Here's the plan. Im going to the front gate and I will draw some attention. You sneak around the way you said, and when I pull a lot of them in, you grab the hostages and get them out. When you're clear, give a signal and I'll either run or fight. Got it?"

It wouldn't be easy, that much Bea knew, but she was determined. She nodded her head to Sylas, her face still serious and stoic facing the danger ahead. "Okay. I'll give a signal when Peter and Gladys are out. Try to hold off fighting the bandits as long as possible, if you can, and I'll come to help as soon as the others are safe," Bea replied, looking off toward the camp again.

When she turned back to Sylas she was hit with a suddenly strange pang in her heart. He stood there, equally as ready and willing to put his life on the line for someone else. His golden eyes were sharp and focused, and a bit of his long hair had fallen over his face, making him seem almost brooding. Bea flew upward a foot or two to meet him eye-to-eye and pushed the hair out of his face. Then, with a small, sweet smile she murmured, "Good luck and be safe."

With that, she flew off quickly, keeping her body low to the ground, but using her wings instead of her feet to glide quietly towards the camp (Stealth: 20). Like a dragonfly darting through the air, she easily and swiftly flew past the guard by the front gate and around the side of the encampment. She was confident that she remained undetected so far. She peered up the slope, the top of the tent just barely visible from her position. She edged a little further around until she was sure she was around the backside of the tent. She paused for a moment and took a deep breath, holding the inhale before slowly releasing it to calm her nerves. Okay, I've got this, she thought to herself.

Silently, she gained more altitude until she had crept up behind the back of the top of the hill on which the large tent rested. From here, she could see a bit more of the camp and its layout. In front of the tent, the hill sloped downwards, a make-shift wooden staircase leading into the camp for easy access. There were many other smaller tents in the lower area within the walls, roughly sixteen or seventeen total, but not all of them seemed occupied as if perhaps their forces had once been larger in number or maybe many were simply absent at the moment (Perception: 14). Also in the lower space below the hill were a few carts loaded with goods and supplies. Crates, boxes, and barrels were strewn about with little organization. Other than the guard at the gate, Bea counted five other bandits milling about the camp, but as she surveyed the area, a short cough from the large tent in front of her nearly made her jump out of her skin. So that's seven total, she noted mentally.

To her right, she finally spotted a fenced-off area that looked like a pen for livestock. Inside it, though, were three individuals who seemed bound by rope and gagged, one of them a woman holding a small baby. Bea's eyes widened as she found her target. Lucky for her, the hostages weren't too far away from where she currently was, however, they were completely out in the open for the whole camp to see and the exit was completely across the other side. There was a chance that she could fly them out the backside of the wall instead of leading them to the exit, but that would take time and they would likely be seen very quickly. One of the bandits wandered back and forth near the pen, keeping watch over the prisoners. Bea bit her lip in frustration. Her only chance was to try and carry them over the wall with her wings. It wasn't the best plan and Bea was not very strong, but it was riskier to get them across the entire camp to the front gate in one piece. Steeling herself with her new decision, she kept creeping around the side of the camp to the back where the pen was. Silently she hoped Sylas's task proved easier than hers.

When Bea fluttered up to his face and their eyes met, time slowed down for a moment, and everything outside of her lavender eyes waited for them. She drew some hair from in front of his eyes with a caring hand and a pleading expression: Be safe. He nodded, breaking free of the moments spell, and watched her flutter off to take her position. Sylas pushed every other thought and emotion to the side and focused on the job. His heart that had fluttered against his will slowed down to a focused pace, and Sylas turned towards the gate.

After a moment, Sylas rose and strode towards the opening and the man standing inside it, leaning on an ax and trying to pack his pipe. He smacked the butt end of the wood carved hand piece into his palm, dislodging whatever was inside and turned it out to dump out its used interiors. His eyes flickered up at Sylas's approach, and after his eyes met the half orcs, he stowed the pipe and lifted the ax.

"Hold there Orc. You're in the wrong place." Sylas could hear confusion behind his authoritative command. Clearly he was not expecting anyone to be dumb enough to approach a bandit camp, especially not alone. Most likely he would try to learn more about what Sylas was doing before simply attacking him: Sylas could use this. (Insight 23)

"No, I think i'm definitely in the right place. This is the bandit camp that raids this section of the Cerulean trail, is it not?" Sylas looked past him nonchalantly at the camp (perception 22) and saw a glimpse of purple flicker from behind the upper tent. Good, she was in place and no one seemed to notice her: not yet, anyways. Time to make a scene.

"Maybe it is." He said, lowering his ax slightly and snickering. "What are you going to do about it all by your lonesome?" He chuckled, clearly more comfortable now believing him to be alone.

"I'm going to tear your camp down and take down anyone who gets in my way." Sylas offered in a similar nonchalant manner. The bandit looked at him for a moment in confusion, before throwing back his head and laughing loudly. For several moments, he cackled until tears came to his eyes, drawing some of the attention from inside. Sylas could see a few more people appearing behind the guard, curious as to what he was up to. Good: more.

After wiping away the tears from his eyes, he turned his head back to the large tent on the hill and called up to it. "Hey Roland! We got a visitor! Says he's going to take us all down." He stifled more laughter as he called out, and the people behind him chuckled as well, clearly amused at Sylas's antics. From up on the hill, after a moment passing, a human man, about 5'10 with a thick but well groomed beard ducked out of the flap and strode to a stop at the top of the ridge. Unlike the rest of the bandits, this Roland was not laughing.

"Did he now?" Roland looked down on Sylas from his perch. "What's your name, stranger?" He asked plainly.

"Sylas." He offered in response, matching the mans gaze.

"Well now, Sylas.. We've done you no harm that I can recall... you must be here on a bounty then? I must confess, I've never known a sell sword to act so foolishly as to walk alone to the gates of a fortified camp. You don't strike me as having a death wish." The way he spoke was how some people played dragon chess. He found no amusement in the situation, and instead seemed to probe Sylas with each sentence and question, looking for reason and weakness. The more he spoke too, the more people approached, eager to observe the unfolding scene.

Sylas reached up to his shoulder and casually unloosed his sheath, holding it in his left hand but making no move to draw his blade: not yet.
"Come now, Sylas. Surely we can speak before resorting to bloodshed." He called again. "I must confess, you do strike me as a formidable warrior. I can see it how you carry yourself, but you and I both know that you won't walk away unscathed from this. Maybe we can talk this out." He opened his arms welcomingly, as if he was granting Sylas a mercy.

"I'm listening" Sylas returned, but his stance was still wide and powerful. Would anyone try and rush forward, he would be ready to receive and return three fold. Sylas took the time he bought with this Roland to size up the man and women gathering before him. Most of them bore weapons of basic make and repair, but none of them had any symbols or marks of magic on them, save the clear caster in the back. some of them had good stance, but it was clear that they were less experienced than he and relied heavily on numbers. The gate guard was the largest, with one large single bladed ax that jutted out and made a strait blade down, like a backwards r. One of them, the one with the bow, had two red vials strapped to his thigh: most likely their only healing.

