• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy On Thunders Wings

Everyone set about their various tasks for setting up camp for the night. Sylas miraculously made water out of thin air, which the small fairy gawked at from a distance. Was there nothing that one couldn't accomplish with magic? She thought in awe. After a moment though, Sylas got up abruptly and began walking away, his tone of voice strange and distant as he spoke. Bea watched him go worriedly but got the feeling he really needed a moment to himself (Insight: 22). "Okay..." She chirped after him, a bit unsure.

Meanwhile, everyone began to settle. The horses were cared for, nibbling at feed and swishing their tails contently. The halfling family was fiddling with their own tasks in a way that almost seemed wildly normal to Bea after the day they had. She gave them credit for rolling with the punches so well.

Kael set about erecting a tent of his own after Sylas left, though after many moments of staring at the pieces and attempting to assemble them haphazardly, Bea walked over. "Mind if I help you?" She asked, smiling kindly at the wood elf. He seemed flustered by his current predicament, but his face looked sheepish as she approached. He nodded and Bea began putting the poles and tarp in place properly. "Don't worry, this gets easier over time. I had to watch Sylas pitch tents a few times before I really understood how they worked."

Eventually, Kael had a functional tent and when the work was done, he smiled in awe. "Thank you. I don't think I'd ever have ever gotten that right. I was starting to think that sleeping on the ground under the stars didn't seem that bad," he chuckled nervously, trailing a hand back through his long white hair. "It's all well and good until it starts raining," Bea giggled in reply.

Up close, Bea noticed that Kael had intricate, white designs on his face that trailed and intertwined from the top of his forehead down to a point on the bridge of his nose. Two other designs swirled together similarly under each eye, right above his cheekbones. At her staring, Kael's face began changing colors, steadily getting more and more red. "Ummm..." he started uncomfortably.

Bea snapped out of her trance in surprise, "Oh sorry! Um, your face markings, I've never seen anything like them. They're beautiful," she explained. He seemed to relax a bit, a finger raising to subconsciously itch his cheek as he turned slightly away bashfully. "Oh those, a lot of elves have them, wood elves, at least. My brother has them too."

"Wood elves? Are you born with them?" Bea asked dubiously, causing Kael to burst suddenly into laughter. "I'm sorry for laughing, I don't think I've been asked that before. Not exactly, they're tattoos. They can be painted when an elf is young, but when they come of age, they're marked permanently in the skin," he explained. Though nervous and seemingly self-conscious, when he laughed and smiled, one could tell that Kael was kind. He had a sort of boyish youth in his demeanor that was endearing.

"Oh! Do you mind if I ask what they're for?" She probed. She wasn't sure if she was being intrusive or not, there was so much more about the world that she wanted to know and learn from.

Kael seemed to think about it for a moment, "Well, I'm not sure how to explain it. It's a long-standing tradition with wood elves. Parts of it stem from the Elvish language and the symbols that make up our names and identities. It's like a marker of who we are and who we aspire to be, if that makes sense," he shrugged. Bea nodded slowly as she listened. "I think I understand, that's pretty awesome!" She smiled genuinely. "I don't think I've met many elves yet, so thank you for telling me."

Kael smiled politely but seemed a little puzzled. "I've not met very many fairies myself either, I suppose. Elves are fairly common though, are you not from the Feywilds?" He asked. Bea blinked at him, trying to remember where she'd heard that word before, Sylas most likely mentioned it when telling her where fairies typically originated, but she couldn't remember. "I don't know," she answered honestly. "I could be, but I don't remember anything about my life earlier than a couple of weeks ago." Her tone was matter-of-fact and she shrugged her shoulders as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Kael, however, clearly did not see it that way. "What? Like anything? Where you're from, who you are?" He asked incredulously. The last question stung a little, but she knew he didn't mean anything by it.

"Nope nothing, aside from my name. Sylas found me washed up on a beach outside of Samu-Keev. I know how to fight and know that some things exist without being told, like seasons, but I don't have any memories of what they're like or of anything else," Bea answered, this time a little more glumly. Kael, sensing the sensitivity of the subject seemed to put a stopper on the million questions that desperately swam behind his eyes. "I'm sorry," he replied finally after a moment of silence. Bea nodded. She understood what he meant, it was not an apology for his line of questioning, but for the fact that it happened in the first place. Bea was sorry too sometimes but in a way, it had given her amazing opportunities. If she hadn't ended up the way she had, she might not have been there today to save Kael, Peter, and Gladys. So despite everything, she was truly glad.

The two of them moved to the center of camp and sat down where the fire would be going. They were both quiet now, seemingly thoughtful about their conversation. Bea passively wondered how Sylas's trip hunting for firewood was going.

Last edited:
The sun had plummeted, now falling slowly behind the tree line. Rays of golden light faded between the standing trunks, lighting up the moss and bark around their fringes. The sound of wind through the treetops mixed with the dull roar of the nearby creek. The land itself sloped down quickly to the water's edge, and as Sylas moved towards it, he had to hold onto trees jutting out of the side of the land so as not to slip on the slicked stones and dead leaves that coated the ground.

For more than 20 minutes he roamed the banks and hill for firewood. He had already found a good stack of wood that would supply them well into the night, and needed no other sticks. Rather, he now roamed just to let his mind wander and take a breath. Sylas stepped down the creeks edge, heading to a large pool where the rushing water seemed to come to rest for some time, before making its way to the other edge and continuing its long journey downward to what was most likely a larger basin, or perhaps even a lake. He placed down his kindling bundle, perched between a jutting stone and gnarled scrub tree tuck that pinched them tightly enough that they sat still. He turned and crouched low by the waters edge, cupping his hands and bringing the clear cool liquid to his face and hair, letting it trickle down his form and dampen the top fringes of his cotton shirt.

Sylas had always felt more comfortable when touching water: something about its cooling nature always kept him grounded, focused. When he was frustrated, confused or anxious, he would train until he was covered in sweat, then he would bathe in cool water. Creeks were good. The sensation of the running water over him connected him to nature, letting him relax.

He shook his hands free of drip and wiped them off on his pants. He looked down into the river and took in his own shaky reflection, shuttering in the rushing stream. The last memory he had of his mother.. Sylas closed his eyes, and remembered the sand, the heat. He remembered the feeling of the mace meeting his cheek: the pain of the impact, the cracking of bones. Sylas collapsed to the ground, the pain quickly shifting and fading into a numbness. The world around him shivered, pulsed with the beat of his own heart. His hot blood ran from his nose and mouth, pooling quickly into the sand. He could see his own broken face in the blood, and a million miles away he could hear Kreea's screaming, like a whisper. And then her voice wrapped itself around his mind like a blanket: a simple memory once lost to him, dislodged in the blow. Sylas... My son... I'm so sorry.

Sylas opened his eyes and looked down at the stream. He lifted his hand to his face: mended long ago, with no blood and pain. That voice had called him her son. Was it...? Sylas look around at the creek and trees, the sun now completely gone. The night sky was awash in a sea of stars, glittering brightly. How long have I been sitting here? Shit.

Sylas rose to his feet quickly, grabbing the wood he had stacked down before the sun set. By the wood he saw a single stalk of a growing purple flower. It's petals seemed to unfurl under the starlight and twinkle, its stems glowing so gently in the dark. (Nature 11) Something about it seemed to stick in the back of his mind, but he couldn't identify the pestering prickle that it should mean more. It just seemed vibrant, like Bea. He quickly reached down and plucked it gingerly, tucking it away in a small pouch. Then, refocused, he grabbed the wood and made his way back to camp. Judging by how far the sun had fallen (completely) he had been gone at least an hour. Hopefully they wouldn't worry about him. Bea would probably chew him out for disappearing like that.

Eventually, Sylas broke into the alcove circle with the wood. "Sorry I'm late. I got lost." He lied, hoping they would buy it. (Deception 13)

Bea and Kael sat by the cold middle of the camp as the sun sank lower and lower. The fairy grew worried about her partner but felt in his gut that he needed this time to himself alone. It had been a hard day, even with their success. While they waited for the eventual firewood, Gladys cooed and rocked her baby, the two of them slowly falling asleep together in their tent, the open flaps of their tent fluttering gently in the breeze of the night air.