"Is a fight the only thing you came for? If you need coin, I could make you an offer that wouldn't cost you your life. 20 gold to leave right now and forget this place. Or... if you want more... something more reliable, perhaps you are in need of more lucrative work. A lone man like you taking on this many people takes balls. Imagine if you had friends backing up your skill and confidence? Friends and real coin to lace your pockets. We could be fast friends, Sylas. I think you and I are very much alike." much of the amusement in the camp seemed to give way to confusion or uncertainty at the discussion. Maybe they couldn't see what Roland saw, or they were itching for a fight and didn't want to settle it.

"I don't think we're that similar" Sylas shot back. As he pulled the attention of what he assumed to be most everyone by now, he avoided looking at Bea's hiding place. Nows your moment, Bea. I'll hold them here for as long as I can: Just keep him talking. (Deception 17)

"You might think you are better than us: Look down on us maybe because of our profession? But whether or not you want to admit it, I can see that you and I are the same. Thinkers, fighters... people willing to get things down and with the confidence to follow through on it. We just look out for our own, and who can blame us with the thief king robbing every man woman and child up and down the coast to fill his own pockets?" By now, everyone in the camp had joined in watching the spectacle, and Sylas and Roland were the leading actors.

Bea continued flying, making as little sound as possible and gliding to even keep the subtle hum of her wings to a minimum. As she neared the back side of the camp she heard laughter and through cracks in the tall wall, she saw many of the bandits leaving their posts and meandering to the front to see what the ruckus was about. Even the man previously guarding the pen with the hostages eventually stepped away to join the crowd. Good job Sylas, keep them occupied.

Seizing her chance, Bea rose silently over the wall just behind the captives and settled slowly onto the dusty ground on the other side. Bea didn't want to scare them, so she snuck around to their peripheral, holding a finger to her lips, pleading for their silence. Peter noticed her first, his eyes going wide and pleading. Gladys did seem to get spooked as Bea snuck up, but upon realizing the situation she began tearing up. A third captive that Bea didn't recognize also finally noticed her. He was an elven man, slender with long, braided platinum blonde hair and piercingly bright teal eyes. He also looked like he jumped at the sight of the fairy sneaking up on them, but she shushed them all silently. "I'm going to get you all out of here, but you have to be quiet. Sylas is at the front, but his distraction won't last long." Peter and Gladys nodded, all three of them were still gagged and unable to speak. The elven man's eyes had gone wide as he began to understand what was happening and motioned with his bound hands to be untied.

Bea nodded and set about quickly and quietly cutting the ropes around their hands, allowing them to free from their restraints. It was then that Bea noticed that the baby in Gladys's arms was eerily still and breathing heavily. Bea bit her lip worriedly, now all the more determined to get them all out as fast as she could.

Bea started on the third man's bindings and once he was free, he eagerly ripped the gag away from his mouth. "Thank the gods, I thought I was going to die here," he said with a thick accent of some kind. "I can do magic, I can help! But I need my amulet," he pointed to a burlap sack of items on the other side of the pen. Bea didn't like the idea of spending any more time inside the walls of the camp than they had to, or having an unknown civilian try and help in this dire situation... but taking another look at the seven bandits crowded at the front watching a conversation unfold, she knew they were heavily outnumbered.

Bea took another deep breath and gave the man a serious look, "Do you have a magical way to help me get them over the wall?" She pointed at the halflings. "I can fly but I can't lift too much weight at once." The man seemed to consider this and nodded vigorously. "Yes, I think I can help make that easier for you with a spell." Bea nodded and without hesitation, darted towards the bag he's pointed out.

Luckily for Bea, the crowd was still distracted, but time was running out and they would likely soon grow impatient with Sylas and want to deal with him as a potential threat soon. She grabbed the bag of items and opened it to make sure its contents seemed correct. Sure enough, it was full of equipment and some sort of amulet. The contents struck her as the belongings an adventurer would take with them while traveling and Bea suddenly wondered who this elven man was. No time to worry about it now, however. She flew back to the group with the bag and tossed it to the man, who barely caught it. He scrambled through it, pulled out the amulet, and placed it around his neck, his eyes suddenly glowing with a magical iridescence. He mumbled something under his breath and move his hands in different gestures in Bea's direction. When he was finally finished he gave her a swift nod and whispered, "That should help." (Casted: Guidance.)

Bea immediately went to Gladys first and lifted her up, beginning to fly off the ground with her and her baby (Strength: 9+1 [guidance]). However, despite whatever the man had done, the small fairy was struggling to get much lift with Gladys. Her arms felt weak and wobbly with the stress of the situation. She landed back onto the ground, breathing heavily. Gladys looked like she was starting to panic as well, too afraid to speak and alert the bandits to their presence. Bea whipped her head to the man and hissed, "Really that's the best you've got?"

The man's face went pale and Bea felt bad for blaming him, it wasn't his fault. "I'm sorry, is there something else we can try?" She amended, looking a little sheepish for snapping. We don't have time for this, she thought, looking towards the front of the camp again. She couldn't tell how much time they had by the body language of the bandits. They looked fidgety but she wasn't sure if that was because they were growing tired of the conversation or were just on edge (Insight: 8).

The elven man replied to Bea, still in a hushed voice, sounding more defeated this time, "I'm sorry... there's nothing else. I'll try again." Bea nodded and calmed herself. His eyes flashed as he murmured the same incantation and Bea kicked off again with Gladys. (Casted: Guidance.) This time, it was still difficult, but they got much more lift off the ground (Strength: 9+3 [guidance]). Bea strained and focused with all her might and slowly, painstakingly flew over the back side of the walled fort, all but collapsing with Gladys on the other side. "T-Thank you, dear," Gladys finally managed, her eyes fully welling with tears that streamed down her face. "M-my husband, please, please save my husband too," she pleaded. Bea gave her arm a soft squeeze before taking back to the air. "I promise," she said, and she meant it. She'd protect them until her dying breath if she had to.

She got back over the wall where the elven man and Peter were waiting. She grabbed Peter next and started the same process of getting him over the wall outside of the camp (Strength: 18+2 [guidance]). She lifted Peter into the air with ease, seemingly getting the hang of it now. The elven man's eyes glowed, following her as she flew and she could feel magic empowering her and buzzing in the air around her slightly. It seemed like he was doing his best to help. Safely, Bea and Peter touch back onto the ground and he was not reunited with his wife. They embraced each other, and Peter's eyes also began to glisten with tears. Bea felt relieved, but their job wasn't over yet. "Go northwest towards the treeline back there and Sylas and I will come to find you when it's all safe. Stay well hidden and if you don't hear from us in the next half-hour, run." They nodded, with understanding, and started running for the tree line.

Once more, Bea snuck back into the camp where the man stood waiting. They were practically out of time. She went over to grab him as she had with Peter and Gladys, but he held his hands up to stop her. "Wait," he whispered hurriedly, "I can help. You're going to fight those guys right?" He asked, pointing to the bandits."