Peter quietly played his harmonica, not making much conversation, but stopping every once in a while to point out different constellations or to blurt a wayward thought that came to mind. Kael and Bea sat mostly silent, only chirping up when prompted by Peter. The evening was calm and peaceful and the gentle hooting of an owl called somewhere unseen in the sparse woodland.

Just as Bea was about to jump up and elect to go look for their half-orc companion, Sylas appeared with a sizeable amount of kindling in tow. At his excuse, Sylas's eyes shifted, not meeting Bea's. He most certainly did not get lost (Insight: 20). He was a better navigator than she was, but she nodded along, not wanting to pry.

"I'm glad you made it back, it was just starting to get chilly," Bea smiled at him and aided him in building the fire. Once it was ready to be lit, Kael edged over. "I can get that for you," he offered quietly. He held up an index finger and the tip of it began to glow and then burst into flame. He bent down, careful to keep his hair out of the way as he lit the kindling. He sat back once it was finished looking accomplished. "Cleric of the path of light," he explained with a shrug, "It's kinda my thing."

Sylas nodded as they took the wood, and he built with them. After Kael lit the fire, Sylas sat back against his pack, and stretched out his feet. He took off one boot, then the next, and let them rest by the flames as he warmed his feet. After the fire itself got going, both Peter and Gladys stepped in and with some noise, the clattering of cook wear and the mild musings of Sunday dinner conversation, they began to tend the hearth like it was home. In a way, it was a bit irritating: Sylas had gotten used to Bea's company and the intimacy of sharing the stars with her. Now instead he caught her eye and gave her an I'll tell you later look as she sat between the halflings and the priest.

But in another way.. it was kind of nice; having the company, and the small feeling of revelry of watching people go about their evening like nothing bad in the world could happen. It could put him at ease, if he weren't careful.

Peter put his pot of water on the fire and let it come to a boil, adding vegetables and meats to the mix and humming as he went, and Sylas watched on for a moment, before turning back to the priest, who had taken to praying quietly. And so, Sylas turned his eyes the the dainty and fierce fairy who sat across the flames, and he smiled. "You did really well out there today. I know it can be hard sometimes, crossing blades with people. Not the same as slaying some beast that just eats and kills. But you saved everyones lives here. I'm proud of you." He nodded at her, hoping that his face in firelight wouldn't blush much as he sung her praise.

Bea gave him a half smile. Part of her felt warm from his words, but another part ran coldly through her veins. "I don't know what I expected with fighting people... it was... harder," her voice trailed off thoughtfully.

She'd almost killed a man today. Well, the echo-like mirage of herself almost did, but Bea knew deep down that whatever that echo was, it ultimately was an extension of herself. It followed her will... and it definitely had tried to go for the kill and the man had survived the blow. The thought sent a shiver down her spine.

She did not want to kill people. They did bad things, maybe bad enough to make them qualify as monsters in their own right... but it didn't feel like it was up to her to decide their fate and judge them. How could Bea think she knew what someone deserved when she barely knew herself? This train of thought had her chewing heavily on her bottom lip, only the raw skin breaking way to the taste of iron breaking her out of the spiral.

Bea looked around again at everyone gathered around the fire. Content and alive. That's what mattered. She and Sylas had saved people today. Bea had seen the man slain at the gate of the bandit camp. Sylas had killed, but oddly she did not judge him either. He did what he thought was necessary... and perhaps it was naive to think that everything could be solved without taking lives.

"You're right," she spoke again after a while, her eyes once again meeting Sylas's gold ones through the flickering flames on the other side of the fire. "Everyone's safe now. It wasn't just me, though." She smiled more fully now, giving him a coy look. "You really knocked some heads out there. I think one bandit might have wet himself before running off."

Kael looked up from his prayer when he was finished, his face blanching a bit as if remembering Sylas on the battlefield, "You were both pretty amazing... in a frightening way," he added quietly.

Sylas smiled, nodding as they spoke. He drew his own blade gently and pulled out his oil and cloth from his bag, and he dabbed some of the liquid onto the cloth. He moved it over the steel with familiar motions, cleaning and oiling it. "There will be more fights like that." He offered Kael plainly. He lifted his eyes up to see the elf's face drop in the firelight.

He wasn't trying to upset him, so much as he was trying to keep the threat available. To be fair, Sylas could tell the kid had potential as a spell caster. Clerics were useful healers and magic users, and it would be a boon for Bea and him to have his talents available to them. He seemed mostly positive, or at least full of spirit. But there would be more danger coming forward. Sometimes they would be going in blind, and sometimes there would be no frontline and backline: they could end up surrounded, or worse. If he really was going to come and work with them, expecting to convince us to go find his brother, he would have to prove himself able to hold up in danger like this on a regular basis.

Kael nodded. "I can handle myself." He spoke with quiet indignation, and he looked downward. Sylas shrugged.

"So you want to be an adventurer?" Sylas asked, trying to be gentle with his words. Kael pulled his hair out of his face and leaned back, taking a small sip of water.

"It wasn't my first hope." He said softly. "I was an acolyte in Ariadne's temple. My brother and I were taken in as children, and raised as temple hands. I was content being a servant there, but after my brother left..." Kael stopped, as if the memory had become painful to recount. He sighed, and turned his head off to the side.

"No one there would tell me what was going on, not really anyways. They told me he was going on a mission for the temple, but he never would have left without telling me. I think something happened to him, and they wouldn't send someone to find him. So, i'm going to find him." He puffed out his chest slightly at then end, like he had caught some wind in his own sails.

Sylas sheathed his blade, now well cleaned and oiled, and took a bowl of the stew from peter, who had begun to pass them around. "Careful, make sure to blow on it: its still hot!" Peter said as he handed it off. Sylas nodded in thanks, before turning back to Kael.

"Well not everyone signs up by choice I guess." Sylas raised a spoon full of the hot stew to his mouth and blew the rising steam away from the mixture, before taking a bite. The hot mixture was surprisingly full of flavor, and it relaxed his muscles the more he ate. He took a few more bites, and put his spoon back in his bowl and wiped his mouth. "So, any idea where your brother might have gone then?"

"Maybe he needed a vacation!" Gladys offered in a cheery low tone, trying to keep the baby resting who she had now softly swaddled in her arms.

Bea ate the bowl of stew she was given and listened to Kael talk about how he got here. It was a noble effort to go and look for his brother... but he was lucky that the bandits were taking hostages. Glancing over at Gladys and Peter though, she reminded herself that they too were lucky to be alive. Bea was glad that they were all safe.

She chewed on the chunky bits of potato thoughtfully. Something about Kael's story bothered her, "You said that you were both temple hands? What would they be doing sending acolytes on missions?" Bea looked at Sylas with a troubled expression as she wondered aloud. She wasn't very sure about how things worked around here, but surely this was bizarre. Perhaps acolytes had religious duties that sometimes required travel?

"What town does your temple hail from?" She continued, this time looking at Kael when she spoke.

"I am originally from Samu-Sett: we both are.. were." Kael said quickly, with pride. Sylas nodded, thinking about the golden city. It was beautiful, lavish and clean: The capital of the celeste coast, and home to the golden kind Thendus Celeste. No doubt whatever temple Kael hailed from in the capital city was lavish and large.

Sylas turned to Bea. "It's not entirely uncommon for clerics to travel. Some clerics journey as a part of a religious rite, and some do work on the road: healing people as they go. (religion 5) Sylas thought back to what he knew about the members of the temple of Ariadne, but struggled to remember anything pertinent. "Either way, if you say he didn't just up and leave, I would say you were the expert. Maybe we can keep an eye out on the road. So Kael, you ever seen a Chimera before?"

Both the halflings stopped and looked at Sylas with a stare, and Kael's face turned a few shades paler. "A... what?" He choked out.

Sylas smiled knowingly, almost confidently. "Well, since you are insistent on coming with us, it seems only fair that you know what it is that we are hunting."

Peter took his glasses off and wiped them. "Those are incredibly aggressive, from what I heard. Nasty, fire breathing monsters. I know you too are strong, but is that really wise for you both to take on?" His concern was understandable. Chimeras were not entirely well known, but those who knew them were either rightfully afraid, or typically dead.

Sylas nodded. "Nothing to worry about: We have a new cleric with us, rounding out our team. Isn't that right, Kael?" He looked at the boy who was quivering very quietly. He managed a small nod. "Happy to.. be a part.. of the team." He mustered finally.