"If it comes to that," Bea murmured back, growing frustrated, they were out in the open and going to be spotted any second now. "We need to get you out of here," she grabbed for him again but he took a step back away from her. "You can't take them all on your own, even with your friend. I can't just stand by and let you fight when I know I can be useful." He looked determined in a very boyish and stubborn way. Bea wondered how old he was, he looked about her age if not a bit younger. She wasn't sure exactly what he was capable of or if he'd be more in the way than helpful. She gave him another glance over, he was wearing leather armor, much to her surprise and she'd seen that he'd come prepared for a journey of some sort (Insight: 14). She decided to place her trust in him and nodded with an exasperated huff. "Fine, but stay behind us and don't get killed, please," she grumbled. With that, It was time to give Sylas the symbol. She flew up into the sky once more high enough to where she could see her half-orc companion over the crowd. To be honest, she hadn't thought this far ahead, maybe seeing her staring at him was enough of a symbol. If only she had a torch or something.

While she was in the air, she noticed the man that had come out of the large tent. He held himself with confidence and a demeanor that seemed to demand attention and respect. He must be the leader. Bea stared at him, a bubbling fury lighting up in her stomach, and before she could do or think anything else, a burst of purple energy emanated from Bea and shot forward almost like an arrow, enveloping the man. It was seemingly harmless, but he was suddenly glowing with that same purple light. (Casted: Faerie Fire)

Well... That's certainly a signal, Bea thought to herself in shock.

-
Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 6.03.17 PM.png

Last edited:
As they spoke, Sylas watched as a familiar fairy floated up into the sky, and stretched her arms outward and cast a purple spray of dust, which shot forward and clung to Roland's form. He looked down and around in shock, then backwards. "What the... WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!" He yelled loudly, drawing his scimitar. His followers turned, looking back and drawing weapons, some looking shocked and others getting ready for a fight. Here we go Sylas thought, and he drew his longsword and cast his sheath to the side. The gate guard turned back to Sylas with a sinister grin and raised his ax. "I was hoping to cut you into pieces."

Before he could run forward, a bright flash of orange light lit up the center of the group, accompanied by a loud magic chant, and when it faded, two of the bandits were glowing similarly to Roland. parts of their form were lit up, which Sylas noticed as weak spots in the armor. That could come in handy. First things first was to get through this meat head, and then he would carve his way into Bea. Sylas lifted his sword to his chest, point facing outward, and he slowed his breathing, readying for the first strike.

Last edited:
As the bandit leader became alight with a purple glow, Bea watched as he called out that he and his men were under attack. All at once, some of the bandits began to look around in confusion, many immediately spotting Bea and her new elven companion.

"Faerie fire! Brilliant idea," The elf beside her exclaimed and ran forward to stand a little ahead of her. He uttered another incantation and streams of light fired out and covered two of the bandits in an orange glow that looked similar to what she had just done. Almost in response, a different bandit cast a spell of some sort, shouting in a language Bea couldn't understand as a burst of energy manifested and coated his body like glimmering translucent armor. A Mage, great, Bea thought.

She didn't have much time to worry about him yet though, as a man came running up to the elf with a rapier. "I thought I said to stay behind me," Bea grumbled, running up and kicking the man's rapier out of the way before it could make contact with his chest. The ruffian looked astounded and squared up to Bea instead of the elf. Bea smirked and swung with her shortsword. With surprisingly quick reflexes, he parried the blow, but Bea swung again carving a deep gash into his side (12 to hit [miss], 22 to hit [8 dmg]).

Bea had his full attention now. Good, eyes on me big guy.

However, just as she'd zeroed in, her battle focus taking hold of the situation around her, something shimmered into existence behind the man. A familiar dark shadow that mirrored her own visage. Bea's heart skipped a beat in shock. Her shadow was back and looked determined to fight. It was like looking at her own reflection through a dark pool of water, but the reflection's face never matched her smile.

The shadow raised a shortsword that matches the one Bea currently carried and plunged it through the bandit before her (17 to hit [9 dmg]). The man's eyes widened in shock and he coughed up blood that pooled in the dirt around their shoes. He was still alive, but fear had started to set in his eyes.

Screenshot 2023-08-12 152526.png

Sylas heard the resonant echo of spells being formed, and the general confusion of the people, turning into a whir of commotion for general combat, but his eyes stayed fixed on the man with the ax, charging at him and grinning. The man closed the distance fast, and Sylas watched as his body lunged forward, his arm outstretched with blade in hand. Sylas instinctively lifted his blade to parry, but the thug pivoted and darted past his defense and brought the blunt back of the ax smashing into Sylas's ribs. (Nat 20, 7 dmg) Sylas winced and slide back a foot from the impact, but turned to receive the next onslaught. The man was on him in an instant, unrelenting as he leapt forward, bringing his ax down in an over head swing. Sylas lifted his blade and caught the steel strike, the metal clang piercing the rising commotion of battle. It was a lighter strike that he anticipated; Sylas noticed he had switched to one hand, leaving his other hand to-

Sylas felt a force drive into his gut as the man drove his fist into Sylas's stomach. (dirty 20, 4 dmg) Sylas folded downward momentarily, taking a step back to make more distance. The man smirked and rose, cracking his neck and called out to the half orc. "Big guys always look tough, but you ain't special. I've fought and killed bigger." As he spoke, Sylas spit a small glob of blood into the dirt and wiped his mouth, and he stood and raised his blade again. "You're as strong as a spring breeze" Sylas remarked plainly, his eyes giving no hint of malice: only deadly concentration. The mans smile faded for a moment, and from behind him, one of the bandits ( a dwarven woman) rushed past the gate and towards Sylas and the man. "I'm here to help Skint!" She called to him, and raised her shield, but froze as he spat back.

"Fuck off Ila. This worm eater's all mine." His eyes narrowed on Sylas, never moving away. Sylas steadied his breathing and widened his stance. He gripped his blade firmly and let his own will begin to form and pass through the steel, which began to glow and spark with lightning, drawing a look of surprise and concern for the moment "Skint" noticed it. Sylas leapt forward and sliced through the space in front of him, meeting Skint, who instinctively raised his blade to to catch the strike. It was a good block, and it caught Sylas's blade perfectly. Unfortunately, it did nothing to stop the storm-charged steel from completing its journey. In a blink, his blade had cleaved Skint and his weapon into two pieces each, leaving his final face as a look of shock. (Natural 20 (second lvl smite) 37 dmg) The mouth of the woman behind him fell agape. In a moment of panic, Sylas watched her drop her shield and turn and sprint off towards the hills, away from the camp. Two down... He thought to himself, and headed towards the open gate and the bandits with their backs turned.