Sylas turned to Bea with a bit more of a serious nature. "Depending on what we find, plans its you and I take opposite sides. Keep it turning and on its heels. Kael here will act as support, and keep the healing up. Once we get it off guard, whoever is behind it goes for a death blow. Obviously, we will have to do some on our feet thinking, and this is also assuming we find it before it finds us. But hey, now we have a little support. Welcome to the team, Kael." Sylas was teasing him slightly, and he had felt slightly annoyed that some kid who probably didn't know what they were doing was trying to ride along a dangerous mission: after all, Sylas would hold himself personally responsible if he allowed him along and then he got hurt. But... something about him was good. Powerful, even. The kid had spirit, and he was kind. And his magic was better than he had seen a lot of people cast. Not that he was an expert at it, but still. Sylas smiled genuinely. Maybe.. just maybe.... this was the start of the guild he had been dreaming of.

Bea rolled her eyes at Sylas as he poked fun at the elf. She could see his hesitation, but underneath that was a steady-burning determination. Bea had never fought or even seen a chimera before, but if Sylas seemed confident, then they could handle it. They were going to do it with just the two of them after all, three just made their odds even better.

"It will be fine," Bea soothed, giving Kael a sympathetic smile. "If it starts going sour, we'll bail, but with Sylas's experience, your magic, and my... um..." she looked down at herself for a moment, "swords... we'll be fine!" She finished her point confidently, hands on her hips. Kael didn't look too convinced, but at least he seemed to get some color back to his complexion.

With Bea's bowl of stew devoured, she stood up and stretched. "It's getting late," she mused, looking up at the blanket of stars above them. "Who wants to take first watch?"

"I'll take it" Sylas nodded. No reason to tell them he had taken a small accidental nap in the trees, and had probably a bit more energy than the rest of them. "I'll wake you for second, ok Bea?"

The stars tonight were clear, dazzling and twinkling beyond the treetops. No clouds dared step in front of the sight either. It had cooled down for sure, but the fire was holding steady with a calming crackling and relaxing heat. He relaxed himself for the evening as people settled in. It didn't take people long to eventually turn in, until Sylas was alone with the deep breathing, the forest sounds and the fire. There was stillness in the air, a calmness that came from life. Sylas liked their new home, and he was excited to make much out of it, but something about being in the world, and seeing new places was also.. alluring. At that moment, listening to the breath of the trees, Sylas wasn't sure he could ever settle down in one place.

Sylas leaned back and took deep breaths, resting and closing his eyes. His ears twitched as he searched the evening soundscape. listening for anything around him. (Perception 20) Sylas listened as he heard the sound of animals dart through the trees: rabbits, maybe a fox. He could hear the insects cry out to each other, calling for families and mates. He could hear the soft sounds of the creek burble down a way's away from the camp, and the wind rustle in a swirling swish through the leaves above. And, he heard the soft foot falls of someone approaching behind him.

Sylas grabbed his blade beside him, and half drew his long sword, turning to find the face of Peter strolling up to his log. "Woah, easy there Sylas. Just coming to enjoy the night." He whispered with his hands in the air, and Sylas sighed and stowed the steel back in its cover. "Thought everyone had gone to sleep." He added, sitting back down.

"Oh, I'm sure most everyone has tucked in and faded off." He said with a smile, and he took his glasses off and began to rub the lenses with the bottom of his shirt as he sat down beside the half orc. "You've been doing this for a while, haven't you?" Peter said in hushed tones. He didn't look at Sylas; he didn't need to. Sylas nodded.
"Longer than some"

Peter smiled and returned his now polished spectacles to his face. "That Kael seems like a nice young man. Full of heart. I had a kid like that helping on my farm back in the day." Peter's eyes closed as he reminisced. "He was always smiling, looked just like his mother. Good kid, and he loved helping people."

Sylas nodded. He had known some people like that. There were plenty of young men and women signing up to be adventurers every day, with naive glints in their eyes, much like Bea's. Well, sort of like Bea's. She had a glint in her eye, but it was less inexperience and more just a level of joy that seemed to persist through her. Something about it made Sylas smile.

"Anyways, just stopping by to talk a bit. Won't be too long now until the sun come, ya know? Time always seems to slip away from you at night, I think. I always wished I had more young nights." Peter nodded, as if agreeing with himself. Sylas wasn't quite sure if he was getting at something, or just enjoying talking to someone.

After a moment of quiet that was really only hushed forest noises, Sylas relaxed more and leaned back, putting his weight against the leaning log they both were sitting against. "I wasn't always an adventurer. I used to be a sailor for a while. Spent a lot of time on the ocean, moving from one port to the next. Sailed through storms and gales alike, too. Though I have to say, I think I'm happier now, doing what i'm doing."

Peter perked up as he spoke, listening to each word. "SAILING! Hooooowee, now that sounds like an adventure. Whats it like, sailing at night? And those waves! How does it feel to have the world shift beneath your feet?"

Sylas let his own mind wander, back to powerful memories that struck even his senses. He talked about the swaying seas that rocked the ship as it carved towards the endless skyline, and the wind that blew over your skin and through your hair like a mothers fingers caressing her child's face. He explained the proper way to tie a heaving line hitch, and what it felt like to take night watch and see the stars reflect in the sea, and feeling so endlessly surrounded by light and dark. Peter listened and added in his own memories, about how he first met Gladys, and the times he spent growing up with his brothers, and how he had always dreamed to open a shop in Demorae before the empire collapsed.

Peter laughed as they spoke, and Sylas chuckled along with him, enjoying the moment of reprieve. After a long moment as the collected themselves, Peter sighed contentedly, and slapped his knees as he leaned forward and stood up. "I suppose it's time for me to sleep before we ride tomorrow. You're good company, Mr Sylas."

Sylas nodded, still smiling from their conversation. "Thank you peter. You have a lovely wife. I think your baby is going to live a very full happy life with you both around."

Peter stopped for a moment, and turned back to Sylas. "It's good to have friends, Mr. Sylas. To have good people, with good hearts around: its a blessing. Sometimes they're life long friends-" He looked over at Kaels tent. "- And sometimes... they're more than friends." He turned and looked at Bea's tent. "Make sure you make time in your journeys for your friends, Mr. Sylas."

Sylas nodded, and watched him walk away towards his own tent, where Gladys was almost assuredly deep asleep now. Sylas looked back out into the dark of the night, and thought about everything that had happened, as well as his close bond that flourished with Bea. Even if nothing happened... he was happy that she was here. He took to his bag and pulled out some familiar coffee beans and began making a small pot on the fire.

Sylas stood, and crept over to her tent, and slipped in and placed a hand on the sleeping Faeries shoulder to give her a small shake. "Up and at em, Bea. Second watch time. I got coffee on the fire for you."

Bea stirred reluctantly at Sylas's touch, cozy and warmly snuggled into her bedroll. The strong smell of something nutty and earthy filled the cool air and the crackle of the fire cast a soft orange glow through the open flaps of the tent as Sylas's head poked through it. "Mmmm..." Bea grumbled, only half convinced by the beckoning of coffee and a warm fire. With a sigh and a stretch, she nodded to her companion and ushered herself out into the night. It was still dark out but the moon was beginning to hang low in the starry sky.

"How was the watch?" She asked as she made herself a cup of coffee, "See any more bandits?" She gingerly took a sip, the liquid still hot and steaming into the air like a beacon of warmth. She side-eyes Sylas, but pretended to be more interested in her newly acquired beverage. She was still unsure of how he was doing emotionally after the strange dreams and the fight. He had been so battle-focused and then immediately preoccupied with our unexpected over-night company... Bea doubted he'd been able to take much of a beat for himself except for his lone watch.

Sylas sat back and watched her pour herself a cup, still rubbing some of the sleep out of her eyes. "It was good" He said with a smile blooming slowly on his face. "No bandits. Seems they took the hint after yesterday. Personally I think you scared them away. People aren't used to seeing a someone fly at them... or summon shadows." He looked her over as he spoke, looking to see how she would react. He was looking maybe for some insight into what it was specifically that she was doing, but instead he found himself just stuck looking into her eyes for longer than he should have. Sylas felt his heart beat tighten and twist, and he looked down. Holy shit.

He liked her?! Fuck.... that would make everything more complicated. He can't like her.. he barely knows her. He only knows... thats she's kind, and loves to smile. She's brave when times are hard, and loves travel and life. She's skillful and willful and full of life. Yeah, he barely knows her. Sylas felt himself droop slightly. He really did have feelings for Bea.