Roland, who had turned to take in Bea's arrival, now focused front again, maybe at the sound and light flare of the lightning. Sylas could see him notice what he had left behind, and he watched as Roland pointed at the half orc and cried to the next thug, a human woman with two hand ax's. "GET HIM!" He demanded, and she turned and looked at Sylas as he stepped closer to her, his own blade held ready. She looked back at Roland with doubt in her eyes, but after a moment she turned and snarled at Sylas, and charged him. The first ax came in a quick arc, and Sylas stepped to the side, letting it sail past him. (14 to hit, miss). she turned and swung her other ax, and he brought his hand up and caught the blade. (17 to hit, 4 dmg) Blood began to drip from his hand where he now held her edge firmly, and he stepped forward and loomed over her, and began to utter a menacing snarl. (Intimidation 21) Her expression dropped, and she began to desperately yank on her ax in his hand, to no avail. After several pulls, she let go and stepped back with her one last ax. Sylas took the one in his hand and tossed it behind his back, and advanced on the threats still before him.

Last edited:
Bea was still stunned by the sudden appearance of her echo's form. Her shock was quickly interrupted though, as an arrow shot forth and hit it squarely in the back. It dissipated and behind where it once stood, Bea now saw the archer and the mage looking her way, focusing on their next target. Bea yelled over her shoulder to her elven acquaintance. "Get the mage! I'll handle this one and the archer."

The man nodded, his long light colored hair coming undone a bit from his braid as fighting broke out around them. He spoke in tongues, raising his palm upwards towards the bandit mage, and twisted his wrist counterclockwise. A brilliant light formed and beamed outward, streaking toward the mage across the camp. The man dived out of the way, almost expertly avoiding the explosion of light that charred the ground and tent nearby. The light, to Bea's surprise, wasn't like any sort of fire she'd ever seen. It was a lighter yellow color and almost seemed... sentient.

The elven man frowned as the mage dodged out of the way, seeming a little shaken that he hadn't managed a hit. "Don't give up! We can do this," Bea called over, locking eyes with him for a moment. His uncertainty wavered and he refocused on the fight and the mage who was now dusting off his robes, looking very annoyed.

The bandit mage took a wide stance, clapped his palms together, and turned them opposite of one another. As his hands turned, three small orbs of light formed in an arc above them. He spoke a single word and suddenly the three lights darted forward, curving wildly around Bea and the bandit she was fighting to strike directly at her elven ally. It was almost like they knew their target and would find it no matter what trajectory they had to overcome. The orbs of light pierced into the elf and cried out in pain, holding his side that now bled from multiple wounds.

The bandit that Bea was locked with took the opportunity with the distraction to punch her in the gut, sending her stumbling backward. This opened up room for a strike and he lurched forward with his rapier, but Bea quickly recovered her footwork, dodging to the side. The bandit before her was gravely injured but still fighting like a cornered animal. Bea raised the pommel of her sword and struck him quickly in the head with the blunt end. "Go. TO. SLEEP!" She yelled, and sure enough, the blow had the man crumpling to the bloody dirt, unconscious (19 to hit [7 dmg]).

She stepped around him, narrowing her eyes at the archer next. He was near enough that Bea could close the distance and fight him, but she didn't want to leave her ally behind. Almost responding to her need, the shadowy echo of herself formed again. She was unsure of how it was still able to still manifest after being shot, but it seemed completely unaware of its previous demise as it stepped in front of the archer. It peered up at the man, whose face had gone pale as if he'd seen a ghost just before striking out its sword twice with deadly precision (19 to hit, [8dmg])(22 to hit, [5dmg]). The archer tried to block the blows, but to no avail and his makeshift breastplate began seeping scarlet through the leather.

The archer hurriedly dropped his bow and drew a sword of his own, swinging it wildly at the shadowy fairy before him, but almost as if it learned from last time, it ducked, avoiding the strike. He tried again, but he was getting clumsier, almost tripping as he scrambled backward to get away.

Two down, three to go. Sylas thought, focused on the woman in front of him, now down an ax. She held it up in front of her defensively as he approached, but he could see fear in her eyes. She had no death wish, and was not as aggressive as the man Skint had been. He felt a tinge of remorse, but he shoved it to the side until no one was in danger. He focused on the sting of his cuts and ache of the bruises: these people would kill him if he gave them a chance.

He struck forward with his blade, like a snake darting towards his prey. His steel slipped passed her defenses and slashed up her left torso all the way past he collarbone, slicing through the leather armor and sending a spray of blood into the air. (19 to hit, 13 Dmg) She yelped and twisted her form back, her free hand grasping her new wound in a mindless attempt to somehow stop the bleeding. She looked at the wound, then back at Sylas, and in a moment of fear she chucked her other ax away onto the ground. "Please.." She pleaded meekly, her voice shaking with the same fear and adrenaline. "I give up! I don't want to die." She cowered as Sylas stepped forward and looked her over. He sighed, feeling the same welling pity from before. In a moment, he reached forward and grabbed her by a collar, and brought his head slamming into her face. (23 to hit, 15 dmg) He could feel her nose lose shape and heard her yelp in pain and surprise before falling back onto the ground, unmoving. Blood trickled out of her nostrils and her eyes were shut, but her chest moved up and down in shallow intakes of breath. She was still alive.

Sylas looked back up at Roland, who had stepped away from the fight, most likely retreating back into his tent. Maybe he had fled like one of his others subordinates. Sylas brought his gaze back forward and took in the scene. Bea stood over one man, with her strange apparition striking quickly at another, both of its blades lashing out with mastery, keeping the bandit on his toes, backpedaling and frantically parrying. Bea herself had taken a defensive position in front of some elf with an amulet, who seemed to be aiding her, or at least fighting the bandits. Sylas would ask later. That left the mage, covered in some translucent hard light sort of armor that coated his arms and shoulders and upper torso. Sylas marched up behind him, getting within arms reach. The mage turned his head to the oncoming danger, causing his eyes to swell out of their sockets slightly. No more stood the defensive line he had had his back to, now only green muscle and stinging steel, and a nasty scowl.

"Choose to surrender." Sylas commanded firmly. (Intimidation 19) The mage lowered his hands, the light swelling in them only moments before dimming quickly. "Fuck all." He cursed in low tones, lifting his hands in surrender.

Sylas nodded and looked past him at Bea. "Sorry I'm late. Ran into some fans." He smiled at her dryly, just happy to see her mostly unscathed. "I'm pretty sure their leader ran into his tent."

Bea's echo-like form pushed the archer back until he seemed like he was on the verge of fleeing. The sight of green in her peripheral alerted her to Sylas's presence as he approached the mage, who quickly surrendered seeing that most of the camp was under control now. Bea smiled, relieved, at Sylas as he quipped dryly. He was hurt and had some large, glaring wounds, but he seemed to be moving around just fine despite the pain.

The archer tried to book it, but instinctively, the echo's arm shot out, grabbing him by the scruff and holding him in place. Bea quickly jogged up to help and hit him hard enough in the head to knock him out without outright killing him. It wouldn't be good to let the archer run off, unfortunately, due to his long-range attacking ability. Bea wouldn't risk the man getting brave again just as he was out of eyesight. He slumped to the ground and Bea nodded to Sylas. She turned, motioning the elven man forward. He seemed to approach somewhat reluctantly, looking up at Sylas with wide eyes mixed with admiration as well as a bit of fear.

The shadowy echo disappeared again now that the fighting was over, leaving Bea with many questions. But now was not the time to wonder about what she didn't have answers to. She turned to the elven man and looked over his wounds briefly. "How are you holding up?"