If he told her, she might not like him the same way. And what if its just the night air? Or the lighting. Maybe it would be best to simply sleep it off. And if he told her now, and it distracted her or him during their mission... that could get someone killed. No, it was not the time. Maybe never would be the time.. maybe. He looked back up at her and smiled, seeing her beautiful face in the night air, the way her hair curled down around her face: her gentle, skillful hands clasped tenderly around the steaming mug, and he shoved the welling sensation down as hard as he could.

"So, how are you liking traveling so far?"

Bea chuckled nervously at his quip. She wasn't so sure why she was summoning shadows either. Maybe it wasn't common... no- it definitely wasn't. What was more disturbing was that it looked like her. It was hardly some mistake or passable as not her own doing when it had her face— contorted into a steely, unwavering glare.

Bea shuffled uncomfortably, hoping that this strange ability of hers wasn't some sort of bad omen. She didn't want to worry about being spurned by the Gods or something on top of also needing her memories back. Sylas, Bea noticed, had been staring at her intently, probably waiting for a more concrete answer. She was about to bluster out some sort of explanation or excuse when suddenly— he changed the subject.

"Oh," she managed, taken aback, "I am liking it a lot. The coast is beautiful and there's a lot to see and do here from what I can tell." Slowly, a grin spread across her face, revealing the dimples that marked her cheeks. "Getting paid to fight monsters and kick bandits to the dirt isn't so bad either." She chuckled softly and gazed upwards towards the starry sky. "More than anything though, I'm glad we're helping people."

She sat there for. moment, thoughtfully before looking back at Sylas with a smile. "Anyway, enough of my mushy crap, you're probably tired. I'll keep an eye on everyone for the rest of the night," she gave him a playful nudge on the arm. Unsurprisingly, it did not budge even a little bit at her attempt.

Sylas nodded. He was feeling tired, and some rest would be good. He cleared his mind with practiced discipline, focusing entirely on the hunt tomorrow. They would be ready. He felt a ripple of anticipation wash over his muscles as he envisioned them standing before the beast and surging forward, striking at it with fury. Focus.

Sylas slapped a hand on the fallen oak and rose with a grunt, stretching slightly and heading over to his tent and slipped in, falling asleep almost before he really settled in. His dreams were deep, and mostly just a deep void.

The sun crept through the cracks of the canvas in Sylas's tent like a thief, drawing the sleep from his eyes, and he shuffled uncomfortably, still trying to hold tight to the now fleeting repose. He opened his eyes with a defeated yawn and leaned up, lifting his arms and raising them towards the top of the tent. He slunk out of his tent and looked around: people had begun to move early this morning, which he had not been apart of. Peter and Gladys had already packed and were affixing things to their cart. Even Kael, the new boy had nearly finished getting himself ready for travel. Sylas sighed and went and gathered some leftovers from breakfast and ate quickly, before returning to his own things and gathering them quickly. in less than an hour, they were all ready to hit the road again. It was a cool morning, but the sun rays were nice and warm. From where they stood, you could still see the the hill slowly slope down the the coast, hindered only by rocky outlooks and sparse trees, and the long path of the Celeste trail: You could see the fork where the trail ended as well, maybe 10 miles down the way, where Peter and Gladys would head south for Samu-Sett, and Bea and him, along with Kael, would take the trail east towards Bandor.

Sylas mounted his horse, and together they rode south towards the end of the trail. After about an hour, they reached the split, and Sylas turned to their halfling companions.

"Safe travels!" Pete said from atop his sitting bench on the front of his cart. "Hopefully we won't see you again unless its at our new home!" He chuckled, and Sylas smiled softly. It would be interesting to see their place: a quiet farm in the south shore, removed from the hubbub of the trail. Gladys leaned forward with her babe to her chest, and smiled at all three of them. "You are ALWAYS welcome at our hearth. Be safe out there!"

Kael smiled back at them and nodded politely. "Ariadne's light be with you both." Sylas turned to Bea and Kael after the two halflings had begun to roll their cart away. "I am ready for the journey" Kael said quickly, his tone firm and serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back