He nodded meekly, "I-I'll be okay," she stammered, putting a hand gingerly on his side. Where he touched began to glow and Bea watched as the punctures slowly closed, leaving the skin fresh and new. "Oh!" She exclaimed, looking at Sylas. "He's like you! He can heal. He was with the other captives and wanted to help."

She gave the elf a small smile, "Good work, by the way, but we're not quite done yet though," She pointed towards where the bandit leader had gone. She began making her way towards the wooden stairs that lead to the hill with the big tent. "Sylas, do you want to talk to him?" She whispered, jabbing a thumb in the direction of the tent.

Sylas nodded in approval as the young elf healed himself. "You're a cleric" He said with surprise and appreciation. The elf nodded, but his form was meek, and he seemed to almost curl in on himself while he spoke, not making eye contact with Sylas and messing with the bottom of his tunic. "Yeah, a cleric of light..." He offered.
Sylas nodded with thanks. "I'm surprised to see an acolyte outside of a temple, but we're both glad to have you here, and your help. I'm Sylas."

"I'm Kael" He responded while clutching his amulet. Sylas nodded and turned with Bea to head up the hill, grabbing the mage as he did so. "You're coming. I don't want you behind us."

The mage rolled his eyes and followed in front, hiking with them up the large incline. Sylas turned to Bea as she whispered at him, nodding. "Yeah I think so. I wan't to know why he was taking prisoners. I can't imagine they would ransom well." Sylas noticed as they were talking that the elf named Kael followed behind them silently. Coming to watch, maybe?

Sylas approached the tent and heard the rustling from within go silent. (Perception 22). Sylas sighed, and looked beyond the tent at some of the stacked crates and miscellaneous loot they had gathered: bags, pouches, spears, shields, and an assortment of other junk strewn about. Sylas reached down and grabbed a shield, sliding it onto his left arm and stepping in the tent with it raised. The sound of a crossbow string snapped taught and Sylas felt a bit of pressure as the tip of the bolt lodged its way into the wood of the shield. Sylas rolled his eyes as Roland's face drained with color and he began to frantically reload. Sylas tossed the shield to the side and grabbed Roland, throwing him onto the ground between them.

Roland looked up at everyone with a wild look in his eyes. "Well, I suppose you're going to kill me now?"

Sylas crossed his arms. "Well I don't suppose you would willingly turn yourself in?" Roland chuckled, rising up to a sitting position. Sylas looked around the tent. (Perception 15) There were bits of treasure and small boxes with things lying around. Judging by the state of it all and the quantity, they had probably been camped here for at least several weeks, if not longer.

"Turn myself in. Hah. You adventurers can't even be bothered to deliver your own quarry, lazy pieces of shit." Roland stood up, bracing his arm on a table and he turned to lean against it. "You know what I hate most about you? Its the righteousness." He spat the word out of his mouth like someone had filled it with hot piss.
"You think you are helping people, and maybe you are, but its not the people who really need it. You keep the trails clean for some well to do merchants so they can ship away all the goods and charge ridiculous prices of people who can't even afford homes in safe places. People who can't afford things are shunted into the wilds to try and survive, and feed the monsters you are supposed to be killing. And instead here you are, ripping down OUR home. We can't make our way in the walls, and we can't do it outside them either." He raised his hand and pulled his disheveled hair out of his face while his breathing calmed. He looked over them all with ire.

Last edited:
"We're not helping the people who really need help?" Bea snapped. She stepped up past Sylas and slammed a foot into the side of the table that Roland was propping himself up on, making him nearly lose his balance again. He looked startled very briefly, then smug as the small fairy leaned in, making Bea even angrier.

"You are the ones kidnapping and robbing innocent families. Tell me, did those halflings really look like well-off merchants to you? Or are you just blind? They had an infant with them and a wheel on their cart that they patched with their own calloused hands. They sold their livelihood as farmers to find a new life somewhere else until you thugs came along and almost took that away from them." Bea kicked off of the table and stepped back, looking at the man with disgust. "And as for us," she continued, pointing at Sylas and herself, "Say whatever you want. I don't really care what you think, but this isn't a job. We're not getting paid to take care of your little camp. We just met a sweet young family on the road only to find their cart destroyed the day after. So save your righteousness speech for someone who actually has the power to deal with assholes like you and doesn't."

Bea took a deep breath to calm herself, her fists clenched at her side until the skin in her hands went white. She was probably playing right into the man's cards losing her temper like that. "Life isn't easy or fair, but don't justify what you do as a means to an end just because of your lack of compassion for others," she added finally.

Bea darted a look at Sylas trying to gauge his reaction to her unprofessional outburst and lowered her eyes. She had told him to take the lead in the conversation, but she lost her cool. Hopefully, he would still be able to get some information out of this Roland despite her interruption.

Sylas watched Rolands face change quickly as Bea rushed in. He could feel her seething as he spoke, and wasn't much surprised when she lashed out. The worst part of it all was neither of them were truly wrong. The halflings were innocents, as were many people who walked the roads, but many bandits were also just people who were shunted out of life due to poverty from greedy landlords and vicious task masters. Sylas sighed, and stepped forward, putting a gentle hand on Bea's shoulder, giving it a small squeeze. He could see anger in her own eyes give way to.. shame? maybe. Or perhaps simply sadness of the whole ordeal. She wasn't alone; being a mercenary was as emotionally taxing as it was physically. More often than not, if you didn't end skewered on tooth or fang, you were handing up the steel because of the weight of the sadness you saw.

Sylas guided Bea a few steps away from the bandit leader. He turned and faced Roland once more, who had regained his composure and dusted himself off after being so shaken by the fairy. "You're naive-" He started to speak, but it became difficult when his mouth and nose were shut forcefully by Sylas's fist. Roland toppled back over the table, which fell backwards into the thief's trove of loot with cacophonous scattering sounds . Roland scrambled upright while Sylas wiped the blood from his knuckled. He had put most of his frustration into that hit, and some clarity finally returned to him. The mage winced at the hit, and whispered under his breath. "Fuckin 'ell..."

"Bea's right. No injury or slight permits any of this. And neither of us are going to debate your position either." Sylas reached down towards Roland, who tried quickly to crawl away but was unable to successfully duck the half orcs large hands. "Bandits steal, but most don't take prisoners unless they are wealthy, and none of them seemed particularly well off to me. I wan't to know why: it would cost you money to feed them, and you don't strike me as a complete animal." Roland struggled, squeezing Sylas's wrists and wringing them as hard as he could, but Sylas didn't budge. From behind them all, the mage spoke up. "We was doin a job for a local ring. Words come out that humanoid livestock is worth coin now, so a lot of camps have taken up trafficking."

Sylas looked back at him, watching his eyes and form, and with a sigh, dropped Roland who skittered back away from the half orc. (Insight 23) He seemed like he was telling the truth. Why would he lie about it? It was a strange thing, and wouldn't get either of them off the hook.

"What do you mean?" Sylas asked the man. The mage rolled his eyes and sat back in one of the chairs. "Alex Wolfe is paying 10gp for each person we can snag off the road. Most of the time we just grab some good silver or a small chest here and there, but now travelers are money: so, we put up some posts and grabbed some rope. Hoped we could get at least 7 more before turning them in to the drop zone. Not sure exactly what they want em for, but none of us are really in the business of asking question. Gave it all up for easy money and a chance at a better life." He reached over and picked up a bottle off the table, taking a swig of what was probably a good red wine. The crimson liquid dribble from the corner of his lips slightly, staining his skin on his chin.

Last edited:
Bea willingly moved as Sylas gave her shoulder a squeeze and oriented her backward a few steps. To her, it seemed to be more of a gesture of protection and reassurance than simply getting her out of the way. She reassumed a stance near the bandit mage, keeping an eye on him. She was surprised, however, when Sylas suddenly slammed his fist into Roland's face with a satisfying crunch. Apparently, she was not the only one with internal frustrations.

Bea listened to the exchange, her eyebrows raising when the mage spoke up instead. She did not quite know that kidnapping was considered rare and unusual, but as the mage spoke and she glanced over to Sylas, he could see a frown forming like a storm on the horizon of the sea. This was definitely not good.

"Really," Bea blurted out again, her tone incredulous. "You're taking people and selling them into slavery?" Bea glared over towards Roland once more as he was still holding a bloody nose and trying to claw himself out of Sylas's grip. "So much for your hatred of the wealthy profiting off of the poor. Now you're just helping the wealthy steal the poor," she hissed angrily.

The very thought of Peter, Gladys, and their baby being sold like livestock made Bea feel sick to her core. Her head whipped over to where the mage was nonchalantly enjoying a glass of wine, speaking matter-of-factly as if they were discussing something as casual as the weather. In an instant, the shadowy visage that echoed Bea's likeless formed next to the mage, reached out towards the glass he held, and crushed it, shattering the glass and the remainder of the wine all over his lap. He yelped and went pale in the face, looking daunted up at the echo, its face cold and expressionlessly staring back at him. "W-what the bloody hell?" He quivered quietly.

Sylas worked hard to control himself in every situation. A man is only as good as he holds himself in front of others, Alfonzo would always say on their late night walks around the ship. When Sylas really felt anger he would try hard to blow it off in training, away from peoples eyes. He tried not to yell and scream, or make any moves that gave away that anything could get to him. Right now, Sylas bit his tongue and gripped his blade so tightly his knuckles began to turn a light shade of lime green, as if he could release the rising tension the harder he gripped it. It was Kael who broke him from the spell.

"Did you take my brother? Tall Wood elf, like me but with long silver hair, un braided? Bright green eyes?" His voice was pleading slightly, which evoked no sympathy from either Roland or the mage. Roland himself stood up and wiped the blood from his leaking nose. "Can't say I have, and even if I did I wouldn't tell you." He spat tiredly, between long breaths. Sylas could see Kael visibly deflate. He himself had once been a slave in the gladiatorial pits in markeev, but in Celeste, slavery was illegal. That the trade would extend here, even illegally, was deeply troubling. And, nothing he could fix now. They still had a Chimera to take down, and something had to be done with these people. He wasn't keen on killing either of them, but he also was not thrilled about the idea of taking them back to samu keev in chains and tack on 2 more days to their travel. Sylas rubbed his chin for a minute, looking around. Eventually, his eyes landed on some stakes and rope, and he walked over and snatched them up.

"Alright, I say we tie them up by the road and leave them there. Adventurers regularly walk the Cerulean Trail. We could leave a note for any of them to take these two into Samu keev and collect the bounty. With luck, they'll be picked up tonight before the sun sets. If you still feel alright, we should try and push on. Are Peter and Gladys alright?"

Bea nodded to Sylas as he inquires about the halfling family. "They're safe. I know where they are. Let's get these two and the others by the road and then I'll go find them." Bea looked out of the open flaps of the tent at the crates and loot stashed around. There were plenty of good carts left. Bea couldn't exactly pick out which of their belongings were truly the halflings', but there was a particular pile that seemed freshly off to the side as if it had been acquired recently.

"That might be their stuff. I'll load it back onto a new cart and take it to them. Do you need help with this?" Bea nodded towards Roland and the bandit mage. It would be good to simmer down by doing a task away from them for now, but she'd help if Sylas needed it.

Kael looked back and forth between Sylas and Bea almost as if he were unsure of what to do now that the situation was relatively resolved. The disappointment was still fresh on his face from the news that these bandits perhaps did not know about his lost brother.

"No" Sylas dismissed her quickly, not wanting to pull her away from taking care of the Halflings. "I'll take care of it, and maybe Kael here can watch my back?" He looked down at the wood elf, who returned the look with a bit of surprise on his face. "Me? Oh, yeah sure." He offered a smile that seemed pretty sincere. Sylas grabbed some rope from off to the side and took a few minutes to tie up their hands tightly. Neither the mage nor Roland protested as he worked. After he finished, he guided them out of the tent , and with Kael's help, they worked on the remaining unconscious bandits, healing and tying them. They found a small cart and loaded the ones who hadn't wakened, and headed through the gates towards the road.

"I appreciate you helping out." Sylas regarded Kael, trying to make small talk. "You lost your brother?" Sylas worried he might have been traipsing over a touchy subject, but Kael didn't seem to recoil or withdraw when Sylas asked.

"Yeah. The temple leaders sent him on a mission to bring light to Markeev, but his letters stopped coming when he got to the southern coast of Celeste. I was trying to retrace his steps." Kael looked forward, his eyes seeming to push beyond the horizon, to the place his brother could possibly be. Losing family was hard: Sylas could feel his own scars ache in response.

"Have you considered putting up a missing persons bounty? We do these kind of things all the time." Sylas tried to sound reassuring, but Kael shook his head. "I don't have enough for the posting fee, and the Temple forbade me from doing so anyways. They said it would interfere with his pilgrimage work and that he was a capable acolyte."

Sylas nodded. "So you set off on your own, with no training in the field and..." Sylas took a quick peek over Kael's person. "... No map." Kael's eyebrows furrowed, and he turned to Sylas with a strong look of defiance in his eyes. "I know these roads! Besides..." The flame quickly doused, and his fierce expression dulled into one of uncertainty once more. "- I couldn't afford to hire people, like I said. And I would be sneakier with just one person anyways."

The mage, still bound at the wrist, chuckled as they walked and listened to the their conversation. "The half orc's right: you were a fool for leaving your temple. You're lucky we got you and not some hungry beast." Kael exuded defeat, and Sylas chose to keep his mouth shut. The mage was an asshole, but he was right. The wilds were no place for an untrained cleric. Thats how most of the missing people cases came about: someone running around in dangerous places with an over inflated sense of confidence about what they could handle.

Sylas sighed as they turned a corner, now by the regular road. He looked up and down the trail, but no one seemed to be moving down this particular stretch at the moment. "Unlucky for you two." Sylas said, setting to work putting the post into the ground and tying each to it individually. After he felt satisfied with the work, he stood and dusted off his hands. "Sit tight, will you?" He smiled at his joke, and turned to the elf, who seemed to have a quick moving look on his face, as if he had just discovered something. "Everything alright?"

"I could come with you!" He exclaimed frantically. "What?!" Sylas was taken aback, confused for a moment. "Come with us? We are kind of on another mission right now.." Sylas tried to let him down easy, but Kael wasn't having it. "Sure, but I'll come with you and help! I'm a talented healer, see?" Kael leaned forward and placed his palm on Sylas. His hand began to glow bright white and Sylas could feel a heat beginning to swell, rapidly expanding. Sylas felt all his no longer stinging or aching wounds warm, and as he looked down, every inch of damage he had sustained was washed away, much faster than when he had used his own healing. This kid was powerful, there was no sensibility in denying it.

Last edited:
After being dismissed, Bea wound her way back out of the tent and threw the camp littered with bodies. Of the ones that she could see, they were all still breathing, which relieved her. Bea would fight her hardest for anyone who needed it but she felt uncertain and fearful at the idea of taking a life. In her mind, people deserved second chances. It was different with monsters and beasts. Easier.

She recalled the moment from earlier when her echo had appeared and plunged its blade through the back of the bandit she'd been fighting. At that moment, her blood had run cold. She thought it was over for the man and that by some weird ethereal extension that she didn't understand yet, she had taken a life. The man stood though, the blade of the shadow missing anything vital.

Shaking the recollection out of her head, Bea got to work filling a cart with supplies and what she had assumed were the halflings' things. Once she was done, she push it to the gate and began to make her way towards the woods where she had told Peter and Gladys to flee and hide. At the tree line, she left the cart and began looking for them. It took some time, but eventually, she found the small couple tucked securely in the undergrowth deeper into the woodlands. She called out as she noticed them, "It's just Bea! It's safe to come out now, we took care of all the bandits." As she approached, the two halflings stood up warily, twigs and leaves stuck to their clothes and hair.

"Th-they're all gone?" Peter asked, a quiver to his voice as he held onto a still weeping Gladys.

"Yes, we've got them all tied up by the road. They shouldn't be a problem for this stretch of travel anymore," Bea smiled softly. Her heart tugged at the idea of what they had to go through in the past day, but she was glad that she and Sylas found them when they did.

"Our baby," Gladys choked out a soft sob, "He needs a healer and we're miles from Samu-Sabriar." As she spoke, Peter looked crestfallen and helpless. Bea looked over the babe she still held close to her. As she'd noticed earlier, his breathing was shallow and raspy. Bea gave them both a reassuring nod, "I think we can help, let's meet back up with Sylas. I think I found your things in the camp and a new cart." They nodded solemnly and let her lead the way out of the woods toward the freshly loaded cart. She pushed it back around the side of the camp and began looking for Sylas and Kael by the road.

Soon enough, she saw them in the distance and waved as she approached, but the expression on her face was grim. She told the couple to wait behind a few paces and jogged up to where the elf and half-orc were talking. "Sylas. Gladys and Peter are fine, but their baby is sick, is there anything you can do?" She looked at him and Kael pleadingly.

Sylas turned his head at Bea's voice, and waived her over. She rode up with the familiar friends they had met the previous day, but before he could say how glad he was to see them both unharmed, Bea explained the situation. Sylas focused on the child, which had gone pale slightly. Its breathing was short and stressed.
Sylas put his hands forward, and a familiar sea green light filled the area, followed quickly by the scent of salty wind. Sylas's brow creased and he began to sweat, but the light began to flicker, then fade. Sylas exhaled loudly, and the light itself faded entirely. "I'm sorry, I'm just tapped out... maybe if I take a rest, maybe.."

Sylas felt a hand on his shoulder, and Kael stepped forward, smiling at the baby. "You are a very strong little light. Shine with the light of Ariadne" He held out his amulet, which shone. All of the light white ivy tattoos that ran up his arms, his neck and over his face lit up light lanterns, and he shone, encasing the child in warm glow. The child's breathing steadied, and his whimper became a healthy child's fascinated giggle. Gladys wept, holding her baby close to her chest, as if it had been drug out from the hands of death. Peter looked up at Kael with his own tears, and put out a hand, which was met by Kael's. "Thank you, cleric. You are touched by gods." Sylas stepped back and let Kael smile with them. He was happy that the child was healed, but he spent a moment looking down at his own hands. He hadn't been enough.. again. Before he could feel too down on himself, Peter stepped forward and grabbed Sylas's hands. "You were magnificent my boy. I couldn't even see you, but you have narry a cut or bruise. You are unmatched. A hero, you and Bea both. I could thank you until the the snow came and it wouldn't be enough."

Sylas nodded at him, but gestured back to the elf. "Actually, I took a few hits. Kael.. healed me entirely." Sylas spoke slowly, coming to appreciate how powerful Kael was. Were all clerics like this? This skinny elf, with no weapon and downtrodden eyes, had healed the world in a way Sylas dreamed he could. Maybe he deserved to be here. Maybe I'm not good enough.

Upon the tiny babe giggling and gurgling happily once more, Bea burst into a smile of glee and relief. She felt the tension in her shoulders lift and her eyes teared up a bit. She wiped them away quickly but turned again to give a big hug to Gladys and Peter. Bea knew that Kael possessed magical talents, but every time Bea witnessed magic she was blown away by how powerful and wonderful it was.

Once the halflings had turned to give Kael their thanks, Bea stepped beside Sylas, noting that his wounds had also been completely mended. She was truly grateful Sylas was okay. They both knew how badly that fight could have gone. It was a risk going into a camp so boldly with only the two of them, but it was a risk worth taking. As Bea looked at Sylas, he seemed lost in a daze, staring toward Kael, filled with thoughts of his own. She gave his arm a gentle squeeze and smiled up at him.

"Hey, I'm glad you're okay. If you didn't hold them off as long as you did, this would have ended badly," as she spoke, her expression softened and her voice lowered to where only he could hear. "You fought well." She released him and stepped back a bit. More hair had fallen into his face, making him look broody, as he had before the battle. Remembering when she'd brushed those very same hairs aside earlier made her cheeks go flush and turned quickly away and towards the others, now calming from their miracle.

Sylas pushed his feelings away as she stepped over, and focused on the sensation of her squeeze on his arm. She thought he was enough. He was enough for her. That was enough.. for now. "Thanks Bea. I'm glad you got everyone out safe."

Before he could begin discussing getting back on track, Kael stepped back towards him and Bea. "Alright! So? I told you I can heal, and do more. I'm worth having around, I swear. Let me come with you!" His eyes grew wide with his pleading look, and Sylas sighed. "I thought you were looking for your brother? We have no plans to stop doing what it is we are doing."

Kael nodded. "True, but you might need me, in case you get hurt again. And besides, I need some help anyways, as you saw. We can help each other here! You come with me and I keep everyone healing and the darkness at bay!"

Bea turned towards Sylas, "He's coming with us?" She asked quizzically, sizing up the elf once more. It was true, he was gifted with magic, but... "Can you fight?" Bea wondered aloud as she looked at Kael. "Earlier when we were fighting, you looked like you tried to hit the mage but he evaded it. Are you going to be okay fighting? We kinda do that a lot..." Bea trailed off, looking at Sylas. Her green friend was right, we would have our own missions to do, including the chimera they still needed to hunt for.

"I can!" Kael cried, his cheeks going rosy in embarrassment. "I can fight, I'll hit something with a spell next time, I swear!" Bea shrugged and smiled. "Okay, well I think you did pretty well out there, so if you're fine with it Sylas."

Sylas cursed under his breath. He should have known better than to trust Bea to let him down easy. She's a lover, and a kind heart, of course she would take him in. Maybe she was right though. If he can fight, and he can heal... not to mention, Sylas had considered starting a guild. They would both need more people for that, including a healer.

Defeated, Sylas crossed his arms. "Hmm... Alright, fine. You can tag along, but stay behind us. I can only heal so much." Sylas watched Kael's face light up, and he brought his arms in in excitement. "This is amazing! Where are we going, anyways?"

"Bandor" Sylas turned to the halflings and nodded. "Will you be getting along safely now?"

Peter scratched his head and chuckled nervously. "Actually, we were hoping that, since you were in the habit of taking on more people, you wouldn't mind if we tagged along your caravan, at least until we headed south towards Samu-Sabriar, eehehehehe.." Oh for fucks sake..

"Yeah, alright" He said, trying not to give away his feelings. He liked traveling alone, and was used to it. Traveling with Bea was nice, because she was sweet and not too loud, and they had good conversations. The Elf was a bit whiney and noisy, but he supposed he would get along. And now, the halflings and the baby to top it all off, who had now begun to cry in his mothers arms, pawing up at her blue cowl with his fat pudgy hands. Great.

Bea suppressed a chuckle at Sylas's obvious duress over the increasingly growing group. From her pack, Bea pulled a soft blue blanket and handed it to Gladys. "We found this with your old cart. It's what tipped us off that you were the ones that had been robbed," Bea smiled sadly, but upon draping it over the crying child, his cries went from shrill and loud to soft, sleepy gurgles. Glayds beamed tearily at everyone once more. "Thank you all again. You saved my family. We're incredibly grateful." Bea bowed her head and gave her another big hug.

Once they were ready to begin onto the road once more, Bea and Sylas made sure they had enough tents and supplies between them all, pilfering some of the unused things from the bandit camp. It was still only about mid-afternoon once they all started traveling again. The scenery was refreshing after the chaos of fighting and made the happy ending all the more enjoyable. Kael tagged along on the back of Arthur, much to Sylas's chagrin of sharing his horse. Willow was hooked up to the cart the Halflings rode in and she guided the caravan towards Samu-Sabriar and Bandor.

Peter and Gladys chatted quietly among one another, occasionally tending to their child. As the babe began to get fussy once more, Peter piped up and said, "Well sonny boy, I suppose it's been a button since you've heard one of pappy's songs, hasn't it?" The baby wailed in reply and Peter nodded, seemingly understanding. "Yes, yes well, then let's play your favorite shall we?" He turned, ruffling through one of the bags Bea had recovered, and pulled out an instrument, something that looked like a small metal bar with holes in the front. At Bea's quizzical face, Peter smiled and answered her thoughts. "It's called a harmonica, little sonny boy here loves it, puts him right to sleep."

With that, Peter placed the metal bar between his lips and blew air into it. A metallic note rang out, reedy and warbling in the ever-dimming sky as dusk approached. Peter slide the bar with his hands, left and right, different notes humming out into the open fields around them accompanied by the distant sound of crashing waves. The melody he played was sad at first, almost lonely, but the notes mixed and swelled, painting a melodic picture of love, loss, and hope. The whole caravan was silent as everyone listened to Peter's song. It was captivating. At first, Bea found the sounds that the harmonica made were rather abrasive and a surprising choice for putting a child to sleep, but the softer tones of the melody were soothing and warm like a summer breeze. The vibration in the sound was relaxing like riding on the back of a moving cart under the starry night sky.

Peter finished on the last couple of notes, ending the score in an uplifting, satisfactory manner, and like a different kind of magic, the babe was fast asleep. "Like a dream," Peter murmured softly, planting a soft kiss on the baby's head. Bea, riding ahead of everyone, her back to the caravan behind her suddenly found that her face was completely wet with tears. She had not realized she started crying, nor did she know quite when it started. She wiped them away, almost curiously. Something about the loneliness in Peter's lullaby hit her harder than she anticipated, but she didn't feel sad. Something told her that the song wasn't meant to be sad.

Rubbing the last of the tears away as discreetly as she could, Bea looked around at their surroundings at a good place to set up camp for the night. The sun had begun setting, sending the sky into a beautiful mural of vibrant oranges and blues. In the distance was a perfect alcove that she had almost missed, tucked behind some trees along a hill that was partially hollowed out on one side (Survival: 21). She pointed over at it and began directing Willow to go off-road.

"Good place to set up camp ahead here," she told the others behind her.

Last edited:
Sylas grumbled quietly, not thrilled at all at the idea of sharing his horse. Arthur, strong as he was, wasn't thrilled at the additional weight either, but they got along anyhow. They spoke as they road, though Sylas remained mostly silent. Kael had conversations with the halflings, and then, the instrument came out. He rolled his eyes at the start and bridled his annoyance by focusing on other things, but after some time he found the music mixing with the breeze and soothing him. It was curious to say the least, but he had known many small folk to make magic with song. Now, he could understand a little bit why.

As the day wore on and Bea pointed out a good stopping point, he helped lead them to the alcove and dismounted. giving Arthur a gracious pat, plenty of food and water and some time to rest and sit. The halflings stowed their cart off to the side, and began unpacking some things, setting up a small tent and getting some cooking equipment out for dinner. Gladys, still swaddling the baby, worked with a fascinating amount of efficiency to set up the tent with Peter, as well as unload other things like small stools, and buckets: Anything they might need. Why Sylas had finished Bea set up the tent, Gladys walked up to him and handed him the bucket. "Would you mind terribly finding some water for everyone?"

Sylas smiled and took the bucket, putting it down in front of her and holding out his hand. "No need, Gladys." Sylas focused on his magic and felt his mana, taking hold of it and forming it into a familiar shape. Water began to fill in the bucket of water, and rose quickly to the top until it was completely full. Sylas smiled and handed it back to Gladys, who's shocked look gave way to a beaming smile. "You truly can do anything. I'm sure your mother is proud of you, such a helpful and kind man." She took the bucket and brought it back to where Peter sat, working on some wood carving project, and she took some clothes from a pile she had withdrawn and began to wash them, humming a low tune as she worked. Sylas watched for a moment, and thought about her words. His mother... The singular memory of a soft voice in the dark swirled through the back of his mind, like a teasing wind. "Sylas..... I'm so sorry.... my baby.."

After a moment he stood up and made his way towards Bea and Kael. "I'm going to find some fire wood. I'll be back shortly."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back